PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign WR Donte Moncrief on 2 year deal

Pages : [1] 2

hawaiiansteel
03-14-2019, 12:19 AM
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Former Jaguars’ WR Donte Moncrief reached agreement on a two-year deal with the Pittsburgh Steeelrs, per source.

13 Mar 2019

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1106045179285434370?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcam p%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

NJ-STEELER
03-14-2019, 12:24 AM
nice, I've always liked him even if he hasn't fully lived up to expectations
I can certainly live with a core of JJSS, DM, JW, switz,rodgers. maybe draft a speed guy in the middle to late rounds

SidSmythe
03-14-2019, 12:26 AM
Hmmmm . . . Not earth shattering but not terrible either.

Former 3rd round draft pick.

Steelhere10
03-14-2019, 12:41 AM
That's who I was hoping for, better career playing with Luck.

SS Laser
03-14-2019, 01:03 AM
Is he the X receiver? Tate was not right a X position right? Plus I bet Tate is to expensive.

Buzz
03-14-2019, 01:26 AM
Goodbye Justin Hunter.

brothervad
03-14-2019, 01:31 AM
Just checked out his Twitter page...last tweet was other than a retweet from 21 Jul 2018

Donte Moncrief‏Verified account @drm_12 21 Jul 2018 (https://twitter.com/drm_12/status/1020708278983188480)

Today last day of social media for a while. Time to lock in.. Dat Time.

54 replies 45 retweets 888 likes

Maybe that was the clincher to sign him to that two year deal.

:)

brothervad

Chadman
03-14-2019, 01:32 AM
He’s a deep threat, a player to take the top of the D, opening things up for JuJu, Switzer and Rogers, but also doesn’t take away the possibility of drafting another WR, just means there’s no dire ‘need’ to do it. So far the 2 FA signings have been solid.

Overlook his stats last season as he had the worst combination of QB’s in the NFL throwing to him.

One positive, he had some success playing with Andrew Luck, who scrambles and extends plays something like what Ben can do. Steelers WR’s need to be flexible enough in their mind to break off routes, throw in double moves etc, to get separation in those instances, which he has shown he can do.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-14-2019, 01:33 AM
I like the signing, always liked him for some reason. He has the speed I wanted to take the top off the D. I like Tate as a player but not so sure he is the right guy to open the field for Washington and Vance. JuJu also can operate underneath in traffic. Moncrief will draw attention as the speedster.

6'2", 221, ran a 4.40 at the combine in 2014

Steel Maniac
03-14-2019, 01:38 AM
nice, I've always liked him even if he hasn't fully lived up to expectations
I can certainly live with a core of JJSS, DM, JW, switz,rodgers. maybe draft a speed guy in the middle to late rounds

I’ve liked him too. This is a good get. Takes pressure off of us to have to take a Wr early.

steeler_george
03-14-2019, 03:05 AM
I can't complain. He fills a need.

A speedy, young vet, who played well with played with Luck. IT was so long ago, I can't recall how he played with a good QB. Not sure who the 3rd WR, nor TE (Doyle?), nor RB was.

This was a pretty weak class of outside FA WRs... T. Williams, Moncrief, and Conley were the top 3. Not sure why Indy signed Funches( sp) over Moncrief. I thought that maybe TY and Luck would endorse a reunion.

The key to this signing is :

JuJu keep takes over asWR#1 and keeps improving.
And hope his contract is friendly.

Ernie
03-14-2019, 05:19 AM
great signing. gives us more flexibity to take a WR a little later on if needed... slides TE up the draft board for us also

SteelBucks
03-14-2019, 07:10 AM
I don’t know much about him. Is he a slot receiver? I’m assuming he’s not a #2 type receiver but would help in 4/5 WR sets?

Ernie
03-14-2019, 07:12 AM
I don’t know much about him. Is he a slot receiver? I’m assuming he’s not a #2 type receiver but would help in 4/5 WR sets?

He's listed at 6'2" and is known for taking the top off of defenses. I'd have to think he would fit in well for us as a #2. We should be set at the slot..

SteelBucks
03-14-2019, 07:23 AM
He's listed at 6'2" and is known for taking the top off of defenses. I'd have to think he would fit in well for us as a #2. We should be set at the slot..

Thanks Ernie. Sounds like a cheaper version of Golden Tate. We need a burner.

RobinCole
03-14-2019, 07:44 AM
Wait, the Steelers signed another FA? I thought Colbert was too busy watching the Pirates in FL. I guess when you have a pen and a phone you can multitask?

Oh, and I thought no FAs would ever sign with Pittsburgh again. You know, because we treat our players so badly.

Ernie
03-14-2019, 07:47 AM
Thanks Ernie. Sounds like a cheaper version of Golden Tate. We need a burner.

Nice thing is, he's been in the league 5 or 6 years... but is only 25-26 years old. I could see him having a breakout season with us this year.

Steel Maniac
03-14-2019, 07:58 AM
Nice thing is, he's been in the league 5 or 6 years... but is only 25-26 years old. I could see him having a breakout season with us this year.

Me too. I’ve been kinda admiring him from his Indy days. On paper, he was always poised for a big year but would have injuries. But with the way we use Wr’s I could see he and juju being 1 & 1a. I thought he had the next best free agent potential behind Williams. This is a good, good get for us.

Rara
03-14-2019, 07:59 AM
Very good signing! It does move WR need lower in priority to mid round now. Starting to shape out what the Steelers are targeting the most in the first two rounds.. besides best player available, of course.

Steel Maniac
03-14-2019, 08:04 AM
Wait, the Steelers signed another FA? I thought Colbert was too busy watching the Pirates in FL. I guess when you have a pen and a phone you can multitask?

Oh, and I thought no FAs would ever sign with Pittsburgh again. You know, because we treat our players so badly.

Yeah... that’s a terrible nerrative out there about us. We pay and treat our guys very well.

passhappy
03-14-2019, 08:07 AM
https://youtu.be/TGvkYsWzQ0g

Oviedo
03-14-2019, 08:18 AM
He’s a deep threat, a player to take the top of the D, opening things up for JuJu, Switzer and Rogers, but also doesn’t take away the possibility of drafting another WR, just means there’s no dire ‘need’ to do it. So far the 2 FA signings have been solid.

Overlook his stats last season as he had the worst combination of QB’s in the NFL throwing to him.

One positive, he had some success playing with Andrew Luck, who scrambles and extends plays something like what Ben can do. Steelers WR’s need to be flexible enough in their mind to break off routes, throw in double moves etc, to get separation in those instances, which he has shown he can do.

I think we will absolutely draft a WR in the first three round. Let me rephrase "a WR or TE." I prefer an early pick on a potentially elite TE

Ernie
03-14-2019, 08:18 AM
Very good signing! It does move WR need lower in priority to mid round now. Starting to shape out what the Steelers are targeting the most in the first two rounds.. besides best player available, of course.

It certainly is. I am fine with the Browns, Raiders, Ravens etc stealing the offseason headlines. We are quietly making some very good moves early on in FA. This certainly gives us a more clearer path to our draft choices, and allows some of our younger guys more time to develop. Kudos to the FO for a job well done. Now all we need is a draft comparable to the 2017 class (3 pro-bowlers this year).

Ghost
03-14-2019, 08:19 AM
This is a great value add. Takes the pressure off to draft a WR to quickly. Ju Ju, Moncrief and Washington to start the year. I’ll take it.

Ran a 4.4 40 at the combine. Good for third fastest WR that year (2014). He’s got deep speed.

The last 2 years have been frustrating for him – Luck was hurt all year in ‘17 and then last year Bortles was his QB. He probably feels as if he crested a desert hill and just found an oasis!

Best Season – 2015 (2nd in league): 64 catches / 733 yards / 6 TDs.

Ernie
03-14-2019, 08:20 AM
I think we will absolutely draft a WR in the first three round. Let me rephrase "a WR or TE." I prefer an early pick on a potentially elite TE

I think the Moncrief signing shifts that towards a TE. Outside of the top 3 (Hockensen, Fant, Smith Jr).... I believe a very good prospect will be there in round 3 when we pick. A '"Plug and play" guy.

Steel Maniac
03-14-2019, 08:24 AM
Me too; I’m feeling really good about what our first 4 picks can be. Just hope & pray we get 2 linebackers out of the first 4 picks. That would be ideal.

calmkiller
03-14-2019, 08:33 AM
He was the first visitor we brought in during the 2014 Official visits:

Donte Moncreif
WR
Mississippi
6-2/221
4/1/14
2-3

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-14-2019, 08:39 AM
Good Signing. Now we should be done with calculated contracts. Bargain Time & non-calculated contracts. Need Insurance, depth, & camp comp. See what Barron & Brown will cost. Houston or Perry. Need a DT go get McGee. If Burnett on way out see what Cyprien cost. Pick up phone put offers out there. These are the type of signings now that created good depth & competition.

Steel Maniac
03-14-2019, 08:42 AM
Good Signing. Now we should be done with calculated contracts. Bargain Time & non-calculated contracts. Need Insurance, depth, & camp comp. See what Barron & Brown will cost. Houston or Perry. Need a DT go get McGee. If Burnett on way out see what Cyprien cost. Pick up phone put offers out there. These are the type of signings now that created good depth & competition.

Here here ....

SteelBucks
03-14-2019, 08:48 AM

The pink elephant is still in the room. The giant need at ILB.

Ernie
03-14-2019, 08:52 AM
The pink elephant is still in the room. The giant need at ILB.

That's true.. I'd look at Zack Brown from the Skins... or plan on drafting one very high.

SteelBucks
03-14-2019, 08:59 AM
That's true.. I'd look at Zack Brown from the Skins... or plan on drafting one very high.

Unless we make a move in FA or a trade, I’d bet the house on LB in round 1.

Ernie
03-14-2019, 09:28 AM
Unless we make a move in FA or a trade, I’d bet the house on LB in round 1.

Yep... time to start studying Mac Wilson. Devin Bush will end up a Raven... unless they trade ahead of the Bengals to get Devin White.

SteelBucks
03-14-2019, 09:43 AM
Yep... time to start studying Mac Wilson. Devin Bush will end up a Raven... unless they trade ahead of the Bengals to get Devin White.

In my perfect world Devin White is a Steeler after a trade with Buffalo.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-14-2019, 09:46 AM
We will be trading up to secure ILB. White may be too expensive. If you could get Denver to bite on our 1st, 2nd, & 5th...Do it. They may ask for 4 but I wouldn't budge.

I think we we trade up with Carolina for Bush so Ravens don't get him. We get #16 & #154 they get #20 & #83. Shhh..Don't tell anyone.

Ernie
03-14-2019, 09:48 AM
We will be trading up to secure ILB. White may be too expensive. If you could get Denver to bite on our 1st, 2nd, & 5th...Do it. They may ask for 4 but I wouldn't budge.

I think we we trade up with Carolina for Bush so Ravens don't get him. We get #16 & #154 they get #20 & #83. Shhh..Don't tell anyone.

haha... this has "Reach" written all over it... especially since we suspect the Ravens will be trying to do the same thing.

Id be fine with doing what you have proposed though (with Carolina)... because we picked up Moncrief.

SteelBucks
03-14-2019, 09:52 AM

I wonder what the price tag would be to trade up and grab White? It would make for a boring draft day 2 and 3 but I’d be willing for a bold move. Fix the ILB need once and for all.

steelz09
03-14-2019, 10:01 AM

They are doing what they normally do. Try to fill holes with mid tier FAs to allow them to draft BPA at a position of need rather than reaching (although they still have reached in the recent past).

ILB, OLB and TE are top of the list imo. I still would like to include CB but I feel the signing of Nelson has dropped it from the high priority list.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-14-2019, 10:04 AM
haha... this has "Reach" written all over it... especially since we suspect the Ravens will be trying to do the same thing.

Id be fine with doing what you have proposed though (with Carolina)... because we picked up Moncrief.
Yeah I don't see it as a reach. He's definitely a solid pick at #20. But he is a need. Been a need for a long time.
You have to go get one.

Steelers have tried to go up & get their LB. I have no problem even going up for White. Biggest deficiency in the defense is right in the middle. Can not correct within or FA long term. You have to have an ILB that can stay on field. Today's NFL has no time for in-drive rotation. It's end of story. We have our situational LBs. Steelers need one long term & a 2nd for rotation & insurance. You can get 2nd FA...There are some out there including Fort which is why the interest.I hear he wants to start & that's not In the plans but a good 2 at the price.

Ernie
03-14-2019, 10:04 AM
They are doing what they normally do. Try to fill holes with mid tier FAs to allow them to draft BPA at a position of need rather than reaching (although they still have reached in the recent past).

ILB, OLB and TE are top of the list imo. I still would like to include CB but I feel the signing of Nelson has dropped it from the high priority list.

Agreed..... hope those are our 1st 3 picks.

SteelBucks
03-14-2019, 10:12 AM
Yeah I don't see it as a reach. He's definitely a solid pick at #20. But he is a need. Been a need for a long time.
You have to go get one.

Steelers have tried to go up & get their LB. I have no problem even going up for White. Biggest deficiency in the defense is right in the middle. Can not correct within or FA long term. You have to have an ILB that can stay on field. Today's NFL has no time for in-drive rotation. It's end of story. We have our situational LBs. Steelers need one long term & a 2nd for rotation & insurance. You can get 2nd FA...There are some out there.

Agreed. We tried with Bostic but he was a stop gap. Steelers need to be agressive at ILB or we’re stuck with more of the same. I’m on the White Train until someone gives me a good excuse to jump off.

Ernie
03-14-2019, 10:17 AM
Agreed. We tried with Bostic but he was a stop gap. Steelers need to be agressive at ILB or we’re stuck with more of the same. I’m on the White Train until someone gives me a good excuse to jump off.

Hey Im a D. White fan. The question is, how much do you give up in order to get him? Is it worth giving up the rest of the draft? I'm no draft expert but I'd have to assume it involves multiple picks...and probably a 1st rounder next year.

SteelBucks
03-14-2019, 10:20 AM
Hey Im a D. White fan. The question is, how much do you give up in order to get him? Is it worth giving up the rest of the draft? I'm no draft expert but I'd have to assume it involves multiple picks...and probably a 1st rounder next year.

Yeah, I’m not sure if it would involve a 1st next year but it would involve multiple picks. We have 10 picks...I’m willing to sacrifice some.

Steel Maniac
03-14-2019, 10:25 AM
Nope..I"m not willing to move any picks for any offensive player this year. If we package picks to get someone, it has to be someone on defense.

We can't keep doing the same stupid stuff we've been doing by spending heavy on one side of the ball. I'm in total agreement with Captain Lemming in that we need to spend on the defense now; move draft picks for players on defense. That's what we need to emphasize now.

I like White too but we need to do different going forward.

flippy
03-14-2019, 10:26 AM
I kinda feel like we're taking a chance on the Artie Burns of receivers. Great athlete. Still relatively young. But I don't think his game is that well put together and there's been question around how hard this guy works to improve/get better.

I feel like he's just another younger version of DHB which is fine, but I kinda think of him as another body at WR.

Some of his best performances seem to have come against the Steelers so maybe that's why we liked him?

Steel Maniac
03-14-2019, 10:31 AM
I kinda feel like we're taking a chance on the Artie Burns of receivers. Great athlete. Still relatively young. But I don't think his game is that well put together and there's been question around how hard this guy works to improve/get better.

I feel like he's just another younger version of DHB which is fine, but I kinda think of him as another body at WR.

Some of his best performances seem to have come against the Steelers so maybe that's why we liked him?

Nooo Flippy. I"ve watched this kid (no insult intended) and he's really good. He's had some games where he's been close to dominant; and then the next he's MIA. He has the skill set dude. I think that Ben will bring out not only the best in him but also consistency too.

Go back and look at the games he had with Indy. The guy has the skills to pay the bills. If he stays healthy, h'es going to surprise a lot of people.

Oviedo
03-14-2019, 10:41 AM
Good player who fills a need. Now no need to reach in the draft

Another good solid move by the organization while others spend like drunken sailors

steelz09
03-14-2019, 10:43 AM

I'd rather not give anything up and if Mack Wilson is the only one left the so be it.

I don't see White or Bush being so much better than Mack that it's worth giving up a lot of draft capital.

SidSmythe
03-14-2019, 10:46 AM
QUIZ:
Donte Moncrief helped virtually end what Steeler CB's career???

Oviedo
03-14-2019, 10:46 AM
I'd rather not give anything up and if Mack Wilson is the only one left the so be it.

100% agree.

SidSmythe
03-14-2019, 10:48 AM
Mini Mock Draft:

1 of first 4 picks = TE
3 of first 4 picks = Defense

SteelBucks
03-14-2019, 10:51 AM

I have to read up on Wilson before having an opinion. What I don’t want is another bandaid for a problem that has existed since Shazier got injured.

Mick'sTeam
03-14-2019, 10:59 AM
Mini Mock Draft:

1 of first 4 picks = TE

I hope the first 2 picks are ILB. We've got nothing there right now.

Ernie
03-14-2019, 10:59 AM
Mini Mock Draft:

1 of first 4 picks = TE

This is good... and hopefully the next pick (4th round) is a RB...and a WR with the following pick

Ernie
03-14-2019, 11:00 AM
I hope the first 2 picks are ILB. We've got nothing there right now.

Man I like Tranquil from ND if he is there in the 4th. That kid is a football player!

Steel Maniac
03-14-2019, 11:05 AM
I have to read up on Wilson before having an opinion. What I don’t want is another bandaid for a problem that has existed since Shazier got injured.

True..............

SidSmythe
03-14-2019, 12:14 PM
This is good... and hopefully the next pick (4th round) is a RB...and a WR with the following pick

WIth the Success of Georgia RBs I'd be for getting Holyfield - not much wear and tear on him and if he's available in the 4th i'd be ok with taking him

Jigawatts
03-14-2019, 12:54 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger immediately took to his local radio show to bash Moncrief's combine 40 time.

Donnieboy
03-14-2019, 01:05 PM
I like this signing. Just a couple of corrections. Moncrief ran a 4.35 in his second attempt at his combine and he was listed at 6 ft 2 3/8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy-lJpHo-Fo

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-14-2019, 01:53 PM
QUIZ:
Donte Moncrief helped virtually end what Steeler CB's career???

I'll go with Cortez Allen.

I took my son to his first game in Pittsburgh in 2013. Ben went off for over 500 yards and 6 TDs. The main reason he needed to keep throwing the ball was because Allen kept blowing coverage. The thing with that guy is that he was rarely beat on the route, he was just unable to make a play on the ball in the air. Either he mistimed a jump or committed pass interference, but he was usually right there.

Iron City Inc.
03-14-2019, 02:17 PM

Well if we didn't draft a wr early, and there are a bunch of very solid early rounders ,this draft does offer some nice value later. Mid round wr's who could be on the radar McLaurin OSU or Hardman ( both burners with special team skills) n perhaps later on day 3 a guy like Jennings who checks a bunch of boxes size speed good enough hands n change of direction that he could be nice value.
IMHO draft sets up well for us in that there is a bunch of early talent at LB and CB and DL and later some excellent value at rb ( see Mike Weber) and obviously wr.

SidSmythe
03-14-2019, 03:26 PM
I'll go with Cortez Allen.

I took my son to his first game in Pittsburgh in 2013. Ben went off for over 500 yards and 6 TDs. The main reason he needed to keep throwing the ball was because Allen kept blowing coverage. The thing with that guy is that he was rarely beat on the route, he was just unable to make a play on the ball in the air. Either he mistimed a jump or committed pass interference, but he was usually right there.

Yep . . . . He was always in good position but couldn't make a play on the ball.
kinda like me playing video games.....I know where I need to be but my fingers don't allow it

RuthlessBurgher
03-14-2019, 03:34 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

New Steelers WR Donte Moncrief said Ben Roethlisberger reached out to him after he agreed to terms with the team, eager to get to work.

8m

https://primary-cdn-shortstop.espn.net/4f16606c-e1fc-4f34-8fcf-49f88c3881e1.jpeg

pittpete
03-14-2019, 03:35 PM
Good player who fills a need. Now no need to reach in the draft

Another good solid move by the organization while others spend like drunken sailors

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Oviedo
03-14-2019, 03:56 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

New Steelers WR Donte Moncrief said Ben Roethlisberger reached out to him after he agreed to terms with the team, eager to get to work.

8m

https://primary-cdn-shortstop.espn.net/4f16606c-e1fc-4f34-8fcf-49f88c3881e1.jpeg

However, let's not forget that this organization is in chaos, there is no leadership, Ben is a troublemaker, etc, etc. I'm sure Moncrief will want to be traded next week.

By the way...this dude looks like RB or Safety. Seems pretty jacked.

Steel Maniac
03-14-2019, 03:57 PM
Hey, he just got here and he's already got that nifty Steelers shirt?

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&ei=TbKKXOT3O5Wv0PEP79en8Aw&q=donte+moncrief+press+conference&oq=donte+moncrief+press&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.33i160.1464.12718..14958...5.0..0.98.1541.2 4......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..35i39j0j0i131j0i3j0i10j0i22i10i30j0i324 j0i22i30.YoELcWdXPGY

Oviedo
03-14-2019, 03:59 PM
Hey, he just got here and he's already got that nifty Steelers shirt?

Pretty sure he didn't buy it at the airport

Steel Maniac
03-14-2019, 04:03 PM
In the pressur, he's constantly talking about how attractive it was because of Ben. And that he had friends here already.

But Ben was obviously the main selling point. So those who keep bashing Ben need to think about the intangibles that Ben brings. Like his being able to attract others.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/03/ben-roethlisberger-called-donte-moncrief-after-signing-like-a-terrible-leader-does/

AzStillers1989
03-14-2019, 05:00 PM
However, let's not forget that this organization is in chaos, there is no leadership, Ben is a troublemaker, etc, etc. I'm sure Moncrief will want to be traded next week.

I seriously love this narrative now that this AB and LB cloud is cleared. Let everyone doubt. I love it when we are counted out just to come to play knowing we can beat anyone anytime anywhere. I hope 2019 is the year we have been all waiting for since the 2008 campaign.

Ernie
03-14-2019, 05:02 PM
I seriously love this narrative now that this AB and LB cloud is cleared. Let everyone doubt. I love it when we are counted out just to come to play knowing we can beat anyone anytime anywhere. I hope 2019 is the year we have been all waiting for since the 2008 campaign.

amen brother. seems like a breath of fresh air.. and a newly found excitment the last few days!

KYPITTFAN
03-14-2019, 05:20 PM
Dang, should have waited. Jordy Nelson is now available.

KYPITTFAN
03-14-2019, 05:38 PM
If I'm picking, I go best RB available. We need quality depth. 2nd pick is linebacker. Next two picks is best down lineman that can get to the QB. Then I get best field goal kicker available. After that is best player on the board.

pittpete
03-14-2019, 05:56 PM

LOL, hope thats sarcasm bro;)

pittpete
03-14-2019, 05:57 PM
amen brother. seems like a breath of fresh air.. and a newly found excitment the last few days!

Speaking of fresh air, wheres fishboy been the last two days? LOL:p

NJ-STEELER
03-14-2019, 07:37 PM

not the same since he blew out his knee

AzStillers1989
03-14-2019, 07:46 PM
not the same since he blew out his knee

In a preseason game at Heinz coincidently.

steeler_george
03-14-2019, 08:56 PM
Cromwell was released by Jets would be perfect here.

steelerkeylargo
03-14-2019, 09:10 PM
Cromwell was released by Jets would be perfect here.

Who?????????

steeler_george
03-14-2019, 09:20 PM
crowell RB

steeler_george
03-14-2019, 09:22 PM
Has it been reported how much Moncreif's contract is worth ?

Ernie
03-14-2019, 09:27 PM
If I'm picking, I go best RB available. We need quality depth. 2nd pick is linebacker. Next two picks is best down lineman that can get to the QB. Then I get best field goal kicker available. After that is best player on the board.

i like the idea of going rb fairly early. we need a 1-B guy

Steel Maniac
03-15-2019, 08:31 AM
I think you guys are selling Samuels short. Remember, we had a poster in here who said last year at this time that Conner was only a backup. Period. Now Conner’s a pro bowl runningback. Let’s see Samuels now after he’s had a chance to be in our strength and conditioning program, drop a little weight, etc. etc.

I’m all for adding depth but to think we need a 1b runningback is a little premature.

Oh wow
03-15-2019, 09:44 AM
We need another RB. Conner started off hot but faded vs good defenses.

He averaged 53 yards a game the last 5 games. Not sure his style of running is good for a full season.

Steel Maniac
03-15-2019, 09:50 AM
We need another RB. Conner started off hot but faded vs good defenses.

I don't believe this to be true. The offensive Coordinator stopped running the ball. First and goal, at Denver's 2 yard line and Conner didn't get a carry. That's not Conner's fault. If Conner gets 20 attempts, he's fine IMO.

Ernie
03-15-2019, 09:50 AM
I think you guys are selling Samuels short. Remember, we had a poster in here who said last year at this time that Conner was only a backup. Period. Now Conner’s a pro bowl runningback. Let’s see Samuels now after he’s had a chance to be in our strength and conditioning program, drop a little weight, etc. etc.

I’m all for adding depth but to think we need a 1b runningback is a little premature.

im not selling Samuels short. In fact i see it is a compliment to him and his versatility if we draft another RB. He can play TE.. slot.. FB....TB.. i would expect to see him on the field in packages with Conner and/or our other RB.

if we pencil him in as our #2.. i believe it somewhat limits the other things he can be used for to creates mismatches

Steel Maniac
03-15-2019, 09:51 AM
im not selling Samuels short. In fact i see it is a compliment to him and his versatility if we draft another RB. He can play TE.. slot.. FB....TB.. i would expect to see him on the field in packages with Conner and/or our other RB.

if we pencil him in as our #2.. i believe it somewhat limits the other things he can be used for to creates mismatches

Okay...your trying to leave Samuels fresh and open to be able to do more things. Got it.

Ernie
03-15-2019, 09:51 AM
RB is one position in this draft that we can get an immediate impact player for cheap. We need to take advantage of that IMO

Ernie
03-15-2019, 09:52 AM
Okay...your trying to leave Samuels fresh and open to be able to more things. Got it.

absolutely. i love what he brings to the table. great value for a 5th round pick

Steel Maniac
03-15-2019, 09:59 AM
RB is one position in this draft that we can get an immediate impact player for cheap. We need to take advantage of that IMO

Yeah..but this RB class isn't that great is it? Then again, you really don't have to be for what we need from it.

Disco1981
03-15-2019, 10:10 AM
Yeah..but this RB class isn't that great is it? Then again, you really don't have to be for what we need from it.

I would like a Eric Pegram, more modern day, Tarik Cohen/ Darren Sproles type change of pace scatback type, to be our THIRD RB...

Those types are easier to pick up because teams our afraid to use those " smaller " types as backups...

But, We already have Samuels as our backup...So we may be able to get the best, or one of the best, of THESE TYPE of RB's...And even better....Can probably still get them with a later round pick

Ernie
03-15-2019, 10:38 AM

i saw several guys in that group that would be immediate plug and play guys. if miles sanders from Penn State is around in the mid rounds...would love to see us snatch him up

Steel Maniac
03-15-2019, 10:39 AM
i saw several guys in that group that would be immediate plug and play guys. if miles sanders from Penn State is around in the mid rounds...would love to see us snatch him up

Well, we got a ton of picks. Why not. :smile:

Ernie
03-15-2019, 10:46 AM
ill take mid round immediate plug and play guys on the cheap all day long... lol.... Denvers pro bowl rookie RB (Lindsay) from last year went undrafted. With our O-line.. theres no reason why i new star couldnt be born

Steel Maniac
03-15-2019, 11:01 AM
ill take mid round immediate plug and play guys on the cheap all day long... lol.... Denvers pro bowl rookie RB (Lindsay) from last year went undrafted. With our O-line.. theres no reason why i new star couldnt be born

True.....runningbacks, plug and play.

Northern_Blitz
03-15-2019, 11:07 AM

I think Samuels will be a good back.

He wasn't asked to do things like blocking in college because he had so many other responsibilities.

But it seemed like he did reasonably well on the whole when called upon last year.

I don't think we need to draft a bank early or sign one in UFA. We're looking for a 3rd string guy

Re: previous posts, is love to see a link given your track record for accurately presenting other people's opinions.

Mick'sTeam
03-15-2019, 11:38 AM
I would like a Eric Pegram, more modern day, Tarik Cohen/ Darren Sproles type change of pace scatback type, to be our THIRD RB...

Those types are easier to pick up because teams our afraid to use those " smaller " types as backups...

But, We already have Samuels as our backup...So we may be able to get the best, or one of the best, of THESE TYPE of RB's...And even better....Can probably still get them with a later round pick

Those types of players are not just difficult to find, but harder to project in the pros than some other positions. Dri Archer was supposed to be that guy and we all know how that turned out.

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2019, 11:40 AM
Re: previous posts, is love to see a link given your track record for accurately presenting other people's opinions.

I'm pretty certain that most folks here are already keenly aware of Maniac's tendencies in any debate to misrepresent someone's opinion and then proceed to argue against some random fantasy statement that no one ever actually made (and in spite of folks specifically explaining to him how he can go back and use the search function on this board, he's always refused to find any actual evidence to prove what was actually said). He's received more straw man jpegs recently that he might as well rename himself Scarecrow. The more he attempts to sully other posters' reputations by continuing to spout his hyperbolic nonsensical ramblings, the more he makes himself look foolish.

Northern_Blitz
03-15-2019, 11:55 AM
I'm pretty certain that most folks here are already keenly aware of Maniac's tendencies in any debate to misrepresent someone's opinion and then proceed to argue against some random fantasy statement that no one ever actually made (and in spite of folks specifically explaining to him how he can go back and use the search function on this board, he's always refused to find any actual evidence to prove what was actually said). He's received more straw man jpegs recently that he might as well rename himself Scarecrow. The more he attempts to sully other posters' reputations by continuing to spout his hyperbolic nonsensical ramblings, the more he makes himself look foolish.

I was thinking Straw Man-iac

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2019, 11:58 AM
I was thinking Straw Man-iac

Yeah, that's better.

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/53656141/if-i-only-had-a-brain.jpg

;)

steeler_george
03-15-2019, 11:58 AM
Does anyone have info on his contract cap hit?

Iron Shiek
03-15-2019, 12:01 PM
Yeah, that's better.

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/53656141/if-i-only-had-a-brain.jpg

;)

I thought Scarecrow was TomieSteel.

http://i36.tinypic.com/21a0gi1.gif

Northern_Blitz
03-15-2019, 12:22 PM

Well played.

Steel Maniac
03-15-2019, 03:26 PM

For the record..

I wasn't the only one who called Ruth out on what he said about Conner. So to say I"m the only one is as usual, a misrepresentation by Ruth.

Ruth, you've been running around the last few weeks constantly bringing up your Conner gaf over and over again. I haven't been thinking about it but you are constantly bringing it up. Why???

Because you got caught in making a bullcrap statement about him and I called you on it. So just like a scorned school girl your constantly following me around bringing it up. Then you try and discredit people who catch you in your mistakes. We all make mistakes; I've made mistakes and YOU'VE made mistakes. But at least I can own them. That's what grown men do.

Grow up Ruth; stop acting like a scorned little school girl and let it go. I have. It's not a big deal to me.

***** QUESTION FOR ALL THE POSTERS IN THIS ROOM.....

As long as you've known Ruth to be in this room, has he EVER admitted that he was wrong about ANYTHING???? I don't want you to answer me in a response; I want you to just think about that question to yourself. I already know the answer. That's why he's after me so much about something I quit frankly am not thinking about.

Your the one who looks foolish Ruth: You want to pretend to be "Mr. Perfect" ..nobody is perfect. Not me and certainly not you. :rolleyes:

Mic drop

Steel Maniac
03-15-2019, 03:27 PM
Go sit in the (ignore) corner

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2019, 04:04 PM
For the record..

I wasn't the only one who called Ruth out on what he said about Conner. So to say I"m the only one is as usual, a misrepresentation by Ruth.

Ruth, you've been running around the last few weeks constantly bringing up your Conner gaf over and over again. I haven't been thinking about it but you are constantly bringing it up. Why???

Because you got caught in making a bullcrap statement about him and I called you on it. So just like a scorned school girl your constantly following me around bringing it up. Then you try and discredit people who catch you in your mistakes. We all make mistakes; I've made mistakes and YOU'VE made mistakes. But at least I can own them. That's what grown men do.

Grow up Ruth; stop acting like a scorned little school girl and let it go. I have. It's not a big deal to me.

As long as you've known Ruth to be in this room, has he EVER admitted that he was wrong about ANYTHING???? I don't want you to answer me in a response; I want you to just think about that question to yourself. I already know the answer. That's why he's after me so much about something I quit frankly am not thinking about.

Your the one who looks foolish Ruth: You want to pretend to be "Mr. Perfect" ..nobody is perfect. Not me and certainly not you. :rolleyes:

Mic drop

I admitted EXACTLY what I said. Coming off Conner's rookie season, I was happy with what I saw in him as a runner, but I had reservations about whether or not that we could rely on him to be our true bellcow back if Bell did not report to the team last year. Those concerns were based on the lack of evidence from his rookie year to show that he could adequately perform as a blocker in pass protection, and if he could be an effective weapon catching the ball out of the backfield. That's WHAT I SAID.

YOU TWISTED IT, saying that I was proclaiming that Conner would never be more than a back RB in this league (NEVER SAID THAT) and labeled me a Conner hater forever and ever. I didn't think that the kid was ready for the full load of a true bellcow back coming into year 2 in the league. The evidence of his play on the field last year showed that I was wrong about that. Of course I admit that. But I'm not going to admit that I ever said that Conner would only ever be a backup RB in this league or that I am a charter member of the Conner Haters Club, because those are fantasies created in your own mind.

You probably won't read this if you are putting me on ignore again, but since you never seem to acknowledge what I actually say and just make up your own story anyway, I guess this doesn't matter. Oh well.

Northern_Blitz
03-15-2019, 04:06 PM
For the record..

Mic drop

I missed the part when you owned the mistake of misrepresenting what I said.

Oh wow
03-15-2019, 04:49 PM
I don't believe this to be true. The offensive Coordinator stopped running the ball. First and goal, at Denver's 2 yard line and Conner didn't get a carry. That's not Conner's fault. If Conner gets 20 attempts, he's fine IMO.

Not to get all technical but we actually ran on second down for 1 yard on that last series.

I missed the second half due to a road trip but I watched the game replay on the ticket.

hawaiiansteel
03-15-2019, 05:04 PM
Not to get all technical but we actually ran on second down for 1 yard on that last series.

I missed the second half due to a road trip but I watched the game replay on the ticket.

you're right, I know this to be true because I had Conner starting on my fantasy football team and was screaming my brains out for him to score a TD on that series.

Northern_Blitz
03-15-2019, 05:07 PM

The game center link for this game is here:

https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2018112509/2018/REG12/steelers@broncos?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr

You can see on the Steelers last drive:

Pass Incomplete
(1:57) (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete short right to J.Smith-Schuster.
1st & Goal at DEN 3

1 Yard Run
(1:53) (Shotgun) J.Conner left tackle to DEN 2 for 1 yard (T.Davis; S.Harris).
2nd & Goal at DEN 3

Interception
(1:07) (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass short middle intended for A.Brown INTERCEPTED by S.Harris at DEN 0. Touchback.
3rd & Goal at DEN 2

That being said, I agree with Maniac think we need another RB either. Or at least if we get someone, it doesn't need to be a high caliber guy. A mid to late round pick is probably fine IMO

The Man of Steel
03-15-2019, 05:18 PM

Damn. I don’t think I’ve seen that pic since the old Post-Gazette days. Smartmonies seems to be the most memorable of the bunch.

hawaiiansteel
03-15-2019, 05:25 PM
Damn. I don’t think I’ve seen that pic since the old Post-Gazette days. Smartmonies seems to be the most memorable of the bunch.

HHH is still alive and kicking on another board, trolling and saying the most racial and ridiculous things possible.

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2019, 05:59 PM
Thursday, Mar 14, 2019 04:26 PM

Moncrief: 'That was exciting'

Teresa Varley
STEELERS.COM

Donte Moncrief was undoubtedly happy on Thursday when he signed his two-year contract to become the Steelers newest wide receiver.

But there might not have been anyone happier with Moncrief’s new team than his father, Spencer Moncrief. The elder Moncrief has always been a Steelers fan, and now he can root for his son, and his son’s team all at the same time.

“My dad is happy. He is super happy,” said Moncrief. “All he talks about is the Steelers. Even when I was in Indy and we played the Steelers, he said he would still root for me, but he was going for the Steelers to win.

“I am a Steeler now. Now we can get on the same boat.

“He’s always been a Steelers fan. He liked Hines Ward and Jerome Bettis and all those guys. It’s crazy. Four weeks before I even signed he told me I was coming. When I got the call and they told me it was Pittsburgh, I knew he was going to be like, I told you so.”

Moncrief played for the Jacksonville Jaguars last season, where he caught 48 passes for 668 yards and three touchdowns while starting 14 of the 16 games he played in.

Moncrief was originally drafted by the Indianapolis Colts in the third round of the 2014 NFL Draft, the 90th pick overall. He spent four seasons with the Colts, before signing a one-year deal with the Jaguars last year.

With the Steelers he said he expects to play all of the positions and is willing to do whatever is asked of him.

“I’m going to play pretty much all the positions,” said Moncrief. “Come in and do whatever it takes…X, Z, F, whatever they want to put me at. Just come out and make plays and gain trust from Ben (Roethlisberger). Wherever they use me, they’ll put me, and I’ll learn the offense quick and everything will go from there.”

Moncrief isn’t worried about the talk that he is the one who was signed because Antonio Brown was traded. Instead he is just focusing on being himself.

“I’d just say Donte is going to be Donte,” said Moncrief. “AB, like anybody knows, is one of the best or is the best to ever play this game, and you can’t try to be what he was, you can only be what you are. I’m going to come in and play the role that I can play and make the plays that I can make and do what it takes to make this team better.”

He brings to the receiver group experience, and he had to laugh when he realized, going into his sixth season, that he is the most experienced player in the Steelers receiver room.

“It’s kind of weird,” said Moncrief, who is 25-years old. “I have to be the mentor guy, the guy who can push guys and make sure guys do things right. Like coach said already, it’s a great room. You have guys like JuJu Smith-Schuster who is doing things a lot of young guys can’t do. You have a lot of other guys who are hard-working young guys who are going to push me and motivate me and make me go fast every day. It’s going to be a fun room, a fun time. I am ready to get with those guys and show them what I can do.”

When it comes to experience, though, he knows he will be playing with one of the NFL’s most experienced and talented quarterbacks in Roethlisberger and he can’t wait for the opportunity to get on the field with him.

“I’m looking forward to playing with Ben, a Hall of Fame guy,” said Moncrief. “Get a chance to play some years with him and catch a lot of balls. Having a quarterback like Ben, it’s always been a dream to play with a guy like that and come to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

“I talked to Ben earlier. He texted me. He called first. I couldn’t answer. I was in the doctor’s office. Then he texted me. That was exciting getting a message from Ben Roethlisberger, the quarterback. He said he is ready to get going, get some chemistry going and lock in on the plays and get ready. He was telling me he is ready to get going, ready to make some plays, get some throws in and meet up in the offseason and get some chemistry going, get some chemistry going early so it rolls over into the season.”

Oh wow
03-15-2019, 06:29 PM
Go sit in the (ignore) corner
Lmao. You are still doing this when someone disagrees with you?

Oh wow.

RuthlessBurgher
03-15-2019, 06:32 PM
Lmao. You are still doing this when someone disagrees with you?

Oh wow.

Did you just sign your post at the end like Pappy does, or are you just exclaiming, "Oh wow."? ;)

Buzz
03-16-2019, 06:51 PM
Feed Moncrief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siLL0eHuj4k

hawaiiansteel
03-16-2019, 11:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGvkYsWzQ0g

SidSmythe
03-17-2019, 12:04 AM
Nice video - all he needs to do is catch 75 balls and help JuJu and JW get open and he's my hero

RobinCole
03-17-2019, 07:25 AM
Nice video indeed. He knows how to catch; he knows what to do after the catch and he has some speed. Don’t be crownin’ the Browns just yet.

SidSmythe
03-17-2019, 10:36 AM
Nice video indeed. He knows how to catch; he knows what to do after the catch and he has some speed. Don’t be crownin’ the Browns just yet.

I've crowned them with turds ...... that's it.

I'm excited he caught 44 balls in Jax last yr. Shouldn't be out if thE question to catch 1.5 times that while JW gets 40-50.

I have no problem replacing BROWN'S numbers with 2 guys and CONNOR getting 1500 yards.

Speaking of BROWN ... I've crowned him w turds also

RobinCole
03-17-2019, 10:43 AM
I didn’t mean to suggest that you personally were crowning the Browns. It was a caution to those who are. You and I are on the same page.

Ernie
03-17-2019, 11:17 AM
I didn’t mean to suggest that you personally were crowning the Browns. It was a caution to those who are. You and I are on the same page.

Browns should have a hell of a squad. With that being said, I look at it as an opportunity for us to get motivated during training camp... knowing we've got a battle on our hands come season opener..

would be nice to start fast out of the gates for once.

Northern_Blitz
03-17-2019, 12:42 PM
I've crowned them with turds ...... that's it.

I'm excited he caught 44 balls in Jax last yr. Shouldn't be out if thE question to catch 1.5 times that while JW gets 40-50.

I have no problem replacing BROWN'S numbers with 2 guys and CONNOR getting 1500 yards.

Speaking of BROWN ... I've crowned him w turds also

Hope Vance can stay mostly healthy again. Maybe w can use him more to help replace ABs catches.

SidSmythe
03-17-2019, 01:08 PM
Hope Vance can stay mostly healthy again. Maybe w can use him more to help replace ABs catches.

V McD is a good TE .... however not dependable health wise.
Using a 2nd day pick at TE is a must but you can't depend on that pick to make a splash either.

I think McD's health will be a make or break factor in the offense this yr.

Ernie
03-17-2019, 02:18 PM
Using a 2nd day pick at TE is a must but you can't depend on that pick to make a splash either.

Id agree with that. McDonald is going to be a key to our success this year on offense.

Oviedo
03-17-2019, 03:01 PM

That is why we need to go after Hockensen or Fant

SteelBucks
03-17-2019, 03:48 PM
That is why we need to go after Hockensen or Fant

They may go that route if they stay at pick 20. However, I’m hoping they fill the glaring need at ILB in round 1 by trading up.

Steel Maniac
03-17-2019, 06:13 PM
They may go that route if they stay at pick 20. However, I’m hoping they fill the glaring need at ILB in round 1 by trading up.

me too. TE can be addressed later.

Ernie
03-17-2019, 08:06 PM
me too. TE can be addressed later.

Will be interesting to see if the Barron signing changes our draft philosophy.

steelz09
03-17-2019, 08:55 PM
Will be interesting to see if the Barron signing changes our draft philosophy.

I would rather see a defensive pick but if there's one offensive pick I'd be ok with on the 1st, it would be TE.

I would love to see a young Heath on the team .... And that's not a knock on McDonald.

Flasteel
03-17-2019, 10:48 PM

As the creator of that GIF, I take great pride in its longevity and nostalgic qualities. Smartmonies...AKA Dumb Bunnies...AKA MSM...AKA Douche Wydo was memorable for all of the wrong reasons. A charter member of the douchebaggery hall of fame.

hawaiiansteel
03-17-2019, 11:00 PM
As the creator of that GIF, I take great pride in its longevity and nostalgic qualities.

as well you should! :Cheers

Captain Lemming
03-18-2019, 12:16 AM
As the creator of that GIF, I take great pride in its longevity and nostalgic qualities.

Lots of candidates on hand for a brand new "League of Doom." :)

Might I suggest this frequent foe of the "Captain Lemming" comic series:

https://resizing.flixster.com/eksCeIXGfbjsQV2YNkh_Ia3k5kg=/1080x1080/v1.bjs5NzY1NDM7ajsxODAxMTsxMjAwOzEwODA7MTA4MA

Ernie
03-18-2019, 04:46 AM
I would rather see a defensive pick but if there's one offensive pick I'd be ok with on the 1st, it would be TE.

I would love to see a young Heath on the team .... And that's not a knock on McDonald.

I agree. We need depth at TE. Maybe that guy is Jace Sternberger in the 3rd?

Steel Maniac
03-18-2019, 10:20 AM

He's a guy who I've had my eye on.

RuthlessBurgher
03-18-2019, 10:54 AM

Jace Sternberger

Texas A&M
TE

Prospect Info

College
Texas A&M

Hometown
Kingfisher, Okla.

Class
r-Junior

Height 6' 4"
Weight 251 lbs
Arms 32 1/8”
Hands 9 3/4”

Prospect Grade

Combine Results

40 Yard Dash
4.75 Seconds

Bench Press
17 Reps

Vertical Jump
31.5 INCHES

Broad Jump
113.0 INCHES

3 Cone Drill
7.19 Seconds

20 Yd Shuttle
4.31 Seconds

60 Yd Shuttle
12.09 Seconds

Player Bio

Jace is the son of two athletes, his father a football player at Southeastern Oklahoma and his mother a two-time All-American basketball player at the same school. He signed with Kansas out of high school, but only caught one pass for five yards as a redshirt freshman in 2016. Wishing to make more of an impact, he transferred to Northeastern Oklahoma A&M where he got his chance to contribute (21 catches, 336 yards, 16.0 average, six touchdowns). FBS coaches lined up to recruit him after that performance, and he decided to roll with new A&M Head Coach Jimbo Fisher. That turned out to be the correct choice, as Sternberger became a consensus All-American, first-team All-SEC recipient, and the Aggies' Offensive MVP by setting team highs with 48 receptions, 832 yards, and 10 touchdowns in 13 games (12 starts).

By Lance Zierlein

NFL Analyst

NFL Comparison
Jacob Tamme

Overview

Despite his experience in-line and willingness to block in Jimbo Fisher's offense, he has neither the size nor strength to handle those duties as a pro. Sternberger is athletic with above-average ball skills, catch radius and route breaks that help him undercover on the second and third level. His paychecks will be tied to his pass-catching so he'll need to play stronger through route contact and with better focus when contested. He has eventual starter potential as a move tight-end who can function as a big WR3/4 from the slot.

Strengths

•Talented route-runner with no wasted steps
•Maintains pressure with good route speed
•Sets off-man coverage up before accelerating past
•Excellent hand-eye for smooth grabs on the run without breaking stride
•Runs his routes like a big receiver
•Keeps the same energy in and out of breaks
•Slick outside-in breaks to cross-face coverage
•Above-average hands
•Plus in-air adjustments and grab radius
•Athleticism and route savvy could create matchup issues
•Runs with vision after the catch
•Able to be shuffled around the field with various groupings

Weaknesses

•Slightly undersized
•Run blocking isn't where it needs to be
•Gets caved into the run lane by edge strength
•Initial block engagement lacks necessary leverage
•Allows backside leakage due poor angles
•Needs longer sustain as blocker in space
•Route bullies throw his timing and focus off
•Inconsistent finishing catches through contact
•Can improve body positioning to protect catch space

Sources Tell Us

"You wish he was a little bit faster but he makes up for it with his routes. You feed him, get him stronger and you'll have an NFL starter who gets you 50 to 60 catches a year." -- AFC tight ends coach

Northern_Blitz
03-18-2019, 01:37 PM
Lots of candidates on hand for a brand new "League of Doom." :)

Might I suggest this frequent foe of the "Captain Lemming" comic series:

https://resizing.flixster.com/eksCeIXGfbjsQV2YNkh_Ia3k5kg=/1080x1080/v1.bjs5NzY1NDM7ajsxODAxMTsxMjAwOzEwODA7MTA4MA

It should probably also be known as the "Legion of Boom(ing yourself)" or something.

RuthlessBurgher
03-19-2019, 11:22 AM
Contract details finally released:

Donte Moncrief signed a two year, $9 million contract with the Steelers on March 15, 2019. Moncrief received a $3.5 million signing bonus. He will earn a $500,000 roster bonus if on the roster on the 3rd day of the 2020 league year.

https://overthecap.com/player/donte-moncrief/3029/

Base salaries of $1.5M this year and $3.5M next year (plus $500K roster bonus due in 3/20).

Looks like his cap hits will be $3.25M in 2019 and $5.75M in 2020.

If we cut him after this season, we'd save $4M against the cap next year, although he would count for $1.75M of dead money on our 2020 salary cap.

Ernie
03-19-2019, 04:58 PM
wow... what a steal for a legit #2 WR! We got Barron, Moncrief, and Nelson all for less than what we would have paid AB this year.

Oviedo
03-20-2019, 10:29 AM

With McDonald's injury history we need more than depth. We need the next star

phillyesq
03-20-2019, 12:45 PM
This is a solid deal for Moncrief. If he plays like a legit #2 WR, the Steelers can keep him next year, too. If not, they can move on without crippling the cap.

Steel Maniac
03-22-2019, 04:31 PM
I'm confident enough to have Moncrief on my fantasy team. I really think he shines with Ben throwing him the ball. And he could be my 3rd/4th WR easy. But could give me 2nd WR value.

Captain Lemming
03-22-2019, 10:28 PM
I'm confident enough to have Moncrief on my fantasy team. I really think he shines with Ben throwing him the ball. And he could be my 3rd/4th WR easy. But could give me 2nd WR value.

You've had a fantasy league draft before the real draft?

Steel Maniac
03-22-2019, 10:57 PM
Kinda sorta...if he’s going to be the starter opposite juju. :D

hawaiiansteel
03-23-2019, 01:13 AM

all depends on the development of James Washington.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/18/steelers-wr-james-washington-poised-for-breakout-season-in-2019/

Captain Lemming
03-23-2019, 01:18 AM

My best fantasy pick ever was like that.
Totally unproven "homer" pick just cause he was a Steeler.

Barry Foster, his Steeler record breaking season-1690 yards, 11 TDs. Fantasy BEAST of a steal that year.

Dude never had even 900 yards in any other season in his 5 year career. :)

Steel Maniac
03-23-2019, 01:20 AM
all depends on the development of James Washington.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/18/steelers-wr-james-washington-poised-for-breakout-season-in-2019/

Did you see what Moncrief signed for? I think he’ll get first crack and I think he’ll hold on to that starting spot. Just a hunch.

hawaiiansteel
03-23-2019, 01:26 AM
Did you see what Moncrief signed for? I think he’ll get first crack and I think he’ll hold on to that starting spot. Just a hunch.

proof will be whether or not the Steelers spend a Day 1 or 2 pick on a WR...

Captain Lemming
03-23-2019, 01:34 AM

I think best case scenario is for Washington to win the job.
Moncrief is a known quantity, a quality number 2.
If Washington wins the job it will be because he has made HUGE strides forward to supplant the veteran.

Northern_Blitz
03-23-2019, 05:41 AM
My best fantasy pick ever was like that.
Totally unproven "homer" pick just cause he was a Steeler.

Barry Foster, his Steeler record breaking season-1690 yards, 11 TDs. Fantasy BEAST of a steal that year.

Dude never had even 900 yards in any other season in his 5 year career. :)

That's bad ass. Were you guys keeping scores on pen and paper? I remember reading about fantasy football in a magazine in the mid 90s. [Magazines are like short paperback books that would come out on a schedule...is what I'd have to say if I was telling this story to one of my classes].

I remember thinking it would be cool if it weren't for the pain in the ass of combing through the box scores in the newspaper [like a magazine, but on crappy paper and usually comes out daily] for your guy's production.

Captain Lemming
03-23-2019, 10:02 AM
That's bad ass. Were you guys keeping scores on pen and paper? I remember reading about fantasy football in a magazine in the mid 90s. [Magazines are like short paperback books that would come out on a schedule...is what I'd have to say if I was telling this story to one of my classes].

I remember thinking it would be cool if it weren't for the pain in the ass of combing through the box scores in the newspaper [like a magazine, but on crappy paper and usually comes out daily] for your guy's production.

Yup, we had nowhere near the tools that exist today.
But our point system was very simple.

Nowhere near as popular either.
Ironically, I haven't even played ff in this current era.
Last time was like 20 years ago.

Using computerized tools not just to keep score but advice to build teams, "level the playing field" too much for my taste.

I also hate having to hope guys playing the Steelers had big games while hoping the Steelers win the game at the same time.

Steel Maniac
03-23-2019, 10:55 AM
I think best case scenario is for Washington to win the job.
Moncrief is a known quantity, a quality number 2.
If Washington wins the job it will be because he has made HUGE strides forward to supplant the veteran.

Best case for who?

Steel Maniac
03-23-2019, 10:56 AM
proof will be whether or not the Steelers spend a Day 1 or 2 pick on a WR...

Wouldn’t the drafting of a Wr in day 1 or 2 be an indictment against Washington more so than Moncrief?

Captain Lemming
03-23-2019, 11:05 AM
Best case for who?

The team.
We know what Moncrief is. A solid number 2.
If Washington beats him out......it means he is REALLY GOOD.
If Washington cannot beat him out.....likely he was overdrafted. Bad news for the team overall.

Therefore, I "hope" Washington wins not because I "think" he is better.
I honestly dont know and am thus far disappointed.

I hope he wins because it would "indicate" he is better and may well live up to the lofty expectation of colleges top receiver.

Steel Maniac
03-23-2019, 11:07 AM
The team.
We know what Moncrief is. A solid number 2.
If Washington beats him out......it means he is REALLY GOOD.
If Washington cannot beat him out.....likely he was overdrafted

Oh.. okay.. I wasn’t sure where you were going. I’m in total agreement with you on that.

Northern_Blitz
03-23-2019, 12:55 PM
Best case for who?

The Steelers. I'm with Lemming on this one.

We'll have cost control over Washington for a while. I think it's best for the medium to long term if the young cheap guy plays better than the older more expensive guy.

Even if the competition is close, it will be good to have 3 WRs that are all reasonably good.

Ernie
03-23-2019, 08:42 PM
dont panic boys.. lets give washington another year before rushing to judgement.

hawaiiansteel
03-23-2019, 11:46 PM
Wouldn’t the drafting of a Wr in day 1 or 2 be an indictment against Washington more so than Moncrief?

not if we drafted a slot WR like Andy Isabella...

hawaiiansteel
03-31-2019, 03:17 PM
Donte Moncrief should flourish with Ben Roethlisberger throwing him the ball

By: Curt Popejoy | March 30, 2019

When you look at statistics it is easy to take the numbers at face value and make judgments about the player. This was the case by many Pittsburgh Steelers when they checked out the numbers for wide receiver Donte Moncrief after he was signed by the Steelers this offseason.

It was easy to look at 26 receptions in 2017 and 48 receptions and 2018 and wonder if Moncrief was already on the downside of his potential. But thanks to Pro Football Focus we get some context about those numbers. There are few positions in the NFL as dependant on their teammates as wide receiver. And as you can see by the info below, the last two season have been a nightmare for Moncrief and the quarterback position.

Even going back to 2014-2016 a case could be made the lack of balance on the Indianapolis Colts didn’t help Moncrief but actually hurt him. This season he has a chance to be a starter on the best offense he’s ever played on. If he can show Ben Roethlisberger he can be dependable, you can bet Big Ben will feed him the football.

In addition, Moncrief should draw the best coverage of his career with Pittsburgh. Between JuJu Smith-Schuster drawing double teams and the threat of James Conner as a runner, Moncrief has a chance to easily top the 64 receptions and 733 receiving yards he had in 2015.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/30/donte-moncrief-should-flourish-with-ben-roethlisberger-throwing-him-the-ball/

Steel Maniac
03-31-2019, 03:20 PM
not if we drafted a slot WR like Andy Isabella...

Really? You think so?

hawaiiansteel
03-31-2019, 04:06 PM
Really? You think so?

it can be successfully argued either way.

bottom line is we lost one of the top WRs in the NFL and we have yet to re-sign Heyward-Bey or Justin Hunter. if a WR is the BPA available on Day 1 or 2 of the draft then we should draft him as competition is a good thing and we do need some depth at the position.

Steel Maniac
03-31-2019, 06:15 PM
it can be successfully argued either way.

bottom line is we lost one of the top WRs in the NFL and we have yet to re-sign Heyward-Bey or Justin Hunter. if a WR is the BPA available on Day 1 or 2 of the draft then we should draft him as competition is a good thing and we do need some depth at the position.

Hunter or Bey can get resigned at a whim obviously. I think we've already replaced Brown adequately with Moncrief. But in a deep WR class like this, I think we will take one later in the draft. I can't see us using that high a pick on essentially a slot guy.

hawaiiansteel
03-31-2019, 06:25 PM
in a deep WR class like this, I think we will take one later in the draft. I can't see us using that high a pick on essentially a slot guy.

so far we have brought in Miles Boykin and Andy Isabella for pre-draft visits, both are projected to be late Day 2 early Day 3 guys.

http://www.draftscout.com/players.php?GenPos=WR&DraftYear=2019&sortorder=TSX Pos&order=ASC

RuthlessBurgher
03-31-2019, 06:58 PM
Hunter or Bey can get resigned at a whim obviously. I think we've already replaced Brown adequately with Moncrief. But in a deep WR class like this, I think we will take one later in the draft. I can't see us using that high a pick on essentially a slot guy.

Replaced Brown adequately with Moncrief? Moncrief's best year is less than half of Brown's best year in terms of catches, yards, and TD's. Brown cannot be adequately replaced by any one guy. It's a team effort, and Ben with spread the ball around more. Moncrief is one small part in that. I know fans want defense, defense, defense, but I'd expect us to add both a WR and a TE within our first 5 picks in this draft.

Chadman
03-31-2019, 07:42 PM
Chadman’s Take on WR:

Moncrief will play a mix of Z & X WR. He’s not a true X type. Neither is JuJu who is more a mix of Z and Big Slot. Then there is Switzer and Rogers- both genuine slot guys. Washington played a bit of X in college, but might fit better as a Z/X like Moncrief. There is no true X in the group. Hakeem Butler, Myles Boykin and Kelvin Harmon are true X WR’s and would give the group a good rounded look. It’s not about giving up on Washington as it is about putting a diverse group together.

hawaiiansteel
03-31-2019, 11:02 PM
Chadman’s Take on WR:

Moncrief will play a mix of Z & X WR. He’s not a true X type. Neither is JuJu who is more a mix of Z and Big Slot. Then there is Switzer and Rogers- both genuine slot guys. Washington played a bit of X in college, but might fit better as a Z/X like Moncrief. There is no true X in the group. Hakeem Butler, Myles Boykin and Kelvin Harmon are true X WR’s and would give the group a good rounded look. It’s not about giving up on Washington as it is about putting a diverse group together.

great analysis Chadman!

the Steelers have had Miles Boykin in for a pre-draft visit, I would love to see us select him.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000001020375/Miles-Boykin-s-2019-NFL-Scouting-Combine-workout

Chadman
04-01-2019, 01:49 AM
The last true X WR’s the Steelers had were Bryant and Wallace. Both gave Ben a legitimate deep threat type player, although neither were what used to be termed #1 guys.

If you don’t think the Steelers are better off with an X on the team- despite the numbers last year being extraordinarily high in passing, Ben was often criticised for forcing throws into coverage. Bryant used to open the field up, once he was removed, regardless of how good AB and JuJu are, the field condensed and Ben had to force passes more. A genuine X will make the passing game infinitely more dangerous

Ernie
04-01-2019, 06:52 AM
Replaced Brown adequately with Moncrief? Moncrief's best year is less than half of Brown's best year in terms of catches, yards, and TD's. Brown cannot be adequately replaced by any one guy. It's a team effort, and Ben with spread the ball around more. Moncrief is one small part in that. I know fans want defense, defense, defense, but I'd expect us to add both a WR and a TE within our first 5 picks in this draft.

It is a team effort... you are right. Let's see how much better this team can be when we are not targeting one guy 15 times a game "AB". I'm also curious to see how good Moncrief can be when he's got a real QB throwing to him. Nobody's saying he's "AB" so to speak... but i'll bet he's a solid #2... and that is "Adequate" in terms of the "Team effort" we will need to make a run in the post season.

Steel Maniac
04-01-2019, 08:05 AM
so far we have brought in Miles Boykin and Andy Isabella for pre-draft visits, both are projected to be late Day 2 early Day 3 guys.

http://www.draftscout.com/players.php?GenPos=WR&DraftYear=2019&sortorder=TSX Pos&order=ASC

Boykin isn’t a slot guy. Boykin has the physical make up similar to Galloday of the Lions. Isabella is a slot guy.

Steel Maniac
04-01-2019, 08:10 AM
Chadman’s Take on WR:

Hmm.. I see what your saying. I’m not sure weather I agree with that or not. But I do think Moncreif( if he stays healthy) is better then what most think with Ben throwing to him. But for what we need going forward from our WR’s, I don’t think we actually have to have an AB type of WR. I’m thinking we will be running a much more balanced , dominate time of possession type of offense.

Steel Maniac
04-01-2019, 08:13 AM
great analysis Chadman!

the Steelers have had Miles Boykin in for a pre-draft visit, I would love to see us select him.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000001020375/Miles-Boykin-s-2019-NFL-Scouting-Combine-workout

I read that Boykin is a bit of a project ? Is that accurate? If we take him, I hope he pans out.

RuthlessBurgher
04-01-2019, 10:18 AM
I read that Boykin is a bit of a project ? Is that accurate? If we take him, I hope he pans out.

Miles Boykin
Notre Dame
WR
Tinley Park, IL
Senior

6' 4"
220 lbs

Arms
33 1/2”

Hands
9 7/8”

Prospect Grade

Combine Results

40 Yard Dash
4.42 Seconds

Bench Press
12 Reps

Vertical Jump
43.5 INCHES

Broad Jump
140.0 INCHES

3 Cone Drill
6.77 Seconds

20 Yd Shuttle
4.07 Seconds

Player Bio

Boykin grew up in Tinley Park, winning the state Player of the Year award as a senior (65-1,035-15.9, 19 TD) despite missing three games due to injury. He played on the scout team in 2015 before suiting up with the varsity the following year, making six catches for 81 yards (13.5) and a score in 12 games. His sophomore season was, for the most part, uneventful. Boykin did show up in a big way in the team's Citrus Bowl comeback win over LSU, winning MVP honors with three receptions for 102 yards, including a one-handed 55-yard touchdown that sealed the deal. He was the Irish's leading receiver as junior, compiling 59 receptions for 872 yards (14.8 average) and eight touchdowns. His brother, George, had to give up football in high school after he suffered a head injury. Miles changed his jersey number to 81 in high school to honor George.

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst

NFL Comparison
Kenny Golladay

Overview
Lingering on his tape can cause excessive focus on his inconsistencies and areas of improvement, but projecting his traits with additional coaching makes more sense. Boykin's size, length and athleticism offers exciting potential as an outside receiver with mismatch potential, but he will have to learn how to counter press, improve his routes and become more competitive when the ball is in the air. His size won't matter if he doesn't learn to impose it on others. If that happens, he'll become an eventual starter with a high ceiling.

Strengths
•Rare size and length
•Loose hips with long, strides to get on top of cornerbacks quickly
•Athleticism and body control to pivot and twist for back shoulder catches
•Adequate sink to drop, anchor and present
•Meets throws with good arm extension away from his body
•Size causes cornerbacks to panic and interfere downfield
•High-point will be highest on the field
•Tape full of leaping grabs
•Traits to become more efficient as intermediate route-runner
•Could become very good blocker with more play strength

Weaknesses
•Hasn't learned to counter press jabs with his hands
•Allows press corners to grind on him
•Stride length limits burst out of the top of his route
•Needs to finish his in-breaking routes
•Below-average downfield adjustments
•Cornerbacks are allowed to crowd his chest
•Needs more aggressiveness and play strength
•Catch focus runs hot and cold
•Limited yardage after the catch on levels 1 and 2.

Northern_Blitz
04-01-2019, 10:25 AM
Hmm.. I see what your saying. I’m not sure weather I agree with that or not. But I do think Moncreif( if he stays healthy) is better then what most think with Ben throwing to him. But for what we need going forward from our WR’s, I don’t think we actually have to have an AB type of WR. I’m thinking we will be running a much more balanced , dominate time of possession type of offense.

I hope you're right on this.

It would be nice to keep the D off the field.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-01-2019, 11:07 AM
Miles Boykin
Notre Dame
WR
Tinley Park, IL
Senior

6' 4"
220 lbs

Arms
33 1/2”

Hands
9 7/8”

Prospect Grade

Combine Results

40 Yard Dash
4.42 Seconds

Bench Press
12 Reps

Vertical Jump
43.5 INCHES

Broad Jump
140.0 INCHES

3 Cone Drill
6.77 Seconds

20 Yd Shuttle
4.07 Seconds

Player Bio

Boykin grew up in Tinley Park, winning the state Player of the Year award as a senior (65-1,035-15.9, 19 TD) despite missing three games due to injury. He played on the scout team in 2015 before suiting up with the varsity the following year, making six catches for 81 yards (13.5) and a score in 12 games. His sophomore season was, for the most part, uneventful. Boykin did show up in a big way in the team's Citrus Bowl comeback win over LSU, winning MVP honors with three receptions for 102 yards, including a one-handed 55-yard touchdown that sealed the deal. He was the Irish's leading receiver as junior, compiling 59 receptions for 872 yards (14.8 average) and eight touchdowns. His brother, George, had to give up football in high school after he suffered a head injury. Miles changed his jersey number to 81 in high school to honor George.

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst

NFL Comparison
Kenny Golladay

Overview
Lingering on his tape can cause excessive focus on his inconsistencies and areas of improvement, but projecting his traits with additional coaching makes more sense. Boykin's size, length and athleticism offers exciting potential as an outside receiver with mismatch potential, but he will have to learn how to counter press, improve his routes and become more competitive when the ball is in the air. His size won't matter if he doesn't learn to impose it on others. If that happens, he'll become an eventual starter with a high ceiling.

Strengths
•Rare size and length
•Loose hips with long, strides to get on top of cornerbacks quickly
•Athleticism and body control to pivot and twist for back shoulder catches
•Adequate sink to drop, anchor and present
•Meets throws with good arm extension away from his body
•Size causes cornerbacks to panic and interfere downfield
•High-point will be highest on the field
•Tape full of leaping grabs
•Traits to become more efficient as intermediate route-runner
•Could become very good blocker with more play strength

Weaknesses
•Hasn't learned to counter press jabs with his hands
•Allows press corners to grind on him
•Stride length limits burst out of the top of his route
•Needs to finish his in-breaking routes
•Below-average downfield adjustments
•Cornerbacks are allowed to crowd his chest
•Needs more aggressiveness and play strength
•Catch focus runs hot and cold
•Limited yardage after the catch on levels 1 and 2.

Just looking at this scouting report, his strengths are things that can't be taught - size, strength, athleticism, while his weaknesses are things that can be coached - gets jammed easily, route running.

Oh wow
04-01-2019, 11:37 AM

That should’ve been the goal the last few years with this offense. Unfortunately when Haley was here we kicked too many FG’s.

I liked Haley’s gameplan and play designs but his RZ playcalling was pretty awful.

Steel Maniac
04-01-2019, 11:45 AM
Just looking at this scouting report, his strengths are things that can't be taught - size, strength, athleticism, while his weaknesses are things that can be coached - gets jammed easily, route running.

I agree. He has all the tools.

RuthlessBurgher
04-01-2019, 12:01 PM

His 3 cone, short shuttle, vertical leap, and broad jump numbers are off-the-charts good for a man of his size.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-01-2019, 03:26 PM
His 3 cone, short shuttle, vertical leap, and broad jump numbers are off-the-charts good for a man of his size.

With that type of in line quickness, he should be able to learn how to get off blocks better.

hawaiiansteel
05-27-2019, 03:16 PM
Donte Moncrief: ‘I’m Not Just Here To Talk, I’m Here To Play’

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on May 27, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers are a team that more than any other talks very openly about their intentions of building their team primarily through the draft, with free agency being only used as a supplementary tool to fill in the gaps, when available, where drafting or fate had failed them.

Perhaps that is why free agent signings might have a bit more difficulty being immediately accepted here in comparison to high draft picks. Even somebody like Steven Nelson is approached with skepticism after receiving the biggest contract the team has handed out to an outside player during the free agency period.

Meanwhile, much of the focus at the wide receiver position is being paid to the maturation and development of second-year James Washington and rookie Diontae Johnson, while free agent acquisition Donte Moncrief may very well be the one poised to contribute the most to the Steelers’ 2019 campaign. That’s certainly his intention.

And this isn’t his first time in a new environment, either. After spending his first four seasons with the Indianapolis Colts, he departed from the Midwest to the southeast, where he spent last season peddling his wares for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

He was asked about the process of adapting to a new environment. “Just coming in, being open, learning what they want you to learn”, he said. “Coming to work every day and competing, working hard, don’t be lazy, don’t talk back. Just come in and get trust. The more you get trust, that build friendships”.

At 25, Moncrief actually isn’t even the oldest wide receiver in the room. That would be the recently-signed Johnny Holton, but Eli Rogers and Tevin Jones are also 26 already, though Moncrief has more experience than all of them. And he plans to use that experience on the field to help the team, not just on the sidelines and in the classroom as a mentor.

He told the team’s website that his plan is to “work hard in front of the receivers and show the guys that I’m not just here to just talk, I’m here to play”. If he indeed proves to be able to come in and play, he will be the first wide receiver acquired via free agency to have a significant role in the offense (Ryan Switzer was a trade acquisition) since Jerricho Cotchery.

“It’s fun, and I feel like I’m doing a good job”, he added. Moncrief has been running with the first-team offense for at least some, if not all of the time so far during OTAs. He also talked a lot about his building a relationship and a rapport with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, which is obviously another key part of the puzzle of getting the chance to use his experience as much on the field as on the sideline as a guide to the younger players who would contribute ahead of him.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/donte-moncrief-im-not-just-here-to-talk-im-here-to-play/

Steel Maniac
05-27-2019, 03:28 PM
I have zero concerns about Moncrief.

Mr.wizard
05-27-2019, 07:11 PM

I don't think we gave Ben a 2 year extension to pass less.

papillon
05-27-2019, 10:45 PM

I hope that's exactly what happens and the passing offense becomes more efficient and the running game has a larger role in the offense. IMO, that would be the best scenario for this team, Ben passing 675 times isn't a good idea, it wasn't last year and it won't be this year.

Pappy

Steel Maniac
05-27-2019, 11:34 PM
I hope that's exactly what happens and the passing offense becomes more efficient and the running game has a larger role in the offense. IMO, that would be the best scenario for this team, Ben passing 675 times isn't a good idea, it wasn't last year and it won't be this year.

Pappy

exactly. We gave Ben an extension but not to pass alot but to be a great and now efficient QB when passing is needed. We don't need to pass, pass pass and then run. We can and (and from all indications) will balance the offense out.

Northern_Blitz
05-28-2019, 05:47 AM

Pappy

I'd like to see a few more runs too.

But I do kind of see the FOs point that so many of Ben's passes were very short and they were thinking of some of those as run like. Maybe the temptation to do this will be lower without AB.

Captain Lemming
05-28-2019, 09:55 AM

They paid him to win games....period.

Oh wow
05-28-2019, 11:45 AM
If the opposing team can’t stop the run... keep running.

If they can’t stop the pass. Keep passing.

It’s not that hard.

I will say the only time it frustrates me is when we play the #1 pass defense and we come out of the gate passing to prove we can do it. Don’t over think it.

brothervad
05-28-2019, 01:56 PM
They paid him to win games....period.

This is on point...

The Seahawks are a run dominant team, they are not going to change that approach. But yet they paid Russell Wilson a huge contract ($35M/yr) and it's for the very same thing...to win games.

It's not the amount he passes (yards, completion %, etc., etc.) that matters, its his ability to win games.

brothervad

Captain Lemming
05-28-2019, 10:53 PM
This is on point...

The Seahawks are a run dominant team, they are not going to change that approach. But yet they paid Russell Wilson a huge contract ($35M/yr) and it's for the very same thing...to win games.

It's not the amount he passes (yards, completion %, etc., etc.) that matters, its his ability to win games.

brothervad

Last years Ben was record level prolific but made costly mistakes when we needed him to step up to score late.
Young Ben was less prolific....heck less accurate overall.....but was money when we needed a late score.

The record setting dude who throws to a DT to lose a game and blames his receiver while calling it “leadership” I can do without.

The hungry young guy who was as humble as he was clutch, the one who always owed his mistakes, I hope THAT GUY makes a return.

NJ-STEELER
05-28-2019, 10:53 PM
I would think having the best WR in the game (by all accounts here) and arguably one of the best #2 receivers in the game, the game plan would include utilizing those two frequently. especially when your star RB goes MIA for the year.
so I can understand why there was a heavier emphasize with the pass.

I also think game situation plays a part of it. KC up 3 TDs before we can confortable in our chairs, there's going to be lots of passing the nrest of the game to try and catch up

how many less passes are thrown in the chargers game if the refs don't give them 2 TDs. we likely run exclusively to end that game if they were still up big in the 4th quarter

How many less passes are attempted if conner doesn't fumble the ball in cleveland? less then 8 mins left up 2 TDs on a sloppy field run and hold onto the ball and cleveland might barely manage to get 2 more possessions in the game

hawaiiansteel
05-28-2019, 11:01 PM
The record setting dude who throws to a DT to lose a game and blames his receiver while calling it “leadership” I can do without.

I think Ben now realizes he was wrong to do that, especially on his radio show.

hawaiiansteel
05-29-2019, 08:42 PM
Moncrief Hopes Size, Stretching Ability, Position Flexibility Pays Off Especially In Red Zone

By Dave Bryan
Posted on May 29, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers shipped wide receiver Antonio Brown off to the Oakland Raiders via a March trade and him being jettisoned now means the offense has to try to replace the 114 receptions for 1524 yards and 11 touchdowns he averaged over the course of the last six seasons. Of those 67 total receiving touchdowns that Brown registered the last 6 season, 33 of them came inside the red zone and only tight end Jimmy Graham had more during that span.

The Steelers signed veteran wide receiver Donte Moncrief during the early portion of free agency and after trading away Brown in hopes that he’ll help partially fill the void that was created this offseason at the wide receiver position. While Moncrief obviously shouldn’t be expected to catch 100 passes for 1,500 yards in 2019, he can perhaps catch 6 or more red zone touchdown passes from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Moncrief, who has caught 13 red zone touchdown passes in his first five seasons in the NFL with the Indianapolis Colts and Jacksonville Jaguars, talked this week after an OTA practice about him potentially being able to use his size to his advantage inside the red zone now that he’s a member of the Steelers.

“It’s huge, especially in this offense being able to move around and play inside and outside and just using your size and your abilities , the 6-2 Moncrief said, according to a video posted by Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com. “Just being able to stay in there and sty focused and find holes and being there for Ben, that’s going to be great.”

Moncrief has said several times so far this offseason that he’s using the team’s OTA practices to show Roethlisberger all that he can do from a route complexity standpoint in addition to gaining the quarterback’s trust along the way. He also clearly knows that he’ll be leaned on to help fill the big statistical shoes that Brown left behind.

“I always have a chip on my shoulder,” Moncrief said. “I know that this is a huge year for me, a new team and everybody’s looking for me to step up. So I’ve got to come out and be ready to be in the best shape and make plays for the team.”

Last season, Roethlisberger was 48 of 85 passing for 307 yards with 20 touchdowns and 4 interceptions inside the opponent’s 20-yard-line. Wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster and Brown each had 5 red zone touchdown receptions last season while tight end Vance McDonald and running back Jaylen Samuels each caught 3 from Roethlisberger. The other 4 red zone touchdown passes that Roethlisberger threw last season went to running back James Conner, wide receiver James Washington, wide receiver Ryan Switzer and tight end Jesse James, who like Brown, is no longer with the Steelers. Curiously enough, all four of Roethlisberger’s red zone interceptions last season came via passes that were intended for Brown.

On the surface, Brown’s 5 red zone touchdown receptions from last season don’t seem like they’ll be too hard to replace. Two of those touchdowns were wide receiver screens. We’ll have to see if Moncrief can indeed wind up being a great red zone target for Roethlisberger in 2019 and much more and if so, that will certainly help replace of the several impactful things that Brown did during his time in Pittsburgh.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/moncrief-hopes-size-stretching-ability-position-flexibility-pays-off-especially-in-red-zone/

RuthlessBurgher
05-30-2019, 10:04 AM
Curiously enough, all four of Roethlisberger’s red zone interceptions last season came via passes that were intended for Brown

Perhaps Ben should have indeed thrown it to Juju 4 straight times in the red zone after all. :stirpot

Captain Lemming
05-30-2019, 10:15 AM
Perhaps Ben should have indeed thrown it to Juju 4 straight times in the red zone after all. :stirpot

You are just an Antonio :Hater....

wait....he is a Raider now...
Nevermind
:Agree

hawaiiansteel
05-30-2019, 10:58 AM

and I believe that 10 of Ben's 16 total interceptions were intended for AB.

Oh wow
05-30-2019, 12:21 PM
I hope Ben curbs the INt’s But he has averaged 14.75 INT’s the last 4 seasons.

Pretty sure whoever is our #1 WR will have more INT’s thrown in their direction because they will see the most balls

Steel Maniac
05-30-2019, 01:46 PM
Ben and his pass selection to receivers will be better this coming season. Not worried about that side of the ball.

Northern_Blitz
05-30-2019, 04:08 PM
Ben and his pass selection to receivers will be better this coming season. Not worried about that side of the ball.

I hope your right, but it's ultimately just a guess.

Captain Lemming
05-30-2019, 05:25 PM
I hope Ben curbs the INt’s But he has averaged 14.75 INT’s the last 4 seasons.

Pretty sure whoever is our #1 WR will have more INT’s thrown in their direction because they will see the most balls

Pretty sure Juju had all of TWO LESS targets than Brown last season.
If Ben INTENTIONALLY threw two more passes to the DB covering Juju he still IS NOT CLOSE in targeted picks thrown towards Brown.

Oh wow
05-30-2019, 08:37 PM
Pretty sure Juju had all of TWO LESS targets than Brown last season.
If Ben INTENTIONALLY threw two more passes to the DB covering Juju he still IS NOT CLOSE in targeted picks thrown towards Brown.

JuJu wasn’t covered or doubled by the best corners and safety most games.

Ben threw a pick 6 vs the Bengals while targeting JuJu when he was the 1st option.

NJ-STEELER
05-31-2019, 01:12 AM
Moncrief Hopes Size, Stretching Ability, Position Flexibility Pays Off Especially In Red Zone

By Dave Bryan
Posted on May 29, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers shipped wide receiver Antonio Brown off to the Oakland Raiders via a March trade and him being jettisoned now means the offense has to try to replace the 114 receptions for 1524 yards and 11 touchdowns he averaged over the course of the last six seasons. Of those 67 total receiving touchdowns that Brown registered the last 6 season, 33 of them came inside the red zone and only tight end Jimmy Graham had more during that span.

The Steelers signed veteran wide receiver Donte Moncrief during the early portion of free agency and after trading away Brown in hopes that he’ll help partially fill the void that was created this offseason at the wide receiver position. While Moncrief obviously shouldn’t be expected to catch 100 passes for 1,500 yards in 2019, he can perhaps catch 6 or more red zone touchdown passes from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Moncrief, who has caught 13 red zone touchdown passes in his first five seasons in the NFL with the Indianapolis Colts and Jacksonville Jaguars, talked this week after an OTA practice about him potentially being able to use his size to his advantage inside the red zone now that he’s a member of the Steelers.

“It’s huge, especially in this offense being able to move around and play inside and outside and just using your size and your abilities , the 6-2 Moncrief said, according to a video posted by Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com. “Just being able to stay in there and sty focused and find holes and being there for Ben, that’s going to be great.”

Moncrief has said several times so far this offseason that he’s using the team’s OTA practices to show Roethlisberger all that he can do from a route complexity standpoint in addition to gaining the quarterback’s trust along the way. He also clearly knows that he’ll be leaned on to help fill the big statistical shoes that Brown left behind.

“I always have a chip on my shoulder,” Moncrief said. “I know that this is a huge year for me, a new team and everybody’s looking for me to step up. So I’ve got to come out and be ready to be in the best shape and make plays for the team.”

Last season, Roethlisberger was 48 of 85 passing for 307 yards with 20 touchdowns and 4 interceptions inside the opponent’s 20-yard-line. Wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster and Brown each had 5 red zone touchdown receptions last season while tight end Vance McDonald and running back Jaylen Samuels each caught 3 from Roethlisberger. The other 4 red zone touchdown passes that Roethlisberger threw last season went to running back James Conner, wide receiver James Washington, wide receiver Ryan Switzer and tight end Jesse James, who like Brown, is no longer with the Steelers. Curiously enough, all four of Roethlisberger’s red zone interceptions last season came via passes that were intended for Brown.

On the surface, Brown’s 5 red zone touchdown receptions from last season don’t seem like they’ll be too hard to replace. Two of those touchdowns were wide receiver screens. We’ll have to see if Moncrief can indeed wind up being a great red zone target for Roethlisberger in 2019 and much more and if so, that will certainly help replace of the several impactful things that Brown did during his time in Pittsburgh.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/05/moncrief-hopes-size-stretching-ability-position-flexibility-pays-off-especially-in-red-zone/

as great as AB is, insdie the red zone is not one of his stronger suits. much tighter in there and defenders are able to get more physical with him.
of course it would help if the officials would have called penalties when they pulled on his shirt to get ahead of him like they did on the INT vs denver. I've noticed that a countless number of time with few penalties being called.

so, if the officials are not going to throw the flag, it may be better to have bigger receivers at their diposal who may not be effected as much by their jerseys being pulled by a defensive back

Oh wow
05-31-2019, 10:54 AM
as great as AB is, insdie the red zone is not one of his stronger suits. much tighter in there and defenders are able to get more physical with him.
of course it would help if the officials would have called penalties when they pulled on his shirt to get ahead of him like they did on the INT vs denver. I've noticed that a countless number of time with few penalties being called.

so, if the officials are not going to throw the flag, it may be better to have bigger receivers at their diposal who may not be effected as much by their jerseys being pulled by a defensive back

True. I would also like to see Vance targeted more often in the RZ.

Crossing the GL was a struggle for some of our TE’s but I think throwing to them in the endzone can solve some of our problems.

RuthlessBurgher
05-31-2019, 11:53 AM

I trust Colbert drafting WR's more than any other position, but I sure hope we don't come to regret passing on a couple of athletic freaks with excellent size in Hakeem Butler and Miles Boykin when we opted to take another smallish receiver again in Diontae Johnson instead.

Steel Maniac
05-31-2019, 04:10 PM

moncrief, Juju, Samuels, Mcdonald...great red zone targets.

NJ-STEELER
05-31-2019, 08:44 PM
I trust Colbert drafting WR's more than any other position, but I sure hope we don't come to regret passing on a couple of athletic freaks with excellent size in Hakeem Butler and Miles Boykin when we opted to take another smallish receiver again in Diontae Johnson instead.

that was a very puzzling selection with those 2 guys on board

RuthlessBurgher
06-01-2019, 12:09 PM

Well, if we look at where Butler and Boykin ultimately got drafted, both of those teams drafted a wideout who is actually smaller than Diontae Johnson first.

The Cardinals took the tiny Andy Isabella in round 2 before taking the bigger Hakeem Butler in round 4.

The Ravens took the tiny Marquise Brown in round 1 before taking the bigger Miles Boykin in round 3.

So we obviously weren't the only team the preferred the smaller receiver to the big freak athletes.

If Butler and Boykin were the second coming of Julio Jones and A.J. Green, then teams would have been jumping over themselves to draft those elite physical specimen in round 1, but that obviously didn't happen.

hawaiiansteel
06-01-2019, 05:13 PM
https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/private/t_photo_album/f_auto/steelers/zyi0l7nte2pl9vpctiqt.jpg

SidSmythe
06-01-2019, 06:33 PM

Boykin is raw and Butler would have been a 1st round pick if he didn't have a 15% drop %

RuthlessBurgher
06-01-2019, 06:49 PM
Size and straight line speed are great assets to have, but elite level route running and change of direction skills are more important in terms of finding quality receivers. Hands don't hurt either.

Steel Maniac
06-01-2019, 08:02 PM
Boykin is raw and Butler would have been a 1st round pick if he didn't have a 15% drop %

Those are the things I heard also after the draft. I didn't know Boykin was THAT much of a project. And that drop rate of Butler's had teams really concerned after I read that the Colts liked him but not where he was taken because of the drops.

ikestops85
06-03-2019, 01:00 PM

I guess this means that you think Johnson isn't going to make it in this league. :stirpot

hawaiiansteel
06-03-2019, 03:32 PM
Donte Moncrief Knows ‘This Is A Huge Year For Me’

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on June 2, 2019

The first move that the Pittsburgh Steelers made to address the post-Antonio Brown offense was signing sixth-year veteran free agent wide receiver Donte Moncrief. A former third-round pick of the Indianapolis Colts, he spent last season with the Jacksonville Jaguars, but in Pittsburgh he will finally work with another starting-caliber quarterback for the first time since his early years with Andrew Luck before the injuries.

While he has had some productivity in his career, he knows that he hasn’t quite lived up to the billing, nor his own standards, and the two-year, $9 million contract that he signed with the Steelers represented a step down in compensation that reflects that reality.

“I know this is a huge year for me”, he told Jeremy Fowler recently during OTAs. “New team, everybody looking for me to make big plays. I have to be ready”.

While he is not the only option opposite JuJu Smith-Schuster—a 2018 Pro Bowler—Moncrief is the only one among that group that has meaningful NFL experience. The other two primary contenders are James Washington, a second-year wide receiver with minimal production, and Diontae Johnson, who was just drafted with the 66th-overall pick in April.

And he likes what he has seen from those guys and others as he enters arguably the most talented wide receiver room in which he has worked since he entered the league. In fact, he had a good feeling about the entire team, saying that “there’s a lot of great leadership”, and “you can tell this is a good locker room”.

Though he very much wants to be a part of that ‘good locker room’, he does not want to fall into that ‘veteran mentor’ role that Darrius Heyward-Bey seamlessly adopted. He sparsely contributed on offense—and often when he did, it was to be a blocker—but he had a big presence as a leader with his group of guys.

He wants to “work hard in front of the receivers and show the guys that I’m not just here to just talk, I’m here to play”, in his own words. Which seemingly fits into the rest of the group. He also told Fowler that “everybody’s pushing each other”, and that when a player drops a pass, they have to ‘drop’ and do 10 push-ups as a consequence. According to Pro Football Focus, Moncrief has averaged between two to four drops in his career per season, neither great nor terrible.

“Everybody’s trying to bring energy”, he said of the group. “I feel like everybody’ going to be able to help. Everyone’s ready to play. Everybody knows JuJu is going to get a lot of attention. We have to be able to help him out, take some double-teams away and beat man so the defense has to cover everybody”.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/donte-moncrief-knows-this-is-a-huge-year-for-me/

RuthlessBurgher
06-18-2019, 02:34 PM
High hopes for Donte Moncrief in Pittsburgh

Posted by Mike Florio on June 18, 2019, 2:26 PM EDT

As the Steelers clamor to replace the high-level production of receiver Antonio Brown, an unlikely candidate arrived in free agency, from the Jaguars.

Mark Kaboly of TheAthletic.com believes that Moncrief appeared to be a clear-cut No. 2 receiver during the offseason program.

“I wasn’t really sure what to expect when he came in,” quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said of Moncrief, via Kaboly. “I didn’t know him and now just getting to see his work ethic, the type of person he is, his desire to be great, his knowledge of the offense already. We’ll do no-huddle stuff and I’ll give him a signal and I’ll be like, ‘You good?’ and he’ll be like, ‘Yeah.’ He is in with coach [Darryl] Drake every single morning, pretty much all day.”

Kaboly envisions 50-60 catches and five or six touchdown receptions for Moncrief, who originally played for the Colts before a one-year stint in Jacksonville and who is competing with the likes of James Washington and Dionte Johnson for the starting spot across from JuJu Smith-Schuster, the 2018 team MVP who is now the No. 1 wideout.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/18/high-hopes-for-donte-moncrief-in-pittsburgh/

Steel Maniac
06-18-2019, 03:15 PM
The Athletic's Mark Kaboly writes Donte Moncrief "looks like a slam-dunk No. 2" receiver.
After watching the free-agent addition in the spring, Kaboly believes Moncrief "easily looks like a 50- or 60-catch guy with five or six touchdowns." The receiver also earned praise from Ben Roethlisberger, who talked up Moncrief's work ethic and knowledge of the offense. It is still possible James Washington or Diontae Johnson make their case in camp, but things are looking good for Moncrief right now, making him a nice value pick in the double-digit rounds.

SOURCE: The Athletic
Jun 18, 2019, 8:53 AM ET

Oviedo
06-18-2019, 03:43 PM
High hopes for Donte Moncrief in Pittsburgh

Posted by Mike Florio on June 18, 2019, 2:26 PM EDT

As the Steelers clamor to replace the high-level production of receiver Antonio Brown, an unlikely candidate arrived in free agency, from the Jaguars.

Mark Kaboly of TheAthletic.com believes that Moncrief appeared to be a clear-cut No. 2 receiver during the offseason program.

“I wasn’t really sure what to expect when he came in,” quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said of Moncrief, via Kaboly. “I didn’t know him and now just getting to see his work ethic, the type of person he is, his desire to be great, his knowledge of the offense already. We’ll do no-huddle stuff and I’ll give him a signal and I’ll be like, ‘You good?’ and he’ll be like, ‘Yeah.’ He is in with coach [Darryl] Drake every single morning, pretty much all day.”

Kaboly envisions 50-60 catches and five or six touchdown receptions for Moncrief, who originally played for the Colts before a one-year stint in Jacksonville and who is competing with the likes of James Washington and Dionte Johnson for the starting spot across from JuJu Smith-Schuster, the 2018 team MVP who is now the No. 1 wideout.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/18/high-hopes-for-donte-moncrief-in-pittsburgh/

With his experience, if he is the true #2 then I really hope for more that 50-60 catches. I mean Vance McDonald had 50 catches and 4 TDs last year. I think anything less than 70-80 catches for Moncrief is a disappointment.

Ernie
06-18-2019, 04:00 PM
agreed.. 4 to 5 catches a game for our #2 wideout is reasonable.

Northern_Blitz
06-18-2019, 04:30 PM
With his experience, if he is the true #2 then I really hope for more that 50-60 catches. I mean Vance McDonald had 50 catches and 4 TDs last year. I think anything less than 70-80 catches for Moncrief is a disappointment.

If he equals his best totals (64 rec, 668 yards, 7 TDs) think he's probably a mid-tier WR2.

Last year, the 48th ranked WR (John Brown BAL) had 42 rec, 715 yards, and 5 TDs.

If he gets his average production outside of his rookie year (42 rec, 525 yards, 4.5 TDs), he's probably closer to the bottom of the WR2 pile.

Last year, the 64th ranked WR (D. Baldwin SEA) had 50 rec, 618 yards, and 5 TDs.

I hope that Ben can bring out the best in him. But I think our best course of action is to have Ben distributing the ball to whoever's open / has the best match-up between several mid-tier WRs (when JuJu's not open).

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-18-2019, 06:09 PM
Have to see the makeup of the O this year before we will know our numbers expectations. I really think we can see a dynamic like the Patriots have where a given player can go off in any given game due to mismatches. Time for the system to evolve to where the offense will take advantage of other teams' weaknesses instead of trying to "impose our will".

With AB in the fold, priority 1 was to feed him the ball. Only when he was doubled did the team reluctantly go to plan B, and not always then. If a D had a great DB who was covering AB, and a soft run D, the team still tried to push it in to Brown again and again.

I think that the entire offensive philosophy will undergo huge changes this off-season.

Northern_Blitz
06-19-2019, 05:26 AM
Have to see the makeup of the O this year before we will know our numbers expectations. I really think we can see a dynamic like the Patriots have where a given player can go off in any given game due to mismatches. Time for the system to evolve to where the offense will take advantage of other teams' weaknesses instead of trying to "impose our will".

With AB in the fold, priority 1 was to feed him the ball. Only when he was doubled did the team reluctantly go to plan B, and not always then. If a D had a great DB who was covering AB, and a soft run D, the team still tried to push it in to Brown again and again.

I think that the entire offensive philosophy will undergo huge changes this off-season.

This is what I'm hoping for. I think that if the QB can make good decisions quickly it's a very good strategy.

I think it will mostly depend on whether Ben can run that kind of offense.

Mr.wizard
06-19-2019, 07:34 AM

JuJu had 111 catches as the number 2 last year, so im not sure AB was keeping other people from getting the ball. In fact it may be true the AB made it possible for others to flourish.

Oh wow
06-19-2019, 08:15 AM
JuJu had 111 catches as the number 2 last year, so im not sure AB was keeping other people from getting the ball. In fact it may be true the AB made it possible for others to flourish.

Yup. The problem tho is our offense threw the ball a ton.

Down by 7? Pass, pass, pass

We need balance.

Captain Lemming
06-19-2019, 09:48 AM

Question people. When has the number one receiver been statistically SECOND in so many stats?

Name any great receiver.......when did it happen before receiver 1 got old?
I can think of one possible answer Lynn Swann.....but reality is Stallworth simply proved to be a HOF level legit number one himself.

My point. I aint worried AT ALL about Juju cause the "he got lesser coverage" garbage is just a myth.
You dont lead a team in catches and yards over a HOFer because you are a number 2 with lesser coverage.....it doesnt happen. EVER!

We talk about the coverage Brown had.......he has been elite FOR YEARS yet was number one by a WIDE margin. Coverage was never an issue for Brown before.
Brown was force fed the ball plenty DESPITE coverage and his numbers dropped?

People, his catch "percentage" was the difference. We all saw it.

Truth? ABs game "declined" people. Seems early to be age but its possible.
My take? His "greatness" is from having the "eye of the tiger" and he lost his edge with all his accolades.

Neither Moncrief nor any other receiver will be as great as Brown individually.

But Ben's force feeding him the ball hurt the team.

Overall, Bens making better decisions, feeling no such "pressure" to feed Brown's ego WILL result in better QB play which in the end is what matters WAY more than receiver talent.
If receiver talent mattered SO MUCH Brady would have no rings and Ben would have plenty.

The last "elite" ego-centric receiver to get a ring.......Michael Irvin TWENTY FOUR years ago?

Steel Maniac
06-19-2019, 10:24 AM
Question people. When has the number one receiver been statistically SECOND in so many stats?

I can think of one possible answer Lynn Swann.....but reality is Stallworth simply proved to be a HOF level legit number one himself.

My point. I aint worried AT ALL about Juju cause the "he got lesser coverage" garbage is just a myth.
You dont lead a team in catches and yards over a HOFer because you are a number 2 with lesser coverage.....it doesnt happen. EVER!

We talk about the coverage Brown had.......he has been elite FOR YEARS yet was number one by a WIDE margin. Coverage was never an issue for Brown before.

My take? His "greatness" is from having the "eye of the tiger" and he lost his edge with all his accolades.

Overall, Bens making better decisions, feeling no such "pressure" to feed Brown's ego WILL result in better QB play which in the end is what matters WAY more than receiver talent.
If receiver talent mattered SO MUCH Brady would have no rings and Ben would have plenty.

The last "elite" ego-centric receiver to get a ring.......Michael Irvin TWENTY FOUR years ago?

Totally agree with this.
In truth, Ben has now been freed/liberated to actually throw to whoever the open receiver is....regardless! Without having to force anything to any one receiver.
Couple that with a powerful run game and we have a balanced offense.

RuthlessBurgher
06-19-2019, 10:31 AM
Here is what Ben's top returning targets at each position contributed in the passing game last year:

WR1 Juju Smith-Schuster: 1426 receiving yards in 16 games
TE1 Vance McDonald: 610 receiving yards in 15 games
RB1 James Conner: 497 receiving yards in 13 games

That's 2533 combined receiving yards for those 3 guys alone. We are more than halfway to 5000 receiving yards with just those three. Plus, all three guys are young ascending players, not old vets on the back nine of their careers. I would imagine that it would be reasonable to assume that they are certainly each capable of this type of production again, if not more.

No single player is going to make up for the 1297 receiving yards Antonio Brown had in 15 games last season.

But we now have a lot of young, capable, motivated options to combine together to more than make up for the difference.

Donte Moncrief
James Washington
Diontae Johnson
Eli Rogers
Ryan Switzer

If Ben is able to spread the ball around like he should, each of these guys is capable of a bare minimum of 200-300 yards through the air, with the possibility of a few of them making it up to the 600-800 yards area.

And then you add in the contributions from our depth RB's and TE's as well:

Jaylen Samuels/Benny Snell
Xavier Grimble/Zach Gentry

I am confident that we'll be just fine with this fresh new group of offensive weapons...all Ben has to do is find the open man and not necessarily try to appease big egos, which often resulted in his poorest decision making.

Captain Lemming
06-19-2019, 11:21 AM
Here is what Ben's top returning targets at each position contributed in the passing game last year:

WR1 Juju Smith-Schuster: 1426 receiving yards in 16 games
TE1 Vance McDonald: 610 receiving yards in 15 games
RB1 James Conner: 497 receiving yards in 13 games

That's 2533 combined receiving yards for those 3 guys alone. We are more than halfway to 5000 receiving yards with just those three. Plus, all three guys are young ascending players, not old vets on the back nine of their careers. I would imagine that it would be reasonable to assume that they are certainly each capable of this type of production again, if not more.

No single player is going to make up for the 1297 receiving yards Antonio Brown had in 15 games last season.

But we now have a lot of young, capable, motivated options to combine together to more than make up for the difference.

Donte Moncrief
James Washington
Diontae Johnson
Eli Rogers
Ryan Switzer

If Ben is able to spread the ball around like he should, each of these guys is capable of a bare minimum of 200-300 yards through the air, with the possibility of a few of them making it up to the 600-800 yards area.

And then you add in the contributions from our depth RB's and TE's as well:

Jaylen Samuels/Benny Snell
Xavier Grimble/Zach Gentry

I am confident that we'll be just fine with this fresh new group of offensive weapons...all Ben has to do is find the open man and not necessarily try to appease big egos, which often resulted in his poorest decision making.

Ben had a career high 34 TDs last season with 2 thousand yard receivers.
Dude threw 675 times to get those numbers.
A HOF QB shoulda had 40 TDs throwing THAT much.

I still contend that Ben's best statistical regular season was 2007.

Ben had THIRTY TWO touchdowns in 07 in TWO THOUSAND less attempts than last season.

Not a single Pro Bowl level receiver, but we had old Hines, young Santonio, AND Nate Washington as well as Cedrick Wilson.
Not so much "elite" but plenty "deep".

He "force fed" nobody that year and was killin it in efficiency.

RuthlessBurgher
06-19-2019, 12:24 PM
Ben had THIRTY TWO touchdowns in 07 in TWO THOUSAND less attempts than last season.

I think you meant TWO HUNDRED less attempts as opposed to TWO THOUSAND there.

Actually, Ben threw the ball 675 times last season. He threw it 404 times in 2007.

That would be precisely TWO HUNDRED AND SEVENTY ONE less attempts.

NorthCoast
06-19-2019, 01:24 PM
Nice work Ruthless and Captain.

Let's do the moneyball thing then for kicks (Johnson excluded since he has no NFL starts):

Assume the 5 receivers that need to make up the 2500 yes split equally (yes not likely but go with it). Using career yds/rec and catch rates here's the breakdown for each player to hit 500 yds:

Moncrief- needs 68 targets
Rogers - needs 71 targets
Switz needs 87 targets
Washington needs 87 targets (not a great catch rate last season.)

That's >300 targets!

Factor in Johnson and I think the Steelers made some great moneyball moves.

Northern_Blitz
06-19-2019, 01:24 PM

I think your idea here is reasonable and I hope you're right.

But it's also not the only possible explanation.

Another potential explanation is that Ben's deep ball accuracy is declining with age. My understanding is that his percentage completions on passes that travel 15+ and 20+ yards in the air was down last year. It this is a QB issue, it might make sense that the guy who generally catches more deep balls (AB) is hurt more than the guy who catches fewer deep balls (JuJu).

It did seem like early in the season Ben was having trouble hitting AB deep. I grant that my evidence is anecdotal and based on memory (not great in either case), but I do seem to remember Ben throwing a few uncatchable deep balls to AB that would have went for large gains or TDs.

We also seemed to adopt an offense that (I think) threw some of the most (by # and percentage) short passes in the league.

I'm not saying that Ben losing deep accuracy is the truth. But it is possible (especially given his age). And it seems to make as much sense as AB declining due to age.

I think for Ben's entire career, we've assumed that he wouldn't last as long as Brady of other QBs because of the punishment he's taken (especially early in his career). I hope not, but we may be seeing the beginning of that now...

I hope that (1) Captain Lemming is correct or that (2) if Ben is losing deep ball accuracy he can thrive in a shorter passing game. We'll see as we play the games.

Northern_Blitz
06-19-2019, 01:26 PM
Ben had a career high 34 TDs last season with 2 thousand yard receivers.
Dude threw 675 times to get those numbers.
A HOF QB shoulda had 40 TDs throwing THAT much.

I still contend that Ben's best statistical regular season was 2007.

Not a single Pro Bowl level receiver, but we had old Hines, young Santonio, AND Nate Washington as well as Cedrick Wilson.
Not so much "elite" but plenty "deep".

He "force fed" nobody that year and was killin it in efficiency.

I hope that we can go back to distributing between multiple good (but not necessarily great) targets.

Note that the stats you're presenting here ("A HOF QB shoulda had 40 TDs throwing THAT much") might also point to Ben declining.

Mr.wizard
06-19-2019, 01:27 PM

My point wasnt that JuJu got so many catches because brown was taking all the coverage, my point was about our number 2 receiver getting looks because Brown is gone. Juju was thrown to a lot his opportunities did not diminish with Brown on the field, do you think Juju will get targeted more this season, i dont.

Captain Lemming
06-20-2019, 02:25 AM
I think your idea here is reasonable and I hope you're right.

But it's also not the only possible explanation.

Another potential explanation is that Ben's deep ball accuracy is declining with age. My understanding is that his percentage completions on passes that travel 15+ and 20+ yards in the air was down last year. It this is a QB issue, it might make sense that the guy who generally catches more deep balls (AB) is hurt more than the guy who catches fewer deep balls (JuJu).

It did seem like early in the season Ben was having trouble hitting AB deep. I grant that my evidence is anecdotal and based on memory (not great in either case), but I do seem to remember Ben throwing a few uncatchable deep balls to AB that would have went for large gains or TDs.

We also seemed to adopt an offense that (I think) threw some of the most (by # and percentage) short passes in the league.

I'm not saying that Ben losing deep accuracy is the truth. But it is possible (especially given his age). And it seems to make as much sense as AB declining due to age.

I think for Ben's entire career, we've assumed that he wouldn't last as long as Brady of other QBs because of the punishment he's taken (especially early in his career). I hope not, but we may be seeing the beginning of that.

Dang, that is a scary possibility.

Oh wow
06-20-2019, 11:46 AM
JuJu even admitted its easier with Brown on the field because he got a ton of attention.

I’m sorry, I loved the JuJu pick but I’m not as confident as some are when it comes to him being the #1 target.

I also think JuJu thrives in the slot because he is a ferocious blocker. I hope we find ways to maximize his ability to crack down on LB’s in the running game.

He is still the least of my worries when it comes to our passing game. Ben’s decision making and these new and young guys stepping up is the biggest concern. When JuJu is doubled can Washington get open? Who will stretch the field? Can Switzer actually turn up field and run instead of going sideways?

Captain Lemming
06-20-2019, 05:20 PM
JuJu even admitted its easier with Brown on the field because he got a ton of attention.

I’m sorry, I loved the JuJu pick but I’m not as confident as some are when it comes to him being the #1 target.

Juju was being a respectful teammate supporting his fellow Steeler.
Brown would do well to learn from the kid.

AS SOON AS BROWN WAS GONE?

No more feeding Brown's insatiable ego.
Sure dont look like a guy with any concern Brown's departure will hurt his game.

"I'm Ready"
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1Tz0w0U0AARLNk.jpg

Captain Lemming
06-20-2019, 05:35 PM
Let me add the following predictions:

1. Jujus number INCREASE across the board
2. Juju is not just a legit starter....he is AGAIN a Pro Bowler

Why do I KNOW this?

You got it backwards. Ben's over-reliance on Brown "diminished" the production of other receivers.
Landry Jones plays and suddenly Martavous was a beast.

Let me add a third prediction:
3. Juju's production is superior to Brown's

Why? The QB does more to "make the receiver" than the other way around.
Mark my words Dizz, it will absolutely happen.

Steel Maniac
06-20-2019, 05:40 PM
Let me add the following predictions:

The QB does more to "make the receiver" than the other way around.
Mark my words Dizz, it will absolutely happen.

And this is why Brown's numbers in Oakland will go down. Because the quarterback does more to make the receiver then the other way around. Carr isn't Ben.

Captain Lemming
06-20-2019, 05:46 PM
When has a young receiver overtaken a legendary under 30 teammate in catches and yards been unable to withstand the departure of the legend?
When ever has the coverage given to the number one receiver resulted in a teammate having superior catch and yardage?

What I'm saying Dizz is that YOU CANNOT DO WHAT JUJU DID with a HOFer if you arent a legit number one talent.
It has NEVER HAPPENED.

If some kid has more yardage AND catches next season than a healthy Julio Jones......better believe that kid is a LEGIT number one.

hawaiiansteel
06-20-2019, 06:42 PM
And this is why Brown's numbers in Oakland will go down. Because the quarterback does more to make the receiver then the other way around. Carr isn't Ben.

perhaps, but I think AB will be one of the league leaders in targets which will keep his numbers up.

NorthCoast
06-20-2019, 06:46 PM
Juju's contested catch rate is what I bank on going forward. Guy doesn't need to be wide open to make a catch. And being #1, there will be tighter coverage. Bank on it.

Steel Maniac
06-21-2019, 09:18 AM
perhaps, but I think AB will be one of the league leaders in targets which will keep his numbers up.

You can be initially targeted all you want; but if the qb sees double coverage, most QBs are going to go find a single covered option instead. I get what your saying but Carr isn’t Ben in getting the ball into some rediculous places where only the Wr can make the play. Remember, they have Tyrell Williams on the other side and that slot WR from Clemson. No need to force anything.

Oh wow
06-21-2019, 10:17 AM
When has a young receiver overtaken a legendary under 30 teammate in catches and yards been unable to withstand the departure of the legend?
When ever has the coverage given to the number one receiver resulted in a teammate having superior catch and yardage?

What I'm saying Dizz is that YOU CANNOT DO WHAT JUJU DID with a HOFer if you arent a legit number one talent.
It has NEVER HAPPENED.

If some kid has more yardage AND catches next season than a healthy Julio Jones......better believe that kid is a LEGIT number one.

We shall see, but don’t be discouraged if JuJu isn’t lighting it up like you expected rarely on.

JuJu I definitely a great WR but you can’t overlook all the attention AB received as our #1.

RuthlessBurgher
06-21-2019, 10:19 AM
You can be initially targeted all you want; but if the qb sees double coverage, most QBs are going to go find a single covered option instead. I get what your saying but Carr isn’t Ben in getting the ball into some rediculous places where only the Wr can make the play. Remember, they have Tyrell Williams on the other side and that slot WR from Clemson. No need to force anything.

For the record, Hunter Renfrow is a rookie 5th round pick and Tyrell Williams caught 41 passes in 16 games last season, and 43 passes in 16 games the year before that. On the other hand, Antonio Brown has caught over 100 passes for 6 straight seasons.

Oh wow
06-21-2019, 10:19 AM

Half the time Ben wasn’t even threading needles. Just tossing it up and letting AB go up and get it.

If Carr is mart he will throw into double coverage more often than he normally would with other WR’s. It won’t always work out but more times than not AB is going to win the battle.

Northern_Blitz
06-21-2019, 11:23 AM
We shall see, but don’t be discouraged if JuJu isn’t lighting it up like you expected rarely on.

JuJu I definitely a great WR but you can’t overlook all the attention AB received as our #1.

I think it's reasonable to assume that Juju will take some time to adjust to his new role.

And in week 1, I assume that the Pats will take Juju away and make us win with Conner and the new guys.

RuthlessBurgher
06-21-2019, 12:21 PM
I think it's reasonable to assume that Juju will take some time to adjust to his new role.

And in week 1, I assume that the Pats will take Juju away and make us win with Conner and the new guys.

Whatever it takes. Last year, we beat them even though Ben threw for only 235 yards and was also intercepted twice.

With Conner on the shelf, we rode RB Jaylen Samuels to victory with 172 yards from scrimmage (19 rushes for 142 yards and 2 catches for another 30 yards).

rpmpit
06-21-2019, 12:27 PM
Whatever it takes. Last year, we beat them even though Ben threw for only 235 yards and was also intercepted twice.

With Conner on the shelf, we rode RB Jaylen Samuels to victory with 172 yards from scrimmage (19 rushes for 142 yards and 2 catches for another 30 yards).

I love (but hate) how no one remembers this game. We were the last team to beat the Pats last year. Conner out (like you said) and AB only had 4 catches for 49 yards and a td.

Much improved defense and without Ben forcing it to AB, I think we surprise all of the non-believers opening day. CAN'T FRIGGIN' WAIT :tt2

Northern_Blitz
06-21-2019, 12:37 PM
I love (but hate) how no one remembers this game. We were the last team to beat the Pats last year. Conner out (like you said) and AB only had 4 catches for 49 yards and a td.

Much improved defense and without Ben forcing it to AB, I think we surprise all of the non-believers opening day. CAN'T FRIGGIN' WAIT :tt2

I like that we've played them well the last few times in difficult circumstances.
- Last year with Conner out
- Two years ago after Shazier was injured.

I also like that we'll be playing them early and it seems to take them time to optimize their line up / memorize everyone else's playbook.

Hoping that we can start the season off with a win and I think we'll be counting on several young players. We have a tough start before the bye and every win is going to count.

If we can be above 500 at the bye, I think we'll end up having a pretty good season. But, I won't be surprised if it's a bit like last year with a slower start and we end up gutting it out at the end of the year

RuthlessBurgher
06-21-2019, 02:05 PM
We drafted Devin Bush (and signed Mark Barron) to improve the coverage over the middle of the defense.

However, up in the New England, look at the TE's Bush could have been facing in his first real NFL game:

1. Gronk retired.
2. Ben Watson is suspended for the first 4 games.
3. Austin Sefarian-Jenkins was released.
4. Much-rumored trade target Kyle Rudolph signed an extension in Minnesota.
5. They tried trading for Michael Roberts, but he failed his physical and the trade was rescinded.
6. They are left with guys like Matt LaCosse, Stephen Anderson, Andrew Beck, Ryan Izzo, and Jakob Johnson.

I guess Devin's first NFL game will be focused on RB's out of the backfield like James White and Sony Michel rather than TE.

rpmpit
06-21-2019, 02:33 PM
We drafted Devin Bush (and signed Mark Barron) to improve the coverage over the middle of the defense.

However, up in the New England, look at the TE's Bush could have been facing in his first real NFL game:

1. Gronk retired.
5. They tried trading for Michael Roberts, but he failed his physical and the trade was rescinded.
6. They are left with guys like Matt LaCosse, Stephen Anderson, Andrew Beck, Ryan Izzo, and Jakob Johnson.

I guess Devin's first NFL game will be focused on RB's out of the backfield like James White and Sony Michel rather than TE.

Biggest difference is No. 1. Gronk killed us every game. Over and over and over and... :mad:

Some people say they'd rather beat NE at their best but not gonna lie... glad he's retired.

Northern_Blitz
06-21-2019, 03:06 PM

1. Gronk retired.

And hopefully using his insane speed to put Brady on his ass a few times.

hawaiiansteel
06-24-2019, 08:47 PM
Chance For New Steelers WR Donte Moncrief To Show He Isn’t ‘Overwhelmingly Average’ In 2019

By Dave Bryan
Posted on June 24, 2019

Andy Benoit‏, NFL analyst for Sports Illustrated and The MMQB, recently tweeted about new Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Donte Moncrief and what he had to say seemed to anger quite a few fans of the team.

It is true, however, that Moncrief has only averaged just a little more than 500 receiving yards a season since coming into the league in 2014 with the Indianapolis Colts. It’s also true, however, that Moncrief has had to work with several different quarterbacks since coming into the league and that number currently sits at 8 in total. Last season, Moncrief played for the Jacksonville Jaguars and quarterbacks Blake Bortles and Cody Kessler and while he was targeted 89 times in total and caught 48 passes for 672 yards and 3 touchdowns, only 64 of those passes were catchable ones.

Quite honestly, Moncrief’s 2018 season was indeed quite average, all things considered. For starters, it was very easy to pick out his five top receptions from the 2018 regular season because his other 43 paled in comparison.

When you dig deeper into Moncrief’s 2018 target numbers you can really see how average of a season he had. For starters, while Moncrief’s average depth per target on 89 attempts last season was 13.2 yards, according to my charting, the average depth of his 48 total receptions was 9.2 yards. Obviously, that 4 yard difference is one you dont want to see but also keep in mind that 25 of the passes thrown his direction were scored as uncatchable by Sports Info Solutions.

According to my charting, 23 of Moncrief’s catches in 2018 came via passes thrown 6 or less yards past the original line of scrimmage. Additionally, he only caught 8 passes last season that flew more than 15 yards in the air past the line of scrimmage. He was targeted that distance 32 times, according to my charting, with 15 of those being uncatchable throws.

To best illustrate Moncrief’s receptions last season, I charted the distance of each pass he caught and where he was on the field when he caught the football. Keep in mind that every throw that’s charted on the field below is as if the original line of scrimmage of each play were the 30-yard-line.

As the charted data below shows, Moncrief only had two deep catches between the numbers last season. You can also easily see how many were caught 6 or less yards past the line of scrimmage. 9 of his catches last season came via short drag routes and 5 more came via short out routes.

Now, when Moncrief played with the Colts in his first four seasons in the NFL, and specifically with quarterback Andrew Luck, his average depth of completion in each of his first three seasons was 8.0. 6.7 and 8.8 yards, respectively. His average depth of total targets from 2014-2016 from Luck was 12.0, 9.8 and 9.8 yards. Also, Moncrief caught just 13 of 35 deep pass targets from Luck in those first three seasons and that percentage is not great.

When you compare Moncrief’s average depth of reception stat last year to his average when he was targeted by Luck in his first three seasons in the NFL, you see that last season’s number was better.

Now, as a means of comparison, last season Brown’s average depth per reception was 8.0 yards and his average depth of target was 11.4 yards from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Also, 60 of Brown’s 102 total receptions from Roethlisberger last season were caught 6 or less yards from the original line of scrimmage.

How will Moncrief do in his first season with Roethlisberger as his quarterback? Obviously he’s not going to be targeted 165 times like Brown was last season. He could, however be targeted at least 90-100 times in 2019 and if catches at least 63% of those passes, he could wind up having a career year, or at the very least, a better than average one.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/chance-for-new-steelers-wr-donte-moncrief-to-show-he-isnt-overwhelmingly-average-in-2019/

RuthlessBurgher
07-01-2019, 10:23 AM
Steelers WR coach: Donte Moncrief “playing with a lot of confidence”

Posted by Josh Alper on June 30, 2019, 1:34 PM EDT

Wide receiver Donte Moncrief is in his first year with the Steelers, but it doesn’t look like he’s had a hard time adapting to a new offense.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger complimented Moncrief’s knowledge of the offense at the end of the offseason program and that the two players have already developed a shorthand for communicating with each other on the field. Wide receivers coach Darryl Drake noted that connection’s led Roethlisberger to have confidence in Moncrief and that the wideout spent the spring “playing with a lot of confidence.”

“There’s times where you get a guy, you bring him in and he’s been in two or three different systems, those systems start running together,” Drake said, via PennLive.com. “But he’s been able to distinguish the differences and go out there and do things that makes my job a lot easier because he has a feel for the position.”

After the Steelers traded Antonio Brown, there wasn’t much certain about how the receiving group in Pittsburgh would look beyond JuJu Smith-Schuster being at the top of it. Moncrief’s offseason work appears to have brought things into further focus.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/30/steelers-wr-coach-donte-moncrief-playing-with-a-lot-of-confidence/

Steel Maniac
07-02-2019, 10:11 AM
Chance For New Steelers WR Donte Moncrief To Show He Isn’t ‘Overwhelmingly Average’ In 2019

By Dave Bryan
Posted on June 24, 2019

Andy Benoit‏, NFL analyst for Sports Illustrated and The MMQB, recently tweeted about new Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Donte Moncrief and what he had to say seemed to anger quite a few fans of the team.

It is true, however, that Moncrief has only averaged just a little more than 500 receiving yards a season since coming into the league in 2014 with the Indianapolis Colts. It’s also true, however, that Moncrief has had to work with several different quarterbacks since coming into the league and that number currently sits at 8 in total. Last season, Moncrief played for the Jacksonville Jaguars and quarterbacks Blake Bortles and Cody Kessler and while he was targeted 89 times in total and caught 48 passes for 672 yards and 3 touchdowns, only 64 of those passes were catchable ones.

Quite honestly, Moncrief’s 2018 season was indeed quite average, all things considered. For starters, it was very easy to pick out his five top receptions from the 2018 regular season because his other 43 paled in comparison.

When you dig deeper into Moncrief’s 2018 target numbers you can really see how average of a season he had. For starters, while Moncrief’s average depth per target on 89 attempts last season was 13.2 yards, according to my charting, the average depth of his 48 total receptions was 9.2 yards. Obviously, that 4 yard difference is one you dont want to see but also keep in mind that 25 of the passes thrown his direction were scored as uncatchable by Sports Info Solutions.

According to my charting, 23 of Moncrief’s catches in 2018 came via passes thrown 6 or less yards past the original line of scrimmage. Additionally, he only caught 8 passes last season that flew more than 15 yards in the air past the line of scrimmage. He was targeted that distance 32 times, according to my charting, with 15 of those being uncatchable throws.

To best illustrate Moncrief’s receptions last season, I charted the distance of each pass he caught and where he was on the field when he caught the football. Keep in mind that every throw that’s charted on the field below is as if the original line of scrimmage of each play were the 30-yard-line.

As the charted data below shows, Moncrief only had two deep catches between the numbers last season. You can also easily see how many were caught 6 or less yards past the line of scrimmage. 9 of his catches last season came via short drag routes and 5 more came via short out routes.

Now, when Moncrief played with the Colts in his first four seasons in the NFL, and specifically with quarterback Andrew Luck, his average depth of completion in each of his first three seasons was 8.0. 6.7 and 8.8 yards, respectively. His average depth of total targets from 2014-2016 from Luck was 12.0, 9.8 and 9.8 yards. Also, Moncrief caught just 13 of 35 deep pass targets from Luck in those first three seasons and that percentage is not great.

When you compare Moncrief’s average depth of reception stat last year to his average when he was targeted by Luck in his first three seasons in the NFL, you see that last season’s number was better.

Now, as a means of comparison, last season Brown’s average depth per reception was 8.0 yards and his average depth of target was 11.4 yards from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Also, 60 of Brown’s 102 total receptions from Roethlisberger last season were caught 6 or less yards from the original line of scrimmage.

How will Moncrief do in his first season with Roethlisberger as his quarterback? Obviously he’s not going to be targeted 165 times like Brown was last season. He could, however be targeted at least 90-100 times in 2019 and if catches at least 63% of those passes, he could wind up having a career year, or at the very least, a better than average one.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/chance-for-new-steelers-wr-donte-moncrief-to-show-he-isnt-overwhelmingly-average-in-2019/

I'm feeling really good about where Moncrief is from all the reports and when I listen specifically to what Ben says about him ( I trust him already because he's where he's suppose to be) tells me that Moncrief is going to have a fine season. And coming into the season opener, with the attention Juju is going to get, Moncrief could come out the gates with a great game against the Pats; A 100 plus yard game.