PDA

View Full Version : First 3 changes Steelers need to make this offseason

Jooser
01-02-2019, 09:16 AM
This is an opinion piece from SteelersWire, but not too far off the mark.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/02/first-3-changes-the-steelers-need-to-make-this-offseason/

First 3 changes Steelers need to make this offseason
By: Curt Popejoy | 8 hours ago

With the 2018 season in the books for the Pittsburgh Steelers, it is time to reflect back on what worked and what didn’t and begin to formulate a plan for the 2019 season. There’s already been plenty of action in just two days, but none of it has been positive. Nevertheless, the business of the Steelers has to move on, so we thought we’d share our thoughts on the first three things we would do — not relating to the roster — if we were in charge. And no, we have not included firing head coach Mike Tomlin in our three.

Fire Joey Porter
There is no argument about Porter’s resume as a player. He is one of the best outside linebackers to ever suit up for the Steelers. But since he joined the team as the outside linebackers coach in 2015, very little has gone right for the position. His coaching did nothing for the development of any outside linebackers this team has brought in. Pittsburgh spent first-round picks on Jarvis Jones and Bud Dupree, and neither has panned out. There are some really interesting young outside linebackers on the roster, and we’d love to see someone else work with them.

Make Mike Munchak co-offensive coordinator
It might be pointless to try to keep Munchak, the offensive line coach, but if I am in charge I certainly try. Give him a new title and a big fat raise to go along with it. Whether it’s as assistant head coach, co-offensive coordinator or whatever, Pittsburgh needs to do everything in their power to convince Munchak not to take a head coaching position somewhere else.

Fire Keith Butler
Enough is enough. There is too much talent on the Steelers’ defensive roster to see such inconsistent effort. Butler took over the job of defensive coordinator in 2015 and still hasn’t found the formula for getting all these top picks to play together for an entire game. The defense held this team back all season, and with the window to make the Super Bowl closing, that side of the football needs a spark. Butler isn’t going to give it to them.

Oviedo
01-02-2019, 09:34 AM
This is an opinion piece from SteelersWire, but not too far off the mark.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/02/first-3-changes-the-steelers-need-to-make-this-offseason/

100% support all the above

Ernie
01-02-2019, 09:46 AM
I think the Munchak proposal is a pipe dream. would be sweet if it actually worked though!

Steel Maniac
01-02-2019, 09:47 AM
Love all those moves.

Ernie
01-02-2019, 09:51 AM
curious to know what actions the organization will take to clean up the drama. perhaps Tomlin will share some insight today at his presser

Northern_Blitz
01-02-2019, 10:08 AM
I think I'd do all three of these (but I already thought Munchak was an "Assistant HC".

JAR
01-02-2019, 10:11 AM
I think I'd do all three of these (but I already thought Munchak was an "Assistant HC".

John Mitchell is the assistant head coach

Jooser
01-02-2019, 10:26 AM

They pulled that move with Russ Grimm, remember? He wasn't too happy when he wasn't named HC when Cowher left as I remember. I'm not sure if Munchak would fall for such a thing. IMHO, he's probably gone, and if he has family in Denver, that's probably his destination.....

Ernie
01-02-2019, 10:38 AM
if munchak leaves that will be a devastating start to an already disappointment off season

flippy
01-02-2019, 11:43 AM
I've heard lots of fans complain about Porter over the years, but why? I can honestly say, I have no idea of knowing if he's good or bad as a coach?

Same was always said about Carnell Lake and has our secondary gotten better since his departure?

Are these positional coaches responsible for the players they're given to work with? Or is that some of the problem as well?

I think it's easier to complain about the HC and OC/DC because there's more to judge them on as a fan. Positional coaches? I dunno if any of us really have that great of insight.

Ghost
01-02-2019, 12:31 PM
The issue with firing Butler is I think it's ceremonial. Tomlin is running the D. Maybe bringing in a guy he trusts to actually run it makes a difference. In the press conference after the Pats game Tomlin let it slip that the wide open TD early on was because he was arguing with an official and didn't get the right play called into the D. Unless he's running the D; there's no reason for that to happen. Butler would just be a scapegoat firing.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-02-2019, 02:23 PM
I've heard lots of fans complain about Porter over the years, but why? I can honestly say, I have no idea of knowing if he's good or bad as a coach?

Same was always said about Carnell Lake and has our secondary gotten better since his departure?

Are these positional coaches responsible for the players they're given to work with? Or is that some of the problem as well?

I think it's easier to complain about the HC and OC/DC because there's more to judge them on as a fan. Positional coaches? I dunno if any of us really have that great of insight.
Agreed. It'd be one thing if we had talent oozing all over the place and the LBs were just sucking.
BUT...
they found a way to get Dupree to be moderately productive.
TJs a stud.
Shazier is injured.
You know what you have with Bostic and VW.
And did he really make a Jarvis Jones argument (that dude isn't in the league right now). If anything, that's cause to fire Colbert
Can't say that i see a *cause* to fire Porter.

Chucktownsteeler
01-02-2019, 03:46 PM
I agree with the 3 listed above and please add Danny "the wad" Smith to the list.

K Train
01-02-2019, 03:55 PM
I thought dupree was pretty good this year and watt obviously had a really good year tied for 8th in sacks and 2nd in FF (with Mack). Hard to really pin anything on porter, hes an assistant coach...not like hes calling plays or in charge of the schematics. That said, since hes merely an assistant i wont lose any sleep over relieving him of his duties

Northern_Blitz
01-02-2019, 05:03 PM
The issue with firing Butler is I think it's ceremonial. Tomlin is running the D. Maybe bringing in a guy he trusts to actually run it makes a difference. In the press conference after the Pats game Tomlin let it slip that the wide open TD early on was because he was arguing with an official and didn't get the right play called into the D. Unless he's running the D; there's no reason for that to happen. Butler would just be a scapegoat firing.

Why do you think Tomlin is "running the D"? Or maybe a better question is, what do you mean by that?

My understanding is that Butler is the one with the play sheet on game day. Doesn't that mean he's the one calling the plays?

Ernie
01-02-2019, 05:32 PM
I thought Butler was on the chopping block last year...and Tomlin basically stuck his neck out for him by saying something to the extent that he (Tomlin) was calling the plays? Maybe I'm wrong about that but I swear it was something along those lines (which is admirable).

Steel Maniac
01-02-2019, 05:58 PM
Your right Ernie. But Tomlin ( from what he said this morning) seems like he’s going to wack Butler.

Ghost
01-02-2019, 06:24 PM
12/31 and Post-gazette says Tomlin is more involved with the D than ever. Tomlin admitted a call was blown because he missed calling it in arguing with an official. Why is the head coach calling in D plays if he’s not running the D? If Butler was making the calls a Pats WR would not have been open by 30 yards.

I think Tomlin is calling all the shots on D and Butler is a figure head. Butler is not calling anything w/o the seal of approval from Tomlin.

Northern_Blitz
01-02-2019, 06:37 PM
12/31 and Post-gazette says Tomlin is more involved with the D than ever. Tomlin admitted a call was blown because he missed calling it in arguing with an official. Why is the head coach calling in D plays if he’s not running the D? If Butler was making the calls a Pats WR would not have been open by 30 yards.

I think Tomlin is calling all the shots on D and Butler is a figure head. Butler is not calling anything w/o the seal of approval from Tomlin.

My understanding is that SOP in the NFL is for coordinators to call the majority of the plays and the HC to make a few calls a game (probably from a list the coordinator provides).

Personally, I would assume that the guy with the play sheet is the guy calling the plays.

Ghost
01-02-2019, 07:38 PM
My understanding is that SOP in the NFL is for coordinators to call the majority of the plays and the HC to make a few calls a game (probably from a list the coordinator provides).

Personally, I would assume that the guy with the play sheet is the guy calling the plays.

Then that would go against what all three Steelers reporters have been reporting all season. It comes up on a weekly basis. But hey, I’m sure you know more than the guys in the locker room.

pittpete
01-02-2019, 08:24 PM
Bud Dupree isnt worth the $9 mil + he's due in 2019

SteelerOfDeVille
01-03-2019, 01:43 PM
Bud Dupree isnt worth the $9 mil + he's due in 2019
Agreed. Is there a sign and trade in the NFL? LOL