PDA

View Full Version : Can the Steelers beat the Saints?

Chucktownsteeler
12-19-2018, 12:05 PM
Yes, earlier in the year the Saints looked like world beaters but recently they have down to earth. I don't usually watch MNF but I was on the road and flipped in on in my hotel room, they were playing the Panthers.

My thoughts:

1.) The Panthers have a physical defense and did everything possible to keep them in the game.
2.) Cam Newton is a quitter and is either hurt or he sucks (maybe both).
3.) The Saints were in a physical game, have a short week to practice (and were on the east coast).
4.) The Saints were down to 5 offensive lineman and are looking at the waiver wire to add at least (2) more.
5.) The Saints have all but locked up the #1 seed and finish the year against the Panthers (at home).
6.) Cam Newton is a quitter and is either hurt or he sucks (maybe both).
7.) The Saints have a monster back-up QB (#7) and we'll need to keep an eye on him when he's in the game.

Maybe we have a chance?????

Disco1981
12-19-2018, 12:21 PM
Yes, earlier in the year the Saints looked like world beaters but recently they have down to earth. I don't usually watch MNF but I was on the road and flipped in on in my hotel room, they were playing the Panthers.

My thoughts:

1.) The Panthers have a physical defense and did everything possible to keep them in the game.
2.) Cam Newton is a quitter and is either hurt or he sucks (maybe both).
3.) The Saints were in a physical game, have a short week to practice (and were on the east coast).
4.) The Saints were down to 5 offensive lineman and are looking at the waiver wire to add at least (2) more.
5.) The Saints have all but locked up the #1 seed and finish the year against the Panthers (at home).
6.) Cam Newton is a quitter and is either hurt or he sucks (maybe both).
7.) The Saints have a monster back-up QB (#7) and we'll need to keep an eye on him when he's in the game.

Maybe we have a chance?????

Hell ya we have a chance...A good one!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-19-2018, 12:23 PM
Can this team win? That's an easy one...yes. The Steelers have been in every game they've played this year. The worst games were against KC (down 14 after KC TD with 13:00 to go, lost by 5) and Baltimore (fell behind 14, tied up at the half, outscored 12-0 in second half on 4 FGs).

This team can compete with any team in the league. The big question is whether or not they can play well and then close the deal. Last year the challenge was falling behind early and then hoping that the furious comeback would result in victory. This year they go toe-to-toe for three quarters and then hope to hang on.

RuthlessBurgher
12-19-2018, 12:42 PM
Again, this Steeler team is capable of beating any team in the league if we play our game in an efficient manner where every man is just focusing on doing their own job and beating the man in front of him.

Also, this Steeler team is capable of losing to any team in the league if we hemorrhage turnovers, let the opposing offense march up and down the field at will, or miss multiple FG attempts wide right.

It almost doesn't matter what team shows up on the opposing sideline to play against us. The games tend to be decided on the basis of which Steeler team decides to show up on the other sideline.

Captain Lemming
12-19-2018, 12:46 PM
Again, this Steeler team is capable of beating any team in the league if we play our game in an efficient manner where every man is just focusing on doing their own job and beating the man in front of him.

Also, this Steeler team is capable of losing to any team in the league if we hemorrhage turnovers, let the opposing offense march up and down the field at will, or miss multiple FG attempts wide right.

It almost doesn't matter what team shows up on the opposing sideline to play against us. The games tend to be decided on the basis of which Steeler team decides to show up on the other sideline.

Spot on post Ruthless

Steel Maniac
12-19-2018, 02:21 PM
"Can the Steelers beat the Saints?" Oh yeah..anything is possible.

But there is a difference of , " Can the Steelers beat the Saints" from " Will the Steelers beat the Saints."

pittpete
12-19-2018, 03:42 PM
With a solid gameplan i think we've proven we can beat any NFL team

The Man of Steel
12-19-2018, 04:23 PM
"Can the Steelers beat the Saints?" Oh yeah..anything is possible.

But there is a difference of , " Can the Steelers beat the Saints" from " Will the Steelers beat the Saints."
Where is that guy who guaranteed a victory over the Patriots? I have faith in him if he says that the Steelers will beat the Saints.

Buzz
12-19-2018, 04:26 PM
Where is that guy who guaranteed a victory over the Patriots? I have faith in him if he says that the Steelers will beat the Saints.

so far he's silent on the Saints game

Oviedo
12-19-2018, 04:27 PM
Yes...

Why ask?

RuthlessBurgher
12-19-2018, 04:50 PM
so far he's silent on the Saints game

Silent Night, Holy Sh...ahem, uh, nevermind. ;)

pittpete
12-19-2018, 06:05 PM
Yes...

Why ask?

Because its a message board and people usually talk about these types of things:idea:

SidSmythe
12-19-2018, 06:29 PM
I think any team can beat any team in the League -
the Browns of last year could have beaten the Eagles - it might have taken them 10 tries but they could have.

williar
12-19-2018, 08:49 PM
the Browns of last year could have beaten the Eagles - it might have taken them 10 tries but they could have. Agreed! There are no sure-fire teams! Nobody that I am afraid of. If the "good" Steelers show up and Ben takes care of the football, we should have a chance.

Starlifter
12-19-2018, 10:06 PM
the great thing about the NFL is - who the hell knows???

Of course the steelers can win. Of course the saints can win. It could be a close game. It could be a blowout. For all the things the NFL does that make me crazy - one thing they really got right was a system where every team (if it's well managed and coached) has a chance every year.

I think the steelers know what's at stake - and while many believe Tomlin teams play down to the competition, it's also true that his steelers typically play way up for teams that are considered elite.

So my guess is the Steelers win this. I think the O-line issues for the saints will lead to massive pressure on Brees. that should help our secondary. Their defense is very good - but of course, so is our offense.

24-21 Steelers.

fordfixer
12-19-2018, 10:19 PM
Steelers 5 Saints 3

Buzz
12-19-2018, 10:45 PM
Steelers 5 Saints 3

What??? Not 2-0???!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
12-20-2018, 01:15 AM
the Browns of last year could have beaten the Eagles - it might have taken them 10 tries but they could have.

"Great moments are born from great opportunity, and that's what you have here tonight, boys. That's what you've earned here tonight. One game; if we played them ten times, they might win nine. But not this game, not tonight."

flippy
12-20-2018, 07:21 AM
No chance in H-E-Double Hockey Stick!!!

These bozos just won their SuperBowl against NE. Now is time for a long off season vacation. I think some of our guys are already in Disney World this week. (If not physically, mentally)

Steel Maniac
12-20-2018, 10:59 AM

He's smart; He's not going to make that prediction this week because He knows that we are not playing a team this week with a declining QB, declining TE and a defense that can't stop the run. LOL.

papillon
12-20-2018, 11:00 AM
Agreed! There are no sure-fire teams! Nobody that I am afraid of. If the "good" Steelers show up and Ben takes care of the football, we should have a chance.

When Ben takes care of the football the good Steelers almost always show up, I wish Ben would realize this fact for the rest of his career. The Steelers are only as good as Ben plays, they may win a game where he turns it over multiple times (New England) but by and large that is not the case. Ball security should be placed above all else with this team, while the defense has shown signs throughout the year of being capable, they have also shown signs of being a sieve, a punt should be looked upon as a positive play. I'd rather punt it, than Ben throw an INT at mid-field or worse.

Pappy

Steel Maniac
12-20-2018, 11:06 AM
When Ben takes care of the football the good Steelers almost always show up, I wish Ben would realize this fact for the rest of his career. The Steelers are only as good as Ben plays, they may win a game where he turns it over multiple times (New England) but by and large that is not the case. Ball security should be placed above all else with this team, while the defense has shown signs throughout the year of being capable, they have also shown signs of being a sieve, a punt should be looked upon as a positive play. I'd rather punt it, than Ben throw an INT at mid-field or worse.

Pappy

Good Ben showed up against the Chiefs this year. How'd that turn out? This team will go as the defense goes. By and large, Ben has played fine this year. He's had a couple of bad games but so has just about every QB.

We go as the defense goes; period. Finding any other reason to blame our losses on stuff is reaching.

Drew Brees threw two interceptions on Monday nite; One interception was returned for 2 points. But did they win? Yeah. Cause the defense played. No QB is perfect all 16 games. Especially with the amount of passes he's throwing this year. We do need to do better in our run/pass ratio.

Sword
12-20-2018, 11:15 AM
I have faith that we will win!!!

raycafan
12-20-2018, 11:17 AM
For me, the Steelers need to have the same game playn they had against Ravens 2, but get in the zone more. They controlled the ball, and that let the defense get after it for the downs they were in. If the Steeler offense can control the ball, take the crowd out of it , then they should win this game. Like many have said its which Steeler team wants to show up, the Good, the Bad or the Ugly team.

Steel Maniac
12-20-2018, 11:19 AM
For me, the Steelers need to have the same game playn they had against Ravens 2, but get in the zone more. They controlled the ball, and that let the defense get after it for the downs they were in. If the Steeler offense can control the ball, take the crowd out of it , then they should win this game. Like many have said its which Steeler team wants to show up, the Good, the Bad or the Ugly team.

I don't really think that's going to matter in this particular game. The Saints are just a better team then us in all phases. This is the time of year when all that "any team on any Sunday " stuff goes out the window. Better teams with the better QB's win more times then not.

Chucktownsteeler
12-20-2018, 11:56 AM
Looks like the Panthers are shutting Cam Newton down for the season, shoulder issues. Who knows what his future holds. I know he did look terrible on Monday night.

williar
12-20-2018, 12:15 PM
Looks like the Panthers are shutting Cam Newton down for the season, shoulder issues. Who knows what his future holds. I know he did look terrible on Monday night. Newton is a very good QB! He carried that team and they were looking like front runners for a while until they ran up on the Steelers. For real - Newton has taken a lot of hits, it's no wonder something came unhinged! Sometimes these guys just need to heal-up properly. It looks like it worked for Andrew Luck.

Chucktownsteeler
12-20-2018, 12:22 PM
Funny thing, statistically he was having one of his best seasons. I could tell something was wrong Monday night, he couldn't throw the ball very well at all.

It was a shame the Panther's defense played stellar. Stellar.

rpmpit
12-20-2018, 01:40 PM

This!! Like I said in another post, we'll blow out the Saints and struggle against the Bengals. Mark it down!

Sugar
12-20-2018, 03:06 PM
This!! Like I said in another post, we'll blow out the Saints and struggle against the Bengals. Mark it down!
It would make sense that we would be winless against the AFCW, unbeaten in the NFCS and split the AFCN.

Steel Maniac
12-20-2018, 03:24 PM
Newton is a very good QB! He carried that team and they were looking like front runners for a while until they ran up on the Steelers. For real - Newton has taken a lot of hits, it's no wonder something came unhinged! Sometimes these guys just need to heal-up properly. It looks like it worked for Andrew Luck.

Yep....Like Luck; Luck got injured in that shoulder and it took a year to heal up and get right.

papillon
12-20-2018, 03:56 PM
Good Ben showed up against the Chiefs this year. How'd that turn out? This team will go as the defense goes. By and large, Ben has played fine this year. He's had a couple of bad games but so has just about every QB.

We go as the defense goes; period. Finding any other reason to blame our losses on stuff is reaching.

Drew Brees threw two interceptions on Monday nite; One interception was returned for 2 points. But did they win? Yeah. Cause the defense played. No QB is perfect all 16 games. Especially with the amount of passes he's throwing this year. We do need to do better in our run/pass ratio.

Ben can make up for lapses in defense (save for the Kc game), unfortunately, Ben needs to be nearly perfect because the defense isn't going to play like they did this past week every weekend. Ben is turning it over at a high rate this year and I agree with you that overall Ben is having a very good year. Ball security is going to be critical to the Steelers success, the less opportunities the opponent gets the better it will be for the Steelers. Don't give them any more possessions than they earn by stopping the offense (which is rare).

I'm looking forward to Sunday's game to see how the defense responds after having a good game. The NO defense is ranked right around the Jags in scoring defense so they will be a stout test for the offense, special teams might decide this one.

Pappy

Captain Lemming
12-20-2018, 05:06 PM
special teams might decide this one.

Pappy

Oh great .....way to kill all hope Mr Butterfly!!!!!! :(

Steelwolf
12-20-2018, 06:05 PM
Welp juju left practice today with a groin injury

fordfixer
12-20-2018, 10:03 PM
What??? Not 2-0???!!!!
Same score I picked last week for the *’s game that worked out okay. :D

Steel Maniac
12-21-2018, 11:28 AM
Same score I picked last week for the *’s game that worked out okay. :D

Good; I'm glad you've gone on record again.

Steel Maniac
12-21-2018, 11:29 AM
Ben can make up for lapses in defense (save for the Kc game), unfortunately, Ben needs to be nearly perfect because the defense isn't going to play like they did this past week every weekend. Ben is turning it over at a high rate this year and I agree with you that overall Ben is having a very good year. Ball security is going to be critical to the Steelers success, the less opportunities the opponent gets the better it will be for the Steelers. Don't give them any more possessions than they earn by stopping the offense (which is rare).

I'm looking forward to Sunday's game to see how the defense responds after having a good game. The NO defense is ranked right around the Jags in scoring defense so they will be a stout test for the offense, special teams might decide this one.

Pappy

I'm not looking forward to this game. As a matter of fact, I come into this game with great dread. I"m already looking ahead to the Bengals game which we should win. I don't see a victory for us in New Orleans. The tea leafs are all wrong for us to get a victory in Saintsville.

31-20 final score.

Captain Lemming
12-21-2018, 01:03 PM
I'm not looking forward to this game. As a matter of fact, I come into this game with great dread. I"m already looking ahead to the Bengals game which we should win. I don't see a victory for us in New Orleans. The tea leafs are all wrong for us to get a victory in Saintsville.

31-20 final score.

I feel similar.
There was a reason that I had a good feeling last week.

Not feeling it at all. Gotta beat the Bengals.

Steelgal
12-23-2018, 07:07 PM
apparently they need to beat the Saints AND the zebras...….

brothervad
12-23-2018, 07:26 PM
The Steelers unholy trinity on defense

Coaching, Scheme, Talent

Not a real good mix when your back as against the wall

brothervad

brothervad
12-23-2018, 07:36 PM
Ben is doing all he can right now. Just need the D to keep them out of the EZ. If we are within 6 late in the game I like the Steelers chances.

But only if the Steelers have the ball at the end. We saw how our vaunted D stand small with 40 seconds remaining at halftime.

Sigh...

brothervad
12-23-2018, 08:21 PM
Ben you can't take a sack there...

Man this team is it's own worst enemy.

Fake punt is an indication that Tomlin has little faith his D can hold. IMO.

Better to have Ben out there on 4th and 5 than a punter and get all cutesy also IMHO>

brothervad

Eich
12-23-2018, 08:53 PM
Yes. They can beat the Saints. Just can’t beat the Saints + officials + Tomlin

NorthCoast
12-23-2018, 08:54 PM
Tough thing for Juju after the great season he's had; lost not on him though.

Buzz
12-23-2018, 08:57 PM
Yes. They can beat the Saints. Just can’t beat the Saints + officials + Tomlin
Truth

Tomlin's had a great ride. I'm ready for a change. I don't think this team ever gets to the Super Bowl again with him as HC.

But the Rooneys will never fire him.

SteelBucks
12-23-2018, 08:59 PM
Truth

Tomlin's had a great ride. I'm ready for a change. I don't think this team ever gets to the Super Bowl again with him as HC.

I think Tomlin is trying to prove how untouchable he is. This crap cannot continue.

Sword
12-23-2018, 09:17 PM
Not when the zebras want the Saints to win.... fix is in

winwithd
12-23-2018, 09:35 PM
I think the answer is Yes, we can. We just did not do it tonight. We really hurt ourselves tonight. Hopefully we get the chance on a neutral field to end the season.

Steel Maniac
12-23-2018, 10:08 PM
Tough thing for Juju after the great season he's had; lost not on him though.

I feel real bad for him. He’s gonna feel that he cost us the game.

Steel Maniac
12-23-2018, 10:11 PM
Truth

Oh.. were not going to win any super bowl again with Tomlin. You just have to sit back and enjoy this ride for what it is and getbout the car when it’s about to crash into the wall again. I got out the car with the raider loss for this year. You knew right then we were going to crash and burn again with Tomlin driving the car. Lol

pittpete
12-23-2018, 10:29 PM
I feel real bad for him. He’s gonna feel that he cost us the game.
In all honesty, he did..
I think JuJu is great and theres no reason he should dwell on it.
He's the real deal unlike that 2nd round luxury pick this year:(

Ernie
12-23-2018, 10:32 PM
I haven't written Washington off yet. He showed me enough last week to give me hope.

pittpete
12-23-2018, 10:39 PM
Didnt write him off but with the needs on defense with player depth he was a luxury pick IMO

Ernie
12-23-2018, 10:41 PM
We thought that about Juju last year also...and we saw how that turned out.

NorthCoast
12-23-2018, 10:45 PM
I haven't written Washington off yet. He showed me enough last week to give me hope.

I may be wrong but I thought Washington was known for his speed? He is the slowest looking speedy WR the Steelers have.

Captain Lemming
12-23-2018, 11:06 PM
I may be wrong but I thought Washington was known for his speed? He is the slowest looking speedy WR the Steelers have.

No his times are unimpressive.
He was reputed to be a weird combination of, short, stocky, not all that fast DEEP THREAT in college.
Supposed to have an end of route “burst” that was “deceptive”.

”Deceptive speed” means.....not “really” fast to me.

I have wanted to suggest the following.
I really think Ben is used to deep burners, not a deceptive burst, which is why they have timing problems.

I wish they stop trying to make him be Mike Wallace or Martavis, and get him more involved in a Switzer type game.
I think his physical attributes are much more suited for that type of game at the NFL level.

Steel Maniac
12-23-2018, 11:13 PM
Didnt write him off but with the needs on defense with player depth he was a luxury pick IMO

Yep..........

Steel Maniac
12-23-2018, 11:15 PM
No his times are unimpressive.
He was reputed to be a weird combination of, short, stocky, not all that fast DEEP THREAT in college.
Supposed to have an end of route “burst” that was “deceptive”.

”Deceptive speed” means.....not “really” fast to me.

I have wanted to suggest the following.
I really think Ben is used to deep burners, not a deceptive burst, which is why they have timing problems.

I wish they stop trying to make him be Mike Wallace or Martavis, and get him more involved in a Switzer type game.
I think his physical attributes are much more suited for that type of game at the NFL level. after watching him all year I totally agree with your assessment. That type of physicality he has would be nice coming out the slot.

Buzz
12-23-2018, 11:34 PM

He sure didn't step up when we needed him to and he had single coverage late in the game

Captain Lemming
12-24-2018, 12:00 AM

We still have a weak defense? :)

Seriously......the success of Juju made receiver EVEN LESS of a priority. Sure nit would be nice to have pro bowl receivers on our bench, but how bout an above average corner (heck I’d take average) opposite Haden?

pittpete
12-24-2018, 01:11 AM
We already had 2 stud wideouts Ernie, did we have to take another one?

pittpete
12-24-2018, 01:13 AM
Also agree that Washington at times looks like he isnt even running full speed.
Can he really be that slow or is he just hesitant?

Steel Maniac
12-24-2018, 02:25 AM

31-20 final score.

Chucktownsteeler
12-24-2018, 02:28 AM
Also agree that Washington at times looks like he isnt even running full speed.
Can he really be that slow or is he just hesitant?

I hope I'm wrong but I'm starting to think he has nothing from the neck up.

NJ-STEELER
08-06-2023, 01:32 AM
Newton is a very good QB! He carried that team and they were looking like front runners for a while until they ran up on the Steelers. For real - Newton has taken a lot of hits, it's no wonder something came unhinged! Sometimes these guys just need to heal-up properly. It looks like it worked for Andrew Luck.

annnnnndddd a cam newton fan ????

UN friggin canny

lmao

Shawn
08-06-2023, 11:27 AM
Why are you chasing down 5 year old posts of Willar?

feltdizz
08-06-2023, 12:02 PM

Because he is an idiot who thinks I’m Williar, Steelerhere and anyone else who may have been critical of Ben and liked other Steelers.

I’m crying at the time spent digging up post of other people that ain’t me. Maybe he has the same IT guy as Steel Maniac.

Shawn
08-06-2023, 12:08 PM
Because he is an idiot who thinks I’m Williar, Steelerhere and anyone else who may have been critical of Ben and liked other Steelers.

I’m crying at the time spent digging up post of other people that ain’t me. Maybe he has the same IT guy as Steel Maniac.
It’s common knowledge that you are Williar, Joel and whisper. Drop the charade and embrace the fullness of your multi-personality disorder.

feltdizz
08-06-2023, 12:26 PM
It’s common knowledge that you are Williar, Joel and whisper. Drop the charade and embrace the fullness of your multi-personality disorder.

I am…

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AfraidUniqueAsiaticlesserfreshwaterclam-max-1mb.gif

NJ-STEELER
08-06-2023, 12:41 PM

I had a bookmark on a topic. Got a new line for the dog too.

From Mr positive patty.
proving one again the hypocrite he is.
cant complain about anything on tomlin but we see what the farking b!tch is like when complaining about other players.

then I saw will I are ( Williar) and clicked his posts.

isn’t it uncanny at how many similarities there are
lmao.
a poster already known for having an Alias

dude is a f**king b*tch.
already banned once before and still can’t take a hint.

NJ-STEELER
08-06-2023, 12:43 PM

smoke some more jack ass

oh looky here. Sees how I foolzz them muttafukkazz

retard

feltdizz
08-06-2023, 01:23 PM
smoke some more jack ass

oh looky here. Sees how I foolzz them muttafukkazz

retard

almost embarrassed for you.

keep making a fool of yourself.

NJ-STEELER
08-06-2023, 01:50 PM
almost embarrassed for you.

keep making a fool of yourself.

lol. Coming from the biggest fool on all these Steeler boards.

you’re a bitch. Banned here and come back with an Alias. Likely multiple ones.

grow some balls and save some face and leave. There’s plenty of other boards.
You can register as Stu Pidfuk on a new board

feltdizz
08-06-2023, 02:40 PM
lmao at the internet tough guy act.

what next, threaten to put the smack down rhe next time I sneak into dirty jersey?

Buzz
08-06-2023, 08:09 PM
Sorta the silly season on this board

Just gotta hang on another month or so

NJ-STEELER
08-07-2023, 03:53 AM

what next, threaten to put the smack down rhe next time I sneak into dirty jersey?

fixed that for ya
lmao

Joel Buchsbaum
08-07-2023, 07:25 AM
lol. Coming from the biggest fool on all these Steeler boards.

you’re a bitch. Banned here and come back with an Alias. Likely multiple ones.

grow some balls and save some face and leave. There’s plenty of other boards.
You can register as Stu Pidfuk on a new board

Dizz was banned here? I joined in Jan 2021. Over 2 year ago. This must be part of his history. FeltDizz if this is untrue say so. Otherwise I am not fans of flame starters with other posters and banned people / Alts. You obviously did something wrong to get banned. Your silence on this topic will tell me everything.

Shawn
08-07-2023, 02:21 PM
Dizz was banned here? I joined in Jan 2021. Over 2 year ago. This must be part of his history. FeltDizz if this is untrue say so. Otherwise I am not fans of flame starters with other posters and banned people / Alts. You obviously did something wrong to get banned. Your silence on this topic will tell me everything. Its true. I banned him for shathatchery, and douchebaggery. He is now a reformed member of our congregation. Just kidding Im not a mod but play one on TV. I have no idea if he was banned. But I do remember a time awhile back when it was calmer and filled less with KP fandom. So it might be true.

SteelerOfDeVille
08-07-2023, 03:01 PM

you know that him and Maniac are the same person anyway, right?

MY IT guy told me so

feltdizz
08-07-2023, 03:41 PM

MY IT guy told me so

I think we all have the same IT guy. He always says yup to any question I ask about 2 people being the same person. ;)

hawaiiansteel
08-07-2023, 11:49 PM

MY IT guy told me so

I think my IT guy and your IT guy are the same person and live within 20 miles of each other. :p