PDA

View Full Version : Florio on Steelers HC

NorthCoast
01-08-2019, 08:57 PM
Gotta say Florio knows how to get clicks.......

Would Steelers trade Mike Tomlin, promote Mike Munchak?
Posted by Mike Florio on January 8, 2019, 6:48 PM EST

Appearing on local radio stations helps give me a good sense of what’s being said about the home team in its own town. On Monday, a visit with Andrew Fillipponi of 93.7 the Fan in Pittsburgh caused me to do a spit take.

During the segment, Fillipponi suggested this idea for the Steelers: Trade Mike Tomlin, and promote Mike Munchak to head coach.

It’s a stunning thought, an ultra-aggressive approach for an uber-conservative team that has allowed its insistence on continuity among its coaches to become part of its identity. But with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger publicly stumping for Munchak to stay with the team at a time when he’s one of the finalists to coach the Broncos, it’s an intriguing thought.

“I pray that fans write as many letters as they can to Mr. [Art] Rooney to keep Coach Munchak around,” Roethlisberger recently said. “He’s such a special coach. When the linemen are happy and love to play for their coach, they play better.”

With vacant jobs starting to fill (three have been filled in the past 24 hours or so), it could be hard to find a suitor for Tomlin, if the Steelers were inclined to even try. And the concept knocked me wobbly in large part because, typically, the trade of a coach happens when another team wants to get him, not when his current team wants to unload him.

If the Steelers were to start making phone calls about a possible Tomlin trade, and if any of that were to get out, how could the Steelers move forward with Tomlin? It would be difficult if not impossible. Also, with the three NFC vacancies now filled, the Steelers’ only remaining options could be within the AFC: Jets, Dolphins, Browns, Bengals, Broncos.

Of course, the notion that Tomlin could be available could prompt a team with a coach currently under contract to inquire about the possibility. And Tomlin’s minority status would allow the transaction to happen quickly, with no traditional coaching search.

The chances of it happening are somewhere between slim and none, but it’s an intriguing idea, one that should at least prompt interested teams to ask themselves whether it’s worth making a call

AzStillers1989
01-08-2019, 09:25 PM
I’m down. Let’s make a change and promote within.

Steelwolf
01-08-2019, 09:29 PM
Maybe I never paid attention but I've never seen a coach traded? Lol

AzStillers1989
01-08-2019, 09:36 PM
Maybe I never paid attention but I've never seen a coach traded? Lol

https://www.oregonlive.com/nfl/index.ssf/2015/12/nfl_5_coaches_who_have_been_tr.html

Steelwolf
01-08-2019, 09:53 PM
Thanks had to Google that I dont remember that at all lol

Djfan
01-08-2019, 10:46 PM
Do it. Don't think Tomlin is all that anyway.

Ghost
01-08-2019, 10:48 PM
Florio is a top of the line, grade A, piece of garbage who consistently tells half truths if not outright lies. Please don’t click anything he posts.

Sugar
01-09-2019, 11:08 AM
In a way that is perhaps similar to Dick LeBeau, Mike Munchak has shown himself to be one of the best of all-time as a position coach, but not very good as a head coach. Pass. Hard pass.

In fact, if he does go to the Bronco's there's a better chance that he's looking for work again in 2-3 years while Mike Tomlin is still entrenched in Pittsburgh.

Northern_Blitz
01-09-2019, 11:11 AM
When we get rid of Tomlin, I hope that we go after a young promising coach instead of someone who's already demonstrated they aren't good at the job.

I love Munchak as an OL coach. He seems to be great at that job. But, he was not a good HC when he had a chance.

I'm also not a fan of hiring from within for top end jobs. I think we've seen how it didn't really work out that well at DC and OC. I'd rather do a real search and bring in the best person. Not just the person in the office down the hall.

Eich
01-09-2019, 12:18 PM
I love Munchak as an OL coach. He seems to be great at that job. But, he was not a good HC when he had a chance.

Is there a big enough body of work to say for certain that he's not good Head Coaching material? IMO, I don't think so.

Ernie
01-09-2019, 12:27 PM
Is there a big enough body of work to say for certain that he's not good Head Coaching material? IMO, I don't think so.

I agree 100%

rpmpit
01-09-2019, 01:28 PM
What's a spit take?

RuthlessBurgher
01-09-2019, 01:32 PM
What's a spit take?

https://i.gifer.com/IM8p.gif

rpmpit
01-09-2019, 01:33 PM
I agree 100%

Yeah that DC from the Giants did ok in New England after screwing the pooch in Cleveland.

fordfixer
01-09-2019, 01:56 PM
Yeah that DC from the Giants did ok in New England after screwing the pooch in Cleveland.
He had to cheat to do ok though

rpmpit
01-09-2019, 02:03 PM
He had to cheat to do ok though

Good point!

Northern_Blitz
01-09-2019, 03:13 PM

Maybe not, but it makes the decision harder. Especially when you'd be swapping out a HC with good results for one with bad results.

I think that the skill set for position coaches (and even co-ordinators) aren't necessarily transferable to HCs.

And while there's a non-zero chance that he's the next BB, I wouldn't stake the rest of Ben's career on it.

RuthlessBurgher
01-09-2019, 03:56 PM
And here is what Florio had to say about the Cincy head coaching vacancy:

How about co-head coaches in Cincinnati?

Posted by Mike Florio on January 9, 2019, 2:35 PM EST

It’s believed in league circles that the next coach of the Bengals will be Hue Jackson (with Vance Joseph as defensive coordinator) or Vance Joseph (with Hue Jackson as offensive coordinator). So why not really shake things up and do something completely different?

At one point, Michael Scott and Jim Halpert were co-managers of Dunder Mifflin, Scranton branch. Maybe that’s the right answer for the perpetually wrongly-directed Bengals, as crazy as it may sound. (And, yes, it sounds crazy.)

But it’s not unprecedented. In 1953, the Packers had co-head coaches. (Sure, it lasted only for the last two games of the season.) Ten years before that, the merged Steelers and Eagles franchise (the Steagles) employed both Walt Kiesling and Greasy Neale as co-head coaches.

Why not make Jackson the head coach/offense and Joseph the head coach/defense? Give one guy responsibility for each side of the ball, let the special-teams coordinator report to both of them, and see what happens?

Jackson would call the offensive plays, and Joseph would support Jackson with broader topics like clock management. Joseph would call the defensive plays, and Jackson would support Joseph.

I’m mostly joking, but a little serious. If neither guy is able to thrive in the job alone, why not split the job in two? With both guys operating under the terms of a buyout for at least the next season, the Bengals possibly get them to do it for the total cost of one total head coach.

Again, it’s crazy. It’s over the top. It’s one the wrong side of the fine line that separates outside the box from f–kin’ nutty.

But ask yourself this. A week ago, which possibility would have sounded more ridiculous, entrusting an NFL franchise to two men with NFL head-coaching experience (and the contacts to fill out a staff) or hiring as an NFL head-coach a guy who has no NFL coaching experience, who has precious few NFL coaching contacts, who went 35-40 at Texas Tech, who got fired from that job in November, and who quickly took a job as offensive coordinator at USC in December?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/09/how-about-co-head-coaches-in-cincinnati/

Northern_Blitz
01-09-2019, 05:44 PM
Maybe not, but it makes the decision harder. Especially when you'd be swapping out a HC with good results for one with bad results.

I think that the skill set for position coaches (and even co-ordinators) aren't necessarily transferable to HCs.

And while there's a non-zero chance that he's the next BB, I wouldn't stake the rest of Ben's career on it.

Maybe worth noting that Munchak s best year as HC was 9 wins.

We had 9 wins and a tie this year and the pitchforks are out.

It's different because he didn't have Ben, but we had as many wins in the last 2 years as he did in 3 years as an HC (plus we had a tie)

NorthCoast
01-09-2019, 06:44 PM
maybe worth noting that munchak s best year as hc was 9 wins.

We had 9 wins and a tie this year and the pitchforks are out.

It's different because he didn't have ben, but we had as many wins in the last 2 years as he did in 3 years as an hc (plus we had a tie)

ouch!......