PDA

View Full Version : Foster Said It

NorthCoast
01-04-2019, 10:13 PM
Foster further touted Tomlin in simple terms: Others, he said, don’t know what happens at the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex and if they did they would know few other than Tomlin could handle what does.

“I don’t think they understand the ins and outs of this job, how to handle the people in this place,” Foster said. "I don’t know if any other coach could do that. I’m being completely honest.

"If they came in that building for two weeks, I think they’d change their hwole mindset about what they think about him and this organization.”

Tomlin would go on to echo a preface of Foster’s. He’s paid well for his work, which includes managing the absurdities of others.

“I don’t want to say unfairly because he’s compensated properly,” Foster said of Tomlin’s treatment. "You know? That’s the first thing they’re gonna say. ‘Well hell, we do this, we pay your salary, we do this.’ It’s — you guys are around. I know I got to say it in order for you guys to throw it out there, but I’m not gonna say it. You guys know how it goes. You guys know.

“You understand the underlining of everything that goes on. And that — he is one of the best at managing it. And sometimes the ropes get pulled a little bit farther.”

https://www.pennlive.com/steelers/2019/01/pair-of-steelers-heavily-back-coaches-heading-into-offseason.html

Oviedo
01-05-2019, 09:11 AM
I'm surprised this "insider information" is being ignored by some posters. Not really! Doesn't support the hate train for Tomlin

Ernie
01-05-2019, 09:24 AM
Ovi...
Do you think Tomlin knew that Porter was a disrupting factor in the locker room, prior to the end of the season?

Oviedo
01-05-2019, 10:53 AM
Ovi...
Do you think Tomlin knew that Porter was a disrupting factor in the locker room, prior to the end of the season?

I have no idea but clearly he took action. Let's not try to portray Porter being an a$$ cost us games. Porter has always been an a$$

Ernie
01-05-2019, 11:04 AM
I have no idea but clearly he took action. Let's not try to portray Porter being an a$$ cost us games. Porter has always been an a$$

I am impressed by the lengths that you will go to defend your coach... despite admitting to not knowing the facts.

The bottom line is... the penalty for insubordination is termination...

the report that I read stated that more than one player stepped forward (late in the year) and stated that Porter was trying to pit players against each other.

and for it to have surfaced late in the year... one would reasonably assume it had begun prior to that...

and if that's the case, Porter should have been fired on the spot... instead of kicking the can down the road to the end of the year. He should have been "Made an example of"..and clearly, he was not... given what I read in the Tomlin presser.

If this were an isolated instance, I'd be more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. Im afraid it's part of a bigger picture... though... One in which most folks seem to "Get".

Chucktownsteeler
01-05-2019, 11:51 AM
If this is true they had to look no further than the Browns. Hue and Haley going at it, they both were fired. End of story.

Sugar
01-05-2019, 11:53 AM
Isn't Foster the Union rep for the Steelers players? I think it's interesting that he is making this kind of statement about management. Anyway, I understand being interested in what goes on behind closed doors with our favorite team, but we really have no idea. I think it's really easy to piece together a false narrative from the pieces that we see and think that gives us the information needed to make a decision.

Northern_Blitz
01-05-2019, 01:29 PM
If this is true they had to look no further than the Browns. Hue and Haley going at it, they both were fired. End of story.

So your argument is that we should emulate the Browns?

pittpete
01-05-2019, 01:41 PM
I'm willing to see what Tomlin has in store for next year....
Winning cures all.

Chucktownsteeler
01-05-2019, 02:01 PM
So your argument is that we should emulate the Browns?

Well, they did come on strong after Hue and Haley were fired and it sent a powerful message.

Ernie
01-05-2019, 02:49 PM
Well, they did come on strong after Hue and Haley were fired and it sent a powerful message.

Absolutely right. Im sure the Browns fans are tickled to death at the trajectory of their franchise.

NorthCoast
01-05-2019, 02:51 PM
Dan Rooney Developed the 'Steeler Way':

Rooney determined that several assistant coaches, including Chuck Noll’s favorite Jed Hughes, had to go.
This was the first time Dan Rooney had never questioned one of Noll’s staffing decisions. Noll resisted Rooney when they discussed the subject before the season, and after Christmas The Emperor went as far as to inform his assistants he that was intent on resigning. Joe Greene alerted Rooney to Noll’s intentions, and Rooney and Noll agreed to continue discussions.

Noll ultimately agreed to fire several assistants, although he saved a job or two in the process per Ed Bouchette’s reporting, and Dan Rooney in turn offered to make him a lifetime employee of the team.

Dan Rooney’s deft handling of a delicate situation remains important for several reasons.
First, he proved that “The Steelers Way” – a middle path between the extremes that normally govern most franchise operations – worked. Second, he also showed that it was possible to honor loyalty and tradition while forcing difficult changes. Third, move also saw the elevation of Tom Donahoe’s profile in the organization, which would be critical to the Steelers success in the 1990’s

On hiring Tomlin:

You’ll find no shortage of fans in Steelers Nation who’ll disagree with this one. They’re entitled to their opinions of course. The facts however speak for themselves.

Taking over a Super Bowl contender is no sure bet to success (just ask Ray Handley or Mike Martz for that matter.)
But Mike Tomlin took an 8-8 2006 Steelers squad and brought home an AFC North Division title in his first season, and bagged Lombardi Number Six in his second in Super Bowl XLIII.

Dan Rooney, Dan Rooney Decisions, Mike Tomlin, Ben Roethlisberger, Dan Rooney decisons
Ben Roethlisberger, Mike Tomlin and Dan Rooney celebrate the Steelers victory in Super Bowl XLIII. Photo Credit: Steelers.com

Two years later he got the team back to the Super Bowl but fell short. Since then has overseen a rebuilding effort without going under .500, and included and an almost heroic turnaround from a disastrous 2-6 start in 2013.

By all accounts, it was Art Rooney II who made the decision to hire Mike Tomlin in 2008, but Dan Rooney signed off on the choice

btw, how many people remember the turn-around of the team in 2013??

Ernie
01-05-2019, 02:53 PM
Coast...

AB situation needs to be dealt with (meaning traded).. If that doesn't happen... Tomlin will be set up for failure in 2019. If they get rid of AB... Tomlin's got a chance....

BURGH86STEEL
01-05-2019, 03:01 PM
Coast...

AB situation needs to be dealt with (meaning traded).. If that doesn't happen... Tomlin will be set up for failure in 2019. If they get rid of AB... Tomlin's got a chance....
I am not sure why it has to be one way or the other. Cooler heads can prevail. There is always a chance that middle ground can be reached.

Ernie
01-05-2019, 03:04 PM
I am not sure why it has to be one way or the other. Cooler heads can prevail. There is always a chance that middle ground can be reached.

If this was an isolated instance with AB, I'd almost buy that. He's been a continual problem though... (for years)..
As long as AB is on the Steelers.... AB>Steelers...and Tomlin has zero credibility with his team.

BURGH86STEEL
01-05-2019, 03:14 PM
If this was an isolated instance with AB, I'd almost buy that. He's been a continual problem though... (for years)..
As long as AB is on the Steelers.... AB>Steelers...and Tomlin has zero credibility with his team.

That is not a form of extremism that I agree with. People can and do change. Time and winning also has a way of healing.

More than likely the Steelers will have a sit down with Brown. What ever happens in that discussion will more than likely determine Brown's future with the organization.

Chucktownsteeler
01-05-2019, 03:29 PM
Absolutely right. Im sure the Browns fans are tickled to death at the trajectory of their franchise.

I think most Browns fans are very pleased withthe steps they took last season. The proof will be if they can continue the momentum.

I don't care what anyone says (and we may never know the truth) if Porter was pitting the defense against the offense he should have been gone right then and there. If Tomlin knew and did nothing, he should have joined him.

Ernie
01-05-2019, 03:55 PM
That is not a form of extremism that I agree with. People can and do change. Time and winning also has a way of healing.

More than likely the Steelers will have a sit down with Brown. What ever happens in that discussion will more than likely determine Brown's future with the organization.

"Extremism".....lmao Not saying I disagree with your post... but I found that word to be a bit much..
The Steelers might though....
since it was just announced on the NFLN that the Steelers will be listening to trade offers for AB prior to the start of free agency.

Ernie
01-05-2019, 03:56 PM
I think most Browns fans are very pleased withthe steps they took last season. The proof will be if they can continue the momentum.

I don't care what anyone says (and we may never know the truth) if Porter was pitting the defense against the offense he should have been gone right then and there. If Tomlin knew and did nothing, he should have joined him.

Most rational fans would agree.

NJ-STEELER
01-05-2019, 04:35 PM
I
the report that I read stated that more than one player stepped forward (late in the year) and stated that Porter was trying to pit players against each other.

".

he used to do the same thing as a player. pin the offense vs. defense.

But somehow, our staff thought he would be a good addition as coach?? Jeez

Disco1981
01-05-2019, 05:37 PM
Ben started this drama very early in the season...We were struggling...Ben and AB were bickering back and forth...Can't remember what game, But we lost at the end...Had 1st and goal at he 1, and lost...

In the postgame Ben said something like " If I had it to do it over, I would have thrown it to JuJu 4 straight times "...

THAT was the 1st shot fired...Ben knew exactly what he was doing, which was basically..." **** you AB "

AB was still wrong at the end of the year, and should have been a little more strong minded ( he's a mental midget so that's not possible ) but Ben turned his knobs...lil Mr.Innocent knew...eventually, that AB is to much of a mental midget to handle...And Ben comes out looking like the " good " guy like always!

* AB was way in the wrong....Just giving you a spin

fordfixer
01-05-2019, 05:50 PM
That was the Denver game

steelz09
01-05-2019, 06:01 PM
Sorry but the job isn't that tough.

Neither is winning a challenge with 10 straight attempts.

NorthCoast
01-05-2019, 09:51 PM
Sorry but the job isn't that tough.

Neither is winning a challenge with 10 straight attempts.Really? Really?? Ask Jon Gruden if the job isn't that tough. Won a SB and slide into mediocrity. Or Tony Dungy with the Colts and Manning, arguably the 2nd best QB ever. Won one SB, lost another and never got back.
It's incredibly difficult to get to a SB in any given year.