PDA

View Full Version : Ben's contract?

SS Laser
03-18-2019, 10:46 AM
As every day passes I wonder if Ben is playing hardball with his grandfathers?
Did the Steelers look to low ball or get a Steelers friendly deal done?
Did Colberts comments help father Ben get a top deal?
Figured this would be all wrapped up by now. Are there any impending QB contracts coming that could hold up Ben's deal?

Steel Maniac
03-18-2019, 10:56 AM
Let's not put stuff in we have no proof of yet. Let's let it play out first. Your nervous thou; I get it. We all would have liked it done already too. Hang in there.

RuthlessBurgher
03-18-2019, 10:59 AM
Omar Khan could probably write contracts for guys like Dan McCullers or Eli Rogers in his sleep, but franchise QB contracts are never simple. Always a ton of moving parts to deal with and work out. Especially since this should be Ben's last NFL contract. Patience, grasshopper.

fordfixer
03-18-2019, 11:04 AM
X
Let's not put stuff in we have no proof of yet. Let's let it play out first. Your nervous thou; I get it. We all would have liked it done already too. Hang in there.
Where should we put it then , this is a discussion board after all

RuthlessBurgher
03-18-2019, 11:13 AM
X

You should stick it in your pipe, and smoke it. Obviously. ;)

SS Laser
03-18-2019, 11:20 AM
He is in the top 15 QB's right about 13th at OTC. Bet he wants to be paid top 3-5.
And I am saying he is playing hardball after his season and Colberts comments. But in my original posts wonder if anyone felt the same. Oh yea this should be his last contract for crying out loud!
Now after thinking more about this, I now wonder why we all kind of figured this would be "easy" and "done already"!
Might take awhile!

Oh wow
03-18-2019, 11:57 AM
X

The irony in his post is hilarious.

Same dude who tells us what goes on behind closed door meetings now wants people to wait before posting.

Oh wow

Oh wow
03-18-2019, 11:59 AM
He is in the top 15 QB's right about 13th at OTC. Bet he wants to be paid top 3-5.
And I am saying he is playing hardball after his season and Colberts comments. But in my original posts wonder if anyone felt the same. Oh yea this should be his last contract for crying out loud!
Now after thinking more about this, I now wonder why we all kind of figured this would be "easy" and "done already"!
Might take awhile!

I hope he breaks the bank

Will be fun watching everyone blame every other contract besides the largest one as the reason we can’t field a decent defense.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-18-2019, 12:05 PM
I hope that it is all about structure. For example, say the idea is a 3 year, $75M contract. How can we do that and keep as much cap space available during those three years, while essentially guaranteeing it all gets paid out?

How about something along the lines of a five year, $125M deal with a $50M SB and salaries of $7M, $8M, $10M, $25M, $25M.

Year 1: $17M cap hit
Year 2: $18M cap hit
Year 3: $20M cap hit
Year 4: $35M cap hit
Year 5: $35M cap hit

However, since Ben won't be playing after three years, he is cut after June 1 of year 4 so a dead cap hit (deferred cap hit) of $10M in each of years 4 and 5. $55M over the first three years on a cap friendly deal. He won't be cut prior to year 4 as a third year cut accelerates $30M in dead cap dough.

brothervad
03-18-2019, 01:00 PM

Will be fun watching everyone blame every other contract besides the largest one as the reason we canÂ’t field a decent defense.

I have never questioned your being a fan but statements like this challenge that belief.

I care only that the Steelers succeed not so much that fanboys get outed.

Hypothetical for you oh wow

What say conversely the Steelers say screw it let him go to FA after the contract, or let him retire or trade him?

What would you be saying about the Steelers blowing up and go into total rebuild mode.

Btw I do believe you are a fan but I think being right on this clouds many people's judgment.

I could be wrong though...

:wink:

Brothervad

Disco1981
03-18-2019, 01:30 PM
If Ben asks for the moon, Then he is just like the rest...More worried about money and status. Than being a team player, which all the talking heads have been screaming...And just will reinforce what all the talk, and ex-players have been saying

SS Laser
03-18-2019, 02:29 PM
If Ben asks for the moon, Then he is just like the rest...More worried about money and status. Than being a team player, which all the talking heads have been screaming...And just will reinforce what all the talk, and ex-players have been saying
I agree. I don't think Ben or most high end players care about what fans or media think.
And more info I found. Wilson is up for an extension also. Not sure that effects Ben's final contract at all. Because it is his final one after all.

Buzz
03-18-2019, 02:36 PM
I agree. I don't think Ben or most high end players care about what fans or media think.
And more info I found. Wilson is up for an extension also. Not sure that effects Ben's final contract at all. Because it is his final one after all.

Who's Wilson?

Last Wilson I can remember playing for the Steelers was Cedrick, but maybe I have forgotten?

RuthlessBurgher
03-18-2019, 02:46 PM
Who's Wilson?

Last Wilson I can remember playing for the Steelers was Cedrick, but maybe I have forgotten?

I believe he's referring to Russell Wilson, another franchise QB who is looking for an extension at the same time as Ben.

pittpete
03-18-2019, 02:50 PM

Will be fun watching everyone blame every other contract besides the largest one as the reason we can’t field a decent defense.

As long as he isnt trying to reset the QB market it should be fine

RuthlessBurgher
03-18-2019, 02:54 PM
As long as he isnt trying to reset the QB market it should be fine

He's trying to get paid as a #1 QB and a #2 radio personality. :stirpot

pittpete
03-18-2019, 02:55 PM
Then he can start his radio career after this year...LOL

Ernie
03-18-2019, 02:59 PM
weve got him for 1 more year.. if he wants to make stupid money... i wouldnt have a problem letting him walk.. it should be obvious to him that we are trying to build this team up for one more run with him

Oh wow
03-18-2019, 04:43 PM
Who's Wilson?

Russell Wilson is due and he basically said he expects this contract to reset the market.

All this talk about contracts but the QB contracts are the real killers when it comes to cap space. Brady still takes a pay cut but he is probably being paid under the table.

Oh wow
03-18-2019, 04:45 PM
weve got him for 1 more year.. if he wants to make stupid money... i wouldnt have a problem letting him walk.. it should be obvious to him that we are trying to build this team up for one more run with him

I seriously don’t see it happening with Ben on our books. Once he is gone we can reload after a down year and hopefully find a QB I’m the draft or maybe the OKState kid finally shows something.

Can’t reload with a 25 mill QB on the books.

Northern_Blitz
03-18-2019, 04:48 PM

If we get to a point where we can't sign an extension, I think the correct move would be a trade.

But, I don't think it will get anywhere near that.

pittpete
03-18-2019, 04:54 PM
You going to trade him in the middle of the season?

RuthlessBurgher
03-19-2019, 11:36 AM
Ben Roethlisberger's extension with Steelers not as easy as it seems

1:00 AM ET

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger earned a $5 million roster bonus on Friday, which could have served as an artificial deadline for a contract extension with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

But no deal is imminent between the team and Roethlisberger, who has one year left on his current contract. Now that Roethlisberger is locked into the $5 million, both parties can take their time.

Extending Roethlisberger is an easy decision, and his last extension in March 2015 came together smoothly. But this negotiation has a new set of factors to navigate.

The quarterback market has mushroomed in such a way that neither side could have expected. When these sides last negotiated, Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers led the league in average payout per year (APY) at $22 million, followed by Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan ($20.75 million), Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco ($20.1 million) and New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees ($20 million).

Roethlisberger came in right behind Rodgers at $21.9 million.

Since then, seven quarterbacks have signed deals worth $25 million or more per year. The top four are above $27 million, led by Rodgers' $33.5 million and Ryan's $30 million. That's a massive swing reflective of a rising salary cap and a position that continues to grow in importance.

APY is hardly the only factor in negotiations -- guaranteed money trumps all in most cases -- but asking Roethlisberger to take less than, say, Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford ($27 million) is a tough sell, especially when Roethlisberger is on record saying many quarterbacks without Super Bowl-level credentials are getting elite-level contracts.

Roethlisberger also has indicated he is willing to work with the Steelers, telling ESPN in July that it's important as a quarterback to leave money for others, such as center Maurkice Pouncey, his running mate who just signed a two-year, $22 million extension.

Before free agency, the Steelers got two of Roethlisberger's trusted linemen, Pouncey and guard Ramon Foster, signed for multiple years. But that doesn't mean the Steelers can bring their coupon book to the table. Roethlisberger has provided 15 years of stability, his top two playmakers are now gone and the team is all-in on him as he approaches his late 30s.

A good barometer might just be the 2020 franchise tag numbers, which one league source estimates will be around $28 million, depending on the salary cap. Reaching or exceeding that number would place Roethlisberger in the top tier.

Sure, he is better than Kirk Cousins, who gets $28 million per year, but Cousins had the power of free agency, which Roethlisberger is unlikely to test.

The Steelers traditionally guarantee the signing bonus only, which was an issue for Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown. Roethlisberger would be in a position to challenge that format -- or, at the least, load that contract up with aggressive roster bonuses.

Roethlisberger's age is a factor (he turned 37 on March 2), even though quarterbacks are flourishing for longer now. Big Ben himself led the NFL in passing during his 15th year in the league, and Brees played at a steady clip of $25 million per year in his late 30s. Brees' salary isn't a huge number for a top-3 passer, which the Steelers might try to utilize as a parallel.

The Steelers and Roethlisberger's agent, Ryan Tollner, have time on their side and could even take this into the summer, if they choose. Roethlisberger wants to keep playing, so if the extension will take him to 2022, the structured payout over the first two years will be crucial for him. And the Steelers figure to be pressed against the salary cap once again. They sat at around $8.5 million in space as of Monday, and that doesn't count new deals for free agents Donte Moncrief and Mark Barron. They need to make a few moves to accommodate the quarterback's new deal.

There's no palpable tension here. This will get done.

But there also is reason to believe that if Roethlisberger's side was taking some massive discount, it already would be completed.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/30418/ben-roethlisbergers-extension-with-steelers-not-as-easy-as-it-seems

Northern_Blitz
03-19-2019, 11:46 AM
You going to trade him in the middle of the season?

I think it's more like I would consider trading him if we don't think we can get something done by the beginning of the season (when we usually stop negotiating). In that scenario the strategy would be to pick up as many picks as we can for next year's draft and to probably tank the season with Dobbs / Rudolph at QB.

That would hopefully get us a very high pick or two that we use to take a shot at a new franchise QB and some help around him.

But, I highly doubt that's the way this plays out. But I'm also not convinced that you can be consistently successful paying a QB over $30M/year.

At some point, it could be better to try to get another good QB on a rookie deal. Especially at the end of a franchise QB's career when the D might not be competitive and the O is taking a step backward losing two all-pro players.

Oviedo
03-19-2019, 11:49 AM
Ben isn’t getting traded. That is crazy talk

RuthlessBurgher
03-19-2019, 12:12 PM
He should sign a new 3 year contract worth $84M with a SB of $26M.

One last middle finger to AB and LB. ;)

RuthlessBurgher
03-19-2019, 12:26 PM
The funny thing is, those numbers are actually somewhat in line the actual NFL QB market these days.

If you structured it to give him a guaranteed base salary of $12M in year one, he'd have a first year cap him of $20.7M, which would be $2.5M less than his current cap hit. Then you could give him a $20M base salary in year two, which would be a $28.7M cap hit, which is in the neighborhood of what top 5 QB's tend to get these days. Then the base salary would balloon up to $26M in his final year, which would be a cap hit of $34.7M. Who knows what the NFL salary cap structure will look like at that point. And if Ben retired before that final year, we'd save $26M against the cap with a somewhat palatable dead money hit of $8.7M.

Northern_Blitz
03-19-2019, 03:23 PM
Ben isn’t getting traded. That is crazy talk

I don't think so either.

But it's something they should seriously consider if they can't do an extension by the start of the season...unless they're OK franchising him.

I think the most likely scenario (by far) is an extension.

pittpete
03-19-2019, 03:34 PM
They dont have to do anything IMO, except win a SB in his last season as a Steeler...

Oh wow
03-20-2019, 11:30 AM
Anyone concerned that damn near every QB mentioned in this article missed the playoffs last year and mostly these teams looked like complete trash?

Be careful of the company you keep.

We won’t trade Ben but if we were smart it WOULD be an option.

Sword
03-21-2019, 09:04 AM
Anyone concerned that damn near every QB mentioned in this article missed the playoffs last year and mostly these teams looked like complete trash?

Be careful of the company you keep.

We won’t trade Ben but if we were smart it WOULD be an option.

that would be bold...I don't want to see it but, this is the best time to do it if you are going to....get MR in there every down

Sugar
03-21-2019, 09:13 AM
that would be bold...I don't want to see it but, this is the best time to do it if you are going to....get MR in there every down

Can you imagine the abject rage from the fans if the team traded Ben and started Rudolph?? Anyone who questioned their competence in the way Bell or Brown was handled would be completely justified at that point. This is a team that was a few tweaks and some drama away from being not only a playoff team, but as the last team to beat the SB champs a very good one at that. Trading Ben would just signal that they didn't care to win and were just going to give it to the Browns for a few years.

Steel Maniac
03-21-2019, 09:35 AM
Can you imagine the abject rage from the fans if the team traded Ben and started Rudolph?? Anyone who questioned their competence in the way Bell or Brown was handled would be completely justified at that point. This is a team that was a few tweaks and some drama away from being not only a playoff team, but as the last team to beat the SB champs a very good one at that. Trading Ben would just signal that they didn't care to win and were just going to give it to the Browns for a few years.

Yeah, that would be waving the proverbial "white flag" huh? I don't see them doing it. But we need to come to some determination on the two backups we have in regards to their down the road potential.

RuthlessBurgher
03-21-2019, 10:13 AM
But we need to come to some determination on the two backups we have in regards to their down the road potential.

Why? I'm perfectly fine with using the evidence from Latrobe camp and preseason games to give us an idea of Dobbs' and Rudolph's potential. When the games count, Ben should be under center. I only hope to see JD or MR in there if they are mopping up in the 4th quarter of games where we blew the other team out.

Northern_Blitz
03-21-2019, 10:30 AM
Why? I'm perfectly fine with using the evidence from Latrobe camp and preseason games to give us an idea of Dobbs' and Rudolph's potential. When the games count, Ben should be under center. I only hope to see JD or MR in there if they are mopping up in the 4th quarter of games where we blew the other team out.

This.

Outside of injury, I only want back ups playing in blow outs or after our seeding has been finalized.

Or maybe if we're clearly out of the playoffs...but I wonder how Ben would respond to sitting out in a situation like that.

Steel Maniac
03-21-2019, 11:36 AM
This.

Outside of injury, I only want back ups playing in blow outs or after our seeding has been finalized.

Or maybe if we're clearly out of the playoffs...but I wonder how Ben would respond to sitting out in a situation like that.

North, because this will tell us on what WE may or may not have to do in the very near future. If the QB of our future is already here, then all we need to do is make sure the team is stocked when that transition time comes.

But if the QB of the future isn't on this team , then we most likely will have to be aggressive in next year's great wave of supposed great QB's coming out of college. Meaning giving up draft picks and/or major stock to move up to get one. Yeah, we'll see what we have in camp but we need to see THIS camp if Rudolph/Dobbs is that guy. That's what I'm talking about.

Always have to have an eye on the future. Especially when franchise QB is in the discussion.

fordfixer
03-21-2019, 12:10 PM
Not until we get a Defense that can hold a lead.

NorthCoast
03-21-2019, 12:33 PM
It's not a coincidence that neither Tomlin nor Roethlisberger has been extended at this point.

There is more to this story...

Sugar
03-21-2019, 12:39 PM
It's not a coincidence that neither Tomlin nor Roethlisberger has been extended at this point.

Tomlin isn't typically extended until August. I don't know about Ben, but there's plenty of time before the end of camp.

RuthlessBurgher
03-21-2019, 12:39 PM

Last time we extended Ben 4 years ago, the contract was done in March. It's still March.

Last time we extended Tomlin 2 years ago, then contract was done in August. Nothing to see here.

NorthCoast
03-21-2019, 12:43 PM
Last time we extended Ben 4 years ago, the contract was done in March. It's still March.

Last time we extended Tomlin 2 years ago, then contract was done in August. Nothing to see here.

Damn it man! Why are you dogging my conspiracy theory..?

Buzz
03-21-2019, 01:23 PM
Dang what a crappy leader Ben is. He obviously doesn't care about connecting with his teammates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU-m6SyXmXc

NorthCoast
03-21-2019, 05:15 PM
The national media has never taken to Roethlisberger. They are taking this as an opportunity to pile on.
One way to quell the noise is to win games this season.
Roethlisberger will have the last laugh when the malcontents start trashing their current teams.

pittpete
03-21-2019, 05:42 PM
Dang what a crappy leader Ben is. He obviously doesn't care about connecting with his teammates.

That was one impressive video, thank you Buzz

Oh wow
03-21-2019, 07:20 PM

Has anyone ever been mic’d up and gone off the rails?

That would be hilarious.

Northern_Blitz
03-22-2019, 12:03 PM
North, because this will tell us on what WE may or may not have to do in the very near future. If the QB of our future is already here, then all we need to do is make sure the team is stocked when that transition time comes.

But if the QB of the future isn't on this team , then we most likely will have to be aggressive in next year's great wave of supposed great QB's coming out of college. Meaning giving up draft picks and/or major stock to move up to get one. Yeah, we'll see what we have in camp but we need to see THIS camp if Rudolph/Dobbs is that guy. That's what I'm talking about.

Always have to have an eye on the future. Especially when franchise QB is in the discussion.

I don't think either of they guys we have are future franchise guys.

But we'll have time to figure out what to do after Ben when he retires.

I don't want to jeopardize playoff seeding with an experiment where I think the most likely answer is none of the above.

RuthlessBurgher
03-22-2019, 12:07 PM

I don't want to jeopardize playoff seeding with an experiment where I think the most likely answer is none of the above.

https://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Uploads/Graphics/338-0613220949-none-of-the-above2.JPG

Disco1981
03-22-2019, 12:15 PM

Idk...Everybody always brings up Brady, He is the Benchmark and was a 6th rounder...

I'm not saying Rudolph will be the next Brady, But there have been lower round QB's who have been very good...We don't know what he can do yet really...

I just don't see Dobbs being the guy...Even though a small sample size, Don't see it

Northern_Blitz
03-22-2019, 05:04 PM
Idk...Everybody always brings up Brady, He is the Benchmark and was a 6th rounder...

I'm not saying Rudolph will be the next Brady, But there have been lower round QB's who have been very good...We don't know what he can do yet really...

I just don't see Dobbs being the guy...Even though a small sample size, Don't see it

Sure. And Brady got playing time because Bledsoe got hurt.

RuthlessBurgher
04-05-2019, 10:44 AM
ESPN.com discussed 11 NFL quarterbacks who could get mega extensions in 2019.

Here is the portion of it concerning Ben:

Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers

Remaining on his contract: One year, $17 million in cash ($23.2 million cap hit)

There are two reasons Roethlisberger is likely to be the first of the three quarterbacks from his now-legendary draft class to sign. One is that he was first the last time their contracts came due. In 2015, Roethlisberger signed his extension in March, while Philip Rivers waited until August and Eli Manning signed his deal in September. Roethlisberger got more in practical guarantees than Rivers, but he came away with $65 million over the first three years of his new deal, while Rivers was at $68 million and Manning sneaked slightly ahead at $68.5 million.

The other concern is public relations-related: The Steelers probably need to energize their fan base after moving on from both Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell in a matter of weeks. Roethlisberger isn't going to play anywhere else, of course, but extending their 37-year-old quarterback allows the Steelers to draw a line underneath a frantic free-agent period and get back to the business of locking up their stars. This offseason, it will be Roethlisberger; next year, they'll be able to extend JuJu Smith-Schuster and James Conner.

Big Ben looked like he took a step backward on deep throws last season, but he shouldered an enormous workload in throwing a league-high 675 passes. Crucially, the future Hall of Famer has been able to stay healthy; for just the second time in his career, he managed to go consecutive seasons without missing a game due to injury. Most players don't get healthier as they age into their late 30s, but Roethlisberger has missed only one start via injury since the 2015 playoffs.

While I wrote about how the Steelers refuse to guarantee multiple years of base salaries as a policy, the one exception they'll make on this current roster is for Roethlisberger. In his previous extension, he had the second and third years guaranteed for injury. The Steelers might be willing to guarantee only the second year for injury given Roethlisberger's advancing age, but he is also likely to get a large enough signing bonus to render the base salary guarantee irrelevant.

What his new deal could look like: Four years, $116 million with $44 million guaranteed at signing

Roethlisberger's 2015 extension provided him with the largest annual average salary in terms of new money, at $21.9 million per year, but I doubt he's going to get more than Rodgers or Wilson will get on their deals. This gets him to $29 million per season in new money, which would be fourth in the NFL behind Rodgers, Wilson and Matt Ryan.

This deal would lock up Roethlisberger well into his 40s. I don't think he's actually going to play four years, but the Steelers will probably want to keep five years (which includes the final season of his current deal) on the books to help spread out that $44 million signing bonus over as long of a time frame as possible. We would be looking at about $87 million over the first three years of this contract, and the Steelers would guarantee his 2020 base salary of $15.5 million for injury.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26427917/the-11-nfl-quarterbacks-get-mega-extensions-2019

Steel Maniac
04-05-2019, 10:47 AM

Don't forget that Joe Montana was drafted at the very end of the 3rd round as well.

Oviedo
04-05-2019, 02:20 PM

I think Rudolph is going to be a solid NFL starter. He may not become a HoF QB like Ben, but I think he can be a very good player for us.

I just don't see Dobbs as anything more than a journeyman back up QB. Just seems too inaccurate.

Steel Maniac
04-05-2019, 02:24 PM
I think Rudolph is going to be a solid NFL starter. He may not become a HoF QB like Ben, but I think he can be a very good player for us.

I just don't see Dobbs as anything more than a journeyman back up QB. Just seems too inaccurate.

It will be very interesting this training camp just to see where Randolph is at.

Northern_Blitz
04-05-2019, 05:04 PM
I wonder if they'll extend Ben at all.

If he's asking for too much, maybe they are entertaining the idea of franchising him? That seems like it'd be crazy, but it's odd that the extension hasn't happened yet IMO

hawaiiansteel
04-05-2019, 05:13 PM
I wonder if they'll extend Ben at all.

If he's asking for too much, maybe they are entertaining the idea of franchising him? That seems like it'd be crazy, but it's odd that the extension hasn't happened yet IMO

nah, it will get done soon...

RuthlessBurgher
04-05-2019, 06:17 PM
With Colbert and Tomlin traveling to various Pro Days all over the country for the last few weeks, and now hosting multiple players as a part of their 30 allowed official visits at their HQ on the South Side over the last few days, their immediate priorities recently have been elsewhere.

I realize that most of the contract negotiation is done by Omar Khan, but for Ben's final deal, he'll likely want Colbert's input, Tomlin's input, Rooney's input, etc.

With the draft coming up at the end of this month, I don't see some immediate rush to get Ben done now when the games don't start until September.

hawaiiansteel
04-05-2019, 06:37 PM
The reason for Ben Roethlisberger's delayed contract extension

By BRYAN DEARDO Apr 3

Ben Roethlisberger will still get his contract extension this offseason, Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported on Wednesday. Dulac also explained the reasons why the Steelers haven't come to terms with Big Ben after reportedly trying to do so back in March.

"While the Steelers have had on-going discussions with Ryan Tollner, Roethlisberger’s agent, they have not had much, if any, conversation with Roethlisberger, who has been out of town," Dulac wrote. "But a bigger reason for the delay is this: Tollner represents three other young marquee quarterbacks – Jared Goff of the Los Angeles Rams, Philadelphia’s Carson Wentz and Tennessee’s Marcus Mariota – all of whom are in the process of getting new deals.

"Goff and Wentz are entering the fourth year of their rookie contract that carries a fifth-year option. Mariota is in the final year of his five-year contract. The contract value they receive will help determine the amount Roethlisberger and his agent will expect from the Steelers. Roethlisberger is projected to count $23.2 million against the salary cap in 2019, according to overthecap.com, but that number will be lowered when he signs a new contract."

Roethlisberger is the final year of his four-year, $84 million contract that included $34,250,000 in guaranteed. Big Ben's projected contract extension, according to Spotrac.com, is a two-year $49,837,280 deal.

Big Ben has stated on multiple occasions that he can see himself playing anther well into the next decade. The Steelers, in efforts to keep Roethlisberger's offensive line in-tact for, gave Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey a contract extension last month. They also re-signed guard Ramon Foster to a two-year deal.

"As long as they’ll have me, I’ll be back," Roethlisberger told 93.7 The Fan days after the 2018 season came to an end. "I know I joked with you [after Pittsburgh's Week 17 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals], as long as [Maurkice Pouncey is] back, that’s a big thing for me, but it’s all the linemen up front, all those guys. It’s so much fun to play with them and for them. I’ll let the process kind of unfold itself. If the Steelers want to talk, my agents, that’s what they’re paid to do. But if they want to have me, I’d love to be here.

"I feel like in as good as shape as I’ve been in in a long time. I enjoy playing this game. The trainer has really made me better, put me in the best shape of my life. Arguably [just had] one of the best seasons of my life. The linemen keep me healthy, and so I really feel like my best football is still ahead of me. I really feel that way.

"I’m really excited. A good group of guys. I love what some of the young guys did this season."

Roethlisberger, 37, enjoyed the greatest statistical seasons of his career in 2018. In 16 games, Big Ben completed 67 percent of his passes for a league best (and franchise record) 5,129 yards. He also set a franchise record by throwing 34 touchdown passes against 16 interceptions. Roethlisberger did all of this while working with first year offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner.

"There were growing pains for us in terms of learning each other and learning situational things," Roethlisberger said of working with Fichtner this past season. "That just comes with a new position and a new guy that we communicate with and call plays. But man, if you look at what we did offensively, I thought it was pretty awesome in terms of moving guys around and some of the injuries we had and things like that. I thought it was an awesome situation with Randy and I’m excited for next year with him."

Despite the team missing the playoffs for the first time since 2013, Roethlisberger believes that the Steelers' Super Bowl window is still open.

"A lot of things to be encouraged with," Roethlisberger said of Pittsburgh's 2018 season. "One of the only things that really matters to me is winning championships. Winning and losing. Yeah, we won a passing title. Not me, we won the passing title in terms of throwing for the most yards and those kinds of things. That’s everybody. That’s wide receivers, that’s tight ends, that’s running backs, that’s the line. That’s an awesome accomplishment for our group, for Coach Randy. But to me, one of the biggest things is having a winning season. That’s 15 straight seasons since I’ve been here that we haven’t had a losing season. To me, that means a lot."

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Ben-Roethlisberger-contact-delays-130852091/

RuthlessBurgher
04-05-2019, 07:38 PM
"But to me, one of the biggest things is having a winning season. That’s 15 straight seasons since I’ve been here that we haven’t had a losing season. To me, that means a lot."

Will someone kindly inform our quarterback that, around these parts, that particular accomplishment is nothing to be proud of.

The use of that specific statistic is reserved solely for true fans to mock and demean his obviously incompetent head coach. :stirpot

RuthlessBurgher
04-05-2019, 07:43 PM
In other big money contract news, Dallas is currently in the process of finalizing a five year, $100 million contract for DE Demarcus Lawrence with $65 million guaranteed.

Oh wow
04-06-2019, 06:55 AM
Is Ben’s agent waiting on the Russell Wilson contract first?

I read that RW have Seattle a deadline for a new contract by April 15th.

Northern_Blitz
04-06-2019, 09:02 AM
Is Ben’s agent waiting on the Russell Wilson contract first?

I read that RW have Seattle a deadline for a new contract by April 15th.

If he wants to maxize earnings this makes sense.

Oh wow
04-06-2019, 09:27 AM
If he wants to maxize earnings this makes sense.

It’s crazy how Wilson gives the team a deadline and no one is up in arms about it.

fordfixer
04-06-2019, 12:22 PM
Will someone kindly inform our quarterback that, around these parts, that particular accomplishment is nothing to be proud of.

The use of that specific statistic is reserved solely for true fans to mock and demean his obviously incompetent head coach. :stirpot
I’m sure Ben is a poster here and is just trying to be put on ignore. :p

hawaiiansteel
04-06-2019, 04:57 PM
Blitzburg
@Steel_Curtain4
Apr 5

ESPN just said they think Ben Roethlisberger will get a 4 year $116 million deal with $44 million guaranteed. That seems steep. #Steelers

https://twitter.com/hashtag/Steelers?src=hash

Oh wow
04-07-2019, 08:05 AM
Lmao. If those numbers are legit I don’t want to hear anything about greed and why we can’t afford to field a good defense.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-07-2019, 08:40 AM
that's in line with what other qbs get

funny how you think bell and brown should try and get every last dollar but Ben should take less

Oh wow
04-07-2019, 09:00 AM
that's in line with what other qbs get

funny how you think bell and brown should try and get every last dollar but Ben should take less
Please stop lying.

I never said anything about how AB should get every last dollar.

I said Bell because it’s pretty much his only big contract since he is a RB.

I also said if we wanted to stay competitive Ben should take a discount since he already made a ton of money.

There is reason Brady stays competitive and it’s partially because he takes less than the market rate for a QB.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-07-2019, 09:16 AM
nobody is lying you clown

you advocated for those two to get as much as they possibly could

but now Ben should take a discount "because he's already made a ton" AB made a boatload as well. you are the same hypocrite you have always been

Oh wow
04-07-2019, 09:22 AM
nobody is lying you clown

you advocated for those two to get as much as they possibly could

but now Ben should take a discount "because he's already made a ton" AB made a boatload as well. you are the same hypocrite you have always been

You sound mad.

It’s not hypocritical to keep the same stance with Ben’s contract as I have always taken.

A huge QB contract will make it much harder to win a SB.

Especially one who throws INT’s to Nose tackles and still makes rookie mistakes because he is a “gunslinger”

Eddie Spaghetti
04-07-2019, 09:28 AM
yeah, let's cut Ben and his contract and start your boy Dobbs. that will make it much easier to win a SB

why don't you just admit you hate Ben for whatever reason you have cooked up

pittpete
04-07-2019, 09:49 AM
Think about the difference between the two and you have your answer

Oh wow
04-07-2019, 10:03 AM
Think about the difference between the two and you have your answer
Think about all the years we “wasted” Ben’s career and the difference in his compensation.

There is your answer.

Oh wow
04-07-2019, 10:13 AM
yeah, let's cut Ben and his contract and start your boy Dobbs. that will make it much easier to win a SB

why don't you just admit you hate Ben for whatever reason you have cooked up

Dobbs or Rudolph would’ve been fine with me if moving forward. Spend that money on defense and watch how quickly we get back to “Steeler” football.

I’ve also been clear on my criticism of him.

Stupid rookie mistake throws like the Pats ending that impacted our seeding.

Rape accusations

Ugly road games

Passive aggressive leadership style.. lol.

It’s not like my complaints are unwarranted.

and another thing... lol. People on here are critical of Tomlin, Colbert, Butler, AB, Bell, Dupree but as soon as someone criticizes Ben... it’s hypocritical hate.

Northern_Blitz
04-07-2019, 12:39 PM
Lmao. If those numbers are legit I don’t want to hear anything about greed and why we can’t afford to field a good defense.

I dont's think it's a moral failure to try to get market value.

It wasn't for Bell and its not with Ben.

pittpete
04-07-2019, 12:43 PM
I hope they dont extend him for 4 years.
I hope Rudolph steps up and is the QB of the future..

Oh wow or whatever you call yourself now missed the point

Oh wow
04-07-2019, 12:58 PM

I know your point. You think it’s racial.
This is strictly about trends. Most veteran QB’s who make a ton of money make it hard on the franchise to pay other players.

Look at Russell Wilson. Once he got paid they struggled to stay competitive because they had to let a ton of talent go.

If we miss the playoffs WITH Ben then I don’t see how paying him a ton of money going forward is going to help us long term.

I think we will be a 9 to 10 win season type of team who stays competitive but doesn’t challenge for a SB until we shed the QB money.

Give Rudolph or Dobbs a team with 28 million more to spend on talent elsewhere and I think we will see this team turn back into what we remembered as the good ole days.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-07-2019, 12:58 PM

same as always. he talks so much he has trouble following along

like trying to infuse how people criticize tomlin, Colbert etc. everybody is open to criticism

it's hypocritical when you say some players deserve every dollar they can get but when the 2 time SB winning QB wants market value he is somehow being greedy

it's beyond stupidity at this point and just about everyone here who pays attention knows why he dislikes Ben roethlisberger

Northern_Blitz
04-07-2019, 01:18 PM

like trying to infuse how people criticize tomlin, Colbert etc. everybody is open to criticism

it's hypocritical when you say some players deserve every dollar they can get but when the 2 time SB winning QB wants market value he is somehow being greedy

it's beyond stupidity at this point and just about everyone here who pays attention knows why he dislikes Ben roethlisberger

It's also probably hypocritical to say that Bell is morally wrong to seek market value, but Ben isn't.

Oh wow
04-07-2019, 01:18 PM
I dont's think it's a moral failure to try to get market value.

It wasn't for Bell and its not with Ben.

While I don’t think it’s morally wrong to want market value..

IF you want to win a SB I think you take less than market value.

For the franchise it’s bad for business.

Mind you, this is my opinion if these numbers are true.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-07-2019, 01:23 PM
It's also probably hypocritical to say that Bell is morally wrong to seek market value, but Ben isn't.

agree 100%

bell was offered market value and turned his nose up at it and signed for less elsewhere

Oh wow
04-07-2019, 01:30 PM

Again, I said Bell should’ve had a chance to get market value because it’s probably his only chance at a huge pay day.

and when other players like Bell want market value it’s called greed and fans are angry at the players.

Ben should get market value because he won 2 SB’s a decade ago? This is how a franchise gets into trouble.

When a QB makes 186 million and is pressing for big money (market rate is ridiculous for QB’s).... best believe it’s bad business on our end.

Oh wow
04-07-2019, 01:33 PM
agree 100%

bell was offered market value and turned his nose up at it and signed for less elsewhere

He didn’t turn his nose up, he wanted to test the market and was restricted by the FO.

The Gurley contract showed Bell wasn’t being greedy for wanting more guaranteed money.

pittpete
04-07-2019, 01:34 PM
I know your point. You think it’s racial.
This is strictly about trends. Most veteran QB’s who make a ton of money make it hard on the franchise to pay other players.

Look at Russell Wilson. Once he got paid they struggled to stay competitive because they had to let a ton of talent go.

If we miss the playoffs WITH Ben then I don’t see how paying him a ton of money going forward is going to help us long term.

I think we will be a 9 to 10 win season type of team who stays competitive but doesn’t challenge for a SB until we shed the QB money.

Give Rudolph or Dobbs a team with 28 million more to spend on talent elsewhere and I think we will see this team turn back into what we remembered as the good ole days.

Yes a team that couldnt get passed the AFC Championship game....
Im not advocating for giving Ben a HUGE contract extension either

Eddie Spaghetti
04-07-2019, 01:37 PM
when ben raps about imma need 40 million and talking about resetting the QB market I will criticize him as well

trying to blame Ben for the going rate for a franchise QB is just another absurd example of how you dislike him

take Ben off this roster with this inept coaching staff and this team would struggle to get to 5 wins

pittpete
04-07-2019, 01:38 PM
and white QB's^^^^^^^

RuthlessBurgher
04-07-2019, 01:42 PM

I imagine the rationale for a contract of that length would be to be able to spread the slotted singing bonus money out over more years, thereby lowering his cap number.

Oh wow
04-07-2019, 01:43 PM
Yes a team that couldnt get passed the AFC Championship game....
Im not advocating for giving Ben a HUGE contract extension either

Well, we haven’t been to a SB in 8 years.

I just think if we pay Ben stupid money we are going to see more of the same.

Take a little less and get that playmaker on D we keep talking about.

I don’t think we will find another Troy in the draft and even if we did it takes a few years for that type of talent to blossom.

Oh wow
04-07-2019, 01:51 PM
when ben raps about imma need 40 million and talking about resetting the QB market I will criticize him as well

trying to blame Ben for the going rate for a franchise QB is just another absurd example of how you dislike him

Ben doesn’t rap... but he was accused of doing something much worse just add another letter.

Only thing I blame Ben for is not playing the type of football that wins a SB these past 8 years. You want 4 more years of that at market rate?

No thanks.

When you make that much and throw 5INT’s vs the Jags and give them 21 points of your turnovers... no. I don’t like that.

When you run a dumb ass sandlot play and throw an INT when you can tie with a FG vs the Pats to extend the game. Nope.. don’t like it.

When you lead the league in INT’s and call yourself a gunslinger.. no, I don’t like it.

I don’t want to pay market rate for a QB who keeps making rookie mistakes in the RZ.

I would prefer he takes less at this point in his career or we move on.

If Montana can move than so can Ben. You can’t keep holding onto a QB just because he won 2 SB’s for you. I don’t want to look like the Giants out of loyalty to an aging QB.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-07-2019, 01:55 PM
your constant bringing up a bogus rape accusation from more than a decade ago is pathetic

your hatred for Ben is rooted in something much deeper than his play on the field and anyone who isnt as blind as ray charles can see it

it sucks that you can back. this place was much better without you

hawaiiansteel
04-07-2019, 05:37 PM
Ben doesn’t rap... but he was accused of doing something much worse just add another letter.

"accused" is the operative word.

I can accuse anyone of anything, doesn't mean it's true.

Oh wow
04-07-2019, 06:45 PM
"accused" is the operative word.

I can accuse anyone of anything, doesn't mean it's true.

I could see if it was once but when you are accused 2 times???

Just saying their are valid reasons not to like Ben.

Oh wow
04-07-2019, 06:56 PM
your constant bringing up a bogus rape accusation from more than a decade ago is pathetic

it sucks that you can back. this place was much better without you

So we should only bring up the positive from Bens career?

See how that works?

Captain obvious, Of course my frustration is deeper than his play on the field. It’s his off field behavior and leadership style that turns me off.

please ignore me if it frustrate you to the point you say things like “it sucks you came back, it was better without you”

What is this Teenwolf 3?

Eddie Spaghetti
04-07-2019, 07:04 PM
and yet you love AB and bell and their stupid antics

says alot about you

Northern_Blitz
04-07-2019, 07:19 PM

says alot about you

Was anyone pro-AB?

Bell was different IMO because he was in a contract negotiation.

AB just took his ball and went home (after taking the guaranteed money of course).

Oh wow
04-07-2019, 07:19 PM

says alot about you
When did I love their off field antics?

I loved on field production.

Oh wow
04-07-2019, 07:21 PM
Was anyone pro-AB?

Bell was different IMO because he was in a contract negotiation.

AB just took his ball and went home (after taking the guaranteed money of course).

Exactly. Are we better without him? Time will tell but no one defended him when he went off the rails.

pittpete
04-07-2019, 07:53 PM
Pretty sure you did say it was ok for AB to celebrate and take a penalty because we were winning.

hawaiiansteel
04-07-2019, 08:40 PM
http://thatschurch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/brown.jpg

Oh wow
04-07-2019, 08:45 PM
Pretty sure you did say it was ok for AB to celebrate and take a penalty because we were winning.
Far down the list of reasons to complain about AB.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-08-2019, 02:04 PM
You can't simply look at the overall value ($116M) over 4 years, which is an average of $29M and decide whether or not it's a good contract. The key is the guaranteed money, and at $44M that is pretty low. There are many ways to structure a deal, but think about this simple example.

4 years, $44M SB, Salaries of
$10.5M ($21.5M cap hit)
$16M ($27M cap hit)
$18M ($29M cap hit)
$33.5M ($44.5M cap hit)

Ben is cut after season 3 since nobody really expected him to play 4 more years, and team is hit with $11M dead cap hit.

Compared to other QBs who have recently signed the last few years:

Alex Smith - 4 years $55M guaranteed (2018)
Kirk Cousins - 3 years $84M guaranteed (2018)
Stafford - 5 years $92M guaranteed (2017)
Rodgers - 4 years $98.2M guaranteed (2018)
Carr - 5 years $70.2M guaranteed (2017)

There are a few others with "guaranteed" and "guaranteed for injury" and I'm not sure how that works in terms of total team commitment. Bottom line is that a $44M guarantee is not a big number under the circumstances - especially considering that I doubt the team expects Ben to play the full four years.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-08-2019, 10:15 PM
crickets from #1 Ben hater when it doesn't suit his agenda

Kirk cousins gets almost 30 million a year guaranteed but Ben should play at a discount

gtfo

Oh wow
04-08-2019, 10:34 PM
crickets from #1 Ben hater when it doesn't suit his agenda

Kirk cousins gets almost 30 million a year guaranteed but Ben should play at a discount

gtfo

Kirk gets that much and he missed the playoffs. Just because Kirk hit the FA lottery doesn’t mean we need to match his offer.

NJ-STEELER
04-08-2019, 11:17 PM
I could see if it was once but when you are accused 2 times???

Just saying their are valid reasons not to like Ben.

if you follow this team and the reports of what happened in each, you would know they were both gross false accusations.
if you need to be reminded. in the first incident the woman bragged about being with Ben. how do you brag about being with someone and then accuse them of sexual assault?
the girls involved in the 2nd incident brought up the first incident to ben and his people. that should tell you everything you need to know there

Steel Maniac
04-08-2019, 11:44 PM
Agreed....

Oh wow
04-09-2019, 10:13 AM
if you follow this team and the reports of what happened in each, you would know they were both gross false accusations.
if you need to be reminded. in the first incident the woman bragged about being with Ben. how do you brag about being with someone and then accuse them of sexual assault?
the girls involved in the 2nd incident brought up the first incident to ben and his people. that should tell you everything you need to know there
All I know is when you are accused the first time and then find yourself in a utility closet with a girl who isn’t 21 it’s a problem.

Especially when you settle out of court and the video tape from the nights events ends up “destroyed”

But yeah... keep believing he is an innocent victim.

Steel Maniac
04-09-2019, 10:37 AM
I believe it came down to a he said/she said situation and the DA decided not to pursue the case if Im not mistaken. There was accusations of a payoff thou.

https://larrybrownsports.com/darwin-nominations/ugly-details-ben-roethlisberger-sexual-assault-police-report/15972

Oh wow
04-09-2019, 11:42 AM
I believe it came down to a he said/she said situation and the DA decided not to pursue the case if Im not mistaken. There was accusations of a payoff thou.

https://larrybrownsports.com/darwin-nominations/ugly-details-ben-roethlisberger-sexual-assault-police-report/15972

I don’t know how anyone reads that second accusation and comes to his defense.

People get bent out of shape over Hunts toe tap kick (which was stupid) but read all this info on Ben and used a DTF sticker as consent.

Whatever, I just hope we never have to defend another Steeler player from that type of stuff.

NJ-STEELER
04-10-2019, 07:09 AM
All I know is when you are accused the first time and then find yourself in a utility closet with a girl who isn’t 21 it’s a problem.

Especially when you settle out of court and the video tape from the nights events ends up “destroyed”

But yeah... keep believing he is an innocent victim.

all you know is nothing actually

the tapes rolled over into the next day. do you think businesses keep vcr tapes in their storage room from every day they are open for business? if the police asked for them that night, they would have got them

besides, what would the tapes show different then what several eye witnesses statement said?
do you think tapes were being rolled in the bathroom/storage room? you know they can't have cameras rolling there for privacy issues, right??

some of those eye witnesses stated "she was all over Ben". the only ones to even slightly side with the girl were (guess what) her friends.
a poster on another board says he did security detail after the incident. He mentions if any of the allegations were true, he would not be a fan of ben or the steelers any more.
said the result of the investigation is what played out. a girl out there looking to bang a star, got too drunk and fell, is embarrassed, then makes up an allegation. even an over zealous DA didn't have enough evidence to officially charge Ben
I'll assume you never had a female initiate a sexual encounter with you and think its impossible that the events played out that way.
maybe the DTF on their shirts stands for some religious symbol that ben and his lawyers are obvioulsy burying

all you have is half assed rumors and theories that people like you, troll steelers fan pages with.

NJ-STEELER
04-10-2019, 07:15 AM
I don’t know how anyone reads that second accusation and comes to his defense.

People get bent out of shape over Hunts toe tap kick (which was stupid) but read all this info on Ben and used a DTF sticker as consent.

Whatever, I just hope we never have to defend another Steeler player from that type of stuff.

you should read the whole report. not just what the alleged victim and her friend said about the incident who obviously have a biased side to it.
there were ye witness statements from people in that bar with no allegiance to either side

Oh wow
04-10-2019, 08:25 AM
all you know is nothing actually

the tapes rolled over into the next day. do you think businesses keep vcr tapes in their storage room from every day they are open for business? if the police asked for them that night, they would have got them

besides, what would the tapes show different then what several eye witnesses statement said?
do you think tapes were being rolled in the bathroom/storage room? you know they can't have cameras rolling there for privacy issues, right??

some of those eye witnesses stated "she was all over Ben". the only ones to even slightly side with the girl were (guess what) her friends.
a poster on another board says he did security detail after the incident. He mentions if any of the allegations were true, he would not be a fan of ben or the steelers any more.
said the result of the investigation is what played out. a girl out there looking to bang a star, got too drunk and fell, is embarrassed, then makes up an allegation. even an over zealous DA didn't have enough evidence to officially charge Ben
I'll assume you never had a female initiate a sexual encounter with you and think its impossible that the events played out that way.
maybe the DTF on their shirts stands for some religious symbol that ben and his lawyers are obvioulsy burying

all you have is half assed rumors and theories that people like you, troll steelers fan pages with.

If you have an SA allegation in your past and you are worth hundreds of millions...

You DONT go into a utility closet with a drunk girl in a college bar.

Keep defending that type of behavior.

Nothing good comes from that type of interaction.

I’ve more than my share of drunk women wanting all of this goodness and back in my day I had my fun but I also was smart enough to know where the line was and not to cross it. Not even bragging but I used to be in a band that opened for groups like Outkast and The Roots. I have seen more than my fair share of drunk chicks who were trying to have fun while on tour.

and now that I have something to lose I would never take that chance for a quick fix.

Oh wow
04-10-2019, 08:34 AM
you should read the whole report. not just what the alleged victim and her friend said about the incident who obviously have a biased side to it.
there were ye witness statements from people in that bar with no allegiance to either side

I hear you but I think you are missing the point.

I’ve never said Ben raped these women. I’m pretty good at making sure I say (ACCUSED) because it’s not the actual act it’s the accusations and putting yourself in a negative light.

Public perception trumps all IMO.

Whether you like it or not that part of Ben’s legacy.

Sugar
04-10-2019, 10:36 AM
I hear you but I think you are missing the point.

I’ve never said Ben raped these women. I’m pretty good at making sure I say (ACCUSED) because it’s not the actual act it’s the accusations and putting yourself in a negative light.

Public perception trumps all IMO.

Whether you like it or not that part of Ben’s legacy.

As someone who lives in Bengals territory I am fairly often correcting those incorrect perceptions. Just because people hold to a false narrative doesn't mean you can't correct it.

Oh wow
04-10-2019, 01:50 PM
As someone who lives in Bengals territory I am fairly often correcting those incorrect perceptions. Just because people hold to a false narrative doesn't mean you can't correct it.

Ehh.. that’s the problem. We have to constantly defend Ben over that nonsense and tell people to read reports and details.

Imagine if Kobe Bryant had a second accusation after his first one?

Sugar
04-11-2019, 09:58 AM
Ehh.. that’s the problem. We have to constantly defend Ben over that nonsense and tell people to read reports and details.

Imagine if Kobe Bryant had a second accusation after his first one?

The problem is that people believe a false narrative, not that I have to correct it.

Oh wow
04-11-2019, 10:03 AM
The problem is that people believe a false narrative, not that I have to correct it.

No. The problem is Ben ignored warnings and continued to put himself in jeopardy.

There is a reason we haven’t heard anymore stories about Ben... he finally wised up.

Ernie
04-16-2019, 08:44 AM
Well.. Russell Wilson just announced his next extension... 4 year 140 million. This should get interesting.

RuthlessBurgher
04-16-2019, 03:40 PM
Ben Roethlisberger: We are all about each other

Posted by Josh Alper on April 16, 2019, 2:42 PM EDT

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has been the subject of critical comments from a variety of former teammates since the end of the 2018 season and several current teammates have spoken up to refute those barbs, but the quarterback has not offered a direct response to any of it over the last few months.

That didn’t change when he provided a few quotes to the team’s website about the start of the offseason program. Roethlisberger said that it has been “fun to be out there throwing with the guys” for the first time since Week 17 of the 2018 season.

Roethlisberger was also asked about having all of the core veterans on the team on hand for the voluntary sessions and his answer included what could be taken as a comment about some of the people who aren’t in Pittsburgh any longer.

“I expect nothing else,” Roethlisberger said. “We want to show we are here, dedicated to this team, dedicated to having a great season. We are all about each other.”

Running back Le'Veon Bell and wide receiver Antonio Brown were the biggest departures from the Steelers. Bell wasn’t with the team at all last season while Brown’s final days with the team did little to live up to the idea of full dedication to the team. That may not have been the impetus for Roethlisberger’s comments on Tuesday, but the choice of words doesn’t feel totally coincidental given the words some others have chosen to use about Roethlisberger of late.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/16/ben-roethlisberger-we-are-all-about-each-other/