PDA

View Full Version : Extension?

Northern_Blitz
04-29-2018, 06:27 AM
Do you think that we extend Ben?

I'm not sure we draft Rudolph with the idea that he sits for 3-4 years of his first contract. If he's going to be the next starter, I think that we want more than 1 year to evaluate whether to resign him. It also makes me wonder if the team believes Ben's 3 year comment.

Then if we don't extend Ben, do you think that there is a chance that we trade him next year? I don't think it's what I'd do, but it might be the best way forward from an asset management standpoint. I think that this draft shows that we're not necessarily in a win now mode. If that's the case, trading Ben next season might make some sense. There we lose Ben (and probably Bell), but a Ben trade probably gives us some good picks that we can use to elevate the rest of the team and try to compete with a new generation of players.

Ernie
04-29-2018, 06:59 AM
I don't think Ben's getting traded. He wants to retire a Steeler. Lookin at his "3 year comments", I think he fully intends to play 3 more at this point. There are a number of factors that may affect that #... including winning a SB or suffering a major injury (knee, concussion, etc). Ultimately, I think its going to end on Ben's terms. I think Rudolph sitting a year or two (if it comes to that) is going to be great for his development.

Slapstick
04-29-2018, 09:28 AM
I think Ben finishes out his contract. That makes 2019 his last season. He would be 38 years old prior to the 2020 season.

phillyesq
04-29-2018, 09:52 AM
I don't think drafting Rudolph impacts what the Steelers do with Ben at all. If Ben wants to continue playing and is able to do so, he will easily play another 3 years in Pittsburgh. If you get 3 years down the road and Rudolph is ready, maybe Ben retires. Or maybe he plays a few more years and you trade Rudolph for picks to draft the next successor.

Today, we know nothing about how Rudolph will pan out. We do know what we have in Ben. Keep him as long as he wants to stay and then make a decision down the road when you have more information.

D Rock
04-29-2018, 12:19 PM
If Rudolph develops, let Ben walk at the end of his current contract. Then you are set up to make a run with a cheap QB when a bunch of other big contracts are looming as other players enter their prime.

It's going to have to happen that way to keep moving forward with an annually competitive team. Dollars and focus has to shift around to different positions in different years.

Steel Maniac
04-29-2018, 01:26 PM
Rudolph & Washington already have a connection/ chemistry. When they hit camp , they will obviously show our coaches what they’ve already formed together. What spins off their chemistry towards the other wrs I think/ hope will be positive. With that said, I’m thinking our coaches by the end of the year will have a good grasp of what Rudolph can really be. I’m optimistic about him. I came into the draftfeeling that mayfield and Rudolph were two QBs who will pan out. I’m elated we have him but sad the Browns were smart in taking Mayfield. Lol

But we really won’t know anything further until after this next season after we see how Rudolph has developed

8467thekraken
04-29-2018, 07:18 PM
Maybe wait until after 2019 preseason is finished. If neither Dobbs or Rudolph are showing the ability to start in 2020, then extend Ben.