PDA

View Full Version : The Fix Is In

flippy
12-23-2018, 05:57 PM
Never saw such a lame PI penalty in my life. it wasn’t close to a penalty.

The fix is in for sure.

There must be a lot of money on the Saints and they need to cover.

Starlifter
12-23-2018, 06:00 PM
That’s not just a mistake - it’s incompetence.

Someone needs fired after this game.

SteelBucks
12-23-2018, 06:10 PM
The worst PI call at any level. Unbelievable.

flippy
12-23-2018, 06:17 PM
Omg. It gets worse. Thomas had 2 steps before Davis caused a fumble.

flippy
12-23-2018, 06:18 PM
And another ticky tack PI for 22.

flippy
12-23-2018, 06:19 PM
14 pts by the Zebras.

Moonie
12-23-2018, 06:21 PM
We were warned about this crew earlier in the week. They are living up to it.

brothervad
12-23-2018, 06:23 PM
Home field advantage unfortunately. Study done by 538 suggested most impactful aspect of HFA is officiating.

Unless you are Pittsburgh playing San Diego...

But end of day...Steelers needed to take care of business earlier this year.

brothervad

flippy
12-23-2018, 06:26 PM
And they pick up a flag thrown against NO. Amazing.

flippy
12-23-2018, 06:27 PM
This could be more points on the zebras.

Starlifter
12-23-2018, 06:27 PM
I call that tomlins failed #11 challenge. Why he only throws that flag when it’s clear he’ll lose is a mystery.

flippy
12-23-2018, 06:32 PM
I call that tomlins failed #11 challenge. Why he only throws that flag when it’s clear he’ll lose is a mystery.

Agreed. WTF?

brothervad
12-23-2018, 06:35 PM
Realistically, this is the change I want the front office to force on Tomlin.

He needs someone to review these plays for a challenge.

Period.

brothervad

flippy
12-23-2018, 06:59 PM
Should have been a 49 yd FG attempt to end the half imho. Not a big difference.

Steelgal
12-23-2018, 07:04 PM
With the way this crew has officiated today, I don't thin k there's any way that call gets overturned. Maybe that's why he didn't challenge, I have no idea. I think he should have tried, but didn't think it would actually vhange it

flippy
12-23-2018, 07:49 PM
I think there was another catch and fumble returned for a TD.

Zebras have impacted a 21-31 pt swing in this game.

Amazing we’re still keeping this thing competitive.

flippy
12-23-2018, 08:06 PM
Ridley wouldn’t have been a fumble if he played for NO.

brothervad
12-23-2018, 08:07 PM
Not enough to overturn Ridley's fumble.

Actually this is a good Tomlin challenge, even though I think he will lose it.

GDamn! Why can't they ever just go out and punch the other team in the mouth. GDamn! why can't they just execute a 4th quarter for once?!

brothervad

flippy
12-23-2018, 08:11 PM
1st down play. WRs 1st foot can down inbounds then hit out of bounds before 2nd foot came down.

flippy
12-23-2018, 08:20 PM
Is Tomlin’s gut in on the fix?

flippy
12-23-2018, 08:30 PM
I think Heyeard tipped that ball on the 4th down PI.

brothervad
12-23-2018, 08:35 PM
come on Flippy...

3rd and 20 you are getting in Brees's head by applying pressure and you play zone and give up a 25 yard pass.

This is why Butler needs to go.

brothervad

Buzz
12-23-2018, 08:55 PM
come on Flippy...

3rd and 20 you are getting in Brees's head by applying pressure and you play zone and give up a 25 yard pass.

brothervad

pathetic

absolutely pathetic

SteelBucks
12-23-2018, 08:57 PM
So much to complain about, so little time.

brothervad
12-23-2018, 08:57 PM
btw...yeah I think some of the calls were BS.

But you had 2 chances to go up by 2 possessions and you have a Turnover by a castoff HB (Ridley) and a bad sack by Ben coupled with a lamebrain fake punt call by "MY GUT IS ALWAYS WRONG" Tomlin.

you then have JuJu fumbling the final drive where we were at worst driving down to a missed FG by heartbreak kicker.

Again a 4th quarter choke performance to end this miserable season and yes it is miserable because you had a 2 1/2 game lead that you blew when having large leads against Denver and SD and lost to the worst team in the NFL.

SMH

brothervad

papillon
12-23-2018, 08:59 PM
btw...yeah I think some of the calls were BS.

But you had 2 chances to go up by 2 possessions and you have a Turnover by a castoff HB (Ridley) and a bad sack by Ben coupled with a lamebrain fake punt call by "MY GUT IS ALWAYS WRONG" Tomlin.

you then have JuJu fumbling the final drive where we were at worst driving down to a missed FG by heartbreak kicker.

Again a 4th quarter choke performance to end this miserable season and yes it is miserable because you had a 2 1/2 game lead that you blew when having large leads against Denver and SD and lost to the worst team in the NFL.

SMH

brothervad

Ben's sack was a complete whiff by Samuels on the blitz pickup, Ben saw the guy coming and had no reason to believe that Samuels would whiff on the block. I don't see that being a bad sack at all.

Pappy

NorthCoast
12-23-2018, 09:01 PM
Look at the positive, should get Steelers higher up in the draft to pick some DBs that suck

Eich
12-23-2018, 09:02 PM
We proved we don’t belong in the playoffs. All I hope for now is for the cheaters to get knocked out quickly.

brothervad
12-23-2018, 09:05 PM
Not really blaming Ben Pap...

Just the lack of execution...that was bad. It's more that the Steelers seem to find ways to not execute when it matters most.

That is what I mean by bad.

Samuels misses the block...lots of irony here this season

brothervad

Sword
12-23-2018, 09:09 PM
Distgusted again...... Tomlin and butler needs to go....just business....

papillon
12-23-2018, 09:10 PM
Not really blaming Ben Pap...

Just the lack of execution...that was bad. It's more that the Steelers seem to find ways to not execute when it matters most.

That is what I mean by bad.

Samuels misses the block...lots of irony here this season

brothervad

I'll give you lack of execution for sure, however, for rookie he's been good in blitz pickup, he simply made a mistake at the worst possible time.

Pappy

NorthCoast
12-23-2018, 09:11 PM
I think Heyeard tipped that ball on the 4th down PI.

I agree but only saw the replay once. Not sure that's even reviewable.

pittpete
12-23-2018, 09:12 PM
Samuels blitz pickup was disgusting.
Sean Davis is disgusting.
Butlers defensive scheme is disgusting.
The 3rd and power I was disgusting.

Chucktownsteeler
12-24-2018, 02:36 AM
Never saw such a lame PI penalty in my life. it wasn’t close to a penalty.

The fix is in for sure.

There must be a lot of money on the Saints and they need to cover.

Just watched the game, on the first P.I. (on 4th down no less), does anyone think that ball was catch-able? Also, no disrespect to Haden, but you have to no it's 4th down and when you see the ball is 12 feet in the air don't jostle the WR.

Ernie
12-24-2018, 05:37 AM
Samuels blitz pickup was disgusting.
Sean Davis is disgusting.
Butlers defensive scheme is disgusting.
The 3rd and power I was disgusting.

The 3rd and "Schmedium" was one of the worst play calls I've seen all year. That's 100% on coaching. You put your 4th string RB out there (cold) versus the #1 run defense in the league... in a hostile environment when the crowd is rocking the stadium at a critical point in the game. Although its only 1 play so to speak... its the kind of play that swings the game one way or the other. Absolute terrible call... and that's on the coach.

papillon
12-24-2018, 10:07 AM
The 3rd and "Schmedium" was one of the worst play calls I've seen all year. That's 100% on coaching. You put your 4th string RB out there (cold) versus the #1 run defense in the league... in a hostile environment when the crowd is rocking the stadium at a critical point in the game. Although its only 1 play so to speak... its the kind of play that swings the game one way or the other. Absolute terrible call... and that's on the coach.

I'm not against the play call, I am against the personnel used to run the play, Samuels should have been in the game. As a matter of fact, I wish the Steelers would run the ball downhill more often with a fullback lead, Nix is like having another lineman in the game but he gets a head start before he hits someone.

Pappy

Ernie
12-24-2018, 10:11 AM
I was against all aspects of the call. With 4 minutes left, and 3 timeouts, a first down on that play was certainly not an "Ice the game" type of deal. Our defense had held them to 24 up to that point, and had made several key stops. Punt the ball away and make them drive the length of the field.

Buzz
12-25-2018, 01:06 AM
I just watched the replay of all the bad calls ... although the Steelers could/should have overcome them by eliminating turnovers, it sure looks as though the refs were trying to assist the Saints in this game. HFA is a huge advantage for NO; the league wants Brees to be in another Super Bowl.

Mr.wizard
12-25-2018, 08:13 AM

Ridley is the short yardage back and probably has been the one practicing with that personnel package. In my opinion Ben has to make a check at the line when he sees the box stacked up like that. Ben not calling an audible tells me that they were planning on going for it on 4th. Also lets be real here it's a power run on 3rd and 1, people are acting like he called a double reverse. I don't blame Tomlin for Ridley fumbling, Ridley is an NFL running back his job is to hold on to the ball.

Ernie
12-25-2018, 08:39 AM
except for the fact that it wasn't 3rd and 1. It was 3rd and almost 3.

Ernie
12-25-2018, 08:40 AM
and that's a nice theory on Ben with the audible. Id imagine he didn't have many options though... with the formation we were lined up in.

Mr.wizard
12-25-2018, 08:59 AM
except for the fact that it wasn't 3rd and 1. It was 3rd and almost 3.

I just re-watched it, it was 3rd and 2 but still a situation where running it is a viable option especially if you're planning on going for it on 4th down. Ridley still needs to hold on to the ball it doesnt matter if its 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 30.

Ernie
12-25-2018, 09:06 AM
I just re-watched it, it was 3rd and 2 but still a situation where running it is a viable option especially if you're planning on going for it on 4th down. Ridley still needs to hold on to the ball it doesnt matter if its 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 30.

It was a poor play call. Lining up in a "Heavy" formation on a 3rd and 2+ yards against the #1 rush defense in the league... when the crowd is going nuts. Im sorry but you don't put the game in Ridley's hands... whether its 4 down territory or not. Piss poor play call.

Buzz
12-25-2018, 10:48 AM
It was a poor play call. Lining up in a "Heavy" formation on a 3rd and 2+ yards against the #1 rush defense in the league... when the crowd is going nuts. Im sorry but you don't put the game in Ridley's hands... whether its 4 down territory or not. Piss poor play call.

Agreed. The fumble is on Ridley. But the play call in that situation, with a cold RB, sucked.

NJ-STEELER
12-26-2018, 10:50 PM
I agree but only saw the replay once. Not sure that's even reviewable.

the sunday night game had a review on a tipped pass/penalty

Steel Maniac
12-28-2018, 09:46 AM
Was the fix in when we kept Ben out of the raider game until the end? Hmmm.

Northern_Blitz
12-28-2018, 10:03 AM

Aren't we supposed to have one of the best lines in the NFL and a probowl FB?

if so, why is it unreasonable to ask that we can get 2.5 yards in 2 downs.

All we have to do is not fumble. But we suck at not fumbling this year.

The Man of Steel
12-28-2018, 10:10 AM
Was the fix in when we kept Ben out of the raider game until the end? Hmmm.
Tomlin does have a personal fondness for losing to the NFL’s scrub teams every season so he “obviously” threw that game for his own peace of mind.

RuthlessBurgher
12-28-2018, 09:09 PM
NFL admits a bad pass interference call but ignores Steelers-Saints
By Michael David Smith | Dec 28, 2018, 6:15 PM EST

The NFL has publicly admitted that an official made a bad pass interference call on Sunday. But not the ones everyone was talking about.

NFL V.P. of Officiating Al Riveron addressed pass interference in his weekly officiating video, but he had nothing to say about the pass interference call against Steelers cornerback Joe Haden that didn’t appear to have any significant contact at all. Or about the other pass interference call against Haden on a pass that appeared to have been tipped at the line of scrimmage, which would have negated any interference penalty. Or about the Saints’ game-winning touchdown, on which they appeared to commit offensive pass interference.

Instead, Riveron mentioned a call in the Packers-Jets game when Jets safety Jamal Adams was flagged for interference on Packers tight end Jimmy Graham.

“We want to talk about defensive pass interference,” he said. “This was called, unfortunately. This is not a foul for defensive pass interference. We see both players making contact with each other. There is no restriction on either side. The defender comes over the top, but, again, does not materially affect the receiver going up for the ball. This is not a foul for defensive pass interference.”

So Riveron is willing to admit his officials got a pass interference call wrong. But if Steelers fans were hoping to hear him admit a mistake from their game on Sunday, they’ll be left disappointed.

Ernie
12-28-2018, 09:15 PM
Aren't we supposed to have one of the best lines in the NFL and a probowl FB?

if so, why is it unreasonable to ask that we can get 2.5 yards in 2 downs.

All we have to do is not fumble. But we suck at not fumbling this year.

Because we are in a hostile environment against the #1 run defense in the league... lined up in a very predictable run formation... No doubt in my mind that we could get 2.5 yards in 2 plays.... that particular formation/play call was not the best way to go about it though... and I think it proved out that way.

RuthlessBurgher
01-25-2019, 01:49 PM
Dan Rooney proposed a “video official” long ago

Posted by Mike Florio on January 25, 2019, 12:34 PM EST

Starting several years ago and ramping up more recently, PFT has proposed a simple approach to improving officiating: Add an eighth member to each officiating crew, who would sit in a booth at the stadium, watch all available network camera angles, and communicate with the referee in real time, as part of the first look at a play and not the official replay process. Coincidentally, someone with far more ability and standing had the same idea long before we did.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette explains that the late Dan Rooney articulated a similar approach long ago.

“Rooney told me when replay was in its infancy as a means to ‘get the calls right’ that his suggestion was a simple one: Add a member to each officiating crew and put him upstairs in a booth so he can watch the game on a TV screen and also view replays.

“He would have the same authority as the officials on the field to call penalties, but most importantly for other purposes. He could discuss a called penalty with the rest of the crew if it were obvious to him it was not a penalty. They do that now at times when a flag is thrown — the officials huddle, and then decide there was no penalty.”

Bouchette added via text message that he doesn’t know whether Dan Rooney ever officially proposed this approach. Regardless of whether he did, the time for seriously considering it has come.

Everyone at home now sees in high definition and on crisp, clear flat screens that which the officials never see, but for the formal replay-review process. The league needs to have an official who is watching what the rest of us are watching, bridging that gap and intervening immediately to fix mistakes before they become official rulings on the field.

The fact that someone who had a key role in hiring the current Commissioner suggested this approach should get the current Commissioner to at least take a look at it, especially since the current Commissioner has a serious problem when it comes to the quality of officiating. This is the simplest, easiest way to improve the process.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/25/dan-rooney-proposed-a-video-official-long-ago/

Eich
01-25-2019, 02:07 PM
I agree with this. And I also believe that everything about any play should be challenge-able. You don't need to give teams more challenges. Just make EVERYTHING challenge-able.

Buzz
01-26-2019, 01:57 AM
Officials are no doubt meeting right now to discuss how they can help Brady & Belichick win their 6th Super Bowl

Ernie
01-26-2019, 09:26 AM
I agree with this. And I also believe that everything about any play should be challenge-able. You don't need to give teams more challenges. Just make EVERYTHING challenge-able.

Yep... I (along with the vast majority of NFL fans) are sick of the poor officiating. The Saints were absolutely robbed...

NorthCoast
01-26-2019, 10:38 AM
Dan Rooney was ahead of his time.

RobinCole
01-26-2019, 11:52 AM
The Saints got absolutely robbed? Boo hoo. I didn’t see them complaining when the zebras gave them the Steeler game. Just like I didn’t see the Chargers complaining when the zebras gave them two TDs against us, both of which should have been nullified by (1) a blatant false start and (2) a blatant block in the back on the punt return. They even admitted they blew the false start.

Ernie
01-26-2019, 11:55 AM
The Saints got absolutely robbed? Boo hoo. I didn’t see them complaining when the zebras gave them the Steeler game. Just like I didn’t see the Chargers complaining when the zebras gave them two TDs against us, both of which should have been nullified by (1) a blatant false start and (2) a blatant block in the back on the punt return.

good lord dude.. go back to your hole

RobinCole
01-26-2019, 11:56 AM
Same to you in spades, Ernie baby. And furthermore, blowitoutcherass.

Ernie
01-26-2019, 12:01 PM
lol.. keyboard warrior

Steel Maniac
01-26-2019, 01:15 PM
I think the best way to fix this is something I suggested 5 years ago.

You have one special, green colored flag that can be used once in each half where the coach can throw it (just once in a half mind you) to challenge a normally unchallengeable play.

This way, it doesn't disrupt the flow of the game too much, but you can prevent boo boos like what we had in the Saints/Rams game.

And in the second half of games, coaches won't use it until the very end of a game anyway for just such emergencies like what we had in the Saints/Rams game. Real easy fix.

RobinCole
01-26-2019, 02:20 PM
Lol, Ernie baby. This keyboard warrior got you to zip it PDQ. I love how you can readily acknowledge that the Saints got robbed but apparently can’t do the same when your (supposedly) own team got robbed.

Ernie
01-26-2019, 03:17 PM
Lol, Ernie baby. This keyboard warrior got you to zip it PDQ. I love how you can readily acknowledge that the Saints got robbed but apparently can’t do the same when your (supposedly) own team got robbed.

I wont argue with a woman behind a keyboard.. lol. thats why I let it die down...I will say this though... its foolish of you to claim I didnt feel the steelers got robbed against the saints. I fall in line with most folks.. in believe we were screwed on a few calls... as well as the saints were in their game against the rams. it's not an either/or scenario

Ernie
01-26-2019, 03:19 PM
I wont argue with a woman behind a keyboard.. lol. thats why I let it die down...I will say this though... its foolish of you to claim I didnt feel the steelers got robbed against the saints. I fall in line with most folks.. in believe we were screwed on a few calls... as well as the saints were in their game against the rams. it's not an either/or scenario

If you go back and read the discussions right after our game with the saints... you'll see where I stated the haden PI call in the endzone was one of the worst I'd ever seen. that wouldn't support your narrative though... so I doubt it happens lol

RuthlessBurgher
01-27-2019, 01:29 PM
The most blatantly obvious horrible calls this season all benefitted L.A. teams (Chargers vs. Browns, Chargers vs. Steelers, Rams vs. Saints all featured calls egregious enough to get someone fired). The NFL made a HUGE investment putting 2 teams in L.A. and the locals don't care about it one iota, so the only slim possibility of making this decision not a complete unmitigated disaster would be if the L.A. teams were actually good on the field. It appears that the NFL will stop at nothing to make sure those L.A. teams succeed to protect their massive investment there.

brothervad
01-27-2019, 02:20 PM
All,

if you really believe the fix is in, why do you still watch? I mean can't you do better things with your time than watch something that is pre-ordained by the great NFL in the sky.

No, I do not think it is fixed, because regardless of which markets make it in to the big dance, it still gonna make its billions.

Don't get me wrong there are things that make me scratch my head, and while I don't completely rule anything out, I still think for the most part it's the acceptance of incompetence and not as much a grand conspiracy.

Although Al Riveron still having a job makes me wonder...

;)

brothervad

Northern_Blitz
01-27-2019, 03:33 PM
The most blatantly obvious horrible calls this season all benefitted L.A. teams (Chargers vs. Browns, Chargers vs. Steelers, Rams vs. Saints all featured calls egregious enough to get someone fired). The NFL made a HUGE investment putting 2 teams in L.A. and the locals don't care about it one iota, so the only slim possibility of making this decision not a complete unmitigated disaster would be if the L.A. teams were actually good on the field. It appears that the NFL will stop at nothing to make sure those L.A. teams succeed to protect their massive investment there.

FWIW I'm totally OK with the league fixing the SB if it means the Pats lose

RuthlessBurgher
01-27-2019, 09:17 PM
Officials with ties to L.A. become the latest Rams-Saints point of concern
By Mike Florio | Jan 27, 2019, 6:24 PM EST

One week after the biggest non-call in years, the circumstances surrounding the latter stages of the fourth quarter of the Rams-Saints NFC title game continues to feed the never-ending NFL news cycle.

Four of the officials assigned to last Sunday night’s game live in Southern California. That concern has been percolating relatively innocuously for several days; ESPN’s decision to make it a Pro Bowl Sunday Splash! item has given it widespread attention, unfortunately.

As a league spokesman told ESPN, “Officiating assignments are based on performance and not geographic location.”

But that apparently isn’t stopping the suspicion that bias crept into the equation, raising the question of whether geography should be a factor in deciding who calls which game. Doing so legitimizes the notion that officials can’t set aside where they live, where they grew up, which teams they’ve rooted for, which team their family members root for, who they know, etc. when calling games. If the league were to venture into the rabbit hole of connective tissue between officials and teams, the league may eventually have to use something other than the best officials for the biggest games.

It’s only an issue that four of the officials live in Southern California because the crew failed to call pass interference and an illegal helmet-to-helmet hit against Rams cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman. But if geographic bias were an issue, wouldn’t they have flagged the Saints player who grabbed the facemask of Rams quarterback Jared Goff?

In virtually all cases like this, incompetence trumps intent. If the NFL hopes to minimize the situations during which fans and media suggest foul play, the league should come up with ways to improve officiating, embracing ideas like the late Dan Rooney’s suggestion of a video official who would be watching all camera angles and replays and communicating in real time with the referee to fix mistakes quickly and efficiently.

The best way to rule out foul play is to do everything possible to eliminate errors. Even if the fix wasn’t in, stories like this fuel the fantasies of the tin-foil hat crowd. The best way to prevent that it is to do whatever it takes to get the calls right.

Sword
01-28-2019, 09:36 AM
Officials with ties to L.A. become the latest Rams-Saints point of concern
By Mike Florio | Jan 27, 2019, 6:24 PM EST

One week after the biggest non-call in years, the circumstances surrounding the latter stages of the fourth quarter of the Rams-Saints NFC title game continues to feed the never-ending NFL news cycle.

Four of the officials assigned to last Sunday night’s game live in Southern California. That concern has been percolating relatively innocuously for several days; ESPN’s decision to make it a Pro Bowl Sunday Splash! item has given it widespread attention, unfortunately.

As a league spokesman told ESPN, “Officiating assignments are based on performance and not geographic location.”

But that apparently isn’t stopping the suspicion that bias crept into the equation, raising the question of whether geography should be a factor in deciding who calls which game. Doing so legitimizes the notion that officials can’t set aside where they live, where they grew up, which teams they’ve rooted for, which team their family members root for, who they know, etc. when calling games. If the league were to venture into the rabbit hole of connective tissue between officials and teams, the league may eventually have to use something other than the best officials for the biggest games.

It’s only an issue that four of the officials live in Southern California because the crew failed to call pass interference and an illegal helmet-to-helmet hit against Rams cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman. But if geographic bias were an issue, wouldn’t they have flagged the Saints player who grabbed the facemask of Rams quarterback Jared Goff?

In virtually all cases like this, incompetence trumps intent. If the NFL hopes to minimize the situations during which fans and media suggest foul play, the league should come up with ways to improve officiating, embracing ideas like the late Dan Rooney’s suggestion of a video official who would be watching all camera angles and replays and communicating in real time with the referee to fix mistakes quickly and efficiently.

The best way to rule out foul play is to do everything possible to eliminate errors. Even if the fix wasn’t in, stories like this fuel the fantasies of the tin-foil hat crowd. The best way to prevent that it is to do whatever it takes to get the calls right.

I would also look at who is doing the assignments of refs at the games!!!!!! starts there!!

Sword
01-28-2019, 09:39 AM
All,

if you really believe the fix is in, why do you still watch? I mean can't you do better things with your time than watch something that is pre-ordained by the great NFL in the sky.

No, I do not think it is fixed, because regardless of which markets make it in to the big dance, it still gonna make its billions.

Don't get me wrong there are things that make me scratch my head, and while I don't completely rule anything out, I still think for the most part it's the acceptance of incompetence and not as much a grand conspiracy.

Although Al Riveron still having a job makes me wonder...

;)

brothervad

of course there is probably not a big organized thing to do this but, you can bet your ass some refs or players have gotten paid to do things....to much money at stake.....
I think it's hard for huge football fans to just turn a switch and forget about it....I think it takes time to let it go....to much time over the years....it builds over time.....

brothervad
01-28-2019, 11:45 AM
of course there is probably not a big organized thing to do this but, you can bet your ass some refs or players have gotten paid to do things....to much money at stake.....
I think it's hard for huge football fans to just turn a switch and forget about it....I think it takes time to let it go....to much time over the years....it builds over time.....
I would tend to agree with your point.

People need to remember it slices both ways. There are people up here in Seattle some 12 years later that claim that the NFL wanted a narrative that Detroit's favorite son a one Jerome Bettis, needed to ride off into the sunset.

So those who are blindly loyal will say, "No way!" "It was earned." "Longest run in SB history!" "Bit on a flea flicker!" "The ball only needs to have a molecule break the plane and it's a TD!"

Trust me, I have said all of those things living here (Amongst other like Pittsburgh converting on a 3rd and 32 :) ).

The problem is there are many in that same group that will also say that they cheat like crazy in the NFL. Well you can state such drivel, but it doesn't really hold a lot of weight.

Be a fanboy, but if you think the NFL cheats, than admit it may have played in your favor as well...

Just to close...I think you are actually stating close to what I am saying in the above. Officials have certain biases built in...it's why teams like the Pats and the Legion of Boom used to get away with blatant holds. It's why Michael Irvin was the "King of the push off."

Also, Nate Silver had a piece this year on his 538 sight that points to home field advantage and one of the data analytics pointed to was the number of penalties called on the visitor vs the home team. That officials, like most humans, are not exactly searching out negative stimulus and because of that there is a certain built-in bias towards the home team having some advantages built in.

brothervad

Buzz
01-29-2019, 08:54 PM
Also, Nate Silver had a piece this year on his 538 sight that points to home field advantage and one of the data analytics pointed to was the number of penalties called on the visitor vs the home team. That officials, like most humans, are not exactly searching out negative stimulus and because of that there is a certain built-in bias towards the home team having some advantages built in.

brothervad

After reading that, I find it interesting that the biggest calls went AGAINST the home team in both the AFC and NFC Championship games.

Steel Maniac
01-30-2019, 11:01 AM
After reading that, I find it interesting that the biggest calls went AGAINST the home team in both the AFC and NFC Championship games.

Exactly..... how often has that happened in previous conference championship games? Not much.