01-01-2019, 03:51 PM
you know we have a AB thread already

Oviedo
01-01-2019, 03:55 PM
Per profootballrumors.com

Bye!!!!!!!!!!

RobinCole
01-01-2019, 04:04 PM
Wonder if AB thinks throwing temper tantrums and otherwise acting like a jerk makes him attractive to other teams....

Of course, Belichick probably would take him. He took Josh Gordon, Aqib Talib and blunt-smoking Blount. And drafted Aaron Hernandez knowing of his gangsta baggage dating back to high school and college. And tolerated Hernandez until murder charges forced his hand. Yeah, the same Belichick who supposedly doesn’t tolerate troublemakers and never lies on injury reports. Yeah, the same Belichick who is honest as the day is long and would never cheat....but is much admired by many on this board.

Buzz
01-01-2019, 04:07 PM
$21 million cap hit if we trade him before June 1 ... the only way we could afford this, IMO, is if Ben retired.

But we might not be able to afford NOT to trade the disgruntled diva.

Steelers are in a tough spot.

Steel Maniac
01-01-2019, 04:08 PM
I don’t understand what is wrong with AB. He got the money, has been acknowledged as one of the best.

AB has turned into a full T.O.

Steel Maniac
01-01-2019, 04:10 PM
Bye!!!!!!!!!!

It’s just a website name. :rolleyes:

Very credible site.. one of the best. Obviously you don’t know about it. :rolleyes:

Steel Maniac
01-01-2019, 04:13 PM
This is Tomlin’s fault for AB turning into this.. thing he’s turned into. The coddling by him. AB showed this side of himself with the video taping incident and Tomlin didn’t adequately discipline him then.. stroking him off and saying,” please don’t do this anymore okay?”

papillon
01-01-2019, 04:16 PM
The website claims that Brown has asked "not" to be traded.

Geesh...going to be a long off-season

Pappy

RobinCole
01-01-2019, 04:17 PM
Oh bull****. How does a coach turn a player into a jerk unless the player is already a jerk.

squidkid
01-01-2019, 04:57 PM
Oh bull****. How does a coach turn a player into a jerk unless the player is already a jerk.

IDK, is a child born spoiled or do the parents spoil him?

Steel Maniac
01-01-2019, 06:13 PM
The website claims that Brown has asked "not" to be traded.

Geesh...going to be a long off-season

Pappy

They are now recanting the story. But here’s what they initially said.
https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/01/steelers-antonio-brown-requests-trade?fv-home=true&post-id=128499

Steel Maniac
01-01-2019, 06:13 PM

Boom.............

Northern_Blitz
01-01-2019, 06:44 PM

Didn't Brown grow up without parents?

Maybe that's a bigger issue than the coach he has as a grown man.

I also thought that the rumor was that he was pissed at Ben (but Tomlin)

I'm sure this will all get fixed by the start of next season

Ernie
01-01-2019, 06:51 PM
according to Ike Taylor.. this problem with AB is ALOT bigger than this latest deal... going all the way back to 2012. It sounds to me like it's just reached a boiling point

Steel Maniac
01-01-2019, 06:52 PM
Antonio Brown has turned into 50% T.O. and growing. It will take someone in a leadership position to get him in line. Someone with a backbone and strong will.

Steel Maniac
01-01-2019, 06:53 PM
according to Ike Taylor.. this problem with AB is ALOT bigger than this latest deal... going all the way back to 2012. It sounds to me like it's just reached a boiling point

Where can I find this Ike Taylor info? I want to dig deeper.

hawaiiansteel
01-01-2019, 06:53 PM
Antonio Brown has turned into 50% T.O. and growing. It will take someone in a leadership position to get him in line. Someone with a backbone and strong will.

you mean someone who will bench AB for a whole game even though that team's playoff chances are on the line?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-01-2019, 06:54 PM
$21 million cap hit if we trade him before June 1 ... the only way we could afford this, IMO, is if Ben retired.

While it would be tough to take the hit, and the Steelers rarely eat that kind of dough, this might be the one time that the Steelers can afford to pull this kind of move.

While the dead money hit is $21M, the cap hit if he stays is a bit more than $22M. Furthermore, the Steelers have approx. $28M available thanks to the Bell situation, so that money helps the team out. Add $1M more if Brown is traded. There are currently 38 players under contract, so that money has to go towards 15 players. Not easy, but can definitely be done, and the following two years will be saved of Brown's cap number.

The Steelers currently have 7 draft picks. If you trade Brown for perhaps a first rounder then that's 8 picks and need 16 players. Approx. $9M to cover that. That leaves Approx. $20M for 8 players.

Exclusive rights FAs can be tendered for around $650K each, and they would include Feiler and Hilton. Add a second round RFA tender (or contract extension) on Finney and you are around $4.5M for those three leaving 5 players to be signed and $15.5M.

I'd offer Fort a deal for a first year hit around $2.5M. Other potential re-signs are Foster, Alualu, Chick, Rogers. Somewhere in there can also be a FA signing with a low first year hit but a bigger hit moving forward that they'll be able to afford without the Brown contract.

All of this excludes potential bigger moves like cutting Gilbert ($4.915 savings, Feiler starts, Hawkins and Okorafor backup) and withdrawing the fifth year tender on Dupree and try to sign him at a lower deal - or not (currently on the books at $9.2M. I don't mind keeping on the roster, but would prefer him at a number that allows him to either be a starter or backup. Closer to $3-4M).

Not saying that the Steelers should trade Brown, but they can. If the situation around the team and his attitude is as bad as some of the reports say, then I think that you do have to. Especially if you keep Tomlin.

Ernie
01-01-2019, 06:56 PM
you mean someone who will bench AB for a whole game even though that team's playoff chances are on the line?

you do realize the league is looking at our injury report from last week... right?

Steel Maniac
01-01-2019, 06:58 PM
No he doesn’t. He’s in Tomlin lover mode right now.

Steel Maniac
01-01-2019, 07:00 PM

That someone who is under league investigation for lying and being spineless with the truth? No. That’s not who I was referring to.

Ernie
01-01-2019, 07:01 PM
I agreed wholeheartedly with the decision to bench him.. I'm afraid there's alot more to the story than that... though

Moonie
01-01-2019, 07:03 PM
you do realize the league is looking at our injury report from last week... right?

Is there an article that says this? I haven't been able to find one (as of 5:02pm on 1/1/19).

Steel Maniac
01-01-2019, 07:03 PM
I know one thing; Tomlin has the cleanest testicles I know from all the ball washing he gets from certain posters. Lol

RobinCole
01-01-2019, 07:10 PM
Go root for the Pats, Maniac. You’d be much more “elated” and Belichick is more your speed. A guy who’s been lying in injury reports (and otherwise cheating) for years. And now you pretend to be indignant about Tomlin doing it once - - if he did. What a farce.

Northern_Blitz
01-01-2019, 07:12 PM
While it would be tough to take the hit, and the Steelers rarely eat that kind of dough, this might be the one time that the Steelers can afford to pull this kind of move.

While the dead money hit is $21M, the cap hit if he stays is a bit more than $22M. Furthermore, the Steelers have approx. $28M available thanks to the Bell situation, so that money helps the team out. Add $1M more if Brown is traded. There are currently 38 players under contract, so that money has to go towards 15 players. Not easy, but can definitely be done, and the following two years will be saved of Brown's cap number.

The Steelers currently have 7 draft picks. If you trade Brown for perhaps a first rounder then that's 8 picks and need 16 players. Approx. $9M to cover that. That leaves Approx. $20M for 8 players.

Exclusive rights FAs can be tendered for around $650K each, and they would include Feiler and Hilton. Add a second round RFA tender (or contract extension) on Finney and you are around $4.5M for those three leaving 5 players to be signed and $15.5M.

I'd offer Fort a deal for a first year hit around $2.5M. Other potential re-signs are Foster, Alualu, Chick, Rogers. Somewhere in there can also be a FA signing with a low first year hit but a bigger hit moving forward that they'll be able to afford without the Brown contract.

All of this excludes potential bigger moves like cutting Gilbert ($4.915 savings, Feiler starts, Hawkins and Okorafor backup) and withdrawing the fifth year tender on Dupree and try to sign him at a lower deal - or not (currently on the books at $9.2M. I don't mind keeping on the roster, but would prefer him at a number that allows him to either be a starter or backup. Closer to $3-4M).

Not saying that the Steelers should trade Brown, but they can. If the situation around the team and his attitude is as bad as some of the reports say, then I think that you do have to. Especially if you keep Tomlin.

Is be super dissapointed if we used the one time we have cap space to write off our best player.

Ernie
01-01-2019, 07:12 PM
Is there an article that says this? I haven't been able to find one (as of 5:02pm on 1/1/19).
Yahoo sports and NBC Sports (profootballtalk) for starters.. I know you are going to twist this and say we arent officially under investigation yet. The fact that the question is being asked though is enough for me.

Steel Maniac
01-01-2019, 07:16 PM
Go root for the Pats, Maniac. You’d be much more “elated” and Belichick is more your speed. A guy who’s been lying in injury reports (and otherwise cheating) for years. And now you pretend to be indignant about Tomlin doing it once - - if he did. What a farce.

Robin, you go to another team. I’ve been a Steeler fan longer then you’ve been alive. Lmfao.

Moonie
01-01-2019, 07:17 PM
Yahoo sports and NBC Sports (profootballtalk) for starters.. I know you are going to twist this and say we arent officially under investigation yet. The fact that the question is being asked though is enough for me.

"you do realize the league is looking at our injury report from last week... right? "

Looks like you are the one who twisted things, in the space of 9 posts no less.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-01-2019, 07:17 PM
Is be super dissapointed if we used the one time we have cap space to write off our best player.

I agree, but the FO will have to determine exactly how toxic the situation is. Is AB, who is possibly the best WR in the league and in team history, ensuring that the Steelers are unable to win due to his attitude/distractions? If so then the greatest addition that the team can make is the subtraction of that poison. I'm only saying that if the situation is as bad as some are making it out to be, and if that's the case it must be done.

Steel Maniac
01-01-2019, 07:19 PM
Situation severity will have to be accessed. Your right about that. But who does it?

SteelBucks
01-01-2019, 07:20 PM

So is Brown.

squidkid
01-01-2019, 07:23 PM

yup, or else you run the risk of letting the team run wild and and totally melting down

SteelBucks
01-01-2019, 07:25 PM
The bickering between the anti-Tomlin and pro-Tomlin camps is getting old fast.

Carry on....

squidkid
01-01-2019, 07:27 PM
The bickering between the anti-Tomlin and pro-Tomlin camps is getting old fast.

Carry on....

what should we talk about, our upcoming playoff game?

SteelBucks
01-01-2019, 07:30 PM
what should we talk about, our upcoming playoff game?

It’s going to be a long eight months.

squidkid
01-01-2019, 07:51 PM
It’s going to be a long eight months.

i know, cant wait..........

NorthCoast
01-01-2019, 08:46 PM
#1 WRs are divas....

Steelers unsure why Burress is a no-show
May 18, 2004
Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Wide receiver Plaxico Burress was a no-show
again when the Pittsburgh Steelers resumed their offseason workouts
Tuesday.

Burress was fined earlier this month for missing a mandatory
minicamp.

"I thought he was going to be here, but obviously he's not,"
said Hines Ward, the Steelers' other starting receiver. "It's sad.
I don't think it had to come to this. ... I've got to prepare like
we're going into the season right now without Plax; we don't know
what is going to happen."

Coach Bill Cowher didn't discuss Burress' latest absence,
leaving the field about halfway through the hour-long workout
without speaking with reporters. However, Cowher was visibly
displeased when Burress was the only player to skip the team's
post-draft minicamp May 7-9, saying, "I'm very disappointed in his
decision, and we are ready to move on with or without him."

Cowher was even angrier because Burress never told the coach he
wouldn't attend.

Ernie
01-01-2019, 08:51 PM
"you do realize the league is looking at our injury report from last week... right? "

Looks like you are the one who twisted things, in the space of 9 posts no less.

You set me up on that one...and for that... I want to congratulate you.

BTW... Ian Rappaport is talking about it on the NFL Network. It's a shame that you have nothing else to add on this whole situation... other than to ask for a link on the investigation....
You know its coming just as well as I do. Classic Troll move.

Ernie
01-01-2019, 08:53 PM
#1 WRs are divas....

Steelers unsure why Burress is a no-show
May 18, 2004
Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Wide receiver Plaxico Burress was a no-show
again when the Pittsburgh Steelers resumed their offseason workouts
Tuesday.

Burress was fined earlier this month for missing a mandatory
minicamp.

"I thought he was going to be here, but obviously he's not,"
said Hines Ward, the Steelers' other starting receiver. "It's sad.
I don't think it had to come to this. ... I've got to prepare like
we're going into the season right now without Plax; we don't know
what is going to happen."

Coach Bill Cowher didn't discuss Burress' latest absence,
leaving the field about halfway through the hour-long workout
without speaking with reporters. However, Cowher was visibly
displeased when Burress was the only player to skip the team's
post-draft minicamp May 7-9, saying, "I'm very disappointed in his
decision, and we are ready to move on with or without him."

Cowher was even angrier because Burress never told the coach he
wouldn't attend.

I wonder how long Burress was in Pittsburg after this incident? lol.. and I also wonder if Tomlin is prepared to say "We are ready to move on with or without AB"... and actually stick to his guns?

NorthCoast
01-01-2019, 08:56 PM
#1 WRs are Divas

Holmes apologizes after missing game, drug charge
Oct 27, 2008
Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes apologized Monday for being involved in a marijuana-related case that caused coach Mike Tomlin to bench him for Sunday's loss to the New York Giants.
Holmes, a 2006 first-round draft pick, was charged with possession of a small amount of marijuana after a traffic stop Thursday in which city police smelled burning marijuana and found marijuana-filled cigars in his car.
Holmes' preliminary hearing before a Pittsburgh district judge is scheduled for Nov. 24.
"I would like to apologize to my teammates, the Steelers organization, my family and the fans for my actions that caused me to miss Sunday's game," Holmes said in a statement issued by the team. "I recognize that I made a mistake and understand the significance of my actions and will not make any excuse for my behavior. I look forward to putting this behind me and being accepted by my teammates and the fans as part of this team."
Holmes said he won't address the issue with reporters the rest of the season. The Steelers have not said if he will play Monday night at Washington or if he was fined.
"As this time, I plan to focus all of my efforts on helping our team win on the field and achieve its ultimate goal and will not address this situation publicly in the future," Holmes said in the statement.
Following the incident, Holmes was not allowed to practice Friday or take part in any pregame preparations.
Holmes' absence during the 21-14 loss to New York had a visible effect on the Steelers' passing game. Without Holmes, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger had one of the worst performances of his five-season career by going 13-of-29 for 189 yards, one touchdown and four interceptions with a passer rating of 38.5.
Roethlisberger's 44.8 completion percentage was the fourth lowest of his career, trailing only a 42.9 game against New England in 2005; a 43.8 effort against Detroit on Jan. 1, 2006; and the lowest passer rating in Super Bowl history, 22.6, against Seattle in February 2006.
"Obviously, you miss Santonio and what he brings," Roethlisberger said.
Holmes led all NFL receivers last season with 18.2 yards per catch on 52 receptions. He had 22 catches for 360 yards and a touchdown this season.
Tomlin wouldn't cite Holmes' absence for playing a role in the Steelers' loss.

Terrapin
01-01-2019, 09:01 PM
There are 2 diva WRs in the league currently: AB and OBJ. You don't hear a peep out of Julio Jones, Hopkins, Adams, Hilton, etc. Just AB and OBJ.

Even going back some years, there was TO, Chad Johnson, maybe Moss? Point is, 99% of WRs aren't divas. We've just been saddled with some of these losers

NorthCoast
01-01-2019, 09:03 PM
EIGHT YEARS LATER: THE SANTONIO HOLMES TRADE
written by Ian April 12, 2018

Eight years ago, the Steelers traded Super Bowl MVP Santonio Holmes to the New York Jets for a 5th round pick. The trade news broke late on Sunday night, and by Monday morning the story had been confirmed. The Steelers generally don’t trade high-profile players, and this move was one of the biggest of the Kevin Colbert era. With no other players involved, the trade was simply Holmes to the Jets for a 5th round pick (#155 overall). This trade was yet another upheval in an offseason of uncertainty. The 2009 season had seen the Steelers suffer through a 5-game losing streak then win their last 3 only to miss the playoffs in a 4-way tiebreaker with the Jets, Ravens, and Texans. The 2010 offseason got off to a rocky start with the Steelers firing Offensive Line coach Larry Zierlein and Special Teams coach Bob Ligashesky. That was followed by the news that Ben Roethlisberger was accused of sexual assault in a nightclub bathroom in Milledgeville, GA. The District Attorney was investigating the case and had not yet made an announcement by the end of business on Friday, April 9. By the time the weekend ended and the work day started on Monday, April 12, the Steelers had traded away a former first round draft pick and Super Bowl MVP for a 5th round pick.
But out of this tumultuous offseason came a Super Bowl run in 2010. Ben was initially suspended 6 games, which was then reduced to 4, and the Georgia District Attorney decided there was not enough evidence to pursue charges against him. As luck (or fate) would have it, the Steelers and Jets would meet in the 2010 AFC Championship Game. But the fallout from the Santonio Holmes trade would extend farther than the 2010 season. In fact, the Steelers used that trade to acquire the best receiver in the National Football League.
The Steelers traded Holmes on the evening of Sunday, April 11 and less than 24 hours later the NFL announced that Holmes had been suspended for the first four games of the 2010 season for violations of the substance abuse policy. It was later reported that the Steelers had been willing to release Holmes outright but made the deal to trade him to the Jets instead.
The 2009 season had also seen a sharp decline in the Steelers secondary. This was partially due to Troy Polamalu missing 11 games and Tyrone Carter being forced to start. With Ike Taylor and William Gay as the starting corners, the Steelers fell from the top-ranked passing defense down to 16th. The Steelers had a need to improve their secondary, but also had a number of holes to fill on the offensive side of the ball, which is where they focused early in the 2010 Draft. They used their first round pick on center Maurkice Pouncey out of Florida and their third round pick on wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders from SMU. The Steelers had 4 picks in the 5th round of the draft, the pick they had acquired for Holmes and two compensatory picks. After selecting Tennessee offensive lineman Chris Scott with the 151st overall pick, they received a trade offer for the 155th overall pick. The Steelers traded the 155th overall pick that they had received for Holmes to the Arizona Cardinals, who used it to select Fordham quarterback John Skelton. In return, the Steelers received veteran cornerback Bryant McFadden (a former Steelers 2nd round pick) and Arizona’s 6th round pick (#195 overall).
By the time the dust had settled, the result of the Santonio Holmes trade was:

New York Jets received: WR Santonio Holmes

Arizona Cardinals received: QB John Skelton

Pittsburgh Steelers received: CB Bryant McFadden, WR Antonio Brown

Holmes would have his best season for the Jets in his suspension-shortened 2010 year. He had 52 catches, 746 yards, and 6 TDs. After the season he signed a 5-year, $50 million deal with New York and only appear in 31 games over the next 3 seasons before being released. His final NFL season came in Chicago in 2014 where he had 8 catches over 9 games. In 2017 he officially retired as a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Steel Maniac
01-01-2019, 09:16 PM
https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/report-antonio-brown-has-requested-trade-from-steelers/

NorthCoast
01-01-2019, 09:22 PM
https://steelersdepot.com/2019/01/report-antonio-brown-has-requested-trade-from-steelers/

(UPDATE 2:26 PM)
NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport is countering the initial report, saying Brown was venting and hasn’t formally asked for a trade.

steelz09
01-01-2019, 09:39 PM
I don't doubt the Brown hissy fit but I'm still questioning the report that Brown requested a trade.

That is still borderline #FakeNews imo.

Steel Maniac
01-01-2019, 09:45 PM
It could be; but regardless I don’t things with Brown are lollipops and bubble gum either.

JAR
01-01-2019, 09:48 PM
Anyone remember when Blount sued Noll?

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/10/20/steelers-distractions-martavis-bryant-trade-rumors-ben-roethlisberger-retirement/stories/201710200067

kindlecatsb'ng
01-01-2019, 10:29 PM

I wondered the same thing. If someone posts a comment like this one or the one saying the Steelers could lose a draft pick, they owe it to everyone to list the source of their information and cite it. Otherwise, the information is speculation and leads to misinformation and churns the rumor mill.

SteelBucks
01-01-2019, 10:51 PM
Anyone remember when Blount sued Noll?

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/10/20/steelers-distractions-martavis-bryant-trade-rumors-ben-roethlisberger-retirement/stories/201710200067

I completely forgot about this story. That whole season was a circus.

NorthCoast
01-01-2019, 11:00 PM
There are 2 diva WRs in the league currently: AB and OBJ. You don't hear a peep out of Julio Jones, Hopkins, Adams, Hilton, etc. Just AB and OBJ.

Even going back some years, there was TO, Chad Johnson, maybe Moss? Point is, 99% of WRs aren't divas. We've just been saddled with some of these losersNone of the WRs you list had a #2 on the team that had a legitimate chance to overshadow them. Brown is absolutely frustrated. He is a victim of his own success. Each week he is targeted to be taken out of the game by opposing DCs, which means he's getting fewer looks. (btw, you could argue these DCs have only been moderately successful if you look at Brown's numbers on the season.) Looking to the future, it will only get worse if the team decides to return to a more balanced offense with the run game (which I think they need to do).
His problem is, instead of enjoying the ride and watching his teammate succeed, he is becoming increasingly petulant. Roethlisberger has tried to placate him by forcing the ball to him, to the detriment of the team. Losing games has only aggravated situation as I am sure Brown is thinking he could have been the difference if he had gotten more opportunities.
For those saying Tomlin needs to take action, it is not such a simple situation. Due to Brown's stature, both on the team and nationally, and the financial impact, and the impact to the offense, decisions must be made in concert with Colbert and Rooney.
Ideally, somehow they need to convince Brown that he wants to continue to play for the Steelers. Roethlisberger could be the x-factor in this discussion. Forcing a player into a situation he doesn't want to be in does no one good.

Steel Maniac
01-01-2019, 11:11 PM
Ben is talking about it now...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25662053/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-says-no-issue-antonio-brown

Steel Maniac
01-01-2019, 11:14 PM
Tomlin has a press meeting tomorrow. Brown was benched for a reason. Let’s see if we get the full truth about exactly what Brown did or didn’t do.,

squidkid
01-01-2019, 11:20 PM
Tomlin has a press meeting tomorrow. Brown was benched for a reason. Let’s see if we get the full truth about exactly what Brown did or didn’t do.,

lol........you are kidding right?

squidkid
01-01-2019, 11:20 PM
AB isnt the problem with this team. its the other 52 guys. we need to get rid of them.

Steel Maniac
01-01-2019, 11:23 PM
lol........you are kidding right?

Squid, we’ve got to let this play itself out because the TBW need that.

You and I know; but we’ve got to let THEM know and see.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-01-2019, 11:40 PM

Ernie, the PFT report is from Florio, who continuously has an axe to grind on the Steelers. The report questions whether or not they will be investigated, and nowhere states that the league is looking at it.

Steel Maniac
01-01-2019, 11:45 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/nfl-investigate-steelers-overt-lying-163147362.html

Steel Maniac
01-01-2019, 11:46 PM

NorthCoast
01-01-2019, 11:57 PM
Ernie, the PFT report is from Florio, who continuously has an axe to grind on the Steelers. The report questions whether or not they will be investigated, and nowhere states that the league is looking at it.Yep. Here is an example.
A few years back Florio writes an inflammatory article on Tomlin and his training camp:

Florio’s latest offense comes from an article he wrote on Monday morning titled, “Steelers going ‘old-old-school’ in training camp.” Once again, Florio twists Tomlin’s words and makes a very grand and irresponsible assumption accepting it as subtext in what Tomlin says. I reported yesterday that Tomlin spoke about how he is approaching training camp practices differently, and that means more and harder hitting when the players are in the CBA approved padded practices, and these are the words that Florio basis his opinions on.

We’re young in a lot of areas, particularly in the lines. We got young, talented defensive linemen, we got young, talented offensive linemen. The only way to improve is to play football. I’ve stated that many times and it’s something I believe in. I’m going to give them an opportunity to do that and show what they’re capable of.

Anyone with some common sense of the game of football would realize that the new practice guidelines from the most recent CBA change how a team prepares from week to week. They would also realize that the less hitting that happens during the week, the less of an edge the players have – something that I believe greatly influences who wins in the trenches.

Florio, however, twists Tomlin’s words and says the following:

The new labor deal reduced the intensity of training camp, cutting back on padded practices but saying nothing about what teams can do while wearing the pads. For the Steelers, whom many think will struggle in 2013, Tomlin is willing to risk injuring his players in order to get them to the point where they will be ready to play when the games count.

The Steelers aren't obligated to do anything before the new season starts so may as well wait to hear how the story unfolds over the coming months...

Ernie
01-02-2019, 06:11 AM
Ernie, the PFT report is from Florio, who continuously has an axe to grind on the Steelers. The report questions whether or not they will be investigated, and nowhere states that the league is looking at it.

Ian Rappaport was also talking about it on the NFL Network last evening.

If you would have read the post that you attached to your reply... you will notice I said the same thing you did.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-02-2019, 12:57 PM
Ian Rappaport was also talking about it on the NFL Network last evening.

If you would have read the post that you attached to your reply... you will notice I said the same thing you did.

True, but my point was that the person asking the question is notorious just throwing crap into the atmosphere. In the article he claims that nothing is ever done in these situations and then comes up with a two word quote which was probably not even said in response to this situation. It is an article in which a guy thinks out loud about what bad things should happen to a team he hates.

brothervad
01-02-2019, 02:07 PM
Per Ed Bouchette today a trade of Antonio Brown isn't impossible

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/01/02/antonio-brown-trade-rumors-steelers-salary-cap-nfl/stories/201901020122

brothervad

Buzz
01-02-2019, 02:23 PM

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2019/01/02/antonio-brown-trade-rumors-steelers-salary-cap-nfl/stories/201901020122

brothervad

Thanks for posting. Gives me some hope for this organization.

JAR
01-02-2019, 02:38 PM
So, AB can't call his teammates, his boss or the owner, but he can talk to JH?

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1080523852046839808

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-02-2019, 02:41 PM

brothervad

I posted most of this on page 2 of this thread. The only part that I didn't highlight was the importance of trading him in the 5 day window. It can be done without serious repercussions like having to cut players who you don't want to because you can't afford them. There are a lot of ways to get it done.

The biggest question the team must ask itself right now is can they get AB under control? Will he be happy seeing double coverage, allowing Ben to hit an open JuJu for a game winning TD? Or does he command the ball regardless of being the best available option? Is he happy with 3 catches, 38 yards in a win, or would he prefer 12 catches on 19 targets for 150 yards and a TD in a loss? Are they confident that if he says he buys in that they believe it will happen long-term, or is he volatile enough that he can turn back even if he commits? If not then cost is not an issue, he must go. If too much time and energy is spent dealing with such distractions then that takes focus away from preparing a team to win football games.

Even if you believe that he is all-in, do you then believe that Tomlin is the coach that can keep him happy under this new system, as well as keep everyone else on the same page? I'm not asking this as either a guy in the fire Tomlin camp or the keep Tomlin camp. This might be the biggest issue on the team right now and is a bigger factor than clock management or failed challenges. If this team is allowed to implode from within then 11 straight successful challenges and proper timeout management won't get this team back to the playoffs.

Question 1: Can you get AB back on the same page?
Question 2: Can Tomlin keep him there?

All other off-season decisions are secondary.

flippy
01-02-2019, 02:42 PM
So, AB can't call his teammates, his boss or the owner, but he can talk to JH?

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1080523852046839808

Hmmm. Wasn't it Harrison that orchestrated his own exit out of Pittsburgh and repeatedly told Bell to fake an injury....

brothervad
01-02-2019, 02:52 PM
Honestly the best way to get AB the ball IMO is to have a third WR threat which they did not have because Washington was not ready for primetime right out of college. This is not to say he is a bust.

You notice how they schemed with 5 WR sets in both the Pats/Saints game to help get AB the ball (putting him in the TE position in some of the setups). If you have a real 3rd WR threat or hell even a Gronk level of TE (I use Gronk loosely, it could be Kelsey, the guy in SF, Olsen of Carolina) you enable your #1 to get situations.

The problem here is that Pandora's box opened when you allowed Harrison to be a cancer, because you allowed him to get his way thus showing others (Bell, Brown) that if they pout they can get their way.

What the Steelers should've done is put him on a PUP list or something to that effect.

I use the Legion of Boom example because living in the Seattle area I see it first hand. People said Pete Carroll lost something last year when he lost the lockerroom and guys like Sherman or Michael Bennett).

He purged them and while it's not the Legion of Boom they are a playoff team that has a promising defense that has been retooled.

brothervad

Oviedo
01-02-2019, 03:08 PM
Hmmm. Wasn't it Harrison that orchestrated his own exit out of Pittsburgh and repeatedly told Bell to fake an injury....

Harrison is a bitter old man. Guy is scum as far as I'm concerned.

fordfixer
01-02-2019, 03:27 PM
Curious isn’t it. That’s what I thought as the AB story was unfolding