Inside LB realeased...Interest?

hawaiiansteel
05-22-2018, 05:59 PM
Inside LB realeased...Interest?

Eagles release inside linebacker Mychal Kendricks

By Chris Wesseling
Around the NFL Writer
Published: May 22, 2018

"Now that he's free, Kendricks figures to generate plenty of interest on the open market, perhaps even from the cross-state Steelers, who are still in search of a replacement for Ryan Shazier."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000933857/article/eagles-release-inside-linebacker-mychal-kendricks

pittpete
05-22-2018, 06:23 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2777370-mychal-kendricks-released-by-eagles-after-6-seasons

'He was especially effective when dropping into coverage, but Pro Football Focus showed he can also rush the passer when asked'

Buzz
05-22-2018, 07:13 PM
Yes, yes and yes!

But can we come up with the cap space?

Iron City Inc.
05-22-2018, 07:35 PM
He would be an upgrade. Heck he may be better then any ilb on the roster. If money works it's an upgrade over the athletic but not as talented Fort. And he is what only 28 so he should have a few good years left. Long shot but worth it imho.

Coolie Man
05-22-2018, 08:50 PM
Should, could, won’t. He’ll be a Rat or a Pat by the end of the week.

Slapstick
05-22-2018, 08:56 PM
It all depends on what he wants. He’s better suited to ILB in a 3-4..they didn’t like him as a starter in a 4-3 in Philly...

Northern_Blitz
05-22-2018, 10:48 PM
I said this in the other thread, but I think we'd have to work hard to sell the Steelers as a place where he'd have a good opportunity to start.

I'd love to have him on the team because I think we're kind of screwed if we lose Bostic to injury. But, I bet he goes somewhere where he's clearly the starter.

Buzz
05-23-2018, 12:09 AM
I said this in the other thread, but I think we'd have to work hard to sell the Steelers as a place where he'd have a good opportunity to start.

I'd love to have him on the team because I think we're kind of screwed if we lose Bostic to injury. But, I bet he goes somewhere where he's clearly the starter.

He'd be the best ILB on our roster in 2018.

Captain Lemming
05-23-2018, 12:53 AM

How many teams would he have a better chance at starting than with us?
Not like we got probowlers at the position.
It is arguably the weakest position on the team.

If he cant start with us, he aint a starter.

RuthlessBurgher
05-23-2018, 10:40 AM
It all depends on what he wants. He’s better suited to ILB in a 3-4..they didn’t like him as a starter in a 4-3 in Philly...

Projected starting ILB's in a 3-4 defense:
NYJ: Darron Lee and Avery Williamson
NE: Dont'a Hightower and Kyle Van Noy
PIT: Jon Bostic and Vince Williams
HOU: Zach Cunningham and Bernardrick McKinney
TEN: Wesley Woodyard and Rashaan Evans
DEN: Brandon Marshall and Todd Davis
KC: Anthony Hitchens and Reggie Ragland
WAS: Mason Foster and Zach Brown
CHI: Roquan Smith and Danny Trevathan
GB: Jake Ryan and Blake Martinez
LAR: Mark Barron and Bryce Hager

Projected starting MLB's in a 4-3 defense:
BUF: Tremaine Edmunds
MIA: Raekwon McMillan
BAL: C.J. Mosley
CIN: Preston Brown
CLE: Joe Schobert
IND: Antonio Morrison
JAX: Blair Brown
LAC: Hayes Pullard
OAK: Tahir Whitehead
DAL: Jaylon Smith
NYG: B.J. Goodson
PHI: Jordan Hicks
DET: Jarrad Davis
MIN: Eric Kendricks
ATL: Deion Jones
CAR: Luke Kuechly
NO: Demario Davis
TB: Kwon Alexander
ARZ: Josh Bynes
SEA: Bobby Wagner
SF: Reuben Foster

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-23-2018, 10:43 AM
Well Bostic may be better than VW & MK is better than Bostic. So....

They tried to go get Evans...I don't think there is any question there has to be interest. Now...Money? That's the real question.

You put MK in the mix on D...NO question the defense is at it's best being without Shazier.

Iron City Inc.
05-23-2018, 12:09 PM
Well Bostic may be better than VW & MK is better than Bostic. So....

They tried to go get Evans...I don't think there is any question there has to be interest. Now...Money? That's the real question.

You put MK in the mix on D...NO question the defense is at it's best being without Shazier.

Excellent post. A year back we offered Hightower big bucks so the $ can be had if they want to get this backer on board. Not saying he is Hightower point being there is a way to make it happen. It would be a very solid move for us.

RuthlessBurgher
05-23-2018, 12:20 PM
It's not as if we signed Jon Bostic to big money starter's dollars...the contract we gave Jon Bostic in 2018 (a 2 year, $4,000,000 contract, including a $1,400,000 signing bonus) is smaller than the contract that we gave Arthur Moats back in 2015 (3 year, $7,500,000 contract, including a $1,900,000 signing bonus).

RuthlessBurgher
05-23-2018, 02:44 PM
Kendricks was scheduled to make a base salary of $5.85M this season.

What if we offered him the same deal we gave Morgan Burnett (3 year, $14.35 million contract with a $4.25 million signing bonus)?

The signing bonus is spread out over each of those 3 years (a bit over $1.4M each season), with base salaries of $1M in 2018, $5M in 2019, and $4M in 2020.

In this scenario, via the upfront signing bonus plus the first year base salary, he'd pocket $5.25M this year (just slightly less than the $5.85M the Eagles would have paid him for this season if they kept him), but he would only count about $2.4M against our 2018 cap.

If all works out well, we can keep him beyond this year, but since his base salaries increase to $5M in 2019 and $4M in 2020), his cap hit would rise to about $6.4M in 2019 then about $5.4M in 2020. If it doesn't work out, then we can cut him after this year for about a $2.8M dead cap charge in 2019 if it's a pre-June 1 designation, or about a $1.4M dead cap charge in each of 2019 and 2020 if it's a post June 1 designation.

He gets pretty darn close to what he was expecting to earn in Philly this year, we get an affordable cap hit in 2018 when we are up against the ceiling, and if things don't work out for whatever reason, it wouldn't be a cap-crippling dead money hit if we part ways after only one season. Seems like positives all around...

Steel Maniac
05-23-2018, 03:17 PM
Ruth, get over there and hammer out the details with management. :tt2

Northern_Blitz
05-24-2018, 12:53 PM
Kendricks was scheduled to make a base salary of $5.85M this season.

What if we offered him the same deal we gave Morgan Burnett (3 year, $14.35 million contract with a $4.25 million signing bonus)?

The signing bonus is spread out over each of those 3 years (a bit over $1.4M each season), with base salaries of $1M in 2018, $5M in 2019, and $4M in 2020.

In this scenario, via the upfront signing bonus plus the first year base salary, he'd pocket $5.25M this year (just slightly less than the $5.85M the Eagles would have paid him for this season if they kept him), but he would only count about $2.4M against our 2018 cap.

If all works out well, we can keep him beyond this year, but since his base salaries increase to $5M in 2019 and $4M in 2020), his cap hit would rise to about $6.4M in 2019 then about $5.4M in 2020. If it doesn't work out, then we can cut him after this year for about a $2.8M dead cap charge in 2019 if it's a pre-June 1 designation, or about a $1.4M dead cap charge in each of 2019 and 2020 if it's a post June 1 designation.

He gets pretty darn close to what he was expecting to earn in Philly this year, we get an affordable cap hit in 2018 when we are up against the ceiling, and if things don't work out for whatever reason, it wouldn't be a cap-crippling dead money hit if we part ways after only one season. Seems like positives all around...

Nice work! I never get how to structure contracts, but this seems pretty reasonable. Especially since my understanding is that we'll have a bunch of cap room next year with Shazier (and presumably Bell) off the books.

That would be pretty sweet if we could get it done. I think ILB depth has the potential to sink us again this year, so having 3 legit NFL starters on the roster would be great.

hawaiiansteel
05-24-2018, 04:48 PM
Mychal Kendricks rumors: 3 perfect fits

by Russell S. Baxter

Standout linebacker Mychal Kendricks was just cut loose by the defending Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Eagles. Which teams could use him the most?

Best Fits

1. Pittsburgh Steelers

Itís perhaps the first team that is on a lot of peopleís minds. Coordinator Keith Butlerís defensive unit just wasnít the same once inside linebacker Ryan Shazier went down late in 2017. And this was a Pittsburgh defense that was already shaky at best when it came to stopping the pass. Losing a Pro Bowler inside made the Steelers even more vulnerable to the run. The team did sign plugger Jon Bostic to help with the aforementioned issue but heís not much when it comes to pass coverage. Kendricks could solve quite a few issues for Mike Tomlinís team. By the way, itís interesting to note that general manager Kevin Colbert did not use a draft choice on a linebacker in April.

https://fansided.com/2018/05/22/mychal-kendricks-rumors-3-perfect-fits-nfl-free-agency-eagles/

Steel Maniac
05-25-2018, 09:05 AM
I"d like to know if Tomlin has made that move towards Kendricks. At least make an attempt. If Tomlin/Colbert have not at least approached him then that will be another nugget stored for review at the end of the season.

RuthlessBurgher
05-25-2018, 10:13 AM
I"d like to know if Tomlin has made that move towards Kendricks. At least make an attempt. If Tomlin/Colbert have not at least approached him then that will be another nugget stored for review at the end of the season.

I believe Tomlin and Colbert has a pre-draft visit with Kendricks a few years ago, so they had the opportunity to get to know him a little bit, and therefore at least both sides have that first impression of each other to go by. If it was a positive first impression back then, we'll likely reach out to his representatives now. If it was a negative first impression back then, we may just decide to stand pat. We'll see.

Northern_Blitz
05-25-2018, 10:42 AM

If you want to use this against someone in the future, I think the person you'd be pointing at would be Colbert. Player acquisition is the job of the GM, not the head coach.

Steel Maniac
05-25-2018, 11:07 AM
If you want to use this against someone in the future, I think the person you'd be pointing at would be Colbert. Player acquisition is the job of the GM, not the head coach.

Yeah but Tomlin claims to have a lot of input. But at the core, your right. Player acquisitions begin and end with Colbert.

Buzz
05-25-2018, 11:27 AM
I would think they'd be working in concert on any FA acquisitions such as Kendricks.

Steel Maniac
05-25-2018, 03:25 PM
I would think they'd be working in concert on any FA acquisitions such as Kendricks.

that's what I was initially referring to.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-26-2018, 12:32 PM
that's what I was initially referring to.

No further news :(

Steel Maniac
05-29-2018, 06:15 PM
Looks like we got no shot...

Yahoo Sports' Jordan Schultz reports free agent LB Mychal Kendricks will visit the Vikings, Raiders and Browns this week.

Schultz also reports Kendricks is expected to choose a new home this week. They're Kendricks' first-known visits since he was cut loose last week. The Browns have by far the most cap space of the three suitors, while the Raiders have by far the least. The Vikings offer the best combination of money and contention. Kendricks' brother Eric also plays in Minnesota.
Source: Jordan Schultz on Twitter

SteelBucks
05-29-2018, 06:22 PM
Looks like we got no shot...

Yahoo Sports' Jordan Schultz reports free agent LB Mychal Kendricks will visit the Vikings, Raiders and Browns this week.

Schultz also reports Kendricks is expected to choose a new home this week. They're Kendricks' first-known visits since he was cut loose last week. The Browns have by far the most cap space of the three suitors, while the Raiders have by far the least. The Vikings offer the best combination of money and contention. Kendricks' brother Eric also plays in Minnesota.
Source: Jordan Schultz on Twitter

IMO, the Kendricks ship sailed once they signed Jon Bostic.

Buzz
05-29-2018, 07:08 PM
IMO, the Kendricks ship sailed once they signed Jon Bostic.

Could be. It would be nice to at least have another proven Mack-type ILB for depth.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-30-2018, 09:58 PM
Maybe this will be Dirty Red's year to shine.