PDA

View Full Version : Little Help in This Draft

Buzz
04-27-2018, 10:07 PM
for our D this year. No help with the pass rush, not enough to shore up the shaky middle of our defense. We let a lot of players who could have helped this year slip right on by.

Sugar
04-27-2018, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I'm seeing that too. I get the WR pick after losing Bryant. The QB seems like nothing more than a luxury pick right now for a team that could have used a lot of talent on D.

Buzz
04-27-2018, 11:37 PM
Yeah, I'm seeing that too. I get the WR pick after losing Bryant. The QB seems like nothing more than a luxury pick right now for a team that could have used a lot of talent on D.

And an OT to cap off the night. Steelers have given up on fixing the D through the draft this year. One player who will maybe see p/t duty as a nickle/dime ss/lb. With such glaring need, as we saw vs. Jax. Look for another embarrassment in the playoffs (if we make the playoffs).

Unless ... could we be looking to make a trade or another FA move?

Shawn
04-28-2018, 12:37 AM
Steelers are playing the long game and putting together a competitive team long into the future. I wasn't a fan of Rudolph in the first but I sure as hell think he's a value pick in the third. Washington is a terrific WR. That's our future. But, Washington will help us win now. Edmonds...ehh I think he's raw. He was moved around alot and asked to do many things so he didn't become elite at one. But, he's twitchy, has size and speed. He can play. I do think we have gotten better not only now but in the future.

Shoe
04-28-2018, 01:07 AM
I'm not one of those guys, but this is probably the worst draft in memory. The only other one I can manufacture in my memory, maybe Chad Scott's draft? Can't remember any names after Scott, but I know I thought that was a bad pick at the time (proven right).

I've watched drafts dutifully longer than most, and I just don't remember too many where I was this apathetic about.

Chadman
04-28-2018, 04:25 AM
I’m not sure the value in the ‘positions of need’ has been there every time they get to pick, tbh.

If they can pick up a Josh Sweat or Jeff Holland, Micah Kizer or Dorian O’Daniel or even Chris Worley in Round 5, they still fill a couple of spots with guys that can at least contribute.

Have to remember, they did sign Morgan Burnett to replace Mitchell, Behre to replace Golden and Bostic to basically fill the Shazier role. The only spot there that was downgraded was ILB, and no matter who was signed or drafted, it was probably a downgrade to Shazier!

I would expect that Edmunds finds the field in the sub packages and either he or Burnett play that semi LB/S role that Shazier filled on passing downs.

I’m just not sure we see the team downgraded much at all at this point, and Burnett is definitely an upgrade on Mitchell.

All said, if they can’t find a decent ILB, probably a good time to make contact with Timmons to strengthen the unit.

Steelerphile
04-28-2018, 04:35 AM
I guess the standard overreaction of fans. Horrible draft! is usually my expectation and already is in great evidence. I totally understand the first three picks and the Steelers needed to look at the QB position with Roethlisberger nearing retirement. I think Rudolph is a fine prospect for a 3rd round selection. I like him as well or better than some of the 1st round QBs in the draft.

I am a little distressed over Okafor. He is probably a good prospect but I was thinking linebacker there. They have Jerald Hawkins in the pipeline from a couple years ago, and I thought he was similar kind of guy. But we'll see how everything shakes out in the end. It is not possible to get everything in one draft though. Have to have guys step up that were practice squad last year like Keion Adams.

Ernie
04-28-2018, 06:44 AM
I remember feeling the same way last year after the draft... "Didn't do enough to improve at CB"...and then we picked up Joe Haden. This just tells me we aren't done in Free Agency. I look for us to land another quality ILB after the draft.

Ernie
04-28-2018, 06:46 AM
The one pick I really didn't care for was the 3rd round OT. Would have loved a running back there. Maybe Ballage or Scarboro will be there in the 5th? Call me crazy, but I'm loving the Rudolph pick in Round 3. This is a great time to bring in someone that we think has the potential of being Ben's "Heir apparent". Although Ben wants to play 3 more years.... let's be honest... he's a knee injury away from calling it a career.

papillon
04-28-2018, 07:55 AM
Not a fan of the OT (the position, not the person), maybe they plan making a real push for Navarro Bowman somehow?

Pappy

Buzz
04-28-2018, 09:38 AM
Some of you are happy that we didn't "downgrade" our D much ... but we needed to upgrade it, to make a real push for the Super Bowl this season. I like Mason Rudolph, but Ben says he's playing 3 more years. And who wants to defend spending a 4th rounder last year on Dobbs? I can understand the Washington pick, but the OT is a project. This might be a fine draft for four years from now, but I really would like to see this team in a win-now mode before Ben hangs it up.

Steelerphile
04-28-2018, 09:56 AM
I would defend the Dobbs pick because that was last year. and you don't know from year to year who will be available and how the draft will go. Obviously if they "knew" they would draft Rudolph this year they would not have drafted Dobbs last year. But I still think Dobbs is a good prospect, even though I think Rudolph would more project as a No. 1.

The one I would let go is Landry and he looked better last year than before. But I would prefer to keep around the more athletic Dobbs and Rudolph, than Landry Jones.

Slapstick
04-28-2018, 10:01 AM
I would hate to see the team simply
draft players just because they play a particular position...

I regard the draft as the primary way to build your team for the future...I don’t like to see the team get locked in on one particular year...

From the end of the season? Our defense has not been “downgraded” one iota...

The two positions that were weakest on defense were ILB (Spence) and FS (Mitchell)...those two positions were upgraded prior to the draft, hopefully in a truly significant way.

Trying to find a replacement for Shazier is extremely difficult, because he was a singular player...so, on running downs they replaced him with a hard nosed tackling machine...on passing downs, they chose an uber-athletic hybrid DB (and I don’t think “uber-athletic” is an exaggeration)...

They traded away a locker room headache in Bryant and chose the winner of the Biletnikoff award to replace him...

They lost tackle depth in free agency and chose a crazy physical specimen to replace him...

Our franchise QB has said he wants to play three more years, but openly contemplated retirement one year ago and has only two years left on his contract...I think Big Ben has proven through the years that we can’t take everything he says at face value...so, the Steelers opted for a value pick in round three, choosing the QB that they have scouted most heavily in years...

I know that they chose Dobbs last year...but, if you truly believe that you have a legitimate shot at a franchise QB, and your QB is talking about retirement, pull the trigger...the Pats* did it with Jimmy Garoppolo...I think we did it here....

All in all, I never know what to think of the draft as I am aware that it is a proverbial “crap shoot”...I simply prefer that the Steelers use the draft to build the team instead of trying to scotch tape shut perceived “holes”.

Steel Maniac
04-28-2018, 10:01 AM
CBS sports says it best about us for this draft.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-draft-winners-and-losers-from-day-2-giants-are-outstanding-raiders-remain-confusing/

Steel Maniac
04-28-2018, 10:33 AM
Colbert and Tomlin didn’t do enough to help the defense this year to get better.

We should be in more of a “win now” mode but obviously they aren’t. The Rudolph and Edmunds picks were okay but the other selections are not doing anything for us now.

Steel Maniac
04-28-2018, 10:33 AM
Rudolph was a necessary future move

feltdizz
04-28-2018, 10:38 AM
Is this a bad draft for LB’s?

I dont get all this offense. It’s know we have gone D in the first these last few years but dammit, keep drafting defense.

I guess the window is damn near closed for Ben after this year. Feels like we are drafting for the future (which makes sense as a franchise) but yeeesh, this draft feels like life after Ben.

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2018, 11:05 AM
Colbert and Tomlin didn’t do enough to help the defense this year to get better.

We should be in more of a “win now” mode but obviously they aren’t. The Rudolph and Edmunds picks were okay but the other selections are not doing anything for us now.

How is the Washington pick not doing anything for us now??? Our offense tends to use 3-wide as a base and after trading Bryant, Washington will essentially be a starter for us alongside AB and Juju.

Shawn
04-28-2018, 11:18 AM
How is the Washington pick not doing anything for us now??? Our offense tends to use 3-wide as a base and after trading Bryant, Washington will essentially be a starter for us alongside AB and Juju. Correct, two of our first 4 picks will probably start day 1, or soon there after in package sets.

Oviedo
04-28-2018, 11:20 AM
Some of you are happy that we didn't "downgrade" our D much ... but we needed to upgrade it, to make a real push for the Super Bowl this season. I like Mason Rudolph, but Ben says he's playing 3 more years. And who wants to defend spending a 4th rounder last year on Dobbs? I can understand the Washington pick, but the OT is a project. This might be a fine draft for four years from now, but I really would like to see this team in a win-now mode before Ben hangs it up.

You don't pass on Rudolph when you can get him in Round 3. He already comes in with more potential than Jones and Dobbs combined. He is in a perfect situation being able to develop for 2-3 years

Oviedo
04-28-2018, 11:22 AM
Is this a bad draft for LB’s?

I dont get all this offense. It’s know we have gone D in the first these last few years but dammit, keep drafting defense.

I guess the window is damn near closed for Ben after this year. Feels like we are drafting for the future (which makes sense as a franchise) but yeeesh, this draft feels like life after Ben.

After the first four LBs were off the board there really wasn't anyone to take. I think we did a great job grabbing players who will contribute in 2018 in Round 1 and 2.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-28-2018, 11:32 AM
the only pick I really dislike is the OT

the 3rd is way too high for an OT project who by all accounts has bad film and lacks desire. take a guy like that in the 6th or 7th, fine. but the 3rd with our needs at LB? no way

BURGH86STEEL
04-28-2018, 11:36 AM

The Steelers are always in win now mode. It's why they win. It's not simply about winning the Superbowl for the organization. It's about the ability build and field competitive teams from year to year. It's terrible logic from a business perspective to go all in for one year when there is the future to consider.

Keep in mind that there are no guarantees when it comes to the NFL draft. Let's say the Steelers trade away many of their future draft picks for the opportunity to draft one or two players in an attempt to win now. Then the players they drafted turn busts or end up injured. There will be no hope for the future because the Steelers went all in an attempt to win now.

The Steelers will have the opportunity to win more Superbowls as long as they can remain competitive and relevant.

I don't know what you think of the draft. What seems true is that not many players that come into the league will help teams win now. Only a handful that get drafted will be major contributors during the first year.

Slapstick
04-28-2018, 11:45 AM
As those players are top 10 picks on underperforming rosters...

In the NFL, the one thing that can keep a window open is a franchise QB...

If the Steelers found one in round 3? Then the window is still open after Ben retires...

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/17/17242722/mason-rudolph-oklahoma-state-nfl-draft-2018-pittsburgh-steelers

NorthCoast
04-28-2018, 01:21 PM
I wonder why so many teams were willing to trade down in this year's draft?

Steel Maniac
04-28-2018, 01:38 PM
The Steelers are always in win now mode. It's why they win. It's not simply about winning the Superbowl for the organization. It's about the ability build and field competitive teams from year to year. It's terrible logic from a business perspective to go all in for one year when there is the future to consider.

Keep in mind that there are no guarantees when it comes to the NFL draft. Let's say the Steelers trade away many of their future draft picks for the opportunity to draft one or two players in an attempt to win now. Then the players they drafted turn busts or end up injured. There will be no hope for the future because the Steelers went all in an attempt to win now.

The Steelers will have the opportunity to win more Superbowls as long as they can remain competitive and relevant.

I don't know what you think of the draft. What seems true is that not many players that come into the league will help teams win now. Only a handful that get drafted will be major contributors during the first year.

There should be more urgency in us getting the defense up to snuff to win right now. Of course we always have an eye on the future; but when a team is close , with a franchise qb in the twighlight of his career, you complete the mission.

Love the Rudolph pick ( for the future) but where has this defense gotten better?

Steel Maniac
04-28-2018, 01:41 PM
Watt is a good lb. but after that , what do we have in our linebacker corps that we can hang our hat on? Where do we get additional pressure on the QB?

Please refer to the Jags playoff game ; specifically the 4th qtr.

NorthCoast
04-28-2018, 04:16 PM
the only pick I really dislike is the OT

the 3rd is way too high for an OT project who by all accounts has bad film and lacks desire. take a guy like that in the 6th or 7th, fine. but the 3rd with our needs at LB? no wayWould you be so disappointed if he turns into the next C Hubbard?... just maybe this is the plan they are hoping for....

feltdizz
04-28-2018, 04:55 PM
I agree with Burghsteel that we are always in win now mode. Hell, we were real close last year before the refs screwed us in the Pats game.

Still wish we we added more depth at the LB position and the DL position.

Maybe we cut a few after camp and get a few FA’s to round out the defense.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-28-2018, 05:13 PM

Agree, Plus one Buzz.

Maybe I am too impatient, but I really wanted us to go all out to win the Super Bowl this coming year. Our offence was fine, I'm not even sure we needed to replace Bryant this year.

Even if we did, quarterback?? Is the FO saying that Dobbs and Jones just suck? There weren't any great defensive backs to pick there instead?

With our history of injuries on the offensive line, I guess I am kind of okay with the OT pick. But in general, I sure expected a lot more emphasis on the defence.

squidkid
04-28-2018, 05:21 PM
I agree with Burghsteel that we are always in win now mode. Hell, we were real close last year before the refs screwed us in the Pats game.

Still wish we we added more depth at the LB position and the DL position.

Maybe we cut a few after camp and get a few FA’s to round out the defense.

the pats game wasnt our last one of the season....

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-28-2018, 05:24 PM
CBS sports says it best about us for this draft.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-draft-winners-and-losers-from-day-2-giants-are-outstanding-raiders-remain-confusing/

(Click the "film" icon next to the quote box)

SteelBucks
04-28-2018, 05:26 PM
I’m fine with the draft. They tried to trade up to grab Rashaan Evans but it didn’t work out. Randolph was a good pick in the third round. Preparing for the post Ben era is never bad idea even if he plays a few more years...bye bye Dobbs. I absolutely love the Washington pick in the second round. Easily replaces Bryant and starts immediately when we go to three WR sets.

The team isn’t done. They need to put the Bell situation to bed and there will be another look into FA before camp.

Steelwolf
04-28-2018, 07:45 PM
Let's be honest. The Steelers did not draft to help us win this year honestly...as some have said hate to be that guy but holy hell no need to draft a qb and a wr and ol when we have up 40+ points to the jags

feltdizz
04-28-2018, 08:05 PM
the pats game wasnt our last one of the season....
Its the one that robbed us of the #1 seed. Possibly avoiding the Jags who clearly matched up well with us last year.

Captain Lemming
04-28-2018, 09:11 PM
Its the one that robbed us of the #1 seed. Possibly avoiding the Jags who clearly matched up well with us last year.

If we cant beat the Jags AT HOME we don't deserve nuthin.
If we lost to the Pats at their house because we were denied home field is one thing.

Crying about who we had to face AT HOME is pathetic.

SteelBucks
04-28-2018, 09:27 PM
Let's be honest. The Steelers did not draft to help us win this year honestly...as some have said hate to be that guy but holy hell no need to draft a qb and a wr and ol when we have up 40+ points to the jags

Needed a WR...now. Bostic and Burnett helps the defense immediately. I agree most of the draft picks was looking ahead into future seasons.

feltdizz
04-28-2018, 09:57 PM
If we lost to the Pats at their house because we were denied home field is one thing.

its not pathetic. It’s a hypothetical scenario.

We got got what we deserved after the Jags loss.. it was over.

we still won 13 games last year in the regular season. We are obviously in win now mode.

Oviedo
04-28-2018, 10:03 PM
I’m fine with the draft. They tried to trade up to grab Rashaan Evans but it didn’t work out. Randolph was a good pick in the third round. Preparing for the post Ben era is never bad idea even if he plays a few more years...bye bye Dobbs. I absolutely love the Washington pick in the second round. Easily replaces Bryant and starts immediately when we go to three WR sets.

The team isn’t done. They need to put the Bell situation to bed and there will be another look into FA before camp.

I agree. They did well with what they had to work with. You can't draft players who are unavailable and you don't draft positions where you have not evaluated the available talent to be at a level you want. That is why you have people spending thousands of hours scouting and evaluating.

You also don't draft for a single season and ignore the long term. You have to balance your approach and I think they did that well this draft.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-28-2018, 10:07 PM

For the second time on this board today you will read a post that says:

Small (but fierce?) subnivean mammal, you are 100% right!

No excuses - we have no morale claim to being the 2017 Official "if only Riveron hadn't ..." SB Champs.

Win at home against Jags, lose to the **'s in Foxboro ... different story perhaps, robbed and lose HFA (I tend to think it actually is). But not the way it played out. We sucked on defense, and our record stands as it is.

Uggh, but it's the ugly truth.

BURGH86STEEL
04-28-2018, 10:14 PM

It's unrealistic to expect players to come in and be major contributors right away. I think teams are hopeful that they draft guys that they believe can contribute at some point during the first season. Most players won't be ready to play major roles until their 2nd or 3rd season. Most teams understand the process.

Buzz
04-28-2018, 10:24 PM
As for today's selections...

--I like Frazier in the 7th. If he can knock Big Dan off the roster, it will be a big win.

--To get Marcus Allen in round 5 suprised me (I had him slotted for round 3-4). I like him, but how many in the box SS's do we need?
We (still) need a safety who is good in deep coverage. I'm not convinced we have one on the roster.

--Jaylen Samuels--nice player but, realistically, how much will he see the field? Maybe on STs.

No help with the pass rush. Still thin at ILB. Still a question mark at deep safety. I hope all these picks turn out to be home runs, but my initial grade is "D" for disappointment.

But again, maybe we have something big coming in FA. Wasn't James Farrior signed after the draft?

Captain Lemming
04-28-2018, 10:34 PM
For the second time on this board today you will read a post that says:

Small (but fierce?) subnivean mammal, you are 100% right!

Twice on one thread?
Wow that must be a record or something for me. :)

phillyesq
04-29-2018, 10:06 AM
It's unrealistic to expect players to come in and be major contributors right away. I think teams are hopeful that they draft guys that they believe can contribute at some point during the first season. Most players won't be ready to play major roles until their 2nd or 3rd season. Most teams understand the process.

I agree that the draft is a long game. And I have no problem with the first 3 picks. Where the Steelers left themselves vulnerable is that they did nothing to address depth at ILB or OLB. Chickillo is a FA after this year and the only other options on the roster are 7th rounders and UDFAs. Same at ILB. Even if a rookie didn't contribute this year, those positions still need improvement next year. Unless Keion Adams or one of the UDFAs really show through, I think next year the Steelers will again be looking at OLB and ILB as two huge needs in the draft.

Slapstick
04-29-2018, 10:18 AM
If Bud Dupree doesn’t start doing something more, then they will be looking at OLB in any case...

phillyesq
04-29-2018, 11:17 AM
If Bud Dupree doesn’t start doing something more, then they will be looking at OLB in any case...

As it stands right now, the Steelers have no choice but to pay Dupree to play next year on the 5th year option.

Slapstick
04-29-2018, 11:55 AM
Next year is Dupree’s 4th year...he’s still on his rookie contract. A lot can happen between now and the 2019 season...

phillyesq
04-29-2018, 02:34 PM
Next year is Dupree’s 4th year...he’s still on his rookie contract. A lot can happen between now and the 2019 season...

I'm sorry - I meant play him in 2019 on the fifth year option. And unless he improves drastically, that is significantly more than Dupree is worth.

squidkid
04-29-2018, 08:30 PM

we would have lost to them in the playoffs anyways
shouldnt have lost to the bears either

Steel Maniac
04-30-2018, 12:57 AM
As it stands right now, the Steelers have no choice but to pay Dupree to play next year on the 5th year option.

And hope for the best

Slapstick
04-30-2018, 05:55 AM
And the Pats** shouldn’t have lost to the Dolphins...but they did...it happens in the NFL virtually every week...

feltdizz
04-30-2018, 08:31 AM
we would have lost to them in the playoffs anyways
shouldnt have lost to the bears either

win some, lose some..

while i I didn’t enjoy the bears game it didn’t feel like it was stolen from us.

Slapstick
04-30-2018, 08:41 AM
win some, lose some..

while i I didn’t enjoy the bears game it didn’t feel like it was stolen from us.

Yeah, if the outcome is decided on the field, I can live with it. When the outcome is decided 300 miles away, I have a much harder time...