PDA

View Full Version : Steelers expected to restructure Ben Roethlisberger's deal

fordfixer
01-05-2019, 01:53 PM
Steelers expected to restructure Ben Roethlisberger's deal

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25690796/pittsburgh-steelers-expected-restructure-ben-roethlisberger-deal

Adam Schefter
ESPN Senior Writer

The Pittsburgh Steelers and Ben Roethlisberger are expected to restructure and extend the veteran quarterback's deal before the new league year begins March 13, per league sources.

Roethlisberger's restructured contract would create salary-cap space and also make it more palatable to move on from Pro Bowl wide receiver Antonio Brown this offseason if that's the direction the Steelers decide to go.

Should Pittsburgh decide to trade Brown this offseason, it's going to need more salary-cap room to carry his $21.25 million in dead money, and one player who could provide it is Roethlisberger.But Roethlisberger is also headed into the last year of his contract, and the two sides typically have extended his deals in early March -- the first extension coming with two years left on his contract, the more recent one coming with one year remaining.

Now with the timing right, and the Steelers needing cap space, Roethlisberger is expected to give Pittsburgh an assist before the new league year begins.

SteelBucks
01-05-2019, 02:03 PM
Makes sense. Bye AB.

Oviedo
01-05-2019, 02:52 PM
Makes sense. Bye AB.

Yes it does but the cap hit will still hamstring us in the one off season we were going to have significant cap space to mzke real improvement.

Still hope sanity prevails

SteelBucks
01-05-2019, 02:55 PM

As do I. $21M hit would put a serious dent for any significant offseason moves.

Ernie
01-05-2019, 02:58 PM
I need to see it broken down... I keep reading that they can get the cap hit down to about 6 million....

SteelBucks
01-05-2019, 04:02 PM
I need to see it broken down... I keep reading that they can get the cap hit down to about 6 million....

$7M in 2019 and $14M in 2020 if he’s traded after June. All would hit in 2019 if he’s traded before then. I’d guess the Steelers would prefer to move him before the draft in April.

Ernie
01-05-2019, 04:08 PM
$7M in 2019 and $14M in 2020 if he’s traded after June. All would hit in 2019 if he’s traded before then. I’d guess the Steelers would prefer to move him before the draft in April.

That'd be fine by me. Time to move on.

D Rock
01-05-2019, 04:13 PM

The fact that the cap savings is only 1M makes it almost a non-starter discussion, unless we can get something like two 1st rd picks, or maybe a 1 and a 2.

If the return isn't good - force him to play or to 'pull a Bell' and sit out. Or at least wait until after June 1st, reduce the cap hit, sign some talent this year, then trade him and hope it pays off in the future.

brothervad
01-05-2019, 04:16 PM
So there has been stories circulating via Ed Bouchette that this is not a $21 million cap hit. I am not going to repost the link as I have already done so in other threads (as well as others I am sure).

However, even if the case above is true...they still are getting a 14.5 million cash back from the Leveon Bell dispute. This is not disputed.

Tweet by Chirs Mortensen today:
Steelers have no issues with a $21 million dead cap hit on Antonio Brown if he is traded, as expected. The team will receive a $14.5 million cap credit back in 2019 for Le'Veon Bell that hasn't been calculated yet.

I know many of you suggest that money can be used to sign top notch FA/resign ours. Fact is we will still have a cap increase to do that -6.5 million hit that we would take if we purged AB in a trade.

Frankly, the LB situation may have made purging AB before March actually doable because they now have the ability to get a good trade, resign folks, sign some FA's (no big names likely just depth - it's the Steeler way so no need to shoot the messenger), and restructure deals to provide cap space.

I actually think this may be the best thing for the Steelers to do and its all because LB was a incredible douche.

So thanks LB!!!!

;)

brothervad

Ernie
01-05-2019, 04:17 PM
The fact that the cap savings is only 1M makes it almost a non-starter discussion, unless we can get something like two 1st rd picks, or maybe a 1 and a 2.

If the return isn't good - force him to play or to 'pull a Bell' and sit out. Or at least wait until after June 1st, reduce the cap hit, sign some talent this year, then trade him and hope it pays off in the future.

Yea... because everyone wants to see that drama unfold again next year lol

Im good with either scenario you provided though (which involves NOT keeping AB)....getting a 1 and a 2... or waiting until after June 1 to spread out the hit..

Ernie
01-05-2019, 04:24 PM
brothervad,
Good post... and I know this is going to sound crazy... but I honestly think one of the biggest impact moves we can make is to draft a "1B" type of RB to go with Conner.... Roll with those 2 and Samuels...
Balance out the offense so we are sustaining drives and eating up clock... Keeping the defense off the field.. Resign McDonald, James, and Grimble, and make them a bigger part of the passing attack.

We certainly need a few talent infusions in the secondary and linebacking corps...and I think they can still happen through the draft, AB trade, free agency....
If we play our cards right, we will be a more balanced team, and one with certainly less "Locker room" issues.

brothervad
01-05-2019, 04:24 PM
Here is a link to an article about Brown/Steelers at Overthecap.com

https://overthecap.com/the-steelers-options-with-antonio-brown/

Here is a little (?) tease

Wait I read that they will save $15.2 million if they cut him and millions more in the future? What gives?

The $15.2 million is the amount of cash that the team saves this year if they release Brown in March. From a salary cap perspective this is money that is saved for the future though it is not realized this year. The best way to visualize this is to do a quick scenario analysis based on when the Steelers move on.

Year

Cap if Cut in 2019

Cap if Cut in 2020

Cap if cut in 2021

$21,120,000

$22,165,000

$22,165,000

$0

$14,080,000

$18,340,000

$0

$0

$7,040,000

Total Cap

$21,120,000

$36,245,000

$47,545,000

Difference

$0

$15,125,000

$26,425,000

As you can see they save $15.125 million by cutting him now versus 2020 and $26.425 million by cutting him now versus 2021.
This type of analysis makes plenty of sense when you are talking about an underperforming/declining player. If you have an 80% chance of cutting a player in 2020 you may as well just bite the bullet and do it now even if it looks bad on the cap. This is why decisions are made on players like Ndamukong Suh in Miami to cut now rather than later. It’s a strong argument for why the Giants should have moved on from Eli Manning this year.

Brown isn’t that type of player though. The odds of Brown being cut for football reasons in 2020 are very low so there is no need to accelerate the process nor any try benefit to it because he is worth the contract that he is being paid. If you are cutting Brown it’s because you think there is some irreparable damage between the organization and him that you can not fix. You aren’t going to give it a shot in 2019 only to cut him in 2020. Either the Steelers are in or out. This type of matrix should play no role in this particular decision.

Is the salary cap a concern at all for this move?

Yes and no. In general the salary cap is no longer a barrier for moves like this. Salaries have not kept up with the rising salary cap and teams have learned to work the system better to absorb cap hits like this one. The only true protection players have anymore are fully guaranteed salaries and teams pretty much only peg those to years of expected contributions.

That said it is still a ridiculous number. The highest one year cap charge we have is a $19.3 million cap charge for Peyton Manning in 2012 which was offset in part by the fact that the team declined an option on him. After Manning we are looking at Brock Osweiler at $16 million in 2017 and Jason Pierre-Paul in 2018 at $15 million. Ndamukong Suh had over $22 million in dead charges but they were split across two years and not a single season.
To put things in perspective the Steelers have had a total of about $31 million in dead money combined across three seasons! This would be completely against their way of doing business to take on that kind of charge no matter how upset the player is. So the big number should give the Steelers a lot to consider for this season.

What I am finding is that there are so much "SH - I-nformation -T" being spouted off by all the "Experts" that I really have no clue what the hell this will do.

brothervad

SteelBucks
01-05-2019, 05:24 PM
We need Omar Khan (Steelers Capologist) to join the board and explain all this. Salary Cap for Dummies.

steeler_george
01-05-2019, 05:36 PM
Ernie, I was thinking the same. Go from a pass happy team ( boy did I like that 5 wr set we had going end of season) to a ball control power team. Add in another TE with McDonald, we can sort of mimic the Colts with Ebron and Doyle, with JuJu being our Hilton. And get nasty and fast on defense!

Northern_Blitz
01-05-2019, 06:52 PM
Yes it does but the cap hit will still hamstring us in the one off season we were going to have significant cap space to mzke real improvement.

Yep. Not sure AB can be a grown up about it though

Northern_Blitz
01-05-2019, 06:55 PM
So there has been stories circulating via Ed Bouchette that this is not a $21 million cap hit. I am not going to repost the link as I have already done so in other threads (as well as others I am sure).

However, even if the case above is true...they still are getting a 14.5 million cash back from the Leveon Bell dispute. This is not disputed.

Tweet by Chirs Mortensen today:
Steelers have no issues with a $21 million dead cap hit on Antonio Brown if he is traded, as expected. The team will receive a $14.5 million cap credit back in 2019 for Le'Veon Bell that hasn't been calculated yet.

I know many of you suggest that money can be used to sign top notch FA/resign ours. Fact is we will still have a cap increase to do that -6.5 million hit that we would take if we purged AB in a trade.

Frankly, the LB situation may have made purging AB before March actually doable because they now have the ability to get a good trade, resign folks, sign some FA's (no big names likely just depth - it's the Steeler way so no need to shoot the messenger), and restructure deals to provide cap space.

I actually think this may be the best thing for the Steelers to do and its all because LB was a incredible douche.

So thanks LB!!!!

;)

brothervad

It would suck if we're forced to use the extra cap room to make a new weakness by getting rid of one of our best players instead of fixing a current weakness.

But maybe that's just where we are.

Northern_Blitz
01-05-2019, 06:58 PM
Ernie, I was thinking the same. Go from a pass happy team ( boy did I like that 5 wr set we had going end of season) to a ball control power team. Add in another TE with McDonald, we can sort of mimic the Colts with Ebron and Doyle, with JuJu being our Hilton. And get nasty and fast on defense!

I think the problem is the D.

We have two young RBs that have shown they can do a reasonable job.

We have big needs as ILB and in the secondary.

Ernie
01-05-2019, 07:06 PM
It would suck if we're forced to use the extra cap room to make a new weakness by getting rid of one of our best players instead of fixing a current weakness.

that's exactly where we are.. and we can come out of it superbowl contenders once again if we play our cards right

Ernie
01-05-2019, 07:07 PM
I think the problem is the D.

We have two young RBs that have shown they can do a reasonable job.

We have big needs as ILB and in the secondary.

no reason why we can't address all of our weaknesses if we trade AB

steeler_george
01-05-2019, 07:39 PM

but then again the locker room should be stronger...

Northern_Blitz
01-05-2019, 07:40 PM
that's exactly where we are.. and we can come out of it superbowl contenders once again if we play our cards right

I think you're being wildly optomistic.

Northern_Blitz
01-05-2019, 07:41 PM
but then again the locker room should be stronger...

Just with no elite talent (outside of maybe Ben)

Buzz
01-05-2019, 07:44 PM

Not really. They'd have had to pay that to Brown this season anyway.

Look, they'll have the $14.5 million that they won't be paying Bell, and they'll come out better after Ben's restructure. They can make a few moves, even if they dump Brown.

Ernie
01-05-2019, 07:46 PM
I think you're being wildly optomistic.

that's better than being an "Extemist" I guess... lol

Ernie
01-05-2019, 07:49 PM

and I'm watching Andrew luck (the only elite talent on the Colts offense) and a dominant Defense handle the Texans on their home turf

Northern_Blitz
01-05-2019, 07:59 PM
Not really. They'd have had to pay that to Brown this season anyway.

Look, they'll have the $14.5 million that they won't be paying Bell, and they'll come out better after Ben's restructure. They can make a few moves, even if they dump Brown.

But if they trade him, they have to pay him and his replacement. Unless they think they can go with Juju and Washington at 1&2WR

Northern_Blitz
01-05-2019, 08:00 PM
and I'm watching Andrew luck (the only elite talent on the Colts offense) and a dominant Defense handle the Texans on their home turf

And what happens if they don't have a dominant D?

Especially since this string of comments started with talk of using a premium pick on a RB

Ernie
01-05-2019, 08:07 PM
I think we are a few players (and more importantly a competent D coordinator) away from being there. no reason we can't pick up a RB fairly early in the draft and still strengthen the D. The AB trade should give us an immediate impact player

Northern_Blitz
01-05-2019, 08:23 PM
I think we are a few players (and more importantly a competent D coordinator) away from being there. no reason we can't pick up a RB fairly early in the draft and still strengthen the D. The AB trade should give us an immediate impact player

We'll see. But I think you're expectations are very high.

I don't think ABs value is that high and he seems to be doing what he can do minimize it.

I can't see how we get rid of AB, make the D elite (or at least add above average ILB, CB, and probably OLB) , add a 1 or 2 WR to replace AB, stay under the salary cap AND use a premium pick on a RB (I'LL be surprised to do it without using a pick at RB) .

I'd love to hear your thoughts on how to do that.

If we trade AB, I don't see how we compete for a SB while Ben is still here.

But we do have one of the best FOs in the business, so hopefully they can pull a rabbit out of a hat.

It sucks that it looks like we'll have lost our best D player and 2 of our 3 best players on O over about an 18 month span. I don't know how you recover from that in the time Ben has left.

It's why at least part of me is interested in what it would look like to blow the whole thing up.

Steel Maniac
01-05-2019, 08:28 PM
Baby steps first....

Let's see what we can get for AB first.

Ernie
01-05-2019, 08:34 PM
We'll see. But I think you're expectations are very high.

I don't think ABs value is that high and he seems to be doing what he can do minimize it.

I can't see how we get rid of AB, make the D elite (or at least add above average ILB, CB, and probably OLB) , add a 1 or 2 WR to replace AB, stay under the salary cap AND use a premium pick on a RB (I'LL be surprised to do it without using a pick at RB) .

I'd love to hear your thoughts on how to do that.

If we trade AB, I don't see how we compete for a SB while Ben is still here.

But we do have one of the best FOs in the business, so hopefully they can pull a rabbit out of a hat.

It sucks that it looks like we'll have lost our best D player and 2 of our 3 best players on O over about an 18 month span. I don't know how you recover from that in the time Ben has left.

It's why at least part of me is interested in what it would look like to blow the whole thing up.

again.. I think upgrading the D coordinator goes alot further in addressing those needs than most would care to admit.
at least someone who's not preparing us for Tyler eifert when hes been out for 4 months lol...
one thing I'm not gonna do if I'm the FO.. is sit back and watch the team slip further into chaos next yr because of a jackass diva like AB

Northern_Blitz
01-05-2019, 08:42 PM
Baby steps first....

Let's see what we can get for AB first.

Sadly, I think the answer is "less than he's worth on the field".

I think the return has to be huge for us to put together a team that's a serious contender... But we'll see

Steel Maniac
01-05-2019, 08:45 PM

I think the return has to be huge for us to put together a team that's a serious contender... But we'll see

If AB is still a major distraction, and they can't reel him in, then it becomes a situation of addition by subtraction and getting him out of here for what we can get regardless of the amount we can get.

People are talking like we have a lot of options with AB and we may not. It depends if management can reel him in mentally. That's what this all hinges on right now at this moment.

Ernie
01-05-2019, 08:45 PM

the question is.. what's the absence of the "Off the field" AB worth..??

Northern_Blitz
01-05-2019, 09:08 PM
the question is.. what's the absence of the "Off the field" AB worth..??

I agree that it may be necessary to get rid of him (but I hope not).

But, I don't think we can pretend that getting rid of him makes the team better.

I think it's clear that the best outcome would be if we they can put this behind them. But, I don't know if that will be possible.

Steel Maniac
01-05-2019, 09:18 PM
I agree that it may be necessary to get rid of him (but I hope not).

But, I don't think we can pretend that getting rid of him makes the team better.

I think it's clear that the best outcome would be if we they can put this behind them. But, I don't know if that will be possible.

It DOES make the team better if he is a distraction going forward. This team can hardly focus as it is; and at least one player has went on record and said the reason they played crappy against the Bengals was because of the AB fiasco.

Ernie
01-05-2019, 09:22 PM
if for no other reason
.. AB needs to be let go in an attempt to restore any sort of credibility that Tomlin may have had with the team...
it's either that.. or we replace Tomlin with a hard ass that will effectively deal with him.. and we all know that's not gonna happen.. there's no happy medium fellas

Steel Maniac
01-05-2019, 09:27 PM
if for no other reason
.. AB needs to be let go in an attempt to restore any sort of credibility that Tomlin may have had with the team...
it's either that.. or we replace Tomlin with a hard ass that will effectively deal with him.. and we all know that's not gonna happen.. there's no happy medium fellas

His credibility has taken a massive hit. Not only because of this...but because he was letting Joey Porter cause such a problem in the locker room as well.

Ernie
01-05-2019, 09:33 PM
His credibility has taken a massive hit. Not only because of this...but because he was letting Joey Porter cause such a problem in the locker room as well.

it's a terminable offense for me.. but I know that's realistically not going to happen... so cutting away the last of the cancer (first Bell, and now AB) is the more viable option

Steel Maniac
01-05-2019, 09:42 PM
it's a terminable offense for me.. but I know that's realistically not going to happen... so cutting away the last of the cancer (first Bell, and now AB) is the more viable option

It is a terminable offense; and they can cut away all the dead cells they want. The cause of the cancer (Tomlin) remains. Until they get rid of Tomlin, we won't be seeing any Super Bowl victories around here. So I'm at the point of just waiting and not expecting too much. Because I know the year will end in a flame out every year because of Tomlin.

pittpete
01-05-2019, 11:24 PM
Why would we need to draft a RB early?
Conner and Samuels can carry the load.
Unless we plan on going 5 wide all the time, JuJu is a legit #1, Washington should get better and Eli and Switzer are fine in the slot.
If anything id grab a TE to go with McDonald and not resign James.
I also think AB will be here when everything cools down.

NorthCoast
01-06-2019, 12:28 AM
Maybe the Steelers are clearing cap space to transition tag Bell?!?

SteelBucks
01-06-2019, 12:52 AM
Maybe the Steelers are clearing cap space to transition tag Bell?!?

I think Bell has burned that bridge but I’ve seen stranger things happen. He wants to be paid like a top WR, so here’s your chance.

Steel Maniac
01-06-2019, 01:34 AM
I think they are going to transition tag him only to get some type of compensation for him while he's leaving.

Northern_Blitz
01-06-2019, 02:33 AM
It is a terminable offense; and they can cut away all the dead cells they want. The cause of the cancer (Tomlin) remains. Until they get rid of Tomlin, we won't be seeing any Super Bowl victories around here. So I'm at the point of just waiting and not expecting too much. Because I know the year will end in a flame out every year because of Tomlin.

I don't understand why you apply this logic to Tomlin but not Ben.

I think that QBs are way more important in determining outcomes than HCs.

Ernie
01-06-2019, 06:20 AM
Why would we need to draft a RB early?
Conner and Samuels can carry the load.
Unless we plan on going 5 wide all the time, JuJu is a legit #1, Washington should get better and Eli and Switzer are fine in the slot.
If anything id grab a TE to go with McDonald and not resign James.
I also think AB will be here when everything cools down.

Here's my case...
Conner and Samuels are absolutely capable... especially if we continue to throw it 50 times a game (which I believe is a mistake). The RB and WR positions are usually the positions most apt to "Plug and play" coming out of the draft... so a 3rd round pick at RB would likely provide us the biggest pay off in respect to Ben's window (especially if we return to some sort of reasonable balance (55-45% pass/run).
Im also okay with drafting a TE early, but believe we are fine if we stick with McDonald, JJ, and Grimble.

The one thing I disagree with is resigning AB... for reasons stated previously. This was not an isolated instance with him... and, if retained... will be a problem for us next year as well (Write it down).

Ernie
01-06-2019, 06:22 AM
I think they are going to transition tag him only to get some type of compensation for him while he's leaving.

I'd be fine with getting an additional 1st rounder (for AB) and a 3rd comp pick for Bell. That's part of what I was getting at when I said we could draft a RB early (use Bell's pick).

Northern_Blitz
01-06-2019, 06:43 AM
I'd be fine with getting an additional 1st rounder (for AB) and a 3rd comp pick for Bell. That's part of what I was getting at when I said we could draft a RB early (use Bell's pick).

I don't think the comp pick would be in this year's draft. I'm pretty sure they get delayed a year

Ernie
01-06-2019, 07:54 AM
I don't think the comp pick would be in this year's draft. I'm pretty sure they get delayed a year

and that's fine... use it to pick up a WR if our 2019 group doesn't pan out

NorthCoast
01-06-2019, 10:16 AM
Know what really sucks?

They are restructuring contracts for players that most likely won't be on the team next season. Think about that.

RobinCole
01-06-2019, 10:20 AM
Pittpete: IMO, forget about Brown. He’s burned his bridges. To get back in the team’s good graces would require him to eat a massive amount of humble pie, at minimum. That trait is not in him, and even if he did, how long before he threw another tantrum or pulled some goofy stunt?

Captain Lemming
01-06-2019, 12:05 PM

Please share the recent evidence proving that high-dollar "elite" offensive talent (outside of QB) has any correlation to actual championships?

I would suggest that the evidence is just the opposite.

Starlifter
01-06-2019, 12:52 PM
Great players are fun to watch.

But give me hungry, tenacious team players and I bet I can win more games.

pittpete
01-06-2019, 01:58 PM
Pittpete: IMO, forget about Brown. He’s burned his bridges. To get back in the team’s good graces would require him to eat a massive amount of humble pie, at minimum. That trait is not in him, and even if he did, how long before he threw another tantrum or pulled some goofy stunt?

I hear ya bro but thats too much cap $$$$ to eat w/o production.
I'm hoping that once things settle down the two sides can get back on track and mend any fences.
Everyone always says the NFL is a business.
Also, this is a group of men, not a bunch of 15 year old school girls.
Time heals all wounds IMO.

Steel Maniac
01-06-2019, 02:10 PM
If Tomlin takes brown back, he will prove how spineless he is to the rest of the team because of the way brown and Harrison punked Tomlin on video was above and beyond.

Oviedo
01-06-2019, 02:16 PM
If Tomlin takes brown back, he will prove how spineless he is to the rest of the team because of the way brown and Harrison punked Tomlin on video was above and beyond.

So you think Tomlin makes that decision in isolation or are you just laying the groundwork for your next diatribe of Tomlin hate

This will be a collective organization decision. Rooney's, Colbert, Tomlin and likely players. Dont continue to try to use Tomlin as your scapegoat. It is intellectually dishonest and lessens sounds posts you make

Steel Maniac
01-06-2019, 02:29 PM
So you think Tomlin makes that decision in isolation or are you just laying the groundwork for your next diatribe of Tomlin hate

This will be a collective organization decision. Rooney's, Colbert, Tomlin and likely players. Dont continue to try to use Tomlin as your scapegoat. It is intellectually dishonest and lessens sounds posts you make

First... you are a joke to everyone when it comes to Tomlin. Every time you talk about Tomlin you show how stupid you are . If Tomlin goes out and murders 15 people, you’ll justify it because your such a joke.

Next , there is no Tomlin hate because of race as you keep implying. :rolleyes: Tomlin has 3 playoff wins in 8 years. That’s unacceptable.

Next, you keep implying about race when you have no idea what race I am.

pittpete
01-06-2019, 02:29 PM

fordfixer
01-06-2019, 02:31 PM
I agree. I would love to have Brown back on the team, but I just don’t see it happening.

Steel Maniac
01-06-2019, 02:34 PM
I agree. I would love to have Brown back on the team, but I just don’t see it happening.

After what Brown and Harrison did to him on social media, how can Tomlin bring him back and keep his credibility with the other players?

Northern_Blitz
01-06-2019, 02:37 PM
Please share the recent evidence proving that high-dollar "elite" offensive talent (outside of QB) has any correlation to actual championships?

I would suggest that the evidence is just the opposite.

I agree with you Lemming.

But I think the problems are (1) that we will be paying Brown next year whether he's on the roster or not and (2) we have no elite talent on D.

I think we agree that (2) is worse than (1). So I think it makes no sense to use early picks on RB (where we're comfortable) instead of trying to get above average defenders that may grow into elite players (particularly at CB, ILB, & OLB).

I think we should have thought about your point when we signed Brown (although it is easiest to sign your own elite players), but I don't think you get better by incurring a big cap hit by dropping an elite player in the middle of a contract. If guess there isn't a lot of data for that going well either.

fordfixer
01-06-2019, 02:40 PM
After what Brown and Harrison did to him on social media, how can Tomlin bring him back and keep his credibility with the other players?
IDK that’s why I fix broken stuff and don’t coach a professional football ball team. Well that and I have no people skills.

Steel Maniac
01-06-2019, 02:40 PM
Back to the topic..

Ben is restructuring for a reason. The Bell money we didn’t spend rolls over to this year’s cap but... management still felt the need to restructure Ben to save even more. So something is going on. It seems to me that they could be preparing to absorb a monster cap hit like if they were to trade Brown.

They are restructuring Ben for a reason. We’ll find out soon.

Moonie
01-06-2019, 02:41 PM
I'm still waiting for the Deebo-Brown Productions interview-video to set the record straight on what really happened that fateful day in December. Should be released any time now . . . .

Steel Maniac
01-06-2019, 02:43 PM
IDK that’s why I fix broken stuff and don’t coach a professional football ball team. Well that and I have no people skills.

Lmfao!!!!!!!

Starlifter
01-06-2019, 07:09 PM
It’s sad that within one year the Steelers may lose both the best RB and WR in the game. I don’t know what if anything they could have done to prevent this - other than paying hostage money to both players. Sad this is happening and I doubt we’re better now with them gone.

But long term? Perhaps.

I also think Ben can send AB a message in this restructuring. One that might show some leadership and a commitment to the rest of the team about where the focus needs to be.

brothervad
01-06-2019, 07:21 PM
It’s sad that within one year the Steelers may lose both the best RB and WR in the game. I don’t know what if anything they could have done to prevent this - other than paying hostage money to both players. Sad this is happening and I doubt we’re better now with them gone.

But long term? Perhaps.

I also think Ben can send AB a message in this restructuring. One that might show some leadership and a commitment to the rest of the team about where the focus needs to be.

You know I was trying to think back in time where this player behavior started to manifest itself. Could it be that it was 2014 and cutting LeGarrette Blount because of his behavior and he get "rewarded" by joining a super bowl winning Pats team?

It seems after that you had similar types of abhorrent behavior by Harrison, Bell, Brown...and frankly it appears they all got their way in the end.

brothervad

Steelwolf
01-06-2019, 07:24 PM
I'm still waiting for the Deebo-Brown Productions interview-video to set the record straight on what really happened that fateful day in December. Should be released any time now . . . .

Read something where browns agent directed him not to do the interview

Steel Maniac
01-06-2019, 07:29 PM
So he’s not listening to Rosenhous either? Interesting.....

Steelwolf
01-06-2019, 07:36 PM
So he’s not listening to Rosenhous either? Interesting.....

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/schefter-antonio-brown-advised-not-to-do-harrison-interview-just-before-going-live/

NorthCoast
01-06-2019, 07:47 PM
So he’s not listening to Rosenhous either? Interesting.....That's two Divas that don't listen to their agents. I am starting to believe an NFL team can't have more than on egomaniac on the the team and be successful. Steelers have one Drama Queen, one Rappin RB, and one 'Look at Me' WR on the same side of the ball. Amazing it's been held together as long as it has.

Ernie
01-06-2019, 07:49 PM
That's two Divas that don't listen to their agents. I am starting to believe an NFL team can't have more than on egomaniac on the the team and be successful. Steelers have one Drama Queen, one Rappin RB, and one 'Look at Me' WR on the same side of the ball. Amazing it's been held together as long as it has.

held together is about all you can call it.

pittpete
01-06-2019, 07:53 PM
If you read the link, AB did listen to his agent

Steelwolf
01-06-2019, 07:57 PM
If you read the link, AB did listen to his agent

Yep seems like the interview has been iced

Starlifter
01-06-2019, 09:16 PM
the irony of the deebo lost interview is harrison thinks tomlin isn't disciplined enough, and AB thinks HE'S the one in charge......

Steel Maniac
01-06-2019, 10:24 PM
AB is in charge. He’s punked his coach; made the team pay him for a game he was benched. And then was on social media with Harrrison laughing at Tomlin. Looks like a guy who’s running things to me.

RuthlessBurgher
01-07-2019, 03:17 PM
Ben Roethlisberger hopes to keep his offensive line in place

Posted by Mike Florio on January 7, 2019, 1:22 PM EST

So how long will Ben Roethlisberger stay with the Steelers? Possibly only as long as Maurkice Pouncey does.

“He’s a guy my career hinges on because he means that much to me,” Roethlisberger said last week, via Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “As long as he’s around, I’ll be around.”

Amid reports (obvious ones) that the Steelers will try to extend Roethlisberger’s contract, which has one year remaining on it, there’s another contract with one year left on it that the Steelers need to address.

“They can come to me tomorrow and say we want to get your deal done,” Roethlisberger said. “I’ll say, ‘Get Pouncey done first.’ That’s only because I want to make sure he’ll be here.”

Roethlisberger also reached for the current Three Rivers third rail when assessing Pouncey’s value to the team: “I voted for him for MVP. I couldn’t do anything without him.”

The quarterback’s broader objective is to keep the offensive line together, along with offensive line coach Mike Munchak, who could be leaving to coach the Broncos. And for good reason; Roethlisberger has seen good times and bad times on the offensive line. Before Munchak they weren’t good. Before Pouncey they were downright pathetic.

“I pray that fans write as many letters as they can to Mr. [Art] Rooney to keep coach Munchak around,” Roethlisberger said. “He’s such a special coach. When the linemen are happy and love to play for their coach, they play better.”

Roethlisberger also wants guard Ramon Foster to return.

“I told Ramon I’m going to do everything I can to get him back,” Roethlisberger said. “He’s a mainstay. I don’t think he missed a snap all season. He’s smart. He’s a leader on this team. He and Pouncey are thick as thieves. I would fight for any of those guys.”

It’s no surprise that Roethlisberger has a high degree of loyalty to those who block for him. Making it even more noteworthy are the reports suggesting he may not feel the same way about at least one of his pass catchers.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/07/ben-roethlisberger-hopes-to-keep-his-offensive-line-in-place/

williar
01-07-2019, 08:42 PM

So how long will Ben Roethlisberger stay with the Steelers? Possibly only as long as Maurkice Pouncey does.

“He’s a guy my career hinges on because he means that much to me,” Roethlisberger said last week, via Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “As long as he’s around, I’ll be around.”

Amid reports (obvious ones) that the Steelers will try to extend Roethlisberger’s contract, which has one year remaining on it, there’s another contract with one year left on it that the Steelers need to address.

“They can come to me tomorrow and say we want to get your deal done,” Roethlisberger said. “I’ll say, ‘Get Pouncey done first.’ That’s only because I want to make sure he’ll be here.”

Roethlisberger also reached for the current Three Rivers third rail when assessing Pouncey’s value to the team: “I voted for him for MVP. I couldn’t do anything without him.”

The quarterback’s broader objective is to keep the offensive line together, along with offensive line coach Mike Munchak, who could be leaving to coach the Broncos. And for good reason; Roethlisberger has seen good times and bad times on the offensive line. Before Munchak they weren’t good. Before Pouncey they were downright pathetic.

“I pray that fans write as many letters as they can to Mr. [Art] Rooney to keep coach Munchak around,” Roethlisberger said. “He’s such a special coach. When the linemen are happy and love to play for their coach, they play better.”

“I told Ramon I’m going to do everything I can to get him back,” Roethlisberger said. “He’s a mainstay. I don’t think he missed a snap all season. He’s smart. He’s a leader on this team. He and Pouncey are thick as thieves. I would fight for any of those guys.”

It’s no surprise that Roethlisberger has a high degree of loyalty to those who block for him. Making it even more noteworthy are the reports suggesting he may not feel the same way about at least one of his pass catchers.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/07/ben-roethlisberger-hopes-to-keep-his-offensive-line-in-place/ Oh yeah!! Super Bowl, here we come! :wink:;)

Steel Maniac
01-07-2019, 09:19 PM

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/07/ben-roethlisberger-hopes-to-keep-his-offensive-line-in-place/

Nobody respects the judgement or positions of authority of this team. It’s not Ben’s job to keep Pouncey here. If we find a younger, cheaper, better alternative to Pouncey, then what? The patients run this insane asylum. Lol. All they try to do is dictate to management.

RuthlessBurgher
01-08-2019, 12:04 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

In 2015, Steelers center Maurkice Pouncey underwent a gruesome ankle injury that required seven surgeries. Since then, he's made three Pro Bowls and, as of Friday, earned a second-team All-Pro selection.

NorthCoast
01-10-2019, 12:14 AM
Brett Favre, the all-time reckless champ

Gunslinger.

It’s a term used in football to describe a quarterback unafraid of taking risks and hurling balls into coverage downfield.

Patrick Mahomes was called it before the 2017 NFL Draft. The Raiders’ Derek Carr was too. But the gunslingingest gunslinger of them all has always been Favre.

Favre was the NFL MVP three seasons in a row from 1995 to 1997, with at least 35 touchdowns in each year. He was the first to crack 500 career passing touchdowns and his 508 are still second on the all-time list, with Tom Brady and Drew Brees each just 20 behind.

But those touchdown numbers for Favre came because of his high-risk/high-reward style of play. And all that gunslinging meant a ton of interceptions.

Favre finished his career with 336 interceptions, and he is the only quarterback to ever top 280. George Blanda is in second place with 277, and the nearest active players are Drew Brees and Eli Manning, who each have 228.

It’d probably take at least seven or eight more years for either player to reach Favre’s interception numbers. That’s pretty unlikely to happen considering Brees and Manning are 39 and 37, respectively.

After that, there isn’t a single quarterback in the NFL under 30 who even topped 100 interceptions.
Favre is your interception king and always will be. All hail the gunslinger.

For the record, Roethlisberger currently sits at 190 career INTs... no danger to pass Favre.