PDA

View Full Version : James Conner ...

Buzz
10-14-2018, 09:05 PM
... better in the red zone than Leveon Bell.

And Conner has 3 games this season with over 100 yards rushing and 2 or more rushing TDs ... Bell has 3 in his whole career.

RuthlessBurgher
10-14-2018, 09:14 PM
Conner has 3 games this season with over 100 yards rushing and 2 or more rushing TDs ...

That's happened 8 times this season so far across the entire NFL, and 3 of them belong to James Conner.

pittpete
10-14-2018, 10:16 PM
beast........................

Captain Lemming
10-14-2018, 10:22 PM
That's happened 8 times this season so far across the entire NFL, and 3 of them belong to James Conner.

You know WHO ELSE has done it three times.
DeAngelo William's.

He also had two more multi rush touchdown games. He had THREE in a game when he had 77 yards.

DeAngelo Williams started 14 games and had 15 TDs as a Steeler.

AND the first 10 starts, Pouncey didn't even play as he was injured that season

I said this YEARS ago. Bell ain't special in short yardage. Conner just adds MORE proof.

NorthCoast
10-14-2018, 11:07 PM
It shows you the difference in running style between Conner and Bell. Bell's style of waiting for a hole and bursting through doesn't work when there is a short field and the line is clogged with bodies. Conner on the other hand hits the hole hard and barrels defenders over.

raycafan
10-14-2018, 11:50 PM
Besides his play, I like Conners kid like enthusiasm. It’s such a welcomed relief from all the show boating and crap.

Steel Maniac
10-15-2018, 12:21 AM
You know WHO ELSE has done it three times.
DeAngelo William's.

He also had two more multi rush touchdown games. He had THREE in a game when he had 77 yards.

DeAngelo Williams started 14 games and had 15 TDs as a Steeler.

AND the first 10 starts, Pouncey didn't even play as he was injured that season

I said this YEARS ago. Bell ain't special in short yardage. Conner just adds MORE proof.

Boom.............

The Man of Steel
10-15-2018, 06:06 AM
Bell can just play in the slot if he does come back. No need to lessen Connor’s carries at this point in the season.

Starlifter
10-15-2018, 07:03 AM
Bell can just play in the slot if he does come back. No need to lessen Connor’s carries at this point in the season.

I agree with this. We haven’t seen a third WR separate from the pack, so keep Connor at RB and use LB as the #3.

flippy
10-15-2018, 07:13 AM
No one wants to just say it but Conner > Bell in nearly every way. From short yardage to rapping to attitude to not getting suspended to not having an apostrophe in his first name. Plus he's here.

Sugar
10-15-2018, 07:37 AM
I agree with this. We haven’t seen a third WR separate from the pack, so keep Connor at RB and use LB as the #3.
The #3 seems to be whatever TE is on the field at the time. McDonald is showing to be a beast of a man for both blocking and receiving.

RuthlessBurgher
10-15-2018, 10:12 AM
The #3 seems to be whatever TE is on the field at the time. McDonald is showing to be a beast of a man for both blocking and receiving.

But if Ben had AB and Juju as his outside receivers, then Vance in the slot on one side, Bell in the slot on the other side, and Conner in the backfield as a dumpoff option, that's an arsenal right there. You can run out of that package, you can pass out of that package, you can motion guys in or out of the backfield if the opponent tries to counter with their nickel or dime defense. All options would be on the table.

K Train
10-15-2018, 10:18 AM
ben loves TEs this year...both vance and jesse. The #3 WR isnt an issue though, its just a very very limited role right now but switzer and washington have both made some plays

RuthlessBurgher
10-15-2018, 10:28 AM
ben loves TEs this year...both vance and jesse. The #3 WR isnt an issue though, its just a very very limited role right now but switzer and washington have both made some plays

Every time he throws it to an open TE underneath is one less time he tries to force in to AB in double or triple coverage. Just hit the open guy, Ben! Kudos...

Captain Lemming
10-15-2018, 10:29 AM

Heck he got GRIMBLE the ball yesterday.

I will say this about Vance.
If that dude could just stay healthy, his upside would make us forget Heath, he could wind up GOAT of Steelers at the position, albeit for a shorter period.

RuthlessBurgher
10-15-2018, 10:35 AM
Ben Roethlisberger jokes James Conner did well in his “last game”

Posted by Josh Alper on October 15, 2018, 7:39 AM EDT

Running back Le'Veon Bell hasn’t told the Steelers about whether he’s reporting during the bye week, but he did have his eye on the team Sunday.

Bell sent a tweet recognizing James Conner‘s strong play in the 28-21 win over the Bengals. Conner ran 19 times for 111 yards and two touchdowns to continue a good run as the top running back in Pittsburgh. Thoughts about whether that run will continue led to a joke from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger after the game.

“He was a bowling ball today,” Roethlisberger said, via PennLive.com. “He was all over the place. What a great game, but I know it’s his last game for us, so, because Le’Veon’s coming back. I thought he did well in his last one.”

Roethlisberger said last week that Conner should retain a role in the offense if and when Bell returns to the fold and Sunday’s performance was another strong argument in favor of that approach.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/15/ben-roethlisberger-jokes-james-conner-did-well-in-his-last-game/

Captain Lemming
10-15-2018, 11:57 AM
Ben seems to be kind of a "passive agressive in these comments about the RB position.

While he has not gone Foster level critical, seems to me he is of the same mind.

K Train
10-15-2018, 12:03 PM
cant really expect much else...they really cant be concerned with bell, hes not there and im sure they are sick of answering questions about him

Northern_Blitz
10-15-2018, 12:13 PM
Every time he throws it to an open TE underneath is one less time he tries to force in to AB in double or triple coverage. Just hit the open guy, Ben! Kudos...

This.

Especially hit the open man if it's McDonald. It's pretty fun to watch him truck his way through would be tacklers.

Eich
10-15-2018, 12:36 PM
Ben seems to be kind of a "passive agressive in these comments about the RB position.

While he has not gone Foster level critical, seems to me he is of the same mind.

I just wonder who his passive-aggressiveness is really aimed at. Who are these people that are saying that Connor won't play when Bell is back? The media?

NorthCoast
10-15-2018, 12:37 PM
Back on topic, Connor had a life altering event. I would have to believe this might change a person's entire approach to what they do and who they are. It's is refreshing when money isn't at the top of ones priority ( or at least the pursuit of money, and instead it's about football and playing better and making plays).

Mr.wizard
10-15-2018, 01:21 PM
Back on topic, Connor had a life altering event. I would have to believe this might change a person's entire approach to what they do and who they are. It's is refreshing when money isn't at the top of ones priority ( or at least the pursuit of money, and instead it's about football and playing better and making plays).

Well it's easy to say money isnt at the top of his list because he is on his rookie deal and only had 6 games under his belt, he isnt in a position to worry about the money.

SteelerOfDeVille
10-15-2018, 01:56 PM
could it be that the OC isn't an idiot who passes on short yardage?

RuthlessBurgher
10-15-2018, 02:15 PM
Steelers want James Conner show to keep rolling

12:51 PM ET

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

CINCINNATI -- Ben Roethlisberger spoke in jest, but with a hint of truth over James Conner's 111-yard, two-touchdown rushing performance Sunday.

“What a great game, but I know it’s his last game for us, because Le'Veon's coming back,” Roethlisberger said after the Pittsburgh Steelers' thrilling 28-21 win over the Cincinnati Bengals.

Roethlisberger used sarcasm to emphasize a point he made earlier in the week -- that Conner should be involved in the offense with or without Le'Veon Bell, who has made plans to report during the Week 7-8 time frame.

After a slow three-game stretch, Conner has responded with a fury. His 314 total yards in back-to-back wins over Atlanta and Cincinnati have provided balance for the offense. He's now fifth in the NFL in rushing with 453 yards and seventh in rushing touchdowns with seven.

And the team clearly respects him, setting the stage for a fascinating backfield dynamic when Bell returns.

Conner smirked and said he was just "running hard" when asked about giving Bengals defenders two vicious forearms on a first-down run in the open field, eliciting a "damn James" tweet with a biceps emoji from Bell. He shouted out the offensive line, a group he calls the "Goons."

Conner made clear he hasn’t arrived, and his development is an "ongoing process."

“It's not my call [who starts], I just control everything I can control,” Conner told ESPN’s Josina Anderson on camera after the game. “We know what Le'Veon brings to the table. He's an awesome player so that's out of my control.”

Only coach Mike Tomlin knows how he'll play the Bell-Conner dynamic. First, Bell must show he's game-ready. Tomlin has been clear on that point.

But Conner has played with an edge that teammates and coaches have noticed. The Steelers averaged 2.8 yards per carry from Weeks 2-4, last in the league. That number only fueled the discussion about the need for Bell.

Conner responded with an offensive explosion.

“He had a look in his eye, and he had a good week of work,” Tomlin said. “James just wants to put his hand in the pile and be one of the reasons why we win. He wants to prove that, like a lot of guys. JuJu [Smith-Schuster] wants to prove that. They’re getting opportunities to do it, and they’re delivering.”

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/28972/steelers-want-james-conner-show-to-keep-rolling

Northern_Blitz
10-15-2018, 03:07 PM
Well it's easy to say money isnt at the top of his list because he is on his rookie deal and only had 6 games under his belt, he isnt in a position to worry about the money.

This.............

Buzz
10-15-2018, 07:02 PM
Gonna be hard for Bell to swallow being the backup when he comes back. Might make him more amenable to a trade, though.

Problem is, the trade deadline is coming up real soon, isn't it?

NorthCoast
10-15-2018, 07:19 PM
Well it's easy to say money isnt at the top of his list because he is on his rookie deal and only had 6 games under his belt, he isnt in a position to worry about the money.You may be right but I won't question a man's motivations until I have a reason to question them. Bell has given us plenty of reasons to question his motivations.

Shoe
10-15-2018, 07:57 PM

You don't think so? I'm a fan, but I kinda think it will be hard for James to continue this well. The last thing I want to see is a worn down Conner running into the stack in December and January. If Bell does come back, I think I do ride his proverbial wheels off. Keep Conner active with a defined role, but I think it would be easier for him to fit into that role than Bell.

BTW, Bell as a slot WR to me is a fallacy. The guy has never shown the ability to run routes like a WR. The only time I really even recall him doing anything was that quick slant in the endzone vs. DAL. He is an excellent receiver of the ball out of the backfield, but running a hook route against a DB is something different.

RuthlessBurgher
10-15-2018, 09:12 PM
Gonna be hard for Bell to swallow being the backup when he comes back. Might make him more amenable to a trade, though.

Problem is, the trade deadline is coming up real soon, isn't it?

Right after week 8.

Mr.wizard
10-15-2018, 09:55 PM
You may be right but I won't question a man's motivations until I have a reason to question them. Bell has given us plenty of reasons to question his motivations.

I don't question Bell's motivations, he wants to be paid, that doesn't make him a bad guy. News flash if James Conner continues on this pace for the next couple years he is going to want to get paid too, if you think he is going to keep doing this for peanuts because he loves the game you're nuts.

Captain Lemming
10-16-2018, 12:55 AM
You may be right but I won't question a man's motivations until I have a reason to question them. Bell has given us plenty of reasons to question his motivations.

Nah, I don't "question" Bell's motivations. He makes these clear for anyone who can tolerate his garbage caliber raps :)

Steelerphile
10-16-2018, 04:50 AM
I don't question Bell's motivations, he wants to be paid, that doesn't make him a bad guy. News flash if James Conner continues on this pace for the next couple years he is going to want to get paid too, if you think he is going to keep doing this for peanuts because he loves the game you're nuts.

What the Steelers offered Bell, $14.5 million a year is hardly peanuts. He wanted more guaranteed, which I personally view that with some suspicion and trepidation, thinking he wants some fool to guarantee to pay him millions and therefore wouldn't really need to produce at the same level, to get that money.

But if Conner continues to play well he will have earned a healthy increase at his next contract. I can't speak for him but I think he probably would have accepted Bell's deal and probably a lot less. Half of that is about $7.5 million, which is still a lot of money.

Mr.wizard
10-16-2018, 07:20 AM
What the Steelers offered Bell, $14.5 million a year is hardly peanuts. He wanted more guaranteed, which I personally view that with some suspicion and trepidation, thinking he wants some fool to guarantee to pay him millions and therefore wouldn't really need to produce at the same level, to get that money.

But if Conner continues to play well he will have earned a healthy increase at his next contract. I can't speak for him but I think he probably would have accepted Bell's deal and probably a lot less. Half of that is about $7.5 million, which is still a lot of money.

I didnt say they offered Bell peanuts, i said Conner will not play for peanuts if he continues on this pace for the next couple years. If you think that if Conner ends up as one of the top Backs in the league that he is going to take half of the top contracts being handed out then there is no reasoning with you. There would be nothing noble about Conner short changing himself, it would just be stupid.

Eich
10-16-2018, 08:57 AM
I didnt say they offered Bell peanuts, i said Conner will not play for peanuts if he continues on this pace for the next couple years. If you think that if Conner ends up as one of the top Backs in the league that he is going to take half of the top contracts being handed out then there is no reasoning with you. There would be nothing noble about Conner short changing himself, it would just be stupid.

And if Connor plays a few, full, 16-game seasons, doesn't get suspended for illegal substances, continues to act like a professional and doesn't tweet and rap about his salary requirements, maybe the Steelers will be willing to give him a little extra guaranteed money. The Steelers don't expect or ask any top talent to play for peanuts.

Northern_Blitz
10-16-2018, 09:26 AM
And if Connor plays a few, full, 16-game seasons, doesn't get suspended for illegal substances, continues to act like a professional and doesn't tweet and rap about his salary requirements, maybe the Steelers will be willing to give him a little extra guaranteed money. The Steelers don't expect or ask any top talent to play for peanuts.

But they do ask all of their top talent to play below market value (except for maybe Ben when he signed his extensions).

And that's a good thing for the team. They are supposed to be trying to sign players for below their market value, because that's how you build an above average team.

Steel Maniac
10-16-2018, 09:55 AM
When they signed Brown, he was made the highest paid WR in the league at that time. So how was that below market value? When we reach that point with Conner, he will be paid handsomely. But with him, we don't have blount smoking in the back of the car; no rap albums; and no trashing of the team on social media. And he doesn't seem as injury prone either.

RuthlessBurgher
10-16-2018, 10:54 AM
When they signed Brown, he was made the highest paid WR in the league at that time. So how was that below market value?

For the record:

Antonio Brown's most recent contract included a grand total of $19M in guaranteed dollars.

Odell Beckham got $40.959M guaranteed.
Dez Bryant got $40.625M guaranteed.
Mike Evans got $38.258M guaranteed.
DeAndre Hopkins got $36.5M guaranteed.
Julio Jones got $35.5M guaranteed.
Demaryius Thomas got $35M guaranteed.
Jarvis Landry got $34M guaranteed.
Sammy Watkins got $30M guaranteed.
A.J. Green got $26.75M guaranteed.
Keenan Allen got $20.656M guaranteed.
Brandin Cooks got $20.459M guaranteed.
Emmanuel Sanders got $20M guaranteed.
Desean Jackson got $20M guaranteed.

That's a baker's dozen of wideouts who got more guaranteed money in their last contracts than AB got...not to mention wideouts Corey Davis ($25.395M guaranteed), Amari Cooper ($22.663 guaranteed), and Mike Williams ($19.75M guaranteed), who got more guaranteed money on their rookie contracts than AB got in the prime of his career coming off 4 straight seasons of over 100 catches and over 1000 yards receiving (an average of 120.25 catches for 1578.75 yards and 10.75 TD per season in the previous 4 years).

Eich
10-16-2018, 11:04 AM
For the record:

That's a baker's dozen of wideouts who got more guaranteed money in their last contracts than AB got...not to mention wideouts Corey Davis ($25.395M guaranteed), Amari Cooper ($22.663 guaranteed), and Mike Williams ($19.75M guaranteed), who got more guaranteed money on their rookie contracts than AB got in the prime of his career coming off 4 straight seasons of over 100 catches and over 1000 yards receiving (an average of 120.25 catches for 1578.75 yards and 10.75 TD per season in the previous 4 years).

That doesn't necessarily dispute that Brown was made the highest paid wide receiver at the time he signed his contract.

Guaranteed money doesn't mean they're paid more.

Also, were these contracts all done before Brown's contract?

Northern_Blitz
10-16-2018, 11:16 AM
That doesn't necessarily dispute that Brown was made the highest paid wide receiver at the time he signed his contract.

Guaranteed money doesn't mean they're paid more.

Also, were these contracts all done before Brown's contract?

I think "market value" doesn't just mean salary.

I think that there are a lot of things that make a deal attractive: average annual value, guaranteed money, term, signing bonus vs. roster bonuses, etc.

I think if AB was on the open market (instead of extended), he would have probably (1) had a higher AAV and (2) more guarantees.

I think it's the same situation as Bell, just Bell decided that he wanted to see what he could get as a UFA and Brown was happy to take the large (but less than market value) deal the Steelers offered.

The other big difference is that Bell's rookie contract + 1st franchise tag was much better than what Brown was making as a 6th round pick. Since Bell was already set for life, there's a reasonable argument to swing for the fences.

Mr.wizard
10-16-2018, 02:35 PM

I dont think the Steelers expect their top talents to play for peanuts, i think the fans expect it. The idea that Conner in the same position as Bell would take half the money is absurd.

pittpete
10-16-2018, 02:36 PM
But they do ask all of their top talent to play below market value (except for maybe Ben when he signed his extensions).

And that's a good thing for the team. They are supposed to be trying to sign players for below their market value, because that's how you build an above average team.

Your so way off here its not funny...
The Steelers offer last year and this year were both way above market value.
Your just wrong.Its not your opinion, its facts.

Northern_Blitz
10-16-2018, 05:12 PM
Your so way off here its not funny...
The Steelers offer last year and this year were both way above market value.
Your just wrong.Its not your opinion, its facts.

I would love to know your evidence / argument for my being "way off here it's not even funny".

Maybe we're just defining market value differently. I am defining market value as "the contract that Bell would receive on the open market as a UFA". How are you defining fair market value?

I'm not sure how you can get to your conclusion without knowing Bell's market value. None of us know that because the Steelers prevented him from testing UFA 2 years in a row (probably because they know his FMV is very high).

My assumption is that the Steelers gave him the non-exclusive tag because they knew they wouldn't match the market value contract offer he would have received on the non-exclusive tag.

I feel like that's a reasonable assumption because the Steelers are generally a reasonably intelligent organization that tries to give their players "fair" contract offers that are below "fair market value". It would have been stupid of them to offer Bell his market value (or even over his market value) on the exclusive tag when they could just match the market value contract offered by another team. And I think that the Steelers usually do a good job of avoiding doing stupid things.

My read of their tactics is that they usually accomplish this by negotiating with players before their contract is over so they can't be negotiating with other teams at the same time. I think that this is a good tactic because it gives players the option to trade some contract value (which counts against the cap) for some security (which doesn't count against the cap). Doing this consistently over the long term should give the Steelers an above average team because they are paying many good players less than they would be worth if they were signed as UFAs.

Since Bell had serious question marks when they would normally extend a high pick, they let his rookie deal end and tagged him knowing that (1) it was below market value for a one year deal and (2) a one year deal is probably a good call for RBs who can get hurt easily.

Chadman
10-16-2018, 06:34 PM
No real point arguing Bell’s market value as his valuation and ours will likely be very different...

Chadman will say this- both DeAngelo Williams & James Conner lay weight to the argument that you don’t need an ‘elite’ RB to get good production. Both are obviously good RB’s, but neither are what you would call ‘elite’.

The Steelers OL makes up a majority of the difference between good & elite RB’s production, as does the threat of the Steelers passing game. What Chadman would like the Steelers to do is add an option type RB to the mix in case the defense matches up on Conner’s style well. A faster, pass catching type of RB to compliment his bashing style. Having Ridley as Conner’s back-up provides a similar body if Conner was to go down injured. But the Steelers would still need that ‘option’ RB to fill out the roster.

And pretty sure that could be put together at a fraction of the Bell cost.

One problem the Steelers had with Bell as the primary RB is this- his style is so much different to anyone else on the roster, you almost have to change the offense to suit the back-up.

Northern_Blitz
10-16-2018, 06:55 PM
No real point arguing Bell’s market value as his valuation and ours will likely be very different...

Chadman will say this- both DeAngelo Williams & James Conner lay weight to the argument that you don’t need an ‘elite’ RB to get good production. Both are obviously good RB’s, but neither are what you would call ‘elite’.

The Steelers OL makes up a majority of the difference between good & elite RB’s production, as does the threat of the Steelers passing game. What Chadman would like the Steelers to do is add an option type RB to the mix in case the defense matches up on Conner’s style well. A faster, pass catching type of RB to compliment his bashing style. Having Ridley as Conner’s back-up provides a similar body if Conner was to go down injured. But the Steelers would still need that ‘option’ RB to fill out the roster.

One problem the Steelers had with Bell as the primary RB is this- his style is so much different to anyone else on the roster, you almost have to change the offense to suit the back-up.

Yep

I think the Steelers were smart not to pay market value for Bell. And I thought Conner would be worse than he's been.

I was thinking that the offer they made was too high for the team's cap structure.

But I don't begrudge Bell for wanting to charge what the market will bear.

NorthCoast
10-16-2018, 07:22 PM

One problem the Steelers had with Bell as the primary RB is this- his style is so much different to anyone else on the roster, you almost have to change the offense to suit the back-up.There is no paradigm shift in the NFL. Win on the Lines, win games. Steelers have invested heavily in both DL and OL. The OL has shown its value time and again. The DL?... well there were some concerns to start this season but maybe it was foolhardy. The Bengals and next few weeks will determine whether the Steeler investments pay off.

SidSmythe
10-16-2018, 09:51 PM
Running Back is the easiest position to replace.
the hardest part is not finding a guy who can run and catch but who can block.
I'm beyond LB at this point. Connor and Ridley can carry this team....I'm more concerned about the CB position opposite of Haden than I am RB.

Steel Maniac
10-16-2018, 10:09 PM
I sincerely can't wait til next year so all of you who keep talking like Bell's open market value is going to be so much higher then what we offered him in 2017.

NorthCoast
10-16-2018, 10:15 PM
If you watched Connor's college tape, it had all the signs we are witnessing today:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/8036505/Conner4.gif

Contact at the 1 yd line, .... 10 yd gain with three defenders hanging on...

Chadman
10-16-2018, 11:57 PM
With the DL- Chadman is good with Tuitt & Hayward at DE, but has concerns with Hargreave holding up as a NT. Not that he’s a bad player at all, just not sure if he’s a really true NT...

Northern_Blitz
10-17-2018, 06:07 AM
I sincerely can't wait til next year so all of you who keep talking like Bell's open market value is going to be so much higher then what we offered him in 2017.

So I think your argument in this case would be:
1) The Steelers offered an above market value contract despite having exclusive rights to a player (i.e. the organization is stupid); and
2) That being a year closer to 30 and skipping half the year had no effect on Bell's market value.

I'd tend not to buy that argument. But, we're allowed to disagree (I think that's what message boards are for).

If you think that these points aren't consistent with your argument, please let me know why.

BTW: I'd still love to see your football argument that presents what you think is the "full truth" (your words) for why Tomlin is a terrible coach that deserves to be fired.

Mr.wizard
10-17-2018, 06:43 AM

I don't think I have heard anyone say his "market value is going to be so much higher than what the Steelers offered him", I think he will get a better structure with more guaranteed up front and he probably ends up in the 15-17 million dollar per year range. You are trying to create a strawman so when you are shown to be wrong this offseason you can try and claim you were right.

RuthlessBurgher
10-17-2018, 11:02 AM
What Chadman would like the Steelers to do is add an option type RB to the mix in case the defense matches up on Conner’s style well. A faster, pass catching type of RB to compliment his bashing style.

Cleveland could afford to trade one of its talented RB's (since Haley only knows how to use one at a time and run the wheels off him), and since Carlos Hyde is their current bellcow, and rookie 2nd round pick Nick Chubb is destined to be their future bellcow, I think they might be willing to move their 3rd down back Duke Johnson, who they don't seem to know how to utilize anymore.

In his first 3 years in the league, he averaged only 85 carries per year for only 300-400 yards on the ground, but he complemented that by catching an average of 60 balls each year as well, for another 500-600 yards through the air. However, through 6 games this year, he only has 19 carries and 11 catches, so he's being woefully underutilized.

That's the kind of role that I hope that Jaylen Samuels can eventually grow into, and Duke would be a heck of a mentor for him (plus he seems like a classy dude since he flashed a "5-0" tribute as his TD celebration shortly after Shazier went down last year). Unfortunately, since we're division rivals, it would probably be a cold day in hell before the Browns traded him within the division, but that's the kind of guy I'd be looking for if possible.

Northern_Blitz
10-17-2018, 12:58 PM
I don't think I have heard anyone say his "market value is going to be so much higher than what the Steelers offered him", I think he will get a better structure with more guaranteed up front and he probably ends up in the 15-17 million dollar per year range. You are trying to create a strawman so when you are shown to be wrong this offseason you can try and claim you were right.

This.

My argument was that he would probably have had more lifetime earnings from taking the two tags, then whatever UFA deal he could get next year.

I think that him skipping out on (at least) half the year this year will make it harder to justify not taking the second offer from the Steelers if his goal is to maximize lifetime earnings.

I'm now thinking that he's only going to come back in week 10. If he was coming back now, I think it would have made sense for him to report last Saturday to pick up some more pay without subjecting his body to more punishment. Since he hasn't reported yet (to my knowledge), I think he's probably trying to play the minimum number of games he can this year.

But I also waiting until the last minute will mean that he loses leverage if the Steelers don't want to pay him while he's on the roster exemption to get in shape.

So...it's another of Bell's decisions that I don't understand / don't think makes sense.

RuthlessBurgher
10-17-2018, 02:11 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Steelers OC Randy Fichtner: "I don't know if there are any limitations to James (Conner's) game right now."

37m

pittpete
10-17-2018, 03:27 PM
With the DL- Chadman is good with Tuitt & Hayward at DE, but has concerns with Hargreave holding up as a NT. Not that he’s a bad player at all, just not sure if he’s a really true NT...

Watch the games...It's kind of rare to see a NT on defense.

Chadman
10-17-2018, 06:01 PM
Watch the games...It's kind of rare to see a NT on defense.

And isn’t it odd that we complain the defenses are not as good as we are used to?

Just because other teams are not using a NT doesn’t make it a rule. All Chadman is saying is that Hargreave, who in his own right is a quality DL, does not attract double teams, which does not therefore free up Hayward or Tuitt, which does not free up the OLB’s as was the case with the successful 3-4 Defenses of the past. Watching the Ravens play every now & then- they seem to play 3 DL quite successfully, although Chadman does have limited exposure to their games over here in Australia..

Could it just be a case that teams, and in this particular case, the Steelers, are focussed far too much on Nickle & Dime defenses and not on defensive schemes that...you know...work?

If you have 3 DL at all times, with a mix of up to 4 LB’s or up to 6 DB’s...Hell, go 7 DB’s if you like...why can’t a double team commanding NT have a rol.e to play in the current defense? Something that has bugged Chadman for a little while is- the Steelers 3-4 scheme has always been built around 3 strong DL’s that eat up blocks. We go away from that & suddenly we can’t figure out why our D sucks. It doesn’t matter if Tom Brady passes 405 times in a game. The fundamentals of a 3-4 DL are the same- guy in the middle crashes the pocket, draws in an OG, one or 2 of your DE’s are going to be blocked by 1 guy, or if they are both double teamed, your OLB’s are facing, at worst, single blockers. If your 3 DL’s are crushing a pocket, whoever is playing QB is going to be hurried. What does it matter if you crush a pocket with a NT in the game instead of 2 DE’s and an extra DB (who we almost all will agree is a sucky DB anyway, regardless of who it is).

NorthCoast
10-17-2018, 07:01 PM
Watch the games...It's kind of rare to see a NT on defense.It's also rare to see a FB on offense.... but it works against today's defenses.

Steel Maniac
10-17-2018, 09:58 PM

You keep focusing on the last offer; but the offer in 2017, we offered 30 something mil guaranteed.

Steel Maniac
10-17-2018, 09:59 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Steelers OC Randy Fichtner: "I don't know if there are any limitations to James (Conner's) game right now."

37m

I love the way you’ve come around to Conner Ruth. :tt2

pittpete
10-17-2018, 10:03 PM
Im not talking about other teams, i'm talking about OUR team.
It is very rare that we have a NT.
There is so much big nickel love going on it's really mind boggling.
Def. snap counts>>
https://www.lineups.com/nfl/snap-counts/defensive-players-snap-counts
Hargrave had 21 snaps Sunday vs. Cincy
Heyward had 49 and Tuitt had 48.
Guess who has more sacks on the year?
Hargrave snaps have been severely limited for no other reason than Butlers big nickel which leaves Vince on the field.
Butler is a moron.

Mr.wizard
10-18-2018, 06:38 AM
You keep focusing on the last offer; but the offer in 2017, we offered 30 something mil guaranteed.

Wrong, just wrong! The details released about his first contract didn't say he got 30 million guaranteed it says he would get 30 million over the first 2 years. All that means is they front loaded the contract, which doesn't do him any good if he get injured, It doesn't tell you how much was guaranteed in that deal but I'm guessing the Steelers didn't go from 30 million guaranteed at signing to 10 million.

Northern_Blitz
10-18-2018, 07:16 AM

And instead he opted for the > $12M guaranteed on the 1 year tag betting that he'd get a good deal the next year.

Since he was healthy last year, this ended up being a good decision. If he would have taken the first tag and then the second long term deal he would have finished better than if he just took the first long term deal.

Then, he turned down the second long term deal (maybe because it turned out to be a good decision the first time). This time, he was looking at getting $15M guaranteed.

I think he would have ended up with more total money if he showed up all of this year and took whatever long term deal he gets next year. I think that works in all cases except catastrophic injury. And even in that case, he would have made close to $30M in 2 years...not too shabby.

But, he's elected to turn down close to half his second tag. I'm not sure that he makes that ~ $5-7M back, but it's not like he'll be eating cat food even if he walks away from football after this year.

In a way, it makes sense to be super aggressive with contract negotiations after your already set for life. Bell would probably live longer (without reducing his quality of life) if he walked away from the game after this year. He's already talked about retirement. I wonder if he does retire if he doesn't get a huge contract as a UFA.

RuthlessBurgher
10-18-2018, 10:11 AM
I love the way you’ve come around to Conner Ruth. :tt2

What?

First of all, I'm not posting my own opinion here. I'm simply cutting-and-pasting what the ESPN Steelers beat writer is saying.

Secondly, when was I not a Conner fan?

RuthlessBurgher
10-24-2018, 01:57 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Post-bye, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is expecting even more from James Conner, who is second in the NFL with seven rushing touchdowns. "I'm excited for him to really get a push," he said. "And be even more involved than he has been."

1h

Ghost
10-24-2018, 02:43 PM
What?

First of all, I'm not posting my own opinion here. I'm simply cutting-and-pasting what the ESPN Steelers beat writer is saying.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who heard Ruthless talk Conner smack out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess he was pretty serious.

RuthlessBurgher
10-24-2018, 03:28 PM
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who heard Ruthless talk Conner smack out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess he was pretty serious.

Thank you, Simone.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMWYzZTVlZGEtZDM5Ny00ODdmLTk0ZTItMzBmNmI3ODg5ZD I3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjAwODA4Mw@@._V1_.jpg

Frye? Frye? Frye?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-24-2018, 07:42 PM

I don't think that Bell thrives as a slot receiver. He excels as a multi-dimensional threat who motions out of the backfield to the slot. I don't know that limiting him to the slot makes him as much of a threat.

Captain Lemming
10-25-2018, 01:53 AM
could it be that the OC isn't an idiot who passes on short yardage?

The last OC called runs on short yardage so frequently when DeAngelo was in that he lead the conference in TD runs.

Seems to me we passed on short yardage because we lacked confidence that Bell would punch it in.

Steel Maniac
10-25-2018, 04:52 PM
What?

My friend, all through march and the mid summer, you told me that the possibility of Conner actually being a legit and taking Bell's position as an option was far fetched. When I suggested that if Conner panned out, the team could look to trade or resend the franchise tag on Bell, you said that was ridiculous.

But the possibility of Conner being the starter and legit option for our future you dismissed. Now you are a Conner fan? Like you were on the original band wagon? All I'm saying is that you've come a long way. Congrats.

Northern_Blitz
10-25-2018, 05:13 PM
My friend, all through march and the mid summer, you told me that the possibility of Conner actually being a legit and taking Bell's position as an option was far fetched. When I suggested that if Conner panned out, the team could look to trade or resend the franchise tag on Bell, you said that was ridiculous.

But the possibility of Conner being the starter and legit option for our future you dismissed. Now you are a Conner fan? Like you were on the original band wagon? All I'm saying is that you've come a long way. Congrats.

I think that most people suggested that we would be able to get something like 80% of Bell's production from other backs. I've been pleasantly surprised that Conner has exceeded my expectations by delivering near equal performance to Bell. I also think the general consensus in the off season was that we'd likely use a high pick in the draft next year (again, happy to look wrong on this).

Rescinding the tag on Bell is ridiculous. It makes the team worse, opens us back up to the potential of one significant injury ruining the season, and makes it so we would get zero compensation for losing Bell. I don't see any reasonable argument for rescinding the tag. If you do, I'd love to hear it.

Disco1981
10-25-2018, 05:59 PM
I don't think that Bell thrives as a slot receiver. He excels as a multi-dimensional threat who motions out of the backfield to the slot. I don't know that limiting him to the slot makes him as much of a threat.

No way...Bells ****fty, But slow afoot...He may catch quick slants but, he has no burst, and would get no separation

Disco1981
10-25-2018, 06:00 PM

I think you made that up 😊

RuthlessBurgher
10-25-2018, 06:40 PM

Rescinding the tag was ridiculous then and it's ridiculous now. Just giving Bell what he wants (immediate unrestricted free agency), allowing him to join a competitor with no compensation to our team, and also forfeiting a future 3rd round comp pick. Still see literally zero positive benefit for this team. But keep patting yourself on the back for predicting that our front office would rescind the tag (which never happened).

Never said a trade was ridiculous. If we could get a pick that is higher than a pick at the end of round 3, and be able to use that pick earlier than 2020 (or trading him for a defensive stud who could potentially help us immediately), would have actually been a smart move if it were available to us (but we are unable to trade a player who has not signed his tag, so this point is moot anyway).

I always liked Conner as a RUNNING back. With the ball in his hands, he has shown the ability to get the job done. Based on seeing the type of warrior he was as he battled back from cancer, he certainly had the potential to become more than just that, but he had yet to show it at that point in time. During this past off-season, there were still legitimate questions about his overall durability, his pass protection ability, and his pass catching ability. Those were 3 big "If's" for a guy you were counting on to be your every-down bellcow, especially when the other options in camp were guys like Stevan Ridley, Jaylon Samuels, and Fitzgerald Touissant. Yeah, I was concerned about putting all of our eggs in the Conner basket in all situations. I would have been more comfortable with him in an early down pack role (and short yardage back role), while finding another RB with more experience with pass blocking and receiving to replace him in a 3rd down back role. I'm thrilled that the dude has exceeded my expectations. Kudos to him.

Steel Maniac
10-26-2018, 09:23 AM
Uh...Okay.

RuthlessBurgher
10-26-2018, 10:15 AM
Uh...Okay.

Just pointing out to you what actually happened.

Did you predict the Steelers would rescind the tag? Yes. you did.

Did they actually rescind the tag? No, they did not.

Did I call rescinding the tag a ridiculous idea then? Yes, I did.

Do I still believe rescinding the tag is a ridiculous idea now? Yes, I do.

Did I ever state that trading Bell was a ridiculous idea? No, I did not.

Was I confident in James Conner's ability to actually tote the rock from day one? Yes, I was.

After his rookie season, were there still lingering questions about Conner's ability to pass protect, catch passes out of the backfield, and about his durability in general? Yes, there were.

Am I pleasantly surprised with his ability so far this season to block, catch, and stay healthy as our every down bellcow back? Yes, I am.

That about sums it up.

Northern_Blitz
10-26-2018, 11:03 AM

Was I confident in James Conner's ability to actually tote the rock from day one? Yes, I was.

After his rookie season, were there still lingering questions about Conner's ability to pass protect, catch passes out of the backfield, and about his durability in general? Yes, there were.

Am I pleasantly surprised with his ability so far this season to block, catch, and stay healthy as our every down bellcow back? Yes, I am.

That about sums it up.

I'm not sure how someone could justify rescinding the tag. The only potential benefit I can see would be creating cap space, but there's no one available to spend the cap space on.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Oviedo
10-26-2018, 12:23 PM

That about sums it up.

Yes...what he said!!!!

Steel Maniac
10-26-2018, 01:06 PM
I'm not sure how someone could justify rescinding the tag. The only potential benefit I can see would be creating cap space, but there's no one available to spend the cap space on.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Let me elaborate...in referring to rescinding the tag, it was based on Conner panning out (which I always believed) and the atmosphere and confusion that Bell would cause on the team not allowing the team to focus on it's main job and that's winning games. Plus allowing us to have money to use to upgrade the secondary.
For the record, I do not agree with Ruth in that he said he had confidence in Conner; he had no confidence in Conner which is why he called my entire scenario ridiculous but I don't have the post to back it. Going forward, I'll make sure to note those things for future reference. Which is why I was so shocked at him talking so highly of Conner.

Northern_Blitz
10-26-2018, 01:19 PM
Let me elaborate...in referring to rescinding the tag, it was based on Conner panning out (which I always believed) and the atmosphere and confusion that Bell would cause on the team not allowing the team to focus on it's main job and that's winning games. Plus allowing us to have money to use to upgrade the secondary.
For the record, I do not agree with Ruth in that he said he had confidence in Conner; he had no confidence in Conner which is why he called my entire scenario ridiculous but I don't have the post to back it. Going forward, I'll make sure to note those things for future reference. Which is why I was so shocked at him talking so highly of Conner.

I think like me he assumed Conner would run well, but struggle in pass pro and receiving the ball. Conner has exceeded all expectations so far IMO.

I believe that by the time I saw people advocating recinding the tag was after all big name UFAs were already signed. IIRC this was around the time he didn't show up in week one as expected. By that time, it's only the dregs that are left and we could sign them without recinding the tag

I was for not tagging him in the first place. Then we could have used the money in D. But I don't see a benefit to freeing up cap space since the 2nd week of the UFA period or so because there's no one to spend it on.

RuthlessBurgher
10-26-2018, 03:27 PM

Dude...first of all, I don't understand why what my opinion of one player months ago matters so much to you, but I'll explain it yet again.

As soon as we drafted Conner, I had confidence in him AS A RUNNER. Dude averaged over five-and-half yards per carry at Pitt and had more than 50 TD's on the ground (in the midst of a torn MCL and coming back from Hodgkin's lymphoma). I never doubted that the dude would be able to tote the rock. Excellent runner from day one. And during his rookie season, he averaged over 5 yards per carry on the ground during the preseason and then 4.5 yards per carry during the regular season. He was off to a solid start AS A RUNNER. But he got hurt near the end of his rookie season (another MCL injury).

Coming into this season, although I was impressed with what he showed AS A RUNNER during his rookie season, he ended the season on I.R. after never carrying the ball more than 5 times in a game (as a rookie, he had 5 carries once, 4 carries twice, 3 carries four times, 2 carries twice, 1 carry three times, and 0 carries twice). That is certainly nowhere close to a bellcow workload, and he ended up on I.R. after that grand total of 32 carries spread across 14 games.

I also had some concerns about his pass protection. I think the coaches were hesitant to give him more carries as a rookie because whiffing on a block nearly got Ben killed.

Lastly, as a rookie, he caught no passes in the regular season. None. He caught 1 ball for a gain of 3 yards in his first preseason. In college, although he carried the ball a grand total of 668 times, he only caught 30 passes total (3 in 2013, 5 in 2014, 1 in 2015, before finally catching 21 balls in 2016). This was not exactly a ringing endorsement for someone who would be taking over for Le'Veon Bell, who is known to catch 70-80 passes per season.

So like I said earlier, I was confident in Conner's abilities AS A RUNNER from day one when we drafted him, but even after his rookie season I still had justifiable lingering questions about his pass protection, pass catching, and his durability. I was always a fan. I was always rooting for the kid. Great, inspirational story.

But I had questions about whether this RUNNER would be able to morph into a Marshall Faulk style ALL PURPOSE OFFENSIVE WEAPON for us like Le'Veon Bell has been for us for the last several years. Frankly, at a similar stage in their development, I had the same questions about whether or not Le'Veon Bell himself would be able to become that type of multidimensional talent beyond just being a uniquely patient runner. But he did develop his game to another level, and it looks like Conner is well on his way there as well. Awesome.

Steel Maniac
10-26-2018, 04:58 PM
I think like me he assumed Conner would run well, but struggle in pass pro and receiving the ball. Conner has exceeded all expectations so far IMO.

I believe that by the time I saw people advocating recinding the tag was after all big name UFAs were already signed. IIRC this was around the time he didn't show up in week one as expected. By that time, it's only the dregs that are left and we could sign them without recinding the tag

I was for not tagging him in the first place. Then we could have used the money in D. But I don't see a benefit to freeing up cap space since the 2nd week of the UFA period or so because there's no one to spend it on.

True, you were never for tagging him.

Steel Maniac
10-26-2018, 05:00 PM
Dude...first of all, I don't understand why what my opinion of one player months ago matters so much to you, but I'll explain it yet again.

As soon as we drafted Conner, I had confidence in him AS A RUNNER. Dude averaged over five-and-half yards per carry at Pitt and had more than 50 TD's on the ground (in the midst of a torn MCL and coming back from Hodgkin's lymphoma). I never doubted that the dude would be able to tote the rock. Excellent runner from day one. And during his rookie season, he averaged over 5 yards per carry on the ground during the preseason and then 4.5 yards per carry during the regular season. He was off to a solid start AS A RUNNER. But he got hurt near the end of his rookie season (another MCL injury).

Coming into this season, although I was impressed with what he showed AS A RUNNER during his rookie season, he ended the season on I.R. after never carrying the ball more than 5 times in a game (as a rookie, he had 5 carries once, 4 carries twice, 3 carries four times, 2 carries twice, 1 carry three times, and 0 carries twice). That is certainly nowhere close to a bellcow workload, and he ended up on I.R. after that grand total of 32 carries spread across 14 games.

I also had some concerns about his pass protection. I think the coaches were hesitant to give him more carries as a rookie because whiffing on a block nearly got Ben killed.

Lastly, as a rookie, he caught no passes in the regular season. None. He caught 1 ball for a gain of 3 yards in his first preseason. In college, although he carried the ball a grand total of 668 times, he only caught 30 passes total (3 in 2013, 5 in 2014, 1 in 2015, before finally catching 21 balls in 2016). This was not exactly a ringing endorsement for someone who would be taking over for Le'Veon Bell, who is known to catch 70-80 passes per season.

So like I said earlier, I was confident in Conner's abilities AS A RUNNER from day one when we drafted him, but even after his rookie season I still had justifiable lingering questions about his pass protection, pass catching, and his durability. I was always a fan. I was always rooting for the kid. Great, inspirational story.

But I had questions about whether this RUNNER would be able to morph into a Marshall Faulk style ALL PURPOSE OFFENSIVE WEAPON for us like Le'Veon Bell has been for us for the last several years. Frankly, at a similar stage in their development, I had the same questions about whether or not Le'Veon Bell himself would be able to become that type of multidimensional talent beyond just being a uniquely patient runner. But he did develop his game to another level, and it looks like Conner is well on his way there as well. Awesome.

Okay..I get what your saying. With that being said, how do you see the team feeling when/if Bell comes back next Wednesday? Boy is it going to be awkward or what?

RuthlessBurgher
10-26-2018, 06:27 PM
Okay..I get what your saying. With that being said, how do you see the team feeling when/if Bell comes back next Wednesday? Boy is it going to be awkward or what?

It will be fine.

What is better for this team as we try to make a long playoff run?

Run the wheels off Conner and if he gets hurt, settle for Stevan Ridley in the playoffs?

Or using Bell and Conner in tandem, keeping them both fresh for the rest of the season?

Mr.wizard
10-26-2018, 07:50 PM

Why is it going to be awkward? These are professional athletes, what the hell do you think is going to happen?

pittpete
10-26-2018, 10:03 PM
Thats funny...Professional athletes only acting professionally.
Thats classic:rolleyes:

Steel Maniac
10-27-2018, 02:54 AM
It will be fine.

Run the wheels off Conner and if he gets hurt, settle for Stevan Ridley in the playoffs?

Or using Bell and Conner in tandem, keeping them both fresh for the rest of the season?

I know the practicality of what your saying but let’s not pretend that Bell didn’t lie to his o-lineman repeatedly about when he was coming back when lying was unnecessary.

Ernie
10-27-2018, 04:33 AM
It will be fine.

I've been an advocate of RB by committee all along. It no doubt makes sense, and gives us the best possible chance to win ballgames.

Mr.wizard
10-27-2018, 09:05 AM
I know the practicality of what your saying but let’s not pretend that Bell didn’t lie to his o-lineman repeatedly about when he was coming back when lying was unnecessary.

What do you mean repeatedly? He told a few guys he would be back week 1, some contracts happened and it changed things for Bell, so he continued his holdout. I doubt his linemen are sitting around worrying about it and honestly it's probably already squashed, this is a football locker room not a women's book club. Guys have come back into locker rooms after killing people, domestic abuse, child abuse, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, but you think the Steelers will fall apart because a guy didn't end his hold out when he said he would?

Buzz
10-27-2018, 09:49 AM
What do you mean repeatedly? He told a few guys he would be back week 1, some contracts happened and it changed things for Bell, so he continued his holdout. I doubt his linemen are sitting around worrying about it and honestly it's probably already squashed, this is a football locker room not a women's book club. Guys have come back into locker rooms after killing people, domestic abuse, child abuse, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, but you think the Steelers will fall apart because a guy didn't end his hold out when he said he would?

I don't know that the Steelers will "fall apart" because of Bell's lie, but I'd say there's some room for concern that he could have a divisive effect in the locker room.

Mr.wizard
10-27-2018, 10:43 AM
I don't know that the Steelers will "fall apart" because of Bell's lie, but I'd say there's some room for concern that he could have a divisive effect in the locker room.

What would they be divided over?

Steel Maniac
10-27-2018, 11:15 AM

So we’re now pretending players were not mad at him huh? :rolleyes:

Some of you kill me how you gloss over stuff.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/early-lead/wp/2018/09/05/leveon-bell-still-hasnt-reported-to-the-steelers-putting-his-week-1-status-in-doubt/

pittpete
10-27-2018, 12:29 PM

Maybe the fact that they are trying to win a superbowl?
You're entitled to your opinion, but do listen to or watch any sports talk programs?
Ex NFL players talk about this all the time when the Bell subject comes up.
You changed "awkward' into a team 'falling apart'
You cant assume you know how players feel just because you say they are all professionals.
If that were true then a lot of dopey things they do wouldn't have been done.
Their all human.

Buzz
10-27-2018, 12:29 PM

It's not just a couple of message board posters raising the issue. I've heard analysts -- including former players -- talk about possible division in the locker room when Bell comes back.

I don't think it's that hard to envision such a scenario. Bell comes back and he's the backup. The team drops a couple of games, and Bell starts campaigning to be the starter. Some of his buddies on the team line up behind him, and others line up behind Conner.

Or, you could have the same kind of thing as what happened with Harrison last year. Bell comes back and doesn't get a lot of playing time. He's unhappy. So he starts acting out. Or even if he's not acting out, he creates a bad undercurrent.

I'm not saying that he will be a problem, I'm just saying it's not that hard for me to imagine that he could be.

Northern_Blitz
10-27-2018, 01:33 PM
You're entitled to your opinion, but do listen to or watch any sports talk programs?
You cant assume you know how players feel just because you say they are all professionals.
Their all human.

I tend to think that most sports talk radio personalities are full of it. Their job is to get as many eyeballs as they can to drive up ad prices.

I think that the O line in particular was pissed at Bell. But I also think that they are trying to win a SB and they get far enough passed it that they can perform well on the field.

They might not be inviting him over for Christmas or anything, but I don't think you need to be best friends to compete at a high level

papillon
10-27-2018, 03:21 PM
I personally don't think that Bell makes the difference in whether or not the Steelers win the Super Bowl. While the offense being able to hold the ball and burn clock to keep the defense off the field is important, it will be the defense that makes or breaks this season. Of course, this is all providing that Conner stays healthy, then Bell could be more critical to the success.

Pappy

Steel Maniac
10-27-2018, 03:32 PM
I personally don't think that Bell makes the difference in whether or not the Steelers win the Super Bowl. While the offense being able to hold the ball and burn clock to keep the defense off the field is important, it will be the defense that makes or breaks this season. Of course, this is all providing that Conner stays healthy, then Bell could be more critical to the success.

Pappy

I agree. Bell does not make a difference in us winning a super bowl this year. Did he make a difference last year??? No. Our defense is what will make/break us as far as that is concerned.

We are more efficient in the red zone then we've been in many years because of how Conner slams in there and gets those rushing TD's at a better rate then Bell ever did. Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that Conner is a better talent then Bell. But what I am saying is that in the red zone, Conner punches it in better then Bell. And our offense has always been fine between the 20's. Red zone efficiency is what we were lacking and we are not lacking now.

We will go as far as our defense will let us go. THAT'S what will determine our fate this year.

Captain Lemming
10-28-2018, 12:03 AM
I agree. Bell does not make a difference in us winning a super bowl this year. Did he make a difference last year??? No. Our defense is what will make/break us as far as that is concerned.

We are more efficient in the red zone then we've been in many years because of how Conner slams in there and gets those rushing TD's at a better rate then Bell ever did. Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying that Conner is a better talent then Bell. But what I am saying is that in the red zone, Conner punches it in better then Bell. And our offense has always been fine between the 20's. Red zone efficiency is what we were lacking and we are not lacking now.

We will go as far as our defense will let us go. THAT'S what will determine our fate this year.

Trivia question?
During Bells career what season is the ONLY season we were in the top half of the league in red zone offense?

The season that DeAngelo lead the team in rushing because Bell missed 10 games.

Shawn
10-28-2018, 07:30 AM
No one wants to just say it but Conner > Bell in nearly every way. From short yardage to rapping to attitude to not getting suspended to not having an apostrophe in his first name. Plus he's here.yeah I’m not the biggest Bell fan right now but the only thing true about that statement is he’s not here.

Ernie
10-28-2018, 09:32 AM
yeah I’m not the biggest Bell fan right now but the only thing true about that statement is he’s not here.

plus the attitude thing. Conner is a consummate team play... a guy his teammates rally around.

Bell on the other hand......

Mr.wizard
10-28-2018, 12:30 PM
Their all human.

I watch plenty of sports programs and there are plenty of people saying he will be welcomed back into the locker room without any problems. I don't have to assume how the players feel, I already pointed out that players have done far worse and were able to return to a team, there is a precedent.

NorthCoast
10-28-2018, 12:57 PM
One factor that is being overlooked, it took the OL several weeks to adjust to Connor's running style. Bell comes back there will likely be another few weeks to adjust again. That means Bell might be effective for all of 1/4 of the season. The Steelers pretty much have to ride Connor right into the playoffs... which is fine by me.

Ernie
10-28-2018, 03:59 PM
Conner... absolutely tearing it up again today. 3rd game this year of 100+ yds rushing and 50 rec.
to put it into perspective, Bell did that once all of last year. Bell can stay home as far as I'm concerned. Conner is our RB1.

Steelwolf
10-28-2018, 04:01 PM
Pay him bells money ....been real leaveon

fordfixer
10-28-2018, 04:14 PM
ESPN Staff Writer http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/columnists/full/fowler_jeremy.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
James Conner is much more than a fill-in. He's a catalyst - and a Browns killer, with 404 total yards in two games against them. Conner is proving the Steelers need to give him a healthy number of carries each week. When he gets going, the Steelers are tough to stop because of their passing weapons.

pittpete
10-28-2018, 04:30 PM
Not taking anything away from Conner, but perhaps Bell isnt so special after all?:rolleyes:

Buzz
10-28-2018, 05:57 PM
Not taking anything away from Conner, but perhaps Bell isnt so special after all?:rolleyes:

Yep. I think Bell hurt his market value for next year by holding out. Conner has shown that Bell isn't quite as valuable as it previously appeared.

Mr.wizard
10-28-2018, 06:06 PM
Yep. I think Bell hurt his market value for next year by holding out. Conner has shown that Bell isn't quite as valuable as it previously appeared.

Well it only hurts his value with the Steelers, we don't need him we have Conner. Other teams looking to add a dynamic back will still be bidding on him next year.

pittpete
10-28-2018, 06:34 PM
I hope Bell gets as much as his greedy heart desires......;)

Buzz
10-28-2018, 07:51 PM
Well it only hurts his value with the Steelers, we don't need him we have Conner. Other teams looking to add a dynamic back will still be bidding on him next year.

Don't know if they will be bidding as high as they otherwise would have. How much of Bell's success was due to the OL? Plus, how strong will his commitment be to his team? Can't see anyone giving him Gurley money, but maybe I'm wrong.

In any event, he won't be back with the Steelers, and I can't tell you how happy I am about that right now.

Buzz
10-28-2018, 07:54 PM
I watch plenty of sports programs and there are plenty of people saying he will be welcomed back into the locker room without any problems. I don't have to assume how the players feel, I already pointed out that players have done far worse and were able to return to a team, there is a precedent.

He might be welcomed back in, but he will be welcomed back in as a BACKUP. How is that going to sit with Mr. Bell?

Mr.wizard
10-28-2018, 09:48 PM
He might be welcomed back in, but he will be welcomed back in as a BACKUP. How is that going to sit with Mr. Bell?

He doesn't have a choice and being that he doesn't want to be over used I'm sure he will be fine with it.

NorthCoast
10-28-2018, 09:53 PM
He doesn't have a choice and being that he doesn't want to be over used I'm sure he will be fine with it.Amen. I won't claim to be able to read Bell's mind but it wouldn't surprise me if he is willing to ride pine the rest of the season and wait for his payday next year.

Mr.wizard
10-28-2018, 09:58 PM
Don't know if they will be bidding as high as they otherwise would have. How much of Bell's success was due to the OL? Plus, how strong will his commitment be to his team? Can't see anyone giving him Gurley money, but maybe I'm wrong.

In any event, he won't be back with the Steelers, and I can't tell you how happy I am about that right now.

He is getting paid and he is getting Gurley money probably more. Our o-line is good but Bell was very dynamic and a huge matchup problem for defenses, he is considered an elite back. Conner is also a dynamic back, I think it's more likely that we have two excellent running backs, rather than the idea that we can just stick anyone in our backfield and make them a superstar.

Shawn
10-29-2018, 04:15 AM
He is getting paid and he is getting Gurley money probably more. Our o-line is good but Bell was very dynamic and a huge matchup problem for defenses, he is considered an elite back. Conner is also a dynamic back, I think it's more likely that we have two excellent running backs, rather than the idea that we can just stick anyone in our backfield and make them a superstar. this is true. Bell is one of the best backs in the last decade if not decades. Conner is a good back, great story. I don’t feel a need to bash bell. I do think he overplayed his hand. He got some real ish advice that has blown up in his face. His market imo has lessened quite a bit due to the hold out, attitude, year out of football (likely) and now people wondering if it’s the Steelers OL rather than Bell talent. He won’t get what he believes he deserves.

Ernie
10-29-2018, 06:32 AM
Conner is ranked 3rd in the league in rushing right now, and is very productive as a receiver as well. His much improved pass blocking has not gone unnoticed as well. I think its fair to say he's one of the best backs in the league right now.

Mr.wizard
10-29-2018, 06:36 AM
this is true. Bell is one of the best backs in the last decade if not decades. Conner is a good back, great story. I don’t feel a need to bash bell. I do think he overplayed his hand. He got some real ish advice that has blown up in his face. His market imo has lessened quite a bit due to the hold out, attitude, year out of football (likely) and now people wondering if it’s the Steelers OL rather than Bell talent. He won’t get what he believes he deserves.

Well fans are and some talking heads are saying that his value has taken a hit, not because they have anything to back that up but because they want it to be true. What Bell has done this year is smart but not popular, just look at what happened to Earl Thomas, his agent and Bell know what they are doing they wouldn't forego that much money every week if there wasn't a bigger payout at the end of it.

Starlifter
10-29-2018, 06:59 AM
connor has played fantastic - but that doesn't make him a LB. But this is where the business side comes in and colbert has to make a decision next year. I believe LB has forfeited around 8 million so far this year. Connor in his rookie deal (also if memory serves) makes around 800k. So the question they will be asking is - is the difference in productivity between the two worth the over 10 times difference in pay?

Oviedo
10-29-2018, 07:33 AM

I think Bell will still get lots of reps. Don't be surprised to see him in the slot quite a bit with Connor at RB. But I get the point of your post. It won't be like before and his touches will be way down which I think fits perfectly into what Bell wants.

Steel Maniac
10-29-2018, 09:56 AM
Conner is ranked 3rd in the league in rushing right now, and is very productive as a receiver as well. His much improved pass blocking has not gone unnoticed as well. I think its fair to say he's one of the best backs in the league right now.

Conner is a top 5 back right now in the league. Easily.

Oviedo
10-29-2018, 10:03 AM
He is getting paid and he is getting Gurley money probably more. Our o-line is good but Bell was very dynamic and a huge matchup problem for defenses, he is considered an elite back. Conner is also a dynamic back, I think it's more likely that we have two excellent running backs, rather than the idea that we can just stick anyone in our backfield and make them a superstar.

I'm not sure he gets more than Gurley. IMO Gurley is better and has never demonstrated a "me first" attitude like Bell. If I were another team. I'd have questions about Bell's attitude when things go bad. Will he slack off?

Buzz
10-29-2018, 10:04 AM
He doesn't have a choice and being that he doesn't want to be over used I'm sure he will be fine with it.

If he's a competitor, I have a hard time seeing him being "fine" with not playing. I just keep thinking about Harrison last year.

Buzz
10-29-2018, 10:05 AM
Well fans are and some talking heads are saying that his value has taken a hit, not because they have anything to back that up but because they want it to be true. What Bell has done this year is smart but not popular, just look at what happened to Earl Thomas, his agent and Bell know what they are doing they wouldn't forego that much money every week if there wasn't a bigger payout at the end of it.

We'll see how smart Bell is when he signs a contract next year. I have a feeling he won't look all that brilliant.

Buzz
10-29-2018, 10:07 AM
I'm not sure he gets more than Gurley. IMO Gurley is better and has never demonstrated a "me first" attitude like Bell. If I were another team. I'd have questions about Bell's attitude when things go bad. Will he slack off?

Teams would be stupid not to have that concern.

squidkid
10-29-2018, 10:08 AM

is earl thomas not getting paid now because he got injured?

RuthlessBurgher
10-29-2018, 10:16 AM
is earl thomas not getting paid now because he got injured?

He's entering unrestricted free agency in the offseason while rehabbing an injury.

If healthy, he potentially could have broken the bank as the premier FS in the game today (6 time Pro Bowler, including 1st team All Pro 3 time and 2nd team All Pro twice)...a long term deal with a huge guaranteed signing bonus.

But coming off a major injury like he is now, he may have to settle for a short-term "prove-it" type of deal this offseason instead.

Huge difference.

Captain Lemming
10-29-2018, 06:04 PM
He's entering unrestricted free agency in the offseason while rehabbing an injury.

If healthy, he potentially could have broken the bank as the premier FS in the game today (6 time Pro Bowler, including 1st team All Pro 3 time and 2nd team All Pro twice)...a long term deal with a huge guaranteed signing bonus.

But coming off a major injury like he is now, he may have to settle for a short-term "prove-it" type of deal this offseason instead.

Huge difference.

While I get your point.....as a Steeler fan needing a great safety....I kinda like how that sounds.:)

Steel Maniac
10-29-2018, 06:30 PM
stop flirting with my emotions Captain. LOL

NorthCoast
10-29-2018, 07:59 PM
Bell's best scoring season was 2017 with 13 TDs. Conner currently sitting at 9 TDs. If he sustains this rate, he will be far more valuable to the Steelers than Bell ever was. The signs are looking positive but too soon to crown him.

Buzz
10-30-2018, 12:00 AM
Paul Zeise: Le'Veon Bell bet on himself and lost

Le’Veon Bell apparently thinks he is helping himself in the long-term by sacrificing games and paychecks with the Steelers this year. His agent, Adisa Bakari, is presumably on board with this plan and has made comments publicly that indicate as much.

If that’s the case, here is the one thing out of this dilemma that becomes clearer every week: Bell needs a new agent.

Let me rephrase that a little. Bell needs someone to give him better advice. This holdout has been nothing but a bad look for Bell and there is no chance he is helping his quest for a long-term deal.

He gambled on the belief that he wasn’t replaceable, but he didn’t plan on James Conner producing like he has. Conner has made Bell more and more expendable, which isn’t helping Bell’s quest for a big deal in the offseason. Bell could still return and put up huge numbers, but that possibility becomes more remote each week.

Many of Bell’s teammates sound like they would rather stick with Conner as the starting running back.

“James was a bowling ball [against the Bengals], he was all over the place. What a great game,” Ben Roethlisberger said after the Steelers won, 28-21, Sunday at Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati. “But I know it is his last game for us since Le’Veon’s coming back.”

The line drew laughs, but Roethlisberger was being more sarcastic than funny. This isn’t the first time he has sent a message that he is growing increasingly comfortable with Conner, who rushed for 111 yards and two touchdowns Sunday. Last week on his radio show he said Conner should “by no means” have to go on the shelf when Bell comes back.

That’s bad news for Bell; Roethlisberger generally gets what he wants.

To prove his value, [Bell] gambled that the Steelers wouldn’t be able to replace his production. He has lost that bet.

Conner has proven that he can replicate most, if not all, of what Bell can do. Conner has also proven Bell’s receiving numbers — a big piece of his claim that his contract should set the market for running backs — are mostly a product of the Steelers’ offense.

Bell will still get paid, but he will be lucky to get a deal as good as the one the Steelers offered. He has gotten bad advice from the start — and it is going to cost him millions.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/z...box=1539688721

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-30-2018, 01:33 PM

Is he getting Gurley money? I don't think so. Too many fans took to calling Bell the best back in football. Was he? He was certainly in the group of backs that are at the top, but in no way does he unequivocally stand above. Personally, I think that on the field, Gurley is a better back. Opinion, not fact. I understand other arguments as well, including Zeke Elliot and David Johnson. All have merit, but there is no merit to saying one of these guys is far better than the rest.

Other factors in doing a deal with Bell compared to Gurley:

Bell is older - 2 years, 166 days older than Gurley
Bell has more mileage on him - 503 more career touches than Gurley
Bell has a lengthier injury histpry - Gurley has missed four career games in 3 1/2 years. First two to start his career as he eased into the league coming off college ACL injury. He missed one at the end of a season when playoff spot was clinched, and one game due to turf toe. Bell has missed 17 regular season and 3 playoff games. He has had a Lisfranc injury, ACL sprain, and MCL tear. He has also had a concussion and sports hernia which did not cause him to miss games.
Suspension - Finally, Bell has a suspension history and the idea that one more causes him to lose a season has to stay in the back of your mind when negotiating. Gurley has no such concern.
Intangibles - As a team you want guys who are dying to be on the field, competitors, and team players. Gurley proved that he wanted to get a deal done. Bell turned down an offer that his agent wanted him to accept last season. He has publicly stated contract demands and that he "wanted to reset the market". Not saying he is wrong for trying to battle for his oppressed running back brothers, but as a GM I would prefer the player who raps about wanting to win the Super Bowl.

Bottom line, any team who gives him money comparable to Gurley is not getting value.

Mr.wizard
10-30-2018, 07:23 PM
Is he getting Gurley money? I don't think so. Too many fans took to calling Bell the best back in football. Was he? He was certainly in the group of backs that are at the top, but in no way does he unequivocally stand above. Personally, I think that on the field, Gurley is a better back. Opinion, not fact. I understand other arguments as well, including Zeke Elliot and David Johnson. All have merit, but there is no merit to saying one of these guys is far better than the rest.

Other factors in doing a deal with Bell compared to Gurley:

Bell is older - 2 years, 166 days older than Gurley
Bell has more mileage on him - 503 more career touches than Gurley
Bell has a lengthier injury histpry - Gurley has missed four career games in 3 1/2 years. First two to start his career as he eased into the league coming off college ACL injury. He missed one at the end of a season when playoff spot was clinched, and one game due to turf toe. Bell has missed 17 regular season and 3 playoff games. He has had a Lisfranc injury, ACL sprain, and MCL tear. He has also had a concussion and sports hernia which did not cause him to miss games.
Suspension - Finally, Bell has a suspension history and the idea that one more causes him to lose a season has to stay in the back of your mind when negotiating. Gurley has no such concern.
Intangibles - As a team you want guys who are dying to be on the field, competitors, and team players. Gurley proved that he wanted to get a deal done. Bell turned down an offer that his agent wanted him to accept last season. He has publicly stated contract demands and that he "wanted to reset the market". Not saying he is wrong for trying to battle for his oppressed running back brothers, but as a GM I would prefer the player who raps about wanting to win the Super Bowl.

Bottom line, any team who gives him money comparable to Gurley is not getting value.

Why do you think he has to be the best back in football in order to get more than gurley? That isn't at all how NFL Free Agency works, it.s about timing.

squidkid
10-30-2018, 07:27 PM

Huge difference.

so the team was correct in letting him fulfill the contract HE wanted and agreed to.
smart move by the team.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-31-2018, 09:26 AM
Why do you think he has to be the best back in football in order to get more than gurley? That isn't at all how NFL Free Agency works, it.s about timing.

I don't think he has to be the best, but I do think that there are enough red flags to limit the number of bidders willing to make him that kind of deal. If he does get a similar deal it will be from a team with a history of bad personnel decisions and IMO it will not work out - i.e. Browns, Skins, Jets (although with the way Chubb is looking, and with the dismissal of Haley, I don't think it's the Browns).

RuthlessBurgher
10-31-2018, 10:56 AM
James Conner named AFC offensive player of the week

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 31, 2018, 9:35 AM EDT

Le’Veon who?

Steelers running back James Conner, the fill-in for unsigned starter Le'Veon Bell, is showing with each passing week that he’s more than capable of filling Bell’s shoes. And today he’s been honored for his latest impressive performance.

The NFL named Conner the AFC’s offensive player of the week after he went off for 212 total yards in a win over the Browns.

Conner is now on pace to finish this season with 1,369 rushing yards, 738 receiving yards and 21 touchdowns. Bell finished last season with 1,291 rushing yards, 655 receiving yards, and 11 touchdowns.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/31/james-conner-named-afc-offensive-player-of-the-week/

Northern_Blitz
10-31-2018, 11:21 AM

I think Bell isn't as good as Gurley.

But Gurley signed his contract while he was unable to negotiate with any other teams. So, his deal is likely below what he would get as a UFA.

I don't think it's impossible that Bell would get more (but I do think it's less likely given how this year has turned out).

RuthlessBurgher
10-31-2018, 11:21 AM
Conner is once again expected to serve as Pittsburgh's lead back Sunday in Baltimore after Le'Veon Bell (contract dispute) failed to report to the team Wednesday for the Steelers' first practice of Week 9, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

Analysis: There was some thought that Bell might rejoin the Steelers this week after he stayed put in Pittsburgh following Tuesday's trade deadline, but it appears the three-time Pro Bowler's prolonged holdout will extend through at least one more game. Given that Bell can still become a free agent this season if he reports to the team prior to Week 11, there's a good chance he'll also remain away from the team for its Thursday night game against the Panthers in Week 10. Conner has taken full advantage of Bell's absence through Pittsburgh's first seven contests, averaging 4.7 yards per carry and hauling in 31 receptions while reaching the end zone nine times. That exceptional production could be enough for Connor to keep the top backfield job even once Bell returns, especially with the Steelers seemingly on course to part ways with the disgruntled three-time Pro Bowler after the season.

Ernie
10-31-2018, 02:47 PM
James Conner named AFC offensive player of the week

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 31, 2018, 9:35 AM EDT

Le’Veon who?

Steelers running back James Conner, the fill-in for unsigned starter Le'Veon Bell, is showing with each passing week that he’s more than capable of filling Bell’s shoes. And today he’s been honored for his latest impressive performance.

The NFL named Conner the AFC’s offensive player of the week after he went off for 212 total yards in a win over the Browns.

Conner is now on pace to finish this season with 1,369 rushing yards, 738 receiving yards and 21 touchdowns. Bell finished last season with 1,291 rushing yards, 655 receiving yards, and 11 touchdowns.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/10/31/james-conner-named-afc-offensive-player-of-the-week/

He's definitely on fire right now. Just hope he can stay healthy. I remember a former member of this forum say that Conner was a "1000 yard back".in the NFL now. Seems pretty laughable now. JC is the real deal... headed to a pro bowl if he keeps this up.

flippy
10-31-2018, 04:25 PM
I don't think it's impossible that Bell would get more (but I do think it's less likely given how this year has turned out).

I think it's impossible. Bell lost his leverage when he admitted he doesn't want to carry the ball 400+ times a season and break down. It's his tell. He's saying his career is done or close to it. Why would anyone want to take a chance on a guy for gobs of money when he himself is saying he doesn't want touches and doesn't want to be overused?

I don't remember Gurley and his agent talking about not being able to handle workload. It'd be like you or I telling our boss that we want to get a huge raise but instead of putting in 8, 10, 12, 15 hour days (whatever the amount), we're only going to work about 4 hours per day.

Mr.wizard
10-31-2018, 06:53 PM
I think it's impossible. Bell lost his leverage when he admitted he doesn't want to carry the ball 400+ times a season and break down. It's his tell. He's saying his career is done or close to it. Why would anyone want to take a chance on a guy for gobs of money when he himself is saying he doesn't want touches and doesn't want to be overused?

I don't remember Gurley and his agent talking about not being able to handle workload. It'd be like you or I telling our boss that we want to get a huge raise but instead of putting in 8, 10, 12, 15 hour days (whatever the amount), we're only going to work about 4 hours per day.

That is not what he said, he didn't want 400 carries without having a long term deal in place, that is a big difference.

NorthCoast
10-31-2018, 07:24 PM
That is not what he said, he didn't want 400 carries without having a long term deal in place, that is a big difference.Correct. He wants the money guaranteed whether he carries 2 times a game, or 30. If I'm paying the bill, I want 30 carries a game, of course with the increased risk of injury. So Bell is pushing the risk of overuse from himself onto the team that signs him. Smart if you can get it done.

RuthlessBurgher
11-01-2018, 11:25 AM
James Conner is the AFC’s offensive player of the month

Posted by Mike Florio on November 1, 2018, 10:20 AM EDT

Le’Veon, Schme’Veon.

The Steelers have moved on without Le'Veon Bell, and it’s been a much easier task thanks to the emergence of second-year tailback James Conner.

A former Pitt standout who overcame cancer to make it to the NFL, Conner has now become the AFC’s offensive player of the month for October.

In only three games (due to the bye week), Conner gained 367 yards rushing. He added 159 yards receiving, and Conner scored six touchdowns.

For the year, Conner has multiple rushing touchdowns in four of seven games. He’s only the fourth player with two or fewer years of experience to accomplish that, joining Hall of Famers Steve Van Buren, Jim Brown, and Eric Dickerson.

Conner, who also was the AFC’s offensive player of the week for Week Eight, has outperformed any and all reasonable expectations for his first season as the starter, raising real questions about whether the Steelers want Bell to return for the playoff run. As recently explained here, it’s possible that the Steelers will tell Bell that, if he stays away for the full season, the Steelers won’t re-tag him in 2019, allowing him to become a free agent.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/01/james-conner-is-the-afcs-offensive-player-of-the-month/