PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison said a lot...

SteelCrazy
01-15-2019, 06:09 PM
https://youtu.be/JsZWDCVnTqE

Tomlin needs to let his assistants coach or Tomlin needs to be fired.

pittpete
01-15-2019, 06:20 PM
Millionaire babies

Buzz
01-15-2019, 06:33 PM
He says Tomlin is really the one who has been running the defense, and that's why you're not seeing any real change in the defensive coaching staff.

While I don't appreciate the way JH has handled his business, I do think he's speaking the truth here.

Buzz
01-15-2019, 06:36 PM
Harrison said some other interesting stuff between this interview and his spot on Cowherd's show ... he said that the Patriots practice outside in the winter to acclimatize for the games, even in crappy conditions, and that gives them an edge. Makes sense to me.

SidSmythe
01-15-2019, 06:44 PM
I love how he answered "Why'd he let PEEZY go?"

Steel Maniac
01-15-2019, 07:13 PM
Sid, Buzz the TBW will get after you two if you keep saying stuff like that. I"m just saying. Just because Harrison is making sense, and did talk about the undisciplined ways of Tomlin A YEAR AGO before all these things happened, you can't approve of Harrison; you just can't! :smile:

Northern_Blitz
01-15-2019, 07:51 PM
Agree that the comments on Tomlin are rough.

What do you guys think of the comments re Ben? Sharpe seemed to think Ben was the biggest problem.

hawaiiansteel
01-15-2019, 07:57 PM

What do you guys think of the comments re Ben? Sharpe seemed to think Ben was the biggest problem.

Sharpe will always side with the WR...

Steel Maniac
01-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Sharpe didn’t play on the team.

NorthCoast
01-15-2019, 08:05 PM
Yes and no... if I felt my job was being threatened because my team wasn't performing, I think I would be a lot more involved. If I feel I have a strong staff, I would let them do their job.

Buzz
01-15-2019, 08:19 PM

Sharpe tried to get Harrison to say that, but Harrison wouldn't. I found that interesting.

Buzz
01-15-2019, 08:22 PM
Yes and no... if I felt my job was being threatened because my team wasn't performing, I think I would be a lot more involved. If I feel I have a strong staff, I would let them do their job.

According to what JH said, Tomlin has been very involved with the D for some time ... sounds like he's never really let Butler be the D-coordinator, but assumed many of those duties himself (even before Tomlin might have "felt his job was being threatened").

steelz09
01-15-2019, 08:57 PM
More of the same.

The more this became Tomlin's team, the more out of control things have gotten. He's simply a fraud and has lost the team. Additionally, his "speciality" is the weakest link on the team. His team has underperformed as Harrison stated in a very PC way.

In a way, I agree with Sharpe... Ben needs to stop throwing his teammates under the bus on a radio show. That is a dick move. He needs to stop with the, I'm a gun slinger so I'll make bad decisions and throw as many INTs as I want because I earned the right attitude. That's BS and it needs to stop immediately. It has cost us games. That is definitely part of the problem and AB has a right to be upset.

NorthCoast
01-15-2019, 09:09 PM
More of the same.

The more this became Tomlin's team, the more out of control things have gotten. He's simply a fraud and has lost the team. Additionally, his "speciality" is the weakest link on the team. His team has underperformed as Harrison stated in a very PC way.

In a way, I agree with Sharpe... Ben needs to stop throwing his teammates under the bus on a radio show. That is a dick move. He needs to stop with the, I'm a gun slinger so I'll make bad decisions and throw as many INTs as I want because I earned the right attitude. That's BS and it needs to stop immediately. It has cost us games. That is definitely part of the problem and AB has a right to be upset.Agreed with the radio show comments and add that it would be best for the team if Roethlisberger would cancel it completely. Not sure who is entertained by it...

On the INTs, there is a fine line between being aggressive and being sloppy. I posted previously that according to nextgen stats Roethlisberger was only average in 'aggressive passing' rate. This means that passes were simply bad (or WR ran the wrong route or ball slipped through their hands). Unless Roethlisberger's play is flawless, he needs to stay quiet about others (I think that's in the Bible somewhere....something about casting a stone....).

fordfixer
01-15-2019, 09:36 PM
I get the feeling that Sharpe just doesn’t care for Ben.:D

SteelBucks
01-15-2019, 09:45 PM
Harrison is getting more airtime in retirement than he did during his entire playing career.

This offseason already sucks. I’m looking forward to the post Brown and Bell days and the start of camp.

Ghost
01-16-2019, 09:03 AM
Lots to unpack…

Hosts: Skip – this guy is an ass-clown of the highest order. He’s a genuinely bad person who will lie to get a rise out of people. He cares little for facts and truth. Makes my skin crawl. And Sharp is so biased against Ben it’s laughable. His complete inability to be objective renders anything that comes out of his mouth suspect. He does himself a disservice by not reviewing situations in their entirety.

Ben disrespects AB (what???): Great take accept that it ignores (because it would hurt their narrative) that AB has 6 seasons in a row of 1000+ yards and 100+ catches (7 out of 9 with 100 + yards). Also, he was actually targeted more times this season than Ju Ju (168 to 166). Brown had 185 yards against the Saints. Is that Ben ignoring him? Add in Brown being a Pro Bowler 6 times & a 1st team All-Pro 4 times and it sure doesn’t sound like Ben isn’t taking great care of him.

WHOLE lot of blame shifting going on here. Don’t get me wrong, Ben has ownership in this sh!t show but outside a small mention of the Facebook – locker room situation there’s no mention whatsoever of AB’s culpability in all this. Or his diva like actions over many season. Guess we’re just going to ignore him faking an injury for the last game of the season when the playoffs were on the line (realistically the Steelers were 1 Baker Mayfield good second down pass away from the Browns having an easy FG for the win). Brown is 30. At what age should he be held responsible for his own actions? He flat out quit on the team that made him famous and to date has paid him a hair under $70 Million.

Defense – no one should be surprised about Harrison’s comments about Tomlin and the D. I’ve posted here about the NE TD (no Steeler was within 25 yards of the WR) and how Tomlin admitted at the press conference he missed getting the call in because he was arguing with the official about a previous play. There are 3 Steelers beat reporters at the Post-Gazette. All three have weekly chat sessions. This entire season (almost on a weekly basis) all three have consistently said Tomlin is running the D as much or more so than Butler. It’s been out there all year and JH just confirmed it. Doesn’t sound as if he’s letting his Coordinator coordinate.

JH said, “ Great coaches take good players and make them Great”. I believe this is true. While there are certainly deficiencies in certain spots, this team woefully underperformed this season. They looked flat out unprepared in multiple games. That shouldn’t happen.

flippy
01-16-2019, 09:20 AM
Harrison seems pretty calm and matter of fact. I feel like there's truth in his words. Tomlin just isn't a great coach. There's nothing more to it.

Tomlin's a problem. AB is a problem. And Ben is a problem.

How about as a solution we package all 3 of them and trade them together to Buffalo?

I think the root of everything is Ben wanted weapons on offense and we got them for him. And he should have just wanted the team to get him a defense and carry the O as best he could. Last SuperBowl he won, his WRs were Hines, ARE, and Cedrick. His OLine couldn't block for him. But it didn't matter because we played good defense and had stars on that side of the field.

Mick'sTeam
01-16-2019, 09:59 AM
First SB he won was with Hines, ARE and Cedrick Wilson. The 2nd SB he won was with Hines, Santonio & Nate Washington I believe. Either way - Flippy - your point holds true.

SteelBucks
01-16-2019, 10:25 AM
Bruce Arians weighed in. He said AB is a hard worker but also said “too much diva”. I know this isn’t a shocking revelation but it seems like everyone has an opinion of what’s going on in Pittsburgh.

squidkid
01-16-2019, 10:30 AM
Bruce Arians weighed in. He said AB is a hard worker but also said “too much diva”. I know this isn’t a shocking revelation but it seems like everyone has an opinion of what’s going on in Pittsburgh.

and except for a few tomlin fans on here, there are all saying he is at fault................

SidSmythe
01-16-2019, 10:54 AM
Shannon Sharpe is a big mouth who simply speculates here - it's his job!!

I'm really starting to think AB is pissed that JUJU got the MVP - which is utter BS - Brown clearly is the reason this offense scores whether he gets the ball or not.
Trade AB and this offense better become a RUN Dominant offense.
Having said that - AB has handled this situation all wrong. It never hurts to take the high road.

Prediction: Unless the NINERS offer a Hershel Walker like trade.... AB will be on the Steelers next year and catch 120 balls for 20 TDs while JUJU (don't get me wrong, huge JuJu fan as a man and a player) gets his scraps.

Steelhere10
01-16-2019, 11:06 AM
Lots to unpack…

Hosts: Skip – this guy is an ass-clown of the highest order. He’s a genuinely bad person who will lie to get a rise out of people. He cares little for facts and truth. Makes my skin crawl. And Sharp is so biased against Ben it’s laughable. His complete inability to be objective renders anything that comes out of his mouth suspect. He does himself a disservice by not reviewing situations in their entirety.

Ben disrespects AB (what???): Great take accept that it ignores (because it would hurt their narrative) that AB has 6 seasons in a row of 1000+ yards and 100+ catches (7 out of 9 with 100 + yards). Also, he was actually targeted more times this season than Ju Ju (168 to 166). Brown had 185 yards against the Saints. Is that Ben ignoring him? Add in Brown being a Pro Bowler 6 times & a 1st team All-Pro 4 times and it sure doesn’t sound like Ben isn’t taking great care of him.

WHOLE lot of blame shifting going on here. Don’t get me wrong, Ben has ownership in this sh!t show but outside a small mention of the Facebook – locker room situation there’s no mention whatsoever of AB’s culpability in all this. Or his diva like actions over many season. Guess we’re just going to ignore him faking an injury for the last game of the season when the playoffs were on the line (realistically the Steelers were 1 Baker Mayfield good second down pass away from the Browns having an easy FG for the win). Brown is 30. At what age should he be held responsible for his own actions? He flat out quit on the team that made him famous and to date has paid him a hair under $70 Million.

Defense – no one should be surprised about Harrison’s comments about Tomlin and the D. I’ve posted here about the NE TD (no Steeler was within 25 yards of the WR) and how Tomlin admitted at the press conference he missed getting the call in because he was arguing with the official about a previous play. There are 3 Steelers beat reporters at the Post-Gazette. All three have weekly chat sessions. This entire season (almost on a weekly basis) all three have consistently said Tomlin is running the D as much or more so than Butler. It’s been out there all year and JH just confirmed it. Doesn’t sound as if he’s letting his Coordinator coordinate.

JH said, “ Great coaches take good players and make them Great”. I believe this is true. While there are certainly deficiencies in certain spots, this team woefully underperformed this season. They looked flat out unprepared in multiple games. That shouldn’t happen.

Cannot deny the negative impact Ben Roethlisberger had on team chemistry in 2018

He may not be to blame for the situation the Steelers find themselves in with Antonio Brown, but Big Ben has been far from the perfect teammate this season.

By Simon Chester@SimonAChester Jan 15, 2019, 10:06am EST

Philip G. Pavely-USA TODAY Sports

If it was not already clear from all the reports published by both the national and local media over the past few weeks - Antonio Brown is the devil. An that honor was once the sole preserve of Le’Veon Bell around Pittsburgh, now appears to belong to AB.

In light of his end of season dramatics, that is any easy storyline to get on board with and it is impossible to offer any reasonable defense of Brown’s actions adequately excusing what he did. However, barring a number high draft picks in return for a trade, there can be little question that the Pittsburgh Steelers will be better served with him on the roster when the 2019 regular season begins.

An agreement to continue their working relationship would naturally need to come with certain assurances on the part of Brown, most likely requiring a lengthy conversation with senior management to convince them of his sincerity. But regardless if he is to remain with the team, a change in behaviour cannot simply be limited to AB next season.

Continuing to overlook the negative impact Ben Roethlisberger has on team chemistry is not helping this franchise, a trend that was initially born out of his actions away from the field. As the years have progressed, it has often been his mouth that has caused the team more harm than anything else he has done, and 2018 was a vintage season in that regard.

It is no secret that Roethlisberger struggled with the mantle of leadership early on in his career and that his ego was allowed to grow unchecked after winning his first Super Bowl. More than enough has been written over the years detailing the legal issues Big Ben became embroiled in and the suspension that followed in 2010.

As a young quarterback, he would clash with veteran wide receiver Hines Ward and anger his coach with misleading injury reports, later acknowledging he had been far from the perfect teammate in an article by Dan Pompei of Bleacher Report.

“I’d be the first to admit I wasn’t a good teammate early in my career. There are some guys who had animosity towards me, and probably rightfully so. I probably could have helped that by being a humble guy who was the best teammate I could be.”

Issues Emmanuel Sanders would once again allude to in a recent television appearance aired over the weeked.

But as much as that article from 2015 would suggest Roethlisberger was a changed man, it is clear from some aspect of his behavior in 2018 that Big Ben is far from the finished product.

From making the team’s third round draft pick feel as unwelcome as possible just days after he was selected, to missing OTA’s because of a family holiday while rest of the team trained (with the exception of Brown), Roethlisberger was far from the leader you would expect for a player of his stature.

Critical of Le’Veon Bell for missing OTA’s in 2017, Big Ben’s decision to take a vacation just as they begun in June was not only hypocritical, but also directly responsible for the absence of AB. With Brown’s sudden disappearance starting the day after Roethlisberger missed his first day of practice, it was appeared obvious he believed that what was acceptable for his quarterback was more than good enough for him.

James Washington was the latest in a long list of wide receivers to be thrown under the bus by Roethlisberger this year, joining names like Martavis Bryant, Sammie Coates, Cobi Hamilton and of course Brown in that regard over the past few seasons alone.

In the six years since he started his weekly radio show, it has become a must listen to event more for the possibility that Big Ben will say something inappropriate than any of the other insights he will offer. And while he is far from the only quarterback in the league to have his own show, he is undeniably the only one who continually makes national headlines because of it.

Given far too much leeway by the front office both on and off the field, it would be fair to say that Roethlisberger does not always set the best example for his younger teammates. Now seemingly provided a sympathetic offensive coordinator willing to let him throw the ball at will, despite leading the NFL in interceptions, it would be understandable if some of his teammates thought he was getting special treatment.

While some of his interception were directly responsible for a number of the losses the Steelers suffered in 2018, no one on the coaching staff did anything but support him publicly. A policy followed by the rest of the players on the roster. But when the shoe was on the other foot, Roethlisberger was not always so forgiving.

There can be no denying that Big Ben can be as critical of himself in public as he is on others, but he is also willing to give himself a break at the expense of others. It was interesting to note that of all the people he blamed for his game clinching interception against the Denver Broncos, the list somehow included Brown, Ramon Foster and Randy Fichtner and then him.

If the Steelers are to offer Roethlisberger an extension during the offseason, the two sides need to have a serious conversation about what they expect from a team leader going forward. In the twilight of his career, Big Ben needs to make the most of the of talent around him if he wants to have any hope of adding a third Super Bowl title to his resume, and it can only be hoped that he can be made to see that his style of leadership is not exactly working with all of his teammates.

Roethlisberger may believe in his right to criticise his teammates publicly, but it is clear from the responses of many former and current players around the league that they would not accept his tough-love approach. With that in mind, It should perhaps come as no surprise to learn that Cam Newton was the only quarterback NFL players would least like to have as a teammate than Big Ben, according to a poll conducted by The Athletic of 85 defensive players from 25 different teams.

Unlike Brown, nothing Roethlisberger did this season year left him a mountain to climb in terms of repairing any relationships with his team, but if he could at least be convinced to give up his radio show and keep his remarks in house, his teammates would be sure to welcome it.

Northern_Blitz
01-16-2019, 11:10 AM
and except for a few tomlin fans on here, there are all saying he is at fault................

I think I'd rate the blame as something like
90% AB
6% Tomlin
3% Ben
1% other

There's blame to go around, but the vast majority of it has to fall on the guy who quit on his team.

squidkid
01-16-2019, 11:13 AM
90% AB
6% Tomlin
3% Ben
1% other

There's blame to go around, but the vast majority of it has to fall on the guy who quit on his team.

maybe the AB situation but those numbers are way off if you are talking about the team culture, accountibilty and under achieving

Oviedo
01-16-2019, 11:38 AM
90% AB
6% Tomlin
3% Ben
1% other

That's probably about right

squidkid
01-16-2019, 12:32 PM
Harrison is getting more airtime in retirement than he did during his entire playing career.

This offseason already sucks. I’m looking forward to the post Brown and Bell days and the start of camp.

success will be post tomlin

Northern_Blitz
01-16-2019, 12:47 PM
success will be post tomlin

If your right, that's probably post Ben too.

squidkid
01-16-2019, 12:57 PM
If your right, that's probably post Ben too.

i will be right. just like ive been right about tomlin for several years now

NorthCoast
01-16-2019, 01:35 PM
Tomlin is responsible for the team failings but he is not fully at fault.

There is a difference.

squidkid
01-16-2019, 01:41 PM
Tomlin is responsible for the team failings but he is not fully at fault.

There is a difference.

agreed, not fully, but mostly

Northern_Blitz
01-16-2019, 02:54 PM
agreed, not fully, but mostly

I think it depends on the specific issues.

Something like not having a plan after a ~ 5 minute review in the Pats game last year seems to be on the coahces.

Something like a TE making an impulsive decision to try to truck a guy at the 1 and fumbling (when he could have just avoided the contact all together) seems to be on the players.

Something like a kicker getting the yips seems to be on the will of the Football Gods.

I think we'd expect some of these things to get better because they are more random (like fumbles). You might flip heads four times in a row. But in 1000 flips, you'd expect to be close to 500:500. I think there is no way we have as many fumbles next year as we did this year).

Some of these things we'd expect to continue without specifically addressing them. Strategic use of time outs is the one that gets me. But, I think this is something that's much harder in real-life when there are real consequences to you personally and you're making decisions in real-time. It seems to me that most NFL coaches don't do this well (which is why I'd like an analytics guy to be in the booth giving real time feedback to Tomlin on timeout usage).

I know that a lot of people make a big deal about the challenges. But, I think coaches challenges matter much less now that all the things that you'd really want to challenge are done automatically (all scoring plays and all turnovers).

squidkid
01-16-2019, 03:46 PM
I think it depends on the specific issues.

Something like not having a plan after a ~ 5 minute review in the Pats game last year seems to be on the coahces.

Something like a TE making an impulsive decision to try to truck a guy at the 1 and fumbling (when he could have just avoided the contact all together) seems to be on the players.

Something like a kicker getting the yips seems to be on the will of the Football Gods.

I think we'd expect some of these things to get better because they are more random (like fumbles). You might flip heads four times in a row. But in 1000 flips, you'd expect to be close to 500:500. I think there is no way we have as many fumbles next year as we did this year).

Some of these things we'd expect to continue without specifically addressing them. Strategic use of time outs is the one that gets me. But, I think this is something that's much harder in real-life when there are real consequences to you personally and you're making decisions in real-time. It seems to me that most NFL coaches don't do this well (which is why I'd like an analytics guy to be in the booth giving real time feedback to Tomlin on timeout usage).

I know that a lot of people make a big deal about the challenges. But, I think coaches challenges matter much less now that all the things that you'd really want to challenge are done automatically (all scoring plays and all turnovers).

TE ws an idiot, no doubt. seems like the coaches can tell these guys to carry the ball with the outside arm or tell them to avoid contact. hey, how about this. tell them if they chose not to do those things, they will be released or sent down to the practice squad until they learn............thats accountability.

maybe cut the kicker after he cost us a few games? maybe go for 2 when you know he is struggling. remember how cool you and tomlin thought he was a few years ago when he was doing it for no good reason?

the attitude of this team is its biggest weakness and that isnt gonna change or equal out by not doing anyhting to address it.

flippy
01-16-2019, 03:56 PM
90% AB
6% Tomlin
3% Ben
1% other

I'd go:

96% Tomlin's Gut
1% Tomlin
1% Ben
1% AB
1% Other

Northern_Blitz
01-16-2019, 04:10 PM
I'd go:

96% Tomlin's Gut
1% Tomlin
1% Ben
1% AB
1% Other

AB says your assigning him way to much blame here. He throws down whatever beverages are in the near vacinity and storms off while huffing as passive aggressively as possible

flippy
01-16-2019, 04:23 PM
AB says your assigning him way to much blame here. He throws down whatever beverages are in the near vacinity and storms off while huffing as passive aggressively as possible

Surprisingly, he still hasn't called me back :)

hawaiiansteel
01-16-2019, 04:31 PM
I'd go:

96% Tomlin's Gut
1% Tomlin
1% Ben
1% AB
1% Other

yeah, Tomlin's gut is definitely a weak link...

Iron Shiek
01-16-2019, 05:00 PM
i will be right. just like ive been right about tomlin for several years now

Painted into a corner, you are. Tomlin gets fired and we win a Super Bowl the next year you will be right AND wrong, maybe that is how you like it though. He's fired/we win SB means you are right he is the problem but we will be winning with Tomlin's players since Tomlin won with Cowher's players?

You type alot of words that don't mean anything. :tt2

squidkid
01-16-2019, 06:42 PM
Painted into a corner, you are. Tomlin gets fired and we win a Super Bowl the next year you will be right AND wrong, maybe that is how you like it though. He's fired/we win SB means you are right he is the problem but we will be winning with Tomlin's players since Tomlin won with Cowher's players?

ill take my chances.
its better than the tomlin fans that want him to stay because he was successful 10 years ago in the post season

Sugar
01-16-2019, 07:31 PM
It brings a smile to my face that nobody with any actual ties to the Steelers as an organization have hinted, implied, inferred, mentioned or whispered that Mike Tomlin's "seat" is even mildly toasty, let alone "scorching." Yet so many of you whine and whine and whine about the HC. Beautiful.

squidkid
01-16-2019, 08:30 PM
It brings a smile to my face that nobody with any actual ties to the Steelers as an organization have hinted, implied, inferred, mentioned or whispered that Mike Tomlin's "seat" is even mildly toasty, let alone "scorching." Yet so many of you whine and whine and whine about the HC. Beautiful.

seeing that 8-10 nfl coaches get fired every year, how many of those guys did you hear were on the hot seat from someone in their organization?
besides, what does one have to do with the other?
SMH..hilarious

Buzz
01-16-2019, 08:33 PM
nobody with any actual ties to the Steelers as an organization have hinted, implied, inferred, mentioned or whispered that Mike Tomlin's "seat" is even mildly toasty, let alone "scorching."

This is true, and exposes a huge problem, IMO ... there is a real lack of a sense of urgency with this team, and I'm afraid that goes higher than Tomlin. You can trace it all the way to Art Rooney. When old man Dan gave up control of the team, we lost a heckuva lot more than we realized at the time.

squidkid
01-16-2019, 08:41 PM
FYI, if you cant read the writing on the wall after rooneys conference today, you arent that bright

NorthCoast
01-16-2019, 08:46 PM

That's gotta be the funniest thing I've read in a long...

LOL

Northern_Blitz
01-17-2019, 06:14 AM
This is true, and exposes a huge problem, IMO ... there is a real lack of a sense of urgency with this team, and I'm afraid that goes higher than Tomlin. You can trace it all the way to Art Rooney. When old man Dan gave up control of the team, we lost a heckuva lot more than we realized at the time.

I think urgency is a crappy way to do business.

You let someone do the job to the best of their abilities. If they don't make it, you fire them.

Telling them you might fire them if they don't hit a certain milestone sets up perverse incentives.

I think people have said that Tomlin's contract is up next season. They won't have to fire him if they don't want to keep him. And he clearly knows when his contract ends.

Ernie
01-17-2019, 07:31 AM
I think urgency is a crappy way to do business.

You let someone do the job to the best of their abilities. If they don't make it, you fire them.

Telling them you might fire them if they don't hit a certain milestone sets up perverse incentives.

I think people have said that Tomlin's contract is up next season. They won't have to fire him if they don't want to keep him. And he clearly knows when his contract ends.

That last statement is a really good point. No use for the Rooney's to even say it. Tomlin knows what's at stake. The truth of the matter is... another team (finishing below 13th in # of playoff wins the last 8 years) will jump at the chance to land him. He won't stay unemployed long, despite his shortcomings.

Oviedo
01-17-2019, 09:36 AM

Why is it a problem? Because the people who are closest to the team and have the most real knowledge and data aren't overreacting like internet divas are--armed with hearsay, second and third hand reports and the "click bait" from media talking heads?

We folks on the "Planet" need to be realistic about what we really know and recognize it is less than those who are actually employed by the team.

ART II isn't running this team any different than it has been from the beginning. They value continuity and consistency. There is reason that we have won more games than any team since the AFL-NFL merger. They didn't fire Noll during the underwhelming 80s. They didn't fire Cowher after consecutive losing seasons in the late 90s. They are going to fire Tomlin who has never delivered a losing season to his employers because we missed the playoffs and were two field goals and an extra point away from 12 wins.

Steel Maniac
01-17-2019, 01:34 PM
That last statement is a really good point. No use for the Rooney's to even say it. Tomlin knows what's at stake. The truth of the matter is... another team (finishing below 13th in # of playoff wins the last 8 years) will jump at the chance to land him. He won't stay unemployed long, despite his shortcomings.

Ernie, just because someone may give Tomlin a contract after we can him doesn't justify him as a coach. Jim Caldwell got a job after he left Indy. Didn't mean he was a great coach. Just means that we have a "good old boy" recycle system in the NFL that has long been complained about.

Hue Jackson got a job after he left the Raiders; didn't mean he was a good coach. Just because a coach gets a second, third chance doesn't justify him as a good coach.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-17-2019, 01:44 PM
is it too late to point out that all the playoff troubles began with the firing of Arians? (and subsequent hiring of Todd Haley).

It only took Cleveland a handful of games to fire Todd Haley - and we make fun of their incompetence.

Sugar
01-17-2019, 02:13 PM
Why is it a problem? Because the people who are closest to the team and have the most real knowledge and data aren't overreacting like internet divas are--armed with hearsay, second and third hand reports and the "click bait" from media talking heads?

We folks on the "Planet" need to be realistic about what we really know and recognize it is less than those who are actually employed by the team.

ART II isn't running this team any different than it has been from the beginning. They value continuity and consistency. There is reason that we have won more games than any team since the AFL-NFL merger. They didn't fire Noll during the underwhelming 80s. They didn't fire Cowher after consecutive losing seasons in the late 90s. They are going to fire Tomlin who has never delivered a losing season to his employers because we missed the playoffs and were two field goals and an extra point away from 12 wins.

Pretty much this. It's still a little fun to see everyone freaking out when they are getting spoonfed media reports designed to get views more than to truly educate.

Oviedo
01-17-2019, 03:26 PM

I really hope they extend Tomlin this off season, even if for one year, just to laugh at the over the top, hysterical responses by his haters on this board. That would make the off season entertaining

Steel Maniac
01-17-2019, 04:13 PM
I really hope they extend Tomlin this off season, even if for one year, just to laugh at the over the top, hysterical responses by his haters on this board. That would make the off season entertaining

But if they don't extend him, then what does that mean? What message does that send to the ball washers of Tomlin?

** Watch Oviedo say, "it doesn't mean anything in regards to the job he's doing if they don't extend him" But from what he said above, if they extend him that means he's doing a good job. :rolleyes:

You can't have it both ways Oviedo. :rolleyes:

Sugar
01-17-2019, 04:47 PM

That would be great. Of course, I'd like to see Tomlin extended because I think he's one of the best in the business. Watching meltdowns would just make it a little more fun.

squidkid
01-17-2019, 05:38 PM
That would be great. Of course, I'd like to see Tomlin extended because I think he's one of the best in the business. Watching meltdowns would just make it a little more fun.

i enjoy making fun of the tomlin lovers at the end of the season because he failed again.

Steelerphile
01-17-2019, 06:04 PM
James Harrison's comments are overly harsh about Tomlin, because James is MAD over how he was handled his last year with the Steelers. James is a grumpy, mean-spirited man (who always appears to be mad) and I don't think forgiveness is a prominent word in his vocabulary. I agree with James that he was mishandled. The Steelers should have played him or released him sooner. But now that he didn't get to play, he is on the warpath and the main target of his wrath is Tomlin.

I wish that James could move on but he may carry this burden of resentment for the rest of his life. There is something James could do and I think he should pursue, is getting into action movies and playing bad guys. With the perma-scowl and the muscle bound physique, Dwayne Johnson should enlist him to appear in his next action movie. There should be a scene where an extra is dressed up to resemble Tomlin, and Harrison just goes off and beats the crap out of him. That may be would get this out of his system.

squidkid
01-17-2019, 06:08 PM
James Harrison's comments are overly harsh about Tomlin, because James is MAD over how he was handled his last year with the Steelers. James is a grumpy, mean-spirited man (who always appears to be mad) and I don't think forgiveness is a prominent word in his vocabulary. I agree with James that he was mishandled. The Steelers should have played him or released him sooner. But now that he didn't get to play, he is on the warpath and the main target of his wrath is Tomlin.

I wish that James could move on but he may carry this burden of resentment for the rest of his life. There is something James could do and I think he should pursue, is getting into action movies and playing bad guys. With the perma-scowl and the muscle bound physique, Dwayne Johnson should enlist him to appear in his next action movie. There should be a scene where an extra is dressed up to resemble Tomlin, and Harrison just goes off and beats the crap out of him. That may be would get this out of his system.

eh, why use an extra?

pittpete
01-17-2019, 07:03 PM
i enjoy making fun of the tomlin lovers at the end of the season because he failed again.

Tomlin didn't fail, it was the players;)

RuthlessBurgher
01-17-2019, 07:07 PM
It's odd that Harrison seems preoccupied with his last few months with Tomlin that left a sour taste in his mouth. Tomlin is the guy who gave him a chance in this league. He developed from a raw UDFA to an NFL Defensive Player of the Year under Tomlin. Yeah, he came to Pittsburgh originally under Cowher, but Cowher cut him multiple times and he never really got the chance to show what he can do until Tomlin was hired. I feel sorry for folks who cannot be thankful for a solid decade of success together but rather are overly bitter about one singlular experience at the end.

pittpete
01-17-2019, 07:09 PM
I didn't think Harrison looked or sounded disgruntled.
Dam when people speak their mind they don't always have to have an agenda...

Steelerphile
01-17-2019, 07:56 PM
He is refined enough when he speaks on camera to not sputter with rage and and sound heated, but I think that residual anger does motivate this. I believe some of the stories of his behavior when he was still with the Steelers, and it was bad, but he wouldn't act that way on camera.

Northern_Blitz
01-17-2019, 08:13 PM
But if they don't extend him, then what does that mean? What message does that send to the ball washers of Tomlin?

** Watch Oviedo say, "it doesn't mean anything in regards to the job he's doing if they don't extend him" But from what he said above, if they extend him that means he's doing a good job. :rolleyes:

You can't have it both ways Oviedo. :rolleyes:

Seems clear that they'd let him go in the case he doesn't meet some bar.

In that case, I'd expect him to be let go if we missed the playoffs for any reason other than maybe significant injury to Ben

Northern_Blitz
01-17-2019, 08:29 PM
Tomlin didn't fail, it was the players;)

Depends on the failure mode

Ernie
01-17-2019, 08:52 PM
Ernie, just because someone may give Tomlin a contract after we can him doesn't justify him as a coach. Jim Caldwell got a job after he left Indy. Didn't mean he was a great coach. Just means that we have a "good old boy" recycle system in the NFL that has long been complained about.

Hue Jackson got a job after he left the Raiders; didn't mean he was a good coach. Just because a coach gets a second, third chance doesn't justify him as a good coach.

Im not saying he's a good coach.. You should know me well enough by now to know that lol

NorthCoast
01-17-2019, 09:25 PM
Harrison's done a 180... just a few years ago he didn't want to see a camera, let alone be in front of one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTZ9mfTr_fM

Djfan
01-17-2019, 10:08 PM
I'd go:

96% Tomlin's Gut
1% Tomlin
1% Ben
1% AB
1% Other

Agreed. Unfortunately I think Tomlin stays as long a Ben does. What a waste.

Ghost got a lot of that long post correctly, too. Would love to see a culture change. Not counting on it. I'm counting on a return to the 80's Steelers.

Mr.wizard
01-24-2019, 08:40 AM

Tomlin is already justified as a coach.

Steel Maniac
01-25-2019, 09:42 AM
:rolleyes:

Starlifter
01-28-2019, 01:49 PM
I'd rather have a root canal than watch skip bayless and shannon sharpe. But one thing sharpe said I absolutely agree with:

'you need great players to be great leaders'.

the sad truth is on the steelers, we have/had several great players in recent years. But leaders?? nope. maybe Cam, but of our top 5 players - who is the true leader of the team? someone who commands respect - not given the C as ben was years ago (if memory serves) because it was embarrassing to the organization that the QB wasn't being selected.

Tomlin in my opinion is where the buck stops - but the simple fact to me is the steelers are a collection of individuals. Team with a leader? not so much.

RuthlessBurgher
01-28-2019, 03:00 PM
I'd rather have a root canal than watch skip bayless and shannon sharpe.

We agree there. And add in Colin Cowherd, who is the radio equivalent of those T.V. blowhards. I have no idea who their audience is, but I do not want to be their friend. ;)

Northern_Blitz
01-28-2019, 04:29 PM
We agree there. And add in Colin Cowherd, who is the radio equivalent of those T.V. blowhards. I have no idea who their audience is, but I do not want to be their friend. ;)

I hate all the talking head "news" shows where people scream for 6 minute segments, hit commercials, then scream about the same stuff for the next 6 minutes because you never know who just tuned in.

I wish it was only sports that followed that format.

Buzz
01-29-2019, 08:51 PM
I hate all the talking head "news" shows where people scream for 6 minute segments, hit commercials, then scream about the same stuff for the next 6 minutes because you never know who just tuned in.

Sounds quite a bit like this board, except for the commercials.