PDA

View Full Version : Someone's FO views

steeler_george
01-23-2019, 03:16 PM
I am not sure if this is permitted, but I like how this "Weegie T" breaks down how our off season should be outlined.

https://a.disquscdn.com/1544735374/images/noavatar92.png (https://disqus.com/by/weegiet/)
Weegie T (https://disqus.com/by/weegiet/) • 16 hours ago (https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/steelers-2019-salary-cap-update-early-offseason-business-look-and-projections/#comment-4302592677)I look for them to make these particular moves:
1.Extend Ben. Probably a 3/$90M or 4/$116M deal with a $40M signing bonus. His 2019 cap number will come down, possibly as low as $15.2M thus creating $8M in cap space.
2.Trade AB. It's all but a lock at this point. I think the surprise, to most fans at least, will be what they get in return. It may not be the blockbuster many assume. Watch out for SF or ARIZ to get him for their high 2nd (2-36 and 2-33 respectively) and their high 4th ( they'd get the 1st pick of day 3 if it's ARIZ).
3.Release Burnett. Give him his wish while clearing over $3.6M cap space.
4.Tender RFA Finney. The only ? is wether he gets the $2M no draft pick tender, or the $3.1M 2nd round pick tender. Steelers usually go the cheaper route, but unless they're definitely resigning Foster, the $3.1M 2nd round would ensure he stays and would be cheap for a starting LG.
5.Extend Pouncey. That's probably already been negotiated by Ben ("I won't sign unless you extend 53"). Look for him to get something like a 4/$44M deal with a big signing bonus of $20-24M. That deal could clear up as much as $4M in '19 cap space.
6.Sign Hilton and Feiler to ERFA deals. They (the players) really don't have much choice, plus Feiler will likely be the RT and Hilton the nickleback again.
These moves will net around $13-14M in additional cap space (depending on which tender they give Finney). Bringing the total to around $33-34M. That means they probably have over $25M available to go shopping with in FA. I'll project some possibilities below...

https://a.disquscdn.com/1544735374/images/noavatar92.png (https://disqus.com/by/weegiet/)
Weegie T (https://disqus.com/by/weegiet/) Weegie T (https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/steelers-2019-salary-cap-update-early-offseason-business-look-and-projections/#comment-4302592677) • 16 hours ago (https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/steelers-2019-salary-cap-update-early-offseason-business-look-and-projections/#comment-4302626718)Some hypothetical FA signings that make sense...
1.ILB/S Deone Buchannon He's the nicklebacker they're looking for and will replace Burnett. I think he can be had on a reasonable deal in the 3/$18M range including $6M bonus. I'd project his '19 cap around $5M. Still over $20M left to spend...
2CB Bradley Roby. Drafting a CB just seems too risky given their track record. Bringing in a guy like Roby to pair with Haden solidifies that position and allows DBs to be more aggressive. He won't come cheap as it will likely require something in the 4/$52-56M range including a bonus that could be $16-20M. His '19 cap number would likely be similar to Haden's ($11.9M). Still have over $8M to spend.
3.WR Tyrell Williams, John Brown , or Donte Moncrief. Some feel they will just draft a WR to replace AB. However, they have Washington as that young guy with JuJu taking over as #1. I think they might go for a vet to take some pressure off. All three can be nice deep threats with Brown (who was once called a poor man's AB) the blazer (and maybe best fit) of the 3. Any of them should be had for the $8M '19 cap or less, but you certainly don't want to overpay either.

RuthlessBurgher
01-23-2019, 04:28 PM
Weegie Thompson is the tall receiver that Ben has been asking for throughout his career! ;)

Some quality insights here. My original thoughts involving the possiblilty of trading AB to Arizona would have been for Patrick Peterson, but if the Cards aren't willing to part with Pat Pete, then the first pick on day two of the draft and the first pick on day three of the draft would be an interesting haul to consider.

After making our regular pick at #20 overall, we'd go home Thursday night knowing that we had the pick of the litter when the draft re-opens on Friday to choose our one favorite BPA who surprisingly slipped out of the first round.

We'd also be able to field calls from all of the other interested teams who might be willing to part a bounty of picks worth more than full market value for 2.33 to take the one guy they love who surprisingly fell out of round one.

And then the same scenario would play out on Friday night into Saturday with the first pick in round 4 as well. Very interesting indeed.

papillon
01-23-2019, 05:17 PM
Right now, I'm not a fan of draft picks and I know the Steelers covet draft picks. Ben's window is 2-3 years, he'll be 40 at that point (if he even wants to play that long, I don't see him being as driven as Brady). The Steelers need known commodities to win right now, meaning 2019, 2020 and 2021 (maybe). Draft picks, even 1st round or high 2nd round picks are a gamble and even if the players selected work out they probably won't make an impact in the next 2-3 years that puts the team in the Super Bowl. If I can't get players for AB, then I try and reconcile with him and keep him on the team, trading for picks would be my last option.

Pappy

steeler_george
01-23-2019, 05:35 PM
Weegie Thompson is the tall receiver that Ben has been asking for throughout his career! ;)

Some quality insights here. My original thoughts involving the possiblilty of trading AB to Arizona would have been for Patrick Peterson, but if the Cards aren't willing to part with Pat Pete, then the first pick on day two of the draft and the first pick on day three of the draft would be an interesting haul to consider.

After making our regular pick at #20 overall, we'd go home Thursday night knowing that we had the pick of the litter when the draft re-opens on Friday to choose our one favorite BPA who surprisingly slipped out of the first round.

We'd also be able to field calls from all of the other interested teams who might be willing to part a bounty of picks worth more than full market value for 2.33 to take the one guy they love who surprisingly fell out of round one.

And then the same scenario would play out on Friday night into Saturday with the first pick in round 4 as well. Very interesting indeed.

Hey Ruth, I skipped that part about AB all together, considering there is about 100 moves we can probably propose for AB.
But does sound intriguing especially if Murray slides to the second and there is a rush to get him.

What got my attention, was the OL and contracts to Feiller, Finney, and Pouncey ( cap savings this year to resign Foster).

Maybe I am reading too much into this...

What do they do with Finney? Do they trade him ( I assume Munchak and Denver would be interested) for a 3rd/4th and keep a younger cheaper Feiller, who can slide over to guard? ( Some suggest he will be a better guard.) If they trade Finney do they resign Foster, and keep Feiller as the jack-of-all-trades on the line like Esex.

And is going to be our RT, look at the camp battle for RT, is it that wide open? Gilbert, Feiller, Okufor (spelling), Hawkins, and Banner...

steeler_george
01-23-2019, 05:42 PM
Right now, I'm not a fan of draft picks and I know the Steelers covet draft picks. Ben's window is 2-3 years, he'll be 40 at that point (if he even wants to play that long, I don't see him being as driven as Brady). The Steelers need known commodities to win right now, meaning 2019, 2020 and 2021 (maybe). Draft picks, even 1st round or high 2nd round picks are a gamble and even if the players selected work out they probably won't make an impact in the next 2-3 years that puts the team in the Super Bowl. If I can't get players for AB, then I try and reconcile with him and keep him on the team, trading for picks would be my last option.

Pappy

I think you have a point, but just say we had the AB fiasco last year, and we traded for picks and one of those picks became Leonard.

Starlifter
01-23-2019, 06:10 PM

Pappy

totally agree with this. Was really bummed to see Larry F signed for another year in arizona. Would have loved to bring him home on a 2 year deal.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-23-2019, 06:24 PM
2.Trade AB. It's all but a lock at this point. I think the surprise, to most fans at least, will be what they get in return. It may not be the blockbuster many assume. Watch out for SF or ARIZ to get him for their high 2nd (2-36 and 2-33 respectively) and their high 4th ( they'd get the 1st pick of day 3 if it's ARIZ).
I would push so hard for Patrick Peterson on this. I don't even want the pick because I also think it'll be a #2... and Frankly, I think it would be hard to find a guy at #36 as good as Peterson will be for the next 3-4 years.

Been meaning to do a "DeVille Does DeOffseason" 2019 edition, but, just haven't had time. But, that is my big move. Not a pick, but, a player. I'm going all in for a 2020 ring while we still got Ben for another season or two

papillon
01-23-2019, 09:17 PM
I think you have a point, but just say we had the AB fiasco last year, and we traded for picks and one of those picks became Leonard.

I'm not sure who Leonard is but my point is that a draft pick is a risk, even a very high draft pick (Ryan Leaf, Vince Young, Tony Mandarich, etal), imo, the Steelers need to build for the next three years. Even with all the turmoil, the Steelers still beat the Pats, had the Saints on the ropes save for a fumble by a guy who hadn't put the ball on the ground all year, lost to KC by 4 or 5, had the Chargers beat, etc, you know the drill. The team isn't that far from running deep into the playoffs as long as Ben is playing. A cornerback would be my 1st option, an OLB would be my second and ILB would be my third, well, maybe ILB 2nd and OLB 3rd. An impact player on defense, AB on another team (sadly) and I believe the Steelers compete for the trophy.

Pappy

Iron City Inc.
01-23-2019, 09:22 PM
I do not have a problem NOT getting a 1 for AB. However a 2 n 4 even early 2 n 4 seems a bit light 2 me. He goes 90 1200 10 I would be one to add a performance clause n if he hit that we should get a sweetener. A 5th in 20 for example but that's just me.

Oviedo
01-23-2019, 10:49 PM
I'm not sure who Leonard is but my point is that a draft pick is a risk, even a very high draft pick (Ryan Leaf, Vince Young, Tony Mandarich, etal), imo, the Steelers need to build for the next three years. Even with all the turmoil, the Steelers still beat the Pats, had the Saints on the ropes save for a fumble by a guy who hadn't put the ball on the ground all year, lost to KC by 4 or 5, had the Chargers beat, etc, you know the drill. The team isn't that far from running deep into the playoffs as long as Ben is playing. A cornerback would be my 1st option, an OLB would be my second and ILB would be my third, well, maybe ILB 2nd and OLB 3rd. An impact player on defense, AB on another team (sadly) and I believe the Steelers compete for the trophy.

Pappy

Regardless of how factual your statements may be, the message needs to be we are falling apart, the sky is falling, we can't win with this coach (even though he has the second highest win % in the league), we can't draft players, we don't know how to sign free agents, the Rooneys don't care as much or know as much as fans so they should sell the team.

You get the idea!!!!

Ernie
01-24-2019, 07:31 AM

Pappy

good point.

steeler_george
01-24-2019, 03:47 PM
I would push so hard for Patrick Peterson on this. I don't even want the pick because I also think it'll be a #2... and Frankly, I think it would be hard to find a guy at #36 as good as Peterson will be for the next 3-4 years.

Been meaning to do a "DeVille Does DeOffseason" 2019 edition, but, just haven't had time. But, that is my big move. Not a pick, but, a player. I'm going all in for a 2020 ring while we still got Ben for another season or two

The more I hear Peterson's name, the more I am all in on taking him.

steeler_george
01-24-2019, 03:49 PM
I'm not sure who Leonard is but my point is that a draft pick is a risk, even a very high draft pick (Ryan Leaf, Vince Young, Tony Mandarich, etal), imo, the Steelers need to build for the next three years.
Pappy

Maybe I spelled it wrong, that ILB for Indy.... top of the second round.

Steel Maniac
01-25-2019, 09:33 AM
AB for Peterson would be the best thing overall for us. I’d love to do it but I think we are pipe dreaming. Let’s hope.