PDA

View Full Version : How about FA Eric Reid of 49ers?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-14-2018, 02:57 PM
One of the best in the biz, but no one wants to sign him because of the flag kneeling thing.

SB becomes 10x more likely with him on our roaster, IMO!

Slapstick
05-14-2018, 03:20 PM
I like him and I don't care about the kneeling...but, I also think that the Steelers signed two free agent safeties and just drafted two more...

Disco1981
05-14-2018, 03:21 PM
One of the best in the biz, but no one wants to sign him because of the flag kneeling thing.

SB becomes 10x more likely with him on our roaster, IMO!

We have Edmunds, Burnett, Davis, Allen...Possibly even Brian Allen...Need an ILB more imo

Slapstick
05-14-2018, 03:23 PM
The ILB market is not great:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/inside-linebacker/available/

phillyesq
05-14-2018, 03:25 PM
I don't get the point of signing Reid at all. The Steelers already have 5 safeties who are likely to make the roster. Last year, Reid was moved to a linebacker spot in certain situations, and there was some indication that he slipped in coverage. I don't see what he adds that the rest don't. I'd find Kenny Vaccaro more intriguing, but at this point, I think the Steelers have more than enough safeties.

Buzz
05-14-2018, 03:27 PM
If bringing him onboard truly would make a Super Bowl "10x more likely" then I would be all for it!

I'm inclined to agree with Slapstick ... I think the Steelers are done signing FA safeties for this offseason.

squidkid
05-14-2018, 03:57 PM
the steelers F'ed up the anthem thing last year and ownership caught major hell from fans. we dont need anymore drama.
tomlin cant control the problem children already here.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-14-2018, 04:44 PM
I don't get the point of signing Reid at all. The Steelers already have 5 safeties who are likely to make the roster. Last year, Reid was moved to a linebacker spot in certain situations, and there was some indication that he slipped in coverage. I don't see what he adds that the rest don't. I'd find Kenny Vaccaro more intriguing, but at this point, I think the Steelers have more than enough safeties.

We signed the best safeties available, but none of them that great in coverage from what I understand.

Assuming Reid is lots better than they are, I see it as a Joe Hayden type situation. Let someone go if needed to get someone better on the roster.
I don't follow Reid closely, but everything I've read suggested that whether he's slipped back a little or not, he's probably lots better than anyone we've got on our roster currently. I wonder if someone with his skills was available at 1.28, whether we would have taken them.

Buzz
05-14-2018, 04:53 PM
everything I've read suggested that whether he's slipped back a little or not, he's probably lots better than anyone we've got on our roster currently.
I'm very concerned about whether we have anyone who can handle single high coverage responsibilities. If Reid is better than anyone we have in that department, it might be worth making a move for him -- his asking price should be quite reasonable, at this point.

Buzz
05-14-2018, 04:54 PM
the steelers F'ed up the anthem thing last year and ownership caught major hell from fans. we dont need anymore drama.
tomlin cant control the problem children already here.

Reid has said he won't kneel anymore.

Steel Maniac
05-14-2018, 05:00 PM
Reid is suing the NFL. His career is over.

Steel Maniac
05-14-2018, 06:50 PM
I think if he would have waited and been patient after the draft, the safety market would pick up. I see Vaccaro is making visits to a few teams now. I think that would have happened for Reid too. Oh well.

NorthCoast
05-14-2018, 07:35 PM
I think if he would have waited and been patient after the draft, the safety market would pick up. I see Vaccaro is making visits to a few teams now. I think that would have happened for Reid too. Oh well.Yep. Wait til the preseason injuries start piling up. Things will pick up again for the FAs out there.

Shoe
05-14-2018, 11:37 PM
If he really was a difference maker, no one would care about the flag salute stuff, just like Kap. But (like Kap), it just isn't worth the small difference he might make... is what it seems like to me. If the scouts thought he still had the potential that made him a Top 10 pick though, then they are idiots for not pursuing him.

RuthlessBurgher
05-15-2018, 10:11 AM
I wonder if someone with his skills was available at 1.28, whether we would have taken them.

His little brother Justin was available in this draft. Many pundits had him rated as a late first round prospect with skills similar to his brother Eric. He was often mocked to the Steelers in round 1. We passed, and he dropped to round 3.

Armchair GM's tended to rank Justin Reid as a 1st round pick and Terrell Edmunds as a 3rd round pick.
Actual NFL GM's made Terrell Edmunds a 1st round pick and Justin Reid a 3rd round pick.

Steel Maniac
05-15-2018, 10:15 AM
We'll never know on the Edmunds end of that Ruth. But if your wearing black & gold glasses, you'd want to feel that way. Just hope edmunds pans out fast.

RuthlessBurgher
05-15-2018, 10:28 AM
We'll never know on the Edmunds end of that Ruth. But if your wearing black & gold glasses, you'd want to feel that way. Just hope edmunds pans out fast.

I watched an NFL GM make Terrell Edmunds a first round pick. It happened. And a it was a GM with a tremendous record of success, especially in terms of his first round picks.

Slapstick
05-15-2018, 10:42 AM
I watched an NFL GM make Terrell Edmunds a first round pick. It happened. And a it was a GM with a tremendous record of success, especially in terms of his first round picks.

Why are you coming in here and saying realistic stuff? Can't you see we are in fantasy/hand wringing land right now? Gzzzzz. Why confuse things with the truth?

phillyesq
05-15-2018, 12:55 PM
We signed the best safeties available, but none of them that great in coverage from what I understand.

Assuming Reid is lots better than they are, I see it as a Joe Hayden type situation. Let someone go if needed to get someone better on the roster.
I don't follow Reid closely, but everything I've read suggested that whether he's slipped back a little or not, he's probably lots better than anyone we've got on our roster currently. I wonder if someone with his skills was available at 1.28, whether we would have taken them.

I'm pretty sure I read that he was moved to a linebacker / hybrid type of role because he struggled in coverage. In any event, given that the Steelers only have $6 million in cap space, still need to sign their rookies and practice squad and typically hold over a few million for in-season injury replacements, I think this is probably all moot anyway.

Steel Maniac
05-15-2018, 02:25 PM

That same GM has missed on every secondary selection since Troy. Yeah.. I know that GM too. That’s why we all are in a wait and see mode.

RuthlessBurgher
05-15-2018, 02:33 PM
Link please.

You want a link that tells you that Steeler GM Kevin Colbert selected Terrell Edmunds with the 28th overall pick in the first round of the 2018 NFL draft?

feltdizz
05-15-2018, 02:43 PM
You want a link that tells you that Steeler GM Kevin Colbert selected Terrell Edmunds with the 28th overall pick in the first round of the 2018 NFL draft?
Link or it didn’t happen.

Fake News!!

Slapstick
05-15-2018, 02:46 PM
Holy crap!

squidkid
05-15-2018, 04:18 PM
Reid has said he won't kneel anymore.

yup. that douche bag would do something else and say, 'i told you if you signed me i wouldnt kneel'

Steel Maniac
05-15-2018, 05:36 PM

At first I thought you meant another GM. Lol. Colbert’s track record since Troy speaks for itself. Lmfao. He’s a good GM but picking guys in the secondary is his greatest area of weakness. By far.

Steel Maniac
05-15-2018, 05:37 PM
Reid is done.