PDA

View Full Version : Didn't we have inside info that Mason Rudolph

Steelhere10
04-27-2018, 11:23 AM
Would be the first pick for the Steelers? I guess Colbert lied to someone's cousin uncle next door neighbor..... :o:D

feltdizz
04-27-2018, 11:36 AM
LMAO.. gotta love the draft gurus. They have all the intel

Steelhere10
04-27-2018, 11:44 AM
Asking for a friend.... Lmao

Steel Maniac
04-27-2018, 11:51 AM
Would be the first pick for the Steelers? I guess Colbert lied to someone's cousin uncle next door neighbor..... :o:D

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's called "smoke screening" for a reason. :smile:

Ghost
04-27-2018, 12:13 PM
I mean it's not as if 5 other QBs were taken in the first round. Wait...what...

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2018, 12:40 PM
Folks thought we dined the Oklahoma State prospects because we were interested in drafting QB Mason Rudolph as a potential heir apparent to Ben Roethlisberger. It could be that we were actually interested in his top WR James Washington as a potential day two replacement for Martavis Bryant.

feltdizz
04-27-2018, 12:43 PM
Folks thought we dined the Oklahoma State prospects because we were interested in drafting QB Mason Rudolph as a potential heir apparent to Ben Roethlisberger. It could be that we were actually interested in his top WR James Washington as a potential day two replacement for Martavis Bryant.

haha.. yup. That's what I thought. It's like asking a woman out to grill her about her cousin

Ghost
04-27-2018, 12:50 PM

Washington measured 5'11" / 213 at the combine.

Every receiver at the combine who’s heavier than Washington is at least 6’2. The next-heaviest wideout at 5’11 is SMU’s Trey Quinn, who came in at 203 pounds. According to Pro-Football Reference’s Play Index, there wasn’t a single player in the league in 2017 who was listed as a receiver, was shorter than 6’0, was heavier than 210 pounds, and had a reception.

Prowler
04-27-2018, 01:03 PM
Actually, we should trade one of our third round picks, then move up and draft Mason Rudolph, IMO. We'll have our next franchise QB for the next 15 years.

Steel Maniac
04-27-2018, 01:07 PM
Actually, we should trade one of our third round picks, then move up and draft Mason Rudolph, IMO. We'll have our next franchise QB for the next 15 years.

I believe in Rudolph having a real chance to pan out. His resume is as good as any other QB's resume in this draft.

feltdizz
04-27-2018, 01:27 PM

move up to draft a QB in the second? You can't be serious.

Ghost
04-27-2018, 01:40 PM

This is from SI.com's 2nd round mock draft posted today. They don't think the Steelers need to move:

60. Pittsburgh: Mason Rudolph, QB, Oklahoma State
I felt all along that teams might not value Rudolph the same way the public did, which is why he’s available this late.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-27-2018, 01:43 PM
if he is there in the 2nd, you really have to consider it

feltdizz
04-27-2018, 01:59 PM
I hope we consider it and then move on to a better pick.

I actually think he will be gone by the time we pick.

Prowler
04-27-2018, 02:26 PM
move up to draft a QB in the second? You can't be serious.

For the good of your own mental health the good news is the Steelers probably won't trade up for Rudolph. There are many fans and evaluators who will disagree with me on this QB. And they're probably right but its my opinion that Mason is a franchise QB and worth the chance. What do I know, I come from the hotbed of football here in Canada. I'm just an old armchair QB that loves the Steelers and watching a lot of the college game. Whatever management decides and no matter who they draft I will be a fanatical fan. All the best, feltdizz!!

pittpete
04-27-2018, 03:19 PM
Just say no to a QB....Can't give up on Dobbs already:cool:

Steel Maniac
04-27-2018, 03:22 PM
For the good of your own mental health the good news is the Steelers probably won't trade up for Rudolph. There are many fans and evaluators who will disagree with me on this QB. And they're probably right but its my opinion that Mason is a franchise QB and worth the chance. What do I know, I come from the hotbed of football here in Canada. I'm just a fat armchair QB that loves the Steelers and watching a lot of the college game. Whatever management decides and no matter who they draft I will be a fanatical fan. All the best, feltdizz!!

Chargers are sniffing around Rudolph a lot. So you are not the only one who likes him. I too think he’s going to pan out as a starter one day.

Steel Maniac
04-27-2018, 03:22 PM
Just say no to a QB....Can't give up on Dobbs already:cool:

Yeah.. strong point. Gotta see what Dobbs has got going into year two

Ghost
04-27-2018, 09:35 PM

RB... Fu@@ing genius!! Well played sir (tips cap).

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2018, 09:51 PM
RB... Fu@@ing genius!! Well played sir (tips cap).

Or maybe both. ;)

Prowler
04-27-2018, 10:08 PM
Hell yeah, I'm a happy camper. This might be my favorite day two of all time. Got an outstanding WR and the next franchise QB for the organization. Plus we got rid of cancer in the locker room the day before.

Steel Maniac
04-27-2018, 10:20 PM
I want us to address our linebacker spots

Prowler
04-27-2018, 10:22 PM
I want us to address our linebacker spots
Not sure what good LB's are left. Hope we get Bo Scarborough next.

Steel Maniac
04-27-2018, 10:31 PM
I like Bo. Physical guy and looked powerful in the championship game

Prowler
04-27-2018, 10:33 PM
I like Bo. Physical guy and looked powerful in the championship game

He's a beast for sure.

feltdizz
04-28-2018, 10:18 AM
For the good of your own mental health the good news is the Steelers probably won't trade up for Rudolph. There are many fans and evaluators who will disagree with me on this QB. And they're probably right but its my opinion that Mason is a franchise QB and worth the chance. What do I know, I come from the hotbed of football here in Canada. I'm just an old armchair QB that loves the Steelers and watching a lot of the college game. Whatever management decides and no matter who they draft I will be a fanatical fan. All the best, feltdizz!!

Thanks. Well you got your wish and I did as well.

While i I didn’t want to move up or draft him in the first I don’t have an issue with grabbing him in the third. I don’t have faith in him but now that he is a Steeler I want to be wrong about him.

Just glad we waited a while before scooping him up.

Shawn
04-28-2018, 10:46 AM
Thanks. Well you got your wish and I did as well.

While i I didn’t want to move up or draft him in the first I don’t have an issue with grabbing him in the third. I don’t have faith in him but now that he is a Steeler I want to be wrong about him.

Just glad we waited a while before scooping him up. Yeah I like the value in the third. In the first? F no. In the third...oh yeah.

Shawn
04-28-2018, 11:04 AM
Not sure what good LB's are left. Hope we get Bo Scarborough next. Agreed, I really want us to grab him.

Oviedo
04-28-2018, 11:24 AM
Hell yeah, I'm a happy camper. This might be my favorite day two of all time. Got an outstanding WR and the next franchise QB for the organization. Plus we got rid of cancer in the locker room the day before.

I'm right there with you. Very happy with Day 2

Oviedo
04-28-2018, 11:26 AM
Yeah.. strong point. Gotta see what Dobbs has got going into year two

No we don't. Dobbs was drafted to be Jones' replacement not Ben's

Eddie Spaghetti
04-28-2018, 11:34 AM
No we don't. Dobbs was drafted to be Jones' replacement not Ben's

no offense ovi, but this is silly

you don't spend a 4th round pick on a QB if you don't see him as a potential starter at some point in his future

steelerkeylargo
04-28-2018, 12:19 PM

you don't spend a 4th round pick on a QB if you don't see him as a potential starter at some point in his future

I can't remember too many 4th round QB's that were counted onto be long term NFL starters.

feltdizz
04-28-2018, 12:49 PM

ehhh, don’t most 4th rounder wash out of the NFL quickly?

Pretty sure anyone drafted after the second round that doesn’t see the field in the first year has a real low percentage of being a starter.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-28-2018, 01:02 PM
sorry, but I'm not drafting backups in the 4th round. finding starters in that range should be the goal

feltdizz
04-28-2018, 01:18 PM
I think the goal is for every draft pick to be a starter at some point. But we all know how it goes. Most don’t make it, a few do.

Captain Lemming
04-28-2018, 05:23 PM

You HOPE every pick is good enough to be a starter.
You do not realistically "expect" 4th round QBs to become capable starters.

If you really "project" a QB as a likely legit starter, you would never wait that long to draft him.

Captain Lemming
04-28-2018, 05:27 PM
sorry, but I'm not drafting backups in the 4th round. finding starters in that range should be the goal

But QB as a position is notoriously over drafted because of the value of the position.
Anybody deemed a likely starter will be drafted early.

Fourth round QBs who wind up desirable starters are the exception, not close to the rule.

Slapstick
04-28-2018, 06:20 PM
Fourth round QBs who wind up desirable starters are the exception, not close to the rule.

I read once that only about 8% of 4th round QBs become starters...

Ghost
04-28-2018, 06:31 PM

So you’re saying this was the best draft ever.... ;)

Captain Lemming
04-28-2018, 06:44 PM

To which Ghost replied.

So you’re saying this was the best draft ever.... ;)

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/840/283/350.png

feltdizz
04-29-2018, 09:29 AM
When did we draft Landry?

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2018, 10:40 AM
When did we draft Landry?

2013 4th round.

Interestingly enough, the Giants and Steelers plans for drafting QB's in recent seasons has mirrored each other pretty closely as fellow 2004 1st round picks Eli and Ben have been getting up there in age.

In 2013, we both used a 4th round pick on a QB (Ryan Nassib and Landry Jones).

In the past two drafts, they spent a 3rd and a 4th round pick on QB's (2017 3rd round on Davis Webb and 2018 4th round on Kyle Lauletta).

In the past two drafts, we also spent a 3rd and a 4th round pick on QB's (2017 4th round on Joshua Dobbs and 2018 3rd round on Mason Rudolph).

D Rock
04-29-2018, 12:29 PM

You spend a 4th round draft pick on a backup QB because guys like Landry Jones get spot starts when guys like Ben Roethlisberger are injured. Ben has had 8 games since Landry was drafted where he did not start. Ben misses an average of 1 or 2 games a year. Those 1 or 2 games make a ton of difference in getting to the playoffs.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-29-2018, 01:11 PM
what round did we draft Bruce gradkowski, Byron leftwich, and charlie batch in?

Slapstick
04-29-2018, 03:33 PM
So, instead of drafting a backup in the 4th, you think they should pay significantly more for a free agent?

Eddie Spaghetti
04-29-2018, 03:42 PM
we didn't pay significantly more for any of those guys when we got them

you are one dense SOB

Slapstick
04-29-2018, 04:27 PM
we didn't pay significantly more for any of those guys when we got them

you are one dense SOB

Sure we did. Pointing that out doesn’t make me dense, it makes me correct. The name calling says more about you than it does about me.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-29-2018, 04:54 PM
sure we didnt. gradkowski and batch played for pretty much vet minimum, leftwich just slightly more

you are incapable of admitting you are wrong and instead engage in childish circular reasoning

Slapstick
04-29-2018, 04:59 PM
sure we didnt. gradkowski and batch played for pretty much vet minimum, leftwich just slightly more

you are incapable of admitting you are wrong and instead engage in childish circular reasoning

While you are incapable of admitting that you may be wrong and engage in childish name calling.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-29-2018, 05:02 PM
go look up the contracts genius

Slapstick
04-29-2018, 05:05 PM
Charlie Batch made more than $10 million as a Steeler. Bruce Gradkowski made $5 million in three years. Leftwich also made $5 million as a Steeler.

https://scout.com/nfl/steelers/Board/103198/Contents/Steelers-all-time-earners-71932576

Eddie Spaghetti
04-29-2018, 05:08 PM
batch was here 11 years

5 million for 3 years is peanuts

leftwich made ok back up money

none of that is significant as you stated. you were wrong and can't own it

Slapstick
04-29-2018, 05:11 PM
Dobbs? 4 years less than $3 million. Just over $500k guaranteed. And that is a 4th rounder in 2017. 4th rounders were paid less under previous CBAs.

Genius.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-29-2018, 05:13 PM
and there you go with the circular reasoning bit. you said we paid significantly more for FA back up QBs and you were wrong

I'm done, you look stupid

Slapstick
04-29-2018, 05:21 PM
and there you go with the circular reasoning bit. you said we paid significantly more for FA back up QBs and you were wrong

I'm done, you look stupid

Keep telling yourself that. Maybe you’ll believe it eventually...

D Rock
04-29-2018, 06:28 PM
Veteran backup QBs make about 3x as much as a mid-round draft pick QB. ~650,000 compared to 2 million

on a team regularly tight on the cap, that can make a difference

Captain Lemming
04-29-2018, 10:20 PM
what round did we draft Bruce gradkowski, Byron leftwich, and charlie batch in?

Actually, it doesn't matter. You said 4th rounders are not drafted to be backups.

Fact is while.you "hope" every player is a capable starter, you know he is likely backup.quality at best.

Dobbs like Landry, were absolutely drafted with the expectation that they likely would be backups.

"You don't draft a QB in the 4th to be a backup?" Really?

Every 4th round QB in the league save for one is a backup.

If you are looking for a starting caliber QB it would be stupid to wait to the 4th to get one.

Eich
04-30-2018, 11:12 AM
Actually, it doesn't matter. You said 4th rounders are not drafted to be backups.

Fact is while.you "hope" every player is a capable starter, you know he is likely backup.quality at best.

Dobbs like Landry, were absolutely drafted with the expectation that they likely would be backups.

"You don't draft a QB in the 4th to be a backup?" Really?

Every 4th round QB in the league save for one is a backup.

If you are looking for a starting caliber QB it would be stupid to wait to the 4th to get one.

Isn't every draft pick, drafted with the hope that he becomes a starter? Does any team really draft a player - in any round - thinking... yes, this will be my backup for years to come?

Sure, your hopes are higher in the first round. But do you think the Patriots drafted Marcia in the 6th, with the intent for him to be the backup forever?

Slapstick
04-30-2018, 11:20 AM
It is the difference between “want” and “expectation”...

We all wanted Antonio Brown to be an all time great WR...but, there was no reasonable expectation of that happening for a 6th round pick...

Of course, it happened, but 6th round picks washout more often than not, and few become HoF caliber players...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
04-30-2018, 11:49 AM
It is the difference between “want” and “expectation”...

We all wanted Antonio Brown to be an all time great WR...but, there was no reasonable expectation of that happening for a 6th round pick...

Of course, it happened, but 6th round picks washout more often than not, and few become HoF caliber players...

It's nice to know that AB, our resident 6th rounder future HOF member, will go in without the **s next to his name that Marcia Brady** (another 6th rounder) will have. Still hoping the owners of the teams he cheated against, and the sportswriters from those cities, decide to vomit on his candidacy like they should, and he never gets in.

Or if he does, his enshrinement bust should be holding a movie camera in one hand and a bicycle pump in the other!

feltdizz
04-30-2018, 11:57 AM
Isn't every draft pick, drafted with the hope that he becomes a starter? Does any team really draft a player - in any round - thinking... yes, this will be my backup for years to come?

Sure, your hopes are higher in the first round. But do you think the Patriots drafted Marcia in the 6th, with the intent for him to be the backup forever?

they probably drafted Brady with no intentions of him being a starter, let alone even making the team.

Buzz
04-30-2018, 10:06 PM
they probably drafted Brady with no intentions of him being a starter, let alone even making the team.

Pre-draft interview:

BB: Brady, are you willing to cheat?

TB: By all means.

BB (to his staff): Here's our future starter.

feltdizz
05-01-2018, 08:54 AM
Pre-draft interview:

whatever it takes coach, put me in!!!

Steel Maniac
05-01-2018, 11:05 AM
Pre-draft interview:

Hahahahahahaha

fordfixer
05-01-2018, 09:49 PM
Pre-draft interview:

TB: I’m your Girl

Fixed that for you

tiproast
05-01-2018, 11:07 PM
Dick Rehbein scouted Brady and was completely sold on him - he wanted Belichick to pick him as early as the third round. There was no doubt in his mind that Brady would be a starter in the NFL. And coming out of training camp in 2001 (after Brady spent a year riding the pine) there was talk that Brady was the best QB on the roster, even before Bledsoe got hurt.

Captain Lemming
05-01-2018, 11:58 PM
Dick Rehbein scouted Brady and was completely sold on him - he wanted Belichick to pick him as early as the third round. There was no doubt in his mind that Brady would be a starter in the NFL. And coming out of training camp in 2001 (after Brady spent a year riding the pine) there was talk that Brady was the best QB on the roster, even before Bledsoe got hurt.

Nooo you cant come here with facts and stuff. They will call it smug and stuff like that.
Dont you see the Brady bashing session is on this thread, they are all gonna tstart raging at you. :)

That said, doesnt matter what the QB coach thought.
If BB himself or Pioli "KNEW" Brady would unseat Bledsoe, they would not have waited that long.
The true decision makers would never let someone they thought as a likely replacement for Bledsoe let alone a HOF caliber QB go round after round available to other teams if they thought he was that good.

He was "projected" as a 3rd or 4th rounder. There is no doubt they were surprised he was still around in the 6th.

Bledsoe was like 28 years old and had just signed THE BIGGEST CONTRACT IN NFL HISTORY when they drafted Brady.
Bledsoe was young and considered among the leagues elite. You dont draft a "successor" when the best player on your roster is entering his prime,.

Again, the Pats drafted Brady in the 6th round, the most secure job on the team was QB Bledsoe .

That is pretty much the definition of being "drafted with the expectation of being a backup".

feltdizz
05-02-2018, 09:49 AM

how the hell you sold on someone but wait until the 6th?

I can see being sold on him being much better than a 6th rounder so it would be good value if you got him (like AB) but I highly doubt anyone thought AB or Brady would be this good or you wouldn't risk losing them to other teams.

tiproast
05-02-2018, 09:57 AM
how the hell you sold on someone but wait until the 6th?

I can see being sold on him being much better than a 6th rounder so it would be good value if you got him (like AB) but I highly doubt anyone thought AB or Brady would be this good or you wouldn't risk losing them to other teams.
I said Rehbein was sold on him. But he was a scout, and he was not the one making the final call each round on whose name was sent up. Rehbein thought he would be really good, and Rehbein had enough sway with BB and Pioli to get Brady drafted, but not as early as he (Brady) should have been.

feltdizz
05-02-2018, 11:42 AM
I said Rehbein was sold on him. But he was a scout, and he was not the one making the final call each round on whose name was sent up. Rehbein thought he would be really good, and Rehbein had enough sway with BB and Pioli to get Brady drafted, but not as early as he (Brady) should have been.

cool story.

thanks for the info.