PDA

View Full Version : Morgan Burnett

steelerkeylargo
03-22-2019, 09:43 AM
Steelers have told him he will be cut April 1st. Probably with a June 1 designation.

SteelBucks
03-22-2019, 09:47 AM
Steelers have told him he will be cut April 1st. Probably with a June 1 designation.

Will they save the $2.8M in dead money by giving him the June 1 designation?

Steel Maniac
03-22-2019, 10:39 AM
He didn't want to be here; he felt misused last year. Can't say he was wrong. But if you don't want to be here, I don't want you here.

Steelers released S Morgan Burnett.
Burnett wanted out of Pittsburgh much earlier in the offseason, and now he will find a limited market with most teams already landing on safeties a couple weeks back. Burnett played out of position in Pittsburgh last year as a dime linebacker. He just turned 30 in January.

RELATED: Pittsburgh Steelers
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Oviedo
03-22-2019, 10:52 AM
He didn't want to be here; he felt misused last year. Can't say he was wrong. But if you don't want to be here, I don't want you here.

Steelers released S Morgan Burnett.
Burnett wanted out of Pittsburgh much earlier in the offseason, and now he will find a limited market with most teams already landing on safeties a couple weeks back. Burnett played out of position in Pittsburgh last year as a dime linebacker. He just turned 30 in January.

RELATED: Pittsburgh Steelers
SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Got to be healthy and on the field to be misused. Burnett wasn't either for parts of the season and therefore the defense adapted and evolved without him. That's not the teams fault

Mick'sTeam
03-22-2019, 11:17 AM
NOW the championship window is closed. We're screwed.

Steel Maniac
03-22-2019, 11:24 AM

hahahahahahaha...good one!

Ernie
03-22-2019, 11:29 AM
not a surprise. time for our 5th rounder from last year to rise to the occasion.

Northern_Blitz
03-22-2019, 11:42 AM

Well he did contribute more to the team more than Bell did last season :cool:

RuthlessBurgher
03-22-2019, 11:47 AM
After signing S/LB Mark Barron, the Steelers are trying to trade S Morgan Burnett, but will release him if a deal cannot be worked out, per source.

— Gerry Dulac (@gerrydulac) March 22, 2019

Steel Maniac
03-22-2019, 11:55 AM
not a surprise. time for our 5th rounder from last year to rise to the occasion.

Yep..................

NorthCoast
03-22-2019, 12:47 PM
So the question is whether Colbert was upfront with Burnett before they signed him on how he was going to be used?
We've all been through interviews where the job is talked up, then ends up not close to reality.
I have to believe Burnett knew full well how he was going to be used and he agreed to it. But then decided he didn't like it. Who knows?

Wait for him to come out with juicy tidbits about the org.

RuthlessBurgher
03-22-2019, 12:55 PM
The plan was to start Burnett at SS and Davis at FS, then bring Edmunds up to speed in the hybrid dimebacker type of role. Then Burnett got hurt, and we had to start Edmunds at SS, and by the time Burnett was healthy, Edmunds had already entrenched himself there as the starting SS, so we used Burnett as the hybrid dimebacker type instead. It was entirely circumstantial. If Burnett were healthy, it likely would have gone down much differently last season, but it is what it is at this point.

Iron City Inc.
03-22-2019, 12:58 PM
After signing S/LB Mark Barron, the Steelers are trying to trade S Morgan Burnett, but will release him if a deal cannot be worked out, per source.

— Gerry Dulac (@gerrydulac) March 22, 2019

Releasing him now or later is no news. Bunch of us on here have questioned why it had not already happened. Getting something in a trade now that would be something. We would need a Tampa 2 team to be interested cause he could still fit that scheme but I doubt anyone coughs up even a 2020 pick for him.

RuthlessBurgher
03-22-2019, 03:18 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Safety Morgan Burnett's pending release will save the Steelers $3.63 million against the salary cap, or $5.05 million if they designate him a post-June-1 release. The team has explored a trade for Burnett, according to a source, but Burnett's agent, Kevin Conner, told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that the team will release him April 1. The Steelers have Burnett's replacements intact - Mark Barron at inside/dime linebacker, Terrell Edmunds at strong safety.

12m

RuthlessBurgher
03-22-2019, 03:23 PM
If no one trades for Burnett, the only remaining question would be whether he'd be designated a pre-June 1 cut or a post-June 1 cut.

If pre-June 1: Our 2019 salary cap space would increase by $3.63M, and his entire dead money cap hit of $2.8M would used up this year. He would then count $0 against our 2020 cap.

If post-June 1: Our 2019 salary cap space would increase by $5.05M, and his dead money cap hit would be split up with $1.4M in dead money on this year's cap and another $1.4M on next year's cap as well.

Shawn
03-22-2019, 03:49 PM
The plan was to start Burnett at SS and Davis at FS, then bring Edmunds up to speed in the hybrid dimebacker type of role. Then Burnett got hurt, and we had to start Edmunds at SS, and by the time Burnett was healthy, Edmunds had already entrenched himself there as the starting SS, so we used Burnett as the hybrid dimebacker type instead. It was entirely circumstantial. If Burnett were healthy, it likely would have gone down much differently last season, but it is what it is at this point.. I think this is dead on the money. Edmunds playing deep is a misuse of his althetic talents. I want that man closer to the LOS. I think they envisioned him as closing some of the gap left by Shazier. So it would surprise me at all if we draft a safety.

Steel Maniac
03-22-2019, 04:32 PM
. I think this is dead on the money. Edmunds playing deep is a misuse of his athletic talents. I want that man closer to the LOS. I think they envisioned him as closing some of the gap left by Shazier. So it would surprise me at all if we draft a safety.

Will Butler know how to use the right players to their strengths? After last year, that question has to be asked.

hawaiiansteel
03-22-2019, 04:37 PM
So it would surprise me at all if we draft a safety.

FS Sean Davis is an UFA next season, might want to draft and groom his successor.

steeler_george
03-22-2019, 04:46 PM
Releasing him now or later is no news. Bunch of us on here have questioned why it had not already happened. Getting something in a trade now that would be something. We would need a Tampa 2 team to be interested cause he could still fit that scheme but I doubt anyone coughs up even a 2020 pick for him.

I think we can trade him to a team who is seaking cap relief. For example, we trade him to the Jets for Darron Lee, who if cut has a cap savings of 1.5 million. Then the Jets could can cut Burnett and save 4 Million instead.

steeler_george
03-22-2019, 04:48 PM
FS Sean Davis is an UFA next season, might want to draft and groom his successor.

Aloha, Thornhill or Gardner sounds like options in this draft.

Northern_Blitz
03-22-2019, 04:59 PM
If no one trades for Burnett, the only remaining question would be whether he'd be designated a pre-June 1 cut or a post-June 1 cut.

If pre-June 1: Our 2019 salary cap space would increase by $3.63M, and his entire dead money cap hit of $2.8M would used up this year. He would then count $0 against our 2020 cap.

If post-June 1: Our 2019 salary cap space would increase by $5.05M, and his dead money cap hit would be split up with $1.4M in dead money on this year's cap and another $1.4M on next year's cap as well.

I wonder how much room we have left now (for draft picks and buffer). If they have enough room and are done in UFA, maybe they go pre June 1?

RuthlessBurgher
03-22-2019, 06:57 PM
I wonder how much room we have left now (for draft picks and buffer). If they have enough room and are done in UFA, maybe they go pre June 1?

Looks like a hair under $7M right now.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers/

pittpete
03-22-2019, 07:44 PM
Looks like a hair under $7M right now.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers/

Barron is not on there...I read yesterday it was a touch over $3 million..
We are done with FA for now until we cut Burnett with a post Jun 1st designation.
Then we clear $5,050,000

Steel Maniac
03-22-2019, 07:47 PM
Barron is not on there...I read yesterday it was a touch over $3 million..
We are done with FA for now until we cut Burnett with a post Jun 1st designation.
Then we clear $5,050,000

Pete, Takes at least 5mil for draft picks right?

Shawn
03-22-2019, 09:00 PM
FS Sean Davis is an UFA next season, might want to draft and groom his successor.. agreed because Davis is not special.

RuthlessBurgher
03-25-2019, 10:26 AM
Steelers will make Morgan Burnett move “when it’s comfortable for us”

Posted by Josh Alper on March 25, 2019, 8:23 AM EDT

There was word last week that the Steelers were set to release safety Morgan Burnett, but it was quickly followed by another report that the team planned to see if they could trade him before simply dropping him from the roster.

Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert confirmed that the team is pursuing that option in the wake of signing Mark Barron to go with 2018 first-round pick Terrell Edmunds as players capable of filling the spots that Burnett would have played in Pittsburgh. Colbert indicated the team doesn’t feel any time pressure to make a move, however.

“We’ll make a move when it’s comfortable for us,” Colbert said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “After we signed Mark Barron, we have some more flexibility in those two positions. There’s two players who have been added into the mix that now makes it more comfortable for us to say we’ll try to move Morgan in a trade and, if not, we’ll probably part ways.”

Burnett asked for his release in January, so he’d likely prefer to see the team come to the latter conclusion sooner rather than later.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/25/steelers-will-make-morgan-burnett-move-when-its-comfortable-for-us/

phillyesq
03-25-2019, 10:35 AM
There is a deep group of free agent safeties this year. And Burnett is coming off an injury riddled season. I'd be shocked if the Steelers even found a team willing to move swap 6th or 7th round picks for Burnett. He'll be released.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-25-2019, 10:44 AM
There is a deep group of free agent safeties this year. And Burnett is coming off an injury riddled season. I'd be shocked if the Steelers even found a team willing to move swap 6th or 7th round picks for Burnett. He'll be released.

Yes, but the FAs at the S position are expensive. Landon Collins was signed for 6 years, $84M with $44.5M guaranteed. A team giving up a 6th or so for Burnett gets a 2 year contract with salaries and cap hits of $5M then $4M that can be cut at any time. Low risk for a non-guaranteed deal.

steeler_george
03-25-2019, 01:14 PM

I might of mentioned this earlier or an other post. We can trade him to a team that has a player, that suits us ( ex. Darron Lee) and that the team wishes to unload but can't due to economics of the contract. The team could make the trade and cut Burnett.

EDIT: Are cap reason trades used in the NFL like how they are in the NBA?

pittpete
03-25-2019, 01:54 PM
We're currently at Team Cap Space: $3,684,093

Pete, Takes at least 5mil for draft picks right?

This explains the draft picks a bit>>
https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/the-nfl-draft-and-the-salary-cap-a-refresher-course-121

hawaiiansteel
03-25-2019, 02:01 PM
Burnett asked for his release in January, so he’d likely prefer to see the team come to the latter conclusion sooner rather than later.

I care what Morgan Burnett thinks.

Said no one ever.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-25-2019, 05:51 PM
I might of mentioned this earlier or an other post. We can trade him to a team that has a player, that suits us ( ex. Darron Lee) and that the team wishes to unload but can't due to economics of the contract. The team could make the trade and cut Burnett.

EDIT: Are cap reason trades used in the NFL like how they are in the NBA?

Much different than in the NBA. Teams don't have to match salaries in an NFL trade. There is no benefit to a team to trade away a player rather than cut him, and there is no effect on a team's cap situation to trade for a player and cut him immediately.

RuthlessBurgher
03-29-2019, 10:40 AM
This is interesting. Although division rivals rarely trade with one another, I would be quite happy if we could trade Morgan Burnett and, say, a 6th round comp pick (the one we got from Arizona in exchange for Marcus Gilbert) to Cleveland in exchange for RB Duke Johnson. A RB corps of James Conner, Duke Johnson, and Jaylen Samuels would be sweet. All of them are accomplished pass catchers out of the backfield in addition to being good runners as well.

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

One team to watch if or when Steelers release safety Morgan Burnett is released: The Browns. Cleveland's front office and coaching staff know him well from Green Bay days, including pass game coordinator Joe Whitt. Expecting interest there. Burnett anticipates being released by Monday.

18h

Mick'sTeam
03-29-2019, 10:54 AM
This is interesting. Although division rivals rarely trade with one another, I would be quite happy if we could trade Morgan Burnett and, say, a 6th round comp pick (the one we got from Arizona in exchange for Marcus Gilbert) to Cleveland in exchange for RB Duke Johnson. A RB corps of James Conner, Duke Johnson, and Jaylen Samuels would be sweet. All of them are accomplished pass catchers out of the backfield in addition to being good runners as well.

I'd rather keep the pick and use it as ammo to potentially move around during the draft. Both players are going to be cut - perhaps a straight up player for player trade with the two would work?

steeler_george
03-29-2019, 11:11 AM
I think the Browns keep Duke. (Mike) Hunt :rolleyes: is still suspended half the year.

Buzz
03-29-2019, 11:57 AM
I think the Browns keep Duke. (Mike) Hunt :rolleyes: is still suspended half the year.

Agree. I'd be mildly surprised if they cut Duke loose now.

hawaiiansteel
03-29-2019, 04:42 PM
Agree. I'd be mildly surprised if they cut Duke loose now.

yes, they'll keep him hostage.

RuthlessBurgher
03-29-2019, 04:43 PM
yes, they'll keep him hostage.

The Browns are looking for hostages, not volunteers. ;)

hawaiiansteel
03-29-2019, 05:04 PM
The Browns are looking for hostages, not volunteers. ;)

it's probably very difficult to find volunteers who want to play at the Mistake by the Lake.

Steel Maniac
03-29-2019, 09:40 PM
If they become a 10 game winner; they’ll attract a few players.

hawaiiansteel
03-29-2019, 10:46 PM
If they become a 10 game winner; they’ll attract a few players.

you're probably right but Cleveland isn't the greatest place to get endorsement deals.

Steel Maniac
03-29-2019, 10:56 PM
Yeah, you right about that.

RuthlessBurgher
04-01-2019, 02:03 PM
Monday, Apr 01, 2019 01:59 PM

Steelers release Burnett

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

The Steelers roster continued to undergo offseason changes, the most recent being releasing veteran safety Morgan Burnett.

During the NFL Owners Meeting General Manager Kevin Colbert said that team "Will try to move Morgan in a trade, and if not, we will probably part ways." The decision was to part ways.

Burnett signed a three-year contract last year, joining the Steelers as an unrestricted free agent from the Green Bay Packers. He played in 11 games in 2018, starting two, and finished the season with 30 tackles, 17 of them solo stops, and six passes defensed.

Burnett missed four games early in the season, Weeks 3-6, with a groin injury. He missed the Week 13 game against the Los Angeles Chargers with a back injury.

Burnett played the first eight seasons of his career with the Packers after they drafted him in the third round of the 2010 NFL Draft, the 71st pick overall. He has 747 career tackles, 528 solo stops and 23 tackles for a loss. He has nine interceptions, eight forced fumbles and 10 fumble recoveries, one which he returned for a touchdown.

The Steelers have added three free agents so far this offseason, linebacker Mark Barron, receiver Donte Moncrief and cornerback Steven Nelson.

https://www.steelers.com/news/steelers-release-burnett

RuthlessBurgher
04-01-2019, 04:02 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

The Steelers tried to trade safety Morgan Burnett, and since nothing materialized, they released him Monday. The Steelers save $3.6 million in salary cap space since he's not a post-June-1 designation. Pittsburgh had high hopes for Burnett, who signed a three-year, $14.35-million deal in March 2018. But Burnett suffered injuries early in the season and didn't take to a dime linebacker role. He prefers playing safety. The Cleveland Browns are considered a potential landing spot for Burnett.

1h

Ernie
04-02-2019, 04:14 AM
Hated to see him not pan out. Had high hopes for Burnett when we signed him. He was tough in GB.

Buzz
04-02-2019, 09:01 AM
Hated to see him not pan out. Had high hopes for Burnett when we signed him. He was tough in GB.

It'll be kinda sad if he's tough in Cleveland. I look for them to sign him soon.

Oviedo
04-02-2019, 11:22 AM
It'll be kinda sad if he's tough in Cleveland. I look for them to sign him soon.

Not sure I worry about him. Can't see health not being a continuing issue taking playing time away from him. IMO he is a part-time player for the rest of his career.

RuthlessBurgher
04-05-2019, 10:34 AM
Morgan Burnett jumps from the Steelers to the Browns

Posted by Mike Florio on April 5, 2019, 10:32 AM EDT

Morgan Burnett is staying in the AFC North.

The former Steelers safety will sign on Friday with the Browns, according to Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com.

Burnett is expected to compete with Eric Murray, the former Chief acquired in the Emmanuel Ogbah trade, for the strong safety job vacated by the trade of Jabrill Peppers to the Giants.

In January, Burnett made it clear that he wants out of Pittsburgh. The Steelers tried to trade Burnett before releasing him on Monday.

Now entering his 10th year in the NFL, Burnett spent his first eight NFL seasons with the Packers.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/05/morgan-burnett-jumps-from-the-steelers-to-the-browns/

Steel Maniac
04-05-2019, 10:45 AM

Buzz, what is your opinion of Butler as a DC?

hawaiiansteel
04-06-2019, 05:48 PM
LARRY ALLEN FROM SPRING VALLEY, NY: Why cut Morgan Burnett before finding his replacement? There are no guarantees of finding a better replacement. I was always told, “You never quit your job before finding another.”

ANSWER: And I was told, “Always pay attention or you may end up saying something that makes you look foolish.” The Steelers signed Mark Barron a couple of weeks ago, and he will fill the role Morgan Burnett didn’t want to fill, and Barron will do it willingly and enthusiastically.

https://www.steelers.com/news/asked-and-answered-april-4