PDA

View Full Version : Terrell Edmunds

NorthCoast
12-29-2018, 10:23 PM
Not trying to imply he is the second coming of Polamalu but Edmunds has put together a very promising rookie season:

Tackles

Fumbles
Def Interceptions

Rk
Player
From
To
CarAV
G
Solo
Ast
Sk
FF
FR
Yds
TD
Int
Yds
TD

Terrell Edmunds (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EdmuTe00.htm)

Troy Polamalu (https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PolaTr99.htm)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&player_id1_hint=Ter rell+Edmunds&player_id1_select=Terrell+Edmunds&fro myear_1=2018&toyear_1=2018&player_id1=EdmuTe00&idx =players&player_id2_hint=Troy+Polamalu&player_id2_ select=Troy+Polamalu&fromyear_2=2003&toyear_2=2003 &player_id2=PolaTr99&idx=players

SteelBucks
12-30-2018, 03:12 AM
Yeah, the board doesn’t seem to complain about him much. Must be a good sign. ;)

steeler_george
12-30-2018, 07:21 AM
Yeah, the board doesn’t seem to complain about him much. Must be a good sign. ;)

hmm... Can't really complain about his play, I think with Burnet hurt most of the season we didn't really employ him as the hydro- LB/Safety role. Now I wish we would of traded up for EVS ( Dallas LB) or traded back for Leonard (IND LB). Maybe we did take him too high.

I think everyone including myself have ben "troy dreaming", hoping that the first year doesn't really count.

Most of the attention in the backfield is on Burns and Davis (moved to FS, but he is sort of becoming a disappointment) and how we use our ILB to cover!

Oviedo
12-30-2018, 08:16 AM
Edmunds was a good pick and IMO will be a star for us. He has been above the curve for a rookie

flippy
12-30-2018, 12:00 PM
Time will tell all. He’s got the athleticism and all the potential in the world. But I think we reached for him where we took him and he’s still not a lock.

He reminds me of how I felt about Burns at the end of his first season. Although Edmunds has his brother’s DNA and I think his brother is a future star for sure.

Hoping for the best.

NorthCoast
12-30-2018, 01:36 PM
Time will tell all. He’s got the athleticism and all the potential in the world. But I think we reached for him where we took him and he’s still not a lock.

He reminds me of how I felt about Burns at the end of his first season. Although Edmunds has his brother’s DNA and I think his brother is a future star for sure.

Hoping for the best.That's a valid point flippy. Burns had a decent looking rookie season.... then it's been all downhill since. I'm just trying to inject some positivity into this gloom and doom board.:tt2

Eddie Spaghetti
12-30-2018, 01:47 PM
I think edmunds will be extremely average

now if he had put up the #s of jessie Bates who was drafted after him, I would be ecstatic

Steel Maniac
12-30-2018, 02:17 PM
Well, how can you feel that good about him considering the track record of development from these coaches? Time will tell.

pittpete
12-30-2018, 02:40 PM
Edmonds has looked really slow at times.
Hopefully once he gains more experience he can stop thinking so much.

Steel Maniac
12-30-2018, 02:46 PM
When Tomlin puts the sword in Butler’s back , Edmonds is going to get a whole new scheme to learn so I think you’ll have to give him a longer lease of evaluation. Learning two new systems in two years is tough.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-30-2018, 02:53 PM
Funny, just as I clicked on this thread I watch his bro pick off Tannehill in the BUF/MIA game.

First off, I'm sure that lots of safeties look fine when you compare their rookie numbers to the disappointing rookie season of Troy. That doesn't mean that you can extrapolate those numbers to determine that a player will succeed because they had a better rookie year.

Edmunds has been thrown to the wolves year 1 in a way that was not expected. Good for him for fitting in and not looking like he didn't belong. He definitely has both the ability and potential to become a player who other teams must gameplan around.

If the team can add a couple of linebackers in the draft/FA then a player with Edmunds' versatility will be in position to make a lot of plays on the backside. With the amount that the team has in cap space, I expect them to add either a corner or linebacker in FA. I also believe that they will pull the tag on Dupree and use that $9M+ to find another impact defender.

Steel Maniac
12-30-2018, 02:57 PM
TJ does need some help. Be great to come out of this off-season with a couple of new, legit linebackers. We can only hope.
Is Porter going to coach them?

SidSmythe
12-30-2018, 04:28 PM
Artie Burns was very good his rookie season too.
However Edmunds most likely isn't a head case (on the field) like Burns is.

flippy
12-30-2018, 04:37 PM

I agree, but I also want to agree with NorthCoast and be optimistic.

We’ve seen some flashes of extreme athleticism so I think it makes sense to be hopeful. But our track record of picking DBs is suspect so maybe we should be cautiously optimistic.

Im going to lean toward thinking he’ll be good for now because I’ve seen that burst out of him that I’ve only seen in Troy, Timmons, and Shazier. You can see he’s an athletic freak that’s only held back by thinking. And I do think he’s a smart kid and has the intangibles. I just know I’d feel better if he was a 2nd round pick vs a 1st.

pittpete
12-30-2018, 06:57 PM
TJ Watt looks like he's the only guy playing on defense.

Northern_Blitz
12-30-2018, 09:41 PM
TJ does need some help. Be great to come out of this off-season with a couple of new, legit linebackers. We can only hope.
Is Porter going to coach them?

He only coaches OLBs I think. We're OK there IMO (although if prefer to be paying Dupree less).

We could use an impact player at ILB or in the secondary. At least we'll pick earlier than usual

Starlifter
12-30-2018, 10:00 PM
had a solid rookie year. let's hope he doesn't slump next year.

RuthlessBurgher
06-26-2019, 10:53 AM
'Tight as a fist': Steelers' Edmunds brothers tackle NFL life as roommates

Jun 25, 2019

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- Competition isn't an option for NFL siblings living together.

It's a way of life.

The Pittsburgh Steelers brotherly duo, safety Terrell Edmunds and running back Trey Edmunds, like to cook on occasion. Terrell's go-to dish is crab legs, corn and red potatoes. Trey is known to prepare baked chicken and greens.

Dad sensed the two trying to outshine each other in the kitchen during a few nightly calls.

"I'll hear something like, 'Dad, I made something just like you would,'" said Ferrell Edmunds, himself an NFL tight end from 1988 to 1994. "Then you might hear them go back and forth a bit. That's what makes the boys so competitive."

Trey shrugs at the Edmunds way. "We've all got that edge," he said. "That's just how we were brought up."

Improvement on and off the field is the goal for the Edmunds brothers, who share a Steelers locker room and an apartment while thinking about younger brother Tremaine Edmunds, a linebacker for the Buffalo Bills.

In 2018, Tremaine, 21, and Terrell, 22 became the first pair of brothers selected in the first round of the same NFL draft. Trey, 24, blazed the NFL path for them as a running back for the New Orleans Saints in 2017. The Steelers signed Trey to the practice squad in September, and he ended up suiting up for four games.

Asked what went into the decision to room with Trey, Terrell pointed to a tattoo of a fist along his rib cage. All three brothers have a variation of the same brotherhood-themed tattoo, which they secured together at a parlor in Blacksburg, Virginia, while playing at Virginia Tech.

"We’ve always been like a fist -- we’ve stayed together, tight as a fist," Terrell said. "Over the years, it’s gotten stronger. We were going to stay together regardless."

Those fingers don't loosen very often, and that goes for the entire family. Out of 32 combined Steelers and Bills games last season, parents Ferrell and Cookie estimate they attended 29 of them jointly or separately.

Cookie was relieved when Trey and Terrell could live together and share experiences. They often carpool to the Steelers' facility, where they frequently stay late and grab dinner from the cafeteria.

"They can identify the way one may be feeling," Cookie said. "If they need space on their own, they respect that."

Terrell savors the familiarity. The siblings frequent various Pittsburgh steakhouses together, often with other teammates. They'll hit the town for nightlife on occasion, but they typically keep things low-key.

The brothers value Trey's journey as a former four-star recruit slowed by injuries at Virginia Tech. He transferred to Maryland, his father's alma mater, for his final season and went undrafted. Despite a difficult football journey, Trey has impressed in the Steelers' offseason workouts and could crack the rotation.

The family believes Trey's story is a healthy reminder to the other boys to maximize every rep and that "nothing is guaranteed," as Cookie put it.

"It’s always good to have somebody in my corner at all times," Terrell said of his brother. "We try not to get comfortable or let anything get to our heads. At any day it can be over. You can’t go out there and be bigheaded, like, 'Oh, this happened, I’m good.' Because things can happen at any day and real life starts up."

Meanwhile, Trey appreciates his brother's consistency. On the field, Terrell played 967 snaps as a rookie, second most on the defense, behind safety Sean Davis.

What Trey sees from his brother every day is "everything I've been seeing for all these years. He's the same guy, same personality."

That means high-wattage smiles and constant positive vibes. And Trey, Ferrell says, has the ability to lift up any spirit with one conversation.

Most nights turn a little serious, thanks to dad. Ferrell said he usually speaks with his boys every night via phone around 6:30 to 7 to discuss one goal: Get a little bit better every day. The boys listen intently to the man who taught them every football nuance.

"I tell them every day is a new challenge, so you need to get through the ups and downs," Ferrell said. "Being independent, every day is a grind to get better, and the only way to get better is to identify a weakness and improve it. You don’t want to wing it. You want to be prepared.

"Football is a difficult journey, and it’s one you have to enjoy. Enjoy the connections you make, the people you meet. But you have to handle your business on the field and in the film room."

Messages from dad are nice, but the brothers already challenge each other as young professionals aiming for greatness.

More milestones might mean more tattoo tributes.

"At the end of the day, it’s just us," Terrell said. "You have people who might say some negative things, but that’s going to be my brother every day, 'til the end."

https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/30916/tight-as-a-fist-edmunds-brothers-tackle-nfl-life-as-roommates

SteelerOfDeVille
06-26-2019, 10:58 AM
Not trying to imply he is the second coming of Polamalu but Edmunds has put together a very promising rookie season:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&player_id1_hint=Ter rell+Edmunds&player_id1_select=Terrell+Edmunds&fro myear_1=2018&toyear_1=2018&player_id1=EdmuTe00&idx =players&player_id2_hint=Troy+Polamalu&player_id2_ select=Troy+Polamalu&fromyear_2=2003&toyear_2=2003 &player_id2=PolaTr99&idx=players
Troy played for a staff that didn't believe in playing rookies. He was trapped behind vets while he learned

What you did was like comparing Aaron Rodgers rookie season to Dante Culpepper's or something.

Time will tell, but, that's not even a legit comparison.

Disco1981
06-26-2019, 11:10 AM

Very good is a stretch...I would say more like serviceable for Artie Burnt

Ernie
06-26-2019, 11:38 AM
Very good is a stretch...I would say more like serviceable for Artie Burnt

I have said this several times on here... but Artie Burns reminds me of Cortez Allen. Both showed enough "Promise" very early on to where expectations for both were very high.

Like Burns, Allen regressed (largely due to mental blocks, etc.) Main difference is Burns was a 1st rd pick...and Allen a 4th.

phillyesq
06-26-2019, 12:46 PM
I have said this several times on here... but Artie Burns reminds me of Cortez Allen. Both showed enough "Promise" very early on to where expectations for both were very high.

Like Burns, Allen regressed (largely due to mental blocks, etc.) Main difference is Burns was a 1st rd pick...and Allen a 4th.

That is a great comparison.

The numbers in the comparison between Troy's rookie season and Edmunds means nothing to me. I think Edmunds did look better as the season went on. I forget the game, but there was one game in particular where he looked really good. He has the raw athleticism that he could be a dynamic, game changing type of player, but I've seen nothing from him to indicate that he will play at that level. I think he'll end up being solid but unspectacular.

hawaiiansteel
06-26-2019, 04:29 PM
Donnie Shell Expects ‘A Lot Of Big Plays’ From Terrell Edmunds This Year

By Matthew Marczi
Posted on June 26, 2019

The Pittsburgh Steelers had some truly great safeties in the 1970s, even if none of them have made it, as of yet, to the Hall of Fame. While Donnie Shell retired as one of the career leaders in interceptions, Mike Wagner and Glen Edwards were no slouches either.

There were Carnell Lake and Darren Perry in the 1990s, and then in the 2000s, you had the great period of Troy Polamalu, who overlapped first with Chris Hope and then finally paired with Ryan Clark to make one of the very best safety tandems in team history, if not the best.

The Steelers would settle for anything close to that with their current pairing of fourth-year Sean Davis, a former second-round pick, and their 2018 first-round selection, Terrell Edmunds. Edmunds recently participated in a team activity hosting a football camp in Mexico City, and got the opportunity to meet with Shell for the first time along the way.

“We rode down on the plane from Charlotte together. I talked old-school. He talked new-school”, Shell said in a video posted on the team’s website. He added, “I expect him to make a lot of big plays for the Steeler Nation this year”.

During his rookie season, Edmunds started 15 of 16 games but played rotationally in the one game he did not start. He recorded one interception, coming against the Baltimore Ravens back in Week Four of the regular season. He also had an interception in the preseason.

“It’s always nice to talk to a legend, pick his brain really. The plane ride over here, that was my first time meeting him, so I was star-struck for a second, you could say”, Edmunds said of the experience of meeting Shell for the first time.

Shell recorded 51 interceptions during his 14-year career for the Steelers, which spanned from 1974—when he was signed as a college free agent amid a historic draft class that produced four Hall of Famers—even though he would not become a full-time starter for a few years, playing behind Wagner and Edwards, the latter of whom would be traded in part because Shell showed he could take over.

Shell recorded 34 interceptions over a six-year period between 1979 and 1984, with at least one interception every year of his career. In fact, he had at least three interceptions in every season he was a full-time starter until his final year in 1987 at the age of 35.

“Just to mimic anything that he did on the field would be tremendous for me, so that’s just why I’m trying to mimic my game after him, guys like Troy, other big-time guys that came from Steeler Nation”, Edmunds said after meeting with and talking to Shell.

The Steelers will need that from him. Shell recorded at least four interceptions in a season seven times. They haven’t had any player do that in the last seven seasons—Polamalu being the most recent to do it in 2010, with seven picks.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/donnie-shell-expects-a-lot-of-big-plays-from-terrell-edmunds-this-year/

Disco1981
06-26-2019, 09:26 PM

Burns very good his rookie year is kind of a stretch imo...Servicable " at best " would be a better moniker

Captain Lemming
06-27-2019, 09:58 AM
That is a great comparison.

The numbers in the comparison between Troy's rookie season and Edmunds means nothing to me. I think Edmunds did look better as the season went on. I forget the game, but there was one game in particular where he looked really good. He has the raw athleticism that he could be a dynamic, game changing type of player, but I've seen nothing from him to indicate that he will play at that level. I think he'll end up being solid but unspectacular.

I think that is the least likely scenario.
Dude has ridiculous talent......if he figures out how to use it he will be spectacular.
If he doesnt I see an Artie reach.

phillyesq
06-27-2019, 05:32 PM
I think that is the least likely scenario.
Dude has ridiculous talent......if he figures out how to use it he will be spectacular.
If he doesnt I see an Artie reach.

I get your point, but there are some guys - I think Bud Dupree is a great example - who are stellar athletes but not stellar football players. I think Edmunds athleticism will allow him to overcome some mistakes and be a middle of the pack type safety.

I hope I'm wrong. He has elite athleticism, and if he puts it together, could be spectacular. I just haven't seen flashes from him to indicate that he'll be that kind of guy.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
06-28-2019, 03:14 PM
Burns very good his rookie year is kind of a stretch imo...Servicable " at best " would be a better moniker

I'd say he "showed promise". Semantics maybe, but there was every reason to believe that he would have been able to progress as the years went on. He has slipped since his rookie year.

hawaiiansteel
06-28-2019, 04:14 PM
Terrell Edmunds Predicted To Have Breakout Season By NFL.com

By Alex Kozora
Posted on June 28, 2019

Just as James Washington showed up on NFL.com’s “breakout” list, Gil Brandt is predicted a big season ahead for Pittsburgh Steelers’ safety Terrell Edmunds. Edmunds showed up on a list of nine defensive backs poised for a breakout year. Regarding the Steelers’ sophomore safety, Brandt writes:

“Edmunds was projected by most people to be a second-round pick, but the Steelers jumped up and snagged the safety — and he proceeded to play 1,189 snaps (including special teams), which was more than any other rookie in 2018, while proving he warranted the use of that first-round choice. The brother of fellow first-round pick Tremaine Edmunds, Terrell stepped in for injured safety Morgan Burnett early in the year and never looked back, collecting the second-most tackles on the team. That said, Edmunds finished the year with just one interception and zero forced fumbles. The hope is that both Edmunds and defensive back Sean Davis can generate more impact plays under the tutelage of new staffer Teryl Austin, the former Lions and Bengals defensive coordinator.”

A fair assessment of his rookie year though at the risk of being pedantic, Edmunds played the second most snaps of any rookie. The Colts’ Quenton Nelson played slightly more, finished with 1215. But the point functions the same. He played a lot more than anyone on the Steelers expected or planned for. Morgan Burnett missed most of the start of the year with an injury and by the time he got back into the lineup, the team opted to roll with the same starting lineup.

As we’ve written about in the past, while it was far from a magical rookie season, he improved as the season went on and seemed to avoid the dreaded rookie wall. His physicality and tackling picked up too. Now, as Brandt notes, the defense will look for more splash in his game. Edmunds created just one turnover last season, taking advantage of a Ryan Fitzpatrick overthrow in the Week 3 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

He’ll also be compared to another safety Pittsburgh could’ve drafted and expressed interest in before taking Edmunds. Brandt includes the Cincinnati Bengals’ FS Jessie Bates as part of his nine. Bates had a better season from a box score perspective. In 16 starts, he racked up a whopping 111 tackles, broke up seven passes, and intercepted another three.

It’s a big year for both of the Steelers’ starting safeties. Edmunds will be counted on to make the anticipated Year Two jump. Opposite of him sits Sean Davis. We wrote earlier in the week how critical 2019 is for him.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/terrell-edmunds-predicted-to-have-breakout-season-by-nfl-com/

Steel Maniac
06-30-2019, 01:26 AM
He will be tested greatly in week #1.

Oviedo
07-01-2019, 08:05 AM
Terrell Edmunds Predicted To Have Breakout Season By NFL.com

By Alex Kozora
Posted on June 28, 2019

Just as James Washington showed up on NFL.com’s “breakout” list, Gil Brandt is predicted a big season ahead for Pittsburgh Steelers’ safety Terrell Edmunds. Edmunds showed up on a list of nine defensive backs poised for a breakout year. Regarding the Steelers’ sophomore safety, Brandt writes:

“Edmunds was projected by most people to be a second-round pick, but the Steelers jumped up and snagged the safety — and he proceeded to play 1,189 snaps (including special teams), which was more than any other rookie in 2018, while proving he warranted the use of that first-round choice. The brother of fellow first-round pick Tremaine Edmunds, Terrell stepped in for injured safety Morgan Burnett early in the year and never looked back, collecting the second-most tackles on the team. That said, Edmunds finished the year with just one interception and zero forced fumbles. The hope is that both Edmunds and defensive back Sean Davis can generate more impact plays under the tutelage of new staffer Teryl Austin, the former Lions and Bengals defensive coordinator.”

A fair assessment of his rookie year though at the risk of being pedantic, Edmunds played the second most snaps of any rookie. The Colts’ Quenton Nelson played slightly more, finished with 1215. But the point functions the same. He played a lot more than anyone on the Steelers expected or planned for. Morgan Burnett missed most of the start of the year with an injury and by the time he got back into the lineup, the team opted to roll with the same starting lineup.

As we’ve written about in the past, while it was far from a magical rookie season, he improved as the season went on and seemed to avoid the dreaded rookie wall. His physicality and tackling picked up too. Now, as Brandt notes, the defense will look for more splash in his game. Edmunds created just one turnover last season, taking advantage of a Ryan Fitzpatrick overthrow in the Week 3 victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

He’ll also be compared to another safety Pittsburgh could’ve drafted and expressed interest in before taking Edmunds. Brandt includes the Cincinnati Bengals’ FS Jessie Bates as part of his nine. Bates had a better season from a box score perspective. In 16 starts, he racked up a whopping 111 tackles, broke up seven passes, and intercepted another three.

It’s a big year for both of the Steelers’ starting safeties. Edmunds will be counted on to make the anticipated Year Two jump. Opposite of him sits Sean Davis. We wrote earlier in the week how critical 2019 is for him.

https://steelersdepot.com/2019/06/terrell-edmunds-predicted-to-have-breakout-season-by-nfl-com/

I believe Edmunds will have an excellent season starting with the first game against the Patriots