PDA

View Full Version : Marcus gilbert

JIMBO
11-24-2018, 11:42 AM
Just wondering what's up with this guy. Is this injury real or are they just " saving " him for the playoffs? Like Chuck Noll used to say: " You can't make the club sittin in the tub " Methinks his time is short in the 'burgh" !! Not looking forward to the Chuks- Von Miller matchup either.

RuthlessBurgher
11-24-2018, 11:56 AM
Not looking forward to the Chuks- Von Miller matchup either.

Matt Feiler was able to get in a couple of limited practices on Thursday and Friday, so I'm hoping he'll be good to go on Sunday and we won't need to start the rook.

pittpete
11-24-2018, 02:56 PM
In the last 3 years he's missed 17 games:(

Gilbert has not played since an Oct. 14 win at Cincinnati. He has practiced fully just once since then despite repeated assurances from him that the injury is not serious.

“I wouldn’t describe it as a setback,” Tomlin said in reference to Gilbert’s delayed return. “It’s probably not healing as fast as he or we would like but that’s life. I wouldn’t describe it as a setback.”

AzStillers1989
11-25-2018, 01:42 AM
in the last 3 years he's missed 17 games:(

gilbert has not played since an oct. 14 win at cincinnati. He has practiced fully just once since then despite repeated assurances from him that the injury is not serious.

“i wouldn’t describe it as a setback,” tomlin said in reference to gilbert’s delayed return. “it’s probably not healing as fast as he or we would like but that’s life. I wouldn’t describe it as a setback.”

pay munchak!

Disco1981
11-25-2018, 05:38 AM
How much against the cap would it cost us if we cut Gilbert this offseason

steeler_george
11-25-2018, 08:42 AM
How much against the cap would it cost us if we cut Gilbert this offseason

I just looked it up, wow he has been in the league already 8 yrs, and 2019 is last year of contract. If he is cut he saves....Cap hit is over 6 M, and dead cap value of just a 1 M.

When healthy he is boardline all pro, but like what we have seen from Hubbard and now from Feiler, playing next to Decastro elevates their game.

We have depth there with Feiler, OK( spelling) and forgot name who is on IR. So i can see him being a cap casualty, along with the big Ragou, keep evolving into younger team.

Ghost
11-25-2018, 05:27 PM
Feiler has a pectoral injury but is active today. Okorafor got snaps with the first team this week just in case.

Oviedo
11-25-2018, 06:24 PM
Feiler has a pectoral injury but is active today. Okorafor got snaps with the first team this week just in case.

Chuks is looking good against one of the league's best pass rushers

Disco1981
11-25-2018, 07:12 PM
I just looked it up, wow he has been in the league already 8 yrs, and 2019 is last year of contract. If he is cut he saves....Cap hit is over 6 M, and dead cap value of just a 1 M.

When healthy he is boardline all pro, but like what we have seen from Hubbard and now from Feiler, playing next to Decastro elevates their game.

We have depth there with Feiler, OK( spelling) and forgot name who is on IR. So i can see him being a cap casualty, along with the big Ragou, keep evolving into younger team.

And now Chucks...Don't miss a beat

RuthlessBurgher
11-30-2018, 11:45 AM
Steelers' Chuks Okorafor on The Standard, rookie duties, and protective moms

9:26 AM ET
Francis Okupa
Special to ESPN

Ever since Mike Tomlin took over the reins as Pittsburgh Steelers head coach in 2007, one phrase has been drummed into the heads of his players: "The Standard is the standard".

The axiom is written on the walls, and is meant to coexist with the league-wide mantra, "Next Man Up". The phrases mean that regardless of the situation faced by the team or players, the standard being upheld never changes. Backups are expected to play to the same standard as the player being replaced.

Rookie offensive tackle Chukwuma Okorafor has been indoctrinated into "The standard," and as the youngest lineman in one of the NFL's best and most experienced offensive line groups, Okorafor has found himself in a situation most would hope to fall into.

Selected in the third round of the NFL draft in April, Okorafor landed under the tutelage of one of the premier offensive line coaches in the league in Mike Munchak, as well as in the company of veterans Maurkice Pouncey, Ramon Foster, Marcus Gilbert, David DeCastro, and Alejandro Villanueva.

These players are not prone to coddling, and yet: "Both our tackles [Villanueva and Gilbert] are always helping me out," Okorafor tells ESPN.

"If they see me do something wrong in a play and it's something I can fix, they pull me to the side and kind of explain to me what happened and what I should have done better."

In previous years, the Steelers have brought young offensive linemen into the mix slowly by making them active on game days without actually starting on the line, but rather by playing as an extra tight end in jumbo packages.

Okorafor, only 21, understands and appreciates the method: "There's really no rush in playing me right now.

"Whichever way they see fit for me, in terms of playing once or all the snaps, it doesn't really matter to me at this point. I just have to keep on playing better every week and see what happens.

"There are guys here who are bigger, stronger, faster, so I'm just trying to take it day by day. To be a rookie and just having so much stuff thrown at me, I think I'm doing well.

"I didn't go to a team with all bad players. I'm on a team with All-Pros playing for 7,8,10 years so you can't be thinking 'you're the man' or something like that."

All-Pro Right Guard David DeCastro told ESPN about Okorafor's progress: "Chuks is good. The rookie year is tough. You learn a lot, not just football stuff.

"He's a young guy, he's got the body type, he's got the ability and weapons and now he's just learning the game. It took me some time to learn the game at this level, and he's got a great coach, got a great group and we're doing the best to coach him up."

In week 12, with starter Marcus Gilbert and backup Matt Feiler both dealing with injuries, Okorafor was called on to start at right tackle in against the Broncos in Denver, to play a major role in keeping All-Pro pass rusher Von Miller out of the pocket and away from Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger.

Provided with help by DeCastro, and at other times with a tight end lined up next to him, the Nigerian held his own for much of the game against Miller, but did give up a sack during the game and found it difficult to corral the quicker player a few times late on.

The Steelers totaled season highs in both total yards (527) and passing yards (462) while holding the Broncos to just two sacks on Roethlisberger during the loss on Sunday. All in all, Okorafor performed well in his first start and gave his teammates, coaches, and fans reason to believe in him.

Capable of playing at both left and right tackle, Okorafor is a testament to hard work both on the field and in the film room. A late arrival to the sport, he first began playing in high school as a kicker, before moving to the offensive line.

As with many parents unfamiliar with the game, Okorafor's Nigerian mother was opposed to her son playing the sport, he says: "My mom was not a fan at all.

"After I finished my sophomore year of playing, my mom made me stop football, so for the whole offseason I had to kind of beg and plead to her that it was safe to play.

"She saw everyone getting hit and I was so young, I always played with older players. So in high school they were 18 and 19 [on Varsity] and I was 15 or so, and my mom was kind of scared of the age difference.

"She cared about my school work too. When she eventually let me start playing she said as long as I could keep up with my school work then I could play."

Even now, as one of the league's youngest players, the Western Michigan product has duties and errands to run for the vets in his position group, but Okorafor remains humble and keeps his duties in stride. "Rookie stuff, I have to buy food every Thursday. It could be worse."

DeCastro says: "Of course we rib him, he's a rookie and Munch [Munchak] is the number one proponent of that. Gotta keep the rookies in line, keep them honest and keep them working hard, don't let them be complacent.

"The sky's the limit, he's got a lot of natural ability and he's in good hands."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25416465/nfl-steelers-chuks-okorafor-standard

Steel Maniac
11-30-2018, 12:26 PM

Sounds like we need to move on next year.

Iron City Inc.
11-30-2018, 02:48 PM
Hawkins is the other OT on IR who has been injured for a second season. WE HAVE DEPTH. Not sure what the off season plan will be but it's nice to be in that position.