PDA

View Full Version : 2018 NFL Draft Grades: Mel Kiper rips Steelers draft, considered worst in AFC North

NorthCoast
05-02-2018, 08:35 PM
This is the rare class in which I liked every pick except the first one. Safety Terrell Edmunds was way down my board, and he’s a risk at No. 28 overall. There were a lot of good safeties on the board. Justin Reid? Jessie Bates III? I can see why the Steelers like Edmunds’ traits, but his tape didn’t match his athleticism.
After that pick, my only question for the Steelers is: where’s the linebacker? They didn’t find a replacement for Ryan Shazier (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/245364/ryan-shazier) inside, and they didn’t even take a flier on an edge player on Day 3.
Oklahoma State tandem Mason Rudolph (pick 76) and James Washington (60) were so good together that Pittsburgh decided to bring them both along. And if the Steelers found the eventual replacements for Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1630/ben-roethlisberger) and Martavis Bryant (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/245352/martavis-bryant), this draft will be viewed much differently. But Rudolph isn’t without risk -- he’s a little stiff, but he throws a beautiful deep ball. Offensive tackle Chukwuma Okorafor (92) started 39 games at both tackle spots for Western Michigan. H-back Jaylen Samuels (165) is one of the most versatile offensive players in the entire class. He’s only 5-11, but he had 201 catches in his career.
So, again, the first-round risk was too high for me, and the absence of a linebacker means I have to downgrade this class.
Grade: C+
So, Kiper wasn’t too fond of the Steelers’ draft class. Don’t worry, not many were all that impressed. However, he also gave the Steelers the lowest mark of any team in the division. Check out the divisional grades dished out:
Kiper’s AFC North Grades:
Baltimore Ravens (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/baltimore-ravens): B+
Cincinnati Bengals (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/cincinnati-bengals): B
Cleveland Browns (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/cleveland-browns): B-
Pittsburgh Steelers: C+
While some might mumble something not-so-nice about Kiper under their breath while reading these, they should remember they mean absolutely nothing. As dumb as weekly Power Rankings are, immediate reaction NFL draft grades (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-draft-grades) might take the cake.
The Browns have won a ridiculous number of drafts over the past few years, and yet they don’t win where it matters the most — the field. I’ll take winning in the fall over winning in the spring, but that’s just me.

<font size="4"><span style="color:#ffd700;">
https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/4/30/17299132/2018-nfl-draft-grades-mel-kiper-rips-steelers-draft-worst-in-afc-north-bengals-ravens-browns-news

birtikidis
05-02-2018, 09:00 PM
Kiper would tell teams to reach in every round based on his perceived needs. He doesn't sit in any coaches meetings nor does he have any idea how the teams plan to use said players. Remember when he said that Ryan Leaf would be a good pro?

SteelBucks
05-02-2018, 11:16 PM
I stopped watching the draft on ESPN years ago because of Kiper. I’d rather listen to Mayock on NFLN. Much better player evaluation and insight.

pittpete
05-02-2018, 11:50 PM
We did have the 28th pick:confused:

Oviedo
05-03-2018, 02:25 AM
Wow. What a surprise. He gave the Ravens top grade

Guy is a douche homer for the Ravens.

The Man of Steel
05-03-2018, 06:32 AM
Who in the hell is Mel Kiper?

Steelwolf
05-03-2018, 07:46 AM
Guess we will see how it shakes out, still hopeful for FA signing

feltdizz
05-03-2018, 07:56 AM
Mel? Kiper? “Jimmy Clausen will be a star in the NFL or I will retire in 8 years”That Mel Kiper?

Sword
05-03-2018, 09:07 AM
Kiper is part of Fake News...who the hell cares about the douch.....

Slapstick
05-03-2018, 09:40 AM
As the author points out, it is better to win in fall and winter than it is to win in spring and summer...

RuthlessBurgher
05-03-2018, 10:15 AM
Who in the hell is Mel Kiper?

Thanks, Bill Tobin.

Iron City Inc.
05-03-2018, 02:18 PM
Ronnie Harrison selected 93rd overall. Almost all the "so called experts" had him as a late 1 early 2 prospect. So Edmunds kind of the opposite many so called had him graded later 3rd round and he goes late 1. Size speed guys always get drafted sooner.
That said Kiper or anyone else has their opinion but now it's time to see how the guy plays. Does he play like a 1?
Lucky enough to meet n talk with Mayock at Latrobe few years back so its NFL Network for me on draft day.

Slapstick
05-03-2018, 02:42 PM
This says it all:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/5/3/17311118/lessons-learned-from-the-steelers-2018-big-board-and-the-actual-nfl-draft-terrell-edmunds

Kiper and Colbert could both be right...based upon the information available to them...

Shawn
05-03-2018, 04:53 PM
Honestly, I wasn't that fond of it either. But, I like the Rudolph pick and the Samuels pick...based on value and how I believe Samuels opens up a couple roster spots for us. The Edmunds pick reminds me much of the Artie Burns pick last year. Athletic dude that appeared by most scouts to be a reach. But, hey this draft may turn out to make the FO look like geniuses. I will say only Rudolph and Samuels were guys that were on my radar.

fordfixer
05-03-2018, 04:56 PM
Mel? Kiper? “Jimmy Clausen will be a star in the NFL or I will retire in 8 years”That Mel Kiper?
How many years ago was that?

NorthCoast
05-03-2018, 06:59 PM
You guys crack me up..... and yes, MK is a talking head hired to fill vast air time during the off season.... never see him afterward.

Shawn
05-03-2018, 07:06 PM
MK is a moron. That's what I know.

Chadman
05-03-2018, 07:12 PM
If you watch bits of Edmunds, Harrison, Marcus Allen, Jordan Whitehead, Jessie Bates....Edmunds stacks up or looks better than all of them. And Allen going in the 5th doesn’t show up much worse than any of them either. It was a good Safety class. Steelers got 2 good ones.

feltdizz
05-04-2018, 10:14 AM
How many years ago was that?

8 years..lol

someone pointed it out online and said this should be his last year.

of course it won't but it highlights how sensational this guy is when it comes to the draft. He is a homer for underdog QB's. Pretty sure agents are paying him to hype average QB's up.

SteelerOfDeVille
05-04-2018, 11:41 AM
This says it all:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2018/5/3/17311118/lessons-learned-from-the-steelers-2018-big-board-and-the-actual-nfl-draft-terrell-edmunds

Kiper and Colbert could both be right...based upon the information available to them...
Fantastic read... very insightful

pittpete
05-04-2018, 11:54 AM
Yes, excellent article

squidkid
05-04-2018, 01:10 PM
meh, if kiper would have given us an A, he all of a sudden would be credible.........

Northern_Blitz
05-04-2018, 01:32 PM
meh, if kiper would have given us an A, he all of a sudden would be credible.........

You think? I don't think many people put much faith in draft grades. Even the people who give them usually spend a few paragraphs talking about how grading a draft immediately after it happens is a meaningless exercise.

feltdizz
05-04-2018, 01:42 PM

I'm sure he has given us A's before..

most of us don't like him.

Most folks on here prop up McShay when it comes to draft analysis.

I don't remember one person ever using Kiper as a credible source..

except for folks who swear a mid round QB is the next franchise QB.

feltdizz
05-04-2018, 01:43 PM
You think? I don't think many people put much faith in draft grades. Even the people who give them usually spend a few paragraphs talking about how grading a draft immediately after it happens is a meaningless exercise.

Most folks give a grad and we never reference it or hear about it once camp starts.

RuthlessBurgher
05-04-2018, 01:56 PM
I'm sure he has given us A's before..

most of us don't like him.

Most folks on here prop up McShay when it comes to draft analysis.

I don't remember one person ever using Kiper as a credible source..

except for folks who swear a mid round QB is the next franchise QB.

Kiper and McShay both suck. Mike Mayock is a quality source when it comes to draft information. And not just because Mayock himself was drafted by the Steelers once upon a time.

feltdizz
05-04-2018, 02:10 PM
Kiper and McShay both suck. Mike Mayock is a quality source when it comes to draft information. And not just because Mayock himself was drafted by the Steelers once upon a time.

Maybe that's the one, I can't keep track. I knew the last name starts with an M.

Starlifter
05-04-2018, 02:20 PM
If MK was great at evaluating talent - a team would have snagged him years ago.

SidSmythe
05-05-2018, 02:07 PM
I stopped watching the draft on ESPN years ago because of Kiper. I’d rather listen to Mayock on NFLN. Much better player evaluation and insight.

Same with me.
You can't compare the two.
Mel Kiper is nothing more than an puppet/front man considered an "expert"

feltdizz
05-05-2018, 05:45 PM
One could say the other 3 teams should have better drafts because they drafted earlier.

Shoe
05-05-2018, 06:26 PM
I get the grade, but it could be argued that a team with as big a perceived need as we have (LB) and not take a guy anyway, shows real "drafting" took place here. They could've taken the next rated guy on their LB boards, but instead took guys who rated higher.

In that light, you could argue that they did a great job drafting. The Edmunds pick will determine it all, because they did have their pick of the litter (after the FSU kid was taken).

Captain Lemming
05-05-2018, 06:47 PM
If MK was great at evaluating talent - a team would have snagged him years ago.

While I am no fan of Kiper, I've heard this before and it is a weak argument.
My guess is that taking a job as a scout for a team would be a pay cut.

He might miss alot but gotta give props for his creating a lucrative career out of a fan hobby.

NorthCoast
05-06-2018, 04:41 PM
While I am no fan of Kiper, I've heard this before and it is a weak argument.
My guess is that taking a job as a scout for a team would be a pay cut.

He might miss alot but gotta give props for his creating a lucrative career out of a fan hobby.Yep. Kiper parlayed himself into a must watch on draft day.... (for some unknowledgeable fans).