PDA

View Full Version : What if we trade AB for 2 1st rounders and get...

flippy
01-02-2019, 04:41 PM
another Jarvis Jones and Artie Burns?

Can Colbert and Tomlin be trusted with trading AB for draft picks? Seems like we could lose cap space + get players that don't pan out.

Odd are about 50/50 for us, so we'd have to get 2 1st rounders. We could also end up with a Decastro and Heyward.

But then again we could end up with Ziggy and Bud....

Steel Maniac
01-02-2019, 04:43 PM
I'm still laughing at AB; AB calling Ryan Clark an Uncle Tom. LMFAO!!

Northern_Blitz
01-02-2019, 04:56 PM
I think we wouldn't get that much for AB.

Other team hear our **** and think:
https://media1.tenor.com/images/ead3db729d7fca8caaca963c55685efa/tenor.gif?itemid=3567415

pittpete
01-02-2019, 08:37 PM
Need to trade up in the 1st to get a stud...20th pick wont cut it

pfelix73
01-03-2019, 12:35 AM
What about a trade with an NFC team like the Lions for that young WR Kenny Golladay and a draft pick? He's impressive and 6'4".. Of course, they would want to make the trade too.

steelz09
01-03-2019, 12:53 AM
Bottom line, you can't just let him walk and eat 20+ mil. That's borderline retarded. You lose one of your best players and pay for it?!?

It's not addition by subtraction. Not in this case.

Disco1981
01-03-2019, 01:29 AM
Bottom line, you can't just let him walk and eat 20+ mil. That's borderline retarded. You lose one of your best players and pay for it?!?

It's not addition by subtraction. Not in this case.

The way Ed Bouchette explained it...With bonus, and the way it's structured...We would only " lose " 6 million...Which actually makes him tradeable

steelz09
01-03-2019, 01:53 AM
The way Ed Bouchette explained it...With bonus, and the way it's structured...We would only " lose " 6 million...Which actually makes him tradeable

That's doable.

brothervad
01-03-2019, 02:06 AM
Take a look at this article when you get a chance with regards to what/who could possibly be involved in a trade. It also details why the $21 million cap hit is a false narrative.

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/1/2/18165357/antonio-brown-steelers-fight-trade-nfl-teams-contract-value

brothervad

Disco1981
01-03-2019, 05:05 AM
Take a look at this article when you get a chance with regards to what/who could possibly be involved in a trade. It also details why the $21 million cap hit is a false narrative.

https://www.sbnation.com/2019/1/2/18165357/antonio-brown-steelers-fight-trade-nfl-teams-contract-value

brothervad

Better yet

Ernie
01-03-2019, 06:57 AM
If we can do some number crunching and get it down to 6 million... at this point it becomes a no brainer. Tomlin needs to regain control of this team.

Rara
01-03-2019, 09:00 AM
If Cooper netted a first round pick..AB should net more. However, I too feel uneasy of how many misses there's been with first round drafted players.

If anything, the Steelers would have enough ammo to trade up a few spots.. something they haven't done in years.

Steel Maniac
01-03-2019, 09:27 AM
It depends how high the first round picks are. The higher they are , the better the odds Colbert won’t mess up.

Captain Lemming
01-03-2019, 10:28 AM
It depends how high the first round picks are. The higher they are , the better the odds Colbert won’t mess up.

Very true.
Think about it.
Colbert has NEVER picked a pro bowl level secondary player (with Cowher or Tomlin) ........save for the one trade up to get Troy.

K Train
01-03-2019, 10:36 AM
another Jarvis Jones and Artie Burns?

Can Colbert and Tomlin be trusted with trading AB for draft picks? Seems like we could lose cap space + get players that don't pan out.

Odd are about 50/50 for us, so we'd have to get 2 1st rounders. We could also end up with a Decastro and Heyward.

But then again we could end up with Ziggy and Bud....

Hes the best WR in the league....chad johnson had 2 first round picks offered for him, and he was a circus and not as good.

Lots of other examples....Percy Harvin a 1/3/7 for him and he was injury prone and had migraines. Brandin Cooks has been traded for multiple first rounders in multiple years

Id imagine it would take either 2 firsts, or like a top 5 pick to get him

K Train
01-03-2019, 10:39 AM
Very true.
Think about it.
Colbert has NEVER picked a pro bowl level secondary player (with Cowher or Tomlin) ........save for the one trade up to get Troy.

Colbert has been in charge of the teams draft since 2000...he was named the teams first ever GM in 2010, but was director of football operations prior to that. So he did draft polamalu, which seems like a lifetime ago but not many GMs have a HOF DB on their resume

EDIT: Misread your post, thought you meant someone else drafted Troy. Secondary has been ugly for sure, but even the guys ive wanted really badly over the years have been gone before the steelers picked (in the first round, obviuosly). Peters and Earl Thomas come to mind, both of which sound lovely to work with.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-03-2019, 10:41 AM
Trading AB is a real option. I hate to lose the player but I think the AXE is being sharpened. For the right Buyer...

It is a shame if it happens...But I would support it.

The things he has done leads me to believe he has a clause in his contract that he can reject a trade he doesn't like. He's really backing the organization into a corner. The interview with Deebo might end him.

1st, 3rd, Player...Would probably get it done.

Steel Maniac
01-03-2019, 10:48 AM
I"m not opposed to moving him either. When he talks, he sounds like he's in another world. He can go hold T.O.'s hand and they can sign Kumbya together as far as I'm concerned.

K Train
01-03-2019, 10:51 AM
I"m not opposed to moving him either. When he talks, he sounds like he's in another world. He can go hold T.O.'s hand and they can sign Kumbya together as far as I'm concerned.

Ive been able to tell from his posts on social media the last few years hes turned into quite the narcissist, just so different from the young kid they drafted in the 6th round. Its so easy to overlook when its a non-issue, but here we are

Steel Maniac
01-03-2019, 10:53 AM
Ive been able to tell from his posts on social media the last few years hes turned into quite the narcissist, just so different from the young kid they drafted in the 6th round. Its so easy to overlook when its a non-issue, but here we are

Yeah, it's amazing to me that he's so far gone.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-03-2019, 11:01 AM

brothervad
I'd take that Lions deal... 1st and a 3rd... and Reeves-Maybin is an athlete - see what he could do with our coaching...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-03-2019, 11:08 AM
He wants 49ers? Give it to him. Swap #2 for #20 call it a day. KC trade back he can have picks & Top 10 player.

Rara
01-03-2019, 11:14 AM
I'd take that Lions deal... 1st and a 3rd... and Reeves-Maybin is an athlete - see what he could do with our coaching...

I like these offers in this order (most to satisfied)

The offer: The Cowboys 2019 first-round pick (acquired in the Cooper trade), the Bears’ 2020 third-round pick (acquired in the Mack trade), and safety Karl Joseph

The offer: San Francisco’s 2020 first-round pick, San Francisco’s 2019 fourth-round pick, defensive end Solomon Thomas OR San Francisco’s 2019 second-round pick, quarterback Nick Mullens

The offer: Indianapolis’ 2019 first-round pick, the Jets’ 2019 second-round pick (acquired in 2018 draft swap), Indianapolis’ 2020 fifth-round pick

Steel Maniac
01-03-2019, 11:15 AM

brothervad

Lions deal is sweet.

Northern_Blitz
01-03-2019, 11:19 AM
Hes the best WR in the league....chad johnson had 2 first round picks offered for him, and he was a circus and not as good.

Lots of other examples....Percy Harvin a 1/3/7 for him and he was injury prone and had migraines. Brandin Cooks has been traded for multiple first rounders in multiple years

Id imagine it would take either 2 firsts, or like a top 5 pick to get him

He also literally quit on his team. That has to hurt his value

Rara
01-03-2019, 11:21 AM
He wants 49ers? Give it to him. Swap #2 for #20 call it a day. KC trade back he can have picks & Top 10 player.

I'd ask for such a high offer and work down to a reasonable offer that favors Pittsburgh since Brown is jizzing his pants over Kittle flirting over twitter.

I do like the offer mentioned in the thread:

The offer: San Francisco’s 2020 first-round pick, San Francisco’s 2019 fourth-round pick, defensive end Solomon Thomas

Steelers get another first for next year and Solomon Thomas who could need a new scenary. Hayward is already listed as a defensive tackle since this season. Could have a mean 4 man defensive line (4-3) with
Tuitt, Hargrave, Hayward and Thomas.

steelz09
01-03-2019, 11:40 AM
If we could get 2 first rounders for AB and relief from his cap hit then you pull the trigger.

Obvious, no guarantees on the outcome of the picks but I still think that would be a wise investment.

You could go QB and deal Rudolph or the rookie possibly in the future.

You could trade down and stockpile even more picks in the 1st 3 rounds.

Lots of options....

You stand a much better chance at filling our gaps at CB, FS, OLB (assuming Dupree isn't signed) and ILB. I put ILB slightly lower on the priority list.

We would have a lot of cap room as well especially with the 15 mil that Bell decided to forgo this season that gets rolled over to next year.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-03-2019, 11:42 AM
We won't get what AB is worth. He will dictate where he goes by requesting permission to negotiate contract on trade. Teams won't give those draft assets without assurance he will play.

For example...If he wants 49ers..He will negotiate contract...Steelers & 49ers work out compensation...It will be a trade & extension by 49ers. He's not going to new team to play on game checks on the wrong side of 30. It will be lots of give & take to get it done.

Sugar
01-03-2019, 11:43 AM
Can you imagine if AB and LB were reunited in Indy with Andrew Luck?

RuthlessBurgher
01-03-2019, 11:53 AM
Alter the Oakland suggestion slightly:

Give up AB, Artie Burns, and Morgan Burnett.

Get back the Cowboys 2019 first-round pick (acquired in the Cooper trade), the Bears’ 2020 third-round pick (acquired in the Mack trade), safety Karl Joseph, and corner Gareon Conley.

A secondary featuring Haden, Conley, and Hilton at CB and Joseph, Edmunds, and Davis at safety would give us some solid options for nickel and dime defenses, plus we'd get that extra draft capital as well.

steelz09
01-03-2019, 11:55 AM

Get back the Cowboys 2019 first-round pick (acquired in the Cooper trade), the Bears’ 2020 third-round pick (acquired in the Mack trade), safety Karl Joseph, and corner Gareon Conley.

A secondary featuring Haden, Conley, and Hilton at CB and Joseph, Edmunds, and Davis at safety would give us some solid options for nickel and dime defenses, plus we'd get that extra draft capital as well.

SOLD! Quick, get Colbert on the line.

Steel Maniac
01-03-2019, 11:56 AM
He also literally quit on his team. That has to hurt his value

Big time. !!

Steel Maniac
01-03-2019, 11:57 AM

I'm on board with this as well. Options and draft picks is a win/win for us.

RuthlessBurgher
01-03-2019, 12:04 PM
Other options:

AB to Indy for their 2019 first round pick plus LB Darius Leonard.

AB to Buffalo for their 2019 second round pick, the Raiders' 2019 5th round pick (obtained in a trade for A.J. McCarron), and LB Tremaine Edmunds.

RuthlessBurgher
01-03-2019, 12:11 PM
AB to Dallas for their 2019 first round pick plus LB Leighton Vander Esch.

Buzz
01-03-2019, 12:47 PM
Can't see Indy giving up Leonard or Dallas giving up Vander Esch. Some variation of your Oakland or Buffalo proposals might work out, though.

K Train
01-03-2019, 01:10 PM
Other options:

AB to Buffalo for their 2019 second round pick, the Raiders' 2019 5th round pick (obtained in a trade for A.J. McCarron), and LB Tremaine Edmunds.

Leonard was one of my favorite prospects

papillon
01-03-2019, 01:20 PM
Assuming Ben is being truthful and will return next year then I believe any deal has to include known commodities and impact players to try and maximize Ben's final year or two. Draft picks would be my preference but there is no guarantee they pan out and even if they do, the Steelers could still miss the window with Ben. They need the players that they believe will put them over the top next year, the year after and possibly the following year. Waiting for players to develop or missing on draft picks doesn't maximize their chance at a title.

Pappy

Northern_Blitz
01-03-2019, 01:51 PM
Assuming Ben is being truthful and will return next year then I believe any deal has to include known commodities and impact players to try and maximize Ben's final year or two. Draft picks would be my preference but there is no guarantee they pan out and even if they do, the Steelers could still miss the window with Ben. They need the players that they believe will put them over the top next year, the year after and possibly the following year. Waiting for players to develop or missing on draft picks doesn't maximize their chance at a title.

Pappy

I agree that Ben's window diminishes the value of premium picks.

But if we could get something good for Brown (like the 2nd OA pick people mentioned above), maybe we also try to see what we could get for Ben. Then, maybe use the super high pick to get a QB, and the return on Ben to get picks that could shore up the D.

I don't think this would happen (maybe Ben would just retire at that point), but to me trading Brown means we have to entertain the option of blowing everything up.

Rara
01-03-2019, 01:57 PM
Other options:

Not sure you're mocking the offers I posted and credited...but I didn't make any of those. However, yours are just making a trade complicated. Good thing you're not a GM.

Iron City Inc.
01-03-2019, 02:52 PM
IF we trade AB it will be before that March date prior to paying out the 2.5 large he is due at that time. Between now n then a lot could come out. We would likely have a half dozen valid offers for AB. Most I would believe would be a draft pick now and a 2nd based on performance which we could receive in the 2020 draft. Could not blame anyone for asking for that as a way of not overpaying for this sure future HOFer who is acting odd of late.

RuthlessBurgher
01-03-2019, 03:23 PM
Not sure you're mocking the offers I posted and credited...but I didn't make any of those. However, yours are just making a trade complicated. Good thing you're not a GM.

What??? I'm just throwing out a few ideas that I think I might be interested in, and seeing if anyone else might think such suggestions might be worth it as well. Isn't that the point of a discussion board?

Adding some other potential trade ideas is making this fictional trade more complicated? So I should just accept the suggestions that a sportswriter came up with and that is that?

If that's the case, then maybe you should have just accepted the first 2019 mock draft from Mel Kiper or Todd McShay and put that in your sig, since coming up with your own ideas is just making this upcoming draft too complicated. Good thing you're not a GM either.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-03-2019, 08:36 PM
I would think that any trade including players in return should include a receiver. Aside from Brown, there are only three receivers under contract in 2019: JuJu, Switzer, and Washington. This is not supposed to be a great draft for WRs, which will just drive up the FA cost of the below par FA crop. I think that a reasonable goal starts with a first rounder and a good young receiver - and go from there. If looking to spend FA dollars, I'd rather go for a proven commodity than gamble on using the extra draft pick on another CB.

Captain Lemming
01-04-2019, 01:58 AM
I agree that Ben's window diminishes the value of premium picks.

But if we could get something good for Brown (like the 2nd OA pick people mentioned above), maybe we also try to see what we could get for Ben. Then, maybe use the super high pick to get a QB, and the return on Ben to get picks that could shore up the D.

I don't think this would happen (maybe Ben would just retire at that point), but to me trading Brown means we have to entertain the option of blowing everything up.

Ben has TWO RINGS without Brown, Bell orany of these ego-maniacal clowns.
Wjhat got those rings was Ben plus a better defense.

If we play our cards right , we wind up a BETTER team with a BETTER chance with Ben.

Ernie
01-04-2019, 10:46 AM
heck yea captain.. I like your way of thinking

Northern_Blitz
01-04-2019, 11:04 AM
Ben has TWO RINGS without Brown, Bell orany of these ego-maniacal clowns.
Wjhat got those rings was Ben plus a better defense.

If we play our cards right , we wind up a BETTER team with a BETTER chance with Ben.

I think this is the reason I'll be OK if they end up trading Brown. I'd prefer it if cooler heads prevail, but I'm not sure AB can do that at this point.

But, I also think that we spend so much on O because (1) we have a franchise QB off his rookie deal and (2) it's our offensive draft picks that panned out (and our best defensive draft pick had a catastrophic injury).

An interesting corollary to Lemming's point is that that none of the top 5 highest paid QBs are in the playoffs this year. I think we should keep Ben as long as he wants to play*, but that gives me some hope that it may not be a wasteland after he leaves.

* The potential deviation from this would be if we get a high trade AB and then we can also get a great return on Ben. If we could do something like that and end up with 3-4 1st round picks (maybe 1-2 very early picks) then it might reset our championship window in one year. But there's about a 99.99999999% that doesn't happen, so I'd rather he plays the rest of his career here.

RuthlessBurgher
01-04-2019, 11:31 AM
I would think that any trade including players in return should include a receiver. Aside from Brown, there are only three receivers under contract in 2019: JuJu, Switzer, and Washington. This is not supposed to be a great draft for WRs, which will just drive up the FA cost of the below par FA crop. I think that a reasonable goal starts with a first rounder and a good young receiver - and go from there. If looking to spend FA dollars, I'd rather go for a proven commodity than gamble on using the extra draft pick on another CB.

Since we are traditionally good at finding quality WR's in the draft and traditionally bad at finding quality DB's in the draft, I'd prefer that a good young DB is included (along with draft picks) in the return for AB. We should still be able to use the extra picks we get to find our next WR prospect, in spite of what draft experts are saying about a possible down year for receivers.

Steel Maniac
01-05-2019, 11:55 AM
I think this is the reason I'll be OK if they end up trading Brown. I'd prefer it if cooler heads prevail, but I'm not sure AB can do that at this point.

But, I also think that we spend so much on O because (1) we have a franchise QB off his rookie deal and (2) it's our offensive draft picks that panned out (and our best defensive draft pick had a catastrophic injury).

An interesting corollary to Lemming's point is that that none of the top 5 highest paid QBs are in the playoffs this year. I think we should keep Ben as long as he wants to play*, but that gives me some hope that it may not be a wasteland after he leaves.

* The potential deviation from this would be if we get a high trade AB and then we can also get a great return on Ben. If we could do something like that and end up with 3-4 1st round picks (maybe 1-2 very early picks) then it might reset our championship window in one year. But there's about a 99.99999999% that doesn't happen, so I'd rather he plays the rest of his career here.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001007809/article/steelers-expected-to-hear-trade-offers-for-antonio-brown?campaign=Twitter_atn

Steel Maniac
01-05-2019, 11:56 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001007809/article/steelers-expected-to-hear-trade-offers-for-antonio-brown?campaign=Twitter_atn

Steelers are listening to offers.

Ernie
01-05-2019, 12:29 PM
My guess is... Rooney didn't take too kindly to AB sticking his nose up at him (not returning his call).

Good for him.

Disco1981
01-05-2019, 01:30 PM
SOLD! Quick, get Colbert on the line.

Oh, How I wish trades like this actually happened...We go into the year set, with a STRONG secondary...Now use your TWO 1st round picks on ILB and OLB...****ty D to
really good D...

2nd: WR...Should be a really good one
3rd: TE...Again, Should be a really good one...

You offset Brown by now having a really good D...Get a young ( hopefully ) very good WR to replace him, and again ( hopefully ) a really good young TE...You pair him with McDonald and more 2 TE sets

Ben, Conner, JuJu, ( new guy ) Wahington, McDonald( new TE ) and maybe a cheap FA type WR:tt2

Stacked offense and defense by LOSING a great player

It's always fun to dream!

Northern_Blitz
01-05-2019, 01:31 PM

I think that they will listen to offers (that's the GM's job after all).

But they aren't allowed to do anything until March, so it's all kind of pointless now.

Also, it's not hard to embed links.

steeler_george
01-05-2019, 04:20 PM
I think that they will listen to offers (that's the GM's job after all).

But they aren't allowed to do anything until March, so it's all kind of pointless now.

Also, it's not hard to embed links.

Wasn't A. Smith trade to Washington agreed upon before the the nfl new year...

Steel Maniac
01-06-2019, 05:44 PM
Where there’s smoke,

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/01/steelers-expected-to-trade-antonio-brown-by-march?fv-home=true&post-id=128965

fordfixer
01-06-2019, 06:36 PM
Steelers Expected To Trade Antonio Brown By March?

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/01/steelers-expected-to-trade-antonio-brown-by-march?fv-home=true&post-id=128965

January 6th, 2019 at 10:36am CST by Rory Parks
Not only will the Steelers be entertaining trade offers for Antonio Brown, but ESPN’s Chris Mortensen expects Brown to be dealt by the first week of March (video link). Mortensen says the star wideout has ignored phone calls from ownership and from head coach Mike Tomlin, and while he has had some communication with support staff, it looks as though he is trying to separate himself from Pittsburgh.

Brown is due a $2.5MM roster bonus when the new league year begins in March, and Mortensen believes the Steelers will trade Brown before they have to pay that bonus. While Brown’s significant salary cap hit has been cited as a deterrent to such a trade, Mortensen observes that the Steelers will be credited with $14.5MM towards the 2019 cap because of the Le’Veon Bell situation, and if the team extends quarterback Ben Roethlisberger as expected, that could open up more cap space.

Jeremy Fowler of ESPN.com tweets that one NFL GM believes Brown will not be traded and that the Steelers will be able to resolve their differences with him. But if that does not happen, Pittsburgh may have enough cap flexibility to make a trade feasible.

The Steelers are said to be seeking at least a first-round pick in exchange for the increasingly-mercurial Brown.

Steel Maniac
01-06-2019, 06:42 PM
So management has set their price to be a first round pick. Seems to me they’ve already decided to move on.

pittpete
01-06-2019, 07:56 PM
Steel, its just speculation...
The more the media keeps posting it, people believe its coming from the organization

Steel Maniac
01-06-2019, 08:11 PM
Okay .............

brothervad
01-06-2019, 08:15 PM
I am sure that the Steelers are listening to offers. It's just common sense. If let's say Mike Mayock and Jon Gruden come to the Steelers and offer two #1's don't you think the Steelers should listen?

brothervad

pittpete
01-07-2019, 12:13 AM
Read through all these so called reports
They keep using the words
more likely
if
could
may
I am willing to think
It’s far too early to assume
expected
potentially

That was just from one report LOL

pittpete
01-07-2019, 01:01 PM
National media narrative about Steelers plans to trade Antonio Brown is pure speculation >>
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/1/7/18171319/national-media-narrative-about-steelers-plans-to-trade-antonio-brown-is-pure-speculation-nfl-news?fbclid=IwAR2ouC5b88X5nyMfdJDAY_PkQLXTIJs7Q5k3 0gY7x0kpawzwr8sLub-Kc2I

Steel Maniac
01-07-2019, 01:09 PM
National media narrative about Steelers plans to trade Antonio Brown is pure speculation >>
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/1/7/18171319/national-media-narrative-about-steelers-plans-to-trade-antonio-brown-is-pure-speculation-nfl-news?fbclid=IwAR2ouC5b88X5nyMfdJDAY_PkQLXTIJs7Q5k3 0gY7x0kpawzwr8sLub-Kc2I

Okay..I'll give you that; We are in a wait and see mode. But I think he's gone. You can't do what he did to the coach on social media and stay. But we'll see what management does in the coming weeks.

flippy
01-07-2019, 01:31 PM
Okay..I'll give you that; We are in a wait and see mode. But I think he's gone. You can't do what he did to the coach on social media and stay. But we'll see what management does in the coming weeks.

He pretty much got away with the same thing last year with the FB Live Call God session from the locker room. He made it clear he's an odd bird at that point.

If he wasn't such a good player, he'd have been gone last season.

To the Steelers credit, they seem to be adjusting and trying to draft more high character guys.

I think it's ironic that AB's still driven by being passed over and drafted in the 6th round like it was a crime. But now with his actions, we're probably seeing why teams shied away from him.

Steel Maniac
01-07-2019, 01:57 PM
If you look at (and read) what AB posted on facebook, all that physco babble coming from him. He sounds like he's on drugs or on another planet entirely.

Disco1981
01-07-2019, 02:09 PM
If you look at (and read) what AB posted on facebook, all that physco babble coming from him. He sounds like he's on drugs or on another planet entirely.

Whatever happens he is strange af :tt2