PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Steeler draft pick in the 2018 draft?

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2018, 02:45 PM
Mine is RB/FB/TE/H-back Jaylen Samuels, N.C. State 6'0" 225 lbs. with pick 5.165

From NFLDraftScout:

Playing every offensive position (except offensive line) over his collegiate career, Samuels was a do-everything performer at NC State, running wildcat, taking hand-offs, lead blocking and lining up outside and in the slot. The ACC created an “all-purpose” category on their postseason all-conference team to fit a player with Samuels’ skill-set.

Samuels averaged 6.1 yards per rush for the Wolfpack, but his abilities as a pass-catcher are what will be his calling card in the NFL. He passed Jerricho Cotchery and Torry Holt for the most career receptions (202) in NC State history and has NFL-level ball skills to extend, snag and finish throws away from his body.

Chameleon skill-set and comfortable filling multiple offensive roles. Coordinated route-runner with short-area quickness to separate from man coverage. Consistently extends and bails out inaccurate throws with his catch radius. Makes focused grabs in congestion. Open-field athleticism to sidestep and force missed tackles. Never concedes and runs through contact to finish. High football IQ and situational awareness. Assignment alert in pass protection…tough to find accurate words to describe his extreme competitive nature and isn’t shy letting the opponents know about it. Played every non-lineman position on offense, using his versatility to exploit defenses. Finished his career with almost 3,000 yards of total offense and didn’t miss a game the last four seasons. School’s all-time leader in receptions (202), consecutive games with a reception (41) and ranks second all-time in offensive touchdowns (47).

Granted, in terms of pure RB ability, Samuels is not in Le'Veon Bell's league (or else he would never have lasted to round 5), but he is built very similarly to Le'Veon Bell and excels at all of those other Le'Veon Bell type of things such as catching the ball out of the backfield, can run a full route tree from the slot position, can block well, has a nose for the goal line, has a high football IQ, competitive nature, etc.

There has been preseason talk of a "pony backfield" in Pittsburgh for years which never seems to come to fruition once the regular season arrives, but putting Bell and Samuels in the same backfield could cause fits for defenses, because either of them could line up virtually anywhere, can carry the ball, can block, can run routes, can catch, etc.

I could really see a Larry Centers like career for this kid (remember him with the Cardinals in the 90's?). If not, think back to former Steeler (and Seahawk) John L. Williams...something like that. I don't see him ever being a RB1, but even if he only gets handed the ball 2 or 3 times per game, I think he is capable of catching 50 or 60 ball for 500-600 yards in any given season.

Slapstick
05-03-2018, 03:03 PM
I'm going with Rudolph, because of the very possibility that he could be a franchise QB...

After Ben retired, I feared having to wander in the proverbial desert for years, searching for another franchise QB...

Now, there is a succession plan in place...a franchise QB and a good coach create opportunities for SBs...when the window with Ben closes, hopefully, the window with Rudolph will be open for a good, long time...

Oviedo
05-03-2018, 03:27 PM
Edmunds...I always liked him and it appears the team did too

I think he will be an outstanding addition

pittpete
05-03-2018, 03:49 PM
WR James Washington

Steel Maniac
05-03-2018, 05:16 PM
Washington right now but from all the things they are saying, Samuels could persuade me.

squidkid
05-03-2018, 05:19 PM
Washington right now but from all the things they are saying, Samuels could persuade me.

would be nice, i just dont see where the guy is going to get many touches unless bell gets hurt or suspended.................oh, in that case, theres a pretty good chance he will

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
05-03-2018, 06:49 PM
I'll go with Edmunds. Last year there was supposed interest in Jabril Peppers, but he went before the Steelers went. A kid who played S, LB, CB, jack of all trades. If they wanted him so badly they must have had a plan for him. They instead targeted a similar type player this year: Big athletic safety who plays all over the D. I really hope that they have something different in store here.

Chadman
05-03-2018, 07:09 PM
For pure “put a smile on Chadman’s Face” happiness, the pick that most pleased Chadman was actually Marcus Allen in the 5th because Chapman had him as a potential 2nd round choice at the end there. To get him in the 5th seems great. Do like his style of play.

If Samuels ends up a Larry Centers- what a terrific pick (and comparison).

Strangely, the pick-up of Matthew Thomas as an UDFA is kind of exciting too.

NorthCoast
05-03-2018, 07:25 PM
Mine is RB/FB/TE/H-back Jaylen Samuels, N.C. State 6'0" 225 lbs. with pick 5.165

Granted, in terms of pure RB ability, Samuels is not in Le'Veon Bell's league (or else he would never have lasted to round 5), but he is built very similarly to Le'Veon Bell and excels at all of those other Le'Veon Bell type of things such as catching the ball out of the backfield, can run a full route tree from the slot position, can block well, has a nose for the goal line, has a high football IQ, competitive nature, etc.

There has been preseason talk of a "pony backfield" in Pittsburgh for years which never seems to come to fruition once the regular season arrives, but putting Bell and Samuels in the same backfield could cause fits for defenses, because either of them could line up virtually anywhere, can carry the ball, can block, can run routes, can catch, etc.

I could really see a Larry Centers like career for this kid (remember him with the Cardinals in the 90's?). If not, think back to former Steeler (and Seahawk) John L. Williams...something like that. I don't see him ever being a RB1, but even if he only gets handed the ball 2 or 3 times per game, I think he is capable of catching 50 or 60 ball for 500-600 yards in any given season.I'd take another J L Williams in a heartbeat.

feltdizz
05-04-2018, 10:12 AM
I think it's a tie between Edmunds and Washington.

I expect both to get playing time early and I expect both to make plays.

What's funny is I told 2 friends we were going to get the WR from Washington and they thought I meant Washington and were shocked I called it right. I didn't but I let it ride for a few. His tape is impressive but I think his hands might be a little shaky underneath. Great weapon over the top and that should be his primary role this first year.

Steel Maniac
05-04-2018, 10:15 AM
would be nice, i just dont see where the guy is going to get many touches unless bell gets hurt or suspended.................oh, in that case, theres a pretty good chance he will

Samuels will get a chance to showcase his skill set in camp and pre-season because Bell won't be around.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-04-2018, 12:17 PM
Samuels will get a chance to showcase his skill set in camp and pre-season because Bell won't be around.
FWIW, Samuels was also my fav pick... Granted, I have a bias to RBs (who I think are undervalued in today's NFL) - but, this kid has a solid skillset and IF Bell misses time (which he could for a number of reasons), this kid could handle all his duties on passing downs.... it's a good fit

RuthlessBurgher
05-07-2018, 03:51 PM
Here's a nice write-up on my guy Jaylen Samuels which displays his true versatility in this offense if Fichtner gets creative and uses him in multiple ways:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/5/6/17305804/how-jaylen-samuels-can-be-just-what-the-doctor-ordered-for-the-steelers-offense-leveon-bell-nfl

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-07-2018, 04:27 PM
I wonder how Samuel's pass pro blocking is. A huge part of LB's value IMO.

Northern_Blitz
05-07-2018, 04:32 PM
WR James Washington

This. I feel like Washington has the best path to noticeably impact on-field production.

Even if Edmunds is "better", I think he's more about keeping Gronk to 80 yards and a TD instead of 150 yards and 3 TDs. It's important, and maybe the difference between winning and losing but a "good" day like that looks worse than a good day for Washington where he has 80 yards and a TD.

phillyesq
05-07-2018, 06:00 PM
For me its Edmunds. With his size, speed and athletic ability, I could see him being a playmaker from all over the defense. I don't necessarily expect him to get there as a rookie, but I'd hope that the team finds a role for him early and expands it as he progresses. Of course, he could also turn into the Bud Dupree of safeties, but I'll stay optimistic for now.

Shoe
05-07-2018, 10:14 PM
I have a feeling that the O-lineman is someone they think has big-time potential.

Ernie
05-08-2018, 07:08 AM
Rudolph, mainly because the FO had him rated with the top tier QBs in the class... and was considered a borderline 1st round talent.

I am happy that the Steelers drafted a guy that they feel can be the QB of the future. Rudolph is in a great situation. This pick shows that, ultimately, Ben is NOT bigger than the organization, and they are making plans for life after him. This could make for a seamless transition (keeping us in the hunt) after Ben retires.

Oviedo
05-08-2018, 09:15 AM
For me its Edmunds. With his size, speed and athletic ability, I could see him being a playmaker from all over the defense. I don't necessarily expect him to get there as a rookie, but I'd hope that the team finds a role for him early and expands it as he progresses. Of course, he could also turn into the Bud Dupree of safeties, but I'll stay optimistic for now.

I could see Edmunds following a Troy P. growth path where he shows glimpses of some real special ability as a rookie and really comes into his own in Year 2 and 3. I'm not saying he becomes the next Troy, but I'm also not saying he doesn't become a player who is almost as good and can do as many things. I really think Edmunds has a really big upside.

Oviedo
05-08-2018, 09:17 AM
Rudolph, mainly because the FO had him rated with the top tier QBs in the class... and was considered a borderline 1st round talent.

I am happy that the Steelers drafted a guy that they feel can be the QB of the future. Rudolph is in a great situation. This pick shows that, ultimately, Ben is NOT bigger than the organization, and they are making plans for life after him. This could make for a seamless transition (keeping us in the hunt) after Ben retires.

I'm also kinda excited to see what MR can do. I do think he needs to improve reading the defenses and not locking into his first read but he has time to learn that. I really feel that with MR on the roster we have probably the best QB transition plan in place since Ben joined the team. It gives me hope we won't experience the "Dark Ages" we had after Bradshaw left.

Rara
05-09-2018, 12:58 PM
Mason Rudolph for sure but if I had a second, it would be Marcus Allen.

feltdizz
05-09-2018, 01:09 PM
I'm also kinda excited to see what MR can do. I do think he needs to improve reading the defenses and not locking into his first read but he has time to learn that. I really feel that with MR on the roster we have probably the best QB transition plan in place since Ben joined the team. It gives me hope we won't experience the "Dark Ages" we had after Bradshaw left.

I'm withholding my excitement. I felt the same way with Landry Jones when we drafted him. Crazy stats, passing records, etc..

Hopefully Rudolph is the truth.

williar
05-09-2018, 07:54 PM
Mason Rudolph is mine. If this kid shows any kind of poise, learn-ability, upside, leadership skills - I'm ready to call it a day! I have long accepted the fact the Ben is not going to play forever, neither is he going to change the way he plays. I see a great future here for Mason Rudolph...

RuthlessBurgher
05-14-2018, 03:39 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

One Steelers rookie who has an edge: running back Jaylen Samuels, who said he feels ‘disrespected' by going in the fifth round. Felt his versatility — 201 career catches at N.C. State and 47 touchdowns in 383 touches — warranted better draft footing. "That's just a little bit of motivation for me. I've always been underestimated all my life," he said.

RuthlessBurgher
05-14-2018, 03:47 PM
Versatility is a key for Samuels

Posted 35 minutes ago

Teresa Varley

Steelers.com

Jaylen Samuels brings a multitude of talents to the running back position.

Versatility.

For a rookie, it couldn’t be more a valuable quality as they work to show their coaches they should occupy one of the coveted spots on the 53-man roster when the regular season begins.

For Jaylen Samuels, versatility is his middle name.

Samuels did it all at North Carolina State. Running back, tight end, and slot receiver. He was even named first-team All-ACC as an all-purpose player, highlighting that not only did he do it all, but he did it well.

The rookie fifth-round draft pick is listed on the Steelers roster as a running back. But if the team’s recently completed minicamp is any indication that versatility will continue in the NFL.

“They have me playing a lot of different positions,” said Samuels. “Right now they have me in the backfield, running the ball as well. Also in the slot, moving around. Playing outside receiver. Pretty much what I was doing in college. Just finding ways to get me the ball. I am up for the task and just ready to get to work.

“It’s good to get in that playbook, learn everything, as much as I can before OTAs, so when those come I can be comfortable.”

Those OTAs start on May 22, three weeks of voluntary football work with the rookies joining the veterans on the field for the first time. Rookie minicamp was just the introduction. OTAs are the next step before things get real in training camp.

“To get back out here, do what I love doing, getting used to the playbook, getting used to the fast paced tempo of the practices. So far, so good,” said Samuels near the end of rookie minicamp. “I am going to get used to it after a while. I am trying to learn the plays right now. There is a lot of thinking going on. Once I get the plays, I can play a little faster and I feel like I will be more comfortable.

“I am ready to get out here, meet the veterans, be able to compete with the veterans and just show them what I can bring to the table and help this team win.”

He also plans on using this time to improve all aspects of his game, including his route running, something he takes pride in, but still wants to get better.

“I love route running,” said Samuels. “I like to get the details in the routes and beat people in open space. I have been doing that all of my life. I still have work to do. That is what practice is for. I am out here to get better.”

Samuels has a little extra motivation to keep getting better, driven by the chip on his shoulder after he lasted until the fifth round.

“It was tough,” admitted Samuels. “I felt disrespected. But the Steelers organization, they believed in me and as long as I have the opportunity I am going to go on with this.

“There is a little bit of chip on my shoulder, but I can’t wait to get back out here. I have had a chip on my shoulder all my life. I have always been underestimated all my life, even coming to college. That is motivation for me.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-4/Versatility-is-a-key-for-Samuels/2f61d8fc-adfc-432f-b507-22b8f18305b3

Steel Maniac
05-14-2018, 05:01 PM
Ball out Jaylen. Ball out.

Everything else will fall into place if you do that.

RuthlessBurgher
05-15-2018, 10:46 AM
As Le'Veon sits, Jaylen Samuels hopes to answer 'bell' for Steelers

8:37 AM ET

Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

PITTSBURGH -- Jaylen Samuels has an edge that's obvious within the first few minutes of speaking to him. Ask the running back about his fifth-round status in the NFL draft and his answer is blunt.

"I’ve felt disrespected. That’s just a little bit of motivation for me," said Samuels, who caught 201 passes at North Carolina State along with scoring 47 touchdowns in 383 overall touches. "I’ve always been underestimated all my life."

Yeah, those seven scholarship offers and three-star high school recruiting rankings still bother Samuels, a fullback out of Charlotte (N.C.) Mallard Creek High School.

Steelers rookie Jaylen Samuels feels right at home catching passes out of the backfield. AP Photo/Keith Srakocic

Late-round picks are hardly slam dunks to crack the rotation, but at 225 pounds with a 4.54 40 time, Samuels plans to make things interesting at running back for the Steelers.

With Le'Veon Bell poised to sit out workouts and possibly training camp, depending now what happens with his franchise tag this summer, Samuels will have every chance to do just that.

James Conner will get a sizable spotlight during OTAs and minicamp as a former third-round pick who rushed for 144 yards on 32 carries last season before suffering a torn medial collateral ligament in Week 15. Conner should be all healed up and ready to fight for a primary role behind Bell. But veteran Stevan Ridley is eyeing a career reinvention in Pittsburgh, and Fitz Toussaint has been in and out of the Steelers' backfield the past three seasons.

Competition won't be lacking in this spot.

What the Steelers hope to see from Samuels, though, is a little bit of N.C. State flare. Running backs coach James Saxon couldn't keep his eyes off Samuels when watching Wolfpack tape during draft prep. Samuels is a magnet for the end zone, scoring on nearly every eighth offensive touch in college.

"The kid answers the bell in a lot of different ways," Saxon said. "You can just tell as you watch games and you evaluate tape that certain situations where they need a big play, they stick him back there and hand him the ball."

One pre-draft concern for Samuels was identity. He served as an H-back of sorts in college -- part fullback, part tight end, part ball carrier. What was he, exactly?

But Samuiels feels at home as a receiver out of the backfield. The Steelers offense loves the running back-receiver role. Ben Roethlisberger is at his best when Bell -- who has 312 catches in five seasons -- is adding an extra 60 yards on easy throws and after-the-catch playmaking.

"That’s what I’ve been doing all my life," said Samuels about a receiver role.

The Steelers would have sent ripples through the offense by selecting a running back in the first two rounds of last month's draft. They liked LSU's Derrius Guice and followed him closely in the process. But the three-day draft took many twists and turns for a franchise that needed defensive help and a wide receiver upgrade thanks to the Martavis Bryant trade. Those needs resulted in safety Terrell Edmunds and James Washington. Then, quarterback Mason Rudolph was still available in the early third, so the Steelers went for a luxury item.

But the good franchises find success with late-round picks. Three years ago, the Steelers selected tight end Jesse James, who's a key part of the rotation.

Perhaps Samuels is the next impact piece, finding the respect he craves.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/27910/as-leveon-sits-jaylen-samuels-hopes-to-answer-the-bell-for-steelers

RuthlessBurgher
05-17-2018, 12:18 PM
Jaylen Samuels talks rookie minicamp, and how he has been abusing defenders his “entire life”

The newest offensive weapon for the Pittsburgh Steelers is a jack of all trades, and should be a welcome sight in the Steel City.

By Jeff Hartman
May 17, 2018, 9:39am EDT

When the Pittsburgh Steelers selected the versatile Jaylen Samuels out of North Carolina State in the 5th round they received a tremendous player. For those who were wondering why he fell to the 5th, the answer is simple — he is the jack of all trades, yet the master at none.

In fact, it was tough for NFL Draft analysts to even pigeon hole Samuels into one position. While in college he lined up at running back, halfback, tight end and even wide receiver. If you watch any highlight reel on Samuels while in college you can see him all over the field.

If you haven’t done some homework on Samuels, it is worth your time. What the Steelers have in this versatile back is a player who is capable of not only breaking off big plays, but creating mismatches all over the field. He can run between the tackles, is able to get to the edge, can block and even runs very good routes for a running back.

He truly can do it all, but what did the Steelers have him working on throughout rookie minicamp? In an interview with the Steelers.com he said they had him primarily in the backfield, but that doesn’t mean he won’t be lining up elsewhere throughout the offseason and gearing up to the regular season.

Samuels spoke about how he enjoys route running, and how he is excited to learn from one of the best in Le’Veon Bell, but the best part of the interview, by far, is Samuels talking about his ability to get the ball in open space — after all, he has been doing it for a long time.

Check out the complete interview below to get a glimpse of one of the four offensive players who are now a part of the high-flying Steelers offense.

Jaylen Samuels talks about his draft day experience, his versatility and how he intends to learn from Le'Veon Bell. pic.twitter.com/u3Q6AVFhJR

— Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) May 15, 2018

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/5/17/17357264/jaylen-samuels-talks-rookie-minicamp-and-how-he-has-been-abusing-defenders-his-entire-life-nfl-draft

Northern_Blitz
05-17-2018, 01:21 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

One Steelers rookie who has an edge: running back Jaylen Samuels, who said he feels ‘disrespected' by going in the fifth round. Felt his versatility — 201 career catches at N.C. State and 47 touchdowns in 383 touches — warranted better draft footing. "That's just a little bit of motivation for me. I've always been underestimated all my life," he said.

It's interesting to hear them talk about him on the Terrible Podcast (Steelers Depot). Sounds like he's done a bunch of exciting things, but they can't find much / any tape of him blocking. They argue that it might be hard for him to see the field with Bell on the roster. 3rd down back makes some sense if we want to limit Bell's touches, but if he can't block he can't be a 3rd down back (see Connor, J).

On the positive side, the point out that having him and Bell in the huddle would be tough for a defense. Is that a two back formation, or 5 wide?

feltdizz
05-17-2018, 01:36 PM
It's interesting to hear them talk about him on the Terrible Podcast (Steelers Depot). Sounds like he's done a bunch of exciting things, but they can't find much / any tape of him blocking. They argue that it might be hard for him to see the field with Bell on the roster. 3rd down back makes some sense if we want to limit Bell's touches, but if he can't block he can't be a 3rd down back (see Connor, J).

On the positive side, the point out that having him and Bell in the huddle would be tough for a defense. Is that a two back formation, or 5 wide?

if he can't block he can't be a 3rd down back.

Slapstick
05-17-2018, 01:43 PM
He has shown that he can block off the line at TE...if he can do that, he can probably pass protect...

RuthlessBurgher
05-17-2018, 02:01 PM

Yeah...putting in AB, Juju, and Washington at WR with LB and Samuels at RB gives you endless possibilities.

If the defense counters with a bunch of big uglies, you can potentially go 5-wide hurry-up with those guys since both Bell and Samuels are capable of running essentially the entire route tree out of the slot. Pass, pass, pass...

If the defense counters with a dime look, you could line up Samuels at FB, Bell at HB, and have Juju & Washington (both solidly built WR's in the 215 lbs. range) to block for them as quasi-TE's as well. Run, run, run...

RuthlessBurgher
07-09-2018, 10:51 AM
Jaylen Samuels did it all for N.C. State, but can he duplicate that with the Steelers?

The Pittsburgh Steelers drafted an extremely versatile weapon in Jaylen Samuels, but can he duplicate this success in the NFL?

By Jeff Hartman
Jul 9, 2018, 10:19am EDT

There are times when NFL Draft “experts” do nothing but blow smoke. They pump up prospects they personally like, while downgrading others who have glaring strengths.

This was the case with a lot of draftniks regarding Jaylen Samuels, the Swiss Army Knife coming out of North Carolina State. Most labeled him as a jack of all trades, but a master of none.

When the Pittsburgh Steelers selected Samuels, no one knew what to expect from him. Is he a running back? A tight end? An H-back? A full back? Or a wide receiver?

To put into words/numbers what kind of versatility Samuels brings to the team, check out the information below, per Pro Football Focus (PFF):

New #Steelers HB Jaylen Samuels was used primarily in the slot for @PackFootball last season, but he played all over the field. His 2017 snaps by position:

Slot Receiver: 458
HB: 83
TE: 79
FB: 62
Outside WR: 33
QB: 15

#SteelerSpotlight

— PFF PIT Steelers (@PFF_Steelers) June 28, 2018

While the jack of all trades, the master of none, is a mantra many use when talking about Samuels, there is also the saying which states ‘the more you can do’...

This certainly applies for Samuels as he tries to make the Steelers’ 53-man roster. The fact remains Samuels is a 5th round draft pick, and there is no guarantee he even makes the team, despite the hype surrounding him from the black-and-gold fan base.

With that said, the fact Samuels can do so many things makes it a lot easier for the team to find a place for him on their roster. Samuels’ ability to line up as a running back, fullback, wide receiver, tight end and even as a wildcat quarterback on occasion certainly increases his chances of making the team, and potentially seeing the field outside of special teams.

However, as players transition from college to the professional ranks, the expansive playbook can often be too much for them to learn in their rookie season. There is a good possibility the Steelers don’t utilize him in all the various roles N.C. State did based on the fact he has to learn the system, and adapt to life in the NFL.

Otherwise, there is nothing saying Samuels won’t be able to play a variety of positions throughout his NFL career. Some might even suggest his draft selection was the organization preparing for the possibility of life without Le’Veon Bell. No, Samuels isn’t the all-around back like Bell, but he can be the wide receiver/dual threat Bell brings to the team on a weekly basis.

How do you see Samuels’ rookie campaign going? Do you see him making the team? If so, how will he be utilized?

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/7/9/17535974/jaylen-samuels-did-it-all-for-n-c-state-but-can-he-duplicate-that-with-the-steelers-nfl-draft-news

RuthlessBurgher
08-07-2018, 10:45 AM
Jaylen Samuels could be the latest ‘Swiss Army Knife’ for the Steelers

Historically, the Pittsburgh Steelers have reaped the benefits of multi-purpose performers who, first and foremost, were solid, all-around football players.

By rcsprouljr
Aug 7, 2018, 7:49am EDT

They were heartbreaking bookends. The 1994 season ended with a last-second, potentially lead-changing pass batted away, sending the Chargers to the Super Bowl and the Steelers packing. September 3, 1995 was the following season’s opening day, and in that first game, our one true superstar went down with a season ending injury. Rod (Woodson) was no longer God, unless God uses crutches. We had come so close the season before, and now as the new season dawned the lights seemed to dim on our hopes.

That season also ended in heartache, as a decidedly non-superstar defensive back Larry Brown intercepted two Neil O’Donnell passes before hoisting the Lombardi. But at least we got there. Say what you will — losing the Super Bowl is better than not playing in the Super Bowl.

A key part of the reason we ended up playing for the trophy was the selflessness and giftedness of one Carnell Lake. When Woodson went down, Lake stepped up, literally, taking over Rod’s cornerback position. It’s an astounding feat made all the more so by the fact that Lake played linebacker at UCLA. How is it possible for one player to be good enough to excel in the NFL not at one position, but two? In an era of mass specialization, sub-packages and x-y-z receivers, where draft prospects are judged on whether they are a 2-down guy or a 3-down guy, how could it be that “next up” was a guy already manning another part of the field? With all due respect to the standard being the standard, Lake was no Woodson that season — but he was an outstanding cornerback.

I think the answer is simple enough. Before he was a linebacker, a safety or a cornerback, Lake was a football player. He understood the game, and had the tools to run fast, hit hard and react instantly.

Lake was neither the first nor the last to fill sundry roles for the Steelers. For you fans still wet behind the ears, when you watch highlights from the glory days, know that the guy who caught that touchdown pass in Super Bowl IX is Larry Brown, the same guy who played Left Tackle in our next three Super Bowls. And of course, in that same Super Bowl XXX loss, one of O’Donnell’s most dangerous targets was none other than Kordell Stewart/Slash. That guy, who never got the credit he was due as a quarterback, lined up in various spots that season — split wide, under center, in the backfield — even punting once. Kordell Stewart was good at playing football.

The temptation is to assume that, because a player excels in doing more than one thing, he therefore doesn’t do any one thing particularly well. Thus Jaylen Samuels found himself the subject of much debate after the draft. Some skeptics argued there was a reason he was available on Day 3. Some optimists began daydreaming of never-ending trickeration.

The truth, as is often the case, is likely somewhere in the middle. What makes a man able to play different positions usually is the fruit of understanding the game, being able to visualize the moving parts on the playing field, and knowing how to manipulate them to your advantage. If blazing speed were all it took, DHB would be in the Pro Bowl, AB on special teams and Chris Rainey still on the roster. If brute strength were the key, then Daniel McCullers would be manning our middle. “Understanding the game” isn’t merely being able to pass an exam — it’s real-time translation of tactical advantages.

I’ve been persuaded for years that Todd Haley had an inordinate love for the element of surprise. How many times have we seen Ben drop deep on third and short and we pull our hair out — even if from time to time we rejoiced over a big play? And then there’s the deep sweep right, which was about as successful as the Colts’ weird punt formation. It’s not the tricks and the gimmicks that make the difference, but the tools. Here’s hoping Jaylen Samuels comes through with multiple sharp edges, twists and turns galore, and — come February — a tool for popping a cork.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/8/7/17640364/jaylen-samuels-could-be-the-latest-swiss-army-knife-for-the-steelers-carnell-lake-versatile-nfl-news

RuthlessBurgher
12-18-2018, 11:45 AM
Bump...nice to see the Jaylen Samuels draft pick paying off for us in the biggest win of our season so far. :tt2:tt1

rpmpit
12-18-2018, 01:28 PM
Bump...nice to see the Jaylen Samuels draft pick paying off for us in the biggest win of our season so far. :tt2:tt1

:tt2:tt1:tt2:tt1

SteelerOfDeVille
12-18-2018, 02:00 PM
FWIW, Samuels was also my fav pick... Granted, I have a bias to RBs (who I think are undervalued in today's NFL) - but, this kid has a solid skillset and IF Bell misses time (which he could for a number of reasons), this kid could handle all his duties on passing downs.... it's a good fit
kudos to ruth for starting the thread (and me for also haivng his as my fav - heh). aren't we awesome. :-P

seriously, at the time i thought it was a pick to make Bell expendable by coupling Samuels with Conner to get a Bell

Oviedo
12-18-2018, 04:32 PM

Got to agree. He was a difference maker but the plays were also innovative. Stuff I can't recall seeing all year.

SidSmythe
12-18-2018, 04:36 PM
My Favorite Pick at the Time was RUDOLPH and WASHINGTON - their deep ball connection was intriguing.
As the Season goes on I'd have to say I like the entire draft but after the preseason I was most intrigued by our UDFA - O.A. and M.T.

RuthlessBurgher
12-18-2018, 05:35 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Asked about confidence in Jaylen Samuels to give him 19 carries vs. the Patriots, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin responded, ‘Who says I had confidence in him?' A rookie in first home start had much to learn but produced.

5m

Sugar
12-18-2018, 06:38 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Asked about confidence in Jaylen Samuels to give him 19 carries vs. the Patriots, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin responded, ‘Who says I had confidence in him?' A rookie in first home start had much to learn but produced.

5m

I appreciated that quote, especially the way he said it. It's not like Samuels had a great track record to inspire confidence, but he now has something real to build from.