PDA

View Full Version : Butler's positive exit meeting

steeler_george
01-10-2019, 03:34 PM
From a few article that I read concerning Butler's exit meeting with Tomlin was positive. Was does that really mean? That he agrees to demte himself to LB coach? Or is it another year of Butler as DC...

Starlifter
01-10-2019, 04:13 PM
no way he demotes himself.

but I'm nervous we've gone this long without a change.

Eddie Spaghetti
01-10-2019, 04:28 PM
maybe he figured out who will be dressing for the other teams

that's a start

Northern_Blitz
01-10-2019, 04:44 PM
Das hoping for a chamge at DC. I guess they were impressed enough by the sack numbers (because there are enough bad things to get a reacement IMO)

SteelBucks
01-10-2019, 06:13 PM
Butler is staying. IMO

Buzz
01-10-2019, 06:30 PM
The only positive to come out of a Butler exit meeting would be if he was fired or demoted.

Steel Maniac
01-10-2019, 08:04 PM
I’m glad Tomlin is staying the course. Sets up next year perfectly.

Ernie
01-10-2019, 08:06 PM
I’m glad Tomlin is staying the course. Sets up next year perfectly.

if the defense stinks it up next yr... and they fail to make the playoffs.. itll make Tomlin's seat that much hotter

Steel Maniac
01-10-2019, 08:15 PM
if the defense stinks it up next yr... and they fail to make the playoffs.. itll make Tomlin's seat that much hotter

Hotter? It’s hot now! Why you think he’s changing assistant coaches. Changing out everybody around a coach is the last straw before you get wacked. See Mike McCarthy a year ago. :smile:

Ernie
01-10-2019, 08:19 PM
Hotter? It’s hot now! Why you think he’s changing assistant coaches. Changing out everybody around a coach is the last straw before you get wacked. See Mike McCarthy a year ago. :smile:

hotter is a relative term lol.. even his most adamant supporters be asking wtf they didnt fire butler if they crap to bed again..

pittpete
01-10-2019, 08:20 PM
Awesome, more LBers on slot receivers and no interceptions.
Cant wait for next year so we can continue to blame the lack of player talent....:rolleyes:

Steel Maniac
01-10-2019, 08:23 PM
Cant wait for next year so we can continue to blame the lack of player talent....:rolleyes:

Pete, just sit back and enjoy the ride until the train derails again.

pittpete
01-10-2019, 08:24 PM
Im not getting any younger bro....

Steel Maniac
01-10-2019, 08:30 PM
Hey, just enjoy the TBW make excuses for Tomlin; I do. Jump, tuck and roll out ( emotionally) when the vehicle is headed for the wall again. I did when we lost to the Raiders. Season was over. We lost control of our own destiny.

No point making a long term deep, deep emotional investment in this team until Tomlin is gone. They can’t win anything with him.

Ernie
01-10-2019, 08:30 PM
a team without AB and bell next year will at least be an easy team to root for. most of those guys appear to be very solid... team oriented guys.. I figure if my dad and grandmother could make it through the 60s (Ernie Stauntner) era... and I could make it through the 80s... I'll somehow manage to get through the current down turn lol

Steel Maniac
01-10-2019, 08:33 PM
There you go; well out last Tomlin.

Northern_Blitz
01-11-2019, 12:43 PM

I think that there are problems with the scheme (LBs on WRs) and problem with talent (no ints).

I also think that there are good things about the scheme (sacks). But, maybe sacks aren't as valuable as they used to be if it's easier for passing teams to get the yardage back in chunks? You'd still think that we'd get more strip sacks than we do...maybe a new OLB coach would help?

Either way, consistently putting LBs on WRs and not changing after getting burned all the time seems like a recipe for getting fired. I really think that the team must think that the sacks are worth it (because I don't see another potential argument for why he should stay).

At this point, I guess we're stuck hoping that we can infuse the secondary (and ILB and OLB) with some above average to elite talent and that a high sack number starts to pan out in terms of fumble generation.

NorthCoast
01-13-2019, 12:18 PM
Reasons for the non-firing of Butler:

1) Loyalty - the guy paid his dues waiting a long time behind LeBeau before given the chance
2) Contract - the Steelers are not known for letting coaches (or players for that matter) go before their contract expires
3) Tomlin - it may be the case that Butler was merely using a scheme and defense that Tomlin told him to use; how can you fire a guy for doing what he was told?
4) Team - it may be the case that Colbert/Tomlin do not believe they defense is that far away from being really good; maybe only a piece or two is needed for them to return to greatness.
5) NE - how do you fire a DC that finally put together a scheme that defeated their nemesis?

Those are the only things I can fathom why Butler is not gone.

steeler_george
01-13-2019, 01:06 PM
Reasons for the non-firing of Butler:

1) Loyalty - the guy paid his dues waiting a long time behind LeBeau before given the chance
2) Contract - the Steelers are not known for letting coaches (or players for that matter) go before their contract expires
3) Tomlin - it may be the case that Butler was merely using a scheme and defense that Tomlin told him to use; how can you fire a guy for doing what he was told?
4) Team - it may be the case that Colbert/Tomlin do not believe they defense is that far away from being really good; maybe only a piece or two is needed for them to return to greatness.
5) NE - how do you fire a DC that finally put together a scheme that defeated their nemesis?

Those are the only things I can fathom why Butler is not gone.

Well done. Good reasons on keeping him. As bad as the schemes looked at times, there were plays that were to blame because of talent , penalties, phanton PI calls, and potential turnovers that were lost.

Steel Maniac
01-13-2019, 01:11 PM
I think that there are problems with the scheme (LBs on WRs) and problem with talent (no ints).

I also think that there are good things about the scheme (sacks). But, maybe sacks aren't as valuable as they used to be if it's easier for passing teams to get the yardage back in chunks? You'd still think that we'd get more strip sacks than we do...maybe a new OLB coach would help?

Either way, consistently putting LBs on WRs and not changing after getting burned all the time seems like a recipe for getting fired. I really think that the team must think that the sacks are worth it (because I don't see another potential argument for why he should stay).

At this point, I guess we're stuck hoping that we can infuse the secondary (and ILB and OLB) with some above average to elite talent and that a high sack number starts to pan out in terms of fumble generation.

This is playing out perfectly.

Northern_Blitz
01-13-2019, 01:15 PM
This is playing out perfectly.

Not sure what you mean here. Care to elaborate?

Steel Maniac
01-13-2019, 01:18 PM
Not sure what you mean here. Care to elaborate?

Nooo... I’m good. It’s a beautiful Sunday morning with some good games to be played. We’ve got the whole summer to talk. Lol

Northern_Blitz
01-13-2019, 01:27 PM
Nooo... I’m good. It’s a beautiful Sunday morning with some good games to be played. We’ve got the whole summer to talk. Lol

I guess I don't get what your hinting at. I think we agree on Butler.

steelz09
01-13-2019, 08:08 PM

Next year is Tomlin's last year on contract. If he fields the same dysfunctional turd of a team, he won't be back. I fully expect that to happen.

Unfortunately, we have to endure one more year of disappointment since the Rooney's don't have the balls to outright fire him and his staff this off-season.

Steel Maniac
01-13-2019, 09:36 PM
Tomlin should be fired right now; but they’ve changed assistants which is a sign that upper management is giving him one last chance. Just like they did MCarthy last year in Green Bay.

I’m content that by Tomlin keeping the other two stooges ( Smith & Butler) he’s assured himself of failure. Then we can roll all three of them together... because 3 stooges do Everthing together.