PDA

View Full Version : Sparq Stats

steeler_george
03-20-2019, 07:55 AM
what do you guys think of the importance of the sparq average?

Cool site to see where the players are listed:

https://3sigmaathlete.com/sparq-rankings-2019/off-los-linebacker/

Impressive one that I found was TE Moreau ( who I want us to grab in middle/late draft ) was top 2 in the TEs, just in between Fant and Hockenson.

Another one was Miles Boyles WR ND ( projected middle rounds and was rumoured invited pro-day interview )scored highest of all WR...

I can go on and on... Burns was higher than Bosa ( tied with Winovich) and Allen

Buzz
03-20-2019, 09:24 AM
what do you guys think of the importance of the sparq average?

Cool site to see where the players are listed:

https://3sigmaathlete.com/sparq-rankings-2019/off-los-linebacker/

Impressive one that I found was TE Moreau ( who I want us to grab in middle/late draft ) was top 2 in the TEs, just in between Fant and Hockenson.

Another one was Miles Boyles WR ND ( projected middle rounds and was rumoured invited pro-day interview )scored highest of all WR...

I can go on and on... Burns was higher than Bosa ( tied with Winovich) and Allen

Didn't Bud Dupree have a really high sparq score?

I think it can be one helpful indicator among several -- but I still want a FOOTBALL player first and foremost.

Northern_Blitz
03-20-2019, 10:16 AM
I think the folks at SteelersDepot often say that the Steelers seem to value sparq scores.

I'd agree that you ideally want production on the field and sparq score, but that's not always possible (particularly as the draft progresses).

It would be interesting to see if there's any research that's been done comparing something like college production vs. sparq score. I wonder if there's data that points to which has more value. Probably some of that comes down to whether the staff believes that an superior athlete can be coached up in their own system.

I'd bet that teams probably overrate their ability to take raw athletes and turn them into impact players.

But at the same time, I think it's probably better to use mid to late round picks on freak athletes. I think I'd rather swing for the fences with these picks than draft guys with ceilings of ST player or something.

RuthlessBurgher
03-20-2019, 11:52 AM
With early picks, you try to find guys with both high production and also excellent measurables. The SPARQ score (along with in-person interviews, obviously) can be a tiebreaker for guys you already had similarly rated based on your film study.

Later in the draft, you have to start choosing among guys who check one box but not another, because the guys who checked all the boxes tend to come off the board early.

With your day 3 picks, you start to weigh whether to take:

the limited athlete with solid production on the field, but who may never be more than a 3rd stringer and special teams player on the next level

or

the elite athletic specimen who hasn't really shown that he's actually a good football player...if he's able to put it all together, you might have unearthed a diamond, but more often than not, you are just trying to mold a lump of coal