PDA

View Full Version : Theory on why last night was different

Captain Lemming
12-17-2018, 01:05 PM
I have a theory about why the Pats tend to "own" us.

From Noll, to Cowher, to Tomlin, we are a "we know what we do and you cant stop us" mentality type team. We are predictable but we dominate when we are an unstoppable force. For example our zone blitz when it is on point (good secondary), is pretty devastating.

The Pats are a "box of chocolates" never know what er gonna get team that adjusts to an opponent.

BB THRIVES on predictability in a way that most coaches cannot because he is the GOAT at doing different looks WELL.

He CHEATS in that while focusing on taking away your strengths, he will allow you to do what you dont like to do ALL DAY LONG.
This is why his losses are often early in the season, when teams might have a different look, new coaches, or new talent. (Example last season chiefs with the rookie back tearing them up).

If a team simply gameplans outside of what they normally do, he is VULNERABLE big time.

We did that last night, and looking at Bradys comments it was clear it caught them WAY off guard.
He never saw what he was prepped to see. It helped that we have the talent in the front to put actual pressure with 4 or 5.
They had no idea Samuels was gonna ball like he did (heck I dont think WE knew it as emphasizing him was not part of the plan).

BB effectively did what he does and neither Brown nor JuJu dominated. Some of his best throws to them were contested big time.
Guys like Samuels, Washington, and Rogers were surprise contributors.

They were lost, confused, and had no answers.

That is how we beat them.

I think the league say it too. They are exposed. Might be the end of the dynasty.

Buzz
12-17-2018, 01:30 PM

From Noll, to Cowher, to Tomlin, we are a "we know what we do and you cant stop us" mentality type team. We are predictable but we dominate when we are an unstoppable force. For example our zone blitz when it is on point (good secondary), is pretty devastating.

The Pats are a "box of chocolates" never know what er gonna get team that adjusts to an opponent.

BB THRIVES on predictability in a way that most coaches cannot because he is the GOAT at doing different looks WELL.

He CHEATS in that while focusing on taking away your strengths, he will allow you to do what you dont like to do ALL DAY LONG.
This is why his losses are often early in the season, when teams might have a different look, new coaches, or new talent. (Example last season chiefs with the rookie back tearing them up).

If a team simply gameplans outside of what they normally do, he is VULNERABLE big time.

We did that last night, and looking at Bradys comments it was clear it caught them WAY off guard.
He never saw what he was prepped to see. It helped that we have the talent in the front to put actual pressure with 4 or 5.
They had no idea Samuels was gonna ball like he did (heck I dont think WE knew it as emphasizing him was not part of the plan).

BB effectively did what he does and neither Brown nor JuJu dominated. Some of his best throws to them were contested big time.

I think the league say it too. They are exposed. Might be the end of the dynasty.

Just change up the game plan? It took us 12 years to figure that out?

papillon
12-17-2018, 01:36 PM

The Pats will always try and take away your best weapon(s) on defense, they've been doing that for years, hence, AB and Juju made a few plays but nothing major. Last night the other guys stepped up and made plays, Washington, Samuels, McDonald, Rogers, etc. and the Steelers won. I don't think any secrets were unlocked last night, I just think our second level players made plays and had Ben stayed with those guys even more, the game wouldn't have been close.

Pappy

Captain Lemming
12-17-2018, 01:36 PM

Pats are a DYNASTY. Tomlins team was in their path ONCE on the way to those championships.
THE ENTIRE LEAGUE has not figured this out my friend.

BTW we are a controversial call away from beating them two seasons in a row.

rpmpit
12-17-2018, 01:37 PM

Yeah, I think it's more that Brady is done and BB will be exposed (like last night) without him.

Think about the Giants and their Super Bowl wins. Pressure Brady, making him average and win. Don't you think a genius would have an answer to something so simple?

Captain Lemming
12-17-2018, 01:40 PM
The Pats will always try and take away your best weapon(s) on defense, they've been doing that for years, hence, AB and Juju made a few plays but nothing major. Last night the other guys stepped up and made plays, Washington, Samuels, McDonald, Rogers, etc. and the Steelers won. I don't think any secrets were unlocked last night, I just think our second level players made plays and had Ben stayed with those guys even more, the game wouldn't have been close.

Pappy

You are correct, much of the offensive production by the second tier was kinda happenstance.
We scored 17......scored twice that last season.
Gameplan on DEFENSE was the big difference

Captain Lemming
12-17-2018, 01:43 PM
Yeah, I think it's more that Brady is done and BB will be exposed (like last night) without him.

Think about the Giants and their Super Bowl wins. Pressure Brady, making him average and win. Don't you think a genius would have an answer to something so simple?

Gotta pressure without sacrificing coverage with blitzes. If it was easy, the Giants would not be the only team mentioned.

rpmpit
12-17-2018, 01:44 PM
You are correct, much of the offensive production by the second tier was kinda happenstance.

And they were a play away from tying the game and sending it to overtime. Defense played great. No question. But Brady is not Brady anymore. And Belichick (edit: as a head coach) never did and never will accomplish anything without him.

rpmpit
12-17-2018, 01:46 PM
Gotta pressure without sacrificing coverage with blitzes. If it was easy, the Giants would not be the only team mentioned.

Only team mentioned because they did it twice in the Super Bowl. Philly finally gets pressure on him late in that shootout last year and ends the game.

Oviedo
12-17-2018, 01:49 PM
Pats are a DYNASTY. Tomlins team was in their path ONCE on the way to those championships.
THE ENTIRE LEAGUE has not figured this out my friend.

BTW we are a controversial call away from beating them two seasons in a row.

There you go offering a half full glass to those who can only see half empty. Shame on you

Don't you know some can't be happy unless they are unhappy

papillon
12-17-2018, 02:20 PM
And they were a play away from tying the game and sending it to overtime. Defense played great. No question. But Brady is not Brady anymore. And Belichick (edit: as a head coach) never did and never will accomplish anything without him.

Brady has always been susceptible to pressure and making mistakes, when he was young and now as well, all-in-all the Steeler defense had a lot to say about his ineffectiveness last night and not his declining skills. He's still a damn good quarterback in this league and believing that he isn't is a recipe for disaster. I'm giving credit to the defense not a declining skill set.

Pappy

Iron City Inc.
12-17-2018, 02:46 PM

The game plan was a big part of it. We stayed in nickel as well as big nickel and did more dictating to them then the opposite. Too we also communicated better on back end coverage. We constantly have NOT been on the same page on the back end and that has consistently cost us. Couple it with the fact we were able to get some pressure on 12 gave us a good chance.
Adapt or die and we have been killed prior but good to c we at least made some adjustments last night. A breath of fresh air.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-17-2018, 02:51 PM
It seems that the game plan came up with a nice balance of pressure without sacrificing coverage. At the end of the game did you see how tiny the windows were that he had to throw into? The front still hurried him enough but without coverage lapses on the back end.

Oviedo
12-17-2018, 04:16 PM
The game plan was a big part of it. We stayed in nickel as well as big nickel and did more dictating to them then the opposite. Too we also communicated better on back end coverage. We constantly have NOT been on the same page on the back end and that has consistently cost us. Couple it with the fact we were able to get some pressure on 12 gave us a good chance.
Adapt or die and we have been killed prior but good to c we at least made some adjustments last night. A breath of fresh air.

Noticed Burnett played most of the game. Wonder if that helped communication?

steelz09
12-17-2018, 04:30 PM
Gronk is hurt. Brady wasn't sharp. Pat's dropped numerous passes and had a ton of penalties.

The Steelers got pressure on Brady like they did last year. They played a bit better in the secondary.

Outside of that, we did just enough to win. Barely. At an absolute minimum, we should have won by 13.

K Train
12-17-2018, 05:10 PM
Gronk is hurt. Brady wasn't sharp. Pat's dropped numerous passes and had a ton of penalties.

The Steelers got pressure on Brady like they did last year. They played a bit better in the secondary.

Outside of that, we did just enough to win. Barely. At an absolute minimum, we should have won by 13.

The penalties were extra odd, most for them in years i believe. Overall it felt like mayweather fighting manny 5 years too late but it was still wildly satisfying beating a team with so much historical success vs the steelers.

Also another huge outlier like the penalties but the pats dropping two in a row in december for the first time since 2002...like what kind of stat is that lol

Also, i love TJ Watt

Steel Maniac
12-17-2018, 05:12 PM

Look at Brady the last 7 games. It's been the end of their era. He's done and he stuck a fork in the organization by forcing them to trade Jimmy G last year.

Steel Maniac
12-17-2018, 05:13 PM
Noticed Burnett played most of the game. Wonder if that helped communication?

It had to be better!

K Train
12-17-2018, 05:15 PM
Look at Brady the last 7 games. It's been the end of their era. He's done and he stuck a fork in the organization by forcing them to trade Jimmy G last year.

He doenst have the same "done" we saw with peyton. Peytons arm strength fell off a cliff, his last season there were routine throws that were taking everything he had. Bradys arm is on the decline, but its not the deflated noodle peyton had

Steel Maniac
12-17-2018, 05:17 PM
He doenst have the same "done" we saw with peyton. Peytons arm strength fell off a cliff, his last season there were routine throws that were taking everything he had. Bradys arm is on the decline, but its not the deflated noodle peyton had

No..it's not quite that bad. Your right. But he's skipping down that path!

papillon
12-17-2018, 09:03 PM
The penalties were a direct result of the Steeler fans and the Steelers front 4 or 5, the defense deserves credit for forcing mistakes and Brady is still s top 3 quarterback in this league, possibly still the best.

Pappy

NorthCoast
12-17-2018, 09:29 PM
There were at least 70,000 fans that saw a 'different' Steelers team last night. There was also an equal number of fans that saw a 'different' NE team. Steelers defense controlled both the run and passing game. Something they have not done particularly well against NE in the past. Usually if they focus on one side of the offense, they let down on the other. This is probably the biggest difference I noticed during the game.

And what others said, if the 2nd tier guys on offense didn't make plays the Steelers likely don't win that game. That has not always been there in the past either.

RuthlessBurgher
12-18-2018, 11:54 AM
Also, i love TJ Watt

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Steelers OLB T.J. Watt on defensive confident boost: “We've just got to know we can do it and believe in ourselves and just keep going. We're just getting started here."

2d

rpmpit
12-18-2018, 01:24 PM
The penalties were a direct result of the Steeler fans and the Steelers front 4 or 5, the defense deserves credit for forcing mistakes and Brady is still s top 3 quarterback in this league, possibly still the best.

Pappy

My observations yesterday were more about the game showing that Belichick without Brady is no "genius." I was in no way trying to take credit away from the Steelers for playing a great game. I realized how I may have been coming off while watching NFL Network last night and all of the "experts" were saying it wasn't what the Steelers did to win the game, it was what the Pats did to lose the game. That was pissing me off :mad:

Are we allowed to say, "pissing me off?' :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
12-18-2018, 01:45 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Looking back at Patriots game, a few things stand out with the Steelers defense: Team relied on ILB Vince Williams in coverage and he held up well, Joe Haden was tremendous (not just the pick), Artie Burns and Cam Sutton barely played despite practicing with the first team all week, DE Cam Heyward with no sacks but had crucial pressures.

1h

NorthCoast
12-19-2018, 10:11 AM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

...............Artie Burns and Cam Sutton barely played .......

1hThis should not be overlooked. And btw, I was surprised how much VWilliams was playing in coverage. I thought the Steelers would use Fort more in those situations, but maybe it was a look they wanted to give NE...

Captain Lemming
12-19-2018, 10:49 AM
Don’t get TOO excited about the defense.

Secondary is still bad.
People say “see we have talent its coaching” after the win.
True the gameplan was huge. But it simply wont work for most teams.

As I said earlier, I would suggest that we took advantage of the Pats inclination to overplay a teams strengths.
That is a unique tendency.
It makes them uniquely vulnerable to the unexpected.

K Train
12-19-2018, 10:58 AM

Secondary is still bad.

As I said earlier, I would suggest that we took advantage of the Pats inclination to overplay a teams strengths.

Fair point....but if the front 7 can play the way they did the secondary can survive.

Also, Joe Haden might be the best FA signing the steelers have made since....idk, my lifetime. Granted, theres not too many to be overly enthused about. Off the top of my head I loved Farrior and the Flozell Adams rental, but Haden is my favorite

Captain Lemming
12-19-2018, 11:38 AM
Fair point....but if the front 7 can play the way they did the secondary can survive.

Also, Joe Haden might be the best FA signing the steelers have made since....idk, my lifetime. Granted, theres not too many to be overly enthused about. Off the top of my head I loved Farrior and the Flozell Adams rental, but Haden is my favorite

Agreed.......Haden was a sweet acquisition. Dude just gotta stay healthy.
Still don’t trust whoever is on the other side though.

If we simply had “better than average” there we’d be scary.

RuthlessBurgher
12-19-2018, 11:53 AM
Joe Haden named AFC defensive player of the week

Posted by Darin Gantt on December 19, 2018, 9:38 AM EST

Joe Haden came to Pittsburgh for games like last week.

Then he changed one.

The Steelers cornerback was named AFC defensive player of the week, after his leaping interception helped seal a win over the Patriots.

Haden’s pick over the top of Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski snapped a streak of four games without an interception for the Steelers, and he also batted down Tom Brady‘s final fourth-down pass to seal the win.

Haden was a decorated corner for the Browns before they became interesting again, but escaping to Pittsburgh was done to be part of something bigger. And last week, he was a big part of a signature win.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/19/joe-haden-named-afc-defensive-player-of-the-week/

Oviedo
12-19-2018, 11:56 AM

Secondary is still bad.

We do have talent but we also have big talent gaps at ILB and CB. Haden is above the bar but no longer a great CB. Whoever you put on the other side is barely average and we really need to protect whoever is there with scheme.

IMO opinion, and just an opinion, I really believe not having Shazier cost us at least two wins this year. He was a real difference maker.

Captain Lemming
12-21-2018, 02:50 PM
We do have talent but we also have big talent gaps at ILB and CB. Haden is above the bar but no longer a great CB. Whoever you put on the other side is barely average and we really need to protect whoever is there with scheme.

IMO opinion, and just an opinion, I really believe not having Shazier cost us at least two wins this year. He was a real difference maker.

The Shazier loss was big

Northern_Blitz
12-21-2018, 04:39 PM
The Shazier loss was big

It's crazy that he has to still count against the cap too. There should be some kind of mechanism where the cap hit gets lowered due to catastrophic injury. Then we'd "only" have to deal with the loss of a critical piece of the team.

papillon
12-22-2018, 11:00 AM
Wouldn't signing Shazier to an extension for 2 or 3 years help the cap situation and maintain the rights to Shazier? They could guarantee him what he is owed next year but it would be spread out over 2 or 3 years.

Pappy

NJ-STEELER
12-22-2018, 09:30 PM
Also, i love TJ Watt

I wish we could clone him. what a player.

pats were chipping him with a back and he was still getting pressure