PDA

View Full Version : Good, Bad, Ugly

NorthCoast
11-25-2018, 11:29 PM
Good:

Switzer has established himself as the #3 WR and deserves it. He's got reliable hands, makes some tough catches in the slot, and can move the chains. Great pickup by Colbert.
Hargrave is a human wrecking ball, and dare I say he's outplayed Tuitt this season. The sack of Keenum where he destroyed the center was straight up beastly.
Fichtner's playcalling this season has really been a huge positive difference. Without the turnovers, the Steelers easily hit their 30 pts/gm goal.
JJ Smith Schuster.... what more can be said... now owns another NFL record and only Year 2 of his career. The guy is equally valuable playing outside as he is inside.

Bad:

Washington .... another big non-catch slips through his hands. His opportunities are slowly ebbing away.
Conner ... second week in a row and at least 3 games where his fumble was critical to the outcome of the game. Somewhere I read that his hands are a little small for an NFL player...not sure if this is true but could be a factor, especially with bad weather games coming soon.
Roethlisberger.... hero one week, goat the next (and not the good goat, but the hairy one). Not at all clear what he saw on that last pass in the EZ. AB was completely covered, regardless of the tackle sliding back for the INT.
Haden had a rough outing, beat twice for big gains. He has to play smart, because he doesn't have the elite speed of some of these WRs.
Safeties.... more bad angles and missed tackles. It's not like these guys practice against a bunch of average joes so it makes you scratch your head what they are looking at as the play evolves.

Ugly:

Grimble... the only explanation I could come up with is that he was stunned a little by the hit to the head. How else does a guy get wracked by a guy that gives up 25 lbs on him.

Starlifter
11-26-2018, 01:24 AM
Switzer is a great possession guy and probably a legit #3. But I wish he had competition. The other guys aren’t even close.

The Man of Steel
11-26-2018, 06:31 AM
Switzer is a great possession guy and probably a legit #3. But I wish he had competition. The other guys aren’t even close.
Switzer has 27 receptions on the season while Washington has a paltry total of 8. You’re right, it isn’t even close because Washington just continues to be a huge disappointment.

Mr.wizard
11-26-2018, 07:40 AM
Washington didn't even have to dive for that ball, if he keeps his feet not only is that a catch it's a TD.

Buzz
11-26-2018, 10:48 AM
Bad:

Safeties.... more bad angles and missed tackles. It's not like these guys practice against a bunch of average joes so it makes you scratch your head what they are looking at as the play evolves.

In particular, Edmunds. I know he had 8 tackles, but he looked slow and was out of position a lot of the night. As I said with Washington, it's too early to write him off as a bad draft choice, but it seems to me that he should be starting to get it after all the playing time he's seen.

Eich
11-26-2018, 10:59 AM
I'm really growing tired of this offense being wildly inconsistent.

One week, they can't be stopped and do no wrong.

Then there's yesterday, where everyone takes turns screwing up royally. Bad decisions. Bad throws. Drops. Fumbles. It's MADDENING.

We're going nowhere with such inconsistency. The talent is there. But for whatever reason, consistency is not.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-26-2018, 05:20 PM
In particular, Edmunds. I know he had 8 tackles, but he looked slow and was out of position a lot of the night. As I said with Washington, it's too early to write him off as a bad draft choice, but it seems to me that he should be starting to get it after all the playing time he's seen.

Safety and WR are two completely different adjustments from college to the pros. At the end of the day, a receiver is still running routes and catching the ball when thrown to him. A safety has to understand schemes, different positional responsibilities, multiple adjustments etc.

There is a reason why running backs and receivers are often able to make an immediate impact whereas it typically takes longer for defensive players, especially LBs and safeties.

Buzz
11-26-2018, 06:31 PM
Safety and WR are two completely different adjustments from college to the pros. At the end of the day, a receiver is still running routes and catching the ball when thrown to him. A safety has to understand schemes, different positional responsibilities, multiple adjustments etc.

There is a reason why running backs and receivers are often able to make an immediate impact whereas it typically takes longer for defensive players, especially LBs and safeties.

Right. I didn't word it well, I guess. Just like with Washington, I'm not writing Edmunds off. But I am concerned about his progress.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-26-2018, 06:59 PM
Right. I didn't word it well, I guess. Just like with Washington, I'm not writing Edmunds off. But I am concerned about his progress.

No worries. I'm a lot more "wait and see" when it comes to Edmunds. He should still be at the point where he spends more time thinking about what he should be doing than reacting and making plays. Hopefully he is able to take Troy-like strides after this year and settle in.

pittpete
11-26-2018, 08:23 PM
Edmonds looked really out of sorts yesterday.
My brother was texting me and we both noticed it.
Washington also had the block in the back penalty to go with the drop.
Not feeling it with this kid but its still his first year.