PDA

View Full Version : Burns Benched Yet Again

NorthCoast
12-16-2018, 09:04 PM
Immediately following the Patriots long TD pass to Hogan who was left uncovered, Burns was sent to the bench.

My guess is, barring injuries, Burns is now finished with the Steelers (or should be). Been given so many chances and has failed every time.

BURGH86STEEL
12-16-2018, 09:06 PM
Burn's issue appears to be mental. He's probably having difficulty learning the defense.

Eich
12-16-2018, 09:15 PM
During the presser, Tomlin went out of his way to say that busted play wasn’t Burns’ fault and not why he was pulled. But who knows.

SidSmythe
12-16-2018, 09:15 PM
Burn's issue appears to be mental. He's probably having difficulty learning the defense.

Straight Man 2 Man guy. Period

BURGH86STEEL
12-16-2018, 09:18 PM
Straight Man 2 Man guy. Period
I don't think it's that simple. Offenses will find ways to exploit players that can't play within the structure of the defense. I probably places limitations on what defenses can be called.

I don't think the team is ready to give up on him yet but we'll see.

Ghost
12-16-2018, 09:18 PM

In year 3? Is that a joke? If he can’t learn the D In his third season than cut him. He is an absolute waste of a roster space.

If if he wasn’t a first round pick he’d already be gone.

BURGH86STEEL
12-16-2018, 09:38 PM
In year 3? Is that a joke? If he can’t learn the D In his third season than cut him. He is an absolute waste of a roster space.

If if he wasn’t a first round pick he’d already be gone.

Talented 1st round players get a little more time. It's nothing new. Never know when the light might go on for a player. All the coaches can do is to continue to work with him.

Ghost
12-16-2018, 09:41 PM
Accept Burns isn’t talented. He lasted 3 plays today. If he was released tonight it wouldn’t make one difference to this team. None.

SteelBucks
12-16-2018, 09:41 PM
Burns lasted 3 plays longer than I thought he would.

skyhawk
12-16-2018, 10:02 PM
He had his super bowl moment today tho! Made one of the first tackles of the game.

I wonder why he was benched.

Chadman
12-16-2018, 10:14 PM
Is there a point to cutting him financially? Wouldn’t he still be on a rookie contract? If his numbers financially are better than Sensabaugh, Chadman thinks he has a chance of surviving a little longer. If he’s a hefty cap burden, he’s in serious trouble making the team next year.

Steel Maniac
12-16-2018, 10:20 PM
It’s not burns fault that Butler keeps running him out there.

BURGH86STEEL
12-16-2018, 10:30 PM
Accept Burns isn’t talented. He lasted 3 plays today. If he was released tonight it wouldn’t make one difference to this team. None.
Burns has plenty of talent. Check the results and measurable of his combine if you don't believe he has talent. He was thought of so highly that he was drafted in the first round.

Again, he appears to struggle with the mental aspect of the game. Football aptitude is something that teams can't really measure.

I don't really care who the team releases or keeps. It's not my time or money that's invested in scouting and drafting players.

My thoughts are along the lines of why they choose to keep him around. Talent, money, investment, first round pick, patience, and the hope that he can get better with the mental aspect of the game. The team will move on if he doesn't improve. I hope the light goes on for him.

winwithd
12-16-2018, 10:31 PM
Even if you shut Artie down the rest of the season, I think you give him a chance next preseason in case he can work this out

Ghost
12-16-2018, 10:35 PM
So he has talent in shorts running drills. Just not in pads when a game is going on. Got it. Now I know you’re arguing just for the sake of arguing. The end of his third year with the same team and he’s struggling with the mental aspects of the game ( your words).

If if he can’t play, physically or mentally, than cut him. He’s a waste of a roster spot. He is a flat out liability every time he comes on the field.

BURGH86STEEL
12-16-2018, 11:09 PM
So he has talent in shorts running drills. Just not in pads when a game is going on. Got it. Now I know you’re arguing just for the sake of arguing. The end of his third year with the same team and he’s struggling with the mental aspects of the game ( your words).

If if he can’t play, physically or mentally, than cut him. He’s a waste of a roster spot. He is a flat out liability every time he comes on the field.
I guess he showed enough in college to be drafted.

So easy to suggest cut a player when it isn't your investment on the line. Sometimes teams that have patience are rewarded. We'll see.

I don't understand why some people need to have an extreme stance? What eva man.

NorthCoast
12-16-2018, 11:22 PM
The reality is probably somewhere in the middle; yes Burns has talent but has no grasp of an NFL defense. And yes, the Steelers missed on yet another DB pick in an early round and the team is probably reluctant to admit it and cut bait. Keep him on the roster for injury insurance. This late in the season there won't be another option outside that can help.

BURGH86STEEL
12-16-2018, 11:56 PM
The reality is probably somewhere in the middle; yes Burns has talent but has no grasp of an NFL defense. And yes, the Steelers missed on yet another DB pick in an early round and the team is probably reluctant to admit it and cut bait. Keep him on the roster for injury insurance. This late in the season there won't be another option outside that can help.

They will try to trade or cut him when they give up on him.

pittpete
12-17-2018, 12:22 AM
It wasnt Burns' fault Either Sensabaugh or Haden screwed up, just more miscommunication on defense.
Want to look for blame, blame Davis for turning his back in centerfield on the QB and running with Gronk.
Davis is as dumb as they get.

Captain Lemming
12-17-2018, 12:23 AM
Straight Man 2 Man guy.

Isn't that an inherent contradiction? :)

Buzz
12-17-2018, 12:35 AM
Isn't that an inherent contradiction? :)

After reading this, I guess anything is possible:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/12/16/boys-can-have-periods-schoolchildren-taught-latest-victory-transgender/

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-17-2018, 12:43 PM
Is there a point to cutting him financially? Wouldn’t he still be on a rookie contract? If his numbers financially are better than Sensabaugh, Chadman thinks he has a chance of surviving a little longer. If he’s a hefty cap burden, he’s in serious trouble making the team next year.

Burns' cap hit in 2018 is $2.6M. Next season the hit is just over $3M. Unfortunately he has a roster bonus of $800K this off-season which means that if he is still on the roster when camp starts then he gets that money. That means the savings would be just under $1M with a dead money hit of over $2M. Basically if he survives his roster bonus date then he plays in Pittsburgh in 2019.

NorthCoast
12-17-2018, 09:44 PM
Burns' cap hit in 2018 is $2.6M. Next season the hit is just over $3M. Unfortunately he has a roster bonus of $800K this off-season which means that if he is still on the roster when camp starts then he gets that money. That means the savings would be just under $1M with a dead money hit of over $2M. Basically if he survives his roster bonus date then he plays in Pittsburgh in 2019.And sadly, making decisions like these based on money rather than player talent (or lack thereof) end up leaving a team with holes that must be filled by lesser players or rookies from a draft.
The Ravens reloaded awfully quickly on defense, while the Steelers continue to try to plug holes.

pittpete
12-17-2018, 11:55 PM
We just shut down the Patriots with a good gameplan and the same players....
Think about it

NorthCoast
12-18-2018, 12:23 AM
It wasnt Burns' fault Either Sensabaugh or Haden screwed up, just more miscommunication on defense.
Want to look for blame, blame Davis for turning his back in centerfield on the QB and running with Gronk.
Davis is as dumb as they get.My question; why does it seem bad things always happen when Burns is on the field, even when not his fault?

Moonie
12-18-2018, 12:26 AM
My question; why does it seem bad things always happen when Burns is on the field, even when not his fault?

He's the Steelers' own version of Schleprock.

Ernie
12-18-2018, 06:59 AM
He's the Steelers' own version of Schleprock.

Or Mike Mitchell lol

Sword
12-18-2018, 09:38 AM
We just shut down the Patriots with a good gameplan and the same players....
Think about it

we have the talent it's been the coaching......

NorthCoast
12-18-2018, 10:19 AM
He's the Steelers' own version of Schleprock.Had to look that one up :lol::

schleprock (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=schleprock)

To carry heavy burdens. One who is said to unlucky or extreamly unfortunate. Also formerly a character on the popular cartoon "The Flintstones "
1. Yo, Lacey I've been a schleprock all week. First my car broke down and while walking to work a bird **** on my head. When I arrived my boss fired me and when I took the bus home I was mugged. By the time I got home my dog Lucky had died

pittpete
12-19-2018, 11:15 PM
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/12/19/18146830/steelers-news-how-the-steelers-outsmarted-tom-brady-and-bill-belichick-keith-butler-mike-tomlin?fbclid=IwAR3FhHYIHLPN3qgkyG58nmhYnwy3vaJ-DCq11ncxyk4LGa25ObeXorEMVfE

The initial plan appeared to feature a return of Artie Burns to the starting lineup. But when Brady connected with a wide open Chris Hogan with 63-yard touchdown pass, Burns was removed from game and didn’t see field again, outside of special teams.

While many, including myself, saw that play as a huge mistake by Burns, Mike Tomlin provided a different assessment after the game of the lone touchdown surrendered by the Steelers.

“That play wasn’t even his fault, so I think I want to be clear in saying that,” Tomlin said when asked about pulling Burns after the touchdown. “That play we gave up was not his fault. I accept responsibility that it was our fault. I was too busy arguing a sequence of events prior to that really to make sure we had proper communication in that sequence, so we essentially spotted them seven.”

Ernie
12-20-2018, 06:47 AM
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/12/19/18146830/steelers-news-how-the-steelers-outsmarted-tom-brady-and-bill-belichick-keith-butler-mike-tomlin?fbclid=IwAR3FhHYIHLPN3qgkyG58nmhYnwy3vaJ-DCq11ncxyk4LGa25ObeXorEMVfE

The initial plan appeared to feature a return of Artie Burns to the starting lineup. But when Brady connected with a wide open Chris Hogan with 63-yard touchdown pass, Burns was removed from game and didn’t see field again, outside of special teams.

While many, including myself, saw that play as a huge mistake by Burns, Mike Tomlin provided a different assessment after the game of the lone touchdown surrendered by the Steelers.

“That play wasn’t even his fault, so I think I want to be clear in saying that,” Tomlin said when asked about pulling Burns after the touchdown. “That play we gave up was not his fault. I accept responsibility that it was our fault. I was too busy arguing a sequence of events prior to that really to make sure we had proper communication in that sequence, so we essentially spotted them seven.”

Wow... gotta wonder how much that happens... and at that level...that's totally unacceptable IMO.

Ghost
12-20-2018, 09:02 AM
You should judge by actions, not words. The ridiculous TD happened and Burns never saw the field again on D. Speaks volumes.

NorthCoast
12-20-2018, 10:52 AM
You should judge by actions, not words. The ridiculous TD happened and Burns never saw the field again on D. Speaks volumes.What is not clear in my mind is why the coach continues to protect Burns if how it went down wasn't true.

Oviedo
12-20-2018, 10:54 AM
2019 will be make or break for Burns. If he doesn't show that he has figured things out he may not even make it out of camp. Hopefully he can figure it out like Ike Taylor did. he has physical talent but his technique needs to catch up

papillon
12-20-2018, 10:55 AM
So, Tomlin is not blaming Burns for the TD play, then he must be blaming him for too many men on the field, there were only 3 plays and a penalty. The first play a 4 or 5 yard completion to Burkhead with immediate tackle by Burns (a good play), 2nd play was a 4 or 5 yard gain to Patterson (I think, with a tackle by Haden, a good play), then too many men on the field and then the long TD to Hogan. so, after this series Burns doesn't play again, so that leaves too many men on the field or the TD for which Tomlin is blaming Burns. Tomlin is full of $hit on this one, he's definitely blaming Burns for either play or both and his play time proves it.

Pappy

Steel Maniac
12-20-2018, 10:56 AM
2019 will be make or break for Burns. If he doesn't show that he has figured things out he may not even make it out of camp

Your being very kind. Because I don't think he's on the team in 2019. I think we make a move either in free agency or the draft and shore up his position and thereby moving on from him entirely.

Oviedo
12-20-2018, 10:58 AM
So, Tomlin is not blaming Burns for the TD play, then he must be blaming him for too many men on the field, there were only 3 plays and a penalty. The first play a 4 or 5 yard completion to Burkhead with immediate tackle by Burns (a good play), 2nd play was a 4 or 5 yard gain to Patterson (I think, with a tackle by Haden, a good play), then too many men on the field and then the long TD to Hogan. so, after this series Burns doesn't play again, so that leaves too many men on the field or the TD for which Tomlin is blaming Burns. Tomlin is full of $hit on this one, he's definitely blaming Burns for either play or both and his play time proves it.

Pappy

And why would Tomlin publically play the blame game? Appease fans and make them feel like they are right? From a team perspective how would that help.

I'm sure there is more than enough attention and scrutiny focused on every player during film sessions like it should be. It should not be in public to feed and pacify "internet pirahnas"

papillon
12-20-2018, 11:04 AM
And why would Tomlin publically play the blame game? Appease fans and make them feel like they are right? From a team perspective how would that help.

I'm sure there is more than enough attention and scrutiny focused on every player during film sessions like it should be. It should not be in public to feed and pacify "internet pirahnas"

I didn't hear the presser and I'm not sure how you answer the question without answering the question but Tomlin specifically went out of his way to say that Burns wasn't the problem. The follow up should have been, "Then why didn't he play again?" I realize there are some things that have to stay in-house, but he seemed adamant that Burns wasn't at fault, which leads anyone with an inquisitive mind to wonder why he was benched.

Pappy

Steel Maniac
12-20-2018, 11:17 AM
I didn't hear the presser and I'm not sure how you answer the question without answering the question but Tomlin specifically went out of his way to say that Burns wasn't the problem. The follow up should have been, "Then why didn't he play again?" I realize there are some things that have to stay in-house, but he seemed adamant that Burns wasn't at fault, which leads anyone with an inquisitive mind to wonder why he was benched.

Pappy

Of course Tomlin is going to go out of his way. Because Burns was Tomlin's hand picked/chosen baby. And as usual as has been the case for 12 years, Tomlin doesn't /can't develop any secondary players and so Burns is the usual bust like every secondary player that has been drafted under Tomlin.

Ghost
12-20-2018, 11:20 AM
What is not clear in my mind is why the coach continues to protect Burns if how it went down wasn't true.

Valid question. No coach is benching a player he thinks gives the team the best chance to win, especially against a hated rival with the entire season on the line. Based on the minimal, limited playing times Burns has gotten this year; the staff doesn't believe he gives them the best option to be successful.

To me (and I'm sure some will disagree), this leaves 2 options. The first option is Tomlin is being stubborn and prideful and won't admit Burns ended up being an overreach and was not able to be coached up, which most scouting reports said he would need to reach his potential. Doesn't want to admit to a first round bust.

The second option, and I believe this to be more plausible and true (and I've posted this in other threads) - Tomlin is a genuine good guy. He takes pride in being a decent human being and an authority figure the players can look up to, not just in football situations, but in life in general. It's clear to anyone watching that something is wrong with Burns (either mental or physical). He's gotten considerably worse this season and is a liability every time he's on the field. He has to know it himself. Tomlin's just protecting a guy who's psyche is probabably fragile right now. He's showing true leadership in the face of difficulty.

Steel Maniac
12-20-2018, 11:25 AM
Valid question. No coach is benching a player he thinks gives the team the best chance to win, especially against a hated rival with the entire season on the line. Based on the minimal, limited playing times Burns has gotten this year; the staff doesn't believe he gives them the best option to be successful.

To me (and I'm sure some will disagree), this leaves 2 options. The first option is Tomlin is being stubborn and prideful and won't admit Burns ended up being an overreach and was not able to be coached up, which most scouting reports said he would need to reach his potential. Doesn't want to admit to a first round bust.

The second option, and I believe this to be more plausible and true (and I've posted this in other threads) - Tomlin is a genuine good guy. He takes pride in being a decent human being and an authority figure the players can look up to, not just in football situations, but in life in general. It's clear to anyone watching that something is wrong with Burns (either mental or physical). He's gotten considerably worse this season and is a liability every time he's on the field. He has to know it himself. Tomlin's just protecting a guy who's psyche is probably fragile right now. He's showing true leadership in the face of difficulty.

Ghost, this is football. Not the Ronald McDonald half-way house. There comes a time to make business decisions that are in the best interest of the team. To keep running Burns out there when he clearly doesn't have what it takes mentally to play the position shows there is just more to it then Tomlin being a "good guy".

Northern_Blitz
12-20-2018, 11:58 AM
What is not clear in my mind is why the coach continues to protect Burns if how it went down wasn't true.

I think it's because good coaches don't throw players under the bus in public.

I think it's a mistake to assume anything a coach / player / GM says in a press conference is true.

Northern_Blitz
12-20-2018, 12:01 PM
Ghost, this is football. Not the Ronald McDonald half-way house. There comes a time to make business decisions that are in the best interest of the team. To keep running Burns out there when he clearly doesn't have what it takes mentally to play the position shows there is just more to it then Tomlin being a "good guy".

I think we wouldn't keep putting Burns out there if we had a reasonable option at CB2.

Instead, we need to try to coach up the guys we have and give them opportunities to show that they've gotten better. Especially with a guy who seems to have all the physical tools.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-20-2018, 12:38 PM
I think that this is a case of every man being different. When Ben came out with mild criticism of Washington earlier in the year, it was as if he was acknowledging that this is a guy with the mental fortitude to accept a challenge. Hopefully that is now about to pay off.

Tomlin going out of his way to protect Burns and absolve him of blame is an understanding that Burns has a much more fragile psyche and would not benefit from public criticism.

Keeping Boz but first bringing in competition for him is a determination that he would best respond to a passive-aggressive approach. Let him know that he is in danger of losing his spot if he doesn't turn things around.

Not saying that these are the right or wrong approaches, but I do believe that coaches (and Ben as the case may be) treat players differently, not just based on their status on the team, but also based on who they are and the perceived response to the treatment.

NorthCoast
12-20-2018, 03:27 PM
I think it's because good coaches don't throw players under the bus in public.

I think it's a mistake to assume anything a coach / player / GM says in a press conference is true.Tomlin's comments went way beyond not throwing Burns under the bus. Tomlin went out of his way to say it was his fault. There are other ways he could have said things such as 'we had some confusion', 'we weren't prepared'. Not specifically pointing to any one person.

Steel Maniac
12-20-2018, 03:30 PM
Tomlin's comments went way beyond not throwing Burns under the bus. Tomlin went out of his way to say it was his fault. There are other ways he could have said things such as 'we had some confusion', 'we weren't prepared'. Not specifically pointing to any one person.

Hmmm....................

Steel Maniac
12-20-2018, 03:31 PM
I think we wouldn't keep putting Burns out there if we had a reasonable option at CB2.

Instead, we need to try to coach up the guys we have and give them opportunities to show that they've gotten better. Especially with a guy who seems to have all the physical tools.

I don't see the point sending a guy out there, with the season on the line, that defenses target as soon as he hits the field. Although you could say a defense will target any CB opposite Haden. But Burns hasn't stood up for them (at this point) not to target.