PDA

View Full Version : remember when tomlin though he was so ingenious

squidkid
12-03-2018, 11:24 AM
going for 2 a few years ago?
now we have new, tougher kicking rules, a super efficient red zone offense and a kicker that sucks, he doesnt even attempt one.
please explain that to me

Buzz
12-03-2018, 11:33 AM
he goes by his gut, and his gut wasn't going for #2

Mick'sTeam
12-03-2018, 12:31 PM
He's too busy fighting the urge to throw his challenge flag. He's like a child with $2 burning a hole in his pocket.

Captain Lemming
12-03-2018, 01:05 PM
now we have new, tougher kicking rules, a super efficient red zone offense and a kicker that sucks, he doesnt even attempt one.

THIS criticism has real merit. It is baffling.

squidkid
12-03-2018, 01:17 PM
THIS criticism has real merit. It is baffling.

i was called several things years ago when i accused tomlin of going for 2 just to draw attention to himself and say, 'look at me, im doing something no one else does'.
now, give me 1 reason why going for 2 then makes more sense than going for 2 now.

Steel Maniac
12-03-2018, 01:29 PM
Tomlin......walking......down.......Mike .............McCarthy........avenue.

RuthlessBurgher
12-03-2018, 01:35 PM
i was called several things years ago when i accused tomlin of going for 2 just to draw attention to himself and say, 'look at me, im doing something no one else does'.
now, give me 1 reason why going for 2 then makes more sense than going for 2 now.

What were you called when you complained about Tomlin going for 2?

You could that up too when you go back and search for all the posters who called Artie Burns the steal of the draft.

squidkid
12-03-2018, 01:35 PM
Tomlin......walking......down.......Mike .............McCarthy........avenue.

nah, different agenda, different priorities.............

squidkid
12-03-2018, 01:36 PM
What were you called when you complained about Tomlin going for 2?

You could that up too when you go back and search for all the posters who called Artie Burns the steal of the draft.

lol............sorry to hurt your feelings

RuthlessBurgher
12-03-2018, 02:57 PM
lol............sorry to hurt your feelings

Still no evidence of any namecalling because of your opinions in the Tomlin 2 point conversion discussion?

Still no names of any posters on this site who ever called Burns the steal of the draft?

So you are just talking out of your anal sphincter yet again...Gotcha. Carry on, then, I guess.

flippy
12-03-2018, 03:39 PM

This is a great question.

Next...why do we even bother punting ever?

squidkid
12-03-2018, 03:53 PM
Still no evidence of any namecalling because of your opinions in the Tomlin 2 point conversion discussion?

Still no names of any posters on this site who ever called Burns the steal of the draft?

So you are just talking out of your anal sphincter yet again...Gotcha. Carry on, then, I guess.

you never mentioned burns as a first round draft pick and according to your own words, 'knowledgeable people knew where burns would be drafted', SO, in your very own words, seeing that you never said burns was a possible target for us(need or BPA) you are not knowledgeable..................thanks

RuthlessBurgher
12-03-2018, 04:27 PM
you never mentioned burns as a first round draft pick and according to your own words, 'knowledgeable people knew where burns would be drafted', SO, in your very own words, seeing that you never said burns was a possible target for us(need or BPA) you are not knowledgeable..................thanks

What the hell are you talking about? Burns was rated as a late first, early second round prospect. In other words, numerically, he was maybe a guy with a top 30 to 40 overall. Yeah, I knew who he was because anyone with more than a passing interest in the NFL draft should at least be familiar with its top 50 or so prospects. We were picking 25th that year. With that pick, we should be targeting someone with a top 20 to 25 grade overall, not someone in the 30- or 40-somethings. If you are picking at #25 like we were during Burns' draft year, if a guy with a pre-draft ranking of #15 falls to us, you might be willing to say that pick could be the steal of the draft. But that didn't happen here. If you are picking at #25, and draft a guy with a pre-draft ranking of #35 or #40 or whatever, no one is calling that player the steal of the draft. No one did.

flippy
12-03-2018, 10:58 PM
I think the Steelers under Tomlin swing for the fences under Tomlin. Our 1st round picks are like some of his challenges. A little iffy.

Burns fit the mold of a first rounder based on athleticism. But everyone kinda acknowledged he was a bit of a reach because we were desperate to draft at the position. I think we zero in a little too much on position under Tomlin and end up reaching. But when we reach, we kinda go for broke too. I kinda get it. But it hasn’t really paid off to often.

We we seem to do a little better/safer with our 2nd rounders for whatever reason. I think playing the odds we do, it creates a little deficit in talent on the roster overall.

Then in when we don’t reach, we take a guy like JJ. Or Bud didn’t feel like a big reach but meh. Same with this year with Edmunds. Athletic guy and all, but a crap shoot really. All we kinda knew is his brother seems like a player at LB. Maybe we got the better athlete, but we don’t really know what we got in terms of a football player.

Sometimes I think this might finally be the pick that really works out for Tomlin. But who knows. Some of it is also our system. Used to be able to get OLBs later in the draft. Never knew who would really pan out as a 3-4 OLB in the past. Now you must use high picks on these guys. Same with WRs going higher now. CBs and DEs are typically gone way early in round 1.

The game is changing and drafting gets harder.