PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Rice says AB wants to go to 49ers

Oviedo
01-14-2019, 05:33 PM
Just read on ESPN. The question that I have is "didn't they give up a 1st to get Garropolo?" Do they have what we would want?

Rice also said AB wants the 49ers really, really bad

RuthlessBurgher
01-14-2019, 05:38 PM
SF gave up a 2018 2nd round pick for Garoppolo. They still have the 2nd overall pick in the 2019, plus the 34th overall pick.

Oviedo
01-14-2019, 05:50 PM
SF gave up a 2018 2nd round pick for Garoppolo. They still have the 2nd overall pick in the 2019, plus the 34th overall pick.

Thank you. The second overall pick would be very interesting. Given how strong this draft is for the defensive line you would have to seriously consider an elite, once in a decade type DL pick and potentially go to 4-3.

SidSmythe
01-14-2019, 05:53 PM
I'm starting to think AB is gay??

The Man of Steel
01-14-2019, 06:05 PM

https://youtu.be/oEIzkLr7JzQ
Your comment reminded me of this old wrestling promo.

SidSmythe
01-14-2019, 06:09 PM
https://youtu.be/oEIzkLr7JzQ
Your comment reminded me of this old wrestling promo.

HaHa!! Mean Gene, LoL

Steel Maniac
01-14-2019, 06:12 PM
Thank you. The second overall pick would be very interesting. Given how strong this draft is for the defensive line you would have to seriously consider an elite, once in a decade type DL pick and potentially go to 4-3.

I'd trade down a bit to # 4 and pick up a pick and take a stud OLB. But that's just me.

Buzz
01-14-2019, 06:14 PM

The kids he has sired testify something different.

Buzz
01-14-2019, 06:15 PM
Rice also said AB wants the 49ers really, really bad

Who cares what AB wants? I'd love to see him traded to the team he least wants to go to.

Northern_Blitz
01-14-2019, 07:35 PM

I think there is a 0% chance of AB getting us the 2nd overall pick. But, it would be absolutely amazing if he did.

Ghost
01-14-2019, 07:47 PM
Take it with a grain of salt but the NFL Network reported this weekend that the Steelers would be looking for a “second rounder plus”.

I’d take Patrick Peterson and a 2nd from Arizona.

Shawn
01-14-2019, 07:51 PM
Thank you. The second overall pick would be very interesting. Given how strong this draft is for the defensive line you would have to seriously consider an elite, once in a decade type DL pick and potentially go to 4-3.. If we draft that high and we pick a DLman, I would lose my mind. Dwayne Haskins Jr.-QB tOSU. Yes I’m a homer but I’ve never supported us drafting an OSU Qb. Haskins is the real deal. Pocket Qb but has ability to scramble. Effortless arm strength and crazy accuracy. Good decision maker. Strong leader. The guy is going to have a very successful NFL career.

Northern_Blitz
01-14-2019, 07:57 PM
. If we draft that high and we pick a DLman, I would lose my mind. Dwayne Haskins Jr.-QB tOSU. Yes I’m a homer but I’ve never supported us drafting an OSU Qb. Haskins is the real deal. Pocket Qb but has ability to scramble. Effortless arm strength and crazy accuracy. Good decision maker. Strong leader. The guy is going to have a very successful NFL career.

This. We won't get the 2nd pick in the draft.

But if we did, we should (1) trade Ben for what we can get, (2) draft a QB at 2, and (3) use other assets to draft defensive talent. Then, our window is open for the next 15-20 years.

Steel Maniac
01-14-2019, 08:17 PM
I like where your trying to go northern....

SteelBucks
01-14-2019, 09:52 PM
. If we draft that high and we pick a DLman, I would lose my mind. Dwayne Haskins Jr.-QB tOSU. Yes I’m a homer but I’ve never supported us drafting an OSU Qb. Haskins is the real deal. Pocket Qb but has ability to scramble. Effortless arm strength and crazy accuracy. Good decision maker. Strong leader. The guy is going to have a very successful NFL career.

Yes please. The accuracy is what surprised me. And to think I was worried that the Buckeye offense would struggle without Barrett. 50 TD passes later, I’m a believer.

SteelCrazy
01-15-2019, 09:30 AM
AB might get us the 2nd overall pick in the 2nd round.

Mick'sTeam
01-15-2019, 09:46 AM
What if we send AB & the 20th overall pick to SF for WR Dante Pettis and the #2 overall pick? Would SF make that trade?

Shawn
01-15-2019, 06:14 PM
I do not believe the Steelers will allow AB to dictate any of this. He has zero real control if he wishes to play football again. The Steelers are in control. They say where he goes. What will he do? Not play? AB will end up in Arizona. We will get a high second for him and wash our hands of him.

Shawn
01-15-2019, 06:15 PM
What if we send AB & the 20th overall pick to SF for WR Dante Pettis and the #2 overall pick? Would SF make that trade? I would do it without Pettis.

pittpete
01-15-2019, 06:26 PM
Just heard Jerry Rice on NFL Network..
He said "AB is the complete team player"

Steel Maniac
01-15-2019, 06:29 PM

Yeah, right. Ab is such a team player that when Juju got voted team Captain, AB lost his freakin mind.

Buzz
01-15-2019, 06:37 PM
AB is the complete team player as long as he gets to run the team.

hawaiiansteel
01-15-2019, 07:07 PM
AB is the complete team player as long as he gets to run the team.

and all of the passes come his way...

Ghost
01-15-2019, 09:21 PM

I heard Steve Mariucci say if he was still coaching he’d take Brown in a heartbeat. He reasoned AB just needed a change of scenery and would be a game changer.

Maybe be we get lucky, lots of teams feel this way, and a bidding war breaks our giving the Steelers a big haul.

Shawn
01-15-2019, 11:28 PM
I heard Steve Mariucci say if he was still coaching he’d take Brown in a heartbeat. He reasoned AB just needed a change is scenery and would be a game changer.

Maybe be we get lucky, lots of teams feel this way, and a bidding war breaks our giving the Steelers a big haul. Heard the same thing, hope other GMs agree.

Ernie
01-16-2019, 04:40 AM
I heard Steve Mariucci say if he was still coaching he’d take Brown in a heartbeat. He reasoned AB just needed a change is scenery and would be a game changer.

Maybe be we get lucky, lots of teams feel this way, and a bidding war breaks our giving the Steelers a big haul.

which is a passive way of suggesting that the scenery isn't all that pretty right now with the Steelers organization.

Northern_Blitz
01-16-2019, 02:22 PM
which is a passive way of suggesting that the scenery isn't all that pretty right now with the Steelers organization.

I think it's more about HC's being ego-maniacal. It's like how they all think they can bring in guys with off the field issues with drugs or violence and turn them into model team mates.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-16-2019, 02:58 PM
AB might get us the 2nd overall pick in the 2nd round.
this is actually true. cuz they aint giving up #2 for him. They'd give up the 2nd rounder plus maybe future pick...

Steel Maniac
01-16-2019, 07:25 PM
Brown fires back at Arians and Emanuel Sanders

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/antonio-brown-fires-back-at-diva-bruce-arians-gets-in-twitter-beef-with-emmanuel-sanders/

NorthCoast
01-16-2019, 07:31 PM

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/antonio-brown-fires-back-at-diva-bruce-arians-gets-in-twitter-beef-with-emmanuel-sanders/

Here we go. Let 're rip.....

Buzz
01-16-2019, 08:20 PM

You can probably cross Tampa and Denver off the list of teams who will trade for him.

Northern_Blitz
01-17-2019, 06:15 AM

A GIF representation of AB:

https://media.giphy.com/media/vGIZQcbUNmu5O/giphy.gif

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-17-2019, 10:34 AM
Highest Bidder non division.

AB doesn't have say on paper but....

Long story short...They will get together if this is the path. Permissions will be granted. ABs side has lots of "influence" to improve compensation so the highest bidder ends up being a team on the top of his list & one on the Steelers list. It is in best interest for both sides..."Good Business"...Sound Familiar?

RuthlessBurgher
01-25-2019, 04:29 PM
Antonio Brown wants out of Pittsburgh, according to “mentor” Terrell Owens

Posted by Mike Florio on January 25, 2019, 3:13 PM EST

Fourteen years after Hall of Fame receiver Terrell Owens engaged in a protracted standoff with the Philadelphia Eagles, another star receiver inches toward a showdown with the NFL franchise on the other side of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

And it’s becoming increasingly clear that, like T.O. in 2005, Antonio Brown wants to play for a new team.

Appearing on Friday’s #PFTPM podcast, Owens explained that he has spoken to Brown, and that Owens has been advising Brown regarding his situation. The content and context of Owens’ remarks indicate that Brown is ready to move on.

“I’ve talked with Antonio Bown throughout the course of year,” Owens said on Friday’s #PFTPM podcast. “And I’ve kind of known some of what has been going on. He’s leaned on me for advice, as somewhat of a mentor, so to speak. . . . I think with him, I think it’s a fresh start to go elsewhere and part ways with the organization and with some of the things than he and Ben have been confronted with.”

Brown’s wishes has been lost in the focus on the team’s wishes, which currently aren’t clear. From the player’s perspective, it’s clear. He’s ready for a change of scenery.

“Absolutely,” Owens said regarding whether he’s gotten the impression that Brown wants out of Pittsburgh. “He wants to move on. . . . I don’t like how Ben [Roethlisberger] has kind of thrown him under the bus in certain instances. . . . I think Ben owes him a lot more respect than he has given him. . . . I mean even from the standpoint of him saying he didn’t know anything about a blowup [at practice prior to Week 17] when he was part of the blowup.”

So where will Brown go?

“I talked to him on a couple of occasions, and I’m not hear to air anybody’s messages or . . . conversations, but he’s asked me how the Bay Area was on several occasions,” Owens said.

Hall of Fame receiver Jerry Rice previously has said that Brown wants to play for the 49ers. Owens seems to have confirmed it. With one key addition.

“You throw me in the mix somewhere down the road, hey, it could be a recipe for disaster,” Owens said.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/25/antonio-brown-wants-out-of-pittsburgh-according-to-mentor-terrell-owens/

Steel Maniac
01-25-2019, 04:32 PM
Mentor Terrell Owens????

Well that explains everything now.Its as good as over.

49ers, make the call; we can get compensation worked out before the combine.

RuthlessBurgher
01-25-2019, 04:34 PM
Mentor Terrell Owens????

We that explains everything now.

We should have known when he started going by AB just like Terrell Owens was always referred to as TO.

hawaiiansteel
01-25-2019, 04:39 PM
Owens explained that he has spoken to Brown, and that Owens has been advising Brown regarding his situation.

AB couldn't possibly have a better advisor ;)

steeler_george
01-25-2019, 04:54 PM
Would be funny if we trade AB for Kittle!

Steel Maniac
01-25-2019, 05:13 PM
We should have known when he started going by AB just like Terrell Owens was always referred to as TO.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaah. Wow..great detective work Ruth.

Steel Maniac
01-25-2019, 05:13 PM
Terrell Owens confirmed that Antonio Brown wants out of Pittsburgh.

The former wide receiver has been a mentor to AB and claims the two spoke often throughout Brown's tumultuous 2018 campaign. "He wants to move on," said Owens, who cited Brown's deteriorating relationship with Ben Roethlisberger as a source of tension. "I think Ben owes him a lot more respect than he has given him." Owens, who wore out his welcome at almost every stop in his NFL career, is an odd person to ask for advice, though apparently he's become a trusted resource for Brown. T.O. also noted that A.B. has inquired about San Francisco, where Owens spent the first eight seasons of his career, on "several occasions." Brown's ongoing saga will be one of the most compelling storylines of the offseason.
Source: ProFootballTalk on NBC Sports

Steel Maniac
01-25-2019, 05:17 PM
Terrell Owens has been whispering in AB's ear; starting his bullshlt. If I were any team going forward, I would ask my wide receivers to have no contact with Owens. And if I found out that they are, then it's time for me to make a secret plan up of moving that player on.

hawaiiansteel
01-25-2019, 05:26 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DxxFdyLWoAMrEN4.jpg

Northern_Blitz
01-25-2019, 05:45 PM
Terrell Owens has been whispering in AB's ear; starting his bullshlt. If I were any team going forward, I would ask my wide receivers to have no contact with Owens. And if I found out that they are, then it's time for me to make a secret plan up of moving that player on.

It's crazy that a WR would want to be mentored by TO after seeing how his attitude devalued his talent. He's a great example of what not to do.

steeler_george
01-26-2019, 11:53 AM
this is nuts... i still can't believe this, just when you think that there might be a slim chance of AB being forever forgiven by the Steelers (FO, Tomlin, teammates, and us) he goes and pulls this sh*t.

And all this SF talk, does SF actually want him?

Steel Maniac
01-26-2019, 01:24 PM
Seems so. Seems to be a lot of back door wining & dining by the 49ers in an indirect way.

Ernie
01-26-2019, 02:12 PM
Seems so. Seems to be a lot of back door wining & dining by the 49ers in an indirect way.

if true...that'd make at least 1team interested

SidSmythe
01-28-2019, 06:36 PM
if true...that'd make at least 1team interested

They willing to give up the #2 overall??

Ernie
01-28-2019, 07:16 PM
They willing to give up the #2 overall??

I doubt it. I'm hearing now that wed be darned lucky to get a 1st round pick for AB. It's looking more like a 2nd and some change

SidSmythe
01-30-2019, 03:58 PM
I doubt it. I'm hearing now that wed be darned lucky to get a 1st round pick for AB. It's looking more like a 2nd and some change

Amari Cooper drew a 1st round pick.....I'd take nothing less than a 1st and a 3rd

Northern_Blitz
01-30-2019, 04:25 PM

This. If SF gave up the #2 pick, I'd expect their fan base to burn down the city the next day.

That would be an insane overpay for a 30 year old WR (even one who'll likely get a yellow jacket).

pittpete
01-30-2019, 04:28 PM
Amari Cooper drew a 1st round pick.....I'd take nothing less than a 1st and a 3rd
Cooper is 6 years younger though and not an apparent coocoo bird:eek:

Captain Lemming
01-30-2019, 09:20 PM

Aint that the truth. Soon as I heard he was consulting TO Browns wackiness started to make sense.

steelz09
01-30-2019, 10:18 PM
If you lookup cancer, you should see a pic of Owens.

He's a self entitled scumbad that destroyed every locker room he walked in.

His HOF episode was a joke. He thought people actually cared that he didn't show up in canton for a speech.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-31-2019, 09:31 AM
AB wanting to go there may net us best deal. Pittsburgh controls the bus but AB & his agent do have some influence where they could sit. We all want to send him to a crappy team without a QB out of anger but the reality is it won't go down like that. Also..AB won't get us 49ers #2.

Minimum for me to 49ers? Their #36 and Moore/Witherspoon CB w/conditional 2020 4th that could be 3rd.

Northern_Blitz
01-31-2019, 11:09 AM
Aint that the truth. Soon as I heard he was consulting TO Browns wackiness started to make sense.

Yep.

In light of the apparent connection between AB and TO, does anyone still think that the 49ers would be interested (since that's the title of the thread). Seems like they've been burned by that stove already.

Northern_Blitz
01-31-2019, 11:10 AM
AB wanting to go there may net us best deal. Pittsburgh controls the bus but AB & his agent do have some influence where they could sit. We all want to send him to a crappy team without a QB out of anger but the reality is it won't go down like that. Also..AB won't get us 49ers #2.

Minimum for me to 49ers? Their #36 and Moore/Witherspoon CB w/conditional 2020 4th that could be 3rd.

If they end up making the decision out of spite for AB, I hope everyone in the FO gets fired.

NorthCoast
01-31-2019, 01:42 PM
If they end up making the decision out of spite for AB, I hope everyone in the FO gets fired.

I would hope the Steelers org is more business like than to carry a grudge into a negotiation. This is their chance to turn a huge negative into a huge positive.
If SF is a scratch, and the jets are a scratch due to Stonio deal, then the list is getting shorter.

Oviedo
01-31-2019, 01:48 PM

Leave Bettis aka "The Bus" out of this. The guy was a warrior and my second favorite Steeler of all time. AB doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence given his recent mental breakdown.

Northern_Blitz
01-31-2019, 02:10 PM
I would hope the Steelers org is more business like than to carry a grudge into a negotiation. This is their chance to turn a huge negative into a huge positive.
If SF is a scratch, and the jets are a scratch due to Stonio deal, then the list is getting shorter.

I agree that the Org will work to do what's best for the team over what's worst for AB.

Sadly, I don't see how this situation can be turned into a huge positive. I don't think anyone is going to overpay for AB the person/player, and I think we need an over-payment to even break even on the extra cap hit.

Maybe I'm being too pessimistic, but I feel like breaking even on the AB situation would be a huge win for the organization.

steeler_george
01-31-2019, 02:41 PM
I agree that the Org will work to do what's best for the team over what's worst for AB.

Sadly, I don't see how this situation can be turned into a huge positive. I don't think anyone is going to overpay for AB the person/player, and I think we need an over-payment to even break even on the extra cap hit.

Maybe I'm being too pessimistic, but I feel like breaking even on the AB situation would be a huge win for the organization.

Remind me again, It is has been a while looking at the cap hit of AB....

If we trade him, don't we pay the 21 million in his 2019, so doesn't the other team get him practivally free for one year? I may be wrong...

Northern_Blitz
01-31-2019, 02:52 PM
Remind me again, It is has been a while looking at the cap hit of AB....

If we trade him, don't we pay the 21 million in his 2019, so doesn't the other team get him practivally free for one year? I may be wrong...

Here's my understanding:
- We don't pay him his 2019 salary, so it doesn't hit our cap.
- All the remaining pro-rated signing bonus gets pulled into next year.
- His salary is ~ $1M more than the pro-rated signing bonus, so it's almost a wash (freeing up a bit of cap space)
- Our cap situation will be significantly worse than if we kept AB if we go to UFA to replace our 1WR (or our 2WR after moving JuJu up to 1WR).
- If you want to keep that "extra" $1M in cap space, you get worse at two positions by moving JuJu up to 1WR and Washington / Rogers to 2WR.

I guess the first point might make him more attractive in a trade because the team picking him up only has the monetary / cap hip of paying his annual salary. So, he'd probably be undermarket cap wise after a trade. But, that assumes that he doesn't lobby hard (read: pout, throw things, and tweet like crazy) for a new deal.

pittpete
01-31-2019, 04:27 PM

You mean this year bud

Northern_Blitz
01-31-2019, 08:34 PM

You mean this year bud

I don't think the new NFL year starts untill March.

We can't trade him until then because if the hit was pulled into this year's cap number we'd be way out of compliance.

SS Laser
01-31-2019, 09:01 PM
I am to lazy to look it up. But how I understand it, about 21mil hits the cap for 2019 if traded before his 2.5 mil roster bonus in march. Bells 14mil helps offset that as I understand it. Because if the new cap is say 190mil add Bells 14mil plus any other left over from last yrs cap. But there is other dead money also.
And the other team is on the hook for his normal salary about 13mil for next 3 seasons.
Everything waits till new league year for 2019 in march.
All this is why some say not much cap left to hit FA hard?
But that is not figuring Ben, Pouncy new contracts. And any cuts. Or other new contacts for any players.

pittpete
01-31-2019, 09:11 PM
I don't think the new NFL year starts untill March.

We can't trade him until then because if the hit was pulled into this year's cap number we'd be way out of compliance.

NFL year doesnt start to Mar 13th i think.

The accelerated signing bonus(x3) would count this year(2019)
His prorated signing bonus + salary counts against the cap so its a wash.
If they wait until Jun to trade him they can take whats left of the signing bonus(x2) towards next years(2020) cap

Steel Maniac
01-31-2019, 11:14 PM
March 17, brown is suppose to receive a 2 mil roster bonus.... I think that is the unofficial trade deadline.

Northern_Blitz
02-01-2019, 10:29 AM
NFL year doesnt start to Mar 13th i think.

The accelerated signing bonus(x3) would count this year(2019)
His prorated signing bonus + salary counts against the cap so its a wash.
If they wait until Jun to trade him they can take whats left of the signing bonus(x2) towards next years(2020) cap

Looks like the difference is just that you are talking calendar years and I'm talking league years.

Since the 2018 league year hasn't ended, I thought it made more sense to talk about "next year's".

Maybe if I said "next season's cap" it would have been less confusing?

RuthlessBurgher
02-01-2019, 12:49 PM
Antonio Brown: I just want to win, no matter where

Posted by Josh Alper on February 1, 2019, 7:10 AM EST

Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown has said more than once that he’ll sit down for an interview to share his side of the messy end to the 2018 season, but his public statements have mostly come through social media to this point.

That changed a bit on Thursday. Brown was attending an event in Atlanta and he stopped for a brief chat with USA Today on his way inside the building. Brown was asked what he’s looking for in 2019.

“I just want to win. I just want to win,” Brown said. “Play with a team that’s going to win.”

Brown was then asked if it matters where he plays and he indicated it didn’t before moving on.

Steelers owner Art Rooney II has been pessimistic about the chances of Brown remaining in Pittsburgh, but said most recently that he wants to sit down with Brown before charting a course for the future.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/01/antonio-brown-i-just-want-to-win-no-matter-where/

RuthlessBurgher
02-05-2019, 11:49 AM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Hall of Fame wideout Michael Irvin has weighed in on the Antonio Brown saga. "AB's a bad man. If Pittsbugh lets him get away, they'd be foolish," he told ESPN's Vaughn McClure. "Send him over to San Francisco if you want to. I guarantee they will turn that thing out in San Francisco...(The Steelers) will be regretting it. You're going to lose Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown and you think you're going to get over on the Chiefs or the Patriots? Ain't gonna happen."

15h

Oviedo
02-05-2019, 12:40 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Hall of Fame wideout Michael Irvin has weighed in on the Antonio Brown saga. "AB's a bad man. If Pittsbugh lets him get away, they'd be foolish," he told ESPN's Vaughn McClure. "Send him over to San Francisco if you want to. I guarantee they will turn that thing out in San Francisco...(The Steelers) will be regretting it. You're going to lose Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown and you think you're going to get over on the Chiefs or the Patriots? Ain't gonna happen."

15h

Well...maybe Michael needs to understand that if AB is on the sideline because he acts like a hysterical, adolescent girl then he isn't helping anyway. But a coke head like Irvin probably has issues recognizing right and wrong anyway.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-05-2019, 04:52 PM

I can't see the Jets not willing to deal with the Steelers because they didn't get much out of their fifth round draft pick they traded.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-05-2019, 07:07 PM
March 17, brown is suppose to receive a 2 mil roster bonus.... I think that is the unofficial trade deadline.

Agreed. Highly unlikely they are giving him $2M and then trading him.

Steel Maniac
02-06-2019, 10:08 AM
I can't see the Jets not willing to deal with the Steelers because they didn't get much out of their fifth round draft pick they traded.

I hope the Jets do deal with us for Brown. Help somebody do something in that division (other then the Patriots) that's been the worst division in football over the last 20 plus years.

fordfixer
02-06-2019, 08:15 PM
I’m sure glad all these former players know what AB wants and where he wants to play next, because as far as I know the only thing AB has said since quitting on his team is “ No Officer I didn’t push her down.”

RuthlessBurgher
02-16-2019, 06:54 PM
Antonio Brown suggests that he doesn’t want a new deal, if traded
By Mike Florio | Feb 16, 2019, 2:28 PM EST

One of the potential complications of an Antonio Brown trade comes from the belief that Brown will want a new contract as part of his arrival at a new team. That may not be the case.

“Not for the money its for the love of the sport!” Brown said on Twitter in response to a question regarding those who think he wants a new team simply to get a new deal. “The commitment to win relentlessly consistently passionately! Plus I made 70 million it’s public record not to be cocky just truth! Time to play for my own Team AB84 the family!”

Of course, he’s playing for his own team only if he’s earning maximum revenue. Which would point to seeking a new deal.

If Brown doesn’t want a new contract, his current agreement would be attractive to a new team, at less than $39 million over three years with no guaranteed money.

Of course, Brown has every right two say it’s not about money. Until it eventually is about money.

steeler_george
02-16-2019, 07:29 PM
Antonio Brown suggests that he doesn’t want a new deal, if traded
By Mike Florio | Feb 16, 2019, 2:28 PM EST

One of the potential complications of an Antonio Brown trade comes from the belief that Brown will want a new contract as part of his arrival at a new team. That may not be the case.

“Not for the money its for the love of the sport!” Brown said on Twitter in response to a question regarding those who think he wants a new team simply to get a new deal. “The commitment to win relentlessly consistently passionately! Plus I made 70 million it’s public record not to be cocky just truth! Time to play for my own Team AB84 the family!”

Of course, he’s playing for his own team only if he’s earning maximum revenue. Which would point to seeking a new deal.

If Brown doesn’t want a new contract, his current agreement would be attractive to a new team, at less than $39 million over three years with no guaranteed money.

Of course, Brown has every right two say it’s not about money. Until it eventually is about money.

Finally, AB is cooperating in getting is stock higher so the Steelers trade him.

I sill think there is an offer or on going communication between AB's management, theSteelers and SF.

tiproast
02-16-2019, 08:33 PM
I hope the Jets do deal with us for Brown. Help somebody do something in that division (other then the Patriots) that's been the worst division in football over the last 20 plus years.
On the contrary, since the NFL went to its current alignment in 2002, the AFC East has more wins than any other division.

In order, the division ranked by number of wins is:

AFC East: 569
AFC West: 558
NFC East: 558
NFC South: 556
AFC North: 548
NFC North: 537
AFC South: 533
NFC West: 508

Now, what many people are probably wondering is this: what happens when you subtract the dominant team from each division? How do they stack up at that point?

First, here are the dominant teams from each division, sorted by wins since 2002:

AFC East - Patriots : 209
AFC North - Steelers : 176
AFC South - Colts : 174
NFC North - Packers : 164
NFC East - Eagles : 159.5
NFC West - Seahawks : 156.5
AFC West - Broncos : 156
NFC South - Saints : 153

After subtracting the dominant team from each division, the rankings look like this:

NFC South : 403
AFC West : 402
NFC East : 398.5
NFC North : 373
AFC North : 372
AFC East : 360
AFC South : 359
NFC West: 351.5

What these numbers show is that when there's a division with a very dominant team (the AFC North, East, and South) the records of the rest of the teams in the division become depressed relative to the rest of the league.

Oh, and one other takeaway. Since realignment, the weakest division, by far, has been the NFC West.

Northern_Blitz
02-17-2019, 06:41 AM
On the contrary, since the NFL went to its current alignment in 2002, the AFC East has more wins than any other division.

Now, what many people are probably wondering is this: what happens when you subtract the dominant team from each division? How do they stack up at that point?

First, here are the dominant teams from each division, sorted by wins since 2002:

After subtracting the dominant team from each division, the rankings look like this:

What these numbers show is that when there's a division with a very dominant team (the AFC North, East, and South) the records of the rest of the teams in the division become depressed relative to the rest of the league.

Oh, and one other takeaway. Since realignment, the weakest division, by far, has been the NFC West.

It also shows that the afc North has been similar to the anf East.

The Bengals have been mostly bad, and the Browns have been terrible since I started watching football in the 90s

papillon
02-17-2019, 09:01 AM

I think part of the perception that the AFC East has been bad over the past 15 years or so is because the Pats have rarely been challenged for the division title; while the Steelers and Ravens and the occasional Bengal sighting are in a battle to the final weeks of the season when the division is determined. It always feels like the Pats have the division wrapped up with 3 or 4 games to play and keep competitive because they're looking for the 1 seed, while the Steelers and Ravens are still battling for the division. Of course, this is just an observation and I didn't go looking for empirical data to prove this theory, its just what I perceive as a fan. I'm certain the Pats had years when they were in a dogfight to the end but it doesn't feel like there were that many and it always seems the Steelers are battling right up to the final week of the regular season.

Pappy

Northern_Blitz
02-17-2019, 01:28 PM
I think part of the perception that the AFC East has been bad over the past 15 years or so is because the Pats have rarely been challenged for the division title; while the Steelers and Ravens and the occasional Bengal sighting are in a battle to the final weeks of the season when the division is determined. It always feels like the Pats have the division wrapped up with 3 or 4 games to play and keep competitive because they're looking for the 1 seed, while the Steelers and Ravens are still battling for the division. Of course, this is just an observation and I didn't go looking for empirical data to prove this theory, its just what I perceive as a fan. I'm certain the Pats had years when they were in a dogfight to the end but it doesn't feel like there were that many and it always seems the Steelers are battling right up to the final week of the regular season.

Pappy

It would be interesting to see playoff births from each division over a similar time period. But, I don't want to find the numbers.

Steel Maniac
02-17-2019, 03:08 PM
Name another legit qb in the afc east in the last billion years other then Brady since Jim Kelly and Marion left????

Exactly..... AFC east has been thecworse division in football since mariono & Kelly left. All those teams have been mostly nothing since. A fluke win here and there but that division has been garbage.

Steel Maniac
02-17-2019, 03:09 PM
Jets had a fluke couple of years but that division has been garbage

pittpete
02-17-2019, 04:46 PM
Cmon, Mark Sanchez has to be up there...LOL:p

Captain Lemming
02-19-2019, 10:26 AM

Pappy

Fact is that we lose the division because of our own struggles.
You telling me the reason we missed the playoffs and the Pats won the SB is because we have to deal with the “mighty’ Ravens in our division?

Steel Maniac
02-19-2019, 11:34 AM
Fact is that we lose the division because of our own struggles.
You telling me the reason we missed the playoffs and the Pats won the SB is because we have to deal with the “mighty’ Ravens in our division?

Yeah, we were our own worse enemy this year for the most part. But there hasn't been a legit , viable QB in the AFC east since Kelly & Marino retired. That's why that has been the worse division in football the last 20 plus years. Your not a serious year in, year out contender with no QB.

Disco1981
02-19-2019, 01:14 PM
Still predicting SF #36 is where he goes...Anything better is obviously a plus...But #36 will be the LOWEST offer, calling it!

pittpete
02-19-2019, 03:49 PM
Thinking maybe GB's 1st from the Saints(#2)
One could hope