PDA

View Full Version : You're Gonna Miss this QB when he's Gone

NorthCoast
12-21-2018, 04:32 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6yatEj1QYo

Steel Maniac
12-21-2018, 07:10 PM
Yeah they will; but they'll continue to blame all losses on him and no blame to a piss poor defense. That's what is going on around here now. People saying that Ben has to play perfect and if he doesn't, it's all his fault. :rolleyes: Absolving the defense that Tomlin has put togethter of any blame.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-21-2018, 08:09 PM
based on your subject, i thought for sure this video would play that stupid cups song and i avoided it all day... now that it didn't, i'm mildly disappointed that i couldn't be mad at you for posting it... BWAHAHAH

papillon
12-22-2018, 10:51 AM
I miss Troy Polamalu already but I'm really going to miss Ben, he plays an exciting style of football and makes it fun to watch. I really hope the Steelers hit with this kid Rudolph.

Pappy

Northern_Blitz
12-22-2018, 11:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6yatEj1QYo

This is definitely true.

He's not perfect, but he's by far the best QB this team has had in my lifetime and maybe the best we've ever had.

It's pretty rare to go from Favre to Rodgers or from Manning to Luck. Odds are that we'll be searching for our next franchise QB for a while after Ben retires.

Sugar
12-22-2018, 01:43 PM
https://youtu.be/Bi8fuHh9WO8

Normally, I'm not a big Cowherd fan but he seems to be all about Ben.

Buzz
12-22-2018, 01:46 PM
I'm starting to miss him already.

Captain Lemming
12-22-2018, 02:16 PM
Cowherd gets ratings by being a contrarian.
He knows that what he says stirs the pot.

He is "crediting" Ben for being in a better organization?

I love Ben....our best EVER in my view (over TB)
But Rogers is number on by a WIDE margin.
Bens number one because of rings?

Tell me who on that list does not have rings if given a top 5 defense as long as Ben had one?
And none on that list have ever had the collection of HOF caliber offensive players that Ben has had in recent years.

Receiver, runningback, oline.....1st team all pro talent at every level.
No QB in THE LEAGUE has had that quality surrounding cast........IN THEIR CAREERS!!!!

Consider this very real possibility.
If Ben were on the Chargers and Rivers fell to us......on what basis does anybody think Ben would have two rings to Rivers zero?

"Good Ben" is AMAZING. He can do what no QB in this league can do.
His number of perfect QB rating games is show what he can do.
What he did to Carolina? NOBODY INCLUDING BRADY is that level awesome when Ben is "on".
"Ben versus Luck" Ben outrageously good.

"That Ben" along with the wins is why he is wholly deserving of the hall.

But Ben is wildly inconsistent......beyond anybody. He just has too many "stinkers" for no good reason considering his weaponry.

In the end it winds up being a wild ride. I find it fun, not frustrating. This "is" just a game.
To despise a thrilling HOF QB for being inconsistent is stupid as is hating on a coach who's record is elite among his peers.

I have both "fear" and "hope" every week.

I truly enjoy this team.

D Rock
12-22-2018, 02:33 PM
I wont miss him as long as the next QB is at good as one of these guys:

Brees
Mahomes
Rivers
Wilson
Ryan
Watson
Wentz
Cousins
Goff
Luck
Brady
Rodgers
Prescott
Carr
Tannehill
Trubisky
Newton
Mayfield

There is a lot of high level QB play in the league now - that's the way the NFL is designed in 2018. They are all about on pace with Ben's volume-driven statistical performance.

Give me a young QB who is league average, just like Ben is, at a lower salary to save and spread money around to other positions, and I'll be plenty happy to see the team winning some Super Bowls.

Captain Lemming
12-22-2018, 03:03 PM
Yeah they will; but they'll continue to blame all losses on him and no blame to a piss poor defense. That's what is going on around here now. People saying that Ben has to play perfect and if he doesn't, it's all his fault. :rolleyes: Absolving the defense that Tomlin has put togethter of any blame.

I think the truth is somewhere in between.
For example blaming Ben for last seasons playoff loss and not the HORRID defense is outrageous. We have long agreed on that.
Ben made mistakes but did SO MUCH on offense that we should have destroyed those Jags.

However, Ben's nonchalant expressions about interceptions RIGHT AFTER a bad pick lost a game tells me he does bear responsibility many times.

The fact is that we know our secondary is subpar. We have elite offensive talent that can score with anybody.
Just as the defenve made up for offensive lapses when we won SBs (worst QB rating for a winning QB in history in 05/ scored less than 20 offensive points in all but one post season victory in 08), the offense WILL NEED to carry the load if we are going to make a run.

To give up on the season, means we give up on the offense, because we KNOW it "can" score with anybody.

Steel Maniac
12-22-2018, 06:29 PM
To give up on the season, means we give up on the offense, because we KNOW it "can" score with anybody.

It's a "team" game. Not just an "offense" game. We have a terrible defense. We are not going anywhere because you have to "stop" someone to win a championship. That's why they saying, " Defense wins championships" is often said.

NJ-STEELER
12-22-2018, 09:16 PM
Receiver, runningback, oline.....1st team all pro talent at every level.
No QB in THE LEAGUE has had that quality surrounding cast........IN THEIR CAREERS!!!!

Ben's best receivers have been drafted in the lower rounds. JuJU and J wash being the exception lately.
while giving the FO credit for finding them and the players themselves for becoming some of the best in the league. you certainly have to give ben some credit for their success. AB 6th rounder, bryant 4th rounder, Wallace 3rd rounder, hines 3rd rounder. sanonio being the only highly drafted Wideout. (not counting plax's 1 year with Ben)
Mike wallace's first 3 years here had stats comparable to jerry rice's first 3. since he left, he just an average WR.
the packers have consistently drafted WR's higher the the steelers for rodgers

there's no one on that list aside for brady for a few years that doesn't have talent. and even tom had ross for a bit and gronkowski in NE for his career. one of the biggest defensive mismatches the league has had

Steel Maniac
12-22-2018, 10:46 PM
It makes me feel real good to see how the Ravens future at qb position is so bleak. Lamar Jackson is awful; can’t read a defense at all and can’t paas. We just have to contend with Mayfield for the next decade or so.

KYPITTFAN
12-23-2018, 12:23 AM
I have been saying this all year. Ben with a decent defense and a better head coach has at least 3 more SB apperances.

flippy
12-23-2018, 09:00 AM
Should be easy to find a replacement that can lead the league in INTs.

flippy
12-23-2018, 09:21 AM

Brees
Mahomes
Rivers
Wilson
Ryan
Watson
Wentz
Cousins
Goff
Luck
Brady
Rodgers
Prescott
Carr
Tannehill
Trubisky
Newton
Mayfield

There is a lot of high level QB play in the league now - that's the way the NFL is designed in 2018. They are all about on pace with Ben's volume-driven statistical performance.

Give me a young QB who is league average, just like Ben is, at a lower salary to save and spread money around to other positions, and I'll be plenty happy to see the team winning some Super Bowls.

exactly. Over half the league has a decent QB nowadays. How hard will it be to replace the INT machine in the modern NFL built for QBs to be successful.

All the extraordinary capabilities of Ben no longer matter in the modern game like they used to 5-10 years ago.

Its a different game and you just need someone who is efficient and has a strong arm and you are golden.

NorthCoast
12-23-2018, 11:18 AM
exactly. Over half the league has a decent QB nowadays. How hard will it be to replace the INT machine in the modern NFL built for QBs to be successful.

All the extraordinary capabilities of Ben no longer matter in the modern game like they used to 5-10 years ago.

Its a different game and you just need someone who is efficient and has a strong arm and you are golden.
Roethlisberger's INT % is only a tick above his career average. His game hasn't changed. He is throwing a lot more passes and is on pace to break his own career high for attempts. The only reason why fans are noticing the INTs now is the defense has been unable to overcome the interceptions as they have done in the past.
Should he be more careful with passing? Of course. But it is likely they don't win as many games. Already posted elsewhere, if Roethlisberger attempts about 30 passes a game, the outcome is usually positive.

Furious
12-23-2018, 12:45 PM
Remember folks, Ben the early years was all about game management. He had a few "ballers" on the offensive side but the talent was on defense. Presuming Ben hangs it up this year, the heir apparent steps into an enviable position with this OL and all the skills position talent offensively. Our next QBs bar will be exceedingly high and the expectation is to produce immediately.

NJ-STEELER
12-24-2018, 10:47 PM

a few that list is a joke. tannehill? cousins? Scam Newton? prescott (lol)?
you're not winning **** with them. minny is loaded on both sides of the ball and doing worse then last year with cousins at QB

mostly all the rest were taken in the top 10 of the draft where's there's been plenty of busts thru the years. way too many to name. to say its easy to get one when cleveland has picked near the top and been through 30+ QBs since getting a team back is wishful thinking

as far as the INTs,
luck has 1 less
Scam Newton 2 less
golden boy mamhomes 4 less
golden boy #2 Goff 3 less

so while Ben is past his prime and likely almost done, let's not pretend its going to be easy finding a frachise QB replacement.
hopefully he's already on the roster but I'm certainly not banking on it

Steel Maniac
12-24-2018, 11:46 PM
What interceptions did he throw in New Orleans?

NorthCoast
12-25-2018, 09:49 AM
Remember folks, Ben the early years was all about game management. He had a few "ballers" on the offensive side but the talent was on defense. Presuming Ben hangs it up this year, the heir apparent steps into an enviable position with this OL and all the skills position talent offensively. Our next QBs bar will be exceedingly high and the expectation is to produce immediately.
Latest quote from Roethlisberger: " I have every intention of coming back and playing next year. " So those fans wanting a new QB can stow on it another season.

Ernie
12-25-2018, 10:10 AM
Sounds like a QB who knows he's going to be spending January on the couch.

What a disappointing season!!! Coming off of a devastating loss to the JAGS...and this team supposedly coming into the season with a chip on their shoulders... something to prove.... and it was all we could do to piss away the playoffs..

Well, I guess we beat New England anyways... lol

Steel Maniac
12-25-2018, 04:02 PM
Use beating New England was our super bowl. Mark Slerth said a few weeks ago that the Steelers are emotionally immature. And he is exactly right.

Shawn
12-25-2018, 04:59 PM
We should have sold the farm to land Mahomes.

Shawn
12-25-2018, 05:05 PM
I'm just here hoping the Steelers do whatever they have to do when Dwayne Haskins comes available.

NJ-STEELER
12-25-2018, 07:20 PM
Sounds like a QB who knows he's going to be spending January on the couch.

What a disappointing season!!! Coming off of a devastating loss to the JAGS...and this team supposedly coming into the season with a chip on their shoulders... something to prove.... and it was all we could do to piss away the playoffs..

Well, I guess we beat New England anyways... lol

isn't that all tomlin cares about?

from his interview last year on meeting the Pats a second time? totally overlooking the jags in the playoffs

Steel Maniac
12-25-2018, 07:25 PM
Yep... and notice the team played like that’s all they cared about. Team takes on the personality of the coach after a while.

Ernie
12-25-2018, 07:31 PM
yep... on their cell phones at half time.. If that ends up being true... he should be fired at the end of the year.

SteelCrazy
12-25-2018, 08:20 PM

Brees
Mahomes
Rivers
Wilson
Ryan
Watson
Wentz
Cousins
Goff
Luck
Brady
Rodgers
Prescott
Carr
Tannehill
Trubisky
Newton
Mayfield

League average? You're high

D Rock
12-26-2018, 12:56 AM
League average? You're high

Prove me wrong

RuthlessBurgher
12-28-2018, 03:14 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Ben Roethlisberger is 10-0 as a starter in Week 17, the most wins without a loss in a single week by any starting QB in the Super Bowl era, according to ESPN Stats and Information. Roger Staubach, Joe Montana and Joe Flacco have nine wins apiece.

35m

NorthCoast
12-30-2018, 01:33 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Ben Roethlisberger is 10-0 as a starter in Week 17, the most wins without a loss in a single week by any starting QB in the Super Bowl era, according to ESPN Stats and Information. Roger Staubach, Joe Montana and Joe Flacco have nine wins apiece.

35mHe may need some of that magic today with AB possibly out, Conner dinged up, and JuJu nursing his mojo.

Steel Maniac
12-30-2018, 01:41 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

35m

That’s a great and comforting stat; too bad our fate is more tied to The Browns qb then to Ben. What’s Mayfield stat in week 17 games? Lol

RuthlessBurgher
12-30-2018, 01:50 PM
That’s a great and comforting stat; too bad our fate is more tied to The Browns qb then to Ben. What’s Mayfield stat in week 17 games? Lol

The same as Lamar Jackson's.

NorthCoast
12-30-2018, 01:51 PM
There is genuine local media excitement for the Browns for the first time in over a decade. Arrows are pointing up on both sides of the ball. People are lining up to get on the BM bus.
Question is whether they will screw things up in the off season with yet more coaching changes.

Steel Maniac
12-30-2018, 02:15 PM
The same as Lamar Jackson's.

Which Qb has the better defense with them Ruth? Lol

RuthlessBurgher
12-30-2018, 02:15 PM
It's odd that Steeler fans seem to be giving the Browns little to no chance to beat the Ravens today.

Last year, the 9-6 Ravens were in the exact same "win and you're in" week 17 scenario, and they blew it against the 6-9 Bengals who had literally nothing to play for.

This year, the 9-6 Ravens are playing the 7-7-1 Browns who will be trying their hardest to follow up the 0-16 debacle with a winning season.

Yeah, Baltimore is currently one of the hottest teams in the league right now with a 5-1 record in their last 6 games. But guess who else has a 5-1 record in their last 6 games? Cleveland.

Baker Mayfield has been playing at a near MVP level over the last month and a half or so, while Baltimore is running the ball 2/3 of the time since Lamar Jackson has been under center, which is unheard of in an era where a 50-50 run-pass split is odd.

In the battle of rookie QB's, I'd put my money on the Baker Mayfield-Freddie Kitchens creativity over the antiquated 1950's era Ravens offense.

Steel Maniac
12-30-2018, 02:21 PM
Uh.. this isn’t last year. And it’s not just about the QBs. It never is. Ravens have the best defense. And special teams. And their at home. I think the Ravens win.

Steel Maniac
12-30-2018, 02:29 PM
It's odd that Steeler fans seem to be giving the Browns little to no chance to beat the Ravens today.

Last year, the 9-6 Ravens were in the exact same "win and you're in" week 17 scenario, and they blew it against the 6-9 Bengals who had literally nothing to play for.

This year, the 9-6 Ravens are playing the 7-7-1 Browns who will be trying their hardest to follow up the 0-16 debacle with a winning season.

Yeah, Baltimore is currently one of the hottest teams in the league right now with a 5-1 record in their last 6 games. But guess who else has a 5-1 record in their last 6 games? Cleveland.

Baker Mayfield has been playing at a near MVP level over the last month and a half or so, while Baltimore is running the ball 2/3 of the time since Lamar Jackson has been under center, which is unheard of in an era where a 50-50 run-pass split is odd.

In the battle of rookie QB's, I'd put my money on the Baker Mayfield-Freddie Kitchens creativity over the antiquated 1950's era Ravens offense.

I had to preserve this quote.
Ravens have the statistical best defense in the league but it’s all about the QBs match up? Lmfao.

RuthlessBurgher
12-30-2018, 02:34 PM
Which Qb has the better defense with them Ruth? Lol

The Baltimore defense is certainly top notch, but Cleveland is no slouch either, and Gregg Williams has his aggressive tendencies all over that side of the ball, with half a year as their D.C. and the other half of the year as their H.C.

I would normally be worried that Cleveland is without their top CB in Denzel Ward, but Baltimore passes the ball so infrequently compared to a typical 2018 NFL team, it shouldn't be the huge deal it might otherwise have been.

The Browns still have quality players at all 3 levels of their defense with Garrett, Ogunjobi, and Ogbah on the DL, Schobert and Collins at LB, and Peppers and Randall at safety.

Steel Maniac
12-30-2018, 03:31 PM
Ravens are better in every facet except qb; including coaching. And their at home with everything to play for. No realistic reason to believe the Ravens will lose today.

RuthlessBurgher
12-30-2018, 03:56 PM
Ravens are better in every facet except qb; including coaching. And their at home with everything to play for. No realistic reason to believe the Ravens will lose today.

The 9-6 Ravens were better in every facet including QB in week 17 last year, but lost to the 6-9 Bengals and missed the playoffs entirely when all they had to do was win to get in.

Same exact situation last year, and the Ravens blew it. And the 2018 Browns (7-7-1 with a young hungry rookie QB trying to follow up a winless year with a winning record) are a more difficult opponent than the 2017 Bengals (6-9 and just playing out the string) were.

Ernie
12-30-2018, 04:02 PM
Hey im with you Ruth.. and hoping like hell you are right. Cleveland is a good football team.

Steel Maniac
12-30-2018, 04:46 PM
The 9-6 Ravens were better in every facet including QB in week 17 last year, but lost to the 6-9 Bengals and missed the playoffs entirely when all they had to do was win to get in.

Same exact situation last year, and the Ravens blew it. And the 2018 Browns (7-7-1 with a young hungry rookie QB trying to follow up a winless year with a winning record) are a more difficult opponent than the 2017 Bengals (6-9 and just playing out the string) were.

Okay.... I’ll see you after the game Ruth. Lol. We’ll see who’s right between you and I.

NorthCoast
12-30-2018, 07:24 PM

That same HC that hasn't sniffed the playoffs in the last 3 years and won 1 in the last five?!? This is a joke right?

steelz09
12-30-2018, 07:29 PM
That same HC that hasn't sniffed the playoffs in the last 3 years and won 1 in the last five?!? This is a joke right?

If I had to pick between Harbaugh or Tomlin, I would pick Harbaugh. Maybe not.. Preferably, I wouldn't take either.

Moonie
12-30-2018, 07:30 PM
Anyone worried that this is Roethlisberger's last game?

steelz09
12-30-2018, 08:21 PM

No. But I think he might retire if Tomlin is fired. God forbid he have to suffer thru a new HC.

pittpete
12-30-2018, 08:47 PM
Ben isnt giving back all that $$$$$ and retiring..

Buzz
12-30-2018, 08:52 PM

It might be time he does, time for a change in leadership. Use that money to build a better team.

Moonie
12-30-2018, 08:56 PM

He's never seemed to have Bell's lust for money. I don't think it's a huge motivation for him now.

I'm worried he's looking at this team and wondering whether its worth another season with some of the idiots on the defensive side of things.

Steel Maniac
12-30-2018, 09:01 PM

So what were you telling me about the Browns wining that game Ruth??????????

NorthCoast
12-30-2018, 09:49 PM
He's already on record as saying he has every intention of returning next season.
Steelers need to return to a more balanced offense. It will help both Roethlisberger and the offense.

Moonie
12-30-2018, 10:03 PM
He's already on record as saying he has every intention of returning next season.
Steelers need to return to a more balanced offense. It will help both Roethlisberger and the offense.

You don't sound worried at all that we have see Ben's last game. None of yinz do. I remain worried.

Steel Maniac
12-30-2018, 10:23 PM
Well, remember during the radio show before the season, Ben was clearly frustrated with the behavior of the team and lack of discipline. With this year’s flame out, coupled with guys on cell phones and stuff , I can’t wait to hear how Big Ben feels now.