PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Brown is mentoring Browns rookie Calloway

feltdizz
05-03-2018, 01:48 PM
Gotta love AB.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23394213/pittsburgh-steelers-wr-antonio-brown-helping-mentor-cleveland-browns-rookie-antonio-callaway

williar
05-03-2018, 09:17 PM
That's interesting because I've never heard anything about him mentoring any young receivers on the Steelers! Not saying that he hasn't...

Steel Maniac
05-03-2018, 10:34 PM
Why is he doing this?

Buzz
05-03-2018, 11:10 PM
Let Josh Gordon mentor Calloway.

J/k

Captain Lemming
05-04-2018, 12:39 AM
Why is he doing this?

Two reasons:

1. Because he gets bored crushing the Browns so easily every year.
2. He is tired of his name being associated with losers

squidkid
05-04-2018, 01:34 AM
That's interesting because I've never heard anything about him mentoring any young receivers on the Steelers! Not saying that he hasn't...

i also heard he didnt go to the hospital and fell asleep in meetings

Slapstick
05-04-2018, 09:21 AM
So, he worked with this player from his hometown prior to the draft...is he supposed to cut off all contact with him now that the Browns drafted him?

That's silly...this dude clearly needed help getting his life together...if AB provided such help and this guy can now be a productive citizen, then Steeler fans should be proud...

birtikidis
05-04-2018, 09:49 AM
no?
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/07/31/from-young-money-to-big-brother-steelers-wr-antonio-brown-in-leading-role.html

feltdizz
05-04-2018, 09:58 AM
The reason AB is doing this is because the NFL is like the WWE. Players don't hate each other off the field or view players from other teams as enemies.
AB is from Miami, this guy is from Miami, they both had rough childhoods. AB wants to see this guy beat the odds and become successful in the NFL. Plenty of players from other teams work out together in the off season.

but this is mentoring so it could go beyond training. Could be money management, getting Calloway to cut off bad influences, teaching him how to eat properly, how to give back to the community, etc...

I'm ashamed to say I'm not surprised some of you don't understand this. smh

williar
05-04-2018, 09:02 PM
I love AB, the best WR in the league IMO. My feelings are more personal - as in, helping out a player on a division rival, giving away trade secrets? I know stuff like this is the new normal in today's NFL, everybody loves everybody. As a fan, I would have loved to have heard that AB is mentoring James Washington or Eli Rogers, etc. Not someone from your division rival :(

feltdizz
05-04-2018, 09:19 PM
Trade secrets? You think he is giving away our plays and signals?

Do you realize part of the reason Haden signed with us so quick was because he and AB are good friends?

Stop being short sighted and use a little common sense.

Captain Lemming
05-04-2018, 09:32 PM
Gotta love AB.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23394213/pittsburgh-steelers-wr-antonio-brown-helping-mentor-cleveland-browns-rookie-antonio-callaway

When I challenged you to find a player who mentored more than JH.........;;THIS is NOT what I was expecting. :)

RuthlessBurgher
05-04-2018, 09:56 PM
I love AB, the best WR in the league IMO. My feelings are more personal - as in, helping out a player on a division rival, giving away trade secrets? I know stuff like this is the new normal in today's NFL, everybody loves everybody. As a fan, I would have loved to have heard that AB is mentoring James Washington or Eli Rogers, etc. Not someone from your division rival :(

AB helped this kid from his hometown in the weeks leading up to the draft, and was at Calloway's draft party when he found out that he was going to Cleveland. During this time, no one knew Antonio Calloway would be drafted by the Browns, James Washington would be drafted by the Steelers, and Eli Rogers is still an unrestricted free agent without a team because he is not able to pass a physical right now after off-season surgery.

Steel Maniac
05-05-2018, 01:04 AM
I do t want to mentor division rivals. I don’t like it under any circumstances.

Slapstick
05-05-2018, 08:01 AM
Good Lord!

Do you actually believe that Brown was like, “Oh look, the Browns drafted a wide receiver. I shall now ‘mentor’ him.”

For God’s sake, read the article!

This is a kid from AB’s hometown who reached out to him prior to the drafting process. This is a kid who needed help.

AB was at his home on draft day. The fact that the Browns picked him is inconsequential. The only “trade secrets” AB gave away were his own...the same trade secrets he gave to JuJu and the same ones he’ll show James Washington.

The overreactions and misconceptions are priceless :lol::lol::lol:

williar
05-05-2018, 12:37 PM
Trade secrets? You think he is giving away our plays and signals?

Do you realize part of the reason Haden signed with us so quick was because he and AB are good friends?

Stop being short sighted and use a little common sense. I'm just a fan being a fan. We can be a bit reactionary sometimes, as fans. I'm sure you can understand that too. So how about YOU use a little common sense! :rolleyes:

williar
05-05-2018, 12:41 PM
Good Lord!

Do you actually believe that Brown was like, “Oh look, the Browns drafted a wide receiver. I shall now ‘mentor’ him.”

For God’s sake, read the article!

This is a kid from AB’s hometown who reached out to him prior to the drafting process. This is a kid who needed help.

AB was at his home on draft day. The fact that the Browns picked him is inconsequential. The only “trade secrets” AB gave away were his own...the same trade secrets he gave to JuJu and the same ones he’ll show James Washington.

The overreactions and misconceptions are priceless :lol::lol::lol: Oh, but of course, you have never overreacted... The master of composure, and ALWAYS the voice of reason, correct?? Until somebody disagrees with you, than we're all stupid...

Slapstick
05-05-2018, 01:56 PM
Oh, but of course, you have never overreacted... The master of composure, and ALWAYS the voice of reason, correct?? Until somebody disagrees with you, than we're all stupid...

You said that, not me...I don’t name call...

Steel Maniac
05-06-2018, 01:36 PM
Oh, but of course, you have never overreacted... The master of composure, and ALWAYS the voice of reason, correct?? Until somebody disagrees with you, than we're all stupid...

Now that he's a Brown, I don't want AB helping him anymore. All that was fine before hand; but he's a Brown now. Now, the lines have been drawn and he can go to the Larry Fitzgerald's camp or something to get pointers. I don't want to help anyone in my division regardless of the circumstances.

Slapstick
05-06-2018, 02:02 PM
That’s a fair attitude to have now that Calloway is a Cleveland Brown. AB will do whatever he thinks is right, I’m sure...

Northern_Blitz
05-06-2018, 03:57 PM
Didn't AB used to train with Ochocinco? I seem to remember him getting praise from 85 and TO in his first off season.

Pro athletes know that they could easily be on a different team tomorrow.

RuthlessBurgher
06-01-2018, 11:36 AM
Young Steelers receivers paint picture of interactions with All-Pro Antonio Brown

Going from being the man in college to playing alongside an All-Pro can be intimidating. Just ask Quadree Henderson.

By Jeff Hartman

May 31, 2018, 3:44pm EDT

I can’t speak for you reading this article, but there has always been a part of me who would love to be a water boy for the Pittsburgh Steelers. You may laugh at such a suggestion and wonder why, but I would love to just be around the players. Inside the huddle asking guys if they need some hydration, on the sideline to listen to the jokes and coaching being done and ultimately to get an inside perspective on life within the Steelers.

The Steelers are one of the more closed off organizations in the NFL, and I always enjoy any type of inside look at the organization we all follow so closely. Like the picture Sean Gentille of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette paints about Quadree Henderson’s interactions with All-Pro Antonio Brown on the sideline.

You have to assume the transition from “the man” in college to being a diminutive rookie in the NFL has to be an intimidating demotion, and this certainly tale certainly supports such an assumption.

First, the backstory:

Henderson was on the sideline looking for a drink. In the back, he saw a few bottles of Essentia. It’s got a pH of 9.5! That makes it much better at hydrating than simple peasant water, or something! It soothes acid reflux and increases oxygen levels, or whatever! Try a six-pack, on sale at Target for the low price of $9.99!

In any case, Henderson scoped out the black-and-red bottle and realized that things worked a little differently on the other side of the South Side practice facility.

Which then resulted in the following:

“I said, ‘Man, y’all pouring Essentia in the coolers?’ And the trainer said, ‘No, that’s A.B.’s.’ And [Brown] heard me. I said to him, ‘Man, we didn’t have this at Pitt.’ And then he just kinda laughed. He said ‘You went to Pitt?’ I said, ‘Yeah.’ He said, ‘What number were you?’ I said, ‘No. 10.’

“He said, ‘Oh, you a dawg. Did you get drafted?’ I said, ‘Naw, I didn’t get drafted.’ ”

“He said, ‘Aw, that’s crazy. You shoulda got drafted. You a dawg. I seen you returning them kicks and making big plays.’ I let him know that whenever he gets some work in the indoor [facility], I’m coming with him.”

To think how far removed Brown is of the team’s transactions might be the most comical of the entire story. Not knowing who Henderson was, whether he was drafted or that they shared a facility is pretty funny to me. But other young receivers have talked openly about how interactions with Brown are something they cherish.

“[Interactions with Brown have] been special because he’s a high-caliber guy. So we’re like, ‘This guy is really talking to me right now?’ ” James Washington said. “Everything he tells me, every piece of advice he gives me, I’m all ears. I’m trying to take every moment. If he’s on the field and I’m not in, I’m watching him, trying to learn his releases and [absorb] everything.”

“Everything he does, the man’s a Pro Bowler. As far as a young receiver, you wanna just soak up everything he says, listen to everything he says. Why does he run that? I’ll ask him some questions, and he’ll tell me,” Trey Griffey said. “Great guy to be around. Great team player. Helps out the receivers. He’s everything you want.”

“He’s the best receiver in the game, to me.” Henderson added. “Somebody that went in the sixth round, somebody that was slept on, you see all the hard work and dedication he put in over the past couple years to become one of the best receivers of all time. We’re similar height, similar speed. He just put in all the extra work after hours.”

All receivers, probably on other NFL teams, keep a close eye on Brown, and for good reason. The man is the best in the business for a reason, and these young Steelers receivers are soaking in every drop of wisdom which is offered.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/5/31/17414058/young-steelers-receivers-paint-picture-of-interactions-with-all-pro-antonio-brown-quadree-henderson

SanAntonioSteelerFan
06-01-2018, 12:44 PM
Young Steelers receivers paint picture of interactions with All-Pro Antonio Brown

Going from being the man in college to playing alongside an All-Pro can be intimidating. Just ask Quadree Henderson.

By Jeff Hartman

May 31, 2018, 3:44pm EDT

I can’t speak for you reading this article ...

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/5/31/17414058/young-steelers-receivers-paint-picture-of-interactions-with-all-pro-antonio-brown-quadree-henderson

Wow, what a great story ... thank you for posting, Ruth!