PDA

View Full Version : Barron's Position

steeler_george
03-24-2019, 12:06 PM
I am not even sure the coaching staff knows yet. I think they have him penciled in at both positions, waiting on what happens in the draft.

1) At ILB, if we fail to grab Bush ( forget about White he is going to be long gone) and the odds of us getting him look slim. Would there be another ILB in the draft who could be an upgrade over him?

He could play ILB and us draft a S, and move Edmunds ( I think probably his natural position) to hybrid-safety.

2) If we do get Bush, then he goes to S.

Your thoughts....Where do you think Barron is going to play for us? Is it ILB or is it the dimebacker/ hybrid safety? And how is his role going to affect the draft.

brothervad
03-24-2019, 12:28 PM
ok if they fail for the second year in a row to draft in the early round (1 or 2) a game ready ILB I am gonna officially start a thread "FIRE COLBERT WATCH!"

I agree with Dulac's comment in his chat earlier this week (I know draftniks will hate this)

Someone stated how Steeler fans don't understand the cost of trading up and the draft capital (a draftnik for sure) and asked

Do you feel that one of these two guys are a must-get or that we should spend our draft capital on more personnel that could pan out, but aren't sure-things?

his response:
Gerry Dulac: The Steelers don't need more personnel. They need specific personnel. They don't need 10 draft choices. They're just wasting them and their time. They need five, six tops. I'd package as many as I can to move up as high as I can in the first or second round, even the third. They have plenty of bodies. Find me a player

I agree...enough of this nonsense of Colbert's of picking that diamond in the rough tweener in the 5th round and stating we filled out ILB need only to fail.

brothervad

SidSmythe
03-24-2019, 01:40 PM
ok if they fail for the second year in a row to draft in the early round (1 or 2) a game ready ILB I am gonna officially start a thread "FIRE COLBERT WATCH!"

I agree with Dulac's comment in his chat earlier this week (I know draftniks will hate this)

Someone stated how Steeler fans don't understand the cost of trading up and the draft capital (a draftnik for sure) and asked

Do you feel that one of these two guys are a must-get or that we should spend our draft capital on more personnel that could pan out, but aren't sure-things?

his response:
Gerry Dulac: The Steelers don't need more personnel. They need specific personnel. They don't need 10 draft choices. They're just wasting them and their time. They need five, six tops. I'd package as many as I can to move up as high as I can in the first or second round, even the third. They have plenty of bodies. Find me a player

I agree...enough of this nonsense of Colbert's of picking that diamond in the rough tweener in the 5th round and stating we filled out ILB need only to fail.

brothervad

Complete Agreement.
I'd like to trade up into the 2nd round and also end up with another pick for next yr.

10 draft picks after signing 3 FAs with a win now mentality isn't happening. That would mean cutting at least 3 probably 4 draft picks.

As for BARRON - He's a plug and play type ... Edmunds will be in the mix also so I think the Steelers would pass on BUSH at 20.

I'm guessing BARRON is their guy .... OR he's another Morgan Burnett and BARRON is insurance for BUSH like Burnett was Insurance for Edmunds.

steeler_george
03-24-2019, 02:09 PM
Complete Agreement.
I'd like to trade up into the 2nd round and also end up with another pick for next yr.

10 draft picks after signing 3 FAs with a win now mentality isn't happening. That would mean cutting at least 3 probably 4 draft picks.

As for BARRON - He's a plug and play type ... Edmunds will be in the mix also so I think the Steelers would pass on BUSH at 20.

I'm guessing BARRON is their guy .... OR he's another Morgan Burnett and BARRON is insurance for BUSH like Burnett was Insurance for Edmunds.

Are you saying that we will pass and not draft Bush at 20?

hawaiiansteel
03-24-2019, 02:41 PM
Are you saying that we will pass and not draft Bush at 20?

I'm pretty sure if Bush is there at #20 we run to the podium to turn in the card.

steeler_george
03-24-2019, 03:19 PM
I'm pretty sure if Bush is there at #20 we run to the podium to turn in the card.
I think it is a no brainer if he is there. He might make it past 10...

And that is what scares me, last year we failed to take an ILB in the first round, and we thought none were worth their value in the other rounds. So what is our option #3...

hawaiiansteel
03-24-2019, 03:21 PM
Breaking Down Mark Barron: The most savvy move of a pleasantly surprising Steelers Free Agency period

The Pittsburgh Steelers have been shockingly active in free agency, and Mark Barron might be the most savvy move they made.

By cliff harris
Mar 21, 2019

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/3/21/18271416/breaking-down-mark-barron-the-most-savvy-move-of-a-surprising-steelers-free-agency-period-nfl-news

steeler_george
03-24-2019, 03:54 PM
Breaking Down Mark Barron: The most savvy move of a pleasantly surprising Steelers Free Agency period

The Pittsburgh Steelers have been shockingly active in free agency, and Mark Barron might be the most savvy move they made.

By cliff harris
Mar 21, 2019

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/3/21/18271416/breaking-down-mark-barron-the-most-savvy-move-of-a-surprising-steelers-free-agency-period-nfl-news

Aloha, by the sound of that article, it sounds as if Barron is going to be our starter weakside inside linebacker, and a shift to hybrid safety on subpackages....

hawaiiansteel
03-24-2019, 06:07 PM
Aloha, by the sound of that article, it sounds as if Barron is going to be our starter weakside inside linebacker, and a shift to hybrid safety on subpackages....

yup, Barron may very well not come off the field...

SidSmythe
03-24-2019, 06:24 PM
yup, Barron may very well not come off the field...

Why I don't see them drafting BUSH with so many other holes.
The signing of Spencer didn't exactly give us much security at CB especially with HADEN in his last yr of contract.

Disco1981
03-24-2019, 06:37 PM
Complete Agreement.

This!.....I said this in an earlier thread...We don't NEED 10 draft picks!...We NEED 5-6 good draft picks...I don't know about trading up in the 1st, But I would be happy to trade up like twice...And have like 5 picks in thd 1st 3 rounds...Or 6-7 picks in the the 1st 4 rounds, and be done...Quality over Quantity!

brothervad
03-24-2019, 07:18 PM

By cliff harris
Mar 21, 2019

<Sarcasm>Complete Balderdash...I mean all the national media is telling us the Steelers are imploding from all the drama. I cannot NO WILL NOT believe this narrative </Sarcasm>

The Steelers may have made mistakes in putting up with the canker sores (Given I lost my Mom to cancer albeit 7 years ago, I think I will change from Cancer to canker)

But they didn't drink all their brain cells away...they just needed a cranal-analectomy. Here's hoping the surgery was a success.

brothervad

brothervad
03-24-2019, 07:24 PM
oh one other thing...way back in the day the Steeler signed a former 1st rounder (8th overall pick) FA ILB who was 6'2" and 242. Yep James Farrior was 12lbs heavier and granted that was the 2000's and the game has changed...but that worked out really well.

I tried to print the table of both Farrior and Barron's stats when the signing happened...unfortunately the size constraint wouldn't allow me to do it.

I think this is a good trade and only time will tell but I have hopes that lightning strikes twice.

brothervad

Disco1981
03-24-2019, 08:22 PM
oh one other thing...way back in the day the Steeler signed a former 1st rounder (8th overall pick) FA ILB who was 6'2" and 242. Yep James Farrior was 12lbs heavier and granted that was the 2000's and the game has changed...but that worked out really well.

I tried to print the table of both Farrior and Barron's stats when the signing happened...unfortunately the size constraint wouldn't allow me to do it.

I think this is a good trade and only time will tell but I have hopes that lightning strikes twice.

brothervad

Barron was a FA signing

Steel Maniac
03-24-2019, 09:14 PM
Rooney came out and said they did not do enough to replace Shazier. We will see how regretful they truly are by
Colbert’s aggressiveness ( or lack there of) in moving up in the draft.

NorthCoast
03-24-2019, 09:27 PM
Rooney came out and said they did not do enough to replace Shazier. We will see how regretful they truly are by
Colbert’s aggressiveness ( or lack there of) in moving up in the draft.Still need a trade partner and the player still needs to be on the board. Last year, neither happened. If it happens again, Colbert will stand pat. The Steelers don't need a world beater at ILB. For all their weaknesses, the Steelers pass defense was still top 10, and rush defense was top 5.

Steel Maniac
03-24-2019, 09:31 PM
Still need a trade partner and the player still needs to be on the board. Last year, neither happened. If it happens again, Colbert will stand pat. The Steelers don't need a world beater at ILB. For all their weaknesses, the Steelers pass defense was still top 10, and rush defense was top 5.

There was a reason Rooney came out and admitted we didn’t do enough to replace Shazier; he didn’t say that because the line backing was good.

Please see Carr’s final drive against us for how good that pass defense really was.

NorthCoast
03-24-2019, 10:45 PM
There was a reason Rooney came out and admitted we didn’t do enough to replace Shazier; he didn’t say that because the line backing was good.

Please see Carr’s final drive against us for how good that pass defense really was.Cherry picking. ...How about NE's final drive the following week? 4 straight incompletions to Gronkowski on PIT side of field to save the game.

If they improve consistency, the Defense should be good.

Steel Maniac
03-25-2019, 12:36 AM
We will be upgrading the secondary in this offseason for a reason. Because it’s not adequete enough. The same for the entire defense.

Rooney said what he said because the position was inadequately played in his opinion.

steeler_george
03-25-2019, 06:01 AM
We will be upgrading the secondary in this offseason for a reason. Because it’s not adequete enough. The same for the entire defense.

Rooney said what he said because the position was inadequately played in his opinion.

What was lacking in the backfield was turnovers.

Step one has already been taken with the signing of Nelson.

Step two has been taken, with Barron on board to play ILB and slide to hybrid LB/S

Step 3? A ball hawking FS? I think we need to upgrade over Davis, he is a good player, but lacks turnovers and bad anglIt wouldn't shock me if we took a S again early in the draft.

If we miss out on our ILB or TE in the first, I could see us dropping back in the later part of the 1st round and take the best S on board and gather another 2nd to take our ILB/OLB/CB/TE there.

Steel Maniac
03-25-2019, 09:08 AM
There you go George, futher upgrading the back end. We had one really good year in turnovers and at this point , I don’t think the scheme is conducive to create a lot of turnovers. Regardless of personel. But we’ll see. And I have my doubts about Butler as a DC on top of that.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-25-2019, 11:25 AM
Rookie will push Williams to Bench. Williams is a situational LB.

Steel Maniac
03-25-2019, 11:26 AM

I hope so!!

steeler_george
03-25-2019, 01:06 PM

Hmm, maybe that is the ILB ( strongside) that we are going to target. If that is the case, who fits that scheme?