PDA

View Full Version : 3 players I want. 3 players I don't ILB edition

steelerkeylargo
03-19-2019, 02:52 PM
I have done this from time to time over the years and thought I would do this with a handful of positions that are of need for the Steelers. Players will be of various talent levels, but most will be rounds 1-3 talent. Lets look at ILB

Players I want

Devin White-ILB-LSU- no brainer here. The number 1 ILB in the class and a player who is firmly in the mix for a trade up. Phenomenal athlete who is a 3 down NFL LB. Sideline to sideline player who seems to always find his way to the ball. Still learning to trust his instincts and diagnose plays better but is the premier ILB in 2019. NFL Comp= Jerod Mayo

Devin Bush-ILB-Michigan- again, a player most here are very familiar with, stellar college production and excellent over all athlete. NFL pedigree from father. Trusts his eyes, sees it and goes. Is a deceptive blitzer. Can get swallowed up by bigger NFL lineman. NFL Comp=London Fletcher

TJ Edwards-ILB-Wisconsin- TJ is a player that will come off the board probably in late round 4. Limited athlete but is a production machine. Great instincts and is always around the ball. Very good against the run and in zone coverage. NFL Comp=Zach Brown

Players I don't want

Mack Wilson-ILB-Alabama- average production in a stacked defense, disappears on film, runs too hot and cold, rarely sees it and goes, takes too long to diagnose play NFL Comp= Quincy Black

Te'von Coney-ILB-Notre Dame- good downhill 2 down LB. Active hands and a plus in the run game. Limited in coverage. Should be a special teams mainstay. NFL Comp= Christian Jones

Dakota Allen-ILB -TT- great kid, good work ethic, extremeley coachable, team captain. Instincts are lacking. Tackling is too inconsistent. Get swallowed up by blockers NFL Comp-Vincent Rey

RuthlessBurgher
03-19-2019, 02:56 PM
Thanks, SKL. Where would Germaine Pratt fit onto this ILB spectrum?

Disco1981
03-19-2019, 03:01 PM

I like Pratt...I was wondering to what the consensus on here was

Northern_Blitz
03-19-2019, 03:05 PM
Thanks SKL

I appreciate the info here. It's nice to hear about prospects without having to do any heavy lifting myself.

steelerkeylargo
03-19-2019, 03:10 PM

Germaine Pratt-ILB-NC St- plays quick and with burst. Versatile enough to play multiple schemes and positions. Likes to hit but can also tackle. Plays too high and lacks experience. Very raw. NFL Comp= Tahir Whitehead

I like Pratt. But he wwill be a project.

pittpete
03-19-2019, 03:38 PM
Good stuff, thanks..
CAn you do a WR and TE edition next?;)

Shawn
03-19-2019, 03:47 PM
I've grown a little cold on Bush. I think he will be a solid NFL ILB but I don't see special. Mack, the more games I watch on him, the more I'm agreeing with your assessment. Been doing my homework this afternoon, and I see the issues you bring up.

steelerkeylargo
03-19-2019, 03:48 PM
Good stuff, thanks..
CAn you do a WR and TE edition next?;)

I will probably do all positions except QB nd FB. Will probably put all OL together

Rara
03-19-2019, 04:44 PM
A bit harsh of a comparison for Wilson.

hawaiiansteel
03-19-2019, 04:49 PM
I will probably do all positions except QB nd FB. Will probably put all OL together

have been wondering about the OL, do you think the Steelers feel comfortable with either Feiler or Okorafor starting at RT or might they spend a high draft choice on the position?

Rara
03-19-2019, 04:50 PM
have been wondering about the OL, do you think the Steelers feel comfortable with either Feiler or Okorafor starting at RT or might they spend a high draft choice on the position?

Ivey in mid rounds would be available.

flippy
03-19-2019, 05:22 PM
Germaine Pratt-ILB-NC St- plays quick and with burst. Versatile enough to play multiple schemes and positions. Likes to hit but can also tackle. Plays too high and lacks experience. Very raw. NFL Comp= Tahir Whitehead

I like Pratt. But he wwill be a project.

I've seen a lot of Pratt, so I'm a little biased toward him, but he's my favorite in terms of long term potential.

He's only started for a year and transitioned from playing S. But the kid is smart, a hustler, and just makes plays. And it's a ridiculous amount of plays. He's a little taller than the rest and I think he can matchup in coverage with TEs better in the long run.

He's not polished like others. But even the other standouts have questions about them. I think the only thing missing with Pratt is experience and all of his issues are coachable/fixable. He reminds me of Jaylen Samuels a bit at NC State. Different positions and different units, but when they are on the field you see them in what feels like every single play.

Buzz
03-19-2019, 06:05 PM
I've seen a lot of Pratt, so I'm a little biased toward him, but he's my favorite in terms of long term potential.

He's only started for a year and transitioned from playing S. But the kid is smart, a hustler, and just makes plays. And it's a ridiculous amount of plays. He's a little taller than the rest and I think he can matchup in coverage with TEs better in the long run.

He's not polished like others. But even the other standouts have questions about them. I think the only thing missing with Pratt is experience and all of his issues are coachable/fixable. He reminds me of Jaylen Samuels a bit at NC State. Different positions and different units, but when they are on the field you see them in what feels like every single play.

I won't be surprised if we miss out on the Devins on day 1, and take someone like Pratt in a later round.

Iron City Inc.
03-19-2019, 06:23 PM

Hawkins n Banner are young guys who give us 5 tackles on the roster. I'm thinking if we did go T it would be late. Feiler n Okorafor both had good efforts at RT. The question would be at LT if AV needed to sit .

steelerkeylargo
03-19-2019, 10:17 PM
A bit harsh of a comparison for Wilson.

Sorry. Thats how I see it. Fringe NFL starter.

steeler_george
03-20-2019, 07:45 AM
Hey KeyLargo ...

Two players (LB) who impressed me at the combine were Taki and I think Dru Tranquil. I don't think that they are day 1 starters, but maybe after week 4 is a different story.... What is your thoughts on them.

steelerkeylargo
03-20-2019, 11:06 AM
Hey KeyLargo ...

Two players (LB) who impressed me at the combine were Taki and I think Dru Tranquil. I don't think that they are day 1 starters, but maybe after week 4 is a different story.... What is your thoughts on them.

Tranquill is Tyler Matakevich 2.0

Assuming you mean Sione Takitaki? He has beast film with some character issues. I've had him in a few of my signature mocks and would be happy to see him in Black and Gold. Even if he spends first year on PS

Jooser
03-20-2019, 11:41 AM
Any thoughts on WVU's David Long Jr.?

https://youtu.be/vwJY_u47-9s

steeler_george
03-20-2019, 01:21 PM
Tranquill is Tyler Matakevich 2.0

Assuming you mean Sione Takitaki? He has beast film with some character issues. I've had him in a few of my signature mocks and would be happy to see him in Black and Gold. Even if he spends first year on PS

Thanks bro...

steelerkeylargo
03-20-2019, 02:12 PM

There is a lot to like in David Long. Plays like his hair is on fire and attacks the LOS. Very undisciplined and misses a ton of tackles. If he can be coached he could be a steal. Boom or bust.

pittpete
03-20-2019, 02:31 PM
There is a lot to like in David Long. Plays like his hair is on fire and attacks the LOS. Very undisciplined and misses a ton of tackles. If he can be coached he could be a steal. Boom or bust.

Troy P was the same way.....Turned out well:eek:

Reminds me of a Shazier who was always around the ball but was a known disrupter and missed a few tackles

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-20-2019, 02:34 PM

Where is he projected to go?

pittpete
03-20-2019, 02:37 PM
Where is he projected to go?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/linebackers

RuthlessBurgher
03-20-2019, 02:50 PM
Sources Tell Us

"Personally, I would rather have David Long over Devin Bush for a round or two discount. They have about the same size but Long is more productive and maybe less prone to injury." -- NFC executive

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/david-long?id=32194c4f-4e20-9927-7a66-9bb9ab3a3708

Ernie
03-20-2019, 02:50 PM

long is a potential starter in this league. a bit undersized. but has a nose for the ball. high football IQ.. high character guy.

RuthlessBurgher
03-20-2019, 02:57 PM
Folks here would likely revolt if we used our top two picks to address offensive skill position players rather than defense, but what if our draft haul through the first four rounds looked something like this?

1.20 TE T.J. Hockenson
2.52 WR Kelvin Harmon
3.66 OLB Chase Winovich
3.83 DB Amani Hooker
4.122 ILB David Long

steeler_george
03-20-2019, 03:34 PM
Folks here would likely revolt if we used our top two picks to address offensive skill position players rather than defense, but what if our draft haul through the first four rounds looked something like this?

1.20 TE T.J. Hockenson
2.52 WR Kelvin Harmon
3.66 OLB Chase Winovich
3.83 DB Amani Hooker
4.122 ILB David Long

Did you just steal my mock...:)

Hockenson
Winovich
Pratt
Hooker
Boykin
Moreau

I think we covered all areas in FA where we can take BPA regardless...

Northern_Blitz
03-20-2019, 03:55 PM

1.20 TE T.J. Hockenson
2.52 WR Kelvin Harmon
3.66 OLB Chase Winovich
3.83 DB Amani Hooker
4.122 ILB David Long

I would understand if it fell like this, but I would be disappointed.

Then I'd cheer for all of them and hope they all had HOF careers

SS Laser
03-21-2019, 12:11 AM
Some other names I wonder about are Lamar, Cashmen,Hanks? Any profiles SKL?

Oviedo
03-21-2019, 06:37 AM

1.20 TE T.J. Hockenson
2.52 WR Kelvin Harmon
3.66 OLB Chase Winovich
3.83 DB Amani Hooker
4.122 ILB David Long

Id love that draft

As far as revolting...who cares. The same negative nancys are going to complain no matter who we take

Oviedo
03-21-2019, 06:39 AM
Some other names I wonder about are Lamar, Cashmen,Hanks? Any profiles SKL?

I know Lamar has been characterized as a 2 down player. Probably a younger and slightly better Vince Williams. Id rather take Long from WVA

Chadman
03-21-2019, 05:21 PM
Steelers had Olsavsky at WVU Pro Day...

Cashman could be interesting..

Chadman
03-21-2019, 05:24 PM
Could be wrong, but David Long Jnr kinda reminds Chadman of college level Sean Spence.

Which is not a bad thing at all.

Steelhere10
03-21-2019, 06:06 PM
I have done this from time to time over the years and thought I would do this with a handful of positions that are of need for the Steelers. Players will be of various talent levels, but most will be rounds 1-3 talent. Lets look at ILB

Players I want

Devin White-ILB-LSU- no brainer here. The number 1 ILB in the class and a player who is firmly in the mix for a trade up. Phenomenal athlete who is a 3 down NFL LB. Sideline to sideline player who seems to always find his way to the ball. Still learning to trust his instincts and diagnose plays better but is the premier ILB in 2019. NFL Comp= Jerod Mayo

Devin Bush-ILB-Michigan- again, a player most here are very familiar with, stellar college production and excellent over all athlete. NFL pedigree from father. Trusts his eyes, sees it and goes. Is a deceptive blitzer. Can get swallowed up by bigger NFL lineman. NFL Comp=London Fletcher

TJ Edwards-ILB-Wisconsin- TJ is a player that will come off the board probably in late round 4. Limited athlete but is a production machine. Great instincts and is always around the ball. Very good against the run and in zone coverage. NFL Comp=Zach Brown

Players I don't want

Mack Wilson-ILB-Alabama- average production in a stacked defense, disappears on film, runs too hot and cold, rarely sees it and goes, takes too long to diagnose play NFL Comp= Quincy Black

Te'von Coney-ILB-Notre Dame- good downhill 2 down LB. Active hands and a plus in the run game. Limited in coverage. Should be a special teams mainstay. NFL Comp= Christian Jones

Dakota Allen-ILB -TT- great kid, good work ethic, extremeley coachable, team captain. Instincts are lacking. Tackling is too inconsistent. Get swallowed up by blockers NFL Comp-Vincent Rey
Nice write up, can you also do Cb and WR please. I don't follow college so I like hearing your opinions.

hawaiiansteel
03-21-2019, 08:04 PM
Could be wrong, but David Long Jnr kinda reminds Chadman of college level Sean Spence.

Which is not a bad thing at all.

Spence was a very good player before his horrific injury.

SS Laser
03-21-2019, 08:31 PM
Another position I think the Steelers will target is DL. They like to create pressure and sacks with the DL. Who is later in the draft aka Hargrave like? Or who is possibly "BPA" 1-4rd? Help me out SKL. Give me names to research.

Ernie
03-21-2019, 08:47 PM
honestly... i hope a stud OLB falls to us in rd 1. those guys are bringing huge bank... no way we would be able to upgrade at that position in FA

hawaiiansteel
03-21-2019, 09:23 PM
Another position I think the Steelers will target is DL. They like to create pressure and sacks with the DL. Who is later in the draft aka Hargrave like? Or who is possibly "BPA" 1-4rd? Help me out SKL. Give me names to research.

so far the Steelers have met with the following DL:

Isaiah Buggs, DT/NT, Alabama
John Cominsky, DE, University of Charleston
Anthony Nelson, DE/3-4DE, Iowa
Dare Odeyingbo, DE, Vanderbilt
Immanuel Turner, DT, Louisiana Tech

http://walterfootball.com/ProspectMeetings/ByTeam

steelerkeylargo
03-21-2019, 10:37 PM

Mostly mid to late round guys with the exception of Nelson, who is a poor mans Nick Bosa

Ernie
03-22-2019, 05:57 AM

You know what's interesting about their player meetings... they only met with one RB from what I could tell (Justice Hill).

steelerkeylargo
03-22-2019, 05:47 PM
You know what's interesting about their player meetings... they only met with one RB from what I could tell (Justice Hill).

They also met with Miles Sanders (in state so doesn't count), and have scheduled Mike Weber

hawaiiansteel
03-24-2019, 01:17 AM
here's our new ILB -

https://media.giphy.com/media/3dbLOGB1ELpePRelhl/giphy.gif

steeler_george
03-24-2019, 08:11 AM
here's our new ILB -

https://media.giphy.com/media/3dbLOGB1ELpePRelhl/giphy.gif

That is awsome!

Oh wow
03-24-2019, 08:52 AM
That was terrible. Never understood why people take off their shirts before fighting..

Might as well blindfold yourself.

fordfixer
03-24-2019, 09:17 AM
That was terrible. Never understood why people take off their shirts before fighting..

Might as well blindfold yourself.
Didn’t want to get it dirty I guess :D

steeler_george
03-24-2019, 03:23 PM
that is some strong cop, looks like he is man handling that dude with one arm.

Back to football...

What if we lose out on Bush( white will be gone) who is our other options?

Disco1981
03-24-2019, 06:44 PM
That is awsome!

That Dude was gonna he all hard lol

Steel Maniac
03-25-2019, 12:47 AM
that is some strong cop, looks like he is man handling that dude with one arm.

Back to football...

What if we lose out on Bush( white will be gone) who is our other options? trade down?

hawaiiansteel
03-25-2019, 01:08 AM
trade down?

the only time I can ever remember the Steelers trading down in the first round was in 2001 when we traded down from #16 to 19 with the NYJ and selected Casey Hampton.

Oviedo
03-25-2019, 08:45 AM
ILB is going to be a challenge as long as we continue to draft late. In the past few drafts there have typically been about two ILBs who are potential difference makers. This draft is no different. The rest are good players but not great players.

If we have to go up more than 5 spots to get Bush then I don't think it is worth it. Would require too many picks and I don't think we can afford to sit out Day 2 of the draft because we have other needs.

steeler_george
03-25-2019, 09:14 AM
ILB is going to be a challenge as long as we continue to draft late. In the past few drafts there have typically been about two ILBs who are potential difference makers. This draft is no different. The rest are good players but not great players.

If we have to go up more than 5 spots to get Bush then I don't think it is worth it. Would require too many picks and I don't think we can afford to sit out Day 2 of the draft because we have other needs.

I think I am with you: however, there might someone else who isn't ILB or in 1st round that is worth trading that far up...

We have to be smart how we sell the farm to draft an impact player.

Steel Maniac
03-25-2019, 09:19 AM
I admit it looks dicey even being able to get Bush but it does depend on how much capital it takes to get up there. If somehow the Bucs were to pass on White, that would help.

RuthlessBurgher
03-25-2019, 10:21 AM
I admit it looks dicey even being able to get Bush but it does depend on how much capital it takes to get up there. If somehow the Bucs were to pass on White, that would help.

I think both Kyler Murray and Dwayne Haskins come off the board in the top 3 picks (desperate teams trade up toward the top of the draft for a shot at a potential QB in every recent draft). If that happens, then one of the top 3 elite pass rushers (Quinnen Williams, Nick Bosa, and Josh Allen) will be available at #5, and I doubt that Tampa would pass up a chance at a top prospect at a prime position like pass rusher to take an off-the-ball linebacker like Devin White.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-25-2019, 12:00 PM
They want one they will have to spend some capital. If Bush is there at 9 that's where they have to go. I was hoping #20, #52, & 2020 3rd would get it but there will be competition..Real or otherwise at some point. It may take #20, #52, 2020 2nd to get there. You get Buf to throw back 4th #112 this year..Maybe it's worth it. If they feel he's that centerpiece..I'm in.

Jooser
03-25-2019, 12:41 PM
I think we should sign "Terrible" Terry Tate, if for no other reason but to keep the locker room in check.

https://youtu.be/x5dJb2YG7vU

Imagine if he'd caught Bell smokin' the ganja, or Brown FB Videoing the Tomlin in the locker room? BOOOOM! Those two guys would probably have delivered 2 Lombardi's by now, and hungry for more. Food 4 thought.

-Joos out