PDA

View Full Version : Think about it

pittpete
05-08-2018, 12:09 PM
Our defense was instantly upgraded with the subtraction of Spence and Mitchell.:cool:

Slapstick
05-08-2018, 12:29 PM
I concur. There may be some question marks in the players who replaced/will replace them, but I'm much more confident in the defense now...

Steel Maniac
05-08-2018, 12:36 PM
Our defense was instantly upgraded with the subtraction of Spence and Mitchell.:cool:

You've got a point. I like Burnett back there too; I feel our secondary is better now then last year. Another year of experience for Burns and Davis and Burnett has me optimistic about their play.

Ernie
05-08-2018, 01:45 PM
You've got a point. I like Burnett back there too; I feel our secondary is better now then last year. Another year of experience for Burns and Davis and Burnett has me optimistic about their play.

Agree with all of this. Add Sutton and Brian Allen in there too. Burnett has been a mainstay the last few years for GB's defense. He's a big time upgrade over Mitchell. We are one quality FA ILB signing away from being very solid on defense.

Buzz
05-08-2018, 01:46 PM
Best case scenario, IMO, is that Davis ends up excelling at FS. And he just might. He seems to have the athletic skillset. If that happens, our secondary just might become the strength of our defense.

Steel Maniac
05-08-2018, 02:22 PM
Agree with all of this. Add Sutton and Brian Allen in there too. Burnett has been a mainstay the last few years for GB's defense. He's a big time upgrade over Mitchell. We are one quality FA ILB signing away from being very solid on defense.

Exactly.....................

Ghost
05-08-2018, 03:16 PM
That's a nice sentiment and all but if the front 7 can't stop the run and teams are gashing them for 5 to 7 a touch it doesn't matter who's playing safety. Better pray there are no injuries in an already thin group.

squidkid
05-08-2018, 05:23 PM
man, we are definitely the best now because last year at this point fans were saying how great the defense was going to be...................and now this.
woohoo

Slapstick
05-08-2018, 05:27 PM
Nope, you’re right...

Every draft pick was bad...

Every returning player and free agent is bad...

Every coach is bad...

The ownership is bad...

Clearly, we have no chance and will be looking up at the Cleveland Browns despite the fact that we have the “most talent” in the NFL...

We should just give up on the season now...

squidkid
05-08-2018, 05:32 PM
Nope, you’re right...

Every draft pick was bad...

Every returning player and free agent is bad...

Every coach is bad...

The ownership is bad...

Clearly, we have no chance and will be looking up at the Cleveland Browns despite the fact that we have the “most talent” in the NFL...

We should just give up on the season now...

lol....................lying and making stuff up.
didnt you try to say i do that?
you are too easy...........i love it

Slapstick
05-08-2018, 05:34 PM

Nope. You have won me over with your dogged persistence.

You posted, “The Pats will always beat us.”

Am I making that up?

Clearly, the Steelers have no chance...

Throw in the towel now...

Steel Maniac
05-08-2018, 06:15 PM
That's a nice sentiment and all but if the front 7 can't stop the run and teams are gashing them for 5 to 7 a touch it doesn't matter who's playing safety. Better pray there are no injuries in an already thin group.

That's what I say Ghost but there are people who are content with adding Bostic and all will be fine. :rolleyes:

Slapstick
05-08-2018, 07:02 PM
Signing Bowman will magically make everything better, though...

Buzz
05-08-2018, 07:32 PM

Wouldn't make everything better, but might provide some needed help.

But it wouldn't necessarily have to be Bowman. Look how Joe Haden came available last offseason. Maybe Kendricks from Philly or somebody else will be released or made available.

Ernie
05-08-2018, 07:39 PM

There are a number of things that have occurred that should make us better overall as a defensive unit (young DB's getting another year under their belt, quality FA acquisitions in positions of need, doubling up in the draft on quality Safeties, etc.) With that being said, even with the signing of Bostic, ILB depth is a huge question mark right now. Signing Bowman would make our defense better on day 1. As poor as our ILB corp is, Bowman could have the same impact for our ILB's that Joe Haden did for our secondary last year.

Slapstick
05-08-2018, 08:03 PM

But it wouldn't necessarily have to be Bowman. Look how Joe Haden came available last offseason. Maybe Kendricks from Philly or somebody else will be released or made available.

Kendricks and Bowman were both guys that the Steelers met with before they were drafted...

One source said that Kendrick’s might be available for a 2019 5th round pick...I say, sign him up! He’s still well south of 30...

Ernie
05-08-2018, 08:09 PM
Kendricks and Bowman were both guys that the Steelers met with before they were drafted...

One source said that Kendrick’s might be available for a 2019 5th round pick...I say, sign him up! He’s still well south of 30...

Pull the trigger!

RuthlessBurgher
05-08-2018, 08:19 PM
Pull the trigger!

Kendricks' cap hit is currently $7.6M this year and $8.6M next year. If a player gets traded, I think the trading team might be responsible for the remainder of his signing bonus against their cap, with the acquiring team responsible only for the base salary (not 100% sure about that, though). Even if that were the case, Kendricks still has base salaries of $5.85M in 2018 and $6.85M in 2019. Oh, plus Jon Bostic and Vince Williams each had more tackles than Mychal Kendricks last year.

Slapstick
05-08-2018, 08:41 PM
You are correct in that the team who acquired the player isn’t responsible for the signing bonus...we weren’t responsible for the bonuses of JJ Wilcox or Vance McDonald...

At any rate, regardless of whether or not Bostic had a few more tackles, I think Kendrick would be a good addition....better, IMO, then Bowman...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-08-2018, 09:22 PM

If you remember back, Haden came with quite a few question marks. His play had declined the last couple of seasons and he was "not as fast" as he used to be. Most reasonably priced vets come with the potential upside and a ton of question marks due to age and injury history. If Bostic stays healthy, and plays two-down LB like he did before injury last season it is a good signing. If he gets hurt then it was a huge FO blunder.

RuthlessBurgher
05-08-2018, 10:05 PM
For what it's worth, Bostic was a 3 down LB last season in Indy. It could be that Vince is the one who comes off the field in sub packages and Bostic stays.

Slapstick
05-08-2018, 10:23 PM
I agree. I could see Vince and Bostic competing...

pittpete
05-08-2018, 11:30 PM
For what it's worth, Bostic was a 3 down LB last season in Indy. It could be that Vince is the one who comes off the field in sub packages and Bostic stays.

Also theres no rule that says an ILB has to be on the field on passing downs...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-08-2018, 11:37 PM

Dude, stop posting like a hysterical ninny, stick to football, and stop being a troll. Your posts really stand out here, and in a wrong way.

RuthlessBurgher
05-09-2018, 10:11 AM

Beyond the nickel defense with 5 DB's and dime defense with 6 DB's, we could also potentially run a quarter defense with 7 DB's.

You could have a pass-rushing front four of Watt, Tuitt, Heyward, and Dupree (or Watt, Tuitt, Hargrave, and Heyward).

Behind them, you could have 4 safeties and 3 CB (keep Morgan Burnett and Marcus Allen near the line of scrimmage to protect against a possible run and Sean Davis and Terrell Edmunds deep, with Haden and Burns outside and Hilton in the slot).

Or you could opt for 3 safeties and 4 corners instead (keep Morgan Burnett and Terrell Edmunds near the line of scrimmage to protect against a possible run with Sean Davis in the deep middle, Haden and Burns outside, and Hilton and Sutton manning the slot on either side of the formation).

Steel Maniac
05-09-2018, 10:26 AM
There are a number of things that have occurred that should make us better overall as a defensive unit (young DB's getting another year under their belt, quality FA acquisitions in positions of need, doubling up in the draft on quality Safeties, etc.) With that being said, even with the signing of Bostic, ILB depth is a huge question mark right now. Signing Bowman would make our defense better on day 1. As poor as our ILB corp is, Bowman could have the same impact for our ILB's that Joe Haden did for our secondary last year.

Exactly. Thanks

Northern_Blitz
05-09-2018, 11:11 AM

I thought this was the default assumption. Vince isn't a 3 down linebacker. Bostic has been (while healthy). If he goes down, I think they will groom Edmunds for that role.

Slapstick
05-09-2018, 12:45 PM
I believe that Marcus Allen could end up being de facto ILB depth...when ILB depth was a problem before, the Steelers played Troy Polamalu in that role...

squidkid
05-09-2018, 01:28 PM
Dude, stop posting like a hysterical ninny, stick to football, and stop being a troll. Your posts really stand out here, and in a wrong way.

lol..........but when your buddy slappy does it its okay.....classic

feltdizz
05-09-2018, 01:35 PM
lol..........but when your buddy slappy does it its okay.....classic

your sig proves his point.

squidkid
05-09-2018, 01:38 PM
your sig proves his point.

my sig proves something else also

Ernie
05-09-2018, 05:34 PM
Kendricks' cap hit is currently $7.6M this year and $8.6M next year. If a player gets traded, I think the trading team might be responsible for the remainder of his signing bonus against their cap, with the acquiring team responsible only for the base salary (not 100% sure about that, though). Even if that were the case, Kendricks still has base salaries of $5.85M in 2018 and $6.85M in 2019. Oh, plus Jon Bostic and Vince Williams each had more tackles than Mychal Kendricks last year.

Thanks for the tutorial. I wasn't considering the numbers when making the statement "Pull the trigger". Lets be honest... any knowledgeable fan (including you) knows our ILB depth is garbage. Well below the line in terms of the Steelers tradition at the position.

Ernie
05-09-2018, 05:36 PM

In the modern day NFL, what would be defined as a "Passing down"?

squidkid
05-09-2018, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the tutorial. I wasn't considering the numbers when making the statement "Pull the trigger". Lets be honest... any knowledgeable fan (including you) knows our ILB depth is garbage. Well below the line in terms of the Steelers tradition at the position.

not just depth

pittpete
05-09-2018, 06:40 PM

3rd and more than 10

feltdizz
05-09-2018, 06:49 PM

3rd and 7 or more yards unless you are playing the Bills.

Ernie
05-09-2018, 08:07 PM
I think it's a little more complicated than "3rd and long"... considering the league average is close to 60/40 pass to run.

Ernie
05-09-2018, 08:09 PM
not just depth

It is a sad state of affairs when your top returning ILB on the depth chart is widely known as "Serviceable" at best. We need another solid 3 down ILB...hopefully one that is good enough to supplant VW.

feltdizz
05-10-2018, 09:50 AM
It is a sad state of affairs when your top returning ILB on the depth chart is widely known as "Serviceable" at best. We need another solid 3 down ILB...hopefully one that is good enough to supplant VW.

I wonder how Farrior was described before we signed him? I don't remember fans being hype when we acquired him.

I know he had a great year after his second year was filled with injuries when he was with the Jets.

Buzz
05-10-2018, 10:20 AM
I wonder how Farrior was described before we signed him? I don't remember fans being hype when we acquired him.

I know he had a great year after his second year was filled with injuries when he was with the Jets.
I was hyped when we acquired him. An early first-round pick who'd been misused by the Jets for much of his time there, I figured he would be a key player in our D, and he was. I hope Bostic can make as great of an impact as Farrior did, but I'm not nearly as confident about him.

Ernie
05-10-2018, 12:59 PM

You missed the part of my post about "Returning ILB" meaning Vince Williams. I'm pretty excited about Bostic. It appears to be a step in the right direction. We need one more like him to add to the ILB corp... and yea, I was excited about the Farrier signing.

feltdizz
05-10-2018, 01:12 PM
You missed the part of my post about "Returning ILB" meaning Vince Williams. I'm pretty excited about Bostic. It appears to be a step in the right direction. We need one more like him to add to the ILB corp... and yea, I was excited about the Farrier signing.

oh. My bad.

Northern_Blitz
05-10-2018, 01:58 PM

Maybe just thinking about down and distance is too narrow? Would it be more appropriate to think about which defense is on the field. Maybe a "passing down" is any time we'd have nickle or dime on the field (and an "running down" is where we have the base D on the field)?

feltdizz
05-10-2018, 03:15 PM
Maybe just thinking about down and distance is too narrow? Would it be more appropriate to think about which defense is on the field. Maybe a "passing down" is any time we'd have nickle or dime on the field (and an "running down" is where we have the base D on the field)?

but we have no idea what the offense is going to run in those situations.

we can predict and hope it's right when we are in nickel and dime but I think that's part of the reason our run D was gashed so often. We weren't prepared to stop the run and were soft up front.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-10-2018, 03:20 PM

Also depends on who the opponent is. Last season the top 3 pass play percentages were:

Miami - 63.82% (Kenyan Drake RB, Jay Cutler QB)
Detroit - 62.96% (Ameer Abdullah RB, Matt Stafford QB)
Tampa - 62.32% (Doug Martin RB, Jameis Winston QB)

and the top three running percentages were:

Jacksonville - 49.49% (Fournette RB, Bortles QB)
Buffalo - 47.88% (McCoy RB, Tyrod Taylor QB)
Dallas - 47.76% (Elliot RB, Prescott QB)

Ernie
05-10-2018, 03:24 PM
oh. My bad.

Its cool. You'd be in the right for questioning someone for writing off Bostic before he stepped on the field for us.

Ernie
05-10-2018, 03:26 PM
but we have no idea what the offense is going to run in those situations.

we can predict and hope it's right when we are in nickel and dime but I think that's part of the reason our run D was gashed so often. We weren't prepared to stop the run and were soft up front.

Its a back and forth chess match for sure. You can bet QB's see us line up in a Nickel or Dime, and often then check down to a run play.

Ernie
05-10-2018, 03:29 PM

"Down and distance" is definitely too narrow of a viewpoint. Both Offenses and Defenses look at "Tendencies" and often times try to work against those to keep the other team off balance.