PDA

View Full Version : James Washington

Slapstick
09-25-2018, 01:04 PM
I really like what he is doing so far, but I donít think heís going to have a breakout year in 2018...

Last year, Jujuís main competition for snaps was Martavis Bryant...

This year, Washingtonís main competition for snaps is...Juju...

Also, last year, McDonald wasnít healthy...but, if he can stay on the field this year, I can definitely see more 2 TE sets on offense, which would also cut into his opportunities...

I hope he keeps doing what he is doing, making tough catches for important first downs and TDs...

But, barring an injury, I donít think itís fair to expect a Smith-Schuster level of success...at least, not this year...

K Train
09-25-2018, 01:09 PM
Juju is far to versatile to get pushed for playing time. I think Washington will be a nice addition to the team and he may have some moments this year but hes largely a reserve player with how always open AB/Juju are and how the TEs are currently playing, even when hes on the field hes going to be an afterthought for ben unless the matchup is something theyve been keeping an eye on

Buzz
09-25-2018, 01:11 PM
He's already the #3 WR. Keep making those tough catches and let the "breakout year" worry about itself.

He's one of the big positives on the season so far.

Starlifter
09-25-2018, 01:20 PM
Like what I’m seeing there. Switzer as well for that matter - though that bobble gave me a brief palpitation.

feltdizz
09-25-2018, 01:30 PM
I love what I’m seeing from Washington. He will have a few big catches this year too.

Its only the 3rd game and he is already making plays.

RuthlessBurgher
09-25-2018, 02:08 PM
Provided none of our wideouts get hurt in the meantime, it's possible that the team does not activate Eli Rogers from PUP when he is eligible to return next month. He may just revert to I.R. Or get traded before week 8.

Oviedo
09-25-2018, 03:01 PM
I love what JW is doing. Fights for balls and uses his body to shield defenders...kinda like the "anti-Mike Wallace"

RuthlessBurgher
09-25-2018, 03:13 PM
James Washington has an odd body type for a wideout...he's built more like an RB.

For example, his listed height & weight (5'11" 214) is between Shady McCoy (5'11" 210) and Marshawn Lynch (5'11" 215).

Slapstick
09-25-2018, 03:22 PM
James Washington has an odd body type for a wideout...he's built more like an RB.

For example, his listed height & weight (5'11" 214) is between Shady McCoy (5'11" 210) and Marshawn Lynch (5'11" 215).

He seems to have a good ability to high point the football....

Perhaps he could teach it to our DBs?;)

K Train
09-25-2018, 03:26 PM
he has really good body control too, able to twist and contort himself to the ball

Docosc
09-25-2018, 04:24 PM
Described it as "combat catches." Love that moniker, wish our DB's could do that. Of course, then they would not be DB's, would they?

steelz09
09-25-2018, 11:18 PM
Described it as "combat catches." Love that moniker, wish our DB's could do that. Of course, then they would not be DB's, would they?

I would be happy if our DB just made things combative even if the WR does catch the ball. That would be a major improvement over guys running wide open.

Northern_Blitz
09-26-2018, 12:03 AM
I would be happy if our DB just made things combative even if the WR does catch the ball. That would be a major improvement over guys running wide open.

Or even if they were within arms reach of WRs when they caught balls. I'm don't feel like that's asking too much.

I'm hoping that the D isn't quite as bad as it's looked because we've played 2 very strong offensive teams...but it's hard to hang my hat on that one when guys just seem so open all the time. At least we have lots of room to improve?

papillon
09-26-2018, 12:06 AM
He seems to have a good ability to high point the football....

Perhaps he could teach it to our DBs?;)

Before they can high point the ball, they have to be close to the receiver. :D

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
10-18-2018, 10:39 AM
Breakout stalled, James Washington still searching for 'Top Gun' moves

8:00 AM ET

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- While a record-breaking receiver at Oklahoma State, James Washington often got free on a move his coaches called "Top Gun": creating separation with a hip push-off is like hitting the air brakes and watching the jet fly by.

Only one problem navigating that move against NFL cornerbacks.

"They call it 'throw by' here. It's illegal," the Pittsburgh Steelers rookie receiver said. "Unless you can do it subtly. I'm trying to become a pro."

That means mastering the nuances of the receiver position in the Steelers offense, which is the next crucial step for the clearly talented second-rounder.

Watch Washington in a practice setting and you'll see at least one impressive play from the graceful leaper who excels at the combat catch.

But as a third or fourth receiving option in Pittsburgh, Washington is stuck on five catches for 49 yards despite 14 targets. That 35.7 percent success rate is well below the next-closest receiver with at least 10 targets, Antonio Brown, who has 40 catches on 72 targets (55 percent).

To be sure, many plays designed for Washington are intermediate or deep passes with a lower success rate. But finding a rhythm on the field has admittedly been a process for Washington, who was held on one deep ball (a no-call) and was called for pass interference on another. In the Week 6 victory over Cincinnati, the Steelers turned to veteran Justin Hunter over Washington late in the game.

For the first time, Washington is adjusting to a supporting role.

"We’ve got a lot of mouths to feed in this offense," Washington said. "[A breakout] can happen at any time. Just when, I don’t know. I just got to keep trying to do my job and make the plays that come my way. It’s kind of challenging at times. I’m trying to get used to it. At Oklahoma State, there were only a few of us. Here, you’ve got to accept the role you’re given and try to do what you can do."

A catalyst is a chemistry with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who has said he planned to be patient with Washington. Still, on occasion Big Ben has given Washington a few where-were-you-headed glances after failed plays. Pittsburgh's offense requires receivers to understand every spot along the formation and make adjustments based on coverages.

Washington admits he's most comfortable in one-on-one settings, but "with [Brown] on the team, you see a lot of different things." It's up to him to make plays happen depending on how Brown is bracketed in coverage.

"It’s a lot better than what it was," Washington said about the connection with Roethlisberger. "There’s times where one thinks this, the other thinks this. But, I guess just over time it will [smooth out]. I’ve talked to JuJu [Smith-Schuster] all the time, and he said at this point last year, he was still making some mistakes. You’ve just got to keep trying. You can’t give up."

Smith-Schuster, himself a second-round pick in 2017, had 17 catches for 192 yards through his first six games but has exploded since, on pace for 100-plus catches and nearly 1,500 yards in his second season.

The Steelers aren't ripping the ball deep like in recent years. Thirteen of Roethlisberger's 261 passing attempts on the season traveled 31 yards or farther downfield, completing two of those attempts. That's 4.98 percent of the time, compared to 7-plus percent the previous two seasons.

But Washington has been a target on several of those vertical shots, and the coaches have told him they would keep sending him deep.

When the ball's in the air, Washington plans to show NFL savvy.

"Just trying to convert my mind to play and think like a pro," Washington said. "Just pick up where [teammates] are, that’s the main thing."

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/29007/breakout-stalled-james-washington-still-searching-for-top-gun-moves

Low Frequency

Steelers rookie receiver James Washington isn't clicking with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger just yet. Here's a breakdown of the team's reception frequency per target.

Player - Rec. - Targets - Percentage

JuJu Smith-Schuster 42 63 66.7
Antonio Brown 40 72 55.0
Vance McDonald 20 24 83.3
Jesse James 17 21 80.9
James Conner 26 35 74.2
Ryan Switzer 13 15 86.6
James Washington 5 14 35.7

Steel Maniac
10-19-2018, 11:08 AM
He's already the #3 WR. Keep making those tough catches and let the "breakout year" worry about itself.

He's one of the big positives on the season so far.

I agree. Washington just needs to keep making plays. Him coming up that seem will keep those safeties from committing to AB and JuJu. Just him getting 2-3 catches in a game keeps things right for AB & JuJu

AzStillers1989
10-19-2018, 07:02 PM
He is going to get his. This offense actually has a lot of weapons. Just got to keep trusting the process and staying vigilant towards opportunities.