PDA

View Full Version : A "What Might Have Been" Trade Up Scenario in Round One for a Potentially Elite LB

RuthlessBurgher
05-09-2018, 10:55 AM
My overall logic may be somewhat convoluted here, but I'm just curious if folks here would prefer the result of this hypothetical scenario below to the draft that actually happened in real life.

Oakland had already traded down once in the draft from #10 to #15, getting extra 3rd and 5th round picks from Arizona in the process. They took UCLA tackle Kolton Miller at #15 (who many pundits felt was a bit of a reach there, since he was more of late-round prospect than a mid-first round prospect), and they traded the 3rd round pick that they got from Arizona to us to obtain Martavis Bryant.

What if Oakland was willing to move down again to #28 to see if they could land Miller late in the first round where most pundits projected him? It turns out that the only OT taken between pick #15 and pick #28 was New England taking Georgia OT Isaiah Wynn at #23. We know that the Raiders considered Martavis Bryant to be worth the equivalent of a mid-third round pick, and according to the trade chart, the price to move up from #28 to #15 would essentially be a mid-third rounder and a late-third rounder.

What if, instead of getting pick 3.76 for Bryant straight up, we sent 1.28, 3.90, and Bryant to Oakland in exchange for pick 1.15? That would give us the opportunity to draft the other Edmunds' brother instead (LB Tremaine Edmunds), who would be a legit replacement for Shazier (we met with both brothers during our Pro Day visit to Blacksburg). But then we would not have no third round picks instead of two third round picks (although we would still have our early 7th round pick in this scenario, since there would be no trade-up for Mason Rudolph in this case).

Here's what we could have had in this hypothetical trade-up scenario:

1.15 ILB Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech
2.60 WR James Washington, Oklahoma State
5.148 SS Marcus Allen, Penn State
5.165 RB Jaylen Samuels, N.C. State
7.220 OT Jordan Mailata, Australia
7.246 DT Josh Frazier, Alabama

Essentially, we lose out on QB Mason Rudolph and have to go into the 2018 season with Landry Jones and Josh Dobbs backing up Ben just like last year, plus we get a different big ol' athletic specimen (albeit a much more raw lump of clay since he never actually played American football) for Munchak to attempt to mold in the Australian Rugby player in round 7 rather than Chukwuma Okorafor in round 3. But in exchange, we do fill our biggest need at ILB with a player who many ranked as a top 10 overall talent in this draft and who was still only 19 years old at the draft.

Thoughts?

Steel Maniac
05-09-2018, 11:27 AM
Wow...that's something to ponder. Hmmmm. .................

I'd have done the Raider deal and taken the other Edmunds. and signed a free agent veteran safety for cheap. For depth reasons.

Slapstick
05-09-2018, 12:33 PM
I might have done that as well...but, the Raiders would have had to agree...

That being said, Terrell will be good in our defense, IMO...neither am I unhappy with the QB succession plan...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-09-2018, 02:27 PM
What a great post, Ruth, thanks!

I'm not smart enough to answer it, but I'm loving the responses.

I do know that if we lose an OL to injury this year, our chances of going all the way, even if we'd gotten Edmunds "The Better", would pretty much be in the dirt without Chuks as one of our backups to replace the guy we lost (Hubbard?).

So, it's not as black and white as I was thinking at first ... "Wah, we didn't trade up to get Shazier, Jr. in the draft". Not that there was one, anyway.