PDA

View Full Version : Draft Prospects to keep an eye on

steelerkeylargo
02-10-2019, 03:02 PM
As we all get ready for the Combine and draft season, here are some guys that as Steelers fans I feel we should keep our eyes on. While by no means a comprehensive list, these guys are a good start.

Day one---Based only on current 1/20 pick

Devin Bush-ILB-Michigan
Greedy Williams-CB-LSU
Deandre Baker-CB-Georgia
Byron Murphy-CB-Washington
Jaylon Ferguson-Edge-LA Tech
Cody Ford-OL-Oklahoma

Day Two-

Rock Ya Sin-CB-Temple
Chase Winovich-OLB-Michigan
Julian Love-CB-ND
TJ Edwards-ILB-Wisconsin
David Montgomery-RB-Iowa St
David Sills-WR-WVU
Vosean Joseph-ILB-Florida
Kendall Sheffield-CB-OSU
Collin Johson-WR-Texas
Dru Samia-OG-OU

Day 3 Guys-

Rodney Anderson-RB-OU
Bryce Love-RB-Stanford
Kendall Joseph-LB- Clemson
Ben Powers-OG-OU
Mike Weber-RB-OSU
Andy Isabella-WR-UMASS
Lil Jordan Humphrey-WR-Texas

steeler_george
02-10-2019, 05:51 PM
Are these just players who you think the Steelers might take or players you like?

No S or TE? ...Yeah... I am on my TE kick again, although Mcdonald played well last year, he still drops too many passs and is still injury prone. Maybe I miss a TE like Health, and disappointed in the Ladarious year...

steelerkeylargo
02-10-2019, 07:35 PM
Are these just players who you think the Steelers might take or players you like?

No S or TE? ...Yeah... I am on my TE kick again, although Mcdonald played well last year, he still drops too many passs and is still injury prone. Maybe I miss a TE like Health, and disappointed in the Ladarious year...

Players I like that fit what the Steelers do and look for. The TE class is very top heavy. I think they will look to resign JJ and bring in a young guy as #3. Maybe a gut like Orndorff who is playing in the AAF. I don't see S a priority either. Edmunds and Davis will start. Allen will be in the backup mix and they will sign a veteran guy or bring back Dangerfield for depth. Unless they make a run at a guy like Weddle or Mathieu should they become available.

SidSmythe
02-10-2019, 08:25 PM
A lot depends on the AB saga.
He moves and looking at a weapon at TE becomes a priority.

One of our defensive needs (CB, ILB and OLB) MUST BE addressed in FA.

NorthCoast
02-10-2019, 09:36 PM
Let me ask the question, was the offense really the problem last season? The Steelers were #5 in the NFL in pts/gm. Every team in the top 10 were in the playoffs except for PIT and ATL. PIT was #16 in pts/gm allowed, and ATL was #25.

Why are we talking drafting offense in the first two rounds? Look at the defense. Haden is a year older, Burns is toasted. Burnett is likely not resigned, and Dupree may not return if he decides he doesn't want a pay cut. This team needs defensive help. I wouldn't look at offense unless an absolute gamechanger fell in the Steelers lap.

steelerkeylargo
02-10-2019, 09:51 PM
A lot depends on the AB saga.
He moves and looking at a weapon at TE becomes a priority.

One of our defensive needs (CB, ILB and OLB) MUST BE addressed in FA.

I disagree. If AB goes WR becomes a priority. No TE in college (or in the NFL for that matter) would replace what AB can do

steelerkeylargo
02-10-2019, 09:54 PM
Let me ask the question, was the offense really the problem last season? The Steelers were #5 in the NFL in pts/gm. Every team in the top 10 were in the playoffs except for PIT and ATL. PIT was #16 in pts/gm allowed, and ATL was #25.

Why are we talking drafting offense in the first two rounds? Look at the defense. Haden is a year older, Burns is toasted. Burnett is likely not resigned, and Dupree may not return if he decides he doesn't want a pay cut. This team needs defensive help. I wouldn't look at offense unless an absolute gamechanger fell in the Steelers lap.

Agreed. AB leaving could change that but as of now. NO

Sager
02-10-2019, 10:37 PM
Even if AB leaves, the offense can redefine itself drafting Fant or Hockenson and signing one of Golden Tate or Terrelle Pryor (or both and then not need a TE!)

steelerkeylargo
02-10-2019, 10:50 PM
Even if AB leaves, the offense can redefine itself drafting Fant or Hockenson and signing one of Golden Tate or Terrelle Pryor (or both and then not need a TE!)

This team cannot afford to spend a 1st round pick on a TE in hopes of reworking an offense around a position that has never been a focal point in Ben Roethlisbergers career. Terrelle Pryor didn't even play in the NFL last year. While i'd like to bring him aboard he would be no better than a #3 WR. The team needs Defense early and often. We have a fine TE in McDonald.

NorthCoast
02-10-2019, 11:35 PM
This guy wrote what is considered the seminal study for modern day NFL draft strategy:

In 2005, University of Pennsylvania professor Cade Massey and University of Chicago professor Richard Thaler (who would later be awarded the Nobel Prize) published a paper called “Overconfidence vs. Market Efficiency in the National Football League,” which argued that top draft picks are overrated and that trading back for more picks is almost always the right decision. The instant reaction to their findings was not positive, Massey told me: “I met an NFL owner at a cocktail thing, he was all with me, and as soon as I started talking about trading back, he couldn’t hear anything else. He thought I was a complete idiot.”

Baker Mayfield and Freddie Kitchens Have Revitalized the Browns Offense
The idea of trading back has since become widely accepted. Bill Belichick is credited with popularizing the idea in the NFL, and the Browns have recently used it to help stockpile the assets needed to build one of the best young rosters in the league.

steelerkeylargo
02-11-2019, 10:11 AM
This guy wrote what is considered the seminal study for modern day NFL draft strategy:

Not sure what you're saying here. The two ideas are counter intuitive. It doesn't matter where you draft. Just pick the right guys.

steeler_george
02-11-2019, 04:38 PM
I can't wait for the offseason to kick in...

We can go so many ways this year, as ways I trust Colbert to cover all the weakness, going into the draft, so we can go in so many directions.

With White and Wilson projected to go before #20, I can see where we can go with the BPA in position of need on the D, which is CB... and all those players look so perfect for us.

Chadman
02-12-2019, 05:04 PM
SKL, thoughts on Germaine Pratt out of N.C. State?

Chadman was interested in Debo at WR, but he looks way too much like James Washington to want to invest. Best getting a different type of WR, IMO.

When Demaryius Thomas becomes free, if reasonably healthy, is he a good replacement for AB?

hawaiiansteel
02-12-2019, 05:23 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=W8RGHWjMCc0

steeler_george
02-12-2019, 07:52 PM
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/2/12/18219346/2019-nfl-draft-the-top-10-ilbs-before-the-nfl-scouting-combine-devin-bush-mack-wilson-devin-white

Interesting read ranking the ILB in the draft, first I seen ranking like this..

Oviedo
02-12-2019, 08:22 PM
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/2/12/18219346/2019-nfl-draft-the-top-10-ilbs-before-the-nfl-scouting-combine-devin-bush-mack-wilson-devin-white

Interesting read ranking the ILB in the draft, first I seen ranking like this..

Id take an ILB in rounds 1 and 4. We have just "Joes" there now and need massive talent infusion

steeler_george
02-12-2019, 08:31 PM
Id take an ILB in rounds 1 and 4. We have just "Joes" there now and need massive talent infusion

I admit, I flip flop on draft picks... flavour of the week...

But I think I had a post saying I wanted 2 ILB with our first 3 draft picks ( 1 pick was from AB trade)

Steel Maniac
02-12-2019, 11:44 PM

But I think I had a post saying I wanted 2 ILB with our first 3 draft picks ( 1 pick was from AB trade)

I’m with you....

Disco1981
02-13-2019, 03:55 AM

Me thinks...We will get ONE in FA...Then we will only need ONE in the draft...And if we can get say, a low 1st for AB....We can go in so ma y directions with our other 2 picks that are still left in the 1st 3 rds.....CB/WR/ OLB/ TE...

Then we can go BPA, instead of reaching for a certain position

MeetJoeGreene
02-13-2019, 09:00 AM
Greedy, rock ya, and lil Jordan would be my "all name" picks.

NorthCoast
02-13-2019, 09:18 AM
Not sure what you're saying here. The two ideas are counter intuitive. It doesn't matter where you draft. Just pick the right guys.

The point his work makes is that teams should stockpile picks given the uncertainty in any given pick. More picks increases chances of a hit, and teams can stockpile by trading down. A team also benefits from reduced contract values with later picks.

Steel Maniac
02-13-2019, 11:23 AM
Me thinks...We will get ONE in FA...Then we will only need ONE in the draft...And if we can get say, a low 1st for AB....We can go in so ma y directions with our other 2 picks that are still left in the 1st 3 rds.....CB/WR/ OLB/ TE...

Then we can go BPA, instead of reaching for a certain position

We need to hit on our first 3 picks. Colbert is really going to have to dig down deep and get it right this year. No more reaches either; We need to restock our talent base. And for God sake, can we just use some free agency cash and go sign Tre Boston?

RuthlessBurgher
02-13-2019, 12:39 PM
Greedy, rock ya, and lil Jordan would be my "all name" picks.

Hingle McCringleberry
Tyroil Smoochie-Wallace
Javaris Jamar Javarison-Lamar
Xmus Jaxon Flaxon-Waxon
Saggitariutt Jefferspin
Ozamataz Buckshank
Shakiraquan T.G.I.F. Carter
Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
T.J. A.J. R.J. Backslashinfourth V

Northern_Blitz
02-13-2019, 02:22 PM
The point his work makes is that teams should stockpile picks given the uncertainty in any given pick. More picks increases chances of a hit, and teams can stockpile by trading down. A team also benefits from reduced contract values with later picks.

Yep, accumulate as many lottery tickets as you can.

I really like how the Pats get other GMs (who are afraid to lose their jobs) to trade future first round picks. Just about every team is one key injury away from picking in the top half of the first round.

steelerkeylargo
02-13-2019, 04:11 PM

The Browns had tons of picks for years. Couldn't hit to save their lives. Took the chance on Mayfield and hit a HR. The Pats have stockpiled picks for years and their drafting is mixed at best. Belicheck certainly coaches better than he drafts. It doesn't matter where you are drafting. You just need to pick the right players.

pittpete
02-13-2019, 04:29 PM
While i think Mayfield is an athlete, lets see what he does his sophomore year before we annoint him the next Tom Brady....LOL

RuthlessBurgher
02-13-2019, 04:50 PM
The Browns had tons of picks for years. Couldn't hit to save their lives. Took the chance on Mayfield and hit a HR. The Pats have stockpiled picks for years and their drafting is mixed at best. Belicheck certainly coaches better than he drafts. It doesn't matter where you are drafting. You just need to pick the right players.

Yup...Cleveland brought in their Moneyball guy and tried their hand at his New England draft strategy model.

They traded back multiple times in 2016 and 2017 when they still did not have even a decent QB. New England could get away with this because they already had their franchise QB.

They could have used the #2 overall pick in 2016 to take Carson Wentz. But they traded back twice and ended up with a package featuring bust WR Corey Coleman at #15 instead.

They could have used the #1 overall pick in 2017 on Mitchell Trubisky or Patrick Mahomes. But they used it on DE Myles Garrett instead.

They could have used the #12 overall pick in 2017 on Deshaun Watson. But they traded back and ended up with a package featuring S Jabrill Peppers at #25 instead.

It's only when they hired a new competent GM and stopped trading back premium picks that they finally landed a potential franchise in Baker Mayfield.

steeler_george
02-13-2019, 04:53 PM
This year might be the year where Colbert trades back. We have so many holes to fill this year and next year. It might be a good year to do it as well, some of the mocks have the top 3 CB falling past 20, the ILB grouping is heavy in the 2nd round, WR are going to drop due to the draft being defensive top heavy, same for the running backs, and there are 3 TE who have a 1st round grade.

If we get a 1st or a high 2nd for AB, this might be an exciting draft for us... moving up and down.

I am taking walter's football from 20- mid 2nd.

players after 20 :
Polite dt
Hockenson te
BAker cb
Greedy cb
Murphy cb
Janathan Abram s
Bush ilb
Wilson ilb
Feurgonsondt
Dexter LAwrence dt
Metcalf wr
Deancb
Amani cb
Lindstromg
Dillard t
irv smith TE
Fant TE

player

steelerkeylargo
02-13-2019, 04:54 PM

Chadman was interested in Debo at WR, but he looks way too much like James Washington to want to invest. Best getting a different type of WR, IMO.

When Demaryius Thomas becomes free, if reasonably healthy, is he a good replacement for AB?

I like Pratt. I think he is in that end of the 3rd round discussion. He plays a little upright. He reminds me of another former NC ST LB named Nate Irving who played a few years in the league for Colts and Bronco's. Ill be interested to see how he tests at combine on 40 and agility drills.

I think Thomas is shot. Wouldn't touch him for anything but veteran minimum. Don't see him being ready till at least week 10.

tiproast
02-13-2019, 05:33 PM
The Pats have stockpiled picks for years and their drafting is mixed at best. Belicheck certainly coaches better than he drafts.
I agree that Belichick coaches better than he drafts.

I disagree that his results are mixed. I think he does pretty well with his picks, but he does even better coaching them up.

He's usually drafting at the bottom of every round and doesn't have access to top-10 players. There's a reason there aren't any Aaron Donald or Saquon Barkley type players on the Patriots - those guys are long gone before Belichick picks.

The majority of the starters on this year's team were either Belichick draft picks or were acquired via a trade of a draft pick (e.g. Trent Brown) or trade of drafted player (Jacoby Brissett was traded for Phillip Dorsett).

Here's a link to the Patriots starting lineup for Super Bowl LIII:
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/super-bowl-2019-starters-key-players-start-time-tv-channel-free-live-stream-for-patriots-vs-rams/

The only starter on offense who was signed as a free agent is Chris Hogan.

On defense, the free agents are Lawrence Guy and Stephon Gilmore ( Jason McCourty and Van Noy were draft-pick trades).

Special teamers Gostkowski and Matthew Slater were draft picks. Ryan Allen (P) and Brandon King (heir apparent to Slater) were UDFAs.

steelerkeylargo
02-13-2019, 10:58 PM
I agree that Belichick coaches better than he drafts.

I disagree that his results are mixed. I think he does pretty well with his picks, but he does even better coaching them up.

He's usually drafting at the bottom of every round and doesn't have access to top-10 players. There's a reason there aren't any Aaron Donald or Saquon Barkley type players on the Patriots - those guys are long gone before Belichick picks.

The majority of the starters on this year's team were either Belichick draft picks or were acquired via a trade of a draft pick (e.g. Trent Brown) or trade of drafted player (Jacoby Brissett was traded for Phillip Dorsett).

Here's a link to the Patriots starting lineup for Super Bowl LIII:
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/super-bowl-2019-starters-key-players-start-time-tv-channel-free-live-stream-for-patriots-vs-rams/

The only starter on offense who was signed as a free agent is Chris Hogan.

On defense, the free agents are Lawrence Guy and Stephon Gilmore ( Jason McCourty and Van Noy were draft-pick trades).

Special teamers Gostkowski and Matthew Slater were draft picks. Ryan Allen (P) and Brandon King (heir apparent to Slater) were UDFAs.

Players drafted in rounds 1-3 in the past 10 years who haven't done jack
Duke Dawson
Derrick Rivers
Antonio Garcia
Cyrus Jones
Vincent Valentine
Jordan Richards
Geno Grissom
Dominique Easly
Aaron Dobson
Tavon Wilson
Jake Bequette
Ras-I Dowling
Stevan Ridley
Ryan Mallett
Jermaine Cunningham
Taylor Price
Ron Brace
Tyrone McKenzie

Northern_Blitz
02-14-2019, 06:17 AM
Duke Dawson
Derrick Rivers
Antonio Garcia
Cyrus Jones
Vincent Valentine
Jordan Richards
Geno Grissom
Dominique Easly
Aaron Dobson
Tavon Wilson
Jake Bequette
Ras-I Dowling
Stevan Ridley
Ryan Mallett
Jermaine Cunningham
Taylor Price
Ron Brace
Tyrone McKenzie

I wonder how their hit rate compares to the historical hit rate of the (low) first round picks they have.

I think drafting is like picking individual stocks. I think a very, very small number of people can actually do it repeatably and most people who look good have essentially flipped heads a bunch of times in a row.

To me, it seems like the Pats get this and they try to get as many picks as they can. That way they'd have more hits (and more misses) than other teams (usually at the price of trading vets who are declining or are probably about to decline).

tiproast
02-14-2019, 08:14 AM
Duke Dawson
Derrick Rivers
Antonio Garcia
Cyrus Jones
Vincent Valentine
Jordan Richards
Geno Grissom
Dominique Easly
Aaron Dobson
Tavon Wilson
Jake Bequette
Ras-I Dowling
Stevan Ridley
Ryan Mallett
Jermaine Cunningham
Taylor Price
Ron Brace
Tyrone McKenzie
Good list.

I think it's a little early to label Duke Dawson a failure - he came off of IR late in the season and couldn't get on the field. But I think that says more about the state of the Patriots secondary at the end of the year than his quality as a player.

steelguin
02-14-2019, 03:39 PM
Players I like that fit what the Steelers do and look for. The TE class is very top heavy. I think they will look to resign JJ and bring in a young guy as #3. Maybe a gut like Orndorff who is playing in the AAF. I don't see S a priority either. Edmunds and Davis will start. Allen will be in the backup mix and they will sign a veteran guy or bring back Dangerfield for depth. Unless they make a run at a guy like Weddle or Mathieu should they become available.

I read that Weddle said he will hang it up before playing anywhere else.
He also said he wont shave until the Chargers win the Superbowl when he was here in SD

steelerkeylargo
02-14-2019, 03:46 PM
Good list.

I think it's a little early to label Duke Dawson a failure - he came off of IR late in the season and couldn't get on the field. But I think that says more about the state of the Patriots secondary at the end of the year than his quality as a player.

Other than a couple of those guys, almost all were graded late round or UDFA types. Like I said, Bill should stick to coaching, not drafting.

tiproast
02-14-2019, 03:54 PM
Other than a couple of those guys, almost all were graded late round or UDFA types. Like I said, Bill should stick to coaching, not drafting.
Honest question: Who do you think is superior at drafting?

steelerkeylargo
02-14-2019, 04:48 PM
Honest question: Who do you think is superior at drafting?

Over the same past 10 year time frame I would list these organizations near the top. In no particular order

Seahawks
Chiefs
Ravens
Eagles
Falcons
Vikings
Cardinals
Steelers
Chargers

I would put the patriots no better than middle of the pack considering the amount of picks they have had.

tiproast
02-14-2019, 05:25 PM
Over the same past 10 year time frame I would list these organizations near the top. In no particular order

Seahawks
Chiefs
Ravens
Eagles
Falcons
Vikings
Cardinals
Steelers
Chargers

I would put the patriots no better than middle of the pack considering the amount of picks they have had.
Interesting.

Here are the number of Pro Bowl selections for the teams you listed over the last 10 years ( 2009-2018 ):

Seahawks: 45
Chiefs: 47
Ravens: 51
Eagles: 47
Falcons: 37
Vikings: 49
Cardinals: 42
Steelers: 48
Chargers: 31

The Patriots over that time span have had 57 Pro Bowl selections.

I didn't go through to see how many of each team's pro bowl selections were players that were initially drafted by that team. And maybe Pro Bowl selections isn't the best metric, but it was easy to do.

hawaiiansteel
02-14-2019, 05:51 PM

but isn't trading down and accumulating more picks a drafting strategy?

Northern_Blitz
02-14-2019, 06:01 PM
Interesting.

Here are the number of Pro Bowl selections for the teams you listed over the last 10 years ( 2009-2018 ):

I didn't go through to see how many of each team's pro bowl selections were players that were initially drafted by that team. And maybe Pro Bowl selections isn't the best metric, but it was easy to do.

This is why it's important to look at actual data instead of going with our gut feelings.

Interesting that the Pats and the Steelers have done well despite consistently having late draft picks.

steelerkeylargo
02-14-2019, 08:03 PM
Interesting.

Terrible metric as you have guys like Bradyy, Moss, Vince Wilfork, Bruschi and Richard Seymour (to name a few ) who weren't drafted in past 10 years but made Pro Bowls in that span,

steelerkeylargo
02-14-2019, 08:19 PM
Terrible metric as you have guys like Bradyy, Moss, Vince Wilfork, Bruschi and Richard Seymour (to name a few ) who weren't drafted in past 10 years but made Pro Bowls in that span,

24 of said 57 Pro Bowls were either Players drafted by other teams or before the 10 year window

tiproast
02-14-2019, 08:25 PM
I didn't ascribe to Belichick's total those Pro Bowls made by Patriots draft choices who were no longer with the Patriots. So the Pro Bowls made by Seymour and Asante Samuel balance out the Pro Bowls made by players on the Patriots but not drafted by Belichick (Brian Winters and Darrell Revis are the only ones I can think of).

Moss didn't make the Pro Bowl in 2009 or 2010. Bruschi retired after the 2008 season.

It was you that decided on the 10 year interval - if we're discussing Belichick's drafting prowess, then why should we exclude players drafted by him that made the Pro Bowl?

Edit: I included Welker's Pro Bowls in Belichick's totals because Belichick traded draft picks to get Welker. The whole concept of draft picks is to use them to acquire players.

steelerkeylargo
02-14-2019, 08:32 PM
I didn't include Pro Bowls made by Patriots draft choices who were no longer with the Patriots. So the Pro Bowls made by Seymour and Asante Samuel balance out the Pro Bowls made by players on the Patriots but not drafted by Belichick (Brian Winters and Darrell Revis are the only ones I can think of).

It was you that decided on the 10 year interval - if we're discussing Belichick's drafting prowess, then why should we exclude players drafted by him that made the Pro Bowl?

I am not saying you did count their pro bowls after they moved on, just as i'm sure you didn't for any of the other teams. As far as the interval. Scott Pioli was in charge of the Patriots drafts up until Bill ran him out in 2009. Therefore the 10 year window is accurate. BTW out of the Steelers 48 PB appearances in that same 10 year span 41 were homegrown.

tiproast
02-14-2019, 08:40 PM
I am not saying you did count their pro bowls after they moved on, just as i'm sure you didn't for any of the other teams. As far as the interval. Scott Pioli was in charge of the Patriots drafts up until Bill ran him out in 2009. Therefore the 10 year window is accurate. BTW out of the Steelers 48 PB appearances in that same 10 year span 41 were homegrown.

Thanks for doing the additional research. I've enjoyed the discussion.

hawaiiansteel
02-14-2019, 09:46 PM
Thanks for doing the additional research. I've enjoyed the discussion.

you're a good guy tiproast, wish everyone on message boards had your attitude! :Cheers

steelerkeylargo
02-15-2019, 12:24 AM
you're a good guy tiproast, wish everyone on message boards had your attitude! :Cheers

agreed! as it should be

SteelerOfDeVille
02-18-2019, 03:01 PM
This year might be the year where Colbert trades back. We have so many holes to fill this year and next year. It might be a good year to do it as well, some of the mocks have the top 3 CB falling past 20, the ILB grouping is heavy in the 2nd round, WR are going to drop due to the draft being defensive top heavy, same for the running backs, and there are 3 TE who have a 1st round grade.

If we get a 1st or a high 2nd for AB, this might be an exciting draft for us... moving up and down.

I am taking walter's football from 20- mid 2nd.

players after 20 :
Polite dt
Hockenson te
BAker cb
Greedy cb
Murphy cb
Janathan Abram s
Bush ilb
Wilson ilb
Feurgonsondt
Dexter LAwrence dt
Metcalf wr
Deancb
Amani cb
Lindstromg
Dillard t
irv smith TE
Fant TE

player
If Polite's there, I'd be good with him. A number of mocks have him going top 15... Also like both ILB (Mack over Bush for me... )