PDA

View Full Version : Fire bozwell now

KYPITTFAN
12-09-2018, 08:40 PM
This thread is about BOZ only. Punk has missed 5 point after's and now 6 field goals. He has directly cost us games.

SteelBucks
12-09-2018, 08:45 PM
I want to complain about everything right now. Problems everywhere

SidSmythe
12-09-2018, 08:52 PM
I want to complain about everything right now. Problems everywhere

While that is true - Missing FGs has an effect on the entire team.

If a guy is that bad the playoffs are a waset of time bc he's gonna fold like a tent when it matters and games come down to FGs

Terrapin
12-09-2018, 08:55 PM
Well this is at least 3 games he's cost us.

flippy
12-09-2018, 08:57 PM
I blame Tomlin for letting him kick. We should have gone for it both times we tried to kick. And if we went for 3 2 pt attempts, we could have already had a tie game.

Plus we would have had to go for instead of kicking a FG.

Ernie
12-09-2018, 08:57 PM
such a shame. the kid was absolutely dynamite last yr. his confidence is totally gone

Terrapin
12-09-2018, 09:00 PM
Bring back Jeff Reed. I don't care where he pisses or how many hot dog machines he beats up

brothervad
12-09-2018, 09:25 PM
Don't we have like $14 million + in cap space right now to sign a kicker for league min?

brothervad

Ernie
12-09-2018, 09:32 PM
maybe thats the shakeup this team needs to put every one on notice! lmao.... sign a new kicker

pittpete
12-09-2018, 09:34 PM
Bring back Jeff Reed. I don't care where he pisses or how many hot dog machines he beats up

I saw Reed the other night at the William Penn Hotel.
Lets say if he weighed 250lbs that would be generous.:p

Ernie
12-09-2018, 09:35 PM

so does Sebastian janicowski. (sp).. lol

Ernie
12-09-2018, 09:36 PM
pay the man!!

pittpete
12-09-2018, 09:37 PM
But Janikowski is 10 inches taller than him..LOL:)

Ernie
12-09-2018, 09:38 PM
But Janikowski is 10 inches taller than him..LOL:)

good point.. I'm just sayin big guys need lovin too.. lol.. pay the man

Mr.wizard
12-10-2018, 07:35 AM
I think you have to strongly consider moving on from Boswell even though you gave him a contract.

Ghost
12-10-2018, 10:38 AM
Bos would be a dead money cap hit of $4.8 M next season if he's cut. Add in the salary for a new kicker and you're talking over $5 M in the kicking position. That's tough with the numerous holes needed to be filled. On the other hand you've got a kicker who's a total liability when he comes on to kick. Just a terrible spot to be in.

squidkid
12-10-2018, 11:25 AM
can he be put on IR?
bring in some retread for the last few weeks on the cheap and get boswell off the field.
maybe he could start some psycho crap early, work on his technique and be ready to compete next training camp.
he isnt helping the team or himself being on the 53 man roster

SteelerOfDeVille
12-10-2018, 11:50 AM
such a shame. the kid was absolutely dynamite last yr. his confidence is totally gone
yup. he was so clutch

Northern_Blitz
12-10-2018, 11:50 AM

The difference between this year and last year is crazy.

squidkid
12-10-2018, 11:56 AM
The difference between this year and last year is crazy.

hmmm, what changed?
oh thats right, he got his money

Starlifter
12-10-2018, 12:14 PM
he's like a golfer with the shanks. it's totally in his head. was it the money? who cares? a kicker that is overthinking every kick isn't a kicker at all. he's a liability.

4 million, 5 million - if you're going to hold your season hostage over that amount, you deserve to be home in january.

Mick'sTeam
12-10-2018, 02:44 PM

In that case, let's put him in at LB and line him up against their #1 WR!

Ghost
12-10-2018, 03:03 PM
Bring in a few guys this week to see if any can make it work at Heinz. If you find one then stick Bos on IR and tell the NFL he "sprained his ankle" on the bad turf in Oakland. Make him use crutches at the next game. Give him the off season to see if he can get rid of the yips b/f losing the cap hit.

flippy
12-10-2018, 03:57 PM
Boz is #32 in FG %. Dead last. And he's missed the most XPs.

If any other kicker has been fired this year, Boz should be too.

He should never kick again. I can't find a kicker that bad in recent memory.

The only kickers I can come up with that were worse are Paul Hornung who was a HoF RB that missed 26 FGs in 1964. And Bob Timberlake who missed 14 FGs in a row in 1965.

squidkid
12-10-2018, 04:01 PM
this is a classic example of why contracts in the nfl should not be guaranteed and teams are pretty stupid for giving out huge signing bonuses

Steel Maniac
12-10-2018, 05:26 PM
this is a classic example of why contracts in the nfl should not be guaranteed and teams are pretty stupid for giving out huge signing bonuses

Boswell got his contract and went belly up! LMFAO!!

AzStillers1989
12-10-2018, 05:31 PM
Boswell got his contract and went belly up! LMFAO!!

Lmao it’s absolutely insane how true this is.

Mr.wizard
12-10-2018, 07:46 PM
Bos would be a dead money cap hit of $4.8 M next season if he's cut. Add in the salary for a new kicker and you're talking over $5 M in the kicking position. That's tough with the numerous holes needed to be filled. On the other hand you've got a kicker who's a total liability when he comes on to kick. Just a terrible spot to be in.

Ya It is a tough pill to swallow but he is really hurting the team, I think you have to consider it.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-10-2018, 08:49 PM
With Boz on the squad next season, he has a cap hit of $4.2M. Cut him and sign a kicker for even a $1M cap hit will cost $5.8M. You don't hold your team hostage over $1.6M. You can't even say that you will bring in competition and make him prove himself at camp. He has a $2M roster bonus, and that is usually triggered either Mar. 1 or June 1. Decision to cut him loose should be made before the bonus takes effect.

pittpete
12-10-2018, 08:51 PM
While we're at it, how about bringing in a punter also.

Eich
12-11-2018, 10:17 AM
You have to think the Steelers will do SOMETHING, right? Surely they can't trot Boz out there on Sunday against the cheaters?

Northern_Blitz
12-11-2018, 11:06 AM
With Boz on the squad next season, he has a cap hit of $4.2M. Cut him and sign a kicker for even a $1M cap hit will cost $5.8M. You don't hold your team hostage over $1.6M. You can't even say that you will bring in competition and make him prove himself at camp. He has a $2M roster bonus, and that is usually triggered either Mar. 1 or June 1. Decision to cut him loose should be made before the bonus takes effect.

Does the cap penalty change depending on when he's cut? If we can spread that penalty out, it's easier to cut him.

Ghost
12-11-2018, 11:08 AM
Does the cap penalty change depending on when he's cut? If we can spread that penalty out, it's easier to cut him.

It doesn't. The way his new contract was structured he's a $4.8 hit against the cap in 2019 if he's cut.

Steel Maniac
12-11-2018, 11:13 AM
Bozwell needs to be let go. End of story.

AzStillers1989
12-11-2018, 11:58 AM
It doesn't. The way his new contract was structured he's a $4.8 hit against the cap in 2109 if he's cut.

well that’s not too bad. Cap hit won’t take effect for 91 more years.

SteelBucks
12-11-2018, 12:14 PM
IMO, this season is already lost. They’ll wait until the offseason and bring competition in to camp. Best kicker wins....

Ghost
12-11-2018, 12:29 PM
well that’s not too bad. Cap hit won’t take effect for 91 more years.

I sincerely laughed!!

SteelBucks
12-11-2018, 02:10 PM
Well Tomlin said he’s bringing in kickers this week for tryouts, including Boswell. Sounds like it’s best man wins the job.

Steel Maniac
12-11-2018, 02:11 PM
Tomlin confirmed that he's bringing in some kickers this week.

SteelBucks
12-11-2018, 02:36 PM
Can’t wait to see this lineup. Boswell vs Scobee vs Jeff Reed

flippy
12-11-2018, 03:29 PM
It'd be cool if every time Boz kicks from now on if he's on the team if all Steelers fans turned their back to the field.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-11-2018, 03:35 PM

If they bring him back to camp and cut him after camp then he will count $1.2M in 2019 and $3.6M in 2020. You can also cut him before June 1 with a post June 1 designation, but I don't know if you can do that without paying out the $2M roster bonus. It doesn't really matter though because thanks to a few factors including the rollover of $14M+ from Bell not returning the team has enough cap space to absorb this hit.

Northern_Blitz
12-11-2018, 04:12 PM
If they bring him back to camp and cut him after camp then he will count $1.2M in 2019 and $3.6M in 2020. You can also cut him before June 1 with a post June 1 designation, but I don't know if you can do that without paying out the $2M roster bonus. It doesn't really matter though because thanks to a few factors including the rollover of $14M+ from Bell not returning the team has enough cap space to absorb this hit.

Thanks. I think it would suck to use the extra cap space to cut the kicker we just signed, but he's probably lost us 2-3 games this year (or prevented us from going to OT).

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-11-2018, 05:16 PM
Thanks. I think it would suck to use the extra cap space to cut the kicker we just signed, but he's probably lost us 2-3 games this year (or prevented us from going to OT).

Teams cut player mistakes every year. The Steelers don't as often so we aren't really that used to it, but it happens. As I had said earlier, don't really think of it as $4.8M. If you find a reliable kicker for say $1.8M then that is $2.4M cheaper than Boz was schedule to count next year. The net effect is then only half of the $4.8M we keep talking about.

I find it interesting when you look back to how Boz ended up in Pittsburgh. Suisham was the Steelers very reliable kicker until he was injured in 2015. The Steelers signed the "name" guy in Josh Scobee to take his place. We all remember how that worked out, so they instead found this nobody off the street named Boswell. None of us knew who this guy was. He turned out great...for awhile. If we can find a guy who is steady then it is a huge upgrade, and there will be an entire off-season to try out guys.

squidkid
12-11-2018, 05:34 PM
Tomlin confirmed that he's bringing in some kickers this week.

shocking. anything to keep the spot light off him

Northern_Blitz
12-11-2018, 05:49 PM
Teams cut player mistakes every year. The Steelers don't as often so we aren't really that used to it, but it happens. As I had said earlier, don't really think of it as $4.8M. If you find a reliable kicker for say $1.8M then that is $2.4M cheaper than Boz was schedule to count next year. The net effect is then only half of the $4.8M we keep talking about.

I find it interesting when you look back to how Boz ended up in Pittsburgh. Suisham was the Steelers very reliable kicker until he was injured in 2015. The Steelers signed the "name" guy in Josh Scobee to take his place. We all remember how that worked out, so they instead found this nobody off the street named Boswell. None of us knew who this guy was. He turned out great...for awhile. If we can find a guy who is steady then it is a huge upgrade, and there will be an entire off-season to try out guys.

It's crazy because he seemed to have nerves of steel last year.

NorthCoast
12-11-2018, 09:03 PM
Boswell sits at 62.5% FG conversion. That is 20% below the league average and good for 36th in the league. Last year he ended at 92%.
He is also at 88.6% on extra points, 36th in the league.

The guy has fallen off a cliff with no signs of recovery. Problem is there are not many pleasant options out there. AZ has churned through 3 kickers so far this season. LAC have a sucky kicker as well that I am sure they would like to jettisoned at first chance.

pittpete
12-11-2018, 10:06 PM
I think i have this solved.
We should let Berry try kicking FG's and Bos can try punting this week.
How bad could it be?:p

Moonie
12-11-2018, 10:23 PM
I think i have this solved.
We should let Berry try kicking FG's and Bos can try punting this week.
How bad could it be?:p

Why can't they get these weirdos to both kick and punt to begin with? How different is the skill and talent needed between the two positions? Save a roster space.

papillon
12-11-2018, 11:15 PM
shocking. anything to keep the spot light off him

You may not like Tomlin but saying he is bringing in kickers to divert attention from him just isn't anything I've seen in 15 years, shying away from his decisions isn't something he does, he owns his mistakes and words.

Pappy

papillon
12-11-2018, 11:21 PM
At this point I think you have to stick with Boswell, bringing in a guy that hasn't kicked and hasn't been under pressure in a game isn't an ideal situation. Tomlin should have given Boswell a vote of confidence whether he believed it or not and stuck with him. Now, even if retains his job he won't believe that the Steelers trust him and that too is a recipe for disaster. The offense is probably going to start taking more chances to make first downs just to keep Boz off the field and that too could be disastrous as well.

Pappy

squidkid
12-12-2018, 12:08 AM
At this point I think you have to stick with Boswell, bringing in a guy that hasn't kicked and hasn't been under pressure in a game isn't an ideal situation. Tomlin should have given Boswell a vote of confidence whether he believed it or not and stuck with him. Now, even if retains his job he won't believe that the Steelers trust him and that too is a recipe for disaster. The offense is probably going to start taking more chances to make first downs just to keep Boz off the field and that too could be disastrous as well.

Pappy

sure but tomlin needed to blame someone to take the heat off him

Eich
12-12-2018, 10:03 AM

Pappy

At this point, Boswell, should NOT think that the Steelers trust him. He's been beyond terrible. Atrocious. Disastrous. Seriously, bringing a guy in who's never been in an NFL game in his life really can't be much worse than what we're getting out of Boswell.

If Boz is the guy on game-day, the offense SHOULD start taking more chances to make first downs and TD's and 2-point conversions. Boz has shown NOTHING this season to even hint that the Steelers should trust him.

I think the Steelers have been BEYOND patient and trusting in him. It's time to do something different. Maybe he'll come out of his funk for next year. Maybe he has something going on his personal life. Whatever it is, bringing in other kickers should absolutely be expected by all parties involved.

Ghost
12-12-2018, 10:25 AM
Bos has gotten the benefit of the doubt this season because last year he was money. Had had games of 4, 5, 4, 3, 4 FGs and 3 game winners. He also got a big $$ contract. These are the only reasons he wasn't cut mid way through the season.

I'm OK with bringing in guys to test them out. They all would have kicked in college and probably spent some time in the pros. It's not as if they need to know the playbook. At this point I'd trust a guy who hasn't kicked in a game who has some confidence over the guy who keeps missing and has the kicking yips.

You have to believe Bos know his career is on the line and is practicing extra hard which means it's in his head. He's become Chuck Knoblauch. You want to believe he can overcome this but some guys never do.

squidkid
12-12-2018, 10:28 AM
tomlin bringing in kickers is only going to hurt boswell more. he already knows he sucks and am sure he has been working on correcting that every way possible. obviously it isnt working so far. the one thing boswell had going for him was support from the team. now tomlin took that away. this is a no win situation

funny how the 1 time tomlin shows some accountability is at the same time he is being roasted for his major F up loss

Sword
12-12-2018, 10:29 AM
yep..go with someone with confidence.....over someone not sure of himself.........

K Train
12-12-2018, 10:48 AM
Bringing in someone to compete can also spark him to get him going again. Sometimes knowing your job is on the line brings out the best of someone. Especially athletes.

I was listening to the pat mcafee show, he said he cant remember ever seeing a kicker having to compete with other kicking contenders in the middle of the season but he also said he loved it for that very reason, could absolutely spark him back to what we would consider normal

Eich
12-12-2018, 10:49 AM
tomlin bringing in kickers is only going to hurt boswell more. he already knows he sucks and am sure he has been working on correcting that every way possible. obviously it isnt working so far. the one thing boswell had going for him was support from the team. now tomlin took that away. this is a no win situation

funny how the 1 time tomlin shows some accountability is at the same time he is being roasted for his major F up loss

In professional sports with professional athletes, competition is supposed to step up one's game. Boswell should be expecting other kickers to come in. He can either improve or he can't. There's currently something wrong with him. Doing nothing is worse than bringing in competition.

Of all the things that Tomlin deserves roasting for, it's not this. Tomlin has been extremely supportive and patient with Boswell. But enough is enough!

Oviedo
12-12-2018, 11:01 AM
In professional sports with professional athletes, competition is supposed to step up one's game. Boswell should be expecting other kickers to come in. He can either improve or he can't. There's currently something wrong with him. Doing nothing is worse than bringing in competition.

Of all the things that Tomlin deserves roasting for, it's not this. Tomlin has been extremely supportive and patient with Boswell. But enough is enough!

On the mark. While this and every opportunity, to include cold temps, some will try to make it Tomlin's fault, the fundamental issue is that Boswell isn't getting the job done. Perhaps he needs to remember how he got on the team to begin with and look over his shoulder. F*** his psyche. If he that mentally weak he is already the wrong guy.

squidkid
12-12-2018, 11:04 AM

dont get me wrong. im all about production and being held accountable. i just think its funny that he decided to hold someone accountable the same week he is getting blazed for his stupidity.

Eich
12-12-2018, 11:11 AM
I wonder if Jeff Reed has reached out yet? And I’m being serious! He contacted the Steelers a few years ago, saying he still wanted to play.

K Train
12-12-2018, 11:33 AM
Funny thing is reed is 6 years younger than vinitieri, 4 years younger than matt bryant and phil dawson lol

Ghost
12-12-2018, 12:01 PM
While he's at it; Tomlin should be bringing in LB's, pass rushers, and secondary.

I'd love to See Tomlin do something like this:

Former Steelers and Patriots punter Josh Miller has often told the story about the aftermath of one of the games in which the Patriots played poorly and lost. He said Bill Belichick made sure to parade all of the free agents he was giving a tryout to — and there was at least one for every position — on the practice field as the team was coming off the field.

The message was received loud and clear by the players, and they responded with a big win the next week. That was just one of many tactics Belichick would use to motivate the players, serving as a reminder that all of them were replaceable.

squidkid
12-12-2018, 12:09 PM
While he's at it; Tomlin should be bringing in LB's, pass rushers, and secondary.

I'd love to See Tomlin do something like this:

Former Steelers and Patriots punter Josh Miller has often told the story about the aftermath of one of the games in which the Patriots played poorly and lost. He said Bill Belichick made sure to parade all of the free agents he was giving a tryout to — and there was at least one for every position — on the practice field as the team was coming off the field.

The message was received loud and clear by the players, and they responded with a big win the next week. That was just one of many tactics Belichick would use to motivate the players, serving as a reminder that all of them were replaceable.

hey now, tomlin laid down the law when he said he was gonna discipline AB earlier this year.
now he didnt do it by benching him or anything. he said he took care of it a different way.....wink wink

SteelBucks
12-12-2018, 02:38 PM
Steelers flew in Kai Forbath and Matt McCrane to compete with Boz today. McCrane is a rookie, Forbath played with the Vikings for several seasons.

squidkid
12-12-2018, 03:03 PM
Steelers flew in Kai Forbath and Matt McCrane to compete with Boz today. McCrane is a rookie, Forbath played with the Vikings for several seasons.

lol..............not much competition, mccrane is 5 for 9 in fg attempts and forbath was 32 for 39 in 2017............no problem bringing forbath in but more guys with similar stats should be competing

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-12-2018, 04:09 PM
I don't mind bringing in Forbath. It is December and he spent several years kicking in Washington. Considering the time of year I would want to make sure that any kicker signed has played in a cold weather city.

NorthCoast
12-12-2018, 09:28 PM

funny how the 1 time tomlin shows some accountability is at the same time he is being roasted for his major F up lossAgain finding fault with actions Tomlin is trying to take to make the team better.

If Boswell had done his job, the Steelers win the game.

If Hilton had done his job on the last defensive play, the Steelers win the game.

It comes down to people doing their jobs (and btw that includes Tomlin).