PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone heard

JIMBO
03-05-2019, 12:50 PM
Part of a piece in the Boston Globe this morning mentions the Steeler turmoil. Something I hadn't heard anything of was the apparent bad blood between Ben and Joey Porter going back to their playing days which in some way led to Porter not being rehired. Does anyone know more about this?

SteelBucks
03-05-2019, 01:00 PM
That’s a new one. I’d like to think Porter wasn’t rehired due to LB poor play this season.

Ghost
03-05-2019, 01:13 PM
This started with Bruce Arians autobiography. Arians claimed Porter called out Ben at a team meeting in his second year about being a better teammate and nice to the fans. Arians said Porter used some harsh language. It apparently embarrassed Ben and he has admitted to despising Porter back then.

But Porter was on the staff from 2014 - 2018. I doubt something that happened back in 2005 suddenly made a difference after 5 years coaching on the team. I'm with Bucks - poor playand LB development led to the change.

Steel Maniac
03-05-2019, 02:49 PM
This started with Bruce Arians autobiography. Arians claimed Porter called out Ben at a team meeting in his second year about being a better teammate and nice to the fans. Arians said Porter used some harsh language. It apparently embarrassed Ben and he has admitted to despising Porter back then.

But Porter was on the staff from 2014 - 2018. I doubt something that happened back in 2005 suddenly made a difference after 5 years coaching on the team. I'm with Bucks - poor playand LB development led to the change.

I vaguely remember that but I don't think this had any bearing on Porter getting dismissed. Porter cut his own throat by instigating fights Stirring stuff up by having the offensive players get after the defensive players for not pulling it's weight. That and the poor development of LB's is what did in porter.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-05-2019, 04:59 PM
I vaguely remember that but I don't think this had any bearing on Porter getting dismissed. Porter cut his own throat by instigating fights Stirring stuff up by having the offensive players get after the defensive players for not pulling it's weight. That and the poor development of LB's is what did in porter.

I don't buy the whole "Porter was trying to fracture the locker room" narrative that was reported once. On a winning team it's a case of friendly rivalry. On a losing team it's bad blood. Porter was one of the coaches out on the field checking on AB during the infamous Cincy playoff game incident. He didn't suddenly change how he operates by trying to divide the team, more like suddenly losing happened and fingers started pointing.

pittpete
03-05-2019, 06:02 PM
More media fake news...

Steel Maniac
03-05-2019, 06:54 PM
I don't buy the whole "Porter was trying to fracture the locker room" narrative that was reported once. On a winning team it's a case of friendly rivalry. On a losing team it's bad blood. Porter was one of the coaches out on the field checking on AB during the infamous Cincy playoff game incident. He didn't suddenly change how he operates by trying to divide the team, more like suddenly losing happened and fingers started pointing.

Well, it doesn't matter. He's gone.

squidkid
03-05-2019, 07:03 PM
lol..................yup rooney, we arent a circus