PDA

View Full Version : The Bad, The Ugly, and The Uglier

flippy
12-18-2018, 10:31 AM
I like being positive as much as the next guy and I was thankful to see the Steelers come out victorious against the Pats. However, the realist inside of me feels like this is a shallow victory that's collectively getting us too excited. It feels like the Pats might just be done. They lost that game more than we won it.

I'm totally confused this season. I don't know if we have good players or bad players? Good coaches or bad coaches? The only thing I know for sure is one of the following 3 people are going to be the reason the Steelers will be watching the playoffs from home.

1. Big Ben - The turnover machine himself. Leads the league in INTs. This is bad on so many levels. He's got a great Oline, great weapons all around him, and he's got the OC he's always wanted. He doesn't get sacked like he used to. He's got the freedom to make plays and he's turned into a brilliant disaster.

Take any other top QB in the league and put him in Pittsburgh and the QB is probably an all pro. Ben on the other hand makes mistakes that most rookies don't make. He makes them a lot. And leads the league in not being able to protect the ball. Odd are, this will cost us a playoff spot. In fact, it probably already has. He's dug us such a deep hole already this season.

2. Mike Tomlin - 0 Challenges won in his last 10 Challenges. Take his red bean bag away from him. Seriously just hide it. Nothing good comes from him challenging a ruling on the field.

But this is a bigger issue. It shows our coach cannot adapt. He cannot change. He is what he is. He's better than most give him credit for. But he's also much worse than most will admit. Odds are in the next 2 weeks, Tomlin will do something boneheaded that will cost us the playoffs. My gut says his gut will be wrong. That's a pretty safe bet.

3. The Wizard of Boz - The Steelers should play the song, "If I only had a brain" every time he walks on the field. His head is so fudged up, we need to double reverse psychology him. His FG and XP misses are legendary. But when you layer them on top of Big Benterception and Mike "the Gut" Tomlin's bizarre premonitions, it's a confluence of disaster.

We're mediocre enough that we can overcome a lot of mistakes. And I think we will to give fans false hope. Only to have that hope snatched away by another Wizard of Boz missed FG or 2, or a FG and XP. I'm pretty sure Boz can contribute to 2 losses. Ben and Mike might have a flash of brilliance that can shine for a game. Boz has nothing.

What do you guys think? Who is most likely responsible for getting the Steelers players a longer vacation this offseason?

Starlifter
12-18-2018, 10:38 AM
If it happens - and there's a very good chance they can get hot like the rats did a few years ago, I think it will be Boz. With any luck we won't have to debate how the season ended. But if it dies prematurely, that's my guess. I hate to say it too because the kid has been money the last several years. But it's a head game now. I don't care how he kicks in an empty stadium, I care how he kicks with 65k in the stands and perhaps in the playoffs. the pressure is only going to go up. I don't know who is available in december, but i'm pretty sure the pickings are slim. We are likely going to ride him to the superbowl or bust - I just really hope for his sake, it's not a missed kick that ends the season. Always been a big fan of the kid.

snarky
12-18-2018, 11:00 AM
I hope it's not Boz because the pressure to release him in the off-season would be intense. Kickers are 'over-cut' in the league IMO. A guy will miss a few, get released and then go on to be a solid kicker somewhere else (Suisham, for example). Before this year, Boswell has been money -- and I expect he will return to form next year.

SidSmythe
12-18-2018, 11:04 AM
While I thoroughly enjoyed this victory and I see it as the end of the reign of the Patriots as we know them - I have to agree 99%

BEN does have great weapons - but outside of JJSS & AB he doesn't have much - McDonald is good, not great. SWITZER has been our 3rd WR?? That kid simply scares me!!
Not sure if anyone notice his blunder the other day - ball hits a Patriot on a punt and he tries to dive for it??
Back to BEN - the Steelers have one of the best OLINE's in the NFL but they have the LOWEST RUN% in the NFL???
Unfortunately this leads to more predicatability in our PASS GAME

As for TOMLIN - said the other day - take that red flag away from him.
He coaches from emotion in which he loses all rationale - begging for a call instead of seeing what is really going on.

BOZ(notso)WELL - Well Boz?? Get your mind right son!!

Ghost
12-18-2018, 11:08 AM
Chat on Post-Gazette today:

Kryder: MT lost his 10th challenge in a row and it would have been 11th if not for the “forward progressed stopped” call on the field. Why do you think he struggles so much determining how to challenge a play that he actually has a chance of winning?

Ray Fittipaldo: Because he doesn't have anyone in the press box to help him. He watches the video board just like everyone else in the stadium and makes his determination. That's difficult, but it's especially difficult on the road where the other team is controlling what's shown. Other teams would be dumb to show any replays against the Steelers because Tomlin has made it known that's how he makes his decisions.

Buzz
12-18-2018, 11:24 AM
Chat on Post-Gazette today:

Kryder: MT lost his 10th challenge in a row and it would have been 11th if not for the “forward progressed stopped” call on the field. Why do you think he struggles so much determining how to challenge a play that he actually has a chance of winning?

Ray Fittipaldo: Because he doesn't have anyone in the press box to help him. He watches the video board just like everyone else in the stadium and makes his determination. That's difficult, but it's especially difficult on the road where the other team is controlling what's shown. Other teams would be dumb to show any replays against the Steelers because Tomlin has made it known that's how he makes his decisions.

Why, after all this time, and all these missed challenges, does he have no one to help him review replays? Is he just that stubborn, or what?

Captain Lemming
12-18-2018, 11:47 AM
Why, after all this time, and all these missed challenges, does he have no one to help him review replays? Is he just that stubborn, or what?

Very legit criticism here.

Captain Lemming
12-18-2018, 12:02 PM
I like being positive as much as the next guy and I was thankful to see the Steelers come out victorious against the Pats. However, the realist inside of me feels like this is a shallow victory that's collectively getting us too excited. It feels like the Pats might just be done. They lost that game more than we won it.

I'm totally confused this season. I don't know if we have good players or bad players? Good coaches or bad coaches? The only thing I know for sure is one of the following 3 people are going to be the reason the Steelers will be watching the playoffs from home.

1. Big Ben - The turnover machine himself. Leads the league in INTs. This is bad on so many levels. He's got a great Oline, great weapons all around him, and he's got the OC he's always wanted. He doesn't get sacked like he used to. He's got the freedom to make plays and he's turned into a brilliant disaster.

Take any other top QB in the league and put him in Pittsburgh and the QB is probably an all pro. Ben on the other hand makes mistakes that most rookies don't make. He makes them a lot. And leads the league in not being able to protect the ball. Odd are, this will cost us a playoff spot. In fact, it probably already has. He's dug us such a deep hole already this season.

2. Mike Tomlin - 0 Challenges won in his last 10 Challenges. Take his red bean bag away from him. Seriously just hide it. Nothing good comes from him challenging a ruling on the field.

But this is a bigger issue. It shows our coach cannot adapt. He cannot change. He is what he is. He's better than most give him credit for. But he's also much worse than most will admit. Odds are in the next 2 weeks, Tomlin will do something boneheaded that will cost us the playoffs. My gut says his gut will be wrong. That's a pretty safe bet.

3. The Wizard of Boz - The Steelers should play the song, "If I only had a brain" every time he walks on the field. His head is so fudged up, we need to double reverse psychology him. His FG and XP misses are legendary. But when you layer them on top of Big Benterception and Mike "the Gut" Tomlin's bizarre premonitions, it's a confluence of disaster.

We're mediocre enough that we can overcome a lot of mistakes. And I think we will to give fans false hope. Only to have that hope snatched away by another Wizard of Boz missed FG or 2, or a FG and XP. I'm pretty sure Boz can contribute to 2 losses. Ben and Mike might have a flash of brilliance that can shine for a game. Boz has nothing.

What do you guys think? Who is most likely responsible for getting the Steelers players a longer vacation this offseason?

Way to go Flippy. Real heartfelt scepticism by you never fails.

That fake stuff we tried.....pretending? Doesn’t seem to do the trick.
But when you REALLY THINK all is lost........they never fail us.

Why do you think I made that bet last week. YOU had no hope we would win.

And Flippy as you said, we “might” win a game or two but we cannot sustain it.
Keep that mindset dude. Don’t be swayed by a good outing or two........they WILL disappoint you.

The greater the hope......the more painful the fall.

YOU MUST NEVER BELIEVE

williar
12-18-2018, 01:39 PM

What do you guys think? Who is most likely responsible for getting the Steelers players a longer vacation this offseason? +2
Totally agree, especially with #1. He could equalize and overcome many miscues such as the ones listed #2 and #3, by upping his play, but I will not hold my breath. As I have said before and as evident, this team will go as far as the defense will carry them! Enough said! And that is a shame considering we have more than enough offensive components where they really should be leading the charge.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-18-2018, 01:55 PM
I honestly think he challenges when he's wishing we'd get a call - it's a call we NEED, not one that he had anyone review.

flippy
12-18-2018, 02:03 PM
I honestly think he challenges when he's wishing we'd get a call - it's a call we NEED, not one that he had anyone review.

I think you're on to something. I've also though he may just want a delay/timeout to slow down momentum at a critical juncture and challenging provides a longer break than a timeout.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-18-2018, 02:13 PM
I think you're on to something. I've also though he may just want a delay/timeout to slow down momentum at a critical juncture and challenging provides a longer break than a timeout.
usually, his challenges happen after i have HOPED the play went our way, but, have seen the replay and thought, "dang, his foot was in" (or whatever circumstance I hoped for was already proven to be incorrect).

Tomlin, proceeds with the challenge that we've already seen on TV and know he isn't getting. His replay guy needs to be faster - we might need that TO later.

Sword
12-18-2018, 03:43 PM
Those two interceptions this past game were on receivers...int stat is overrated......too many variables at play to total blame QB.....

D Rock
12-18-2018, 03:55 PM
While I thoroughly enjoyed this victory and I see it as the end of the reign of the Patriots as we know them - I have to agree 99%

BEN does have great weapons - but outside of JJSS & AB he doesn't have much - McDonald is good, not great. SWITZER has been our 3rd WR?? That kid simply scares me!!
Not sure if anyone notice his blunder the other day - ball hits a Patriot on a punt and he tries to dive for it??
Back to BEN - the Steelers have one of the best OLINE's in the NFL but they have the LOWEST RUN% in the NFL???
Unfortunately this leads to more predicatability in our PASS GAME

As for TOMLIN - said the other day - take that red flag away from him.
He coaches from emotion in which he loses all rationale - begging for a call instead of seeing what is really going on.

BOZ(notso)WELL - Well Boz?? Get your mind right son!!

The Switzer punt thing wasn't a blunder-

After the ball is touched by the kicking team, the receiving team is essentially free to try and make something happen with no concerns because they can take the ball at the point it was first touched by the kicking team if they choose to.

Captain Lemming
12-18-2018, 04:41 PM

Don't know if it was intentional, but that "mistake" red flag did just that.

If it was deliberate, it was a rare genius flag throw for him.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-18-2018, 07:21 PM
Don't know if it was intentional, but that "mistake" red flag did just that.

If it was deliberate, it was a rare genius flag throw for him.

I don't think that it was thrown knowing that they wouldn't be able to challenge. The ref first announced that the ball carrier was "down by contact". Tomlin threw the flag. The ref then corrected himself and claimed that the call was "forward progress stopped".

One is reviewable, the other isn't.

pittpete
12-18-2018, 08:19 PM
Wait, we won and you guys are questioning things.
Its all rosy and everything is great.
You guys are freakin %**$#@#$%#:D

pittpete
12-18-2018, 08:20 PM
Those two interceptions this past game were on receivers...int stat is overrated......too many variables at play to total blame QB.....

Just curious but are you talking about the overthrow to JuJu?
Did you read that somewhere?

Ernie
12-19-2018, 06:25 AM
Wow... lets see... I,for one, am loving our weapons. Juju and AB are studs.. Switzer has been solid overall... especially when you consider that he came in on short notice. Rogers came in and had a few nice catches in his return. Washington finally made the plays we hoped he was capable of. McDonald is above the curve. James is solid. We may have found another star in the making with Samuels. He and Conner will be solid for years to come provided the O-line holds up.
If we can somehow find that run/pass balance down the stretch... I think it will help with Ben's TO's.
Sadly, this season is going to come down to weather we can hold teams to under 25 in the playoffs... and take care of the football on offense.

pittpete
12-19-2018, 03:45 PM
and limiting Bens turnovers Ernie.......