PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Release Wilcox

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-30-2018, 04:18 PM
On twitter

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Just read that too. With Edmunds and Allen the writing was definitely on the wall.

Cap savings: $3.125M
Dead money: $675K

This was the easiest call in the aftermath of the draft.

Northern_Blitz
04-30-2018, 05:17 PM
Just read that too. With Edmunds and Allen the writing was definitely on the wall.

Cap savings: $3.125M
Dead money: $675K

This was the easiest call in the aftermath of the draft.

Yep.

I think that Wilcox could have contributed this year, but the players we drafted + his cap hit made this an easy decision.

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2018, 07:23 PM
Releasing Wilcox and trading Bryant opened up another $5M in cap room.

pittpete
04-30-2018, 07:29 PM
Sensabaugh next....

SteelBucks
04-30-2018, 08:53 PM
That didn’t take long....

Steel Maniac
04-30-2018, 09:00 PM
Addition by subtraction ...

pittpete
04-30-2018, 11:04 PM
Team Cap Space: $6,052,856

Cutting Sensabaugh frees up another $1.4

SanAntonioSteelerFan
05-01-2018, 01:08 AM
Team Cap Space: $6,052,856

All that $$ ... FA ILB?

pittpete
05-01-2018, 01:42 AM
Who?
Who are we signing to backup Bostic and Williams?

Northern_Blitz
05-01-2018, 04:52 AM
All that $$ ... FA ILB?

Does anyone know how much usually goes to the rookie class?

I think I've read that Colbert like to keep $2-3 M for the season. That plus the draft class makes me think that we're not bringing anyone else in. But, I would have said that same thing last year before Haden.

Slapstick
05-01-2018, 06:15 AM
Yeah, between the rookie class and having a little space to maneuver during the season, that cap space is eaten up...

You may be able to afford Navorro Bowman, for example...

Furious
05-01-2018, 09:34 AM
Yeah, between the rookie class and having a little space to maneuver during the season, that cap space is eaten up...

You may be able to afford Navorro Bowman, for example...

We're bringing in Dez Bryant. lol

Steel Maniac
05-01-2018, 09:44 AM

I think I've read that Colbert like to keep $2-3 M for the season. That plus the draft class makes me think that we're not bringing anyone else in. But, I would have said that same thing last year before Haden.

I heard it was 5 mil

Steel Maniac
05-01-2018, 09:45 AM
We need to bring in Navarro Bowman. His leadership and toughness are needed on this defense. A two year contract should do it

phillyesq
05-01-2018, 10:08 AM

The Steelers will need money for the draft class, the practice squad (about $800k) and a few million during the season. Anytime somebody goes on IR, the Steelers need to add a replacement and that takes cap space. It doesn't impact offseason cap space, when only the top 51 salaries count, but it does impact it during the season.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
05-01-2018, 10:14 AM
I think Bowman Is looking for cash. I think what fits best is Gerald Hodges to back up Mack. I Think he is good fit there. Vet min deal. I would feel pretty good about ILB for '18 then if there's an injury.

Mathew Thomas is a guy to keep your eyes on. His tape is strong. Highly recruited. Hot test in college & Ineligible issues knocked him off radar. Eliminate that non sense & I would say his tape shows 2nd round grade. Seems very motivated to prove he can be who everyone thought he was. Gets his head screwed on he's starting material.

Slapstick
05-01-2018, 10:38 AM
Thomas is another guy with a SPARQ score that is unreal...

Hopefully, Vince can take him under his wing and show him what needs to be done to go from draft afterthought (almost...VW was a 6th round pick) to a credible starter...

Steel Maniac
05-01-2018, 10:56 AM
At some point, you get what you pay for; the intangibles that Bowman can bring are numerous. Hodges can’t compare in that department. If Bowman wants some cash, he’s worth it to us. Currently, who brings toughness to our lb corps right now? There’s your answer. Who’s gonna meet that runningback in hole and stop him cold?

Everyone is going to emulate what the jags did to us. Run right at us. And with no major addition to our defense, what do you think the browns are going to do with Hyde and Chubb? Who’s going to meet and stop them in the hole?

RuthlessBurgher
05-01-2018, 11:08 AM
Thomas is another guy with a SPARQ score that is unreal...

Hopefully, Vince can take him under his wing and show him what needs to be done to go from draft afterthought (almost...VW was a 6th round pick) to a credible starter...

At the combine, 4 guys tied for the best vertical jump (41.5") among all prospects in Indy this year. Two of those four players were our 1st round pick Terrell Edmunds and our UDFA LB Matthew Thomas.

At the combine, 4th overall pick Denzel Ward had the best broad jump overall (136"), and our 1st round pick Terrell Edmunds was in the 3 way tie for second place at (134"), then a couple of first round picks Derwin James and D.J. Moore had 132" jump, and finally a 3 way tie at 131" including out UDFA LB Matthew Thomas.

Those jumps are a good measure of athletic explosiveness...it looks like Olsavsky got himself a heck of a piece of clay to try to mold as a backup Mack ILB.

RuthlessBurgher
05-01-2018, 11:08 AM
At some point, you get what you pay for; the intangibles that Bowman can bring are numerous. Hodges can’t compare in that department. If Bowman wants some cash, he’s worth it to us. Currently, who brings toughness to our lb corps right now? There’s your answer. Who’s gonna meet that runningback in hole and stop him cold?

Everyone is going to emulate what the jags did to us. Run right at us. And with no major addition to our defense, what do you think the browns are going to do with Hyde and Chubb? Who’s going to meet and stop them in the hole?

Vince and Bostic.

Steel Maniac
05-01-2018, 11:10 AM
At the combine, 4 guys tied for the best vertical jump (41.5") among all prospects in Indy this year. Two of those four players were our 1st round pick Terrell Edmunds and our UDFA LB Matthew Thomas.

At the combine, 4th overall pick Denzel Ward had the best broad jump overall (136"), and our 1st round pick Terrell Edmunds was in the 3 way tie for second place at (134"), then a couple of first round picks Derwin James and D.J. Moore had 132" jump, and finally a 3 way tie at 131" including out UDFA LB Matthew Thomas.

Those jumps are a good measure of athletic explosiveness...it looks like Olsavsky got himself a heck of a piece of clay to try to mold as a backup Mack ILB.

He has all the tools; if he has the above the neck smarts, then he’ll be that guy.... in the 2019 season.

Slapstick
05-01-2018, 11:16 AM
He has all the tools; if he has the above the neck smarts, then he’ll be that guy.... in the 2019 season.

...just like any other draftee in 2018...

Steel Maniac
05-01-2018, 05:58 PM
Vince and Bostic.

When you say Vince, I cringed. Vince is just "a guy". Nothing impressive about Vince to me.

Slapstick
05-01-2018, 06:00 PM
Just a “guy” with 100+ tackles, 8 sacks, and an INT off of Tom Brady...

Steel Maniac
05-01-2018, 08:16 PM
Vince and Bostic.

Ruth, you feel good about that? LOL

RuthlessBurgher
05-01-2018, 09:40 PM
Ruth, you feel good about that? LOL

On early downs against the run, yeah, a healthy Bostic and Vince will be able to get the job done. And for nickel/dime passing situations, we've added some quality hybrid SS/ILB options to fill in. No one player (aside from Roquan Smith, perhaps), was going to fill the Shazier role, so we gave ourselves multiple situational options instead.

Steel Maniac
05-02-2018, 08:33 AM
Bostic is of course our “X” factor; here’s hoping he’s everything we need him to be. VW?..uh.. don’t see it.

Needless to say they needed to sign Edmunds yesterday and have him bunking in with Butler and his family ASAP. Lol