PDA

View Full Version : Steelers May consider hiring Kevin Greene

fordfixer
01-09-2019, 07:48 PM
Steelers may consider hiring Kevin Greene as new OLB coach

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Steelers-Kevin-Greene-coach-127576596/?fbclid=IwAR2uh8NJMQl7aDjf-AcL-0Vz-DFUDFxttY_utrYzZ9utK2mkrrDb5czfPd0

ByBRYAN DEARDO

Kevin Greene was a member of Pittsburgh's famed Blitzburgh defense. He is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, electing to go in as a Steeler despite spending just three of his 15 NFL seasons in Pittsburgh. He was part of a Super Bowl winning staff while serving as the Packers' outsider linebackers coach during Green Bay's victory over the Steelers in Super Bowl XLV. He is a member of Pittsburgh's Hall of Honor while being enshrined in the Steelers' first-ever induction class.

He should now be considered to join Pittsburgh's staff as the team's new linebacker coach.

Considering Greene for Joey Porter's old job should be a no-brainer. In 2009, as serving as a coaching intern on Pittsburgh's staff during the team's 2008 training camp, Greene began his five-year run as the Packers' OLB coach. Greene worked closely with Clay Matthews, who was a rookie when Greene started his coaching tenure with the Packers. Under Greene's watch, Matthews earned Pro Bowl honors in each of his first four NFL seasons while being tabbed as an All-Pro during the Packers' 2010 championship season. In Super Bowl XLV, after receiving a pep talk from Greene, Matthews delivered one of the game's biggest plays when he forced a fumble of Pittsburgh running back Rashard Mendenhall. Matthew's forced turnover helped hold off the Steelers' comeback bid while giving the Packers their fourth Super Bowl victory.

“He came in a smart kid,” Greene recently said of Matthews. “I was able to show Clay specific techniques one time and he could replicate it.”

Matthews, who now has 83.5 career sacks and six Pro Bowl selections to his name, says that Greene played a significant role in his team's Super Bowl victory back in February in 2011.

“With his preparation, especially at our position, we were able to make some key plays in that game,” Matthews said of Greene’s impact on Super Bowl XLV.

After a three-year hiatus from coaching, Greene served as the New York Jets' OLB coach over the past two seasons. While the Jets failed to produce winning seasons, New York's outside linebackers made significant strides under Greene, with three year veteran Jordan Jenkins setting a career high with 7.0 sacks this past season. Greene is now back on the open market after the Jets made a coaching overhaul immediately following the 2018 season.

While Greene has proven himself as a defensive coach, he also has a unique understanding of the standard that exists in Pittsburgh. A member of a military family, Greene also understands the value of hard work, sacrifice and being selfless and how that applies to team sports. That attitude would surely be welcome in Pittsburgh, as the Steelers look to rebound after a disappointing 2018 season.

Oviedo
01-09-2019, 10:26 PM
Do it now!!!!

fordfixer
01-09-2019, 11:13 PM
I agree.....

SteelBucks
01-09-2019, 11:39 PM
Yes please!!!

Disco1981
01-10-2019, 06:44 AM
Everybody is screaming for Greene...I ( like most ) loved Greene as a player...But frankly, Can he Coach...I know nothing about him in that capacity

Ernie
01-10-2019, 07:01 AM
Everybody is screaming for Greene...I ( like most ) loved Greene as a player...But frankly, Can he Coach...I know nothing about him in that capacity

Clay Matthews seems to think so....

SteelBucks
01-10-2019, 08:34 AM

Five years as OLB coach for the Packers (won the Super Bowl while there) and the last two seasons with the Jets.

Steel Maniac
01-10-2019, 09:27 AM
Greene is better then Porter; if the goal is to upgrade ( and it is) then hiring Greene makes us better. And the ultimate goal as an organization is to start 2019 season being better then 2018.

Look at other candidates for sure; but if Greene is the best we can do, I’m happy we’ll be better.

RuthlessBurgher
01-10-2019, 11:20 AM
He is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, electing to go in as a Steeler despite spending just three of his 15 NFL seasons in Pittsburgh.

For the record, unlike baseball where players must choose one team's logo for the cap on their HoF plaque, football players do not designate one specific team. Canton does not require him to choose whether to go into their hall as a Ram or a Steeler or a Panther. Greene went into the HoF as a member of all of those teams.

flippy
01-10-2019, 12:20 PM
KG is one of those old players that you just know would make a great coach. He wasn’t especially big or fast but he figured out how to be successful anyway.

I remember hearing stories when he came to play in Carolina that he was old and washed up and the team thought he was finished, but he showed up on game days and dominated. He’s just always been one of those guys that had to work harder and study more than others.

And he’s passionate about football and competing. I used to think he was borderline crazy but that was him transforming when he played.

I think I remember him flying off the handle and arguing with coaches during his days. Maybe he’s a coach that could help AB get his head straight.

fordfixer
01-10-2019, 12:39 PM
For the record, unlike baseball where players must choose one team's logo for the cap on their HoF plaque, football players do not designate one specific team. Canton does not require him to choose whether to go into their hall as a Ram or a Steeler or a Panther. Greene went into the HoF as a member of all of those teams.
I thought that part of the article was strange also but I also remember him saying that when he went in the HOF.

flippy
01-10-2019, 12:52 PM
Thinking back to when Greene played for us, wasn't Marvin Lewis our LB coach? Not that Marvin would want to go from HC to OLB coach, but he's got a pretty impressive track record of coaching LBs. With Greene, Lloyd, Brown, and Kirkland, that had to be one of the more impressive 3-4 LB units of all time.

rpmpit
01-10-2019, 01:26 PM
I mentioned Greene a few days ago in the "Nothing Personal Joey Porter" post. DO IT!!! DO IT!!! DO IT!!! :tt2

Disco1981
01-10-2019, 01:42 PM
Loved Greene as player, But can he Coach...Not being a Smartass, I just really don't know

NorthCoast
01-10-2019, 01:57 PM
If Greene can turn VWill into Shazier2.0 I give two thumbs up.

fordfixer
01-10-2019, 02:29 PM
If Greene can turn VWill into Shazier2.0 I give two thumbs up.
He’s a coach not a god