PDA

View Full Version : Rudolph grilled on white board by Mooch

Eich
05-09-2018, 01:10 PM
Thought Mason was pretty impressive and very respectful in this:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/5/9/17328158/watch-mason-rudolph-get-grilled-on-the-white-board-by-steve-mariucci-2018-nfl-draft-steelers-news

Steel Maniac
05-09-2018, 01:41 PM
Smart kid huh? He checks all the boxes.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-09-2018, 02:20 PM
Great post, Eich!

It starts at 2:15.

Question - do you think it was staged, that he knew the answers?

Because if not, that is pretty f'ng impressive his memory.

Like, wow!!!

feltdizz
05-09-2018, 03:38 PM
Impressive. However, unless he is going to be a coach I don’t really care if he can remember how to draw plays on the white board.

I care more about what he can do on the green carpet.

Dont get me wrong, it’s a plus if he can do both but I never get t into these Gruden tapes with coaches talking all fast about what to do on a white board.

You can have all the right answers but it doesnt matter if you crumble under pressure or can’t make the throw even when you are making the right read.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-09-2018, 04:40 PM
Saw something like this last year with Sutton. Not only was he asked his own responsibility during any given play, he was able to tell you what every other defender was doing. It was very impressive, and something I have liked about him. A guy like him should be able to move around the D, he should be able to make the defensive calls if asked, he should not be the kind of player who makes those mental mistakes that sees guys like Chris Hogan running all alone through the secondary.

Same goes for Rudolph. Seems like the kind of kid who will become a bookworm. Attach himself to the playbook from the time he gets it and won't be afraid to ask questions along the way. If/when he is called upon to step in (and I truly hope that won't be for a long time) he will not fail for being mentally unprepared. We will see if his physical tools translate into the NFL QB game, but I don't expect him to look like a deer in the headlights.

pittpete
05-09-2018, 06:35 PM
https://youtu.be/D2Hi8j0wm3w?t=134

Was just coming to post this...LOL

NorthCoast
05-09-2018, 07:37 PM
Damn... need a PhD in Football 101...

I get what Feltdizz is saying... there's book smart and there's street smart. No one will claim that Bradshaw was a student of the game, but he sure knew how to make plays. (of course, the game has gotten a whole lot more complex than those days, so it might not be enough to be street smart to win on a consistent basis...)

Shawn
05-09-2018, 08:06 PM
Dayum I have to admit I was impressed with the kid.

fordfixer
05-09-2018, 10:08 PM
Nice.......

Ernie
05-10-2018, 06:03 AM
Damn... need a PhD in Football 101...

I get what Feltdizz is saying... there's book smart and there's street smart. No one will claim that Bradshaw was a student of the game, but he sure knew how to make plays. (of course, the game has gotten a whole lot more complex than those days, so it might not be enough to be street smart to win on a consistent basis...)

This...$$$

You hit the nail on the head "Complex". There are a ton of decisions that are made "Pre snap"... reading defenses (coverages/blitzes etc.)and then subsequently calling the right audible for anticipated defensive scheme. The mental aspect of the position cannot be over emphasized. QB's with superior mental processing ability "Quick thinkers" and decision making can make it in today's game without elite arm talent. The same cannot be said for those guys (elite arm talent) who cannot handle the mental aspects of the game.

Eich
05-10-2018, 08:52 AM
Great post, Eich!

It starts at 2:15.

Question - do you think it was staged, that he knew the answers?

Because if not, that is pretty f'ng impressive his memory.

Like, wow!!!

I don't think it was staged. They've done these white board things with other rookies. But even if it was, I love the way he carries himself. He's an impressive dude. I hope he stays humble with a great work ethic and doesn't let the NFL get to his head like it did with Ben early on.

RuthlessBurgher
05-11-2018, 10:55 AM
Mason Rudolph, James Washington take NCAA light show to Steelers camp

10:09 AM ET

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- Mike Yurcich believes Mason Rudolph is unflappable.

Things can get hectic in a hurry for a quarterback in the pocket. But Rudolph will wait until he sees the best time to release a pass.

"Some guys, their heart beats like a dog," said Yurcich, Oklahoma State's offensive coordinator, on his former star quarterback and Steelers' third-round pick. "Others continue to strike balls down the field. That's Mason."

Mason Rudolph and James Washington combined for about 4,000 passing yards and 40 touchdowns at Oklahoma State. Kevin Jairaj/USA Today Sports

Rudolph teamed with wide receiver James Washington to break so many big plays in Stillwater that the Steelers had to draft both of them, setting the stage for dynamic playmaking at rookie minicamp Friday-Sunday.

To be sure, minicamp is 60 players running around in shorts. Actual football will not be on display. But the presence of Washington and Rudolph on the same NFL field deepens the intrigue about a combo that posted more than 4,000 collegiate yards and nearly 40 touchdowns in four years.

At the least, they can run a few deep balls for nostalgia.

Before Washington-Rudolph, seven receiver-quarterback duos had been drafted by the same NFL team in the same year, according to ESPN Stats and Information. None had more production than these two.

So happy together

Seven QB/WR duos from the same college team have been drafted in the same year by the same NFL team:

2018 Steelers Mason Rudolph (3) James Washington (2) Oklahoma State
2013 Steelers Landry Jones (4) Justin Brown (6) Oklahoma
1979 Chiefs Steve Fuller (1) Stan Rome (11) Clemson
1976 Jets Dave Buckey (12) Don Buckey (12) NC State
1973 Bills Joe Ferguson (3) Mike Reppond (9) Arkansas
1972 Saints Rusty Lachaussee (15) Steve Barrios (13) Tulane
1971 Falcons Leo Hart (3) Wes Chesson (7) Duke

ESPN Stats & Info

Rudolph, who probably won't play for a while behind Ben Roethlisberger, wants to keep the touchdown party going in practices and, eventually, games.

“I don’t know the last time this has happened in the history of the draft but to go on the next level, the next chapter, with one of your brothers with your best receiver that you’ve spent your whole college career with that you can potentially spend another 15 years with, that’s going to be one heck of a ride and I can’t wait to get it going," Rudolph said.

Yurcich has watched his duo connect on countless deep balls, and he's convinced there's a science to it. Rudolph has the touch and anticipation down with textbook lower-body distribution through each throw. And Washington has mastered the art of holding off a defensive back then accelerating at the last second to create separation.

"Remarkable at tracking the ball down," Yurcich said of the 5-foot-11 receiver. "Very unique in his lower body with power that helps him play like he's 6-foot-3."

The Cowboys were known for taking deep shots, which is what attracted the Steelers to Rudolph and Washington. The team drafted Washington in the second round to offset the loss of vertical threat Martavis Bryant, who was traded to the Oakland Raiders for a third-round pick. Rudolph was more of a luxury pick but brings instant practice chemistry with his old friend.

Even if rookie camp showcases minimal contact this weekend, Washington will be ready to win downfield.

"It all comes down to who wants it more, and nine times out of 10, I guarantee you I want it more," Washington said.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/27899/mason-rudolph-james-washington-take-ncaa-light-show-to-steelers-camp

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-11-2018, 12:04 PM
Mason Rudolph, James Washington take NCAA light show to Steelers camp

10:09 AM ET

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- Mike Yurcich believes Mason Rudolph is unflappable.

Things can get hectic in a hurry for a quarterback in the pocket. But Rudolph will wait until he sees the best time to release a pass.

"Some guys, their heart beats like a dog," said Yurcich, Oklahoma State's offensive coordinator, on his former star quarterback and Steelers' third-round pick. "Others continue to strike balls down the field. That's Mason."...

"Their heart beats like a dog"? I guess that's a bad thing. Who knew? :p

RuthlessBurgher
05-11-2018, 02:58 PM
Rudolph settles in, hears from Ben

Posted 49 minutes ago

Teresa Varley

Steelers.com

Mason Rudolph felt comfortable during his first rookie minicamp practice.

Mason Rudolph walked off the field after the Steelers first rookie minicamp practice at the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex and was all smiles.

“It was great,” said Rudolph, the team’s third-round pick out of Oklahoma State. “It was fun.”

And then he added.

“My head has been spinning a little bit like I thought it would be,” said Rudolph. “It’s been great working with Coach (Randy) Fichtner, and the whole offensive staff and starting to look forward and work out some of the kinks. I have to come out here, soak in all of the reps I can get. Keep working with Coach Fichtner. I don’t feel like I have to prove anything to anyone other than the coaches and my teammates.”

He said the nerves were at a minimum, likely due in part to having gotten his hands on the playbook draft weekend, even if there is an overwhelming amount of information to learn.

“I wouldn’t come out here without looking at the playbook,” said Rudolph. “I got it about a week ago. If you look at the bulk of it, it is overwhelming. But you have to separate it into blocks and learn it piece by piece. That is how I approached it and that is what I will continue to do.

“I am going to come out here and let it fly. Embrace being a Pittsburgh Steeler and play with my teammates. I was just excited. I just want to throw the ball. I just want to throw the ball to James (Washington) again, and Jaylen Samuels and be out here with (Terrell) Edmunds and fly around the field with your new teammates.”

One of his new teammates he isn’t working with this weekend, but is looking forward to getting to know, is fellow quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. After Rudolph was drafted, Roethlisberger questioned selecting a quarterback that high when he still planned on playing three-to-five more years.

Rudolph, though, said there weren’t any issues and Roethlisberger texted him on Thursday, wishing him luck during minicamp and telling him he was looking forward to getting to meet him when the entire team starts working together during OTAs.

“Ben reached out to me,” said Rudolph. “He is excited to get in when rookie minicamp gets done and start getting after it. He reached out, said good luck in rookie minicamp. I was appreciative of that. I haven’t met him yet, but I am looking forward to meeting him.

“I think the media got twisted around a little bit. He is a competitor. He is a Hall of Fame quarterback. He is a competitive guy. That is what I would expect. He is a long time starter. I am sure when we get in this building, in this room, we are going to be friends. I am going to let him do his thing. I am going to pick up from him what I can from him but not bother him.”

Rudolph is accustomed to a starting role, having done so since high school. But he also understands what is expected of him coming to the team, and is willing to do whatever the coaches ask.

“I am looking forward to embracing my role on this team and making the most of my reps out here in rookie minicamp,” said Rudolph. “My role is day-by-day. Obviously I am not starting. I am looking forward to working with Josh (Dobbs) and Landry (Jones) and Ben. And maximizing the reps with these guys, with all of these rookies out here, bonding together and getting our chemistry right and working in the next phase of OTAs.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-4/Rudolph-settles-in-hears-from-Ben/3d40c6f1-b1f7-4bc8-b07e-fa20d274957c

Steel Maniac
05-11-2018, 05:17 PM
Good for him. Seems like a real likable kid.

RuthlessBurgher
05-16-2018, 11:20 AM
Pro Football Focus gives a glowing take on the Steelers Oklahoma State rookie duo

The Pittsburgh Steelers selected two Oklahoma State offensive players in the 2018 NFL Draft, and PFF thinks the picks could pay big dividends.

By Jeff Hartman

May 16, 2018, 7:45am EDT

After the 2018 NFL Draft concluded, fans across the NFL landscape were trying to find out the insider information on the newest additions to their favorite team. For the Pittsburgh Steelers, and their four offensive picks out of seven total selections, the befuddled fan base wanted to know if the picks were worth it. After all, there were glaring defensive needs which everyone thought needed addressed before any offensive players were selected.

At Pro Football Focus, they gave their opinion on the Steelers’ Oklahoma State duo of James Washington and Mason Rudolph. Take a look at their analysis, and thoughts, on the tandem who are now calling Pittsburgh home.

PICK NO. 60 JAMES WASHINGTON, WR, OKLAHOMA STATE

Head coach Mike Tomlin: “Similarly to JuJu (Smith-Schuster), we just loved his overall game, his physicality, his sure hands, his strong hands, his running ability after the catch. His resume speaks for itself, a Biletnikoff winner, we felt really fortunate for him to be available at this stage in the draft. [He’s an] ccomplished four-year guy with a four-year body of work. Equally exciting, a really solid young man, you know what you’re gonna get on a day-to-day basis, he’s gonna be an early contributor for us.”

PFF’s Take: Washington had all of five drops on 79 catchable passes this past season. His physicality really showed in the 1-on-1s at the Senior Bowl where he had the highest win rate of any receiver against press coverage.

PICK NO. 76 MASON RUDOLPH, QB, OKLAHOMA STATE

Tomlin: “Mason at that spot was just too good of a player to pass up for us, we’re excited about having an opportunity to get him … We moved up a couple of spots to secure him, really excited to watch those young people sort themselves out at the quarterback position, it’s a good thing to have too much talent.”

PFF’s Take: We had Rudolph as a first-round caliber player so the value here is fantastic. His college production was outstanding and he had three seasons grade out at 90.0 or better.

Whether you buy what PFF sells on a regular basis, both figuratively and literally, is not the point The point is after reading both Mike Tomlin’s comments, and PFF’s take, it is hard not to get excited about the newest offensive weapons added to the Pittsburgh arsenal.

No, Rudolph won’t be playing anytime soon, and the longer he has to develop under Ben Roethlisberger the better. But at the same time, if something were to happen with Roethlisberger, Rudolph could be the future of position and ready to stake his claim as the heir to the Steelers’ quarterback throne.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/5/16/17350660/pro-football-focus-gives-a-glowing-take-on-the-steelers-oklahoma-state-rookie-duo-rudolph-washington

Steel Maniac
05-16-2018, 07:18 PM
My advice to Rudolph is to prepare like your going to be the starter by game 7 of the season.

NorthCoast
05-16-2018, 07:27 PM
Welcome to the Pittsburgh Steelers. There's a new duo in town.......and it ain't BR to AB......!

feltdizz
05-17-2018, 08:51 AM
Shouldn't Rudolph prepare like he is going to be the starter on day 1?

Steel Maniac
05-17-2018, 09:47 AM
Welcome to the Pittsburgh Steelers. There's a new duo in town.......and it ain't BR to AB......!

He’s enjoying the moment. That’s great. As the season approaches, he’ll have his note pad out to learn. Glad he’ll see how we prepare against a division rival right from the start in the opener.

Buzz
05-17-2018, 10:03 AM
I think so.

I also hope he's not the starter on day 1. His chances of success will be much better if he can wait awhile to get thrown into NFL action, IMO.

feltdizz
05-17-2018, 11:06 AM
I think so.

I also hope he's not the starter on day 1. His chances of success will be much better if he can wait awhile to get thrown into NFL action, IMO.

I agree, but imagine if Ben waited until week 7 to get ready to play his first year?

backups should always be ready on day 1.

I hope we don't see Rudolph start for another 3 years to be honest.

Eich
05-17-2018, 11:28 AM
I agree, but imagine if Ben waited until week 7 to get ready to play his first year?

backups should always be ready on day 1.

I hope we don't see Rudolph start for another 3 years to be honest.

Agree that he should prepare as if he's the starter day 1. But even if Ben went down in game one, I think Rudolph will be the number 3 QB at that point.

And I want to see Rudolph before 3 years.... when we're up on someone 52-3 in the 4th quarter :)

RuthlessBurgher
05-18-2018, 10:36 AM
No hard feelings: Rudolph looking forward to meeting Roethlisberger

Published: May 16, 2018 at 1:30 p.m.

Not much was familiar to Mason Rudolph when the Pittsburgh Steelers' rookies convened last weekend for the club's minicamp. However, the Steelers made sure to provide at least one level of comfort for Rudolph, a third-round pick in last month's 2018 NFL Draft.

The Steelers paired Rudolph with his star receiver from Oklahoma State, James Washington, for the three-day, five-practice camp. Washington, selected by Pittsburgh in Round 2, and Rudolph wasted no time using their relationship to mutual benefit.

"Every night we had a little study session working through the signals and working through things, like when I'm hot (blitzed), how he has to adjust his route based on protection," Rudolph said. "I would voice out play calls to help him understand his responsibilities. We kept it pretty much about football."

The two connected on the field, too, as would be expected from a tandem that accounted for an average of a touchdown per game last season at Oklahoma State.

"Friday morning was a learning process, then Friday afternoon was better and Saturday was great," Rudolph said. "James and I connected a few times for some touchdowns and ripped it up Saturday. Then Sunday we had a short practice to wrap things up."

The Steelers' offensive concepts aren't much different from what Rudolph learned at Oklahoma State, but the terminology, he said, is more of an adjustment and will require significant memorization. Amid the lengthy play calls, the different reads and the new faces, Washington's skills looked the same as they did in college to Rudolph.

"I just know the way he moves, I know his catch radius and where I can put balls, how fluid of a runner he is," Rudolph said. "I know how he accelerates and the way corners think they can discourage a throw by the cushion they give him. He creates a lot of separation on in-breaking routes. He's unbelievable."

Rudolph and Washington also received texts from Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger prior to minicamp wishing them good luck. It was a welcome message for Rudolph after Roethlisberger had previously questioned the Steelers' decision to draft the QB.

"It was just a good luck text. It was short and sweet and I appreciated it," Rudolph said. "I'm looking forward to meeting Ben. I can't wait to work with a guy I've watched for so many years and I'm going to learn everything I can from him and our staff."

-- Chase Goodbread

http://www.nfl.com/labs/rr/pathtothedraft/rudolph?campaign=tw-nf-sf189705236-sf189705236&sf189705236=1&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Steel Maniac
05-18-2018, 10:53 AM
Agree that he should prepare as if he's the starter day 1. But even if Ben went down in game one, I think Rudolph will be the number 3 QB at that point.

And I want to see Rudolph before 3 years.... when we're up on someone 52-3 in the 4th quarter :)

Why would you want your rookie QB to prepare like he's going to play game one?? Even if Ben got hurt game one, Mason wouldn't be the one to be put in.

Makes absolutely no sense to put that kind of pressure on the kid right off the bat. This isn't Cleveland, or Tampa Bay or some other bottom feeder team where a kid has to have a "thrown to the fire" mentality.

He needs to learn, and watch and understand game speed. And if he can do that at a comfortable pace, that's the optimum situation. By week 7, he should have a routine and have some comfortability with everything going on around him.

Prepare like he's playing game one?? Please. Relax and absorb kid; wax on, wax off.

Steel Maniac
05-18-2018, 10:54 AM
No hard feelings: Rudolph looking forward to meeting Roethlisberger

Published: May 16, 2018 at 1:30 p.m.

Not much was familiar to Mason Rudolph when the Pittsburgh Steelers' rookies convened last weekend for the club's minicamp. However, the Steelers made sure to provide at least one level of comfort for Rudolph, a third-round pick in last month's 2018 NFL Draft.

The Steelers paired Rudolph with his star receiver from Oklahoma State, James Washington, for the three-day, five-practice camp. Washington, selected by Pittsburgh in Round 2, and Rudolph wasted no time using their relationship to mutual benefit.

"Every night we had a little study session working through the signals and working through things, like when I'm hot (blitzed), how he has to adjust his route based on protection," Rudolph said. "I would voice out play calls to help him understand his responsibilities. We kept it pretty much about football."

The two connected on the field, too, as would be expected from a tandem that accounted for an average of a touchdown per game last season at Oklahoma State.

"Friday morning was a learning process, then Friday afternoon was better and Saturday was great," Rudolph said. "James and I connected a few times for some touchdowns and ripped it up Saturday. Then Sunday we had a short practice to wrap things up."

The Steelers' offensive concepts aren't much different from what Rudolph learned at Oklahoma State, but the terminology, he said, is more of an adjustment and will require significant memorization. Amid the lengthy play calls, the different reads and the new faces, Washington's skills looked the same as they did in college to Rudolph.

"I just know the way he moves, I know his catch radius and where I can put balls, how fluid of a runner he is," Rudolph said. "I know how he accelerates and the way corners think they can discourage a throw by the cushion they give him. He creates a lot of separation on in-breaking routes. He's unbelievable."

Rudolph and Washington also received texts from Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger prior to minicamp wishing them good luck. It was a welcome message for Rudolph after Roethlisberger had previously questioned the Steelers' decision to draft the QB.

"It was just a good luck text. It was short and sweet and I appreciated it," Rudolph said. "I'm looking forward to meeting Ben. I can't wait to work with a guy I've watched for so many years and I'm going to learn everything I can from him and our staff."

-- Chase Goodbread

http://www.nfl.com/labs/rr/pathtothedraft/rudolph?campaign=tw-nf-sf189705236-sf189705236&sf189705236=1&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Well, it's love and harmony now. Nothing more to see hear folks; let's keep it moving.

Ghost
05-18-2018, 02:28 PM
What if Rudolph lights it up in camp and the preseason? Would you guys be good with the Steelers shopping Landry for a 3rd rounder (is that a realistic choice) next year and going with Rudolph #2 and Dobbs stays at 3? Risky, but I'd do it.

Slapstick
05-18-2018, 02:49 PM
What if Rudolph lights it up in camp and the preseason? Would you guys be good with the Steelers shopping Landry for a 3rd rounder (is that a realistic choice) next year and going with Rudolph #2 and Dobbs stays at 3? Risky, but I'd do it.

I think Rudolph needs to be the #2...

If he’s the replacement franchise QB and he can’t replace Landry Jones...

RuthlessBurgher
05-18-2018, 03:01 PM

If anyone wanted Landry Jones for a 3rd rounder, I'd trade him there today.

If Rudolph lights it up in camp and the preseason, I'd be happy to trade Landry for a 6th rounder.

Eich
05-18-2018, 03:27 PM
Why would you want your rookie QB to prepare like he's going to play game one?? Even if Ben got hurt game one, Mason wouldn't be the one to be put in.

Makes absolutely no sense to put that kind of pressure on the kid right off the bat. This isn't Cleveland, or Tampa Bay or some other bottom feeder team where a kid has to have a "thrown to the fire" mentality.

He needs to learn, and watch and understand game speed. And if he can do that at a comfortable pace, that's the optimum situation. By week 7, he should have a routine and have some comfortability with everything going on around him.

Prepare like he's playing game one?? Please. Relax and absorb kid; wax on, wax off.

Of course he's not going to start game one unless all QB's go down with injuries in pre-season. Of course the team is not going to put that pressure on him. But I think all QB's on every roster should be preparing themselves as if they might need to go in game one.

Don't confuse the team's intention with how a QB should prepare. Backup QB's don't pick a game somewhere in the middle of the season to be ready. They need to be ready to go at any time. The QB's in front of them can go down at any time, at the drop of a hat.

feltdizz
05-18-2018, 04:07 PM
Of course he's not going to start game one unless all QB's go down with injuries in pre-season. Of course the team is not going to put that pressure on him. But I think all QB's on every roster should be preparing themselves as if they might need to go in game one.

Don't confuse the team's intention with how a QB should prepare. Backup QB's don't pick a game somewhere in the middle of the season to be ready. They need to be ready to go at any time. The QB's in front of them can go down at any time, at the drop of a hat.

right? who the hell prepares to chill for 7 games at this level?

A professional NFL player should be ready on day 1 regardless of the depth chart.

feltdizz
05-18-2018, 04:08 PM

I hope that's the plan.

While Landry is a decent backup if we can shop him, save some cash and get a nice return why not?

Eddie Spaghetti
05-18-2018, 07:15 PM
nobody is giving up a 3rd for Landry jones. i woukd be surprised if he would even merit a 6th or 7th and at that point it's not worth it

if Dobbs is as good as some here believe let him show it in camp and go from there. I'm not holding my breath

Steel Maniac
05-19-2018, 04:15 PM
nobody is giving up a 3rd for Landry jones. i woukd be surprised if he would even merit a 6th or 7th and at that point it's not worth it

if Dobbs is as good as some here believe let him show it in camp and go from there. I'm not holding my breath

Giving up a third for Landry Jones??? Who's smoking crack at this time of morning?

Buzz
05-19-2018, 05:15 PM
I think Tomlin and Co. love Landry Jones a lot more than most of us do, and have him penciled in at #2 for this season. I just can't see how Dobbs can make the 53. If they try to stash him on the PS, I suspect someone will grab him.

Ernie
05-19-2018, 05:40 PM
I think Tomlin and Co. love Landry Jones a lot more than most of us do, and have him penciled in at #2 for this season. I just can't see how Dobbs can make the 53. If they try to stash him on the PS, I suspect someone will grab him.

and that would be okay. He's a good kid and needs a shot somewhere.

Steel Maniac
05-19-2018, 06:07 PM

Probably. Too bad because I think Dobbs has more to work with then Jones. Jones is what he is right now; no more upside in him. But I think Dobbs will show marked improvement and has mobility to slide effectively in that pocket if need be to buy time and throw.

Slapstick
05-19-2018, 06:23 PM
If Rudolph can earn the #2 spot, and, hopefully he can, then Landry needs to go and Dobbs stays...they won’t pay Landry $2 million to be #3...

If Rudolph is going to be the franchise, then he will need the reps at #2 to develop his skills...

Ernie
05-19-2018, 06:35 PM
Here's a cool article:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/5/19/17372348/which-nfl-team-would-be-the-best-fit-for-him-mason-rudolph-spoke-of-only-one-team-the-steelers-draft

Iron City Inc.
05-20-2018, 09:16 PM
A few domino's would need to fall to recover a draft pick for Jones. First Rudolph would need to ball out. Dobbs would need to show some improvement. Last;y someone will be needed for a dance partner perhaps someone gets dinged up in the preseason.
All possible but not probable. And like Ruthless stated a 6 is likely in return not a 3.

Steel Maniac
05-20-2018, 10:59 PM
A few domino's would need to fall to recover a draft pick for Jones. First Rudolph would need to ball out. Dobbs would need to show some improvement. Last;y someone will be needed for a dance partner perhaps someone gets dinged up in the preseason.
All possible but not probable. And like Ruthless stated a 6 is likely in return not a 3.

Boom........

SteelerOfDeVille
05-21-2018, 10:25 AM
This...$$$

You hit the nail on the head "Complex". There are a ton of decisions that are made "Pre snap"... reading defenses (coverages/blitzes etc.)and then subsequently calling the right audible for anticipated defensive scheme. The mental aspect of the position cannot be over emphasized. QB's with superior mental processing ability "Quick thinkers" and decision making can make it in today's game without elite arm talent. The same cannot be said for those guys (elite arm talent) who cannot handle the mental aspects of the game.
WHY it takes both (using the same analogy used earlier in the thread):
PreSnap Reads ==> book smarts
InPlay Reads ==> street smarts

The best QBs a good degree of both. This whiteboard session proves he has book smarts. It's the "in play" stuff that is yet TBD in the NFL.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-21-2018, 02:00 PM

I think that Rudolph has the opportunity to win the #2 job. I also believe that what he does in camp could go a long way in determining who is kept between Dobbs and Jones. If both play relatively even I believe it will come down to how the coaches feel about Rudolph being ready to come in as the second stringer. If they are comfortable with where he is at than they could keep Dobbs over Jones.

Slapstick
05-21-2018, 02:46 PM
I think that Rudolph has the opportunity to win the #2 job. I also believe that what he does in camp could go a long way in determining who is kept between Dobbs and Jones. If both play relatively even I believe it will come down to how the coaches feel about Rudolph being ready to come in as the second stringer. If they are comfortable with where he is at than they could keep Dobbs over Jones.

This is what I think...Rudolph needs to be #2 if there is a chance of him being a franchise QB...#3 gets no reps and actual playing time is non existent...

Northern_Blitz
05-22-2018, 09:40 AM
This is what I think...Rudolph needs to be #2 if there is a chance of him being a franchise QB...#3 gets no reps and actual playing time is non existent...

I think that we'd want him to be #2 by the end of the season at least.

But, I also wonder what #2 means.

Let's say we're up by 3 (or down by 3) in the 4th on 9/9 against the Browns and Ben has to come out. I'm not going to be upset if the team thinks Jones gives us the best chance of winning in that situation. Especially if Ben wouldn't be expected to miss much time.

Eich
05-22-2018, 11:01 AM

Let's say we're up by 3 (or down by 3) in the 4th on 9/9 against the Browns and Ben has to come out. I'm not going to be upset if the team thinks Jones gives us the best chance of winning in that situation. Especially if Ben wouldn't be expected to miss much time.

#2 means if Ben goes down, #2 goes in. If Jones goes in, he's the #2.

Slapstick
05-22-2018, 11:05 AM

I guess that's just the thing...if he is truly the future face of the franchise and he is able to win #2 outright...

Buzz
05-22-2018, 11:17 AM

What if he's not the #2 until next season?

Slapstick
05-22-2018, 11:25 AM

Then, he'll go a whole year without any real reps for further development as a player...

Northern_Blitz
05-22-2018, 11:25 AM
#2 means if Ben goes down, #2 goes in. If Jones goes in, he's the #2.

I think if Ben went down early and was expected to be out for the season it's Rudolph for sure.

If it's the situation I described above and I just want to get out of the game with a win against a division opponent, I don't know that I put a rookie with 2 months of NFL work out there. Even if we're just handing it off to Bell, I don't know if he'll have enough time getting the exchange from Pouncey that I'm confident we don't have a stupid turnover.

In that case, I think I probably play Jones who is more suited to coming in cold like that.

Then after getting a whole week of reps in practice, I play Rudolph the next week. I think that's what sets him up to succeed.

RuthlessBurgher
05-22-2018, 11:27 AM

If the kid is not noticeably better than Landry Jones and Joshua Dobbs in his first camp, then his chances for being a legit heir apparent for Ben are unlikely in my eyes. Guys who have to spend a full season as a QB3 rarely ever elevate to become a true QB1. If the kid has it, he'll show it.

Buzz
05-22-2018, 12:06 PM
Wow. So if he's not #2 by the start of the season, it was essentially a wasted draft pick, in view of the team's other needs.

Eich
05-22-2018, 12:06 PM
I think if Ben went down early and was expected to be out for the season it's Rudolph for sure.

If it's the situation I described above and I just want to get out of the game with a win against a division opponent, I don't know that I put a rookie with 2 months of NFL work out there. Even if we're just handing it off to Bell, I don't know if he'll have enough time getting the exchange from Pouncey that I'm confident we don't have a stupid turnover.

In that case, I think I probably play Jones who is more suited to coming in cold like that.

Then after getting a whole week of reps in practice, I play Rudolph the next week. I think that's what sets him up to succeed.

The situation you're describing is that Rudolph is named the number 2 after camp but when Ben goes down 2 months in, the Steelers put Jones in. I don't think teams mess around with #2 and #3 QB's like that.

Assuming that the 3 QB's are Ben, Jones, Rudolph: If by the end of camp, they're not comfortable throwing Rudolph in GAME 1 if Ben goes down, then Rudolph will be number 3 and Jones number 2. If Rudolph is the number 2 QB at the end of camp, he will be the guy to go in if Ben goes down in any game.

When Tommy Maddox went down 2 games into the 2004 season, rookie Ben went in and never looked back.

Northern_Blitz
05-22-2018, 12:37 PM
The situation you're describing is that Rudolph is named the number 2 after camp but when Ben goes down 2 months in, the Steelers put Jones in. I don't think teams mess around with #2 and #3 QB's like that.

Assuming that the 3 QB's are Ben, Jones, Rudolph: If by the end of camp, they're not comfortable throwing Rudolph in GAME 1 if Ben goes down, then Rudolph will be number 3 and Jones number 2. If Rudolph is the number 2 QB at the end of camp, he will be the guy to go in if Ben goes down in any game.

When Tommy Maddox went down 2 games into the 2004 season, rookie Ben went in and never looked back.

No. I think in that situation the depth chart is:

Ben
Jones
Rudolph

But in the worst case scenario, you play Rudolph because there is no benefit to having a full season with Jones as your QB. In that case, you give up on this season and play the guy with the higher ceiling because you're not going to win the SB.

Jones and Rudolph represent different things on the roster. Jones is win now (especially at the beginning of the season). He knows the playbook. He knows the personnel. He has taken snaps in formations other than the shotgun. Because our backup isn't going to get many reps during the week, I have more confidence that Jones can come in cold and win a quarter of football. I think that's probably true for Jones vs. any of the rookie QBs taken this year. I'm not really convinced that Jones isn't all that much worse than Tyrod Taylor, who will start over the #1 pick in the draft.

Rudolph is on the roster because he's hope for the future. He doesn't know as much about the offense as Jones and he doesn't have as much experience in the Steelers system (or in the NFL). I don't think he's better than Jones is on day one but his ceiling is higher. But, this year isn't about developing a QB for the future. He's a guy that everyone in the league thought needed time to develop into a starting QB. That's why he was a 3rd round guy (not a 1st round guy).

There's no shame if he doesn't immediately beat out one of the better back up QBs in the league. I hope that he beats Jones out in camp, but if he doesn't that's OK too. He's got time.

Slapstick
05-22-2018, 12:59 PM
Wow. So if he's not #2 by the start of the season, it was essentially a wasted draft pick, in view of the team's other needs.

The Pats** have drafted like, 6 QBs in the last ten years...they were able to trade those guys for additional picks...

Did they waste those picks in view of their other needs?

Buzz
05-22-2018, 01:25 PM
The Pats** have drafted like, 6 QBs in the last ten years...they were able to trade those guys for additional picks...

Who's going to trade a high pick for a QB who has a ceiling of backup?

Slapstick
05-22-2018, 01:29 PM
Who's going to trade a high pick for a QB who has a ceiling of backup?

That’s a great question!

Personally, I don’t believe Rudolph’s ceiling is a backup. I think he’ll win the #2 job outright...

squidkid
05-22-2018, 01:30 PM

get back with us when dobbs , jones, and dixon get us draft picks

Buzz
05-22-2018, 01:40 PM
That’s a great question!

Personally, I don’t believe Rudolph’s ceiling is a backup. I think he’ll win the #2 job outright...

Yeah, but back to what if he doesn't? Ruthless says it's very unlikely he'll ever be a QB1 if he doesn't win the #2 job this preseason. You seem to agree. If you're right, if him not winning the backup job this preseason shows that he's not starter material, then it is extremely unlikely that any NFL team will give up a pick as high as the one we used to get him. Which would essentially make the pick we used on him this year a wasted pick.

Buzz
05-22-2018, 01:43 PM
get back with us when dobbs , jones, and dixon get us draft picks

Exactly. I wouldn't expect anyone to give better than a 5th rounder for any of those guys.

Sword
05-22-2018, 02:13 PM
That is exactly what I was thinking!!!

feltdizz
05-22-2018, 02:20 PM

I wish a player would tell Tomlin he was preparing to start by the 7th game..

he might get cut on sight.

Steel Maniac
05-22-2018, 02:29 PM

Why? How many rookie QB's are successful even when they are just thrown in week one? He should take his time and digest the playbook and the speed of the game. Let it feel routine to him. Get better and better each week in practice. Slow digestion is always better then fast digestion.

I know people want him to immediately become the # 2 QB. But I'd be fine with Dobbs being the # 2 this year and Mason the # 3. Can we discount the progress that Dobbs may make from his rookie year to this coming season?

Northern_Blitz
05-22-2018, 02:37 PM

he might get cut on sight.

But what does "prepare like you're going to be the starter" even mean? I think it's just player speak that means that he's going to try to work hard.

During the week, Ben will get the 1st team reps at QB. Rudolph will not. He literally cannot prepare like he's going to be the starter because he won't get the reps.

I would imagine that this lack of preparation is less of a problem for a 5 year vet (Jones) that knows the playbook inside out and has developed a NFL level of comfort running plays out of different formations. I think it's a different thing to expect a guy with little experience doing things as basic as taking the exchange from the center to excel when he's thrown into the fire mid-game without getting reps in practice.

Let's let the kid develop a bit before we call him a bust, OK? It's not the end of the world if Jones is still #2 on the depth chart. It just means that the team is leaning a bit more towards winning now over the future.

squidkid
05-22-2018, 02:44 PM
Why? How many rookie QB's are successful even when they are just thrown in week one? He should take his time and digest the playbook and the speed of the game. Let it feel routine to him. Get better and better each week in practice. Slow digestion is always better then fast digestion.

I know people want him to immediately become the # 2 QB. But I'd be fine with Dobbs being the # 2 this year and Mason the # 3. Can we discount the progress that Dobbs may make from his rookie year to this coming season?

man, i just dont see jones dropping all the way from 3 year back up to off the roster...........

Northern_Blitz
05-22-2018, 02:50 PM

I keep Jones as the #2 unless Rudolph (or Dobbs) are far and away the better options in training camp. And I don't think they'll get enough time to show that they're far and away better.

Steel Maniac
05-22-2018, 03:01 PM
But what does "prepare like you're going to be the starter" even mean? I think it's just player speak that means that he's going to try to work hard.

During the week, Ben will get the 1st team reps at QB. Rudolph will not. He literally cannot prepare like he's going to be the starter because he won't get the reps.

I would imagine that this lack of preparation is less of a problem for a 5 year vet (Jones) that knows the playbook inside out and has developed a NFL level of comfort running plays out of different formations. I think it's a different thing to expect a guy with little experience doing things as basic as taking the exchange from the center to excel when he's thrown into the fire mid-game without getting reps in practice.

Let's let the kid develop a bit before we call him a bust, OK? It's not the end of the world if Jones is still #2 on the depth chart. It just means that the team is leaning a bit more towards winning now over the future.

Exactly............

Steel Maniac
05-22-2018, 03:04 PM
man, i just dont see jones dropping all the way from 3 year back up to off the roster...........

Jones doesn’t set the bar that high that he can’t be beat out by Dobbs this year. Jones is marginal. I wouldn’t be shocked if Dobbs surpasses him. Jones ceiling is low. And I’m being kind.

feltdizz
05-22-2018, 03:18 PM

Every player should prepare like they are going to get in the game regardless of reps. If you are on the sideline your number can be called on any play.

Doesn't matter who you take reps with.

Anyone who isn't a starter probably isn't taking first team reps but when the guy in front of them goes down they have to be ready to go.

It can happen at any moment in football.

Northern_Blitz
05-22-2018, 04:09 PM
Every player should prepare like they are going to get in the game regardless of reps. If you are on the sideline your number can be called on any play.

Doesn't matter who you take reps with.

Anyone who isn't a starter probably isn't taking first team reps but when the guy in front of them goes down they have to be ready to go.

It can happen at any moment in football.

I agree that "prepare like you're going to get into the game" is more realistic than "prepare like you're the starter". I actually think that what you're saying is what players mean when they say that they're preparing like they're going to be the starter.

But, mental reps don't equal actual reps. Especially at QB where getting timing and trust with your WRs is kind of important. While it sounds nice, I don't think there is any way that Rudolph can actually prepare like he's the starter (unless the entire O is cool with staying after practice).

Since Rudolph doesn't know the O and hasn't been in the position of "practicing without being the starter" since at least high school, I don't think it's unreasonable to think that Jones would be more able to come in cold and play well. So, I don't think that the default position should be that Rudolph needs to be the #2 coming out of camp.

squidkid
05-22-2018, 04:25 PM
Jones doesn’t set the bar that high that he can’t be beat out by Dobbs this year. Jones is marginal. I wouldn’t be shocked if Dobbs surpasses him. Jones ceiling is low. And I’m being kind.

jones is leaps and bounds ahead of dobbs and has proven he can manage an nfl game.
i agree that jones has basically maxed out, but how many developmental qbs can you have a on a team?
i will be shocked if jones gets beat out by dobbs...........shocked, i tell you

RuthlessBurgher
05-22-2018, 04:41 PM
jones is leaps and bounds ahead of dobbs and has proven he can manage an nfl game.
i agree that jones has basically maxed out, but how many developmental qbs can you have a on a team?

Although the team ultimately has to decide whether to keep Jones or Dobbs (since Ben and Mason are locks to make the final 53), the decision regarding who they keep will ultimately come down to the performance of Rudolph in Latrobe and during preseason games.

If Mason plays well enough to earn the coaches' trust as our primary backup going into this season, they'll go with Ben 1, Mason 2, Josh 3.

If Mason doesn't play well enough to each the coaches' trust as our primary backup going into this season, they'll go with Ben 1, Landry 2, Mason 3.

Slapstick
05-22-2018, 05:57 PM
Yeah, either Landry is #2 or he’s QBing for another team...

Now, could the year start with Landry as #2 and Rudolph as #3 with the pecking order changing over the course of the season? Maybe...

Steel Maniac
05-22-2018, 06:32 PM

lmfao! I hear you. It is true that you can have only so many developmental QB's. I'm just not that impressed with Jones. What he showed in real games was borderline at best. I don't think much of him at all and I don't think it will take that much to beat him out. But someone is going to get wacked meaning we will have wasted a draft pick on someone. We know what Jones is but we don't about Dobbs.

Dobbs has had a year in the system and he should be able to show us something now.

Steel Maniac
05-22-2018, 06:34 PM
Although the team ultimately has to decide whether to keep Jones or Dobbs (since Ben and Mason are locks to make the final 53), the decision regarding who they keep will ultimately come down to the performance of Rudolph in Latrobe and during preseason games.

If Mason plays well enough to earn the coaches' trust as our primary backup going into this season, they'll go with Ben 1, Mason 2, Josh 3.

If Mason doesn't play well enough to each the coaches' trust as our primary backup going into this season, they'll go with Ben 1, Landry 2, Mason 3.

Wow..not even giving Dobbs a chance to show? Well, considering Hackenberg just got the Jets a 7th round pick, would Dobbs get us a 6th round pick on the open market?

Steel Maniac
05-22-2018, 06:35 PM
I"m pulling for Dobbs because I've seen Jones and he's basically navel lint to me. :tt2

Buzz
05-22-2018, 07:18 PM

I agree. But according to some here, if he's not #2 by the start of the season, he will never be a #1.

Slapstick
05-22-2018, 09:04 PM
I agree. But according to some here, if he's not #2 by the start of the season, he will never be a #1.

So, there are a lot of 3rd string QBs who become franchise QB?

Northern_Blitz
05-22-2018, 10:44 PM
Yeah, either Landry is #2 or he’s QBing for another team...

Now, could the year start with Landry as #2 and Rudolph as #3 with the pecking order changing over the course of the season? Maybe...

I think it's Landry @ #2, Rudolph @ #3 and they try to stash Dobbs on the PS. Then, next year they let Jones walk and Dobbs becomes #3.

Buzz
05-23-2018, 12:20 AM

Do a lot of eventual franchise QBs come into a situation like ours (starter is a franchise QB, backup is established and relatively affordable, team is currently a winner, and no real pressure to have to play the rookie)?

feltdizz
05-23-2018, 05:42 AM
Do a lot of eventual franchise QBs come into a situation like ours (starter is a franchise QB, backup is established and relatively affordable, team is currently a winner, and no real pressure to have to play the rookie)?

I dont think so. There is a reason everyone uses Favre and Rodgers as the blue print.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-23-2018, 07:51 AM
I dont think so. There is a reason everyone uses Favre and Rodgers as the blue print.

Brady** And Bledsoe.

feltdizz
05-23-2018, 09:29 AM
Brady** And Bledsoe.

good catch. I think I misread because Brady was indeed the 3rd string QB when he was drafted.

I wouldn't even put Favre and Rodgers in that category. I have no idea who the backup was when they drafted Rodgers.

Oviedo
05-23-2018, 10:00 AM

I'd keep Jones over Dobbs because of experience

Doesn't Dobbs also have practice squad eligibility????

feltdizz
05-23-2018, 10:19 AM
I'd keep Jones over Dobbs because of experience

Doesn't Dobbs also have practice squad eligibility????

He does.. but if I was another team with an iffy 3rd string and I carried 3 QB's I would snatch Dobbs up in a heartbeat.

RuthlessBurgher
05-23-2018, 10:25 AM

The only 3rd round QB's to amount to anything of significance in recent NFL history were Russell Wilson and Nick Foles, who each earned Super Bowl rings as a starting QB. They were never 3rd string QB's on their teams.

In their rookie camps, Wilson beat out high priced veteran free agent signing Matt Flynn and won the starting QB job outright. He made the Pro Bowl as a rookie. Foles beat out veteran Trent Edwards for the backup job behind Mike Vick, and when Vick was hurt, Foles started 6 games as a rookie. In year 2, although Vick once again began the season as the starter, Foles ultimately appeared in 13 games with 10 starts, throwing 27 TD's vs. only 2 INT's, making the Pro Bowl.

I'm not expecting Rudolph to start right off the bat or be a Pro Bowler in year 2...but if he truly has what it takes to be an eventual replacement for Ben in the future, he will show it right away, looking clearly better that Landry and Dobbs in Latrobe and the preseason games. If he is not able to do that, we'll know why he fell to the 3rd round in the first place, and he'll likely just be a bridge QB after Ben as opposed to his heir apparent.

Oviedo
05-23-2018, 03:10 PM
The only 3rd round QB's to amount to anything of significance in recent NFL history were Russell Wilson and Nick Foles, who each earned Super Bowl rings as a starting QB. They were never 3rd string QB's on their teams.

In their rookie camps, Wilson beat out high priced veteran free agent signing Matt Flynn and won the starting QB job outright. He made the Pro Bowl as a rookie. Foles beat out veteran Trent Edwards for the backup job behind Mike Vick, and when Vick was hurt, Foles started 6 games as a rookie. In year 2, although Vick once again began the season as the starter, Foles ultimately appeared in 13 games with 10 starts, throwing 27 TD's vs. only 2 INT's, making the Pro Bowl.

I'm not expecting Rudolph to start right off the bat or be a Pro Bowler in year 2...but if he truly has what it takes to be an eventual replacement for Ben in the future, he will show it right away, looking clearly better that Landry and Dobbs in Latrobe and the preseason games. If he is not able to do that, we'll know why he fell to the 3rd round in the first place, and he'll likely just be a bridge QB after Ben as opposed to his heir apparent.

I think Rudolph comes into the NFL with a better resume than either Wilson or Foles. Not saying he will be a star, but in a league that is more focused on passing he definitely has some skills. We'll see if it translates to the next level.

Wilson was solid as a rookie but he rode Marshawn Lynch in that offense much like Ben did with Bettis and FWP. Foles had LeSean McCoy didn't he? Neither of these guys were asked to carry the load. I don't think we would ask Rudolph to be the Ben of 2017 but maybe he could be the Ben of 2004/2005 when he eventually gets a chance to start. I think that is the biggest problem with fans. They are looking for "the Ben replacement" to perform at a level it took Ben 12 years to get to. Not likely to happen no matter who they have.

squidkid
05-23-2018, 04:38 PM
He does.. but if I was another team with an iffy 3rd string and I carried 3 QB's I would snatch Dobbs up in a heartbeat.

i think weve lost better prospects on the PS than dobbs.

feltdizz
05-24-2018, 05:58 AM
I think Rudolph comes into the NFL with a better resume than either Wilson or Foles. Not saying he will be a star, but in a league that is more focused on passing he definitely has some skills. We'll see if it translates to the next level.

Wilson was solid as a rookie but he rode Marshawn Lynch in that offense much like Ben did with Bettis and FWP. Foles had LeSean McCoy didn't he? Neither of these guys were asked to carry the load. I don't think we would ask Rudolph to be the Ben of 2017 but maybe he could be the Ben of 2004/2005 when he eventually gets a chance to start. I think that is the biggest problem with fans. They are looking for "the Ben replacement" to perform at a level it took Ben 12 years to get to. Not likely to happen no matter who they have.

I think Wilson had a better college resume. He didn’t have the stats like Rudolph but he had more impressive wins and clutch plays.

Wilson was a beast in college.

Sword
05-24-2018, 08:21 AM

he might get cut on sight. lol ....also seems like this team doesn't get in gear tell the 7th game....I hope we don't have a slow start this year....

Steel Maniac
05-24-2018, 08:27 AM
lol ....also seems like this team doesn't get in gear tell the 7th game....I hope we don't have a slow start this year....

A player would never openly "say" that. But we are talking about reality of the situation at hand. He's not going to see any starting time anytime soon. And we all know this. We are talking about "reality"; noy hypothetically.

**** Personally, I don't think any of us care where our future QB comes from. All we really care about is SOMEONE , panning out and actually being our next great franchise QB. So what if Dobbs all of a sudden flashed this camp and pre-season? Would anyone be upset about that? Other then Mason, I would hope not.

We have two guys that we hope one pans out to be that next great QB for us.

Oviedo
05-24-2018, 10:31 AM
I think Wilson had a better college resume. He didn’t have the stats like Rudolph but he had more impressive wins and clutch plays.

Wilson was a beast in college.

He was a beast his final year at Wisconsin but was a below 60% passer at NC State the previous three years.

We can agree to disagree on this one

Steelerphile
05-24-2018, 02:23 PM
Landy Jones isn't leaps and bounds better than anyone except someone like the ticket taker or the vendor or someone who has no business being in an NFL training camp. If Landry Jones were released I am not sure he would take over the No. 2 spot for any other NFL team.

Dobbs is a bonafide NFL prospect. I think people think only in terms of his first preseason start when he three for 100 yards and 2 int. On his fourth preseason game, Dobbs threw for 220 yards and 1 td and ran for another TD. That is better than any preseason game Jones has had in six years in the NFL,

Jones doesn't inspire great confidence in me when he gets an occasional start. He has a career QB rating of 86.2. 8 TDs, 7 ints. 3-2 record. He beat the Browns twice, should have lost the one in 2016 that the Browns gave away. Cincinnati gave back the playoff game when Jones threw what would normally have been a killer int. Jones has zero mobility. I don't think he could outrun a crab or a worm. Ran for -375 yards in college and - 19 yards as a pro.

Meaningless you say. No I think it does mean something.

Dobbs ran for over 2000 yards in college. his last year threw for 27 tds in college. If Dobbs can continue is upward trend that he showed from the 1st preseason game of 2017 to the 4th preseason game of 2017. I would keep him over Jones without hesitation. Rudolph can assume the No. 2 spot right away. If anyone would be insane enough to give the Steelers a relatively high draft pick for Jones I would jump all over that.

feltdizz
05-24-2018, 03:53 PM
He was a beast his final year at Wisconsin but was a below 60% passer at NC State the previous three years.

We can agree to disagree on this one

NC State was trash. He basically carried that team to some incredible 4th quarter wins.

One year i watched him beat Pitt damn near all by himself in the second half when they were down big at half time. I had no idea who he was before that day but I was a believer after that game.

Thats why I said he didn’t have the stats, he had the clutch gene though.

Also another reason i think stats are overrated. Big 12 QB’s have insane stats but they usually struggle when the pressure is on at the next level.

Hopefully Rudolph bucks that trend.

One other thing about Wilson. His senior year was so much better than his junior year. It’s pretty obvious his supporting cast and coaching was much better. NC State forced him out because he wouldn’t stop
playing baseball. Really it was because they had another QB who threatened to go somewhere else. That QB never panned our and the coach was fired while Wilson went to the Rose Bowl.

RuthlessBurgher
05-30-2018, 10:37 AM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Second-year quarterback Josh Dobbs (No. 5) has looked confident throwing the ball this offseason. Dobbs is one of three quarterbacks - including Landry Jones and rookie Mason Rudolph - vying for the two roster spots behind Ben Roethlisberger.

feltdizz
05-30-2018, 10:52 AM
Big Dobbs fan..

I hope he sticks around. Dude is a weapon.

Northern_Blitz
05-30-2018, 11:42 AM
Big Dobbs fan..

I hope he sticks around. Dude is a weapon.

Me too. I think that the best case is Rudolph winning the #2 and us keeping Dobbs at #3.

I think it's more likely that we keep Jones as #2, Rudolph and #3 and try to get Dobbs to the PS.

I don't know how likely it is to get a developmental QB to the PS though...it's not a problem I can remember us having before. I think that the bright side is that there are a bunch of teams that only want to carry 2 QBs (I think I've heard that the Steelers are in a minority here). If that's true, I don't think Dobbs will have enough on tape against NFL competition for someone to bring him on as the #2 or to want to cut another position to bring on a 3rd QB. That's what I'm hoping for, anyway.

If Dobbs and Rudolph have a strong pre-seasons, the team might have a tough call on their hands (which is a good problem to have).

hawaiiansteel
05-31-2018, 03:40 PM
Q&A: Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph

By JIM WEXELL

JW: How's everything going? How are you picking all of this up?

MR: Oh great. Today was a lot better. Yesterday made some mistakes, made some good plays. It's a process but every day you become more familiar. You can kind of be more vocal. You kind of earn your teammates' respect. You're out there with the same guys, you're seeing the same faces, you're learning different players' nuances of their games, what they can handle, who your playmakers are. That type of thing. It's been fun.

to read rest of article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/QA-Pittsburgh-Steelers-quarterback-Mason-Rudolph-118653584

Steel Maniac
05-31-2018, 10:07 PM
Love that Dobbs is looking better. What if he turned out to be our qb of the future? Lol

feltdizz
06-01-2018, 09:21 AM
Me too. I think that the best case is Rudolph winning the #2 and us keeping Dobbs at #3.

I think it's more likely that we keep Jones as #2, Rudolph and #3 and try to get Dobbs to the PS.

I don't know how likely it is to get a developmental QB to the PS though...it's not a problem I can remember us having before. I think that the bright side is that there are a bunch of teams that only want to carry 2 QBs (I think I've heard that the Steelers are in a minority here). If that's true, I don't think Dobbs will have enough on tape against NFL competition for someone to bring him on as the #2 or to want to cut another position to bring on a 3rd QB. That's what I'm hoping for, anyway.

If Dobbs and Rudolph have a strong pre-seasons, the team might have a tough call on their hands (which is a good problem to have).

Everyone remembers Dobs first game but not his last preseason game. 53 yards in 48 seconds for the win vs Carolina.

Slapstick
06-01-2018, 09:40 AM
Everyone remembers Dobs first game but not his last preseason game. 53 yards in 48 seconds for the win vs Carolina.

Dobbs was far from a finished product, but that kid has some moxie...I like him...

Landry Jones, OTOH, is a far more polished passer, but has zero moxie...

I hope that there is a fair competition between the three of them and that the two best players come out with roster spots...

RuthlessBurgher
06-01-2018, 10:32 AM
Dobbs was far from a finished product, but that kid has some moxie...I like him...

I hope that there is a fair competition between the three of them and that the two best players come out with roster spots...

I still think our QB roster choices will be weighted primarily on the performance of Rudolph, not necessarily on how well Landry or Dobbs performs.

If Rudolph performs well enough to win the primary backup job from day one, we cut Landry and keep Dobbs.

If Rudolph doesn't perform well enough to win the primary backup job from day one, we cut Dobbs and keep Landry.

Northern_Blitz
06-01-2018, 10:58 AM
I still think our QB roster choices will be weighted primarily on the performance of Rudolph, not necessarily on how well Landry or Dobbs performs.

If Rudolph performs well enough to win the primary backup job from day one, we cut Landry and keep Dobbs.

If Rudolph doesn't perform well enough to win the primary backup job from day one, we cut Dobbs and keep Landry.

Yep. And if Ben plays for the Steelers for the next three seasons, I wouldn't be surprised if Rudolph is the only one of the three left on the roster either way.

hawaiiansteel
06-05-2018, 08:33 PM
Labriola: Landry Jones, not Mason Rudolph, is Steelers' No.2 QB

By BRYAN DEARDO

Mason Rudolph apparently won't be in a position battle with Landry Jones to be the Pittsburgh Steelers' No.2 quarterback in 2018.

to read rest of article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/Landry-Jones-not-Mason-Rudolph-is-Pittsburgh-Steelers-No2-QB-118804209

Steel Maniac
06-05-2018, 10:07 PM
So no matter what Dobbs does, he has no chance? Shame.

steelz09
06-05-2018, 10:29 PM

What have you seem of Dobbs to "like him"?

From what I've seen, I would categorize his play somewhere around "god awful".

feltdizz
06-06-2018, 08:36 AM
So no matter what Dobbs does, he has no chance? Shame.

Does Bob Labriola work for the Steelers?

I think Dobbs has a chance but its a slim one..very slim.

Slapstick
06-06-2018, 09:21 AM

I watched the last game he played in the preseason last year...

16 for 23 with a TD, no INTs, 9+ yards per attempt, and a rushing TD to win the game....

feltdizz
06-06-2018, 09:51 AM
i watched the last game he played in the preseason last year...

16 for 23 with a td, no ints, 9+ yards per attempt, and a rushing td to win the game....

trash!!!!

Pure trash!!!

Steel Maniac
06-06-2018, 06:13 PM

Has anyone really seen Dobbs THIS year? I don't care about how he looked last year because he was a rookie. Now that he's comfortable and has a year under his belt as well as top coaching, I'm interested in what he looks like now.

feltdizz
06-07-2018, 09:11 AM
Has anyone really seen Dobbs THIS year? I don't care about how he looked last year because he was a rookie. Now that he's comfortable and has a year under his belt as well as top coaching, I'm interested in what he looks like now.

I agree. He looked much better in the last game last preseason. I'm sure he is more comfortable this year in the offense. Can't wait to see him play.

RuthlessBurgher
06-13-2018, 11:18 AM
Steelers OC: 'Physical tools are all there' with Mason Rudolph

10:29 AM ET

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- After nearly a month of offseason workouts as the new Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator, Randy Fichtner is digging his quarterback situation.

He has a franchise quarterback who wants to play another three to five years at a high level and a draft pick who needs time to develop but has major ability.

That's why Fichtner doesn't plan to micromanage his quarterback room led by Ben Roethlisberger and including third-round pick Mason Rudolph, who is going through a healthy rookie transition.

Still, Fichtner is mostly impressed by what he sees.

"Mason has been everything we’ve asked," Fichtner said. "Throws obviously a nice ball. The physical tools are all there. Obviously, mentally and learning is an acquired taste that comes through reps, physical reps and in-helmet perspectives, things that you’re not going to get and it’s not going to happen overnight. I just thank God every day we have the opportunity to have a franchise quarterback.”

That franchise quarterback has worked with Fichtner for much of the last decade. Fichtner has served as a wide receivers coach and quarterbacks coach since joining the franchise in 2007. Fichtner is close with his quarterback, and he doesn't expect that to change, instead hoping their working relationship will result in on-field chemistry.

Roethlisberger said he isn't putting a label on Fichtner's play-calling style but simply calls him a "winner."

"The relationship has always been respect first," Fichtner said. "He knows I’m going to give him an honest day’s work, whether I’m the quarterback, the offensive coordinator, or both, or whether I’m just his friend and I’m not here. I’m going to be his friend for a long time, and that’s not going to change, whether we win ugly or great. We have a communication line, there’s respect there, and we’ll move forward.”

Fichtner is also tasked with maximizing the skill set of second-year quarterback Josh Dobbs and helping veteran Landry Jones improve.

Now that Fichtner has to finalize his first playbook as an NFL coordinator -- he last coordinated an offense at Memphis in the mid-2000s -- he's taking inquiries.

Sort of.

“Occasionally Nate my son will show me some things that all of a sudden a niece sent from Ohio about a specific play they used on PlayStation and I ought to do it," Fichtner said. "So, I ought to do it."

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/28080/steelers-oc-physical-tools-are-all-there-with-mason-rudolph

Steel Maniac
06-13-2018, 11:26 AM
Of course all the physical tools are there for Rudolph.

And his accuracy is there as well. ;)

He and Mayfield have what it takes to make it in this league.

Steel Maniac
06-14-2018, 10:11 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/13075/mason-rudolph