PDA

View Full Version : At This Point, Would It Be Better ...

Buzz
12-25-2018, 06:49 PM
... if we missed the playoffs?

Hear me out. I will never root against the Steelers. I will never be pulling for us to lose. I'll keep wanting us to win as long as we are alive this season.

But might it actually be better for the long haul if we DON'T get into the dance than if we DO?

If we get in, we're likely to lose out in the first round, or maybe the second ... but I think we would then see very little meaningful change before next season. We would likely be disappointed again next year by an inconsistent and underachieving team.

But if we miss the playoffs, maybe just maybe the seat will get hot enough on some key people that they will be forced to take the necessary, even drastic measures needed to get this squad moving in the right direction.

What say you?

flippy
12-25-2018, 07:06 PM
I’ll take one more game please.

As as much as this team frustrates me this season, they can beat anyone, anytime, anywhere.

If we can back in, this team has a legit chance to win it all. We can also be one and done.

Ernie
12-25-2018, 07:18 PM
I'll never root against this team either... even if it means the current coaching staff staying on board for the next several years. I don't think we have the coaching talent to make a deep run in the playoffs this year. Only thing I hate more than that... is "Watching the playoffs from home".

Steel Maniac
12-25-2018, 07:23 PM
Last year, after we fizzled out against the jags in the playoffs, the minority owners wanted Tomlin fired. Let’s see what happens after the Bengals game.

Ernie
12-25-2018, 07:29 PM
I think the calls for his job will start up again if we miss the playoffs.

This was supposed to be "The year of reckoning" lol

NorthCoast
12-25-2018, 08:19 PM
I think the calls for his job will start up again if we miss the playoffs.

Haven't heard a single media outlet, analyst, or reporter say Tomlin is in danger of losing his job. But continue to try to convince yourself it will happen.

Starlifter
12-25-2018, 10:06 PM
The reason most of us are so pi$$ed this year is because we know this team can beat anyone and they have underachieved massively this year.

But I want the playoffs. If they could pull it together the Steelers can absolutely win #7

pittpete
12-25-2018, 10:27 PM
No, im praying for a playoff appearance.
I'll take it any way we can.
Super Bowl or bust

Disco1981
12-25-2018, 10:36 PM
... if we missed the playoffs?

Hear me out. I will never root against the Steelers. I will never be pulling for us to lose. I'll keep wanting us to win as long as we are alive this season.

But might it actually be better for the long haul if we DON'T get into the dance than if we DO?

If we get in, we're likely to lose out in the first round, or maybe the second ... but I think we would then see very little meaningful change before next season. We would likely be disappointed again next year by an inconsistent and underachieving team.

But if we miss the playoffs, maybe just maybe the seat will get hot enough on some key people that they will be forced to take the necessary, even drastic measures needed to get this squad moving in the right direction.

What say you?

They won't do anything with Tomlin whether we make the playoffs or not...Even if THEN his seat his hot, so what...Ben will be a year older...And is Tomlin all of a sudden going to coach " better " next year...Learn how to use timeouts, challenges, not lay eggs and have his team ready to play against **** teams?

Same mistakes he's been making are not going to go away with him next year, Because he's on the hotseat imo

Disco1981
12-25-2018, 10:43 PM
IF the Browns beat Ravens and WE lose to the Bungals...SOMETHING will happen...That something in my opinion will be something like getting rid of Butler, or Porter, or both...

Show the public...SEE, We did something

SteelBucks
12-25-2018, 10:48 PM
Just win and let everything else sort itself out.

Shawn
12-26-2018, 08:02 AM
People can say what they wish about the defense. But, unfortunately we need to look for our next franchise QB. We have two guys who most likely will never reach the level of Landry Jones. Neither are looking like they can carry this team. Early yes, but neither have impressed me. So, if I had my choice, make playoff but wash out after a game or two, or get a draft slot where we can actually grab a top QB, I go with the draft slot. Because guys we are in for a long line of 7-9 8-8 seasons if we do not find him.

Captain Lemming
12-26-2018, 01:32 PM
A 7/9 season actually makes "finding him" easier.
I say we a one free agent corner and a solid draft away from elite NOW.

If the guys we have dont pan out let the team tank a little after Ben a get his replacement.

Trying where we draft now is more than likely a swing and miss anyway.

Oviedo
12-26-2018, 02:38 PM

Who said that other than a bunch of internet warriors? Never heard the Rooneys say it so no one else matters

Sugar
12-26-2018, 02:44 PM
Who said that other than a bunch of internet warriors? Never heard the Rooneys say it so no one else matters
That's what I was thinking as well. Just like many of the same "internet warriors" are saying that Tomlin are on a "hot seat" of some kind.

NorthCoast
12-26-2018, 10:02 PM
That's what I was thinking as well. Just like many of the same "internet warriors" are saying that Tomlin are on a "hot seat" of some kind.They are hoping that if they say it often enough, it will come true. It was a disappointing season, but no where near the level needing sweeping changes. Before the season started, did anyone expect Roethlisberger to lead the league in INTs, did anyone think that Boswell would go from Pro Bowler to nearly being cut? Those two factors likely were the difference in at least two games. But they are not reasons why a team would make a change in coaching.

winwithd
12-26-2018, 11:27 PM
IF they should happen to not get into the playoffs I think my gut will be saying, 'Serves them right, they got what they deserve for being careless and arrogant in thinking they don't have to show up every game and they'll just pull it out anyway'. Sort of the approach last year. Not showing up against Jacksonville til they were done 21 pts. They got away with it often last year with several last minute comebacks. They did it vs Jacksonville this year and that was the last time.

pittpete
12-27-2018, 12:19 AM
unfortunately we need to look for our next franchise QB. We have two guys who most likely will never reach the level of Landry Jones.

How the heck could you or anyone else know this?
Where do you come up with this stuff?
Rudolph is a nobody because of a few preseason games?

Steel Maniac
12-27-2018, 02:36 AM
We don’t know what Rudolph is yet. Or Dobbs really for that matter.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-27-2018, 11:52 AM
is joe starkey an "internet warrior "?

he is on 93.7 the fan and says tomlins seat should certainly be hot and would not blame the steelers if they fired tomlin

Buzz
12-27-2018, 01:55 PM
Rooneys ought to demand that Tomlin hire special assistants to help with: 1) replays/challenges; 2) clock management, and 3) in-game decisions (advise of probabilities & likelihood of success). If he will not comply, they ought to let him go.

Do I think they'll actually do this? No. MT ought to be on the hot seat, but he's got the closest thing there is to permanent job security.

Oviedo
12-27-2018, 02:30 PM
Rooneys ought to demand that Tomlin hire special assistants to help with: 1) replays/challenges; 2) clock management, and 3) in-game decisions (advise of probabilities & likelihood of success). If he will not comply, they ought to let him go.

Do I think they'll actually do this? No. MT ought to be on the hot seat, but he's got the closest thing there is to permanent job security.

Im sure they will embrace your reccomdations

Eddie Spaghetti
12-27-2018, 03:35 PM

does tomlin do anything wrong for you ovi?

do you think he has done a good job this year if his team misses the playoffs?

Oviedo
12-27-2018, 04:30 PM
does tomlin do anything wrong for you ovi?

do you think he has done a good job this year if his team misses the playoffs?

Of course he does wrong...just like every other coach in the NFL. That said however, he isn't the guy on the field throwing INTs, fumbling, etc. That is on the players.

The fact is he isn't the second most winningest coach over the last decade because he just got lucky. The irrational calls for his job are ridiculous when you look at the big picture. This is a disappointing year and fixes need to be made but not with the head coach who provides the stability that has lead to long term success. Wal Mart doesn't fire the CEO because the store in Fox Chapel has issues. What posters don't get is the Steelers aren't their high school football teams. There is a clear management structure that the Rooneys have implemented and embraced. Decisions are collective and responsibility is shared between the Executives, Colbert and Tomlin. That is why they are successful and why they don't act like hysterical children when things go wrong. The gather info, analyze and implement fixes and Tomlin is a part of that precess. If Tomlin did wrong, then Colbert did wrong and the Rooneys did wrong because decisions made are collective. The Rooneys aren't interested in a sacrificial lamb because of a bunch of bitchers and moaners.

IMO Butler needs to be evaluated and possibly replaced. He is most directly responsible for the defensive game plans and preparing the unit for games. Joey Porter and Bradley should go too. Their units took steps back.

Steel Maniac
12-27-2018, 04:43 PM
Of course he does wrong...just like every other coach in the NFL. That said however, he isn't the guy on the field throwing INTs, fumbling, etc. That is on the players.

The fact is he isn't the second most winningest coach over the last decade because he just got lucky. The irrational calls for his job are ridiculous when you look at the big picture. This is a disappointing year and fixes need to be made but not with the head coach who provides the stability that has lead to long term success. Wal Mart doesn't fire the CEO because the store in Fox Chapel has issues. What posters don't get is the Steelers aren't their high school football teams. There is a clear management structure that the Rooneys have implemented and embraced. Decisions are collective and responsibility is shared between the Executives, Colbert and Tomlin. That is why they are successful and why they don't act like hysterical children when things go wrong. The gather info, analyze and implement fixes and Tomlin is a part of that precess. If Tomlin did wrong, then Colbert did wrong and the Rooneys did wrong because decisions made are collective. The Rooneys aren't interested in a sacrificial lamb because of a bunch of bitchers and moaners.

IMO Butler needs to be evaluated and possibly replaced. He is most directly responsible for the defensive game plans and preparing the unit for games. Joey Porter and Bradley should go too. Their units took steps back.

just want to make sure this is captured.

Sugar
12-27-2018, 05:26 PM
Thanks Ovi- that captures a lot of my thinking on the subject as well. Thankfully, the Rooney's are not the types to even pay attention to those of us on message boards. As someone who grew up in Detroit country and now resides in Bengal-land, I know what bad front-offices look like and how dysfunctional organizations work. Even in frustrating years, I really appreciate the way that the Steelers (Rooney's) do their business. They are a model in the NFL for a reason.

Oviedo
12-27-2018, 06:25 PM
just want to make sure this is captured.

I'd be happy to send to you in a PM if that makes it clearer for you and helps you upload your message board "i gotcha" database. Whatever I can do to help!

Buzz
12-27-2018, 06:31 PM

They ought to. ;)

Buzz
12-27-2018, 06:36 PM

So Tomlin is responsible EXCEPT when it comes to the defensive game plans and preparing the unit for games? Then it's all on Butler? Even though Tomlin has said this is HIS defense, and he was known to be taking charge of defensive meetings, etc.? Something doesn't smell right there.

Steel Maniac
12-27-2018, 07:28 PM
I'd be happy to send to you in a PM if that makes it clearer for you and helps you upload your message board "i gotcha" database. Whatever I can do to help!

Oh no. What I did was sufficient. Thanks for asking thou..

Steel Maniac
12-27-2018, 07:30 PM
So Tomlin is responsible EXCEPT when it comes to the defensive game plans and preparing the unit for games? Then it's all on Butler? Even though Tomlin has said this is HIS defense, and he was known to be taking charge of defensive meetings, etc.? Something doesn't smell right there.

Tomlin said after the playoff Jags loss, and everyone was coming after Butler, Tomlin jumped in front of Butler and said, " He's running the defense the way that I want him to. I have no problem with him."

And it doesn't add up. And considering where we are now, it shows classic dysfunctionality. But something will give after the Ravens win the division and the egg is firmly on our face then.

Northern_Blitz
12-27-2018, 08:34 PM
Tomlin said after the playoff Jags loss, and everyone was coming after Butler, Tomlin jumped in front of Butler and said, " He's running the defense the way that I want him to. I have no problem with him."

And it doesn't add up. And considering where we are now, it shows classic dysfunctionality. But something will give after the Ravens win the division and the egg is firmly on our face then.

Can you explain why this shows "classic dysfunctionality"?

To me it seem like a leader standing up for one of his charges. I wouldn't be surprised if the conversations behind closed doors were different (like how players almost always talk in cliches).

I think it's naive to believe that what we hear in less conferences is what people actually think.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-27-2018, 08:39 PM
i respect ovis opinion as he's been around here a while, I just don't agree with it anymore. I don't believe tomlin can take this franchise to another SB and as a lifelong fan that is the goal.

this constant refrain about his regular season winning % just rings more hollow with each passing year. 3 playoff wins in 8 years with a franchise QB with the talent he has around him is a staggering tribute to underachievment.

it's always appeared to me that some people are invested in mike tomlin as something more than just a head football coach. the taunts of racism are thrown at the first hint of criticism and while there is some of that in the fan base, most of us just want to win another super bowl and are starting to believe tomlin can't get us there. nothing more, nothing less

Northern_Blitz
12-27-2018, 08:58 PM
i respect ovis opinion as he's been around here a while, I just don't agree with it anymore. I don't believe tomlin can take this franchise to another SB and as a lifelong fan that is the goal.

this constant refrain about his regular season winning % just rings more hollow with each passing year. 3 playoff wins in 8 years with a franchise QB with the talent he has around him is a staggering tribute to underachievment.

it's always appeared to me that some people are invested in mike tomlin as something more than just a head football coach. the taunts of racism are thrown at the first hint of criticism and while there is some of that in the fan base, most of us just want to win another super bowl and are starting to believe tomlin can't get us there. nothing more, nothing less

FWIW I don't think it would be the end of the world if we replaced Tomlin.

I think that whoever we bring in would probably be worse, but I also think that execution on the field matters a lot more than coaching.

I just think that the expectations around here are unreasonable. Probably because we've been spoiled by the team's success for a long time.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-27-2018, 09:13 PM
why is it unreasonable for people to expect more than 3 playoff wins in 8 years with a HOF QB in his prime?

I will never understand that

Oviedo
12-28-2018, 05:53 AM

I think that whoever we bring in would probably be worse, but I also think that execution on the field matters a lot more than coaching.

I just think that the expectations around here are unreasonable. Probably because we've been spoiled by the team's success for a long time.

Yes to this. The assumption that the next guy will be better is how franchises slip into mediocrity as they chase the next messiah

Ernie
12-28-2018, 06:27 AM
Yes to this. The assumption that the next guy will be better is how franchises slip into mediocrity as they chase the next messiah

We've already slipped into mediocrity Ovi.

Northern_Blitz
12-28-2018, 08:59 AM
We've already slipped into mediocrity Ovi.

Wait until Ben retires.

Then we'll probably start to understand that mediocrity is worse than missing the playoffs one out of every four or five years.

Ernie
12-28-2018, 09:21 AM
Wait until Ben retires.

Then we'll probably start to understand that mediocrity is worse than missing the playoffs one out of every four or five years.

When was the last time an offense that had 5 pro bowlers (plus a HOF QB and another Pro Bowl caliber WR in JJSS) missed the playoffs?

We are by far the biggest underachievers in the league this year.

Steel Maniac
12-28-2018, 09:32 AM
Can you explain why this shows "classic dysfunctionality"?

To me it seem like a leader standing up for one of his charges. I wouldn't be surprised if the conversations behind closed doors were different (like how players almost always talk in cliches).

I think it's naive to believe that what we hear in less conferences is what people actually think.

I think it is naive to dismiss what a hall of famer ( James Harrison ) said. No discipline means disfunctionality.

Steel Maniac
12-28-2018, 09:34 AM
Players on the cell phone during games. Wake up.

Steel Maniac
12-28-2018, 09:36 AM

And here lies the problem: people afraid of change. Change is awkward. No doubt about it but we are already mediocre.