PDA

View Full Version : People Who Lost Their Job With The Steelers...

Slapstick
04-28-2018, 10:27 PM
...or likely will very shortly:

Martavis Bryant (traded of course)
JJ Wilcox
Dan McCullers
Fitzgerald Toussaint
Landry Jones (or Joshua Dobbs)

I also think that Coty Sensabaugh will be hitting the road...but that isn’t because of anything the Steelers did in the draft...

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2018, 10:54 PM
Jaylen Samuels could be a backup at 3 different positions (behind Bell and Conner at RB, behind Nix at FB, and behind McDonald and James at TE), plus he could add special teams value as well. Because this could save a couple of roster spots, we should be able to roster Ben, Jones, Dobbs, and Rudolph for this year.

SteelBucks
04-28-2018, 11:28 PM
I’d hate to carry four QB’s. I’m thinking Dobbs is the odd man out.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-28-2018, 11:36 PM
there is an absolute zero chance the steelers go into the season with their 3rd TE being a rookie who is 6 feet tall and weighs 225 lbs

they will carry their normal 3 guys who actually play that position

pittpete
04-28-2018, 11:37 PM
You know what you have with Jones.
He's a career backup and if cut, frees up $1.9 million.
Let's face reality that if Ben goes down for a lengthy amount of time we aren't winning anything with Landry.Season over.
Can't cut Dobs after 1 year unless he totally bombs out in the preseason.
Dobbs is smart, athletic and should have no problem challenging Jones for Ben's backup in 2018.
We need to be patient.
Only time will tell.

Oviedo
04-29-2018, 05:48 AM
You know what you have with Jones.
He's a career backup and if cut, frees up $1.9 million.
Let's face reality that if Ben goes down for a lengthy amount of time we aren't winning anything with Landry.Season over.
Can't cut Dobs after 1 year unless he totally bombs out in the preseason.
Dobbs is smart, athletic and should have no problem challenging Jones for Ben's backup in 2018.
We need to be patient.
Only time will tell.

I agree. Jones served his purpose. Go with the young guys.

feltdizz
04-29-2018, 09:21 AM
I agree. Jones served his purpose. Go with the young guys.

yep. I can’t them cutting Dobbs. I think he is too athletic and has too much upside to move on from him. I think Landry is the odd man out.

One criticism I read about Rudolph was that he is a Beta Male. Said he will struggle to lead a team and control the huddle. I think that’s why he was rated as a 3rd rounder by most scouts. It will be interesting to see if he is the real deal this preseason.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-29-2018, 09:29 AM
I'm thinking Dobbs is the odd man out, but, they'll try to PS him late. But, if they lose him, so be it.
They let Landry play his last year under contract, and in 2019 Dobbs moves up to #3 (off the PS) and Rudolph becomes #2...

phillyesq
04-29-2018, 09:43 AM
This is a team that is in "win now" mode. I'd be shocked if they go into the season with a third round rookie and Dobbs. I understand the criticism of Landry Jones - I'm certainly not a huge fan - but he is far better than Dobbs right now. If Dobbs reaches his ceiling, he might become a more athletic Landry Jones.

If the Steelers need somebody to fill in for a few games, especially early in the year, Landry is probably still the best option right now. I'm optimistic about Rudolph, but he is probably best served as the #3 this year.

Ghost
04-29-2018, 03:34 PM
I’m with Phill here. Say Ben goes down for just a game or two (even 3). You have to have Landry as he gives you the best chance to win a game. If it’s not serious then the season isn’t lost with short term Landry. Don’t think the other 2 give the Steelers a chance.

If it’s a season ending injury to Ben it really doesn’t matter who they kept.

Slapstick
04-29-2018, 03:38 PM
If Rudolph wins the #2 job in camp, then you go with him over Landry, IMO, rookie or no...

Eddie Spaghetti
04-29-2018, 03:46 PM
Dobbs is history unless they try to get him to the PS

but of course no one here will admit it was a wasted pick

pittpete
04-29-2018, 03:50 PM
Its not a wasted pick until he's cut.
Just like you don't lose or make $$$$ until you sell that stock;)

Eddie Spaghetti
04-29-2018, 03:52 PM
his ceiling is now the 3rd string QB if they let Landry go after this season

that's not a waste?

pittpete
04-29-2018, 03:56 PM
Are you positive, 100% certain?

pittpete
04-29-2018, 03:57 PM
Shamarko Thomas is the perfect example of a wasted pick.
Add Sepulveda to that list also.LOL

Eddie Spaghetti
04-29-2018, 03:58 PM
nothing is 100% certain pete

I just give my opinions like all the other armchair GMs and super scouts we are blessed with on this site

but I'm 99% certain Josh Dobbs will never amount to squat in the NFL

pittpete
04-29-2018, 04:00 PM
You probably right bud....:)

Slapstick
04-29-2018, 04:25 PM
He probably is, but I hope he isn’t...

His ceiling in 2018, perhaps 2019 is #3...after that, who knows?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-29-2018, 05:32 PM
Sure seems like a wasted 4th round pick, but only in hindsight IMO. If Rudolph hadn't unexpectedly fallen in our lap in the 3rd this year I guess we'd still be happy enough with the pick.

Docosc
04-29-2018, 06:11 PM
Shamarko Thomas is the perfect example of a wasted pick.
Add Sepulveda to that list also.LOL

Awww, man, don't bust on Sepulveda! He got hurt, but who doesn't love having a linebacker at punter!

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2018, 02:54 PM
Jeremy Fowler
ESPN Staff Writer

Steelers whose stock rose/fell based on the draft:

Rose:

Vance McDonald: Should enter year as starting TE.

WR JuJu Smith-Schuster: Could pace for 100-plus targets.

RB Le'Veon Bell: Still the guy.

Fell:

J.J. Wilcox: Faces uphill roster battle in crowded safety room

Josh Dobbs: Learning curve over, must battle for spot.