PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Woes

Ghost
12-13-2018, 03:55 PM
Here are the secondary picks in Tomlin/Colbert Era: 2007: (Colbert was Director of Football operation in 2007).

Giving Edmunds a pass as it’s his rookie year; you could argue William Gay was the best pick and that was 11 years ago in 2007. This list is abysmal!

W. Gay
R. Mundy
K. Lewis
J. Burnett
C. Butler
C. Brown
C. Allen
T. Frederick
S. Thomas
T. Hawthorne
S. Richardson
S. Golson
D. Grant
G. Holiman
A. Burns
S. Davis
C. Suttton
B. Allen
T. Edmunds
M. Allen

brothervad
12-13-2018, 04:20 PM
Here are the secondary picks in Tomlin/Colbert Era: 2007: (Colbert was Director of Football operation in 2007).

Giving Edmunds a pass as it’s his rookie year; you could argue William Gay was the best pick and that was 11 years ago in 2007. This list is abysmal!

W. Gay
R. Mundy
K. Lewis
J. Burnett
C. Butler
C. Brown
C. Allen
T. Frederick
S. Thomas
T. Hawthorne
S. Richardson
S. Golson
D. Grant
G. Holiman
A. Burns
S. Davis
C. Suttton
B. Allen
T. Edmunds
M. Allen

Reposting from my thread from last week....it's worse than that their whole approach on D except for DL has been atrocious since 2011

Position
% of total
Starter % of ttl
Depth % of ttl
Other team % of ttl
Out of League % of ttl

D-Line
23%
6%
11%
3%
3%

Linebackers
34%
9%
11%
0%
14%

Secondary
43%
6%
11%
3%
23%

Total
100%
20%
34%
6%
40%

The fact that of the 35 picks on D from 2011 that only 6% start, 11% are on the team and 23%. Given the fact that 43% of all picks are secondary over half are out of the league. These numbers tell you all you need to know. Hell even the LB area has more than 2/5 of every pick out of the league.

The fact is they are missing and missing big on defense and it is creating a vicious cycle of pick...give them a few seasons...fail and pick again.

brothervad

pittpete
12-13-2018, 04:20 PM
Glad we had the luxury of drafting Washington in the 2nd round seeing how much DB talent we had:rolleyes:

Buzz
12-13-2018, 04:55 PM
Glad we had the luxury of drafting Washington in the 2nd round seeing how much DB talent we had:rolleyes:

And Rudolph in the 3rd.

squidkid
12-13-2018, 05:03 PM
hey, just be thankful tomlin is a secondary guru. can you imagine how bad that list would look if he wasnt

SidSmythe
12-13-2018, 06:05 PM
Am I the only person in the world who thinks Carnell Lake is an awful DB coach??

Buzz
12-13-2018, 06:12 PM
Tom Bradley is DB coach this year. Lake left after last season.

Buzz
12-13-2018, 06:22 PM
Now I read that we might be putting Burns back in the starting lineup.

Remove Hilton and insert Burns. I dunno, doesn't sound like a winning recipe. But maybe Artie has had a miraculous turnabout since he last got burned.

Captain Lemming
12-13-2018, 06:32 PM

Remove Hilton and insert Burns. I dunno, doesn't sound like a winning recipe. But maybe Artie has had a miraculous turnabout since he last got burned.

Just occurred to me, In a weird way it might be good.
Artie is better in man.......might indicate no soft zone?

Eddie Spaghetti
12-13-2018, 06:45 PM
putting burns back in reeks of desperation

NorthCoast
12-13-2018, 09:27 PM
Just occurred to me, In a weird way it might be good.
Artie is better in man.......might indicate no soft zone?......better in man but he is abysmal in zone so it really is not all that telling. I am prepared for an afternoon of long hard drinking to take the misery away. Must be great that the Steelers have set the bar so low that Burns can manage to get on the field.

steelz09
12-14-2018, 02:39 PM
Justin Reid, SS, was the 68th overall pick and is outperforming Edmunds. A first rounder.

Edmunds was a major reach.

SteelBucks
12-14-2018, 03:31 PM
putting burns back in reeks of desperation

It’s a sure way of getting a higher draft pick in April.

pittpete
12-14-2018, 04:23 PM
Honestly i think the Steelers probably ask too much from Edmonds..He's still a rookie but looks really slowm at times.
I wish theyd keep him near the LOS and let him make plays.

squidkid
12-14-2018, 05:29 PM

lol.....so thats the move that tomlin said wouldnt be noticeable by the untrained eye?

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2018, 05:41 PM
The Jags released SS Barry Church today...

Steel Maniac
12-14-2018, 06:17 PM
Justin Reid, SS, was the 68th overall pick and is outperforming Edmunds. A first rounder.

Edmunds was a major reach.

Another bust secondary selection by Colbert/ Tomlin.

NorthCoast
12-14-2018, 07:28 PM
Honestly i think the Steelers probably ask too much from Edmonds..He's still a rookie but looks really slowm at times.
I wish theyd keep him near the LOS and let him make plays.That's a good point. It's a reason why LeBeau rarely played rookies. Safety is a tough position to learn on the fly and the Steelers defense is probably not one of the easier ones.

NorthCoast
12-15-2018, 03:40 PM
Rather than secondary, tomorrow comes down to the DL. If they can't get pressure on Brady, the secondary has no chance. Seen enough games with NE this season to know that teams that can hit Brady have a good chance to stay close in the game.

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2018, 04:11 PM
Another bust secondary selection by Colbert/ Tomlin.

For what it's worth, "another bust secondary selection" has shown more up to this point of their respective rookie seasons than future Hall of Famer Troy Bustamalu.

Eddie Spaghetti
12-15-2018, 04:33 PM
I know it makes you feel like a better fan posting that but comparing edmunds to troy is downright silly

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2018, 09:14 PM
I know it makes you feel like a better fan posting that but comparing edmunds to troy is downright silly

Just noting that numerous people wrote off our last first round safety as a bust during his rookie year, and he's due to receive a gold jacket in the very near future.

I don't know what the future holds for our current first round safety...but I remember what Troy looked like in year one, and he was light years away from being a HoF candidate back then.

People who called Troy "Bustamalu" during his rookie year look downright silly now.