PDA

View Full Version : On to New England! It's Cheetahs week.

RuthlessBurgher
12-11-2018, 03:46 PM
Ben Roethlisberger expected to play against Patriots with bruised ribs

2:04 PM ET

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- An inconclusive X-ray left Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on the sideline for most of the second half of Sunday's 24-21 loss in Oakland.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday that the X-ray for Roethlisberger's rib injury was "not clearly readable" during the halftime evaluation, possibly due to dated equipment.

Further tests in Pittsburgh showed multiple rib contusions, though Roethlisberger is expected to play Sunday against the New England Patriots.

This is the latest news in a busy time for the reeling Steelers, who are also trying out kickers in light of Chris Boswell's struggles.

"We never really had a full understanding specifically what the injury was on the stadium site," said Tomlin, whose Steelers have lost three straight. "Because of the lack of information, we thought the best thing to do, the most prudent thing to do was to be only to make Ben available in emergency-like situations."

Roethlisberger exited the game with 10 seconds left in the second quarter and spent most of the second half on the sideline, returning with 5:20 left to orchestrate a touchdown drive. The Raiders countered with a fourth-down score at the goal line, and Boswell slipped on a 40-yard field goal attempt that would have tied the game.

"The team, and when I say the team it's (general manager Kevin) Colbert, it's everybody, was kind of like, 'Let's let this thing play out' because I think it was still the unknown of the injury," said Roethlisberger during his weekly radio show with 93.7 the Fan Pittsburgh. "I think what they were probably worried about was making it worse because we didn't know what the injury was. You want to play unless you think you're going to hurt your team."

Roethlisberger added he told Tomlin he was available if needed.

As for Boswell, his six missed field goals and five missed extra points have forced the Steelers to look elsewhere, but it sounds like Boswell might get another chance this week.

Boswell is 4-of-8 in the Steelers' five losses, but after signing a contract extension in August worth around $20 million, the Steelers would absorb $4.8 million in dead money in 2019 should they cut him.

"We acknowledge that Chris has struggled to find consistent footing," Tomlin said. "We're willing to explore options to give us the very best chances of that ball going through the uprights this weekend. That said, those options include Chris."

In other injury news, the Steelers are hopeful running back James Conner (sprained ankle) can return for Sunday. Backups Jaylen Samuels and Stevan Ridley combined for 32 yards on 16 carries in Oakland.

"He had a really impressive week (of rehab) last week. We'll see what this week holds," Tomlin said.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25509785/ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers-bruised-ribs-expected-play

RuthlessBurgher
12-11-2018, 03:47 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

RB James Conner (ankle) had a productive week of rehab, and coach Mike Tomlin is leaving the door open for him to potentially play vs. Patriots. A lot would have to go right but Tomlin said it's possible.

2h

Ernie
12-11-2018, 03:59 PM
pats just gave a game away to the fins... do you know how likely it is they lose back to back games? I don't feel good at all about it

Northern_Blitz
12-11-2018, 04:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq_2lmCXeDk

The title reminded me of this commercial. Cheetah was a knock-off energy drink in Canada. This video is a promo from Canadian sprinter Ben Johnson. Johnson is famous for beating Carl Lewis in the 100 m (9.79 in 1998), and for testing positive for steroids 3 days after the race.

So, it's pretty funny when he says "I Cheetah all the time."

Maybe we'll get Brady doing commercials like this in 20 years.

SteelBucks
12-11-2018, 04:12 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

RB James Conner (ankle) had a productive week of rehab, and coach Mike Tomlin is leaving the door open for him to potentially play vs. Patriots. A lot would have to go right but Tomlin said it's possible.

2h

In other words, Conner isn’t playing.

flippy
12-11-2018, 04:32 PM
Vegas has the Pats winning 25-24.

That's insane. The Pats should be favored by a lot more. The only logic is this game is fixed and we're winning. No one in their right mind would think the Pats could lose this game. So they have to lose and we win.

But I do like Vegas' style on the 1 point given our kicker :)

flippy
12-11-2018, 04:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq_2lmCXeDk

The title reminded me of this commercial. Cheetah was a knock-off energy drink in Canada. This video is a promo from Canadian sprinter Ben Johnson. Johnson is famous for beating Carl Lewis in the 100 m (9.79 in 1998), and for testing positive for steroids 3 days after the race.

So, it's pretty funny when he says "I Cheetah all the time."

Maybe we'll get Brady doing commercials like this in 20 years.

Would be baller if Juju comes to the game in a Cheetah suit.

Buzz
12-11-2018, 05:02 PM
Patriots 38
Steelers 26

We have the lead going into the 4th quarter, but give the game away with poor in-game decisions, time management, and a crucial turnover. Sound familiar?

AzStillers1989
12-11-2018, 05:14 PM
I am very confident in the Steelers this week.... I don’t know why and I don’t have an explanation. However I think a similar game as week 8 in ‘04 will unfold.

squidkid
12-11-2018, 05:39 PM
Patriots 38
Steelers 26

We have the lead going into the 4th quarter, but give the game away with poor in-game decisions, time management, and a crucial turnover. Sound familiar?

i dont think we will ever have the lead
no threat of a running game.......BB will have a field day game planning us

Northern_Blitz
12-11-2018, 05:41 PM
i dont think we will ever have the lead
no threat of a running game.......BB will have a field day game planning us

I agree that it's hard to be optimistic for this one. We need a Festivus miracle.

http://festivusweb.com/images/festivus-miracle.jpg

squidkid
12-11-2018, 05:53 PM
I agree that it's hard to be optimistic for this one. We need a Festivus miracle.

well weve got the greatest coach ever so im sure he'll draw up a perfect game plan

Steel Maniac
12-11-2018, 05:58 PM
Cant see it; not this week. Team is on a downward spiral and the back 7 is the worse it's been in years. Gonna lose our 6th in a row to them.

Starlifter
12-11-2018, 06:00 PM
They way the Steelers are playing it’s gonna be a bloodbath. The pats know how to stomp an inferior opponent. They don’t play down to the competition. Brady and gronk are going to destroy the defense. We won’t be able to run, AB will be doubled all day. Juju will have some production but it won’t be near enough. Bens ribs may prevent him from finishing the game.

42-7 pats.

And I’m praying to the football gods I have to eat crow on Monday.

RuthlessBurgher
12-11-2018, 06:55 PM

If our offensive and defensive lines are not successful in demonstrating "feats of strength" on Sunday, then posters on this board will spend yet another week chock full of "airing of grievances."

I got a lot of problems with you coaches! And now you're gonna hear about it!

AzStillers1989
12-11-2018, 07:10 PM

I hope you’re hungry. Because that prediction will require a ton of crow!

pittpete
12-11-2018, 07:52 PM
Just my opinion, but we are going to get crushed.
There is no way we can compete with the Patriots especially this year.
My apologies for the defeatist attitude

Mr.wizard
12-11-2018, 08:01 PM
Steelers win in a blowout.

NorthCoast
12-11-2018, 08:26 PM

That's insane. The Pats should be favored by a lot more. The only logic is this game is fixed and we're winning. No one in their right mind would think the Pats could lose this game. So they have to lose and we win.

But I do like Vegas' style on the 1 point given our kicker :)Vegas has had a rough couple of weeks with a few high profile games. Gotta make up for it somehow.

........So Boz might not be safe after all if they are bringing in kickers... unless it is window dressing.

raycafan
12-11-2018, 09:08 PM
Steelers win in a blowout.
My feeling too

Steelwolf
12-11-2018, 09:18 PM
Honestly I don't think the Steelers win this one on Sunday. Makes me sick saying that but damn they have showed they can't finish a game. So what i really want to say is make me a believer we can run table steeler!!

steelz09
12-11-2018, 11:24 PM
pats just gave a game away to the fins... do you know how likely it is they lose back to back games? I don't feel good at all about it

How could anybody feel good about it? Brady has owned us for how many years?

RuthlessBurgher
12-12-2018, 04:10 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Has Steelers coach Mike Tomlin seen any coverages on Rob Gronkowski work? "Yes, but we haven't been a part of it. We're looking to be." Tomlin adds guarding Gronk requires multiple people and multiple techniques.

17h

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (bruised ribs) expects to get rest Wednesday, isn't sure if he'll wear extra protection Sunday vs. the Patriots. "They are not fun to deal with at times, wake you up when you're sleep," he said. "It is what it is. You just go play football. Everyone is banged up. Not just me.”

4h

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Running back James Conner said on WDVE-FM Pittsburgh earlier this week that he has a high ankle sprain and he's rehabbing vigorously to get back on the field. "It's just going to take a little bit of time," he said. Would be quite the impressive feat if he made it back in time for the Patriots game.

12m

RuthlessBurgher
12-12-2018, 05:10 PM
Wednesday, Dec 12, 2018 04:00 PM

Week 15 Injury Report (Patriots)

Teresa Varley

Steelers.com

The Steelers began their preparation for the New England Patriots on Wednesday, taking the field for practice without a few familiar faces out there.

Ben Roethlisberger sat out practice with a rib contusion he suffered on Sunday against the Raiders. Roethlisberger missed much of the second half of the game with the injury but returned late in the fourth quarter.

“We anticipate him being available to us,” said Coach Mike Tomlin as far as Roethlisberger playing this week. “Pain management through the week will probably be the storyline in terms of what he’s able to do from a physical preparation standpoint. But Ben has played a lot of football, and we have been in this situation with him a lot.”

Roethlisberger said on Wednesday morning that the ribs were, ‘fine, feeling good,’ but admitted that they can be bothersome.

“(The ribs) are not fun to deal with at times,” said Roethlisberger. “They wake you up when you are sleeping. You know what it is. You just go out and play football. Everyone in here is banged up, not just me.”

James Conner continues to be sidelined with an ankle sprain. Conner suffered the injury against the Los Angeles Chargers, and missed last week’s game against the Raiders.

“James Conner, with his ankle injury, had a really impressive week last week," said Tomlin. "We’ll see what this week holds, and his availability will be based on his health and then his preparedness. We’ll see about his availability throughout the course of the week and let his availability and then the quality of that be our guide.”

In addition, Sean Davis who is bothered by a knee injury, and Marcus Gilbert, who has missed the past seven games with a knee injury, did not practice today. Anthony Chickillo was limited with an ankle injury.

Maurkice Pouncey didn’t practice, given the day off which is a normal procedure.

The full practice report is below.

Pittsburgh Steelers Participation/Injury Report, Week 15

Wednesday, December 12
QB Ben Roethlisberger (Ribs) - DNP
S Sean Davis (Knee) - DNP
RB James Conner (Ankle) - DNP
LB Anthony Chickillo (Ankle) - Limited
C Maurkice Pouncey (Coach's Decision) - DNP
OT Marcus Gilbert (Knee) - DNP

New England Participation/Injury Report, Week 15

Wednesday, December 12
TE Dwayne Allen (Knee) - Full
CB Stephon Gilmore (Ankle) - Full

https://www.steelers.com/news/week-15-injury-report-patriots

RuthlessBurgher
12-13-2018, 11:07 AM
Steelers’ Stevan Ridley eager to face the team that treated him like “trash”

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 13, 2018, 9:47 AM EST

Steelers running back Stevan Ridley is preparing to face the Patriots on Sunday, and he’d love to show them they were wrong to get rid of him.

Ridley told the Boston Herald that he felt the Patriots treated him like “trash” after he spent his first four seasons in the league in New England. He suffered a serious knee injury in his fourth year, which was also the final year of his contract, and after that he said the Patriots wanted nothing to do with him.

“I was trashed after an injury,” Ridley said. “I’m just going to put it that way. I’m not going to say specifically, but to be a starter for [the Patriots] for four years, to tear my ACL and never get a call back, that’s a tough pill to swallow.”

It’s been a tough road back for Ridley since that injury. In 2015 he played for the Jets and had just 36 carries for 90 yards. In 2016 he played for the Falcons and had just three carries for seven yards. In 2017 with the Steelers he had 26 carries for 108 yards, and this year in Pittsburgh he has 23 carries for 60 yards. Not exactly the kind of production Ridley would hope for, as a player who once had a 1,263-yard season for the Patriots.

Steelers starting running back James Conner is dealing with an ankle injury, so Ridley may get plenty of opportunities to stick it to his old team.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/13/steelers-stevan-ridley-eager-to-face-the-team-that-treated-him-like-trash/

RuthlessBurgher
12-13-2018, 11:12 AM
Patriots' poor run defense has become a massive liability
By Tom E. Curran December 12, 2018 11:49 AM

Over the course of an NFL season, problems crop up.

Teams get a read on what you’re doing. They get in the lab to see how they can counter it.

They get on the field and attack it, next thing you know you’ve got a developing issue.

For good teams, the problems are usually temporary. The coaching staff is smart enough to figure it out, the players have the acumen to understand the tweaks that need to be made and the skill to carry them out.

For the Patriots defense, the most pressing problem facing them currently is knocking down ballcarriers after they are handed the football.

They haven’t been “good” all year at stopping opposing rushing attacks but they were serviceable until the past two weeks.

But it’s suddenly gone from a reality the team can live with to a bona fide concern.

In the first half against Miami, the Dolphins ran the ball 12 times for 142 yards. There was a run-stuff on first down (followed by a 6-yard run on second-down) and a loss of 2 on a second-and-21 play just before the half. Otherwise, every run gained at least 4 yards.

Included in there were a first-and-10 run by Brandon Bolden for 54 yards and another first-and-10 run by Frank Gore that went for 36. There was also a 16-yard run on a second-and-10 by Gore.

A week earlier against the Vikings, carries of 32, 18 and 18 all came on first-and-10 plays.

The Patriots are allowing 4.8 yards per carry for the season. They’ve allowed 625 yards on 110 carries in their last five (5.68 yards per carry).

The last time they had a capable performance against the run was against the Bills and Derek Anderson (19 for 46). That was preceded by games against Kansas City and Chicago when those teams combined for 228 yards on 42 carries. Take out the Bills game because that was less than an NFL-ready offense that day and the Patriots have allowed 5.6 yards per carry in their past seven games.

On a Tuesday conference call, Bill Belichick was asked what he attributed the malaise to.

He noted it was a problem rooted in “team defense.”

“It starts with coaching so we’ve got to do a better job of coaching all aspects of it and executing it,” he stated. “It’s not one play. It’s a combination of our overall execution and consistency. It starts with the coaching.”

That’s not real illuminating.

De facto defensive coordinator Brian Flores was a bit more direct.

“The run game’s been something that we need to do a much better job of coaching, do a better job of playing,” he began. “We’ve got to do a better job of getting off blocks, got to do a better job with our angles in the secondary. It’s something we’re going to spend a lot of time on. It’s something we have spent a lot of time on. Teams are going to keep running the ball or attempting to run the ball until we do something to stop it. Obviously, that’s at the top of my priority list and our priority list as a defensive staff.”

This week, the Patriots play the Steelers. Pittsburgh has run for 206 yards in its past four games combined. Those yards came on 63 carries (3.2 yards per carry). Le’Veon Bell isn’t there. James Conner is hurt. This shouldn’t be that hard.

“It starts up front,” said former Patriots captain and linebacker Jerod Mayo on Quick Slants The Podcast. “It always starts up front. (Defensive tackle) Malcom (Brown) isn’t playing well. He was getting pushed out of there left and right. They have to fix it. And the way you fix it in the short term, the way you put a Band-Aid on that, what do you do?

You rock a safety down. You run pressures. And what happens after that? You’re leaving guys out on an island. So it’s like pick your poison.

“The D-Line is playing at an F level,” Mayo added. “Whether your run defense is good or bad, it starts at the front.”

Lawrence Guy and Trey Flowers have been the Patriots' best defensive linemen this season. Adam Butler has played well. But the work of the 6-2, 320-pound Malcom Brown and 6-2, 345-pound Danny Shelton has been forgettable.

Shelton, a disappointment in Cleveland, was acquired to be a replacement for Alan Branch. The mercurial, 6-6, 350-pound Branch joined the Patriots in 2014 as Vince Wilfork’s Patriots career was winding down. He was a more than adequate replacement for Big Vince.

Shelton can’t even be mentioned in the same sentence as Branch, who was occasionally dominant.

“We’ll practice to get it better,” promised Flores. “We’re on the players to get it better and I think they’ve got the mindset that they know they’ve got to get it. We’ve got to get that part of our defense. It’s got to be much better than it’s been, and hopefully we do that.

“It will start (Wednesday) in practice … We’ve talked about it, we’ve corrected it and we’ve just got to go out there and produce and simply play better in the run game... It comes back to fundamentals, technique, communication, playing physical and really as a team, just playing better run defense and obviously putting that on ourselves. It starts with me and us as coaches, and we’ll do everything in our power to right those wrongs.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/patriots-poor-run-defense-has-become-massive-liability

RuthlessBurgher
12-13-2018, 11:27 AM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

James Conner politely declined comment in the locker room on his way to treatment. Tomlin said Conner has been vigorously rehabbing. Conner said on WDVE this week he has a high ankle sprain.

18h

RuthlessBurgher
12-13-2018, 11:29 AM

But I do like Vegas' style on the 1 point given our kicker :)

David Purdum
ESPN Staff Writer

Rivers Casino in Pittsburgh, located within walking distance of Heinz Field, is aiming to open its sportsbook Saturday. The casino will hold a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 2 p.m., Thursday, followed by the first of two test periods that runs until midnight Thursday. The second test period will take place from noon to 10 p.m., Friday. Pending approval from Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board, regular operations will begin at 8 a.m., Saturday. The Pittsburgh Steelers will host the New England Patriots at Heinz Field on Sunday. The Patriots are 2-point favorites.

5h

Steel Maniac
12-13-2018, 11:42 AM
Just thinking about this game makes me sad. Getting the final nails put in our coffin by the Pats and then the Saints angers me the more I think about it.

pittpete
12-13-2018, 04:28 PM
IMO they should give Ridley the ball more as i feel he can run between the tackles.
Samuels did too much stuttering and looked to bounce things outside the tackles consistently.
Samuels was much better on the screens and check downs.

RuthlessBurgher
12-13-2018, 05:08 PM
IMO they should give Ridley the ball more as i feel he can run between the tackles.
Samuels did too much stuttering and looked to bounce things outside the tackles consistently.
Samuels was much better on the screens and check downs.

Use Ridley like they use Sony Michel.

Use Samuels like they use James White.

RuthlessBurgher
12-13-2018, 05:18 PM
Thursday, Dec 13, 2018 04:01 PM

Teresa Varley

Steelers.com

Preparation for Sunday’s game against the New England Patriots continued on Thursday, and there was good news as Ben Roethlisberger was back on the practice field as a full participant.

Roethlisberger missed practice on Wednesday, still recovering from a hit he took late in the first half against the Raiders that resulted in rib contusions. Roethlisberger missed much of the second half of the game with the injury but returned late in the fourth quarter.

Roethlisberger has indicated from the get-go that he would be ready to play this week, and knowing the importance of the game in the playoff hunt his desire to be out there comes as no surprise.

“It’s always a big game,” said Roethlisberger. “They’re the best for a reason and everyone wants to go after them. They are fun, they are physical, a big challenge for us. It hasn’t been a big challenge for them, but for us it has been.

“The Patriots are one of the best teams for a reason. We are not the only team that has issues with them. They’re that good. The past is the past, we can only focus on this week. We realize what’s at stake. Not panic. It’s not going to get any easier.

While Roethlisberger was back, James Conner continues to be sidelined with an ankle sprain. Conner suffered the injury against the Los Angeles Chargers, and missed last week’s game against the Raiders.

With Conner out it appeared the ground game struggled with just 40 yards rushing, but looking at the bigger picture is the key. Jaylen Samuels was used in the passing game more, with many of his catches seven catches for 64 yards being short passes and yards after catch.

“You look at a run and pass, a lot of people are runners when you hand the ball to the running back, we look at our short screens, some of our short passes as run game alternative,” said Roethlisberger. “I think those numbers get a little skewed sometimes when you look at kind of what technically is a run and what technically is a pass. We need to have efficient plays regardless of what they are.”

Safety Sean Davis was back at practice on Thursday as a full participant after missing the previous day with a knee injury. Davis will be a key component this week covering Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski, who got the best of the safety in a meeting at Heinz Field last year.

“I have grown from that,” said Davis. “I have become a better player. I feel like as a unit we are growing. This is a going to be a good game to test us. We are going to get a real challenge again. I am looking forward to the matchup.”

Anthony Chickillo, who was limited with an ankle injury on Wednesday, was a full participant. Marcus Gilbert, who has missed the past seven games with a knee injury, did not practice for the second straight day.

Thursday, December 13
QB Ben Roethlisberger (Ribs) - Full
S Sean Davis (Knee) - Full
LB Anthony Chickillo (Ankle) - Full
C Maurkice Pouncey (Coach's Decision) - Full

Wednesday, December 12

Thursday, December 13

Wednesday, December 12

fordfixer
12-13-2018, 11:04 PM
Steelers 5 *’s 3

winwithd
12-13-2018, 11:13 PM
Assuming turnovers are even..... Steelers 41 - * 's 31:tt2:tt2:tt2

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2018, 12:03 PM
Josh Gordon has become “reliable” for Patriots

Posted by Darin Gantt on December 14, 2018, 8:05 AM EST

Plenty of words have been used to describe Josh Gordon over the years, using some variation of “talented” or “explosive” or “enigmatic.”

He’s added to the lexicon since joining the Patriots this year.

Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski expanded the vocabularly this week, describing Gordon as “reliable” — which probably makes people in Cleveland spit their coffee all over their screen this morning.

“He’s brought a lot,” Gronkowski said, via Phil Perry of NBC Sports Boston. “The way he just plays. The way he catches the ball, gets that burst, gets us the first downs when we need it. Just another player on our team that’s reliable whenever we need him. Just great to have him. Great to have him as part of the team.”

The transformation of Gordon has been remarkable, and he’s talked about the differences in things as subtle as his conditioning. Along the way, he’s also brought the expected vertical element to the Patriots passing game, leading the team in receiving yards despite not joining the team until late September. He’s also leading all receivers in yards per catch (18.0) since Week Four.

“I would say in the first week when he got out there playing the game,” Gronkowski said. “Just the way he’s been working every single week, week in week out, just trying to get better, you see it on the practice field and then you see it in the game. It’s a great guy to have out there and just a phenomenal athlete, too.”

That part we knew. The idea of Gordon as an accountable player is a new one, and adds to the Patriots’ reputation for reclamation projects.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/14/josh-gordon-has-become-reliable-for-patriots/

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2018, 04:11 PM
James Conner practices Friday, listed as questionable

Posted by Josh Alper on December 14, 2018, 2:53 PM EST

Running back James Conner missed last Sunday’s loss to the Raiders with an ankle injury and it looked like he was shaping up to be inactive again this weekend when he sat out of practice on Wednesday and Thursday.

The prospects for Conner’s return are a bit brighter on Friday. He was on the practice field to close out the week of work ahead of Sunday’s game against the Patriots.

Conner was a limited participant and he’s been listed as questionable for the game. Jaylen Samuels and Stevan Ridley are the other backs for Pittsburgh and the team could certainly use all hands on deck as they try to beat the Patriots this weekend.

Wide receiver Ryan Switzer is also listed as questionable with an ankle injury. He made his first appearance on the injury report of the week on Friday as a limited participant. Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger does not have an injury designation after injuring his ribs in last Sunday’s game. He returned to practice on Thursday.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/14/james-conner-practices-friday-listed-as-questionable/

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2018, 04:13 PM
Friday, Dec 14, 2018 02:38 PM

Teresa Varley

Steelers.com

The Steelers head into Sunday’s game against the New England Patriots at Heinz Field with a few question marks.

James Conner, who missed practice on Wednesday and Thursday with an ankle sprain, was limited in practice on Friday and is listed as questionable.

Conner missed last week’s game against the Raiders, and without him in there the running back duties fell into the hands of Jaylen Samuels and Stevan Ridley. Both will be ready to go this week if Conner can’t and Ridley is looking forward to facing his former team.

“I am fired up about it,” said Ridley. “I am a competitor. I am going to compete. To have this opportunity to be out there on the field going against my old team. It’s a challenge anybody would want if you have played in this business and competed your whole life.

“This game has been circled on the schedule for a long time. It has.”

With Conner missing the Raiders game it appeared the ground game struggled with just 40 yards rushing. But it’s about the bigger picture, and when it comes to having faith in the running game offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner isn’t concerned because of how they utilize packages.

“The run game is efficient based on what?” said offensive coordinator Randy Fichtner. “How many times you actually hand it to him, or how many times that guy got yards in the game, got first downs? You know, we used No. 89 (Vance McDonald) as a running back last week, and he caught a screen for like 30 (yards). Is that a screen or a run? I mean, that’s kind of how you have to look at it. I look at it as how do we utilize the five players we have in an attempt to get first downs to make touchdowns. You can call it rush, you can call it pass, but we have an actual run play, a draw play, that’s blocked the same way as a screen play. One time we flipped it, one time we didn’t.

“I don’t really look at it that way. I look at it as how do we move the chains, how do we put points on the board. Where we failed last week was we didn’t put enough points on the board.”

Receiver Ryan Switzer was added to the injury report on Friday, limited with an ankle injury. He is also questionable for Sunday’s game.

Ben Roethlisberger, who missed practice on Wednesday still recovering from a hit he took late in the first half against the Raiders that resulted in rib contusions, was a full participant in practice the last two days and is ready to go against the Patriots.

Roethlisberger has indicated from the get-go that he would be ready to play this week and knowing the importance of the game in the playoff hunt his desire to be out there comes as no surprise.

“It’s always a big game,” said Roethlisberger. “They’re the best for a reason and everyone wants to go after them. The Patriots are one of the best teams for a reason. We are not the only team that has issues with them. They’re that good. The past is the past, we can only focus on this week. We realize what’s at stake. Not panic. It’s not going to get any easier.”

Safety Sean Davis practiced on Thursday and Friday after missing Wednesday with a knee injury. Davis will be a key component this week covering Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski, who got the best of the safety in a meeting at Heinz Field last year.

“I have grown from that,” said Davis. “I have become a better player. I feel like as a unit we are growing. This is a going to be a good game to test us. We are going to get a real challenge again. I am looking forward to the matchup.”

Anthony Chickillo, who was limited with an ankle injury on Wednesday, was a full participant on Thursday and Friday.

Marcus Gilbert, who has missed the past seven games with a knee injury, did not practice again on Friday and has been ruled out for Sunday’s game.

Game Status
WR Ryan Switzer (Ankle) - Questionable
RB James Conner (Ankle) - Questionable
OT Marcus Gilbert (Knee) - Out

Friday, December 14
WR Ryan Switzer (Ankle) - Limited
RB James Conner (Ankle) - Limited

Thursday, December 13

Wednesday, December 12

Game Status
None Listed

Friday, December 14

Thursday, December 13

Wednesday, December 12

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2018, 04:52 PM
Belichick: Past domination of Steelers won’t matter on Sunday

Posted by Mike Florio on December 14, 2018, 3:27 PM EST

Patriots coach Bill Belichick doesn’t always answer press conference questions in a word or a grunt. But it’s entertaining when he does.

Regarding his record against the Steelers and against coach Mike Tomlin, Belichick was asked on Friday whether that tells us anything that could happen when the teams get together this week.

“Nope,” Belichick said. “Zero.”

Belichick has won 11 of 14 games against the Steelers and seven of nine against Tomlin. Last year, the fundamental differences between New England’s and Pittsburgh’s approach to situational football became abundantly clear when the Steelers had more than three minutes during replay review of a potential game-winning touchdown to devise a sequence of plays if the score was overturned (it was), but the Steelers’ offense became confused and seemed woefully unprepared following the first play after the reversal ended.

Of course, situational football became a problem for the Patriots against the Dolphins, both at the end of the half when Tom Brady took a sack near the Miami goal line with no time outs and at the end of the game when Rob Gronkowski did his best (worst) Kramer impersonation, bumbling to the ground as he tried in vain to keep Dolphins running back Kenyan Drake from scoring.

So how does Belichick get his team to forget about that one and focus on the next one?

“Yeah, it’s every week,” Belichick said. “That’s the way it is every week, turn the page and move on to the next team.”

That’s better than saying “nobody died,” which was Belichick’s go-to when appearing on WEEI earlier this week. Regardless, the loss may have left enough of a nasty taste in New England’s mouth to make them even more motivated to extend the dominance that Belichick has demonstrated during his 19 years as the team’s coach.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/14/belichick-past-domination-of-steelers-wont-matter-on-sunday/

RuthlessBurgher
12-15-2018, 04:14 PM
By Michael David Smith
Dec 15, 2018, 2:46 PM EST
Report: James Conner unlikely to play vs. Patriots

With the Steelers facing their biggest game of the season on Sunday, they’re expecting to be without their top ball carrier.

Steelers running back James Conner is unlikely to play on Sunday against the Patriots, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

Conner has been nursing an ankle injury, but after he returned to practice on Friday and was listed as questionable, there was some optimism that he could go against New England. That apparently will not be the case.

Stevan Ridley, the Steelers running back who said he wanted revenge against the Patriots after they “trashed” him following his knee injury, will likely get plenty of opportunities with Conner hurt.

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2018, 12:23 PM
By Mike Florio
Dec 16, 2018, 9:50 AM EST
Patriots take a very large page from the college playbook

For years, college football teams have been using large poster boards with various photos and images to communicate with the players on the field. Last weekend, the Patriots dipped a toe in that specific pool.

As explained by Phil Perry of NBCSportsBoston.com, the Patriots last week at Miami held up a three-by-three-foot board with the number 84 in red and an image of the Road Runner. The message came prior to a New England punt, and it apparently was a message to receiver/running back Cordarrelle Patterson to stay on the field and serve as a gunner.

But it raises a real question about whether the Patriots (and, inevitably if the Patriots do it, other teams) will be begin utilizing large boards with simple images that send complex signals.

Given that the offense and defense both use direct communication systems from the sideline to the player with the green-dotted helmet (quarterback on offense and, typically, middle linebacker on defense), the boards become most relevant on special-teams plays. And for Patterson, who takes plenty of reps of offense, it makes sense to give him a clear, visible message before he runs to the sideline, only to learn that he needs to run back to the field.

Beyond special teams, the boards would have limited application. In some situations, like running or defending against a two-minute offense, it could be a nice supplement. And if the Patriots are going to cross that bridge, others will surely follow. Especially since those boards could become potential revenue generators based on the images and logos selected by the teams.

I’m kidding about that last part. I think.

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2018, 04:04 PM
Sunday, Dec 16, 2018 02:55 PM
Steelers inactives for Week 15 vs. Patriots

Teresa Varley
STEELERS.COM

The Steelers head into today’s game against the New England Patriots at Heinz Field without running back James Conner.
Conner, who missed practice on Wednesday and Thursday with an ankle sprain, was limited in practice on Friday. He was listed as questionable on Friday and downgraded to doubtful on Saturday.
He is inactive today.

Conner missed last week’s game against the Raiders, and without him in there the running back duties fell into the hands of Jaylen Samuels and Stevan Ridley. Both are ready to go this week and Ridley is looking forward to facing his former team.
“I am fired up about it,” said Ridley. “I am a competitor. I am going to compete. To have this opportunity to be out there on the field going against my old team. It’s a challenge anybody would want if you have played in this business and competed your whole life.

“This game has been circled on the schedule for a long time. It has.”

Eli Rogers was activated on Saturday to the 53-man roster. Ryan Switzer injured his ankle in practice on Friday, and Rogers’ activation gives the team a safety net at receiver and as a returner.

“Eli is a shifty dude, a very quick, very smart dude playing inside,” said JuJu Smith-Schuster. “He also does punt returns, so he’s going to help out a lot.”
Rogers had been on the physically unable to perform list all season but returned to practice on Nov. 28.

“I’m excited to get him back,” said Antonio Brown. “He’s a great asset for the team.”
Both Rogers and Switzer are active today.
Chris Boswell will be the Steelers kicker today. Boswell missed two field goals against the Raiders last week, and the Steelers brought several kickers in this week for tryouts. In the end, Boswell won out.

“That was a unique experience, but sometimes tough circumstances put you in unique situations,” said Coach Mike Tomlin. “I thought it was necessary. I also thought it was helpful from this standpoint: the position that Chris Boswell was in, he needed to earn his way into the stadium this weekend. We had an opportunity to bring in some credible kickers. We worked those guys out.

“Boz did his normal work during the week, and then we put ourselves in the very best position we could be in as we walked into the stadium today, which is having the ball going through the uprights. We were open to that being Boz, and we were open to that not being Boz. I think from that perspective it was fair given the situation we were in. He delivered to a level of expectation, and so now we walk into the stadium doing more than hoping the ball goes through the uprights.”

The rest of the Steelers inactives this week are: Mason Rudolph, Marcus Allen, Brian Allen, Zach Banner, Ola Adeniyi and L.T. Walton.

Steelers Inactives
No. 2 QB Mason Rudolph
No. 27 S Marcus Allen
No. 29 CB Brian Allen
No. 30 RB James Conner
No. 72 OT Zach Banner
No. 92 LB Olasunkanmi Adeniyi
No. 96 DE L.T. Walton

Patriots Inactives
No. 22 DB Obi Melifonwu
No. 29 DB Duke Dawson
No. 47 TE Jacob Hollister
No. 58 DE Keionta Davis
No. 66 C James Ferentz
No. 71 DT Danny Shelton
No. 95 DE Derek Rivers

NorthCoast
12-16-2018, 04:36 PM
If it comes down to a FG to win the game do you really trust Boswell to do it?

fordfixer
12-16-2018, 08:58 PM
I do now.......

Starlifter
12-16-2018, 11:14 PM
They way the Steelers are playing it’s gonna be a bloodbath. The pats know how to stomp an inferior opponent. They don’t play down to the competition. Brady and gronk are going to destroy the defense. We won’t be able to run, AB will be doubled all day. Juju will have some production but it won’t be near enough. Bens ribs may prevent him from finishing the game.

42-7 pats.

had to quote myself while I'm preparing the crow. why wait until monday?

but if I were honest, I thought Boz would miss again and I thought the D would allow a game winning touchdown. so happy to be wrong. Cautiously optimistic against NO - but one game (no matter how well played) does a defense make. I don't think 17 points will cut it against Brees either. But, today was great - and I'm stoked the Steelers pulled it off!

Steelwolf
12-16-2018, 11:23 PM
What a great win and much needed but most would be joking if we all didn't think Brady would drive down and tie with 2 minutes left. Can we beat the saints? Tune in lol

RuthlessBurgher
12-17-2018, 09:21 PM
Stephon Gilmore accuses Antonio Brown of a “super dirty” play
By Michael David Smith | Dec 17, 2018, 3:21 PM EST

Patriots cornerback Stephon Gilmore engaged in some pushing and shoving with Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown on Sunday, and afterward Gilmore said Brown had engaged in dirty play.

“He did a little dirty move, grabbed my helmet, threw me down,” Gilmore said, via NESN. “That was super dirty. But other than that, just competing on the field.”

Although the Steelers won the game, Gilmore played well in his individual matchup with Brown and came out of it proud of his play.

“It was fun,” Gilmore said. “He’s one of the best receivers today. One thing that he’s good at — it’s not his routes — but his [timing] . . . when he makes his move. He’s very good at it.”

It was a good battle between the two of them, one we may see again in the playoffs.

RuthlessBurgher
12-18-2018, 05:10 PM
Josh McDaniels: “No ulterior motive” to Josh Gordon’s absence on final play

Posted by Mike Florio on December 18, 2018, 3:09 PM EST

During Sunday’s loss to the Steelers, New England receiver Josh Gordon didn’t do much, catching only one pass for 19 yards. More surprisingly, Gordon wasn’t on the field for the final play from scrimmage for a Patriots team trailing by seven.

It was fourth and 15 from the Steelers 21, a snap that came after Pittsburgh called a timeout. But there was no Gordon among the targets available to Tom Brady.

“We had just kind of run quite a few plays in a row,” offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels said Tuesday when asked about the situation by reporters. “I know there was a timeout there before that. Both of those guys have worked at that spot and in that type of a situation, and based on what we were doing, we made the choice to go with [Cordarrelle Patterson] at that point — no ulterior motive on that at all. Just put a fresh guy in to go in there and do something on the last play to see if we could get into the end zone, and it is what it is.”

It was what it was, a failed effort to tie the game, and an outcome that has many wondering whether the Patriots have lost their mojo. From the collapse of situational football against the Dolphins to the undisciplined play against the Steelers (14 penalties is a staggering amount of flags for a Bill Belichick team) to increasing questions about Father Time making his final kick toward Tom Brady, the Patriots are now guaranteed to have fewer than 12 wins for the first time since 2009, and they’re in danger of not having a bye for the first time since that same season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/18/josh-mcdaniels-no-ulterior-motive-to-josh-gordons-absence-on-final-play/

RuthlessBurgher
12-20-2018, 11:09 AM
Josh Gordon steps away from football, again

Posted by Mike Florio on December 20, 2018, 10:02 AM EST

For the second time this year, and for the first time with the Patriots, receiver Josh Gordon has voluntarily stepped away from football, amid reports that it’s really not voluntary.

“I take my mental health very seriously at this point to ensure I remain able to perform at the highest level,” Gordon said in a post on social media. “I have recently felt like I could have a better grasp on things mentally. With that said, I will be stepping away from the football field for a bit to focus on my mental health. I would like to thank Coach Belichick, Mr. Kraft, as well as countless others within the Patriots organization for their continued support. I want to thank my fans for their support as well as I continue down the path to getting back to 100%.”

It’s unclear what “for a bit” means, but the NFL’s in-house media arm is reporting that Gordon currently faces another indefinite suspension under the substance-abuse policy — despite the high degree of confidentiality that applies to the substance-abuse policy, supposedly.

Gordon missed all of 2016 and 2017 due to violations of the substance-abuse policy. The Browns abruptly traded him to the Patriots after Week One, a move that came after Gordon voluntarily delayed reporting to training camp, again citing a desire to address issues relating to his mental health.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/20/josh-gordon-steps-away-from-football-again/

Steel Maniac
12-20-2018, 11:09 AM
If it comes down to a FG to win the game do you really trust Boswell to do it?

No.

12 misses; most by any kicker in the NFL this year.

Steel Maniac
12-20-2018, 11:13 AM
Josh Gordon steps away from football, again

Posted by Mike Florio on December 20, 2018, 10:02 AM EST

For the second time this year, and for the first time with the Patriots, receiver Josh Gordon has voluntarily stepped away from football, amid reports that it’s really not voluntary.

“I take my mental health very seriously at this point to ensure I remain able to perform at the highest level,” Gordon said in a post on social media. “I have recently felt like I could have a better grasp on things mentally. With that said, I will be stepping away from the football field for a bit to focus on my mental health. I would like to thank Coach Belichick, Mr. Kraft, as well as countless others within the Patriots organization for their continued support. I want to thank my fans for their support as well as I continue down the path to getting back to 100%.”

It’s unclear what “for a bit” means, but the NFL’s in-house media arm is reporting that Gordon currently faces another indefinite suspension under the substance-abuse policy — despite the high degree of confidentiality that applies to the substance-abuse policy, supposedly.

Gordon missed all of 2016 and 2017 due to violations of the substance-abuse policy. The Browns abruptly traded him to the Patriots after Week One, a move that came after Gordon voluntarily delayed reporting to training camp, again citing a desire to address issues relating to his mental health.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/20/josh-gordon-steps-away-from-football-again/

I think he's done.