PDA

View Full Version : Black and Gold vs. a different shade of Black and Gold

RuthlessBurgher
12-18-2018, 03:12 PM
Mike Tomlin hopes for “productive Wednesday” for James Conner

Posted by Josh Alper on December 18, 2018, 2:08 PM EST

Steelers running back James Conner practiced for the first time in two weeks last Friday, but he ultimately missed his second straight game with an ankle injury.

While that return to practice was a sign of progress, it’s not enough for the team to make firm plans about Conner’s return to action against the Saints this week. Head coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday that Conner was in the facility getting treatment and that the team was looking forward to another positive step on the field Wednesday.

“Hopefully that sets the stage for a productive Wednesday and we’ll go on from there,” Tomlin said, via PennLive.com. “And we’ll let the amount of work that he’s able to do and the effectiveness of that work be our guide. And we’ll make those decisions at the appropriate time as we push toward game time.”

Conner’s absence didn’t stop the Steelers from beating the Patriots as rookie running back Jaylen Samuels stepped up with 172 yards of offense. The next couple of days will provide some hints about whether he’ll have Conner’s company against the league’s stingiest run defense.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/18/mike-tomlin-hopes-for-productive-wednesday-for-james-conner/

RuthlessBurgher
12-18-2018, 03:13 PM
Saints were down to last healthy offensive linemen

Posted by Darin Gantt on December 18, 2018, 6:29 AM EST

The Saints generally activate seven offensive linemen each week, which can make the margin thin if injuries pop up.

They did last night, which means they finished the game with no one in reserve, and thinner than they’ve been.

Via Luke Johnson of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, backup left tackle Jermon Bushrod left last night’s game against the Panthers with an undisclosed injury, and center Max Unger didn’t return after being checked for a concussion. They were already without left tackle Terron Amrstead, forcing them to scramble a bit. Unger missed the entire second half, while Bushrod was injured on the failed two-point conversion which was picked off and returned by Panthers cornerback Donte Jackson.

Seventh-round rookie Will Clapp came in at left guard while Andrus Peat slid out to tackle, while 2017 undrafted rookie Camerom Tom replaced Unger in the middle on the road.

“I felt like they stepped in and did a great job,” Saints quarterback Drew Brees said. “That’s a tough situation.”

It’s be much tougher when the competition improves in the playoffs, though the Panthers defensive was doing its defend-the-Alamo best (sacking Drew Brees twice and limiting him to 203 passing yards and an interception).

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/18/saints-were-down-to-last-healthy-offensive-linemen/

RuthlessBurgher
12-18-2018, 03:14 PM
Saints working out offensive linemen today

Posted by Darin Gantt on December 18, 2018, 12:48 PM EST

We mentioned this morning that the Saints were down to their last healthy offensive linemen last night.

They’re doing things today in search of depth.

According to Josh Katzenstein of the New Orleans Times-Picayune, the Saints are working out a group of blockers today after finishing with the bare minimum last night against the Panthers.

Included in that group is offensive tackle Nick Becton, who was in camp with them in 2014 and 2015.

When center Max Unger left after suffering a concussion and replacement left tackle Jermon Bushrod was sidelined with a hamstring injury, the Saints used both their active backups (Cameron Tom and Will Clapp). They were already without left tackle Terron Armstead, as they have been the last five games.

The condition of Unger and Bushrod will determine whether they need to make a roster moves, and they’re apparently doing their legwork in advance of that.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/18/saints-working-out-offensive-linemen-today/

Oviedo
12-18-2018, 04:31 PM
Could be the difference we need. Defense could feast on back ups and force Brees into mistakes

RuthlessBurgher
12-18-2018, 05:12 PM
Eli Apple says the Saints are bringing out the best in him

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 18, 2018, 4:04 PM EST

After the Giants selected him with the 10th overall pick in the 2016 NFL draft, cornerback Eli Apple was a disappointment, and this year the Giants had finally had enough and traded him to New Orleans. Now Apple is showing that a fresh start was what he needed.

Apple has started eight games for the Saints and already has more interceptions as a Saint than he had in two and a half years as a Giant — including a big interception in Monday night’s win over the Panthers. Apple thinks he’s in the right place.

“My teammates, they’re bringing out the best in me. They push me every day, especially Coach AG [secondary coach Aaron Glenn] and the whole defensive staff,” Apple said, via ESPN. “Every week, it’s just understanding the defense, understanding how my teammates play and just playing with more confidence.”

The Saints gave up a 2019 third-round draft pick and a 2020 seventh-round draft pick to get Apple, who is just 23 years old and showing off some of the talent that made him a Top 10 pick.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/18/eli-apple-says-the-saints-are-bringing-out-the-best-in-him/

flippy
12-18-2018, 05:20 PM
Anyone got an opinion on which team is more gold?

Seems like the Saints are a more traditional gold color vs the Steelers yellow gold color.

The Penguins went more gold and I kinda liked it, but it feels more Pittsburgh when they switched back to our traditional gold. I guess Pittsburgh traditional gold not the more traditional gold color the Saints use.

Either way, it's weird having so many different shades of the same color. Feels like Paint stores should sponsor NFL teams. Or crayon makers.

Sugar
12-18-2018, 06:39 PM
Anyone got an opinion on which team is more gold?

Seems like the Saints are a more traditional gold color vs the Steelers yellow gold color.

The Penguins went more gold and I kinda liked it, but it feels more Pittsburgh when they switched back to our traditional gold. I guess Pittsburgh traditional gold not the more traditional gold color the Saints use.

Either way, it's weird having so many different shades of the same color. Feels like Paint stores should sponsor NFL teams. Or crayon makers.

Our "gold" just looks like yellow to anyone not invested in saying "Black & Gold."

RuthlessBurgher
12-18-2018, 11:15 PM
Our "gold" just looks like yellow to anyone not invested in saying "Black & Gold."

Like Wiz Khalifa in that dumb song.

spyboots
12-19-2018, 04:26 AM
Steelers gold is goldenrod. Saints is called old gold. Read that somewhere a few years back.

RuthlessBurgher
12-19-2018, 12:54 PM
Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018 03:17 PM

Saints' run defense will be tougher than Patriots'

Bob Labriola

Steelers.com

Jaylen Samuels made some personal history last Sunday at Heinz Field when he carried 19 times for 142 yards in a 17-10 victory over the Patriots. Because he made a name for himself at North Carolina State mostly for his receiving skills, his number of carries and yards rushing were both single-game highs for him. NFL, college, and even back to high school, Samuels never had as many as 19 carries in a game, nor did he ever rush for as many as 142 yards.

Because the Patriots have Tom Brady at quarterback, Samuels’ rushing total served a dual purpose for the Steelers, because in addition to helping the offense move the ball and get into scoring position, his rushing total helped the defense in that it allowed the Steelers to possess the ball and keep Brady on the sideline.

With this week’s opponent being the New Orleans Saints, another team quarterbacked by a future Hall of Fame player in Drew Brees, a repeat from Samuels and the Steelers rushing attack seems to be just as important this weekend as it was last weekend.

Only the degree of difficulty will increase significantly, because the Saints defense doesn’t figure to be nearly as accommodating to Samuels as the Patriots’ was.

“I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that they are No. 1 in football vs. the run,” said Coach Mike Tomlin during the upcoming opponent breakdown during his weekly news conference today at the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex. “Part of that is being a 12-2 football team, I understand that, having leads and so forth. But I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention that they’re No. 2 in the league vs. the run in terms of yards allowed per carry. So they’re probably not seeing a lot of carries because of the nature of the game, or the circumstances they’re in, but you better acknowledge they’re just formidable in stopping the run, period.”

The Saints defense has allowed an average of 3.7 yards per carry, which is slightly more than Houston’s league-best 3.6 yards per carry. But with 54 touchdowns scored, the Saints are second in the NFL in that category only to Kansas City, with 63, and so Tomlin’s point about New Orleans often playing with a lead is well taken.

“I think their yards per carry speaks to the dominance of their run defense. They’re No. 2 in the league in terms of yards per carry, so forget the number of runs, forget the game circumstance, ahead, behind, the nature of that,” said Tomlin. “When people choose to run it, they’re No. 2 in the league in terms of yards per carry. So they’re run-game dominant.”

The Saints defense has been helped over the course of this season by an offense that has totaled 30 or more points in nine games this season, with the total rising to 40 or more points in six of those nine, but in their last three outings combined, the Saints have totaled just 50 points but still were 2-1 in those three.

Samuels was in the mix as a running back against the Patriots because James Conner missed a second straight game with an ankle injury, and he got the bulk of the carries because he was producing. When asked what about Samuels gave him confidence the rookie could handle such a workload, Tomlin smiled.

“Who said I had confidence?” said Tomlin. “He was our back, and he was prepared, and so we went into the stadium. Often when you walk into a stadium, particularly for young guys, it’s a first time for a lot of things. I’m sure as he continues to step into stadiums with a significant role for us, he’ll check some boxes and do some things he hasn’t done before. But that’s just a very natural thing in terms of a young player’s career.”

TOMLIN’S INJURY UPDATE

“On the injury front, Cam Heyward had a hyperextended knee; he was able to go back into the game. Bud Dupree had a knee contusion that really limited his effectiveness. We’ll watch him participate during the week and let his participation be our guide, but we fully expect him to be a participant this weekend. Terrell Edmunds is in the concussion protocol. I don’t have a lot of information there. Often, guys may show up on Monday morning with symptoms and we address it in an appropriate and professional manner. Pre-existing injuries: James Conner, with his ankle (injury), I saw him downstairs getting rehabbed just a few moments ago. Hopefully that sets the stage for a productive Wednesday, and we’ll go on from there. We’ll let the amount of work that he’s able to do and the effectiveness of that work be our guide, and we’ll make those decisions at the appropriate time as we push toward game time. As for Ben’s ribs, he’s no worse for wear, there were no negative consequences from this past week’s performance.”

https://www.steelers.com/news/saints-run-defense-will-be-tougher-than-patriots

Chucktownsteeler
12-19-2018, 01:38 PM
Steelers gold is goldenrod. Saints is called old gold. Read that somewhere a few years back.

Agreed and I read somewhere the goldenrod was in reference to the helmet stripe, not the pants, so much.

RuthlessBurgher
12-19-2018, 04:52 PM
James Conner: I’m not ready yet

Posted by Josh Alper on December 19, 2018, 3:46 PM EST

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said on Tuesday that he hoped for a “productive Wednesday” from running back James Conner as he works his way back from a high ankle sprain, but it appears any work he does this week won’t help the team against the Saints this weekend.

Conner has missed the last two games because of the injury and told reporters on Wednesday that he doesn’t feel like he’s recovered enough to return to the lineup.

“I’m trying. It’s day by day. … I can walk around fine. I’m not limping around, but when I’m out there on the field, cutting and stuff, I’m not ready yet,” Conner said, via Mark Kaboly of The Athletic.

Jaylen Samuels has started with Conner out of action and is coming off of a 172-yard outing against the Patriots. Stevan Ridley is the other running back on the depth chart.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/19/james-conner-im-not-ready-yet/

RuthlessBurgher
12-19-2018, 04:52 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Steelers RB James Conner (high ankle sprain) 'just slightly' participated in Wednesday practice, said guard Ramon Foster, "but it wasn't much at all. I think they are going to see how it goes later in the week." Foster added saving Conner for playoffs would be an ideal scenario.

9m

RuthlessBurgher
12-19-2018, 05:19 PM
Wednesday, Dec 19, 2018 04:01 PM

Week 16 Injury Report (Saints)

Teresa Varley

Steelers.com

The Steelers began their preparation for the New Orleans Saints on Wednesday and did so with James Conner still just a spectator.

Conner, who was voted a starter for this year’s Pro Bowl, missed the last two games with an ankle sprain and didn’t practice on Wednesday.

“I am trying. It’s day-by-day,” said Conner. “These high ankle sprains are deceiving. I can walk around fine, not limping. When I am out there on the field, cutting and stuff, it’s not ready yet. It’s the reason why there are 53 guys on the team. You see the way Jaylen (Samuels) and (Stevan) Ridley have been playing. They are capable. I want to go, but if I don’t feel like me, I won’t be James Conner. I won’t go out there less than ready. I am day-to-day with it. I tried to do a little jogging today. Then I saw what it is. I will go out there and jog, see how it feels. Just stay the course. It takes time. No matter how much treatment I do, it takes time. Just take it day-by-day.”

In his absence Samuels stepped up in the running and passing game and carried the ball 19 times for 142 yards against the Patriots.

“I thought he showed good patience,” said Ben Roethlisberger. “I thought when it was there he hit it hard. He protected the ball. Those are things you want from a guy that isn’t used to carrying it as much as he is going to have to or did.”

Samuels also had two receptions for 30 yards against the Patriots, and the week before against the Raiders had seven receptions for 64 yards.

“One of the first things we noticed about him is he has really good hands. Soft hands,” said Roethlisberger. “You can throw it all over the place and he can make plays. I think he showed that this week, that we can put him out there and do some things with him that we are just scratching the surface with.”

Cameron Heyward, who hyperextended his knee against the Patriots but returned to the game, was a full participant in practice on Wednesday.

Terrell Edmunds, who has a concussion was limited in practice, while Bud Dupree, who suffered a knee contusion against the Patriots, did not practice, but Coach Mike Tomlin said on Tuesday he expects him to be available this Sunday.

Ben Roethlisberger and Maurkice Pouncey did not practice, a normal day off for the two of them.

The full practice report is below.

Pittsburgh Steelers Participation/Injury Report, Week 16

Wednesday, December 19
QB Ben Roethlisberger (Coach's Decision) - DNP
RB James Conner (Ankle) - DNP
S Terrell Edmunds (Concussion) - Limited
LB Bud Dupree (Knee) - DNP
C Maurkice Pouncey (Coach's Decision) - DNP
DE Cameron Heyward (Knee) - Full

https://www.steelers.com/news/week-16-injury-report-saints

RuthlessBurgher
12-20-2018, 11:15 AM
Terron Armstead now has knee injury, too, but has limited practice

Posted by Charean Williams on December 19, 2018, 8:15 PM EST

The Saints are banged up in the offensive line, with five linemen listed on their injury report.

Center Max Unger (concussion) and left tackle Jermon Bushrod (hamstring) missed practice Wednesday. Left guard Andrus Peat (shoulder) and right tackle Ryan Ramczyk (shoulder) were limited.

The Saints added a knee injury to starting left tackle Terron Armstead, who has missed the past five games with a a pectoral injury. He was limited Wednesday as he was the past two Wednesdays.

He has not played since tearing his pectoral in Week 10 against the Bengals but made the Pro Bowl as a starter anyway.

“I plan on coming back ASAP,” Armstead said, via Nick Underhill of The Advocate. “Whenever I’m able, I can functionally do my job, I’m out there.”

Punter Thomas Morstead (left ankle) was limited on Wednesday after being hit on an attempted blocked punt Monday night.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/19/terron-armstead-now-has-knee-injury-too-but-has-limited-practice/

RuthlessBurgher
12-20-2018, 11:17 AM
Saints designate Ted Ginn to return from IR

Posted by Charean Williams on December 19, 2018, 6:58 PM EST

The Saints designated receiver Ted Ginn to return from injured reserve Wednesday, Nick Underhill of The Advocate reports.

It starts a 21-day window for the Saints to add Ginn to the 53-player roster or he will revert back to injured reserve.

The Saints placed Ginn on injured reserve Oct. 19 with a knee injury. He has not played since a Week Four game against the Giants, with Wednesday marking Ginn’s first practice in more than two months.

Ginn caught 12 passes for 135 yards and two touchdowns this season.

The Saints already returned Tommylee Lewis from injured reserve, leaving them with no more designations for the season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/19/saints-designate-ted-ginn-to-return-from-ir/

RuthlessBurgher
12-20-2018, 04:40 PM
Saints sign Cornelius Lucas, cut Derek Newton

Posted by Charean Williams on December 20, 2018, 3:37 PM EST

The Saints signed offensive tackle Cornelius Lucas, Josh Katzenstein of the Times-Picayune reports. They cut offensive tackle Derek Newton in a corresponding move.

Lucas, 27, appeared in one game for the Rams last season.

The New Orleans native played 35 career games, with six starts, with the Lions from 2014-16 after going undrafted out of Kansas State.

Newton signed with the Saints last week, two years after tearing the patellar tendons in both knees. Newton was inactive for Monday night’s game against the Panthers.

The Saints are banged up in the offensive line, with five linemen listed on their injury report Wednesday.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/20/saints-signing-cornelius-lucas-cut-derek-newton/

RuthlessBurgher
12-20-2018, 05:07 PM
Thursday, Dec 20, 2018 03:53 PM

Teresa Varley

Steelers.com

The Steelers continued their preparation for the Saints on Thursday at the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex and had an addition to the practice report. JuJu Smith-Schuster was limited, listed with groin injury.

James Conner, who missed the last two games with an ankle sprain, didn’t practice for the second straight day. He has classified himself as ‘day-to-day’ and said he wouldn’t play unless he was fully ready to go.

In Conner’s absence rookie Jaylen Samuels has been carrying the load in the backfield. Samuels, one of the team’s fifth-round draft picks, carried the ball 19 times for 142 yards against the Patriots. It was a performance that impressed Conner.

“It was awesome, it was fun to watch,” said Conner. “He played with emotion, got the job done, made some big catches. He played a complete game. He’s a player for sure.”

Samuels said he prepares every week as if he is starting and that helped him when he was called upon to be the next man up.

“That’s why you’ve got to take care of your body,” said Samuels. “I came in on an off day to take care of my body. I told coach I was here getting ready to prepare of the Saints because it’s another tough task this week.”

Cameron Heyward, who hyperextended his knee against the Patriots but returned to the game, was a full participant in practice again on Thursday. Terrell Edmunds, who had concussion symptoms, was limited on Wednesday but was full go on Thursday. Bud Dupree, who suffered a knee contusion against the Patriots, didn’t practice on Wednesday but he was all a full participant on Thursday.

Thursday, December 20
QB Ben Roethlisberger (Coach's Decision) - Full
WR JuJu Smith-Schuster (Groin) - Limited
S Terrell Edmunds (Concussion) - Full
LB Bud Dupree (Knee) - Full
C Maurkice Pouncey (Coach's Decision) - Full

Wednesday, December 19

https://www.steelers.com/news/week-16-injury-report-saints

RuthlessBurgher
12-20-2018, 05:12 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Steelers WR JuJu Smith-Schuster appeared on the injury report with a groin issue. He was limited Thursday. WR James Washington says he's ready to start if necessary but believes Smith-Schuster will be fine.

10m

RuthlessBurgher
12-20-2018, 05:16 PM
JuJu Smith-Schuster limited at Steelers practice

Posted by Josh Alper on December 20, 2018, 4:09 PM EST

The Steelers have been dealing with an injured running back for the last few weeks and now they have a health issue at wide receiver as well.

JuJu Smith-Schuster was added to the team’s injury report on Thursday. He was limited by a groin injury and Mark Kaboly of The Athletic reports that he had to leave the session early as a result of the issue.

Friday’s practice and the release of injury designations will bring further word about Smith-Schuster’s status. The wideout has not missed a game yet this season.

James Washington, Eli Rogers, Ryan Switzer and Darrius Heyward-Bey would work along with Antonio Brown at receiver if Smith-Schuster isn’t able to play against the Saints.

Running back James Conner was the only player who didn’t practice for the Steelers. He said Wednesday that he doesn’t feel ready to return from the ankle injury that’s kept him out of the last two games.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/20/juju-smith-schuster-limited-at-steelers-practice/

RuthlessBurgher
12-21-2018, 08:24 PM
Friday, Dec 21, 2018 03:30 PM

Teresa Varley
STEELERS.COM

The Steelers head into Sunday’s game against the New Orleans Saints with a question mark at wide receiver.

JuJu Smith-Schuster, who left practice early with a groin injury on Thursday, didn’t practice on Friday and is questionable for the game. Smith-Schuster is the Steelers leading receiver with 1,274 yards on 95 receptions and has six receiving touchdowns.

Earlier this week Saints Coach Sean Payton talked about the challenge of defending the duo of Smith-Schuster and Antonio Brown.

“They’re explosive players, they run well, they have great ball skills,” said Payton. “It’s challenging with two, relative to how you cover them. I think they transition very well. They can get to top end speed, but they can also stop. That allows them separation and you partner that with a quarterback like Ben (Roethlisberger) and that makes for a challenging day.”

James Conner, who didn’t practice all week, has been ruled out and will miss his third straight game.

The running game was on fire last week against the New England Patriots when rookie Jaylen Samuels carried the ball 19 times for 142 yards. Samuels and Stevan Ridley will be called upon again this week, but it will be a tough test going against a Saints team that has been strong against the run.

“I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that they are No. 1 in football vs. the run,” said Coach Mike Tomlin during his weekly press conference. “Part of that is being a 12-2 football team, I understand that, having leads and so forth. But I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention that they’re No. 2 in the league vs. the run in terms of yards allowed per carry. They’re probably not seeing a lot of carries because of the nature of the game, or the circumstances they’re in, but you better acknowledge they’re just formidable in stopping the run, period.”

Cameron Heyward hasn’t shown any ill effects of the hyperextended knee he suffered against the Patriots last week. Heyward, who returned to the game after he injured the knee, was a full participant in practice all week and is good to go for Sunday.

The same is true for Bud Dupree, who left the Patriots game with a knee injury. Dupree was limited in practice on Wednesday but was a full go on Thursday and Friday. Tomlin had indicated during his Tuesday press conference that he didn’t expect Dupree to miss this week’s game and that is the case.

Terrell Edmunds, who was in concussion protocol early in the week, has been cleared and after being limited in practice on Wednesday he was a full go on Thursday and Friday.

Game Status
WR JuJu Smith-Schuster (Groin) - Questionable
RB James Conner (Ankle) - Out

Friday, December 21
WR JuJu Smith-Schuster (Groin) - DNP

Thursday, December 20
WR JuJu Smith-Schuster (Groin) - Limited

Wednesday, December 19
New Orleans Saints Participation/Injury Report, Week 16

Game Status
T Jermon Bushrod (Hamstring) - Out

Friday, December 21
T Jermon Bushrod (Hamstring) - DNP
C Max Unger (Concussion) - Full
G Andrus Peat (Shoulder) - Full
T Ryan Ramczyk (Shoulder) - Full
P Thomas Morstead (Left ankle) - Full
T Terron Armstead (Pectoral/knee) - Full

Thursday, December 20
C Max Unger (Concussion) - Limited
G Andrus Peat (Shoulder) - Limited
T Ryan Ramczyk (Shoulder) - Limited
P Thomas Morstead (Left ankle) - Limited
T Terron Armstead (Pectoral/knee) - Limited

Wednesday, December 19
C Max Unger (Concussion) - DNP
G Andrus Peat (Shoulder) - Limited
T Ryan Ramczyk (Shoulder) - Limited
P Thomas Morstead (Left ankle) - Limited
T Terron Armstead (Pectoral/knee) - Limited

RuthlessBurgher
12-22-2018, 12:32 PM
Sheldon Rankins thinks three-game road swing was good for Saints
By Josh Alper | Dec 21, 2018, 7:41 AM EST

The Saints will be back in the Superdome this week for the first time since beating the Falcons 31-17 in Week 12 and the three-game road swing that followed featured their shakiest stretch of the season.

They lost 13-10 to the Cowboys, trailed the Buccaneers 14-3 at halftime before rallying for a win and then came back for a 12-9 win over the Panthers last Monday night. The change from the overwhelming wins earlier in the season could be cause for concern in some corners, but defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins has a more positive take.

“I think it was good for this team,” Rankins said, via the New Orleans Times-Picayune. “To be able to go on the road and experience some trials and tribulations, to be able to have to weather the storm on the road and, for the most part, take care of business, it’s good to know. You confirmed that you go on the road and win those types of games, play those types of games and be successful.”

While the Saints may have learned that over the last three weeks, there may not be a need to put those lessons to the test for a while. They will face the Panthers at home after playing the Steelers this weekend and a win on Sunday would ensure that Super Bowl LIII in Atlanta would be the only possible road trip left on the schedule.