PDA

View Full Version : serious question for the tomlin fans

squidkid
12-31-2018, 12:10 PM
i dont think anyone, or very few, will step up and answer this, but ill ask anyway.

lets say tomlin is fired. what do you really think will happen to this team next year and the coming years (regular season and post season record wise)?
and if you think it will be much worse, why? what did/does tomlin do that the next guy wont?

what exactly are you afraid of?

Steel Maniac
12-31-2018, 12:12 PM
i dont think anyone, or very few, will step up and answer this, but ill ask anyway.

lets say tomlin is fired. what do you really think will happen to this team next year and the coming years (regular season and post season record wise)?
and if you think it will be much worse, why? what did/does tomlin do that the next guy wont?

Let's be a bit more fair and also ask, "What do you expect going forward if Tomlin stays?"

squidkid
12-31-2018, 01:45 PM
north coast?

Ernie
12-31-2018, 01:51 PM
I know this question isn't addressed at me... but the new feeds are flooded today with insinuations that the team lacks accountability and discipline. I think it will be very interesting to see who goes to bat for MT (or doesn't) in the next few days..

The only thing I've seen so far... is Pouncey being in disbelief at the outcome... due to this being "The most talented team he's ever been apart of"....
and the only thing I've heard Ben say thus far... is that he will be back next year if Pouncey comes back lol

Moonie
12-31-2018, 01:58 PM
Defining "Tomlin fan" would help.

I've seen people here say he shouldn't be fired (and that poll seems to indicate that most people don't want him fired), but I have never seen any fans like, e.g., JuJu fans (or even the creepy Bell fans).

Coaches don't usually have "fans." They always get blamed.

BURGH86STEEL
12-31-2018, 02:05 PM
I don't believe Tomlin was the main issue with this team. He received most the blame when the team loss. Ben threw 4 INT's blame Tomlin. All the losses were not his fault but his responsibility to carry. The GM and ownership of the team understands. We will know when we have a HC issue. I don't believe that time right now.

squidkid
12-31-2018, 02:09 PM
ok, how about this clarification.
anyone that wants tomlin to remain the coach can answer

Ernie
12-31-2018, 02:20 PM
I don't believe Tomlin was the main issue with this team. He received most the blame when the team loss. Ben threw 4 INT's blame Tomlin. All the losses were not his fault but his responsibility to carry. The GM and ownership of the team understands. We will know when we have a HC issue. I don't believe that time right now.

Anyone who thinks we have no issues with our HC clearly is caught up in the "Flow of the game"...lol

Mr.wizard
12-31-2018, 02:38 PM

Not afraid of anything, don't know what the next guy will do because we dont know who this next guy is. You cant have it both ways you argue that Tomlin has had a huge negative impact on the team but then you make it seem like bringing some mystery guy doesnt matter because he can easily duplicate everything Tomlin does. Does the coach have a big impact or not? Or is it as simple as just plugging another guy in? Also most people leave the firing/hiring decisions to the front office, a lot of us have faith that ownership will know when its time to replace Tomlin, they understand the situation better than you or me.

Ernie
12-31-2018, 02:41 PM
Not afraid of anything, don't know what the next guy will do because we dont know who this next guy is. You cant have it both ways you argue that Tomlin has had a huge negative impact on the team but then you make it seem like bringing some mystery guy doesnt matter because he can easily duplicate everything Tomlin does. Does the coach have a big impact or not? Or is it as simple as just plugging another guy in? Also most people leave the firing/hiring decisions to the front office, a lot of us have faith that ownership will know when its time to replace Tomlin, they understand the situation better than you or me.

The veteran players seem to have a very good understanding of the situation as well... perhaps even more so than the ownership...
and reports coming from "The locker room" that Im hearing is that the team lacks accountability and discipline.

BURGH86STEEL
12-31-2018, 02:43 PM
Anyone who thinks we have no issues with our HC clearly is caught up in the "Flow of the game"...lol
The main issue from my perspective were turnovers. Clean up the turnovers and the team probably would had won 2 or 3 more games.

I doubt the ownership and GM believes Tomlin is the main issue at this point.

Ernie
12-31-2018, 02:46 PM
and yet all I am hearing on the NFL Network is that there's a lacking of discipline and accountability with this team.

Ernie
12-31-2018, 02:47 PM
and how do you clean up the turnover differential? You start covering people on defense... contesting balls...and stop throwing it 55 times a game.

NorthCoast
12-31-2018, 02:49 PM
Anyone who thinks we have no issues with our HC clearly is caught up in the "Flow of the game"...lolNo one has said Tomlin doesn't have issues. Always room for improvement regardless of record or tenure. That doesn't mean he should be let go.

steelz09
12-31-2018, 02:50 PM
I'm caught up in the flow of these posts but I can tell you one thing...

I refuse to live in my fears.

Steelhere10
12-31-2018, 02:50 PM

what exactly are you afraid of? I will answer and BTW I'm leaning on firing Tomlin. But as long as Ben is here and is the leader nothing different will happen. When your leader come out and say AGAIN today that he will take chances on int BECAUSE he's a gunslinger. This is your leader saying this BTW.
So is Connor say it's ok to fumble because he's fighting for yards.
Bud says he's jumping off sides because he's trying to sack the qb
Davis says he's going to miss tackles because he's looking for the hard hit to cause fumbles...
As long as Ben is here with that same attitude, nothing will change I don't care who you bring in. The difference between SB or Early playoffs exit is being careless with the ball.

Ernie
12-31-2018, 02:55 PM
No one has said Tomlin doesn't have issues. Always room for improvement regardless of record or tenure. That doesn't mean he should be let go.

so one begs to ask... what are they doing to "Right the ship"? I keep hearing about the need for "Accountability" with the players (and coaching staff for that matter)...

More specifically... what is Tomlin doing specifically to correct his own deficiencies?

BURGH86STEEL
12-31-2018, 03:02 PM
so one begs to ask... what are they doing to "Right the ship"? I keep hearing about the need for "Accountability" with the players (and coaching staff for that matter)...

More specifically... what is Tomlin doing specifically to correct his own deficiencies?That can't be answered because fans don't know the inner workings of the team. At the end of the day all we have is the product on the field. Better to stick to what we know then speculation. ie turnovers, penalties, missed fgs.

I don't think the organization is ready to let Tomlin go because the team made the playoffs 4 years in a row. There were in contention in the final week of the season. The team didn't give up. This team didn't bottom out like the Jags.

squidkid
12-31-2018, 03:07 PM
I will answer and BTW I'm leaning on firing Tomlin. But as long as Ben is here and is the leader nothing different will happen. When your leader come out and say AGAIN today that he will take chances on int BECAUSE he's a gunslinger. This is your leader saying this BTW.
So is Connor say it's ok to fumble because he's fighting for yards.
Bud says he's jumping off sides because he's trying to sack the qb
Davis says he's going to miss tackles because he's looking for the hard hit to cause fumbles...
As long as Ben is here with that same attitude, nothing will change I don't care who you bring in. The difference between SB or Early playoffs exit is being careless with the ball.

so you are saying tomlin has no control over any of these guys so we should keep him as HC?
so staying the course will not change the attitude of the team or improve it, so we should keep tomlin?
i dont remember any of those players saying it was okay to do what they did.
so tomlin or the OC has no say in what plays get called?
tomlin cant tell ben that if he doesnt take better care of the ball he will get benched?

AND every potential HC candidate that would come in would have to let the players do whatever they want to, just like tomlin lets them?
WOW

squidkid
12-31-2018, 03:09 PM
No one has said Tomlin doesn't have issues. Always room for improvement regardless of record or tenure. That doesn't mean he should be let go.

so lets say they make the biggest mistake in the world and let tomlin go.
what would happen to this team ?

Steelhere10
12-31-2018, 03:16 PM
so you are saying tomlin has no control over any of these guys so we should keep him as HC?
so staying the course will not change the attitude of the team or improve it, so we should keep tomlin?
tomlin cant tell ben that if he doesnt take better care of the ball he will get benched?

AND every potential HC candidate that would come in would have to let the players do whatever they want to, just like tomlin lets them?
WOW

No only Ben made these comments! So I'm saying if he's your leader and making comments like this, then it should be ok for any player on the team to make these excuses.
And you tell me what organization will stand by a coach benching a starter that makes more than anyone on the team? If it come to QB vs Coach, the Qb wins every time. Just ask Mccarthy and Belichick.

NorthCoast
12-31-2018, 03:19 PM

WOW
Squid, you are talking nonsense. Now you want to bench Roethlisberger and replace him with who? Dobbs? Rudolph? You'd be the first guy on here screaming about Tomlin yanking a HOF QB and putting a backup in.

squidkid
12-31-2018, 03:21 PM
No only Ben made these comments! So I'm saying if he's your leader and making comments like this, then it should be ok for any player on the team to make these excuses.
And you tell me what organization will stand by a coach benching a starter that makes more than anyone on the team? If it come to QB vs Coach, the Qb wins every time. Just ask Mccarthy and Belichick.

its only okay if the coach lets them do it.
so again, if tomlin has no control over anything, why should he be kept?
why does ben get to draft the players, devise the game plans, make defensive calls, tell the players to do what they want on and off the field.etc etc etc?
i doubt ben has all the authority that you says he does.

squidkid
12-31-2018, 03:23 PM
Squid, you are talking nonsense. Now you want to bench Roethlisberger and replace him with who? Dobbs? Rudolph? You'd be the first guy on here screaming about Tomlin yanking a HOF QB and putting a backup in.

lol............give it up man, you lose.
please tell me where i said i wanted to bench ben and replace him with dobbs or rudolph

Steelhere10
12-31-2018, 03:23 PM
its only okay if the coach lets them do it.
so again, if tomlin has no control over anything, why should he be kept?
why does ben get to draft the players, devise the game plans, make defensive calls, tell the players to do what they want on and off the field.etc etc etc?
i doubt ben has all the authority that you says he does.

Ben is going to do it regardless who you bring in, it have nothing to do with Tomlin. Just ask Haley

NorthCoast
12-31-2018, 03:28 PM

what are you saying here?

Steel Maniac
12-31-2018, 03:30 PM
Wow...

Big divide on who’s responsible for what. In New England , we know where the buck stops; but here, we are all over the place.

squidkid
12-31-2018, 03:32 PM
Ben is going to do it regardless who you bring in, it have nothing to do with Tomlin. Just ask Haley

please. ben slings it because thats what ben does. thats what the OC and HC let him do and promotes it. ben has won a ton of games with that style. hes done it his whole career. you take the good and the bad with bens style of play.
quit acting like ben isnt coachable and does whatever he wants to. he took a beating with arians offensive play calling. haley was brought in and told to change the offense so he doesnt take as many hits. guess what, ben did it. bden changed his style because he was told to.

so, back to all the other power that ben has over the rest of the team. how do explain that?

squidkid
12-31-2018, 03:35 PM
[QUOTE=NorthCoast;748767]what are you saying here?[/QUOTE

...............well according to you that means i said i want to bench ben for dobbs or rudolph.........lol

Steelhere10
12-31-2018, 03:39 PM
No need to debate with you, if you think the OC and HC is promoting him being careless with the ball. BTW that same gunslinger lead the league in Picks and TO. Yea more than the 5-6 rookies that started.

NorthCoast
12-31-2018, 03:41 PM
so lets say they make the biggest mistake in the world and let tomlin go.
what would happen to this team ?That is exactly the point of my post "To the 'Fire Tomlin Now' Crowd', which you conveniently haven't answered.

squidkid
12-31-2018, 03:46 PM
That is exactly the point of my post "To the 'Fire Tomlin Now' Crowd', which you conveniently haven't answered.

lol..............says the guy who wont answer mine so hhe makes up his own post......................which i was man enough to rep[y

Ernie
12-31-2018, 04:11 PM
No need to debate with you, if you think the OC and HC is promoting him being careless with the ball. BTW that same gunslinger lead the league in Picks and TO. Yea more than the 5-6 rookies that started.

That's what happens when you allow a gun slinger like Ben (who holds on to the ball way too long BTW) to chuck it into the wind 50 times a game (or fumble trying). For all the guys who say that coaching has absolutely nothing to do with turnovers.... that's really where it begins and ends... We needed more balance at several key points in the season... and we just didn't get it. Hopefully the new OC will figure that out next year... and we develop a philosophy on defense that allows us to create turnovers.

squidkid
12-31-2018, 04:20 PM
That's what happens when you allow a gun slinger like Ben (who holds on to the ball way too long BTW) to chuck it into the wind 50 times a game (or fumble trying). For all the guys who say that coaching has absolutely nothing to do with turnovers.... that's really where it begins and ends... We needed more balance at several key points in the season... and we just didn't get it. Hopefully the new OC will figure that out next year... and we develop a philosophy on defense that allows us to create turnovers.

yup, worse run defense in league and we run 9 imes and throw it 50
bad pass defense and we run it............how is that putting ourselves in the best position to win?

Oviedo
12-31-2018, 04:22 PM

Yes to this

pittpete
12-31-2018, 04:57 PM

I agree you cant blame Tomlin but

When you throw the ball more than 40 times a game and do it consistently how do you limit the interceptions?
Im sure the HC approves the gameplans each week and has a say.
IMO, Tomlin is very cocky and it rubs off on his players.

Ernie
12-31-2018, 05:36 PM
I agree you cant blame Tomlin but

When you throw the ball more than 40 times a game and do it consistently how do you limit the interceptions?
Im sure the HC approves the gameplans each week and has a say.
IMO, Tomlin is very cocky and it rubs off on his players.

I'd be fine with the cockiness if we could back it up.

Steelerphile
12-31-2018, 08:29 PM
I'd be fine with the cockiness if we could back it up.

I don't see any cockiness this year. Last year, he said the team should be in the Super Bowl but he didn't say that this year.
I am a Tomlin fan because the teams wins most of the time. I don't think fans, many at least, appreciate how difficult it is to win in the NFL.
I think the offense passed too much, but the 2018 team scored 428 points and the 2017 scored 406 points with Leveon Bell. If people think it
all boiled down to him not being present.

The kicker missed 7 fgs and 5 pts after touchdown. The Steelers tied the Browns, lost to Denver by 7, and Lost to San Diego, the Raiders
and the Saints by 3. Last year they went 13-3 when Boswell made all those clutch FGs. This year he missed the clutch FGs and they missed the
playoffs by one game. If he had been consistent as he was last year, they probably make the playoffs. The NFL is very competitive league and the Steelers
often play close games but one thing I think you can say about Tomlin teams is they are very consistently competitive.

I doubt very seriously they could bring someone in who would be any kind of an upgrade. There are some issues and there always will be.
That is what makes life interesting. But they need to add a playmaker on defense and with a higher pick this year, it is possible.
The team, and Tomlin is good a nurturing talent, Bring in FAS or lower picks and letting them develop and finally they become attributes.
Players like L.j Fort and Matt Feiler are good examples.

Maybe players like Matthew Thomas and Marcus Allen will come through next year.

Ernie
12-31-2018, 10:02 PM
Steelerphile...
That's a very insightful post. The only thing I would question is why you think someone couldn't come in and do as good or better job than Tomlin. Pittsburg is still the most storied franchise in the NFL.. and they would have their absolute pick in terms of the 'Best of the best'... Have you seen what Frank Reich is doing with the Colts this year? It is certainly possible for a new coach to come in here next year and be immediate contenders (with all of the talent on this roster).
This team needs a shot in the arm... and the whole AB fiasco is just the latest example of how Tomlin does not have command of this team. Don't take my word for that last statement... the veterans on the team are saying it themselves.

Shawn
12-31-2018, 10:07 PM
I know this question isn't addressed at me... but the new feeds are flooded today with insinuations that the team lacks accountability and discipline. I think it will be very interesting to see who goes to bat for MT (or doesn't) in the next few days..

The only thing I've seen so far... is Pouncey being in disbelief at the outcome... due to this being "The most talented team he's ever been apart of"....
and the only thing I've heard Ben say thus far... is that he will be back next year if Pouncey comes back lol I definitely think this team has underachieved and I also believe sometimes a franchise just needs some new blood. Honestly, even the best professionals can be prone to get lax once they think they have made it. I'm supportive of shaking it up if we can replace Tomlin with a true talent.

Shawn
12-31-2018, 10:09 PM
I don't see any cockiness this year. Last year, he said the team should be in the Super Bowl but he didn't say that this year.
I am a Tomlin fan because the teams wins most of the time. I don't think fans, many at least, appreciate how difficult it is to win in the NFL.
I think the offense passed too much, but the 2018 team scored 428 points and the 2017 scored 406 points with Leveon Bell. If people think it
all boiled down to him not being present.

The kicker missed 7 fgs and 5 pts after touchdown. The Steelers tied the Browns, lost to Denver by 7, and Lost to San Diego, the Raiders
and the Saints by 3. Last year they went 13-3 when Boswell made all those clutch FGs. This year he missed the clutch FGs and they missed the
playoffs by one game. If he had been consistent as he was last year, they probably make the playoffs. The NFL is very competitive league and the Steelers
often play close games but one thing I think you can say about Tomlin teams is they are very consistently competitive.

I doubt very seriously they could bring someone in who would be any kind of an upgrade. There are some issues and there always will be.
That is what makes life interesting. But they need to add a playmaker on defense and with a higher pick this year, it is possible.
The team, and Tomlin is good a nurturing talent, Bring in FAS or lower picks and letting them develop and finally they become attributes.
Players like L.j Fort and Matt Feiler are good examples.

Maybe players like Matthew Thomas and Marcus Allen will come through next year.

I'm fairly sure half of this board could coach this kind of talent to a winning record. With that said, I agree that I'm not sure we can replace Tomlin with a better suitor.

NorthCoast
12-31-2018, 10:16 PM
Steelerphile...
That's a very insightful post. The only thing I would question is why you think someone couldn't come in and do as good or better job than Tomlin. Pittsburg is still the most storied franchise in the NFL.. and they would have their absolute pick in terms of the 'Best of the best'... Have you seen what Frank Reich is doing with the Colts this year? It is certainly possible for a new coach to come in here next year and be immediate contenders (with all of the talent on this roster).
This team needs a shot in the arm... and the whole AB fiasco is just the latest example of how Tomlin does not have command of this team. Don't take my word for that last statement... the veterans on the team are saying it themselves.

If the new guy does 'as good a job' as Tomlin then why make a change?
The only game the Steelers looked uncompetitive in was KC. But KC made a lot of teams look uncompetitive.

Ernie
12-31-2018, 10:17 PM
Im thinking half of the board would not have gotten caught in the "Flow of the game" out in Oakland...

and if that's the case, I'm sure there's a much higher percentage of perspective NFL Coaches that I could say the same about... lol

Ernie
12-31-2018, 10:18 PM
If the new guy does 'as good a job' as Tomlin then why make a change?
The only game the Steelers looked uncompetitive in was KC. But KC made a lot of teams look uncompetitive.

If your goal is to merely be "Competitive"...than I can clearly see why you'd want to keep Tomlin as your HC.

Edit: my biggest reason for making the change is... Tomlin and his staff are going to get outcoached when we get to the playoffs. Because of this...there's really no chance of us reaching the super bowl with him as the HC. He has regressed noticeably since he became the HC.

hawaiiansteel
12-31-2018, 10:22 PM
https://i.ibb.co/JzhtCnn/playoffssteelers.gif

Eddie Spaghetti
12-31-2018, 10:27 PM
that is outstanding

fordfixer
12-31-2018, 10:35 PM
That’s some funny stuff right there, I don’t care who you are.:D

Starlifter
12-31-2018, 10:41 PM
What’s interesting to me is the parallel the Steelers have with the pens. They were a team that needed a shakeup so dan bylsma comes in and promptly wins the Stanley cup. That buys him a few years where his teams failed to go deep in the playoffs despite being hugely talented.

So they canned him mid season and immediately go back to back cups.

So yes, sometimes a change at the top is EXACTLY what’s needed.

Steelerphile
12-31-2018, 11:20 PM
Steelerphile...

It's possible but Tomlin has been a very consistent winner as a head coach. It's not as easy to find that as I think fans assume it to be. Look at how Jacksonville and Philadelphia were winners last year. It's possible to find lightning in the bottle, but this year they have both sunk back. To do it as consistently as Tomlin has, takes something more in terms of leadership and the ability to put together a winning team. I will disagree that the Steelers talent trumps the talent in the rest of the NFL. Every NFL team is loaded, not just the Steelers.

So I am very supportive of Tomlin, I think he has a lot of experience in what it takes to win, that a rookie coach would not have. I don't think he is appreciated enough personally.
What the issue is with AB, I am not sure. Whether he is just someone very talented and very headstrong also, but would he be more productive under another coach? I doubt it.

Buzz
01-01-2019, 12:40 AM

This is great, and hilarious -- could I put it in my signature?

papillon
01-01-2019, 12:43 AM

There's no way to know what will happen if Tomlin was to be fired and a new HC brought in. There is a very good chance that the new HC would have a successful season, the roster is a playoff roster. It could be positive and the Steelers go to the SB or they could miss the playoffs again. However, what I would expect of the new coach would be to get the playoff talented roster into the playoffs, same as I expect Tomlin to get the team into the playoffs. This season was a failure of great magnitude for the Steeler organization.

That being said, one poor season isn't reason to fire the HC. We can debate the past decade and whether or not the organization has been successful or not but overall the Steelers have been competitive every year under Mike Tomlin, even the 8-8 seasons. The 2018 season was easily the most disappointing season and a failure, to go from 7-2-1 and a 97% chance of making the playoffs to not making the playoffs has to be one of the greatest collapses of all time.

It deserves some changes to be made to be sure but I'm not convinced that the HC should be one of them.

Pappy

Ernie
01-01-2019, 08:13 AM
There's no way to know what will happen if Tomlin was to be fired and a new HC brought in. There is a very good chance that the new HC would have a successful season, the roster is a playoff roster. It could be positive and the Steelers go to the SB or they could miss the playoffs again. However, what I would expect of the new coach would be to get the playoff talented roster into the playoffs, same as I expect Tomlin to get the team into the playoffs. This season was a failure of great magnitude for the Steeler organization.

That being said, one poor season isn't reason to fire the HC. We can debate the past decade and whether or not the organization has been successful or not but overall the Steelers have been competitive every year under Mike Tomlin, even the 8-8 seasons. The 2018 season was easily the most disappointing season and a failure, to go from 7-2-1 and a 97% chance of making the playoffs to not making the playoffs has to be one of the greatest collapses of all time.

It deserves some changes to be made to be sure but I'm not convinced that the HC should be one of them.

Pappy

Honestly... the biggest concern I have right now... is that it appears he has lost control of his locker room. I don't care how successful he's been. When that happens, its time for a change.

papillon
01-01-2019, 08:42 AM
Honestly... the biggest concern I have right now... is that it appears he has lost control of his locker room. I don't care how successful he's been. When that happens, its time for a change.

I can't argue the other side of that statement in any fashion but I can say that until all the facts are known I'm not going to jump to any conclusions. This season was clearly a frustrating season for the players and some of that frustration may have finally boiled over the final weekend of the season when the players realized that they had in all likelihood thrown away an opportunity to compete for the Super Bowl.

The off season is going to be fascinating.

Pappy

Northern_Blitz
01-01-2019, 08:44 AM

I've said this before, but I think that executing is more important than coaching. So, I think the impact of losing Tomlin will be less significant than the impact of losing Ben.

I think the most important roles a head coach plays is managing egos and motivating players.

I don't think it's easy to bring in co-ordinators and o-line coaches who are former HCs and have them mesh into your team (see hard knocks last year). Tomlin seems to do this well.

I also don't think that it's easy dealing with guys like Bell and Brown that seem to be super tempermental and Tomlin seems to have done fairly well at this as well.

I also think that Tomlin is very good at having the players focused despite the bumps along the way in the season. I think that our teams generally play to the end of the game and bounce back from losses well. I think we also tend to do well in close games...although that wasn't the case this year.

So I don't think that coaching is as critical as talent and execution. And I think that Tomlin does the things you want a head coach to do well.

The reason I think that the team's performance will go down if we got rid of Tomlin (despite his flaws) is simple. Other coaches with comparable QBs to Ben have done worse than Tomlin has. The exceptions are BB and a coach with a QB on a rookie deal. So in the last few critical seasons of Ben's career, I think it makes way more sense to take the bird in the hand than the one in the bush (unless BB leaves NE and we can pick him up).

Ernie
01-01-2019, 08:54 AM
You make some good points Blitz. Although I like the potential that a new HC brings to the table (to take this team to the next level)... I am not sure it makes the most sense to get rid of Tomlin now (even though I have little confidence in him and am ready for change).
When we get to that rebuilding stage, however (life after Ben)... you'd better believe I will be screaming loud and hard for a new HC. lol

Northern_Blitz
01-01-2019, 11:30 AM
You make some good points Blitz. Although I like the potential that a new HC brings to the table (to take this team to the next level)... I am not sure it makes the most sense to get rid of Tomlin now (even though I have little confidence in him and am ready for change).
When we get to that rebuilding stage, however (life after Ben)... you'd better believe I will be screaming loud and hard for a new HC. lol

Thanks Ernie

For the few years Ben has left, I'd rather take the devil we know.

Especially when that "devil" has done better than the vast majoruty of his peers.

After Ben, I assume we'll be bad for a bit... But who knows.

They seem to be trying to change the game so QB is easier. Hopefully we won't have to wait as long as after TB left

Ernie
01-01-2019, 12:50 PM
Thanks Ernie

Especially when that "devil" has done better than the vast majoruty of his peers.

They seem to be trying to change the game so QB is easier. Hopefully we won't have to wait as long as after TB left

You are right about that! I don't know if I have that many more years left in me lol..

Steel Maniac
01-01-2019, 06:40 PM
Thanks Ernie

Here’s the thing: you talk like we have a shot if we keep Tomlin. We don’t. There is nothing that Tomlin has done ( without Cowhers coaches or players) that suggest he can get to a super bowl.

That’s why we need to move on. We are never getting to another super bowl victory , with Tomlin as head coach. So if that be the case, then why not move on? Tomlin has no discipline and the players don’t respect him; that’s pretty obvious to all by now. A guy like that isn’t all of a sudden going to start doing things he hasn’t done before.

Northern_Blitz
01-01-2019, 07:15 PM
Here’s the thing: you talk like we have a shot if we keep Tomlin. We don’t. There is nothing that Tomlin has done ( without Cowhers coaches or players) that suggest he can get to a super bowl.

That’s why we need to move on. We are never getting to another super bowl victory , with Tomlin as head coach. So if that be the case, then why not move on? Tomlin has no discipline and the players don’t respect him; that’s pretty obvious to all by now. A guy like that isn’t all of a sudden going to start doing things he hasn’t done before.

I don't agree with your premise, so I don't agree with your conclusion.

Steel Maniac
01-01-2019, 07:23 PM

Fair enough ; I think that during the off-season , we will get an even clearer picture of Tomlin and his capabilities/ capacities. I think then we will be closer to the same conclusions.

squidkid
01-01-2019, 07:25 PM

if you dont agree with that, i think you have to look to see which way the arrow is/has been pointing............either way, tomlin needs to go

steelz09
01-01-2019, 08:06 PM
Another question for the Tomlin fans.....

If the Steelers lose a 1st or 2nd round pick because Tomlin lied about the AB injury and got caught red-handed, would that be the last straw for some of you? Would you want him replaced then?

Let me guess....
No, because it wasn't his fault. The Boogeyman or <enter name here> made him do it.

Northern_Blitz
01-01-2019, 09:13 PM
Another question for the Tomlin fans.....

If the Steelers lose a 1st or 2nd round pick because Tomlin lied about the AB injury and got caught red-handed, would that be the last straw for some of you? Would you want him replaced then?

Let me guess....
No, because it wasn't his fault. The Boogeyman or <enter name here> made him do it.

I think that would be cause to seriously consider firing him. But I'd wait for it to happen before getting out my pitchfork. I also think it would be throwing away at least one of Ben's last years (unless we just hired from inside, which is a crappy way to go IMO).

I don't think it will happen though. Sounds like it's drug related, and I'm not sure if the team can say they are sitting a guy for drug related charges due to the CBA. Maybe they'd just have to say coaches decision in those cases?

Northern_Blitz
01-01-2019, 09:16 PM
if you dont agree with that, i think you have to look to see which way the arrow is/has been pointing............either way, tomlin needs to go

Is one down year driven by crazy turnovers. I think that's more luck than something repeatable. I think he gets at least one more kick at the can... And probably till Ben retires

Steel Maniac
01-01-2019, 09:18 PM
Is one down year driven by crazy turnovers. I think that's more luck than something repeatable. I think he gets at least one more kick at the can... And probably till Ben retires

Appreciate you view point north..

squidkid
01-01-2019, 11:07 PM

what about last years post season?
and lets not try to blame this year on turnovers..

Steel Maniac
01-01-2019, 11:26 PM
what about last years post season?
and lets not try to blame this year on turnovers..

Squid, the TBW don’t want to link last year’s meltdown with this year’s meltdown. Because that would point to their hero’s. They will keep them as separate as possible.